mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to SmokeyontheWater:

Hey!? I'm not a "high-school typist" as well!! I see high schoolers type a lot and you'd be amazed. They do it mostly with their thumbs.(texting)
Besides he's right about Stokes being able to fix us right off. He sure will be a help though I'm thinking. Maybe I'm just remembering how we did better last year with a 5 star in the line-up. Oh wait we lost some games badly with Harris playing very well. ???? Arrrrrghghg! One can't depend on one player. One must play as a team One supposes.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Sllleeeeeppp! The last post was meant to say I can't type any bettr thnf diigf kai.

tennrich1 writes:

Man I'm a hoping all these in state teams we are playing are giving us their best shot because otherwise we are in serious trouble...BUT I do believe the light can go on and the rotation can settle down and we can be okay...Trae is REALLY struggling with his game right now and the freshman are playing like, well...Freshman...We still need to learn what is a good shot and what is not....

pdhuff#552644 writes:

No style points but a W.

Put the fear into Ky, though.

LOL

GBO

VOODOOley-2011 (Inactive) writes:

Hold On Vols until Stokes gets here. Right Now Maryville college could give you a run for the money.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to VOODOOley-2011:

That's because our young team doesn't understand about playing down to the competition and how that can lull you into oblivion!!

Bubba_Knows writes:

When a team is not a very good shooting team, you play a compressed zone defense, dare them to beat you from the outside, and you box out and shut them down. Tennessee, despite what some of you think, is not a very good shooting team. They will see ZONE D the rest of the season and will struggle in the SEC. This is a W that was improbable - kind of a gift W. Merry Christmas to us (Vols).

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to pdhuff#552644:

No style points but a W.

Put the fear into Ky, though.

LOL

GBO

LOL is right. Kentuicky could beat this team with their 2nd team.

Bubba_Knows writes:

in response to SATCHMOE:

Got to learn how to break the zone. You don't do it by dribbling but quick passes. Need to pass,pass,pass, to break the zone.We need a shooting point guard that can hit from the top of the key. Oh Well

Well said Sir. You are correct. My coach used to say I better not hear that ball hit the floor during practice against a zone defense. A zone is largely ineffective if a team passes well and has several players that are just average shooters.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I think I'm awake enough now to give ETSU some credit. Again a mid-major team has great guards(seem to be a "dime a dozen"). One point guard in particular. Why do the mid-majors get them? Because the major teams want Stoke type players or bigs that are athletic.
Golden will learn the point I think by the time he is a Jr. Washpun I hope is working on his shooting skills. I was almost serious in another post about Woolridge at point because he can see over the defense and has had some good passes inside. That was missing mostly last night for Golden and Washpun. Our overall ball-handling was good considering the great defense they through at us on the perimeter. Our passes were awful at times. Maymon AND Woolridge were often ignored. I hope it wasn't selfishness and was just fear of making a bad pass.

hikerdude writes:

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

Lack of a really good PG showed badly in this game..Sr. Bobby Maze would have drove it right down the middle and jammed it in their face!!But Golden isn't a senior nor does he have Maze's muscle or speed.Big turning point in game came win the Vols had 44-41 lead and a ton of momentum!!!Enter Washpun out of the time out and he single handedly in less than 5 minutes sent ETSU on a 8-0 run by throwing wild passes;3 turnovers and a crazy 3 point brick!!He played 10 minutes went 0-4;missed his ft's and I lost track of the to's he caused!! Say what you want about Golden but had he stayed in the game the Vol's may have blown the game open.

Really? Maze was fair at best. We haven't had a decent point guard since C. J. Watson left.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Bubba_Knows:

Actually our 3s are pretty good overall. Timing and choices of when haven't always been ideal. The more we see zone the more we'll improve in that area. I'm thinking Martin will have them passing inside all week in practice. No dribbling just passing. No 3s just pass it inside. well that's what I hope he does. You can practice 3s on your own time.lol UT needs Golden and McRae and Washpun to grow up fast as perimeter players. They are ok in transition but terrible half court. But I have to say we somehow put it together before the end of the game. The past 2 games our last 5 minutes have been our best. But you're right in that the SEC may be a lot tougher in overcoming a deficit.
MERRY CHRISTMAS Vols.

