OrangeCrush writes:

I would like to see Prince return to his previous form. He seems a little preoccupied with something. Keep it real JP and things will turn in your favor.

Mr_Brownstone writes:

in response to spacehistorian:

My Alma Mater played tenaciously & if they could have knocked down some more treys, this could have been a "down to the wire" game. The Bucs run the same up-tempo style that BP wants the Vols to run so the score was lower than expected. The chemistry seems to be lacking for UT which reminds me of last season. I hope BP hits the right notes with this team which can be a great team when they play to their potential. As for my Bucs, I expect them to return to the Big Dance & this year knock off a #2 in the first round. As for the Vols, Sweet Sixteen at a minimum, if we catch fire at the right time, Final Four (hopefully.)

put down the crack pipe

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to ChattTownVol:

You know if this team were to beat Kansas and Kentucky...or even just one of those teams all of the people on here talking bad about Pearl would be his biggest fan. Im sick and tired of (at least from what I can tell) the amount of fair weather fans on this forum and in the UT fan base as a whole. ETSU is a very good team. I didnt expect to blow them out.

I couldn't agree more..THANK YOU FOR THAT POST!!!

rbhobbs73#226545 writes:

I like Bruce Pearl.

However, I do not like his "flex" offense in the half court. Good half court defensive teams usually beat us.

JP Prince should not see the court. He has very little offensive game and plays matador defense. He cherry picks more in college basketball than the guys at the YMCA for pick up ball.

We have some talented players, but outside of Tyler Smith, our basketball I.Q. is very low.

I normally like the "no time out" philosophy at the end of games, but this team doesn't have the basketball I.Q. to know what to do.

I think Pearl will shorten the bench as we move to conference play.

If your expectations of Tennessee basketball is Final Four or bust, be prepared to be disappointed at least 90% of the time. Enjoy the ride and see where it goes.

Go Vols!

DC_Vol writes:

in response to PETE_BELL:

All Right Pete here is your chance,

Tell us how you would rank these coaches one to four?

Pearl
Green
Peterson
Houston

Explain to us why each of the above three coaches are better than Pearl. Also support your reasoning with statistics where possible.

in response to VOLKING:

If you think Morristownvol's are dumb, you should read the ones he posts as PETEBELL. This guy is an old codger who doesn't like Pearl's style of coaching. He sounds like a lot of fun to be around. An old coot who has 2 screennames so he can cry about how Pearl is the worst coach in college hoops. This guy needs a life. Oh wait, his whole life is bashing Pearl and calling anyone who disagrees with him a 'Pearl worshiper.' He's an interloper from Memphis as well. Poor guy. I almost feel sorry for him.

No, I think PETEBELL is the former A_VOICE_OF_REASON. Although so far slightly less prone to call every dissenter an idiot or worse, the tone of Pete's posts is more like that of AVOR. His criticism of CBP does seem to go beyond mere dissatisfaction with some aspects of the team's play, but that doesn't mean he is always wrong on the latter subject.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to golfin_blondie:

Come on guys it is still earlier in the season. Let's wait and see what SEC play has for us. I see an improvement over last year's team and I think we will get stronger as the year goes on. Let's play the game before we pass judgment.

Totally agree that we will get stronger as the season goes on....I definitely don't complain about UT basketball because CBP has taken it to a place it has never been!!!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to CarlChilders:

Bruce Pearl is the greatest thing that ever happened to UT basketball consistently taking it to a level never before realized including the brief King, Grunfeld, Ellis era peaks. It just doesn't seem to be good enough for a lot of the faithful anymore.

"It just doesn't seem to be good enough for a lot of the faithful anymore."

....AND IT NEVER WILL NO MATTER HOW MUCH SUCCESS WE HAVE UNDER CBP!!!

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to colt:

I can,t believe there are so many idiots on this site. If you don't like our team and coach then pull for cats at Ky. We true TN fans don't give a damn about your female doging.

AMEN!!!

in response to wayoutwill:

I think I will have to disagree with you about the Vols lack of intensity,you obviously don't realize the facts about ETSU and this program and this Coach.They are very much for real.One SEC basketball team already found out.I don't know why you want to comment that you know of two players that don't need to be on the floor,then somehow omit the two player's name.Are we supposed to guess at your mystery players or was two a conveinent number you decided to throw out there?The fact is that the Vols beat a good team tonite and that's really the bottom line.They made some mental mistakes,but not from a lack of intensity,just bad decisions that cost them during the game.I thought the Vols looked pretty good in a game that stands as one of those (no way to win wins)--if they won,-so what,they should have and if they lost,-look out,the sky is falling!The real truth is that the Vols are looking pretty sharp so far into this young season and are a whisker away from being ranked in the spot that Purdue currently holds,which is #4 if I'm right on the rankings!Lookout NCAA as well as SEC teams 'cause the Vols are headed to the final four-MARK IT DOWN!--truth of the matter is that the Purdue loss was a good thang!

