CrankE writes:

Pat gets frustrated.
Pat goes Krakatoa.
The team responds by tightening up.
And playing worse.
Thus increasing Pat's frustration.
Repeat.

Whether the chicken or egg came first, is irrelevant at this point. Right now they seem to be in a spiral where Pat's expression of frustration just exacerbates the problem.

It could be that this coach, this team and this program have simply lost their joy in the game. Regain that joy and things will get better whether they win or lose.

BigRMan writes:

in response to kazoo:

Summitt should be hosed down sometimes before she makes her postgame remarks. "Disrespected the game of basketball?" Good grief. Summitt has become the Bob Knight of women's basketball--and I don't mean that in a good way.

Wasn't there a rumor about 9 years ago after Knight left Indiana that either he was considering, or UT was considering extending an offer to him to be men's basketball coach? If so, how volatile would that have been: Knight and Summitt on the same campus in the same arena! WOW!

flatrock writes:

I am a huge Pat fan, but I believe it is best for all concerned that Kamiko and Glory take their skills to another program. They are up-and-down
players and Pat is now in a walk-it-up mode (because of the half-court skills of Cain,
Brewer, Bjorklund and Manning). Kamiko and
Glory would thrive in Rick Insell's program
at MTSU, leaving Pat 2 more spots for players
who fit her current style...

ladivolfan writes:

in response to flatrock:

Brewer, Bjorklund and Manning). Kamiko and
Glory would thrive in Rick Insell's program
at MTSU, leaving Pat 2 more spots for players
who fit her current style...

Making that call on Johnson and Williams is premature. They are only a sophomore and freshman forced to produce more sooner because of lack of upperclassmen. It's a tough spot to be placed in.

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

in response to d_ray:

Pat Summit needs to grow a heart. All she does is criticize and complain. You do that often enough and players will feel as bad as the coach tells them how bad they are. Pat has lost her winning ways. I am losing respect for her. I coach. I coach in a positive way. I have taken unskilled players to playoff contention. I do it by compliments and hard work. When an average player is told...over and over again....that they are terrific..they are the best....they improve. I have seen coaches like Pat put down great players in practice and a game. These great players become average. Pat...let up. Be more positive. Show some love. You used to be a great coach. You can be again. But, you have to change your style from being a mean, rude, person....to a positive outlook coach. You only have two losses. Every coach in the nation would love to be in your position. Instead, you put your players down. Remember...Pat...these kids are in college. They have books to read, tests to take, a long life ahead of them. Sports for most of them is just a way to pay for the expensive college costs. Remind yourself as to when you were in school. School is intensive. School is stressful. When you add more stress on them...after they win the frickin game...you hurt them. They look up to you. You are a God among coaches. Don't disappoint them. Believe in them. Don't keep putting them down.

OK, d_ray...You are entitled to your opinion just as everyone else is so I'm not hating on you but would like to "splain" a few facts.

You obviously do not know Pat. She has a heart of gold! She does not always criticize and complain. She cares for this girls as individuals first and players next. She Has not lost her winning ways. Her team is 24-2 and #1 in the SEC. She is playing a very young team with 3 All-Americans out with injuries. She does have a positive outlook and does not come even close to being a mean, rude, person..in fact, truth be known, she is totally opposite.

Since you stated that you are a coach told us all how you would do it, etc...etc.... Have you won over 1025 games? Do you have 8 NC's? Are you in every basketball hall of fame that exists? I think not, or surely your name would always be mentioned along with Pats, Dean Smith, and John Wooden, now wouldn't it?

Just last week, some people posted that Pat had gotten to soft. You can please some of the people most of the time, but you can't please all the people all of the time. I'm sure you have heard that one too.

