PINK_CHAMPAGNE writes:

Good job holding on for the win! I am so proud of the lady vols! They deserve this! Kamiko gave us that needed spark at a time we really needed it and so did Glory. It is good when you can rely on all your players to step up when needed. Not a good night for all players but a good win for the team. When I saw Dee Kantner, I almost fainted. I did not want her officiating tonight and she was true to form with her horrible self. I for one will not give the officials any credit. I feel the lady vols got the short end of the stick and I am just so happy they did not let the officiating get to them and they played through it and won the championship. Good Job team, Pat and Staff. Lets roll through the tournament!

PINK_CHAMPAGNE writes:

in response to cc623:

First off:
Congratulations Lady Vols on the return to the post season winning ways that we are all accustomed to.

Second:
The only UGLY thing about that game was the pitiful officiating that the SEC represents itself with.The officials "swallowed" the whistle anytime the Lady Vols had the ball and UK's women were climbing all over them.When UK's women had the ball and the Lady Vols breathed too heavily on them it was blown but,most of the time it was blown in anticipation as usual...

Amen!

ps11824 writes:

Pat Summitt is a genius and a champion, and she's pleased tonight.

tonyvick#213307 writes:

Great game! Kentucky really played hard and I could tell they really wanted it. But I looked into the eyes of Manning and Strick and they just wasn't going to let this team lose. Kamiko you can be as good as you want to be. Ask Pat. Cain, Glory and Brewer it's obvious that group of officials seem to have it personal against you all. This group made some bad calls then tried some make up calls against UK. Just keep playing hard. I got a feeling you all are going to do something even more special this year. Angie just shoot, don't dribble, pass...just shoot. SEC Champions!

volfan73120#211815 writes:

dwa7 is a Kentucky fan who just wants to say something to get a rise out of someone. He can't stand Ky losing three times to Tenn in nine days.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to OldVols68:

Think about it again -- NO seniors and we get (hopefully) Vickie Baugh, Faith Dupree(?) and Amber Gray in next year. Guess who is going to be favored to win the SEC Women's BB championship next year?(again). All I can say is "Wow!!! -- what a turnaround from last year."

Mmynatt,

Also, don't forget the girl coming in next year, a true point guard ( Avant ) plus a few others whose names escape me. Remember, Tennessee won a NC with just 9 players just a couple years ago. We also had one team with about 15 which included some walkons. So........next year, talk about wearing people down? Pat can send in wave after wave of talent on the floor.

Back to the officials, a lot has been mentioned about our friend, Dee K. Also, have you noticed how many games we've had that gorilla-like guy calling the games? This comes with the territory......when you are a perennial winner you tend to have the bulls eye on your back and often officiating looks in favor of the underdog.
Also, I still contend officials get caught up in the emotion of the game, they know where it's played, the score etc. Sometimes that sways some calls, but we've gotten some breaks too on occasion.

Still conclude the only team that might beat Tennessee is Tennessee itself. Stay tuned !

SoddyVol writes:

I don't care what kind of voice Pat has. I would love to win out and hear her sing Rocky Top in The Alamodome this year!

xvolx writes:

I thought the lady refs. called a pretty good game except for the mugging put on Bjorkland at the end. That could have been called a late hit out of bounds. The man ref. is the thorn in our side. He never calls a fair game for UT. Whoever scores these refs. for tournament play should be investigated also. Well enough of that. Brewer and Cain entered the game running on empty, but they are big girls. What do you expect. Great win ladies. You worked for and earned everything that you have accomplished. Noone can take that away from you.

volsr4me writes:

LADY VOLS ARE MY..........HERO'S !!!
Great Job LADIES.

richvol writes:

Kentucky played a great game but the officials let them maul us on the perimeter when double teaming our guards and they clubbed us under the basket. Same as the Vandy game. The officiating is pathetically biased and it seems to be getting worse.

I give kentucky credit for their talent and effort...they are well coached too. A lesser team or an earlier version of this year's LadyVols would have lost that game but they toughed it out.

Kamiko singlehandedly kept us in the game during that stretch where she scored six straight points. Kentucky was threatening to take control and Kamiko just took it right back each time.

Manning...I am so glad Pat "discovered" her at this point in the season because she is really a great,great player. What basketball IQ she has...and a fighter too.