If it were only a couple of posters who thought the team lacked intensity last night, that would be one thing, but CBP himself said the same thing! I don't doubt that ETSU is better than their present record would indicate, but, again, CBP said on the post-game radio show that there was no way they should have gotten as many offensive rebounds for put-backs as they did. Defensive rebounding is nearly all about desire and effort, and giving up offensive rebounds to a smaller team is prima-facie evidence of lack of effort and/or lack of attention to details and fundamentals.

I think Plasticman was spot-on with his comment. Since he didn't specify two players who should have less playing time, I will supply my own: Renaldo Woolridge and JP Prince. The only player they should play ahead of on this team is Steven Pearl, and even he doesn't make as many careless, bonehead plays as they do every time they hit the court.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

in response to CatScratchFever:

Hey CatScratch..Just saying hi again..I hope you had a nice Thankgiving week!!! Thank you again for your reasonable post and you are welcome on here anytime....I see where UK beat UNCA by 37 points...You must have been pleased with that!!! I think you guys will have a good season.

Orangeblood13 writes:

I think we can all just turn everything over to Peter Bell and his Plastic Toy

the moms basement boys seem to have it all figured out.....

I guess we should just give up on Tenn basketball, I mean they have only finished 1st or 2nd in the SEC with Pearl at the helm. couple sweet 16's, #1 ranking, before him we had scraps

yup, you guys don't need our kool aid, keep drinkin moms teet milk in the basement and go back a website where someone gives a phooey.

Hayezb writes:

in response to fundamentals83:

Prince's value on defense is beginning to be offset by his liabilities on offense.

I was about to say the same thing. He needs to leave the fancy stuff to Smith, he tries to hard to be in the spotlight.

carlsusanellis#574472 writes:

What happened to CBP's plan of playing a tough preconference schedule so we would have a better RPI and a better seeding in the NCAA tournament?

in response to rbhobbs73#226545:

I like Bruce Pearl.

I think Pearl will shorten the bench as we move to conference play.

Go Vols!

Good post; agree with all. CBP must see some things in JP that the rest of us aren't seeing this year. He is like a golfer who always goes for the birdie with every shot from the woods when the best thing thing to do sometimes is just to pitch it out on the fairway and try to save par. It's as if he doesn't think a play will end up on the SportsCenter highlights, there is no point in making it.

I sincerely HOPE CBP will shorten the bench in conference play. Very few good teams go more than eight deep, barring serious foul trouble. That is why they are usually crisper and more confident in late-game situations, i.e., they are used to playing with each other and know what they can count on each other to do in key situations.

in response to BolivarBob:

Good points. In fact, there is a LOT to like about this team. My complaints are ONLY about the tendency of the team to drift away from the principles of sound play WAY too often. No one can control whether or not shots are falling on a given night, but one can ALWAYS control what shots are TAKEN or what moves are ATTEMPTED. Some things are just wrong to try, even if they occasionally work. Our tendency to try for a lob play on seemingly every possession is a particular peeve of mine. It can be a devastating play under the right circumstances, but just throwing it up there HOPING the receiver can convert is just dumb, IMHO.

Carlitovol writes:

For all you Bruce haters out there:

Keep rockin' CBP!

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to PETE_BELL:

I don't understand why you spend time posting here instead of spending your time applying for Pearl's job. You obviously know alot more about coaching top ten talent than he does. So, why aren't you doing it?

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to PETE_BELL:

You certainly appear to be a kool-aid drinker to me. You are obsessive about Pearl in the way the floridalopers are about Kiffin. You cannot possibly be a true UT fan if you are incessantly blistering Pearl for the performance of his teams without any praise whatsoever for the obvious improvement in that performance over the previous umpteen coaches in this program. The lack of ANY positives about such a comparatively successful program gives you away as NOT a UT fan.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to PETE_BELL:

Given the improvement in the program and what Pearl's teams have shown over his predecesors, there must be SOMETHING positive you can say about him. I challenge you to give us your your POSITIVE thoughts on Pearl, if you have any.

rbromley7#241642 writes:

Yes, the level is better. We will probably be at the wedding, but closer to the kitchen door than the head table. At present, over-rated and under coached. What is the offensive & defensive philosophy? It is still early in the season.

Fryinpansvols writes:

I agree with most that our Vols played poorly and struggled with closing the game out. Not sure why? Maybe playing down to the competition? Either case, I hope we get it together soon! GBO!

