TSNVol writes:

in response to Plasticman:

AMEN BROTHER!!!

utclassof1992 writes:

in response to shoalcreekvol:

I'm sick and tired of the players acting like a bunch of whiny, spoiled children. It's been a problem for a long time, but it reached a high point this week after CPF's, ummm, resignation.

Memo to players: You freakin' lied to us. You ran around crying and screaming about injustice, lashing out against the AD and school that gave you a chance you obviously don't deserve, and bellowing about poor Coach Fulmer and how he has been mistreated. You said playing for him was like being part of a family and that you were going to give all you have to send him out on top. You said you'd honor him.

You lied.

Worse than just lying, you did the one thing your great leader was too proud to EVER do: You quit. You rolled over. Pansies.

And for that you will forever be the team that turns my stomach. And you're the only team about which I've ever said you don't deserve to wear the orange. You're a mixed bag of solid players, great players, and division III players, but collectively you're a pathetic bunch of undisciplined wimps.

If there was really "justice" in all this, as you demand, you'd play the last two games in pink jerseys. The orange deserves better.

I am in favor of gray jerseys, white numbers, white pants with gray stripes, and plain white helmets for the next 2 games. This bunch does not deserve orange. They absolutely tanked that one today, and it almost looked intentional.

budrhon writes:

We knew they weren't going to a Bowl before Fulmer was let go. Duhhh!!! No one actually believed in this team after Bama.

BSweet writes:

So I wonder who's fault this is? Obviously, according to the Fulmer fans, it can't be Phil's fault as he is the end all , be all of coaches. No, this must be Hamilton's fault. Since he dismissed Phil earlier this weak he damaged these "kids" fragile psyches and they were unable to go out and perform today. Or then again, it's probably the fault of those of us who have been saying it was Phil's time to go. After all, we forced Hamilton's hand. It must be someone's fault other than Phil's, right? Please, to all of you who believe Fulmer should have been retained, remember this game. This is the proof that Fulmer's time at UT deserves to be over. It doesn't matter how great a man he is or how much his players love him, he is paid to coach and he just isn't good at it any more.

ORANGEAVENGER88 writes:

I think Kurt Russell in "Miracle" as Coach Herb Brooks said it best in the locker room scene in the Olympics:

"We don't have time for quitters like you, you CANDY-@$$!!"
Thats all our team is now is a bunch of "CANDY-@$$ LOSER QUITTERS!!!"

imnotwithphil writes:

We are the best 3-7 team in the country...

Thank God we don't play Carson-Newman this year... or Maryville College.

25lbsack writes:

What a joke of a program. Go away Phat Phil now.
Hire Leach or Gruden NOW!!!!!! Don't screw this up Hamilton!

TNisPeerless writes:

in response to burpee_von_rotweiler_IV:

"If we don't throw those (two interceptions) we win 7-0."

Yeah right. We have heard this one before. Tennesseee is only about 700 fumbles/interceptions/bad calls/other excuses from being the dominant college team of the past 17 seasons. Just shut up and play. For the last 10 games the Vols have done neither.

Fulmer's comment is quite possibly the most delusional comment uttered by a coach. He has ZERO insight, which is why he HAD to be fired. He STILL thinks that he could turn it all around if given the chance.

Alwaysthinknnextyear writes:

in response to HeckuvaStandpoint:

"If we don't throw those (two interceptions) we win 7-0.''

This quote says it all. This speaks volumes on Fulmer's attitude, and the players actions on the field are a direct reflection. Shuky Darn, we're only 274 points from being undefeated! Wow....can't wait for this guy to go....and keep him the "heck" away from all football operations in his new role.

I thought this was where the players and coaches were gonna show everyone Fulmer's dismissal was a mistake? I thought they were gonna go out an win it for the Gipper?

This is WYOMING for God's sake...they are terrible....now I have to realize that my once-proud, once-competitive Vols are worse!!'

Don't gimme that B.S. about us not having talent...we still have better players than a bad Wyoming team.

Can't wait for the new era

Great post. The comment by Fulmer once again shows the enormous ego of a man making $4 million. He just can't grasp how far this program has fell under his leadership. The buck stops with him and it will take many years for UT to recover. Don't worry he won't hesitate to work out the deal for his $6 million.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to TNisPeerless:

Delusional is accurate. We look like SDSU.

I'm not sure he fully realizes he's not coming back.

He's like a sugar cane press mule that once retired to pasture still walks in circles.

txsvol#372416 writes:

Sounds like Clawson is taking it out on Stephens. Why not play Coleman? He's already used up his redshirt, and if he can't play now, he can't play for these coaches. Thankfully, he will have a new group next year. SAVol

hotrodvol writes:

Fulmer does not deserve to stay around in any form. He needs to do a Johnny Majors, and stay away. Clawson is the worst OC in football, I know our QBs are bad but someone are not coaching them up either.
How were they convincing recruits to come here I don't know, maybe they could become used car salemen.
It's time to clean house, and take BOB KEASLING with you {awful}!!!

yeavols#228407 writes:

in response to 99gator:

no one is being retained. i would not want anyone retained.

i would want a "junction boys" offseason to run off the people who don't belong at a school like tennessee and free up scholarships for people who want to play hard and pursue excellence.