Congratulations,LadyVols...we are all so proud of you.

PINK_CHAMPAGNE writes:

Kamiko was pretty good tonight! I hope she continues this good play. Manning is a hustler and she never takes a play off. I love the way Manning puts that ball into the post. Manning and kamiko are pretty good at that. They have the right timing with it and that is important to get it to the post when they are ready. I would like to see more of that from the whole team. And to the officiating! The lady vols got mugged! I also think the lady vols get the short end of the stick in big games. I don't appreciate it and it angers me. I can accept a loss if it is on the team, but I dont like when the refs decide the game. Proud of the lady vols. I can't say it enough! I am sure when they review this game they will address the handling of the press from any team. They will see a lot of that because teams think they can't handle it. The mistake they made with it tonight was trying to dribble out of it when they should have been passing. If two were back there on the point, somebody was open. So lady vols think to yourselves when this situation arrives and find the open man. Main thing, don't panic! My big girls was a little tired tonight but Glory came through when we needed her. I am just so proud of them!

10volunteers98 writes:

Congratulations,Lady Vols!You won a tough game against a very good Wild Cat team.Best of luck in the Final Four.Coach Summit deserves a big fat raise! GO,VOLS!!!

vols345 writes:

in response to dwa7#337691:

what an ugly game............they better practice more!!!!!!

Shut up and be happy they just won the Sec championship. It is not always pretty. It is tough games that give a team Character. So chill man.

tonyvick#213307 writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Mmynatt,

"gorilla like"...too funny

usnavyvolfaninva_still_getting_paid writes:

in response to dwa7#337691:

what an ugly game............they better practice more!!!!!!

That you, Dave?

tedb#664810 writes:

in response to fpcoach:

They won a game against a very well coached Ky team. The refs let them play and most of the close calls went the other way and the ladies still found a way to win. Championships are never ugly. GBO

Congratulations to the Lady Vols. They adjusted well to a very aggressive defense. If I'm not mistaken, Ky used the old Ray Mears Tennessee Trap against us. UT in those days was known for boxing in the ball handler on the side line. Kamiko was the answer to their defensive plans.

rockytopron writes:

Funny thing. UK received Coach of the year, Player of the year and freshman of the year awards...UT won Regular Season and Tournament Championships by beating UK twice... SEC wanna rethink your selections... Go Lady Vols.

rockytopron writes:

I said in many posts early in the season that this is a final four team even without 3 post players redshirting and no true point guard. Next year we will have 2 guards coming in and the three post players will be back.

This years team with no seniors is 30-2 and won the SEC daring double championships and will get a #1 seed in the big dance.

Way to go Pat Summitt. This is the same team that went 22-11 last year and was bounced from the tournament by ball st. - the same team!

ssgdebity writes:

in response to Rick4UT:

I would rather win ugly than lose playing great!!
Go VOLS!!!!!!!!

Doesn't matter if it was a ugly game. A win is a win, no matter if it is by 1 point 10 points or ever 20 points. This team played their tails off. Congrat to my LV. Already got my shirts. O by the way even if this was a ugly game they are the 2010 Sec Regular Season and Tournament champs. Go Lady Vols and bring the heat come NCAA time.

jdcdjc writes:

I would have loved to see them (LV) jump out to a 20 point lead and coast home, but we have to remember this was for the tourney championship and Ky wanted it just as bad as our girls did. Anytime you win a tourny championship it's a great win. Thanks Lady Vols. Now we go where all the tourney champions are, the NCAA. Keep focused.

jdcdjc writes:

in response to dwa7#337691:

what an ugly game............they better practice more!!!!!!

What year did you graduate UConn? Or did you even graduate?

rocky_topper writes:

in response to dwa7#337691:

what an ugly game............they better practice more!!!!!!

and what an ugly huskey troll you are!

RLL59 writes:

Congratulations to all the Lady Vols' coaches and players. Who would have thought, in the middle of this season, that Manning would make the all tournament team, and Brewer would be named MVP? The talent and depth is there, and it's showing. Best wishes going into the NCAA tournament.

cdtnladyvols931#663910 writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Typical Dee Cantner & crew screw job officiating. They are the worst!

