vol_oldhickory writes:

in response to thevoice:

Chavis is not head coaching material. He's stated as much in years past. Fulmer? Well, you're only as good as your recent experience.

The kids today are interested in coaches with NFL experience to get them to the next level. Possible options if we pay the $$$.

A. Jeff Fisher
B. Gregg Williams (Saints Def. coordinator)
C. Eric Mangini
D. Jack Del Rio

Caspian writes:

Not the end of the world. Over the course of 26 years, the pendulum eventually swings this way. Dooley deserves one more recruiting class and one more season before any serious consideration of replacement. Football is way too important to a lot of people. There are far more serious things going on in the world to concern oneself with right now. For your own personal sake, don't lose sight of that at the expense of exhausting your time and passion on a game played by college kids.

pcorange writes:

in response to Caspian:

Maybe you should consider becoming a Harvard fan. As for Tennessee, I'd much prefer they take the millions they get and field a winning team with it. Dooley would make a good AD somewhere, but I don't think he has what it takes to get these boys back to winning. He should gracefully resign and save himself and the university the grief of a firing. This year, the next, or the year after, the firing is inevitable.

SilasDogooder writes:

in response to Willis:

Phillip Fulmer would have never lead us down this dark street.

Willis, when Phat Phil left the premises we were LIVING on this "dark street". Did your mama drop you on your head when you were a baby?

justice_served writes:

Last year Derek Dooley took us to the Music City Bowl, this year he has taken us to the Toilet Bowl.

If we are still unsure what direction he is taking us, the answer is swirling downward in an ever increasing vortex towards the wastelands of college football.

I feel sorry for the seniors and rest of the players who have played hard only for the end to come like this.

I believe the white elephant standing in the middle of the room needs to be addressed. Is Dooley the man for this job? I believe the answer is an emphatic no.

Last week when many fans celebrated so heavily with the win over lowly Vanderbilt, I couldn't help but wonder : Has the bar been lowered this low?

After two seasons of all time lows, the latest of which has seen Kentucky snap a 26 year streak, it is time to access just how long everyone needs before the writing on the wall becomes more legible.

Coach Majors was a proven winner when he came here; it took him many years to build the team to a powerhouse. Fulmer took over the reigns and proved his mettle by winning a national championship, plus many years of winning records.

Coach Dooley, on the other hand, came to UT with a losing record at La Tech and a father who was a proven winner at Georgia.

I think Dooley is probably a great individual, but I sincerely do not think he is coaching material for a school that wants to win. And by winning I don't mean a 6-6 regular season.

Personally, I would like to see Tennessee bounce back to winning form during my lifetime. I'm concerned that we are only delaying the rebuilding effort with Dooley.

Florida realized that Ron Zook was not the right fit, and replaced him with Urban Meyer who quickly turned that program around.

I have been watching the Vols for over 30 years, and I am really concerned about this free- fall I have been witnessing

markc2 writes:

Caspian- you are exactly right. There are more important things. But with the amount of money that is pumped into the sport, the coach needs to earn what he makes. Expecting anything less is for losers.

bigdisbig writes:

Dooley quote...."We're not very good, guys,'' Dooley said, "and I've been saying that all year"

Dooley should have said..."I am not a good coach. I can't motivate these guys and I have no idea what play to call most of the time. I take full blame for this loss and am probably the worst coach in the history of Tennessee Football"

Next year every SEC team we play will be better. We will NOT be better with the pathetic coaches we have. We will have better players but unfortunately we will have inept coaches....AGAIN.
Every game we lost this year was due to bad coaching and play calling. Even the announcers noticed and made comments about why Dooley called certain plays in key situations. When you have a 3rd and 3 you DO NOT throw a bomb! When you are moving the ball down field you DO NOT disrupt your scheme by running a wildcat formation on the 12 yard line when it hasn't worked all game.
When you have a quarterback, who is sick, that keeps missing passes and going 3 and out you REPLACE HIM.......pathetic coaching. THANKS MAMMA'S BOY DOOLEY FOR TAKING US TO A NEW LOW IN FOOTBALL. THANKS FOR MAKING THE SPORTS CENTER HIGHLIGHTS FOR THE WRONG REASON. YOU ARE A JOKE AND YOU NEED TO RESIGN.

pcorange writes:

in response to justice_served:

Amen!!!

markc2 writes:

Hart- do your job and pull the trigger. I don't have enough years left to watch Dooley water the bamboo.

markc2 writes:

News flash- we are now the WORST team in the SEC East (or West for that matter). There's some progress Dooley.

