yeavols#228407 writes:

Watched the game on TV and saw the VOL road warriors make some noise. GOOD TO SEE! Keep up the good work...Great game..Congrats..Any win against Georgia is just about as good as it gets.

Ironcity writes:

in response to redneckerson:

Hey Iron, just can't see what you saw with Hopson. I mean, imo, it is good that he played fewer minutes and, therefore, didn't jack up as many rainbows. But the kid just has zero defensive skills and no concept of team basketball- poor kid had a chance to make something happen on the play where he came from behind but he just ran over the GA guy. My hope is that he's been sufficiently humbled to buy into the CBP system.

Maze did seem to grow up some and he at least puts forth the effort on D - need him to be a difference mnaker.

I still think CBP finds a way to break the fillies. Was hoping he would shorten the rotation and he did - hopefully, the young guys will have to buy in to earn more PT going forward.

I really think Maze has a great offensive game when he is into it however we haven't had a point guard play as bad of dee as he plays since Pearl got here. Zach Swansey was just abusing him.

I am probably most disappointed in Josh Tabb. I really thought he would step up this year and be a key contributor however his defense has regressed and he doesn't seem to have any awareness of whats going on. I haven't seen him on the deck yet and when a play is there for the making sometimes it seems he doesn't even realize it.

It could be that he is pressing and hopefully as he gets comfortable as the back up point guard he will pick his game up.

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

Football is officially over in TN. Ravens-13, Titans-10

Ironcity writes:

in response to Ironcity:

Reds last year I read a bunch of post after the first four games questioning Smith. Its hard to believe now but most fans on this site tend to post based on one play or one game and post.

By the way I looked at the box score and Hopsons numbers weren't to bad he hit 50% of his stots and 50% of his threes. He would have had to miss his next 8 3's to catch up to Tatum.

Not dishing on Tatum because I was excited to see him step up after throwing up 7 bricks then drilling one late which we haven't had a lot of players do.

Sorry for butchering the this post guys.

rabidvol1998 writes:

in response to usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid:

Football is officially over in TN. Ravens-13, Titans-10

It's still recruiting season.

Thanks for your service.

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to rabidvol1998:

It's still recruiting season.

Thanks for your service.

Honored and proud, rabidvol...

good point about recruiting season.

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

We do get ESPN out here, so should be able to catch the game. CAN'T wait! TBA will be rockin'! Here's to another 37-game home streak!!

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

I am a little confused about something... ESPN thinks UT is 25th ranked... the article here says they're 15th. Is there really THAT much of a disparity in the polls?

allvol9 writes:

Great road win....and fantastic comeback. Would have been better if we had not lost the lead...but way to show poise on the road. Tyler was fantastic! Go Vols!

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to CatScratchFever:

CatScratch,

Read the article, and you're right, I actually enjoyed reading it... pretty accurate, fair and balanced.(little FoxNews lingo there)

volwalk writes:

in response to CatScratchFever:

Good article...I hope we can live up to it. The Cats and the V0ls Tuesday night at Tommy Bowl, it doesn't get much better than that!

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Great pics on online athens.com.

volwalk writes:

Cat,

You could probably snag some tickets--if you are willing to pay, but yea I agree HD and LCD makes it easier to stay home with the family and enjoy. I must admit it looks as though Gillispie is finally getting the buyin from his players and they are beginning to play like the Big Blue. It should be another great game, Tuesday night.

Volumni writes:

You freakin' morons: a win on the road where one or two players step up and get us a win, and all you want to do is whine.......shut up!

Quality win when we really needed it. Everything else is phooey....... we needed this./

volwalk writes:

in response to Volumni:

AGREE!
Whenever 45 to 60% of your team in freshman or first year D-1 starters and you pull out a tough victory on the road...YeeHah!!

GR82BAVOL writes:

LOL...I like it Volumni.

That was a "growing up" game. You could see it happening little by little.

What about about Tyler? WOW!

About Hopson...I don't know what game some of you were watching, but he looked good this game. Whichever poster said he ran right through that dude trying to knock the ball away from behind, stop paying attention to what the announcers say and watch the darned tape...the Ga player clearly made a move back to the right, making it LOOK like he ran through him.

in response to OLDVOL:

I too live in NC and was able to watch the game on local charter cable channel 4. I think it is channel 64 from Salisbury. Vols looked good down the stretch. Played with emotion and toughness. Still can,t shoot 3s.