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Wasn't pretty, but a win is a win.

Can't wait 'til Stokes arrives on campus.

Smokey says Stokes is just what the Dr. ordered..

SummittsCourt writes:

Barely beating and sometimes losing to mid major also rans... thanks hammy - you're the gift that keeps on giving.

in response to DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho:

All of you guys thinking that Stokes is going to come in and turn around this team instantly...you need to get rid of that junk right now. Stokes is a GREAT pick-up and POTENTIAL impact on this team could be a game changer for the Vols...but look to next season. He needs to ride the bench and earn a starting position (and honestly, the kid has the right mindset to do that). This is a burner season and while I didn't think it would be as bad as it has been, it IS Martin's first season. A lot of people think I'm unreasonable and want instant success (and if you say you don't want instant success, then you're a liar), but what I want more than anything is demonstrable progress. Martin made progress in recruiting. He seems to have gotten this team's heart back into winning games. As long as he keeps building on that progress, then he has my support.

Oh and yes, I expect him to lose to UF and I don't expect any more 5 star recruits for a while, but progress IS progress. Martin has done it at his other job, I believe he can do it here.

That might be the fairest post I have ever seen from you. Gives me even more hope for the future. None of us knows how good Stokes is going to be this season, but even if he were the second coming of Bernard King, he can't fix the deepest problem of this team, which is maddeningly inconsistent back-court play. I'll give Golden props for his play in the last few minutes against ETSU, but for most of the game it was just one "What the heck is he DOING?" play after another.

I wish only four things for Golden for Christmas: 1) DON'T get your pocket picked standing around between the rings; 2) DON'T try to throw the ball through two or more guys in different-colored jerseys; 3) BEND your knees in your defensive stance; you get driven around because you stand up too straight; and 4) FOLLOW THROUGH on your 3-pointers; you've been short-arming the ball for at least three weeks now. Fix those things and you can be the kind of player we need and that I am sure you want to be.

BolivrBob writes:

First of all, it was great to win and see we FINALLY played some defense at the end. We were definitely out hustled the entire game. It seemed they got every loose ball, really getting "after it" on long rebounds. 17 offensive rebounds? That doesn't even seem possible. Lackadaisical play for the most part.

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Some good points here as usual. I think a lot of these quick mid-major guards get overlooked because they may lack either the size or straight-ahead speed the big boys are looking for. The thing is, sheer size and speed are not as important in a guard as a solid handle and good vision, but those things are hard to quantify, so recruiting services tend to overlook anybody who doesn't look like Kobe Bryant, Derrick Rose, or John Wall.

And those ratings DO tend to influence which guys most big-school coaches are likely to look at first. Not only that, but coaches tend to some degree to favor multi-star guys that everybody knows so they can "point with pride" at how highly-rated their classes are. Coaches seem to fall in love with athleticism, figuring that it is easier to teach an athletic guy how to play than it is to increase the athleticism of a guy who lacks it, as they reckon those things.

I disagree. Real basketball players come in all shapes and sizes. "All he does is beat you" is NOT just a clever phrase; some guys just seem to know almost from the beginning of their careers what they need to do to be successful, and sheer natural talent is among the LEAST important attributes in that ability. It takes a particularly self-assured coach to take guys based on their ability to PLAY as opposed merely to their visibility on the national landscape.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

your right about these mid major PG's. A kid like JP Primm would serve this team well right now and I don't think Sollazo ever came out of the game..Golden is certainly getting a trial by fire and it would be nice to see him shooting the ball like he was early in the season..This is a new offense to this team but we have had the luxury of getting a wide range and skills of opposing defenses which is a good learning tool..Martin is using this time to experiment with his rotation but it all comes back to the same problem."Consistency"..We don't have it and little will change until we do

tgiles1944#654264 writes:

6'10" - 6'11" & 7'0" ANY QUESTIONS?

