sly_stone99#434111 writes:

in response to budd#207344:

The team played hard and defense was good. If they continue to respond to coaching they will be ok. A couple of the freshman showed real skill and I think we may see the real deal out of a couple of the returning players. Biggest disappointment was the size of the crowd and the fact that the only time they got off their fat A** was to try and get a free t-shirt. Hopefully some of the VFL I keep hearing about will show up and support the new coach and his players.

Your wine & caviar crowd sits on their hands. I've watched them on TV and the atmosphere in the arena is like a cavern at times. It will never be like Cameron Indoor, but you would at least think it would make opposing teams feel intimidated. The marketing group for UT sports should be fired.

STLVOLS writes:

in response to stumpyb:

I Am A Tenn Fan No Matter WHAT. But Wheter The Football, Basketball Team's Win Or Lose Is Not Going To Help Me One Bit In Life. It's Just A Game. It's Entertainment So Those Of You Who take This So Seriously....GET A LIFE.

AMEN. You GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most apparently do not

UKblue02 writes:

in response to volfandave:

abdul,you must not keep up with what is going on in vol country if you did you would know that coach martin was part of the usa team that had a couple of kentucky's stud players on that team.i would also like to add that they had ALOT of good things to say about martin......

Our players had nothing but praise for coach CM class guy all the way.

in response to stumpyb:

Good comment. All of us could do with a little perspective, and watch sports for the competition while not getting TOO hung up on the results. Losing sleep or being in a bad mood all day after a frustrating loss is for the coaches and players involved, if anybody. Any fan whose general demeanor and outlook on life depends on the results of games he/she IS NOT EVEN PLAYING IN has serious problems with priorities in their lives.

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

So I guess all of the top recruits for next year are taken too. . .and the last part of my comment which applies to both sets of recruits, is that no other coach who took a team to the NCAA tournament last year offered any of them a scholarship, so either Martin has the greatest eye for undiscovered talent in the history of college basketball, or we're not going to be going to the NCAA Tournament any time soon.

Wes - Coach Martin is currently recruiting some high level recruits for 2012 - Jarnell Stokes, Shaq Goodwin, Nino Jackson, Charles Mitchell just to name a few. For 2013 he is recruiting Chris Thomas, Nick King, Allerik Freeman, Jonathan Williams all 5 star recruits. If Coach Martin can't get these kids and the ones he is getting can't compete on this level it will show on the floor and in the win/loss column. He's been around long enough to know that. For now we have to give him that opportunity to coach and recruit for this team.

in response to UKblue02:

Our players had nothing but praise for coach CM class guy all the way.

I think nearly all of our fans would characterize Martin in those terms. Where we differ is in our (premature) opinions on whether or not he can coach and recruit to the degree necessary to compete at the highest level in the SEC. I don't think that is proven either way, but I just don't get the so-called fans who have already made up their minds that he CAN'T and NEVER WILL do those things.

in response to sly_stone99#434111:

Not WKR; he already KNOWS that Martin won't get ANY of these guys. He wants to go back in time and get the Pearl who didn't lie to the NCAA; such a person exists in WKR's alternate reality. Since he can see the future so clearly, it makes sense to him that he can also change the past.

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

The worst stat is no inside scoring vs a team with no starter over 6'5. I know they played a 2-3 zone but UT should have been able to pound the glass vs this small team with very limited talent. With no resemblance of a pure shooter UT will see alot of zone this year, The difference will be the inside players will be much bigger. I was very surprised that UT didnt crush the small inside players. Very bad start vs a tiny team.

D60 writes:

in response to STLVOLS:

Then get a life and don't watch.

D/A I've got a life and I'm not dumb enough to watch this team.GO LADY VOLS

RockyTop1_old writes:

in response to BodeaneVol:

WHO CARES????

TennesseeFab5 writes:

in response to beartn#223846:

It's kinda of strange with the "2 Star Martin" slam. We had potential probation and scholarship losses when this year's class was signed. Martin inherited a mess, but chose to come anyway. I think he can be successful here, but it will take a couple of years.

"Martin inherited a mess, but chose to come anyway. I think he can be successful here"

I wonder why with the great "fans" we have on this site.