CityVol1 writes:

in response to justice_served:

The bar has been lowered because of Dooley and all of his "Year Zero" and "We are a bad team" nonsense. He has probably lost his chance to create any excitement about the program in his image. This is the University of Tennessee. Why all the negativity from the coach? Can you not get excited about coaching the Big Orange?

allenf1#223463 writes:

in response to rbut5252#220065:

I say again...I'll say it till my dying day...this is exactly what we deserve for firing Fulmer.

Amen. Fulmer was either loved or loathed in the last few years of his tenure. But he gave his life to Tennessee and did not deserve the sudden firing that Hambone (the puppet) and Haslam (the puppetmaster) orchestrated. When it was obvious that Hambone and Haslam had Lame Kiffin in their sights and needed to get rid of Fulmer quick before another team hired Lame, I told everyone that would listen the move would end up biting us in the behind. Well, the biting has begun.

JohnnyVol writes:

I think, of all the things I have seen today - and this season - what concerns me most is what CDD said today after the game. He said, "We are not a good team, I have been saying that all year." (or something very similar)

That statement by itself really concerns me. I believe that he will be allowed one more year. But...with that kind of mental approach, I am very uncertain of his effectiveness. Hmmm...

We'll see.

dbs writes:

in response to allenf1#223463:

One has to wonder if Haslam's money is worth the interference. His meddling has done nothing but leave the men's athletic programs in a shambles - football, baseball, track and basketball. All are shadows of what they once were. And the blame lays squarely at the feet of Hamilton, Cheek and Haslam.

allenf1#223463 writes:

in response to dbs:

dbs, I have said the same thing for years. Schools that let the high dollar donors start pulling the strings usually fall into shambles. We are witnessing right now at our beloved UT.

tkwhitman#209553 writes:

I have read the comments on this site for several years and I finally feel the need to post. Let me say I am a die hard Vol fan in Arkansas and went to the game in Fayetteville this year. I went to support the Vols which is more than I can say for the band (huge dissapointment). I went with a friend who is a Sooner fan and i will have to say, I was embarassed with the product we had on the field. Usually the Arkansas game is very big for me because of all the razorback fans i work with. Now, it is not even an issue, i just get sympathy and pity. I am not posting because I think I have the answer, but what we trot out on the field as a football team....I'm so tired of excuses. I cannot beleive we have fallen so low, I don't care if we have had 3 coaches in 3 weeks and have nothing but freshmen, we should be better than this.

gobigorange5001 writes:

All season I've said "Give Coach Dooley a chance." I have since changed my mind. Today's game was one of the worst I have ever seen. We are not making progress and are going backward.

Coach Dooley, please do the honorable thing and RESIGN. You are in over your head.

volfan-for-life writes:

can someone explain to me what the heck is going on in big orange country i have been a fan for 40 yrs good times and bad but this has gone to a new low

budd#207344 writes:

To the seniors- Thank you for working as hard as you did this year.

To Randy Sanders- Great game plan. You beat UT with a second string wide receiver. Guess it wasn't your fault after all.

To Derek Dooley- If you want to last past next year hire experienced WINNING assistants that can coach. Otherwise better retake the bar exam.
And lose the smart remarks

To Coach Wilcox- welcome to the SEC. There is a Greyhound leaving for Boise in the morning.

To Coach Hiestand- Of all the assistants I think you win the "Worst" award

To Phil Fulmer- Thanks for your arrogance and laziness. You are why we are here today.

BainxGriffith writes:

in response to rbut5252#220065:

I am the exact opposite.
Fulmer should have been bumped off 5 years before he was let go. Imagine where we would be if you would have got rid of Lips and Hips 5 years earlier!

TommyJack writes:

in response to thevoice:

I just want to know where Tommyjack is. I'm concerned.

Been to the E.R.....Had to have my wrists sutured.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to mtthw741:

Shame on Dooley for impersonating a football coach and taking millions of dollars from such a prestigious university.