There might be something to this idea..i wonder if we can get it published in the locker room?

volnmdtn writes:

Question? Fulmer is going to get his 6 million buyout over the next 48 months for the contract that is already in place. Is Fulmer going to be given a job in the athletic department at Tennessee? Most news outlets say yes. If so, is he going to be paid a salary for that position as well as getting his buyout deal? Just want to know!!!

allntl1#565211 writes:

Odd that this upset did not get as much attention as the Appalac. State upset over Mich last year. In the end Mich. was no better than this UT team and Appal. State was a far superior team than Wyoming. I believe this was even a bigger loss and shows just how far the program has fallen.

tennisvol writes:

Fulmer has taken the UT program from the penthouse to the outhouse.

invisiblekid writes:

in response to TommyJack:

I bent over backward to defend Clawson. Man, was I wrong.

Amen to that. Going to keep an eye on him for a few years just to see if I was that stupid or if mitigating factors played into the process.

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

Two suggestions

First to Mike Hamilton- remove the clause that the new coach must honor all scholarships that have already been given.. some players deserve to be kicked off of this team.

Second to all of us Vol fans. I think a message needs to be sent... I think we need to pack the Thompson-Boling Arena for the UT Home opener in basketball, and leave Neyland Stadium empty. Neither Philip Fulmer NOR the Seniors on this team deserve any kind of warm sendoff given the "leadership" they've shown this year. I think Neyland should only have about 10,000 people there, all wearing blue. If they're going to quit on UT, we're going to quit on them. They need to see that, the younger players need to see that. That sign that says "I'll give my all for Tennessee today" needs to be taken down until next season too... because that's just a running joke at this point.

tennisvol writes:

February 1, 2005 Scout.com Top Recruiting classes in football
#1 Tennessee
4 star - Nick Stephens
What happened?

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to KingsportVol:

True.

I broke the news to Ma this AM that there is no Shreveport for the holidays.

Why did she say, "I am reminded that God knows best on a daily basis"?

She said she'd bear up under the disapointment.

memphistnvol writes:

in response to tennisvol:

February 1, 2005 Scout.com Top Recruiting classes in football
#1 Tennessee
4 star - Nick Stephens
What happened?

Stephens wasn't developed by the coaches.

Stephens got his first college playing time the week after Auburn.

Stephens was poised and in control until last week.

He threw his first pick (which was inevitable).

I think the coaches' reactions to the pick were heavy-handed. Stephens was punished more for that single pick than Crompton had been for mistakes in the first four games.

I think Stephen's confidence and psyche were shaken by the overblown coach reactions.

Hence, this week, Stephens lost his mojo and threw two picks. The seeds for the picks against Wyoming were planted in Stephen's mind last week (by the coaches who showed no faith in him).
JMHO

tnbigg writes:

in response to tngilmer:

Whatever school Fulmer goes to next, please go with him.

A M E N...

tnbigg writes:

in response to mbible1utk#324980:

Two suggestions

Best post of the day...and there are many posts...

blitzshoot writes:

Let's all pack the stands for Phillip Fulmer Day at the K-Y game...LOL...The biggest cheer this pathetic coach will here all year will be when he walks off the field after losing to K-Y and the fans know he will never step foot on it again! Play the scout team. Give some kids a chance to play that appreciate it......if not, remove the T from the helmets. this bunch do not deserve to wear it. It's a disgrace to those in the past that fought for it.

arkyvol writes:

if nothing else, this fiasco tells me that the next few years are going to be baaad! and that's regardless of who they sucker into becoming head coach. outside of berry, i don't see anybody much better than third string if they were at florida, georgia, lsu, or bama. i just hope whoever it is is a good judge of talent. that requires more effort than just counting the stars assigned by these recruiting tip sheets. if those guys knew what the hell they were talking about, crompton would be appearing in the same sentence as heisman. he ain't.

DanvilleVolMan writes:

I am totally speechless. Tony Barnhardt said on CBS that he was really disappointed in Tennessee's effort considering what had 'happened' in Knoxville this week. There's never been a more correct statement. They don't deserve to wear the Orange and the T's on the helmet should be taken off. I've NEVER seen a more uninspired team than this one, excluding Eric Berry. But then again, it's a reflection on the coaching staff. How in the hell do we NOT beat Wyoming...?!?!? As horrendous as our rushing game has been this year (didn't think I would ever say that), you would think that we could at least run on Wyoming and score enough on the ground to win. Good Lord.......Kentucky's going to beat us this year and I NEVER, EVER thought I would say that........

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to arkyvol:

Nailed it.

I always raise my eyebrows when I read fans talking about how much "talent"???) we have.

And we have coached "nobody up"!

TheMagician writes:

Fulmer's quote is typical...

"If we don't throw those (two interceptions) we win 7-0.''

I'm sorry, but I have heard that line too long...IF?...IF????