In closing, these girls know exactly what will be expected of them when they sign to play under Pat and are told what will happen to them if those expectations are not met. She knows what it takes to get make a good player, a great player. Pat also knows what it takes to WIN! Some of these girls are just not getting it yet and she is making sure they know what is acceptable, expected effort and what is unacceptable. She wants 40 minutes of consistency. I don't think that is too much to ask or expect of this team. Could we win the NC this year?...anything is possible but I believe it will be UCONN. However, the next several years when Pat ads many more NC trophies to UT's collection...you will be eating your words!
Thank you for your time and have a nice day!
LV.......TCB......KOKO......GBO!!!!!!!!!

RoadTrip writes:

in response to CrankE:

Pat gets frustrated.
Pat goes Krakatoa.
The team responds by tightening up.
And playing worse.
Thus increasing Pat's frustration.
Repeat.

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner. Truthful post.

The very fact that she continues to berate the team and individual players in public and in the press is all the evidence you need to have to confirm your analysis. She needs to come down off her high horse and get on the level of her STUDENT ATHLETES. There are very few Candace Parker's in this world. The rest are in school to get a degree in something they want to do the rest of their lives (Kelly Cain - Honors student, people!) and maybe have fun in helping to continue the baskeball legacy at UT. UT will be around and a great place for lady Vol basketball players/students for many years beyond the career of CPS. It take both a great university and a great coach to build the legacy.

huntined#565710 writes:

Didn't get to watch the game last night due to it not being on in FLA but I am watching it now on BHSN. It is a re-run of the game. Easy to see they miss Cain but for some reason BAMA just looks faster then the VOLS. I think last year they would have lost this game but find a way to win these games this year. Pat is never going to change how she coaches and that way has some good and bad points. The good is she knows what it takes to win and the bad may be some top players will not want to play for her. JMO

dbgray writes:

First, I am not criticizing Kelly Cain at all for staying home on a road trip in order to study. Its admirable actually. Its just that I never hear of that happening in other top programs. I always thought that the tutoring system was almost as good as the actual classes the students miss. I was a professor at UCONN and worked with some of the tutors, and the women athletes did on average better by far than the non-athletes! I was just worried that Kelly was in some academic difficulty, but now I hear that she is a top student in marketing so no big deal!

BxVol writes:

There are so many things I could respond to but I`m just going to address when posters complain about certain Lady Vols and maybe they would be better off somewhere else.I have followed baskeball for over 50 years and in that time I have seen players develope from how did she or he ever get here to All-Star calibre.I saw Billy Paultz play in an off-season ABA-NBA allstar game after he came out of St. Johns and he looked absolutely out of place.Paultz had a long and productive Professional career.Another player who looked lost to me when he started playing with the Boston Celtics was the late great Reggie Lewis.He certainly turned out to be a star.Our own Sydney Spencer to me looked like a recruiting mistake early in her career,but we all know what a great career she had.Point is it takes some players longer to develope. Sure Pat or any coach is never 100% correct on recruits or other matters,but go argue against what is the greatest program in Women`s Basketball history.You are going to lose!

dwolfcreek#397971 writes:

in response to allVolinGA:

Disrespected , Vested , what the hail is all this ?

dwolfcreek#397971 writes:

in response to The1:

Why do you assume Pat is still sane?

How does one disrespect basketball? Basketball is a game and is, therefore, not respectable.

A Team plays according to the tone the coach sets. A coach should never publicly criticize her players.

A coach is a teacher and a cheerleader/motivator. Bashing these young girls all the time does not motivate them.

YES , Totally agree .

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

Hey Summitt, remember after that 2005 loss to Michigan St. in the tourney and then you took the names off the backs of the jerseys? Fans cried and you returned the names this season against Texas. Well, considering the performance lately.....TAKE THE NAMES OFF THE JERSEYS. The players will get the point it's a team effort, not about them individually.

YankeeVol writes:

in response to dbgray:

Hey prof - Are you sure you weren't helping those athletes out a little extra?

dwolfcreek#397971 writes:

in response to allVolinGA:

YOU CAN TAKE THE HORSE TO WATER , BUT YOU CAN'T MAKE IT DRINK . Maybe mules is the better term . Mr. Head said it all .