You are so right, I am glad somebody else sees that too. I don't see why they don't get rid of that officiating crew!!! I watched the Big Ten Championship and the officials in that game let that little mite point guard(Prahallis) yell at them when she got a foul called on her, if that had been a TN player reacted like she did they would have gotten a technical. Its awful this year the way the officials let some of these players do!!! CONGRATS LADY VOLS ON ANOTHER SEC CHAMPIONSHIP YOU DESERVE IT! YOU PLAYED LIKE CHAMPIONS!

mad_poly_uct writes:

Congrats on winning regular season & SEC tourney folks!! Wish you best of luck in the NCAA's....within reason of course! ;) ;)

cdtnladyvols931#663910 writes:

in response to mdvol:

Did we sweep the regular season? I recall getting upset at Georgia.

Memo to the NCAA's. We can skip the first few weeks and just get to Pat versus Geno. It's going to be interesting.

YES! WE WON THE REGULAR SEASON CHAMPIONSHIP AND THE TOURNAMENT CHAMPS!!!!

tnsportsman writes:

Coach Summitt can sing Rocky Top anywhere and anyway she wants too, LOL!

GO LADY VOLS!

cdtnladyvols931#663910 writes:

in response to cc623:

First off:

Second:

I am glad someone else seen that too, they did everything but put a saddle on them. All the LV's had to do was whiz by UK!

ps11824 writes:

[[orangecountyvols: Still conclude the only team that might beat Tennessee is Tennessee itself.]]

That's right, ocovo, that's exactly right. We can beat ourselves with the help of the officiating team. Opponents be ware!

I'm so proud of these ladies. Lyssie was a beast all tourney long and I am so happy for her and proud of her.

I got to hand it to Pat Summitt, her disciples showed up large this weekend. Matt Mitchell, Kyra Elzy, Shalon Pillow in Duluth. Also Kelly Harper brought her young NC State team to the semifinals in the ACC. Coach is smiling for that too.

But The Lady Vols, WOW! THINK ABOUT IT! The Daring Double Conference Championship! I don't care WHO you are, that is a tremendous accomplishment.

I just hope the doofus doubters who have been giving Pat the 'bad mouth' regarding her discipline, her recruiting and every other thing she coaches are eating their words today.

If ANYONE can move our bigs off the block when our bigs are on their game, not having to molly coddle the officials, I haven't seen them.

Come on, we just defeated the POY, the FOY and the COY of the conference twice to take the trophies, while knocking off Ole Miss and Vandy three times each along the journey. All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!

shopsports#273141 writes:

BEating KY...Winning the SEC regular season....winning the SEC tournament. Not things we can depend on the men for. WAY TO GO GIRLS!!!!
Congrats on all your hard work. We love you.

samvol writes:

Congrats LadyVols!!!! now can the Vols men bring it home?? please!!

Jephry writes:

Way to go Lady Vols! I was impressed, for the most part, with the emotion and composure...especially down the stretch when oru girls were getting mugged on inbounds plays. This week...once the awesomeness of your championships sink in...PLEASE practice contested layups. I beg you. =)

Great game and great season, so far, ladies!!!!

ps11824 writes:

It's a bad sign of things to come when they blow 2 fouls on KCain in the first minute of the game after the cats had ridden BJ and KC each possession. In their defense (ref's) KC needs to stop using those elbows to push her defender off. Chamiqua Holdsclaw had a great defensive move by NOT bending her arm, still using it for prying off her defender. It worked for Michael Jordan, it worked most times for Mique. Also, Lyssie and GJ are using the bent elbow to defend, and they are getting the fouls charged against them too often, even while they are being mauled. Ky was mauling Lyssie on her turnaround quite frequently, but she was not getting the 'and-1' at all.

The best play I've seen on the replay was the cross-court baseball pass inbounded from Manning to GJ resulting in a layup and-1. NICE! Reminded me of Catchings to Holdsclaw.

VolunteerLifer writes:

Kamiko Williams was sensational last night. If she is getting ready to break out it would really increase our chances of a final four. She gives this team something they lack - quickness and creativity off the dribble. Manning was terrific also.

The officials were just incompetent. They seem to think that a smaller player cannot foul a larger player. A smaller player could reach in, grab, hack, punch, jab, and bump at will against a larger player, but if any contact at all was initiated by a big player, it was an automatic foul. I don't think they were biased against either team, they were just bad officials. Hopefully, we won't have to see any SEC officials in the ncaa.