How about this one Coach...IF you had done a better job with this team, we wouldn't be in this mess. IF you had done better with player development we wouldn't be the cellar dwellers of the SEC. IF you cared about this university you wouldn't take the 6M. That is unearned money IMO...

poof!

Bufforange00 writes:

Maybe Mike can reassign fulmer to be the team's nutritionist.

BigVolinCarolina writes:

"If we don't throw those (two interceptions) we win 7-0.", Fulmer said.

WOW! Cannot believe that he actually said that. Yes, a win's a "win", but woul 7-0 against Wyoming be satisfying?

I wanted Randy Sanders fired long before the 2005 season and was glad to see it finally come about; however, I'm realizing now that I just might owe the guy an apology. It's obvious who had the thumbprint on the play-calling--and it's still obvious today.

volcop writes:

2 more losses to go 3-9

ncvol17 writes:

Posters keep saying keep this coach or another. New coaches generally keep 1 coach who knows the HS contacts. They clean house and bring along their own staff. Chavis will be long gone along with the other coaches. Get used to it.. all new coaches next year.

volcop writes:

This bunch couldn't win in the high school playoff this year

TommyJack writes:

Staff? New guy will sweep'em all out.

utmdm writes:

in response to hiresanders:

K = Knucklehead which fits you perfectly

bammervol writes:

Please! Please! hire Mike Leach. The guy is an offensive genius!

Retiredvol writes:

Hey Hamilton that raise and extension you gave him last year qualifies both of you as IDIOTS'!!!!

philfan writes:

in response to turfgrassalumni:

"If we don't throw those (two interceptions) we win 7-0.''

Man, if only we could have dominated Wyoming like that. Give me a break! This is the entire problem! 7-0 over wyoming? This is the "if only" statement of the game? That is a horrible attempt at positive spin. The reality of it is we are no longer mediocre. We are much less. Its sad that it has come to this, but.....IT HAS. No looking back this was the right decision to save whatever is left of pride in Knox. The person named to fill this spot has no where to take the program but up from here. At least now I can look forward to next September.

I just want the football season to be done and over with. Maybe we can regain some respectability with wins over Kentucky and Vanderbilt. Hope we get a young fiery intelligent coach who will be an offensive genius to rival Meyer and Richt. I just want this season to be finished.

blitzshoot writes:

Does anyone know how the Fulmer show went?

flvolgal writes:

I'm going to a bowl game this year, but I'll be supporting my husband's team. A small team where none of the players really think they are goin pro, but belive is Integrity First, Service Before Self and Honor in All We Do. A team where none of the players get a scholarship. A team where they play with heart and pride. A team that sustained a mere one point loss against a larger, stronger, better equiped Tennessee team last year and a team that actually beat the Wyoming Cowboys this year. All I can say is Go Air Force. I am just disgusted by the lack of pride and honor displayed by my Vols. Take off their orange jerseys until they develop some values and pride.

blitzshoot writes:

in response to flvolgal:

Well said. Good luck at the bowl game. Go Air Force!
Hopefully you can be proud of the Vols again in a couple of years, but it will take some serious cleaning first.

TIDE29viles9 writes:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
this is what vile fans have to look forward to every year.
getting beat at your own homecoming by teams like wyoming.
Neyland stadium is now Bryant Denny North.
29-9 ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

budrhon writes:

We're the North Texas State Alumini and we approve of this win by Wyoming.

mytrifecta writes:

I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist but it's not much of a stretch to believe this was a message being sent to Mike Hamilton from the players. Not being bowl eligible cost the university millions as well as loss of exposure. I truly believe this was their way of making a statement to their AD. Plus the coaches are saying all the right things to the media about continuing to work hard and prepare for the remaining games but they're clearly doing nothing but updating their resume. I've been a Fulmer supporter over the years but the depths he's allowed this program to reach will long overshadow the success he had.

woodwr#217203 writes:

in response to TSNVol:

AMEN BROTHER!!!

Of all the potential offensive staffs, Dave Clawson assembled perhaps the only staff which could return 10 starters from last year's SEC East representatives, and play this badly.

If Fulmer had only brought back Randy Sanders or promoted Trooper Taylor, this team would have been 7-3 and favored to win out.

If if he had opened the phone book and hired any offensive coordinator from any other school, this team would have beaten everyone but Florida & Georgia & Alabama.

Isn't it ironic that at UT, with nepotistic almost incestuous coaching staff, where only almuni and former assistants are considered,it was the first "outsider" hire that ended the Majors-Fulmer dynasty.

Isn't it ironic that the only fresh hire brought down the dynasty and more ironic that instead of promoting a coordinator (Chavis) or bringing back an Alum successful coordinator (Steele) the posters call for a fresh hire.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Will the last "Ite" out, flip the light switch?

Thanks

Hudro writes:

in response to HeckuvaStandpoint:

"If we don't throw those (two interceptions) we win 7-0.''

Can't wait for the new era

I think only freshmen,reshirt freshmen, and walkons should make the trip to Nashville. Taylor, Rogers, Briscoe, Foster etc should be left at home. I have never seen a more half hearted effort and I have been watching games since the 70's.