AtLeastMyTeamHasPerfectSeasons writes:

in response to CrankE:

Pat gets frustrated.
Pat goes Krakatoa.
The team responds by tightening up.
And playing worse.
Thus increasing Pat's frustration.
Repeat.

And no matter what anyone says we should trust Pat. She has one more college/pro games than any coach. I think only John Wooden (12) and North Carolina soccer (21) have more NC's than her. All our speculation means nothing.....

1Volunteer writes:

"Summitt was so angry that the players heard for associate head coach Holly Warlick..."

How did they do that? It irks me when I have to read a sentence three times to try to get the sense of it. What happened to editing?

Vols7Twins writes:

Does anyone know who or where Pat is recruting

xvolx writes:

in response to allVolinGA:

I was baseing my conclusion on the fact that if they win the reg. season SEC and the SEC tourn. and are ranked #5 now. Knowing that ND is going to lose twice to UConn will move lady vols to #4. This would make them a one seed. Should they lose, however; the remainder of season or in SEC tourn., they probably lose the one seed. We're not settleing for a 2 seed. You girls get serious.

hdhurst writes:

in response to tweetdriver63#346474:

Interesting that you say that, because if they were scoring (like Goins was last week), then I don't think that comment would hold much merit. Down years after Holdsclaw, down years after Parker...considering this team, their record is just about right. TN teams past seem to "get it" around tourney time...at least I hope this is the case with these gals.

flatrock writes:

Give the ball to Kamiko! She picked the Alabama PG
twice; she fed the ball deftly and accurately to
the UT posts; she created her own shot anytime she wanted...and Pat rewarded her by not speaking to her during timeouts and benching her at a crucial stretch in the 2nd half! Kamiko
must be the sorriest practice player in Lady Vols history, because from here she looked like
the most skilled player on the floor in Tuscaloosa. Repeat: The Lady Vols will go
no further than Kamiko and Glory will lead them!

PINK_CHAMPAGNE writes:

There is so much at stake here which is why I am so on edge! If they can win out and win the sec tournament, they will more than likely gain a number one seed. With that number one seed, according to the commentators during the game, they have a chance to play in Tennessee. Where in Tennessee I don't know, but that would be great. I don't know if they know this, but maybe it could be used as a motivational tool to get them to step up their play. I am sure any program would love to play as close to home as they can in the NCAA tournament. Come on ladies! Let's win out and win this sec tournament so you can get this number one seed. You can do it! I see the potential, I see it! Let's finish the regualar season strong and with wins! One game at a time!

Southland writes:

You know Pat can keep up her antics and after a while they will grow really old and meaningless. Maybe she should recruit some speed and not a bunch of really slow and clumsy girls. I love the lady Vols but last year and this has been painful to watch and until she brings in some speed they are not going to go very far. Remember Ball state. Small, quick and could shoot.

ps11824 writes:

Lest we overlook the 24-2, 12-1 SEC standing, we might ask ourself, "Why am I so unhappy with my team?" We gripe and complain because we read all this unfavorable reporting by Adam and Fleser. We watch them play lackluster ball, by our standards, and out of the corner of one eye, we see that OTHER team winning by 30-40 points, and we moan our dissatisfaction that we too want more than a 24-2 team. SHUTUP 98reax!

Be supportive and believe we will eventually have a healthy, whole team that follows Pat's instructions, never giving John and Dan anything negative to write about.

It is the reporters and sportswriters we should be upset with. Do you ever listen to the Sports Animal Talk Show? Those guys choke EVERY time they get a caller who wants to talk about the Lady Vols. Do you know why? Because they know SQUAT about the Lady Vols. They act as if they would rather talk about the local Dominoes Club. The guys on that show are so disinterested they blatantly say "I don't know, does anybody know?" Then they move on to another subject like, figure skating or mudwrestling at the local bar.