RLL59 writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

Unfortunately, women's basketball referees from the other conferences (that I've watched anyway) aren't any better. Most of the rules are the same for the men's and women's game, but you wouldn't know it watching the games. The best that can be hoped for is that they don't favor your opponent when making the bad calls.

ps11824 writes:

The announcers stated in LVs first game how Pat needed another guard to be legit. Kamiko stepped up in that capacity large for her team last night. I believe Dean Lockwood said something to the effect that "without Williams' timely performance, we don't win that game." Perhaps that will give her the motivation to step up her practice and get herself in the right mind-set to be a consistent guard off the bench for us. We were in peril when Kamilo came in and gave us a huge shot in the arm to get the team back on track.

Shekinna Stricklen showed some kahunas I haven't seen out of her before in the way of team leadership. She got in GJ's face at one point, which tells me SS has the ability to be a motivational machine on that court. She pulled off a Nicki Anosike act in a clutch time. I was so pleased with the desire I saw in Strick.

LadyVolsEighTimes writes:

in response to GeneralNeyland96:

I agree. Lots of UT Bodies on the floor and no calls!

However in the end KY was called for 19 fouls, and UT 16. Kentucky's Smith Fouled out, and two of her fouls were definetly "Ticky Tack".

Glory had a foull called with a KY player that tripped over Gloryt's feet. It is my understanding that this is the "Approved Call", this year, which makes no sense.

Another crazy foul is the bigs getting called for anything close to an elbow swinging. When a 5'7" player goes against a 6'6" player, the elbows on the big are gonna get against a shorter players head!! What the new ruling has accomplished is a little player can go in and try to tie up the ball on a big, and either accomplish her goal, or draw a foul.

I'm not for the players getting hurt, but if you wanna go into the paint and bounce around/scrap for rebounds, you have to take your licks.

rdberry#654521 writes:

in response to 92Vol:

Don't sell Red Auerbach short! Pat Summitt is among the elite, no doubt!

orangecountyvols writes:

98reax,

Very good assessment of the game. Some will come back and say we Vol fans are complaining about the officiating.........but good grief.
Normally, when you win a game, and the calls are bordering on ridiculous, you let it go. But, some of these calls can't be ignored.

Brewer, Cain, and Johnson were so aware of not being able to try to block a shot because they knew a foul would be called, and yet even when those 3 were observed standing there with their arms straight up........it didn't surprise me at all to hear the whistle blow in those situations, several times.

Who knows, maybe since Tennessee had greater size, the U K girls felt they had to step up their physical play to hang with them. As I mentioned in another post, the gorilla-lookalike
( Bryan Enterline ) and Dee Kantner must be assigned to every game possible the Vols play.

Oh, by the way, speaking of trolls, check out the other article by John Adams re Tyler Summitt and Kamiko Williams. Normally, I wouldn't address a troll/stalker etc as I did, but this U Conn guy needed to hear it from the Vols. They must be getting concerned.......
the more Tennessee wins.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

With two minutes left in the game, Johnson got the ball near the goal on the baseline, where she was confronted by three defenders. she began dribbling and moving out higher to try to get around them. All three of them fouled her in succession as she dribbled and moved out higher, and after the third one fouled her, she was called for an offensive foul and it turned the ball over. Just pathetic.

UKblue02 writes:

Congrats Lady Vols on your victory, just glad to see our ladies make it to the final, i think we are improving, but i was thinking as i watched this game if the mens teams UK and UT played with the tenacity these ladies did tonight both teams would be in the final four LOL

LadyVolsEighTimes writes:

in response to ps11824:

98,

I think that this will be SS's team for the next two upcoming years, to lead. With A-Train being a close second.

Angie has done a decent job as the team leader, but Angie is such a fine finesse player, she just can't be the Scrappy Dog Leader the Lady Vols have to have.

SS and AM both remind me of Nicky Anosikie when it comes to passion!!