Time-Warner Cable here in Greensboro, so no such luck. I agree this was a MUCH better performance late than we got in OT against Gonzaga. I always thought shooting the three would be a weakness for this team but I didn't think it would be THIS bad.

vailvol writes:

in response to blitzshoot:

I moved away a good distance from my office and where my son trains. I will be traveling many miles each night in south Florida. Does anyone know that if I install satelite radio, if I can pick up any UT basketball games or UT sports programming.

i would suggest going to XM / Sirius's website. i am sure it will tell you.

in response to volwalk:

Stop the hating on Hopson!!! Some of you guys are idiots and probably never played the game of basketball in your life. If you did, you realize that sometimes the ball doesn't bounce your way and the more you push the worst it gets. Hopson is a true freshman with lots of pressure--in time he will find his game for the SEC college level and will be the player we all hoped he would become. Some of you haters are the same ones that were bad mouthing JP after the Gonzaga game. JP played a much better game today with his dribble drive and played a key role in the victory today. Keep improving Vols, there are fans out here that still believe that this year could be very special.

GO VOLS!

Not to say that there AREN'T haters on here, but it can't be said that Scotty is an unmitigated success so far. After all, there ARE freshmen, some much less-heralded than he was coming in, who are steady contributors for teams that are better than the Vols right now. I have said myself of JP that he CAN be great on one occasion and hardly shows up on others. That's not hate, that's just telling it like it is. I root for the Vols as sincerely as anyone else, but I respect the GAME too much to say everything is great when it clearly is not. I'm pulling for them to improve just as much as you are.

in response to Ironcity:

Are you sure those questioning Tyler weren't Memphis or UK trolls? About the worst thing I remember any VOL fan saying about Tyler was that he wasn't ready for the NBA yet; hardly a slam, IMHO.

in response to Ironcity:

Good points. I too was hoping for more at both ends from both of them. Hopefully it's not too late, but it is hard to see how we can win the conference or do anything in the NCAAs without better performance from the PG position.

in response to usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid:

Football is officially over in TN. Ravens-13, Titans-10

Looks like its about over here in NC, too. So much for my hopes of a Titans-Panthers Super Bowl!

volwalk writes:

John,

I like you hoped Hopson would come in and light it up, for whatever reason its taken him longer to adjust to the college game. I think he will be fine in a few more games as long as he uses the dribble drive vs. shoot the 3. Yes, I agree JP can at times look great and then not so great...hopefully we will see more consistency from him, because he is one of the veterans on this team. Your arguments are very fair and I like you have some of the same frustrations..I just hate it when some folks come on this site and start throwing in the towel and calling for CBP's head----those guys are idiots!

in response to usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid:

Of course, they won't be ranked at all when the new polls come out; but, yes, in the current AP poll they are ranked 15th and in the ESPN/Coaches Poll they are 25th. Media types love CBP but coaches hate him. For that matter, Vol fans love him while Vol opponents' fans hate him. Go figure(;-P)!

redneckerson writes:

in response to GR82BAVOL:

LOL...I like it Volumni.

That was a "growing up" game. You could see it happening little by little.

What about about Tyler? WOW!

you're right GR8, can't be AirBall's issue - the dadgum GA player "made a move." It's not fair to expect a freshman to play D if the opposing team's players are gonna make moves.

I'm certainly not "hating" but, again, the first time this year that this team has shown some cohesiveness and heart came when the rotation was shortened and some of these guys who won't or can't buy into CBP ball spent a little more time on the bench. It ain't a coincidence.

Barring injury trouble, Pearl will find a way to push this bunch to the SEC championship and some of these guys are gonna have to decide if they want be part of it or if they'd rather just watch.

askUncleMaze writes:

in response to Ironcity:

I was at this game and Scotty Hopson really looked good not sure what you saw. He is young and I think its good for him to come off the bench. Same as Woolridge. I think he is a guy that when he is hot he can get us a lot of points in a short time however he should never start.

UGA is a weak team and we played lousy in the first half however when we needed it, they got it going.

I was excited to see Maze start playing like a point guard on offense. When he starts getting in the lane things open up. His defense still stinks and I doubt it will get much better but I don't see Tabb doing much to take his minutes away.

What game are you watching? Please give me a break....out of all the UT players you say B.Maze defense stinks... Do you need GLASSES?

DandyVol writes:

I would be the first to admit that I don't know all the little things about basketball, but I have noticed a difference between the vols warming up and Gonzaga warming up. Our 3 pt shooters warm up by shooting and after a bit make 50% of their shots. Gonzaga warmed up their 3 pt shooters with a pressure guard in their face which forced the shooter to make a move before shooting and the shot had to be quick as the guard was still trying to guard the shooter. IE, our guys a ready to take a 3 if they are wide open with no pressure and Gonzaga was ready to shake a guard and shoot quick. I know you guys will jump on me if this doesn't matter, but is is something I noticed. I believe they finally did good against GA, but GA is not at the same level which Kansas and Gonzaga are at.