They should be ashamed to ignore a program at UT which has been the best in the nation for 36 years. A team which has the largest attendance for home games and the largest following on road games. A team with 8 National Championship banners hanging in TBA. A coach with the most wins than any college basketball coach in the nation. THEY SHOULD DO THEIR HOMEWORK and ACT interested and informed, and give the Lady Vols equal talk time instead of simply saying "I don't know," and implying they don't care.

I care. We should all start calling in.

SoddyVol writes:

What a great program we have! The expectations are so very high we not only want to be on top in the conference and # 5 (soon # 4) in the nation, we want plenty of spread in the score. Pat has us spoiled and I like it that way. The best program in the country overall with no underhanded recruiting, just honesty and integrity. Thanks, Pat!

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

in response to PINK_CHAMPAGNE:

They would start their play in Knoxville and end up at Regionals in Memphis. Pat is aware of that. You are right, one game at a time!!!!

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

in response to ps11824:

I care. We should all start calling in.

Great post 98reax!! Looks like there are some of us, including Summitt1000 and a few others that understand the big picture! Your posts are spot on and refreshing to read!

UTVOLSRROCKN writes:

in response to Vols7Twins:

Does anyone know who or where Pat is recruting

All I can say is that Pat is constantly recruiting! Even during this season, she is personally fitting in time to fly many places to scout players herself during high school BB season. The woman never stops! The future will continue to be bright for the Lady Vols!

gladiator06 writes:

in response to flatrock:

Give the ball to Kamiko! She picked the Alabama PG
twice; she fed the ball deftly and accurately to
no further than Kamiko and Glory will lead them!

I couldn't agree with you more and I'm not buying Pat's rant about Kamiko not bringing her all to practice. She probably gives her all she has and with more conditioning, she'll get better. I think Pat believes Kamiko is just supposed to be more genetically predisposed to run faster, jump higher, last longer and that's just not the case.

gladiator06 writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

I decided not to waste my time reading all of the negative or critical comments by all of you Head coaches or division 1 basketball players on here because obviously you know more than the rest of us.

All I have to say is in Pat I trust and this is a final four team and they will get there. All of you critics give up your right to celebrate because of your lack of faith when they get there. I realize the team is not beating every opponent by 30 and they have not played well in a lot of games, but this is not the playoffs and this is when you get those things worked out. the fact that the lady vols are 24-2 & 12-1 in the SEC isn't good enough for you please take your watered down fanship somewhere else. My opinion, support the team and Let Pat coach 'em up her way. She knows what she is doing.

Relax, they won last night!

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but this is in no way a final four team. I very cautiously put them in the sweet 16 and I'm being generous.

ps11824 writes:

How many of you guys (reg. posters) watch The Pat Summitt Show? I'm thinking it will give some of you who are quick to agree with the "shame on Pat for harping on her players" ideology, a better perspective of how Pat mentors and APPRECIATES the uniqueness of each one.

Pat Summitt is so quick to applaud the accomplishments and credit the improvements of each one of her players. She always recognizes the special talents and contributions one has made in each game. At the same time she will admit her failure to recognize something she may have missed as far as what that player may need extra help with.

Pat is human just as you and I are. She has been at this coaching thing many, many years, and one might think she should know all there is to know about motivating an athlete. How long have you been doing what you do for a living or just for fun? Do you profess to know all there is to know about it? Don't kid yourself. People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care.

Caring is what Pat Summitt does. She's not going to pat a player on the back for giving less than 100%. She's going to show them how they might improve and if they don't take it to heart, she will use the motivational techniques which have made her the college basketball coach all other coaches aspire to be.

RLL59 writes:

The Lady Vols have coaches that are recognized as among the best in their profession. The players are nearly all All Americans and were considered the best or second best recruiting class for the 2008-2009 season. The program is arguably one or two in the nation. Expectations are always high.