KnoxTennVol writes:

in response to VOLKING:

He might be MorristownVol or PETE_BELL, but I think it is the VOICE_OF_REASON who said he would disappear forever. He is still here with these other names spouting off about how bad Pearl is in spite of his coaching records that say otherwise. If it were up to him he would have Buzz back and then we all would have something to complain about. We should just do ourselves a favor and never read or reply to PETE_BELL, MorristownVol or VOICE_OF_REASON if he ever shows up with that name again.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to KnoxTennVol:

It's not that Pete/Voice/The Vol wants Buzz back or anything else. All he wants is for people to know he is somebody because he knows somebody that is a somebody.

geraldodell#1377039 writes:

in response to fundamentals83:

Another thing about Prince is when he screws up he has a tendency to either lie on the floor are not push himself to get back down the floor to play some defense. I just see a lack of hustle here. Scotty also has the same type intensity and he still gets out physicaled a lot. When that happens he doesnt product much offensively.

Ironcity writes:

in response to PETE_BELL:

UT was an underdog last year in the first road so whats your point?

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to Walkman:

Your not the first to make this observation; With such high hopes for this season seems like the home crowd would be more fired up...No lack of enthusiasm on this web site

wayoutwill writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Well John,that's just your opinion and possibly others,I never knew a Coach,from Pearl to Knight that will brag on their team's mental focus and/or intensity after a ragged win over their little brother,but the fact is that the Vols played the same way that they have all year,they may have gotten a little towards the celebratory focus at that point that J.P. tried to finish a dunk to put them up by eleven late that backfired and pushed the game close a little longer,and that may be mental focus,but never lack of intensity,as far as sitting J.P. down,that's total crapola.this team will go a lot further with J.P. on the court than without him.He is a nitemare for other team's to match-up with and he should never be out of the rotation,that's just wrong.The real truth is that their isn't a single thing wrong with the Vols basketball team and you guys are chasing windmills to say different.PERIOD!NO PROBLEMS!

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to PETE_BELL:

People here aren't tagging you for being 'critical.' Hell's bells, we're all critical. No, the reason we're banging on you is because you NEVER say anything positive about the program. NEVER. Everything you say is negative, and most of that is viciously so. No one who is a true fan of a team can be like that.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to PETE_BELL:

You're admitting here that you have a personal animosity towards Pearl. Do you know him personally? Obviously, this obsession of yours with his personality is clouding your ability to objectively assess his program and the job he is doing. You need to seek some counseling, Pete.

Ironcity writes:

in response to PETE_BELL:

Hi Pete thought you had left this posting for good last night. I guess I was wrong.

First, UT will be an underdog a number of times on the road. You of all people should understand what an opposing crowd can do to a team. I have watched a number of wretched Tennessee teams beat top 10 teams in Knoxville simply do to the crowd. Look at UF during there championship years, they lost all the time on the road to inferior teams. That doesn't make the coach bad it just is what it is.

As for all the talent UT has, I think you and a number of other posters are over inflating the talent on this team.

As for underachieving, I thought that Pearls first two teams coming out of nowhere overachieved. The first year he was smart enough to put Dane at forward and the second year in spite of losing Wingate (and that was a huge loss) UT went to the sweet 16 and was one bone head play by Ramar away from getting to the elite eight.

The third year Louisville was by far the better team and more talented. We also found out after the season that our star player had gone though Kemo the summer before and it clearly affected his play. The team played to their capabilities but did not overachieve.

Last year was a brand new team with 4 new starters and 5 of their top 6 players being Freshmen or JC players and the team still managed to get to the NCAA's.

I didn't notice UF rolling after they lost most of their players after two NCAA championships in spite of great recruiting classes. That team played to capabilities but did not over achieve.

Don't get me wrong we have good talent but I have to laugh when you say we have more on paper talent then every school other then Kansas. Alabama has more stars next to there guys then UT does and we all know UK and Memphis do also.

Next point, you mentioned coach Pearl doesn't change his style. Did you even watch a game last year? We stopped pressing after the first 6 games. He adjusted to a 1/2 court game because the talent just wasn't able to press the way they need to.

Next point, you mentioned a number of coaches are leaving this spring, my question to you is why haven't they left already? He has been here four years and the only coach to go got a head coaching job. Your comment makes no sense but then again most of your comments make no sense.

Clearly you have an ax to grind. You don't like the way coach handles his personnel life. I think the key word there is personnel. You may not like our style but you cannot deny the success we have had. It doesn't always look pretty but it has been pretty darn successful.

One other thing coach Pearl has had opportunities to leave and he has chosen to stay and thats refreshing to me.

Good luck Pete I doubt I will respond to you anymore because at this point it would only be wasting my time.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Can anyone tell me why Kenny only played one minute? I thought he was having a decent year and deserved more time. At the risk of getting the ire of Plastic, Morrist, or Pete - I think the team is looking a lot like last yr. A little bit undisciplined. Why is JP even on the floor. I would much rather have Tatum and Skylar taking JP's minutes. Maybe it is because he is a senior?

BubbaJ writes:

in response to xvolx:

This is not the eleventh best team in the country.