Volgrad777 writes:

If you honestly dont think this was a better team effort than Temple your nutts. Hopson got to the basket a few times , thats what he needs to do , what he was recruited to do. I watched the guy play 20 times in high school , his ability is unlimited if he can get his confidence going. I honestly think going heads up with Tyler might have dented his confidence a little , but i think in the long run that will help. Against the zone tyler was flashing to the high post and making shots and plays from there. Guards moved the ball well and penetrated , in connection with that we got some easy dunks and layups around the basket. Defense was even a little better, a few turnovers at key times. This was a HUGE win , anytime you win on the road in the SEC its huge. They learned how to put one away on the road. It amazes me some of you guys dont see that and cant look past a couple of tough losses to great teams. Get over yourselves and get behind the vols

richvol writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I wholeheartedly agree with every point you made.

Tyler Smith...what a performance on one leg. He has the heart of a Lion.

I actually saw improvement in the Vols but (I hate to say it) after watching Kentucky play a couple of recent games they are better than we are right now and should beat UT tuesday.

Ironcity writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I am going back to November of 2007 when discussing negative post on Tyler. That could be where the confusion is.

Ironcity writes:

in response to askUncleMaze:

There is a reason every point guard we play goes off on us. Maze just doesn't have much lateral quickness nor the strength to handle quality point guards. He never seems to cut off the drive. Don't get me wrong, I like Maze but I just don't think he is capable of holding any reasonably capable point guard down. That would be OK if Tabb would come in and give us quality defensive minutes, but if anything, he has been worse.

Ironcity writes:

in response to Volgrad777:

I think in Hopsons case he put a lot of pressure on himself because he wants to go pro after this year. I imagine its rather humbling to get it handed to you by guys from Belmont and the likes. Doesn't mean he isn't talented and starting to pick up his game. As he gets more comfortable in his role on the team I think we will see all phases of his game dramatically improve. I really believe yesterday was a first step.

jeffreysunshine writes:

oooo.....I'm so impressed.....Now try and name a top 35 team that this Bruce Pearl team could beat....and women's teams don't count!

Volumnus writes:

in response to Ironcity:

IC,

Much of what you and John both say are true. The crux of the matter is that the lack of defensive production is a talent recruitment and a coaching issue. This team was recruited to be an offensive power house. I think the coaching staff went for the best recruits, ranking service wise, that they could get. They thought or hoped that they could coach enough defense into them. In many cases good defenders don't mature into good offensive players early and vice versa. It is a different mind set. The people who post on these boards, act as if these kids are PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES. They are not. Tyler Smith is still a junior in College. The freshman and juco kids are even less mature. They have all had their moments good and bad, it will continue. The people criticizing them should think about what they themselves were doing at 19 to 21 years old. When I looked at this roster, I was leary of the adjustment period. All we are really missing is a true defensive specialist.... but then everyone will gripe because rivals.com never really rates a defensive specialist very high, if at all. The banter will then be why did they recruit him, he is not even on Rivals 100?? Well we need him now, whoever "he" is, no matter why he was not ranked. That is not to knock the kids we have, they are all doing great. It is a big transition to go up a level, even bigger to be asked to play real defense for the first time.

The Coaching staff will get it right. Maybe not in time, but they will get it right. And just in case anyone has not noticed 2 levels deep in March will be good. And CBP has been saying all along "were are overrated". He has been being honest with us and as a group we have not listened. Revise your expectations, appreciate the growth of these YOUNG student athletes, and have a good time with it. News flash we won't win the NCAA, this year....

Oh and note to CBP: Recruit an off the bench defensive oriented point to help Maze and plan for the future. Someone like the kid on Ray's ESG this summer. See, I can't remember his name, his number or his school, but I know he was young and fast and a heck of a defensive presence and a good ball handler... but by and large defensive specialist fly just under the radar.

GR82BAVOL writes:

Good post Volumnus.

I have all the confidence in the world in CBP and the team. Pearl is a proven winner at every level in this crazy game and I hope he's here for a very long time. The team is young and it's going to take awhile for them to gel. I don't think it'll be this season either. If they make it to the sweet 16 again, I'd consider this season an enormus success. As long as Tyler stays put, we should really start getting it done next season.