For all those that want fans to ignore unspired play and coaching decisions that don't work out, and preach that everyone should simply be happy with a 24-2 record.........ask yourself why Coach Summitt isn't heeding that same advice. She seems far more upset with the team than the critics on this stream.

gladiator06 writes:

If Kamiko and Glory were to enroll in Rick Insell's program, the Lady Vols would get a check in the loss column each time they played them. Glory went through the same slump last year when Pat started tinkering with the line-up. As I remember, Glory is only the second Lady Vol to began her career with double digit scoring in her first 10 games. Who holds the top spot??? (Chamique Holdsclaw). Glory would have probably taken over the top spot, but I imagine the line up changes didn't help her confidence. Glory may be the most physically gifted player on the team, but mentally, she may be a little fragile and i don't think Pat has done anything to help that. The best athletes in all sports have off games. Pat's answer to an off game is to bench a player. Glory is supposed to out run everybody, jump higher than everybody, battle for position, rebound, sprint back down the floor, and then set-up for the entry pass that never gets to her, rebound again and sprint back down the floor. Let's see you try that for 40 minutes. She led this team with 16pts and 9 rebounds per game through January last season and Pat pulls her from the starting line-up for one off game. I think it's Pat and her coaching staff who needs to enroll in Rick Insell's "Sports Psychology for Coaches" program. With regard to Kamiko, I feel the same way as the commentator during the Alabama game. Kamiko may not bring everything Pat wants, but I like her game. She has the potential to be one of the best guards to ever wear a lady vols uniform, but like Glory, Pat has dealt a blow to her confidence. By now, Pat should know that benching these players doesn't make them better. Where is the motivation, where is the confidence building. When will they be allowed a game where they can go out and play freely? We hear most of the coaches at the top programs now, mentioning how freely their teams are playing. When I watch the Lady Vols play, all i see is Pat in someone's grill, criticizing their play. How many times is someone other than Angie and Shekinna allowed to make a mistake without being yanked from the game. I'm not seeing this style of coaching in many men's or women's games. This is borderline insanity. Furthermore, we can't blame the players for this young team. That honor goes to Pat and her staff –recruiting? Right now Glory is averaging 11pts and 8 rbds per game. Take that away and this team has more losses. In any other program, I'm sure the both of them would be all-american candidates. As far as those two spots that would be opened up for two other players...hmmm! You have to know that other recruits are watching and saying to themselves...Not! I honestly believe Pat is losing her recruiting edge to UConn and other programs. That old style of hammering, screaming, and downing the players is no longer in style. There is so much parity in the game now, that Tennessee may not be as attractive as it once was.

RLL59 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

You didn't think I was criticizing, did you? I do sympathize with Pat. Every team and every player has a distinct personality. It is perhaps harder than ever for a coach to relate to players who perhaps overvalue their own feelings and find it hard to take on a group identity. If it were THAT easy, there would be more one 8-time national champ in women's basketball. If it were that easy for Pat, she would have 15-20 national titles. But it's really, really hard to win even ONE national championship! On the evidence so far, this will likely not be one of them, but who knows? It's not over yet. It may not be that much fun for the players, for Pat, or for us right now, but not everything worth doing in life is necessarily fun while you're doing it!

Just wanted to comment on your reference to 'fun' above (" but not everything worth doing in life is necessarily fun while you're doing it!"). You are correct, but college basketball for All American players who have undoubtedly dedicated most of their free time to the game, should not be one of those valuable but 'unfun' pasttimes. When an individual on a 24-2 team isn't enjoying the experience, it may be the player's fault. When apparently NONE of the players on a 24-2 team are having fun playing the game, it's the coaching staff's fault.

Since your previous comments indicate experience both playing and coaching, you must believe that basketball should be a enjoyable, as well as valuable, experience for a young adult.