That's what lawyers do......

jobrando#216494 writes:

We suck so bad even the trolls have gone away.

volcop writes:

in response to knoxchatter:

As recently as Thursday, Dooley was saying that Bray was still 'very rusty...not even close to 100%"...it was obvious very early in the game today that this was true. Would it not have been a smart coaching move to put in Simms or Worley, with his blown redshirt, at least while the game may have still been attainable early just to see if it would have made any difference? After the game, Dooley described Bray as 'lethargic' the whole game? What was the rationale of continuing to play him? Of course, the outcome was not solely on Bray's shoulders...but...but, it was another example of poor coaching decisions and management, which has been prevalent all season!

then a good coach that knows this plays another player

Retiredvol writes:

in response to Willis:

Phillip Fulmer would have never lead us down this dark street.

I am not a huge supporter of Dooley and today with all of the berating of players I like him less. If he can't coach up these players he needs to resign. But STFU about Fulmer he is gone and he was part of this problem !!!

knoxchatter writes:

in response to volcop:

then a good coach that knows this plays another player

you are correct volcop...one would certainly think a coach would make a change. Let's not forget how quickly he yanked the plug on Simms...??

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

WHAT DID YOU EXPECT??? We hire a coach with a losing record who had enough time at his former school to double-time as the Athletic Director and YOU guys think that this guy was ever going to succeed in the SEC? The naivete of Vols fans is only exceeded by their inability to deny that they don't understand how the game is actually won IN THE MODERN ERA...WHICH, BY THE WAY, WE ACTUALLY PLAY IN.

COACHING MATTERS!

royalblue writes:

These two teams suck. The outcome was decided by where it was played. If it was in Knoxville UT wins and the streak goes on. I'm glad it was in Lexington for obvious reasons, but hate that UT missed a bowl game opportunity. I am a SEC fan with one exception and that is any team coached by Spurrier. Don't feel too bad. UT will rise to the top in the very near future. I dread the payback next year.

volcop writes:

in response to JohnnyVol:

We'll see.

it is the coach's job to make them better, get them ready to play, and use the talent he has to win, Doolittle has done none of this

tvol71 writes:

I don't know yet if Dooley will rebuild the VOLS or not, and I doubt anyone else does either, but this year, they had one of the worst schedules in the country and lost their main receiver most of the year and QB part of the year. They would have won more games if they had them. That said, I am disappointed this team developed a "loser mentality". This clearly needs to be addressed. Dooley should have another year, but they should also set a target, probably at 8 wins for next year for him to continue past 2012.

totoiv writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

You can debate whether the extra practices would make a difference, it was Dooley last year who said not being bowl eligible would be unforgivable and would set the program back. He himself stated not going 6-6 was unacceptable. Plus, they dropped UNC and added Buffalo to guarantee use a bowl game.

hamptonvols writes:

Poole stated that no one wanted to be out there. Maybe the players were tired this coaching staff, and would rather quite then play another month. Even Bray stated that they have been playing since Dec. No breaks. To me this is not a team. These guys have no idea the chance they have to play major college football. I would have given everything to play for Tenn. That is what our seniors from last year did for us.

allenf1#223463 writes:

Anybody follow Justin Hunter's twitter? Read that he tweeted earlier today saying "I'm Done". If anyone follows him, is this true, and in what context was the tweet. The thought of him leaving the team would be just another set back.

BamaVol writes:

in response to Willis:

Phillip Fulmer would have never lead us down this dark street.

That my friend is pure BS

Hrockytop writes:

in response to allenf1#223463:

Surely not....

born2ride writes:

Coach Dooley's first year did not count because UT football was in such a terrible mess when he took over. His first season was....

YEAR ZERO

This year Coach Dooley lost his starting QB and best wide reciever so this season does not count either and it is....

YEAR ZERO - PART II

Next year - Coach Dooley may have more injuries so it would be....

YEAR ZERO - PART III

But if we can all be patient (like his Momma says) and wait until the...

YEAR 2018

which will only be Coach Dooley's...

YEAR 4

at Tennessee (in Dooley Time) we should see fast improvement.

We all know it takes any coach at least 4 years to rebuild a depleted program.