TennesseeFab5 writes:

in response to mikkim:

I can picture you now...sitting back in your 13 year old suede recliner from Aarons rents drinkin a PBR talkin about how them boys gonna suck this year!!! I am sure you are one talented athlete who can definately speak on the abiltiies of these young me on their first game under a new coach. Here is my salute to you....YOU SUCK and DONT WATCH..You should not waste your time since they are only going to win 15. You should be watching your family on Jerry Springer or THE BIGGEST LOSER. This post is for the 15 guys that are sweating their butts off to try to represent the UT VOLS!

"This post is for the 15 guys that are sweating their butts off to try to represent the UT VOLS!"

++1 Great Statement

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Attended the game and here are my observations about team even though we won't know what their capabilities are until the season gets started:

Cam Tatum disappears and does not want to be the leader of the team, which he should want to be because he is a 5th year SR..Hopefully he will decide that he wants to play with the rest of the team and contribute..No reason why he shouldn't.

Kenny Hall needs to join in that leadership role because he stated a while back this is his team..Plus,He is capable of contributing alot more than he did last night which I think he will once the real season gets underway.

Trae Golden is the type of point guard that we have needed at UT for a long time..One that actually wants to run the team properly and who is very athletic..Not a bad shooter either and could be one of the top 2 players on the team.

Jordan McRae,IMO. could be the best and most athletic player on the team..Glad he finally will get to show what he can do and I can definitely see some leadership qualities in him..He has that "give me the ball" attitude,which is good.

Jeronne Maymon looks to be a pretty good free throw shooter once he gets started plus he is an excellent passer..Looks to have some toughness in the post.

These were just the starters and won't even get into the rest of the players because that would take a while but I did see some things that I liked..We shall see how many wins this translates to because THIS WAS JUST AN EXHIBITION GAME..Doesn't matter how good or bad the team played.

Smokey says let's play some real basketball..

samvol writes:

Im 110% behing the Vols but good grief if this is whats ahead....its going to be a long year...GoVols...GoZo

STstatefarmVOLS writes:

in response to veinsoforange:

You are so right and I respect Martin to the fullest. He is a good man & coach.

However, we will NEVER see the winning seasons like we did during Pearl's tenure. It's just simply not going to happen.

All-American caliber prospects are just NOT going to choose Tennessee now.

Ernie and Bernie show + 30yrs = Pearl era + 30yrs = 2041 = UT again on national radar

Obviously you know EVERYTHING there is to know about this team and the future since you say we will NEVER see winning seasons like we did with Pearl......SO how about giving me the lottery numbers for this weekend, I could use a new lambo....This was 1 exhibition game, the season hasn't started yet and we already will NEVER wee a winning season...thanks for all of the support, please stop watching and commenting then since they are obviously not worth watching to you. GBO

allvols4life writes:

in response to Abdul_Wauhatchie_Tiftonia_Rahman_of_Orange:

Really? You can't be serious! Martin took the job in March. Recruiting is pretty much done at that point. Did you really expect him to come in and sign 3 five star athletes? Would you rather have a coach come in and say, "Heck no, we ain't gonna do things the right way. We are gonna break every rule in the book to gain a competitive edge. Recruiting rules? We will get the best players no matter the rules?"

Please give me a break. Martin was definitely not my first choice or even in my top 10. I had never heard of him until UT hired him. But I will give the man the time he needs to make this "his team" just like I am willing to give Dooley at least one more year, probably two more years to get "his team" in place.

Your stupidity amazes me!

allvols4life writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

For once, I agree with you! Did I really say that? But the inside scoring is a concern to me as well. And if, UT does not prove they can shoot the outside shot any better than in previous years, the zone will be seen a lot.