OK, so can you tell me who is? I didn't think so!

VOLoom writes:

in response to MorristownVOL:

blah blah bitter snipe.

BubbaJ writes:

in response to BolivarBob:

More playing time for Skyler, the kid is a basketball player. For now JP and Woolridge
need to be riding the bench.

All_Vol writes:

in response to MorristownVOL:

You are a moron and know nothing about coaching or basketball. Thanks for trying though.

in response to wayoutwill:

Well, as I said in my first comment on this thread, I didn't see the game, but several other posters apparently did and they said the same thing I did about the team's lack of intensity. Maybe you mean something different by "intensity" than I do and maybe you mean the same thing by "mental focus". I am talking about whatever it was that allowed a smaller team to score too many put-back points on us and that apparently failed to recognize and do anything about a guy that was wearing us out from 3-pt range all night.

As for JP, I can recall only one game in his whole career where I thought he was a positive difference-maker in a game that mattered--that would be the last game we won in Memphis. He has made a good play here and there in other games, so I do believe he has some potential, but he is also good for about two or three of those plays where he just jumps up into the air with the ball and winds up throwing it just anywhere to avoid coming down with it. Sometimes one of our guys catches it and does something good with it, but that is just them bailing him out of HIS mistake. He can't shoot a lick and he spends a good deal of every on-court stint looking like he just woke up in a surly mood and hasn't had his coffee yet. I confess I just never have seen what all the fuss was about with him, but I guess we will just have to agree to disagree about JP.

golfin_blondie writes:

Thought you guys might like a good read if you have not already seen it because it is 2 days old. Good blog on rivals about recruiting.

SmokyMTNVol writes:

in response to Plasticman:

Plasticman, you don't do well in school do you?
I think if you watch any SEC games the last few years it is quite obvious that the SEC has been atrocious.
MTV really need not remind us of that.
Just look at how many teams have made the tourney the last few years from the SEC.
So relax young man and let the season play out and quit whining over something you cannot control.

mytrifecta writes:

in response to Plasticman:

unfortunately yes...Bob Kesling. He's as exciting as an Auschwitz death camp. Plus he has dozens of screw ups in every game. To bad John Ward didn't have a son in the business.

xvolx writes:

in response to BubbaJ:

OK, so can you tell me who is? I didn't think so!

Any team trailing by one that doesn't let a 6-9 center take the winning shot from 25 feet.

VOLKING writes:

Morristown, Petebell and SmokyMtn are all sitting in a hot-tub together trying to convince themselves that TN's basketball coach is terrible and all who disagree are 'worshippers'. They are all idiots and pathetic haters....as well as interlopers from UM. Someone throw a hairdryer in the hot-tub....plugged in.

Tnjim writes:

Poor play with a lot of talent! Can't understand it. No excitment from players Not well organized play.Is it to many players get time
? Pearl trying to make them all happy?

Ironcity writes:

in response to PETE_BELL:

Pete your a hopeless loser that has zero understanding of basketball.

Ironcity writes:

in response to MorristownVOL:

Who was favored in the game? I could care less what we were ranked in October of 2007. When the game was played we were an underdog. You and Pete are unbelievable. Someday one of you will post something that is based on a bit of truth.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

JP I'm sure will be coming off the bench more till he learns to make better decisions offensively. My concerns are still with Point. Better but still our offense is struggling at times and our defense disappears some times.

VOLDoll writes:

in response to MorristownVOL:

LMAO! I dont think he was trying to prove your point for you, but he sure helped your cause.
I think I'm in a boat with a lot of young kids. lol!

Ironcity writes:

in response to MorristownVOL:

Everytime you start typing on here you provide additional evidence to your ignorance. In effort to not make yourself not appear as stupid as you are, I suggest you read the articles and immediately go back to doing the dishes!

SmokyMTNVol writes:

in response to Ironcity:

In actuality he made you look pretty ingnorant.
It is true, Coach Pearl was playing with a team of veterans and players he recruited.
Travis Ford had to learn not only who his players were but also had to deal with a much tougher league.
I have a hard time with fans of the same team calling each other names. Why not debate instead of hating on one another?

Ironcity writes:

in response to SmokyMTNVol:

In actuality he made you look pretty ingnorant.

Smokey Pete nor Morristown are Vol fans. They are here because they are bitter about the success UT has had and how fast we have had it. UT did not have a veteran team last year. No one does well when they loose three starters and the top two scorers like we did. We had two of our top 7 return, we lost a freshmen point guard before the season started that proved very costly. Ok St had Senior point guard that flat out abused us. Travis did a great job at Ok St. I believe they beat both Kansas and Texas down the stretch. They were playing great at the end of the year and they were a veteran team.

The fact is we were in the tourney we lost by 1 or 2 stinkin points. It happens!