Why in no time at all the Vols will be beating UK again.

Go Big Orange!

VOLSVOLS writes:

I think Dooley is a good coach but he doesn't have the right coaches. We need to fire our offensive line coach JIM CHANEY and special teams coach if we even want to have a good season next year. The problem with firing Dooley is that we would lose many good recruits and players would most likely transfer.

ScottEmge writes:

Derek Dooley and his staff are complete failures and have humiliated UT Football.
You hire a coach with a losing record on the cheap and guess what? You get what you pay for... a crappy coach who loses. Hart should give Dooley his pink slip as soon as he slinks back into Knoxville and start the search for a real coach asap!

tan007 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

I was right there with you & agree...no siree...I don't want to do that again! EVER

WaVol writes:

in response to EastTNvolfan:

I have supported Dooley and this team through the thick and thin this year. I am not a fair weather fan by any means. This loss cannot be blamed on inexperience or lack of depth or injury or any other that has been attributed to our other losses. We simply didn't show up at all today to a game that we should have easily won. I can accept losses to Alabama, LSU, South Carolina, Arkansas, Florida because they were all ranked or are ranked and are better teams. I cannot accept a loss to an inferior Kentucky team. This team did what no other team in 26 years has done..lost to Kentucky. I still look forward to next year but this hurts

Couldn't have said it better myself. This team was more than capable of beating UK today. They were totally unprepared, horribly coached, and played the whole game with zero spirit or passion. Pathetic and humiliating.

Volswell writes:

Fat Phil is sitting back in his recliner laughing his butt off and eating donuts covered in karma.

Wdmoses writes:

Oh well. There's always basketball season!

movinonup writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

We suck so bad even the trolls have gone away.

That is the saddest statement of all...but so true.

terrymoyers#260320 writes:

Great day in Tennessee football history. Love it.

underthehill writes:

Poetic Justice after making fun of Vandy. Look at them today and look at the respect their coach is getting.

asand211 writes:

in response to Willis:

LOTS OF DROPPED PASSES

Seriously? Did you not see how poorly Bray threw the ball? Most of his passes weren't even close.

SUPERVOL writes:

The biggest concern with this whole situation that worries me is this, will Hart act quick enough to stop the bleeding that Hamilton's band-aid has caused? This man came from a mid-major school where he had a losing record as well, hmmmm. Hamilton decides to hand over the reigns of one of the most storied programs in the history of the NCAA to a man who can't win at a mid-major? Dooley was nothing but a quick fix for Hamilton to save his butt from the Kiffin debacle. There are many coaches out there who would love to coach here, that can coach here, and would be willing to come right now and save the recruiting class and maybe even add to it. We all knew things were bad, I can take losing games to Top 10 programs when our starting QB is out. But to lose to a team who couldn't score on a D-III school with a wide receiver at QB is unexcusable. The man does not deserve to be the head coach at the University of Tennessee and Dave Hart needs to immediately find a replacement. If they want that big ole stadium even close to 2/3 full next year it has to happen soon. UT football is dying and it isn't from a death penalty by the NCAA, it's a death penalty by an incompetent AD and a pitiful excuse for a football coach. GO BIG ORANGE, let's right this ship before it goes down even further!

underthehill writes:

in response to holleyab:

Umm, don't look now.... But La Tech just went 8-5 and accepted a poinsettia bowl invite.... Ummmm.... i wonder if they would trade head coaches?

Think they might play VANDY?

us43137415#376444 writes:

Boys, I hate to say it, but...

This reminds me of Todd Raleigh as Tennessee head baseball coach..

I said after his second season, he was the worst baseball coach ever. It took Hammy two MORE seasons of losing records, to finally can him.

My feeling right now is, to avoid what we went through with Raleigh.. Dooley doesn't need two more years, but he'll get them.

PREDICTION... Tennessee football will NOT return to dominance for the next 10 to 15 years. It will take at least that long, for us to just HAPPEN up on a good coach.

Until then, we'll float through at least 3 more mediocre coaches who cannot prepare and fire up the troops.

I'm done with Tennessee Volunteer football. I'll not spend another dime on it.

26-1since1984 writes:

seeing Tee Martin celebrating a Kentucky win over Tennessee was disgusting.