PINK_CHAMPAGNE writes:

Notre Dame just went down again to Georgetown! Okay lady vols! It is yours for the taking! Let's go! Finish the season strong!

ps11824 writes:

RLL, you may be making an assumption that the team as a whole is not having fun. They appear to me to be very happy, especially when they play well. These kids come to Tennessee to win championships and to play for Pat Summitt. I don't believe their goal is to have fun but to be the best person/player they can be AND win championships. I'll bet if you ask any player if they like the way Pat coaches/pushes them to be better, they would give you a 'duh' stare. The ones who don't come to Tennessee simply want to beat Tennessee. The SEC teams are some of the best in the country. They bring their best to the court when they meet the Lady Vols.

Pat is looking for the best rotation to win championships; it may be tough for the players to stay consistent and focused for that reason, but what better time to try different looks.

RLL59 writes:

in response to ps11824:

I admit that I really don't know how the players feel about their coaches or their overall experience. I would expect that they have the utmost respect and admiration for Coach Summitt and the program. Someone else posted that she is a wonderful, caring person off the court, and I don't doubt that either. But it seems to me, and to others posting here, that the players, after a 24-2 record, appear afraid to make a mistake, are unsure of their roles on the court (still switching positions and lineups constantly near the end of the season), and react in a knee jerk manner to the latest time out, half time or end of game admonition by the coach. That can't make for a harmonious team going into the tournaments, and as one writer said, if you win most of your games against weaker opponents by small margins and needing comebacks to do it, you're ripe for an upset in the tournaments.

I certainly don't believe that any coach wants to be experimenting with lineups at the end of the season. Nor does any coach start off with the intent to spend the first half of each timeout chastising the latest player of the moment. But it's happening with the Lady Vols.

ps11824 writes:

You know what, PINK? I believe the Lady Vols are in a good position to find themselves as a cohesive unit. Pat has tried so many different rotations. She has seen in real game time what can work in case of injury or foul trouble We may think we know the whys and wherefores of Pat's coaching schemes, but we can only conjecture what her reasons are.

A previous poster stated they had never seen other coaches yank players from the game the way Pat does. It's a very common thing to see players lose their starting position for various reasons. Hello! Since when has it become draconian behavior for a coach to bench a player? I believe Pat is doing whatever it takes to motivate every member of the team.

Glory will find her gear. In the meanwhile she's getting her education from being a spectator along side Ms Williams. If those two want more PT they will give 100% effort. Pat will not reward them for less. God bless her for not relenting to their whims.

PINK_CHAMPAGNE writes:

I had wanted Williams to start because I think she has the talent to start. But the pressure of starting obviously got to her. She wasn't ready for that mentally. I still think she is capable of starting but she has to think it. She plays better coming off the bench as of now. I hope Glory turns the beat around! If she would just calm down and quit worrying about trying to score or getting touches. There are so many other ways she helps this team. But as of now she is not playing her best and Brewer is, so I would stick with Brewer. Manning is playing her best, starting, so I would continue to start Manning and bring Williams off the bench. I am for whatever helps the team. And right now Brewer and Manning is helping the team in the starting lineup. I am sure Williams and Glory will turn it around before tournament time. In the Alabama game, I thought Pat was using the second string a lot to see what she is working with and what she can depend on. I thought it was good game experience for some of the second string players. They will be needed tournament time.

in response to gladiator06:

Players who have never had to work really hard don't KNOW what their limits are. They think they are working hard when they get tired; they don't realize that the best players work until they are EXHAUSTED. High school coaches rarely push their players that hard, and their superstars more rarely still. You only grow your potential by pushing beyond what you thought were your limits, and coaches can rarely trust young players to know what their true potential is.

in response to RLL59:

I DO believe that playing and coaching should be fun. However, playing and coaching at the highest level has to be more than just another fun thing for people to do. If the players just want to play for fun, they can play intramurals and pay their own way through school. Also, the definition of fun in this context has to include satisfaction in doing the best one possibly can. In other words, fun shouldn't be the OBJECT of playing, it should be a RESULT of doing one's best. Much of this is just a matter of emphasis and semantics anyway.

in response to PINK_CHAMPAGNE:

Good post! I don't always agree with everything you say, but you clearly think about these things which makes me think I ought to always do the same.