And Taber may also develope into that role.

rdberry#654521 writes:

Congrats to the whole team, and of course CPS. Kamiko was huge off the bench. Manning got some clutch boards. Stricklen was money when it mattered. Had CPS not put in the ball handlers in the last 30 seconds, that one COULD have slipped away. KY team played hard, but the LV's were NOT to be denied! Enjoy the next day or 2 off before re-dedication to the NCAA's. UT nation is proud of your efforts!

allvol9 writes:

Regular season and tournament champions.....Just awesome. Way to represent Lady Vols!

volboy81 writes:

in response to dwa7#337691:

what an ugly game............they better practice more!!!!!!

you obviously didnt watch the game....I dont think Ive ever seen a defense covering players like Kentucky did last night. To have won that game the way their opponent played shows how good, determined and well-coached the Lady Vols are.
GREAT GAME!! GREAT WIN!! GO LADY VOLS!!!

ps11824 writes:

LV8times, Manning is a phenomenal rebounder for her frame. She is simply determined to go up and get it. A lot like Catchings who could get up and take the ball out of the air at will is Alicia Manning. I'm looking forward to watching her develop. She seems tough as nails and fearless.

I like Spani's demeanor as a player. She wears that flat affect all game every game. The kid is a perfect sized athlete to be quick and strong anywhere on the court. If she can get 100% healthy, look out for #13. What I'm looking forward to most of all is a 100% KC with a purpose, like a Dana Johnson-Nicki Anosike-Bridgette Gordon all rolled into one.

Dream on, 98!

volboy81 writes:

in response to orangeluvr:

I was thinking the same thing!!! 10-11,000 in Chattanooga...5500 in Atlanta...but they say the Chatt. arena is too small??? Come on!! The tourney flourished in Chatt in the 90s. Best attendance of anywhere its ever been....I say lets go back to Choo Choo City!!

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to ps11824:

Dream on, 98!

98,

I like your thinking and believe you do a great job of following the players whom have won over a lot of Vol fans with their performances as the season has progressed.

They may not win it all, but something tells me they will give a good account of themselves.

What do you think will be the intangibles to succeed for them? Controlling the boards should be something we can count on, but cutting down on turnovers/empty possessions will be critical too. If Angie and Strick can hit some bombs that won't hurt either.

Next 2 games, we should see much more of Bass, Kamiko, and Smallbone which will be good for depth down the tourney road.

ps11824 writes:

ocovo,

Kelley Cain HAS to keep herself in the game. Same for GJ and Lyssie. They should know by now that the officials are watching them closely for that elbow clear-out. They are going to have to practice that move without bending the elbow, to be able to score under the basket and rebound successfully. Also, they need to develop the Taber Spani attitude. No facial expression at all. When they show their displeasure at a call, it draws too much attention from the 'striped crew' for the remainder of the game. GJ, Cain & Lyssie put targets on their uniforms. They need to stop that stuff right now.

Secondly, the guards will absolutely HAVE TO score. Kamiko can be a huge factor just as she was last night. She has shown flashes of good things to come. Pat will need to be able to count on that 'want-to, can-do' effort every time she gets on the court to practice or play.

Lady Vols cannot allow UConn to get 2nd chance points. Missed shots will create havoc for the LVs. The Huskies score most of their points in transition. We will need to be able to press full and 3/4 court. Genos players do not turn the ball over because no one presses them. MM does not like to be roughed up. We need GJ to get all up in her face tenaciously. She can be distracted, but GJ must defend without fouling, because they seldom miss free throws.

I think we can count on Manning to 'man' those boards. If the others will develop that attitude and get those magnetic hands with the loose balls, boards and passes, we have a great shot at dancing all the way to Texas and back.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Way to go Lady Vols!!! If you would have told me after the Ball State game that we would be 30-2 the next year at this point in the season, I would have said that you're crazy. I knew that Pat would have them turned around, but I honestly did see this coming.

I wanna shout-out all the wildcat fans that commented on here and they know who they are. Your Lady Cats played a tough game and really took it to our Lady Vols. You should be proud of them for their effort.

Let's go kick some butt in the NCAA tourney and maybe, just maybe we get our shot at UCONN. I relish at the thought. Speaking of UCONN, I wanna thank that one UCONN fan that commented on here(her/his screen name has escaped me)for being so classy. I have seen that person on here before and responded to her/his post.

Enjoy the tournament basketball fans and good luck to everyone!!!

sbt