Pipe_Down_Otis writes:

in response to LSG410EC83:

Was actually there, unlike many on here trashing the Vols. Yes they looked cold at first. Once all of the adjustments to the defense about halfway through the first half, our defense looked good and saw more hustle out of the team as a whole than I did last year. At least they did not hold on to the ball like they were lost until 5 seconds were left and then decide they needed to get on the ball. The most pitiful thing I saw was not the play or the coaches. It was the typical fan exodus with about 7 minutes to go. Boy, that is the way to back your team and also show support for the new coach. As always, I stayed like the other true fans till the end and the playing of the Waltz. I forgot, most of you that leave have no idea that is what happens at the end of the game. By the way, I dont live 20-30 minutes away from the stadium either. I live 1.5 hours away. Love my Vols and will continue backing them through thick and thin. Come on people, lets give this team and the coaches a chance. It is not like Coach Martin walked into paradise. He walked into a mess much like Coach Dooley did. Oh well, will continue pulling for the Vols as I have for the past 40 plus years. Go Big Orange and Yes, IT IS GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL. CONGRATS ON THE WIN.

Great post......well put.

veinsoforange writes:

in response to TheBigE:

Well, I for one, am not slamming Coach Martin at all. Again, I believe he is a great man and also a good coach. If he wasn't, UT would have not hired him.

However, my middle name is "Reality". That's not a pessimistic mindset, just one that speaks the truth. This team will probably not win a single SEC game (1-2 at best).

We simply do not have the players. It's not a reflection of Martin's ability/lack of ability to coach. It's a fact. And, because our program is in the bottom of the cellar, no 4-star or 5-star recruit (TALENT) is going to come to Tennessee any time soon.

Again, no offense to Martin but our only hope to build a nationally recognized mens basketball program was through someone like Pearl. It takes something special to draw in the level of enthusiasm necessary to turn around such a desparate program.

I'm true Orange, I love my UT, this team and every other team that hits the floor or field but I'm just being realistic. We won't have any fun watching basketball this year or many more to come!

veinsoforange writes:

in response to STstatefarmVOLS:

UT's inaugural men's basketball season was in the 1908-1909 academic year. The way I see it, it's pretty clear to more people than I.

If it takes 103 years to get your first ever #1 National Ranking (1 wk at that), 1st outright SEC championship in over 30yrs, 1st ever Elite 8 appearance, the record for most wins in a season, (should I go on), all within a dense period of time (6yrs), under the same coach, then it is going to be MANY YEARS before we have a chance to even "think about" getting back on that pace!!!

Sorry, but facts don't lie. I truly wish it were different but it's not going to be.

in response to samvol:

Just remember that last year's Vols LOST their first exhibition game. Last night, they played nearly everybody, haven't installed a specific zone offense yet, and even seem to be still looking for the starting team, but they played with energy on defense, shared the ball pretty well, and showed a number of hopeful signs as I saw it. Let's just let the season unfold before we throw it in.

veinsoforange writes:

in response to sly_stone99#434111:

Come on Man!

Again, let's be REAL! None of these guys are coming to Tennessee.

Jarnell Stokes - Arkansas, maybe Mempis!
Shaq Goodwin - TN not even in top 5!
Nino Jackson - Kansas for sure!
Charles Mitchell - GA or GA Tech, UT slim shot!

Chris Thomas - Kansas, UT on list but no way.
Nick King - Mempis, UT made offer, that's all!
Allerik Freeman - r u kidding? UT not on radar!
Jonathan Williams - he has no interest in UT.

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to STLVOLS:

There is an incredible amount of negative thinking on here. Our STL Cardinals were 10.5 games out late August and won World Series.

Yee of little confidence and patience.

Yeah, and by the way, you can send a "thank you" card to 755 Hank Aaron Dr, Atlanta, GA. LOL

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

I don't know what some folks on here expected, but as I understand, this game doesn't count anyway. This program just got put through the wringer by the NCAA, SEC, the Media, b/c of the whole Pearl debacle. It is what it is. Either cheer your team on, or STHU and go find another one.

STLVOLS writes:

The folks out there trashing the VOLS in basketball and football are NOT "BLUE CHIP" "FIVE STAR Fans. They are pretend fans.

True Vol fans do not jump ship and whine with a disgusting "Sky is falling mentality". If the University of Tennessee teams do not please you then do not watch and whine.