Ironcity writes:

As much as we don't want to admit it, the loss of Ramar Smith really has hurt this team. Remember we picked up Maze well after the Spring signing period and he was really a desperation move base on Ramars inability to stop partying. When Ramar had his head on straight he was a tough cookie both offensively and defensively.

I wonder how he is doing at Ok. City College?

PennVol writes:

Nice to seem some toughness in the 2nd half, especially from Smith and Maze. Not much production from Hopson, Woolridge, Negedu, Williams...yet. Still giving up too many lay-ups.

Hudro writes:

in response to blitzshoot:

I have XM satelite radio and they carry the SEC so you can usually get all the basketball and football games around the conference.

CoachFulmer writes:

Brian Williams is HORRIBLE. He needs to get pissed when hes in the paint. With a bodyframe like Shaq, you shouldnt be doing hook shots while you can be dunking over skinner centers the SEC has to offer.

in response to askUncleMaze:

It might not be fair to say B.Maze's defense IN PARTICULAR stinks, compared to the other perimeter players. However, IMHO, his defense hasn't been particularly outstanding and the other team's PG's have had great games against US, if not specifically against B.Maze. The thing is, we need him to be an OUTSTANDING defender, especially if everyone is so bad, if this team is to make a real push. Maybe we are all putting too much pressure on him, but, after all, from all I have heard, he calls HIMSELF "The Solution".

douglasawilliams#582863 writes:

in response to Carlitovol:

This game shows that even though this team has a long way to go, these guys do have heart and they do have what it takes to win a hard-fought game.

Hats off to Tyler for a great all-around game - especially taking it strong to the rack. B-Maze looked solid and I think he's finally starting to get comfortable with the other guys on the floor...

I really think playing those difficult games against quality competition prior to the SEC schedule is going to pay huge dividends - and this is an example of drawing from those game experiences and digging deep to get an SEC road win.

Bottom line - build on this victory, fellas! Take it to the Cats on Tuesday!

Bobby Maze did play well. The drive he made to the basket late in the game was awesome and what we needed. Its all about defense and being consistent. Need players like Hopson and Williams to play better defense. We get beat on way too many give and go's and backcourt cuts.

in response to DandyVol:

Well, surely you've seen that if anyone tries to point out any subtleties of the game, SOMEONE will jump on them, but I think you may be onto something. The old adage is "Practice like you plan to play; play like you did in practice." On the face of it, we would lose nothing to warm up with more focus in general; slow starts have been a problem in some games. For example, I have noticed that even in the layup line, they just flip the ball up any which way, not even knowing if the shots go in. Think this might be a reason why we miss so many layups in games? I dunno, could be! There is no down-side to warming up with a purpose. Now, just watch; some DA will come on here blustering that none of this matters--just play, baby! Well, if we were nailing a decent percentage of our 3-pointers and sticking all our lay-ups, maybe it WOULDN'T matter.

murrayvol writes:

in response to DandyVol:

In the spirit of "no good comment should go unjumped" here you go.

You make a good point. I went to the Marquette game in Nashville and did not see any rhyme or reason to the warmups. Showboating, 360's, 180's, bounce ball/dunk, anything but what you would (or at least should) do in a game.

I think this contributes to our inability to "finish plays" around the basket consistently. JMO

murrayvol writes:

in response to johnlg00:

If I had read your post to DandyVol, I would've offered a second and moved on. Agreed w/all your points.

askUncleMaze writes:

in response to johnlg00:

AHH NO.. that was the name given to him when he arrived @ UT.. What game are you watching out of 14 games maybe 2-3 other PG had good games against B.Maze...

in response to askUncleMaze:

OK, if he didn't call himself that, then I apologize. Don't get me wrong, I'm a FAN of B.Maze; I think he IS an upgrade over our most recent crop of PGs. But those "2-3 other PG[s]" who had good games against us were the really GOOD ones, playing for the kind of teams we have to beat to be taken seriously on the national scene. Maze himself admitted that until Forbes laced into him during the UGA game that he hadn't been performing up to his OWN expectations; I just want him to play consistently the way HE thinks he ought to be playing!

askUncleMaze writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I agree... B.Maze needs to stop trying to please everybody and play hard...I know he better than what we have seen from him... I will be @ the UK game. I hope he goes hard out on the floor..

in response to askUncleMaze:

Wish I could be at the game with you. I WILL be watching on the tube, and would love nothing better than to see B.Maze and the rest of the guys GO OFF on the Big Blue! Tell him that all true Vol fans are pulling for him! GO B.MAZE!!! GO BASKETVOLS!!!