There are some of us on here who are objective and support Vols without trashing. The whiners on here again need to get a life.

veinsoforange writes:

in response to usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it:

If you don't like the truth or reality, you can go somewhere else to read!! That's a little more feasible!

in response to veinsoforange:

I don't agree with you on Martin's future, but I don't detect in you the same level of unreasoning doubt toward Martin and the program's future that some of the more determined naysayers have shown. But be honest, now; did you REALLY think Pearl was going to have the success he did when he was first hired? We heard many of the same "Who's he? Why couldn't we have gotten a BIG name? How long will it take for this program to win?, etc., etc." comments when he came aboard.

All that history you cited does not in itself guarantee the future, especially since Martin had no hand in MAKING that history. The 100-odd years of (relative) futility you mentioned were staring Pearl in the face as well, but he managed to rewrite history, and--again--who REALLY saw that coming?

I'm not saying that the facts you cited are wrong, as far as they go. I'm just saying what should be perfectly obvious; the past may INFLUENCE the present and future but it doesn't DETERMINE them. Is there no progress in your world? Does no one make anything better than it was? Why would any of us get up in the morning if we all believed that?

STLVOLS writes:

veinsoforange writes:

in response to STLVOLS:

Young fella, I'm not trashing my alma mater and I'm far from a pretend fan. The sky has already fell!

You are like the majority of people (humans for that matter), you can't stand the TRUTH!

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to veinsoforange:

If you look at the history of Tennessee Basketball there have been three periods of solid winning. Mears, Green and Pearl, and the fans really didn't care about Green, which shows UT fans are not Basketball savy.

For the most part as long as they get to the tournament once every four years they're fine, there's no desire to have a top tier basketball program, never has been. Those same fans will tell you you're not a real fan because you don't like some moves this coach as making. I think the one's who aren't the real fans are the ones satisfied with having a mediocre to bottom of the barrell basketball program because "we're a football school anyways"

STLVOLS writes:

in response to veinsoforange:

I graduated in 1975 from UTK. I detect that you do not have a positive attitude.

I regret that your sky has fallen. Perhaps you need to root for another team.

veinsoforange writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Very intelligent comments John. I agree with you.

I didn't see the degree of future success immediately upon Pearl's hire. However, in following the pre-Pearl coaching search along with my father, Pearl was our favorite the entire time.

The truth is my grief runs so deep simply because we will never have the opportunity to complete the upward trend we were on with Pearl.

veinsoforange writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

I have been going to UT basketball games since I was 5yrs old, and yes I used to watch them during the Mears years.

I actually am one that would rather have an elite basketball program. That's why I'm so disappointed with our current program status.

The pain of losing our momentum, enthusiasm, excitement in TBA, etc. will never leave! It hurts!

STLVOLS writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

I think both of you guys need to get a life outside UT sports. In total scheme of life, there are more important issues.

VOL grad 1975 Transportation Logistics

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

in response to veinsoforange:

Come on Man!

Again, let's be REAL! None of these guys are coming to Tennessee.

Jarnell Stokes - Arkansas, maybe Mempis!
Shaq Goodwin - TN not even in top 5!
Nino Jackson - Kansas for sure!
Charles Mitchell - GA or GA Tech, UT slim shot!

Chris Thomas - Kansas, UT on list but no way.
Nick King - Mempis, UT made offer, that's all!
Allerik Freeman - r u kidding? UT not on radar!
Jonathan Williams - he has no interest in UT.

Didn't say they were coming, my point is that they are being recruited. Tennessee is not a Kentucky,North Carolina or Duke. Some 5 star recruits will never consider UT, but based on the links below UT is on their list. That's a start. So what do you have that indicates otherwise?

OwensboroVol writes:

Unfortunately, Big Orange Fans can expect a lot more of the same. By January 15, You will be begging UT to hire Bruce Pearl as a consultant to the head coach or some other bull title. The days of great College Basketball at Tennessee are over. This is what happens when a AD on the way out hires a coach in a few days without taking time to see what would be available.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Pearl had a much bigger resume than Martin did. He had coached a Division II school to a national title and had taken UWM to the NCAA tournament, including a sweet 16 appearance. Martin has three years as a head coach with zero NCAA tournament appearances. So for people to sit here and say "you didn't expect Pearl to win", is stupid because Pearl had many more accomplishments than Coach Martin.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to sly_stone99#434111:

He can recruit those guys all he wants, but at the end of the day if he only winds up with guys programs who didn't make the NCAA tournament want, it still results in a bottom of the barrell program once Pearls' guys leave. I want a coach whose goal it is to take Tennessee to the NCAA tournament year in and year out, and will recruit the players needed to accomplish that goal. The recruits we're getting for next year aren't going to get that done.

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

Wes your points would have some validation if Coach Martin had been at UT for 3 or more years and his record was dismal. If he shows progress each year and has a team that contends your points are meaningless. Pearl was a great marketing coach, he recruited good players, but never got that steady point guard, missed out on every key recruit out of Memphis, never got anyone into the NBA until Harris came along (which he was NBA bound). So slow your row with the judgement on Coach Martin, lets see if there is progress to be made on the floor and in recruiting. He didn't just fall off the turnip truck, he and his staff are well aware of the competition in the SEC and what it's going to take to win games.

STLVOLS writes:

in response to usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it:

Side note. No smack talk. My wife and I were at the STL/ Braves matchup when Braves were last here late August. Cards around 7.5 out at that time.

Braves have excellent fans but that series was a real turning point surprise when Cards swept and turned things around.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to sly_stone99#434111:

I think I have a valid point in that, if he was so confident he could get those kids, why is he offering the other kids scholarships? I think taking as many bodies as he did last year was a panic move, and he should have kept one or two open for the next recruiting class. His recruiting practices are causing me concern, and I don't think it's irrational to think that.

VolzsFan writes:

in response to bigdisbig:

Most frustrating show of a UT team against a glorified high school. These guys won't win 15 games this year.

another know nothing basketball fan. First, if they win 15 with this schedule they will probably get a bid. Second, you do not understand the exhibition deal. Butler just lost to a D2 school and Syracuse did last year. The year UNC won the National Title they lost to a lower division team. Relax and watch Dooley's kids get their brains beat in and chill.

VolzsFan writes:

This team will be better than people think. Styles make fights and games. The 2-3 zone tends to do that early in a season before it gets worked on as much. Most of you have never played and do not understand. However, just like Phil when the ceiling of success is set so high nothing else will satisfy. The recent run of the most successful football, basketball and baseball coaches that where fired are now over. Thank you Hammy. Enjoy all around UT sports mediocrity....errr the change.

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

SMH

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Too many posts on here from non-believers. "Oh ye of little faith"!! These "non-believers" are not fans and never were. They only come on here 'cause they can't stand that UT might actually do well. If by some remote possibility they are UT fans then they are the worst possible fans to have. Remember, just because it has vols or orange in their name doesn't make them fans. It makes many of them liars. Not that I'm calling them one.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

To be fair, Phil's glory days were way behind him, and he had gone 9 years without winning a championship and had two losing seasons. His termination was justified but hiring Lane Kiffen hurt us more than firing Fulmer. Pearl made a mistake but had this happened 10 years ago, he would not have been fired. Delmonaco was successful, but his success is somewhat overblown, as for every successful year he had, he usually followed that up with two horrible years. I don't think Hamilton was as inclined to fire him before he made the comments basically daring him to do so, and again he followed it up with a horrible hire.

I don't see Dooley lasting much longer, and I think Hart is willing to spend money on the Football program to get a top teir coach (whether one accepts is another story), however I worry when it comes to basketball he might be a little too much like Doug Dickey.

STLVOLS writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

I agree. Good post.

STLVOLS writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

Martin has only had one game. Take a look at Rivals.com recruiting website.

Fact-Vols have verbal commitments from several four star football recruits for 2012. Vols currently ranked #13 in the Rivals.com football verbal commitment category for 2012.

STLVOLS writes:

CORRECTION-Rivals.com recruiting site shows verbal VOL football commitments at nine (9) four state recruits for 2012. Check it out!!!

STLVOLS writes:

Also on Rivals.com when you see VOL football verbal at #13 click on Tennessee and it shows names of all commitments including the nine four stars.