LSG410EC83 writes:

What a game. Too tired to comment when got back to Kingsport last night. Our guards need to do something. Wes's ball handling has improved and believe he is beginning to give Golden a run for his money for playing time now. ETSU played a heck of a game. A win is a win. I was suprised to see the fans stay. I have finally figured a way to get the fans to get loud during the game. Throw t-shirts out while the game is being played. This seems the only way they are going to stand up and make noise. I probably get more upset during the t-shirt toss than watching the guys play poorly. For the love of Pete, back the guys like you do the t-shirts. Anyway, everyone have a Merry Christmas. Remember the Jesus is the reason for the season. IT IS GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL. GO BIG ORANGE.

Ironcity writes:

I will give Golden props for effort but he is out of position and it shows. he just can't cover any talented PGs. That said he would do well as a two. The loss of two PGs not committing to Pearl really has set this team back. Last year we had a PG incapable of running an offense and this year we have a guard incapable of stopping anyone.

What concerns me is the only hope we have for next year is Washpun. I have not seen anything that suggest he will be an SEC PG anytime soon. I really like Golden, think he makes a fine offensive player but he should not be covering PGs who consistently blow right down the lane. I got to say this team is disappointing this year. The lack of a PG recruit for next year is a little concerning.

in response to Ironcity:

Still waiting for the wife to get all her stuff together to leave, so I have time for one more comment. I'm sure many of you can relate!

If I were Washpun, I would try to get up about a thousand shots a day in the off-season. He looks like he has never even considered really learning how to shoot. He is sort of the type of player I had in mind in a post on another thread. He has great quickness and a 40" vertical is nothing to sneeze at. However, his skill set is EXTREMELY limited. I'm sure the idea in signing him was to have an athletic backup PG and to teach him how to play as time went on. However, it will largely be up to him to acquire the skills he needs to play at this level. The coaches can suggest things to work on and check on his progress, but he needs to put in the individual work.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Ironcity:

I mostly agree.
Washpun- great D and great upside with time and work. His shooting may be the worst I've ever seen in a guard...His dunking may have been the culprit in high school? Heck then dunk some! Mainly just get in the gym and shoot.
Golden-Had a few great early games this year and last year showed a bit of promise. I blame Pearl in hindsight.lol Pearl should have played him over Maze to give him more time at point. But I don't think Pearl was looking to the future with some of his decisions last year.?
Any how Golden is getting better at the end of games now and seems to be figuring some things out. Some of his Defense seems to be just the quickness of the opposing guards. He's not anticipating what they're gonna do. I don't think he played any D in high school like I'm guessing Washpun probably didn't have to shoot out side with his dunking ability.
Concerned? You've a right to be concerned. Someone has to get the ball inside unless we stay better than average on outside shots. Our stiffest competition is coming up with the SEC.
If Golden and Washpun and even a coupla others like Richardson and Miller and Hall(getting better though) don't get better then we'll need our new 5 star recruit to forget learning the system and just take over. Not a very smart way to go probably, for him too.
It's very concerning to me that a guard can't get the ball inside on offense when we need to. That's where they need to demand the ball. Hall, Maymon, and Woolridge NEED the ball in their hands if we're gonna have a "go to" at any position. Our guards could get loose more if the opposing guards had to drop back more to help defend our bigs.
Well this may be my last post for a while as my 81 year old Mom is getting ready for family coming and needs my help. You think Santa lists are long? Well then you ought to look at her chores lists!!!???HelllllP

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Golly John I'm not stalking you I promise.

Dougb-VFL writes:

in response to ricks995:

This is a poor ETSU team that has lost to Stetson, Troy, Florida Gulf Coast, and Tennessee Tech. Tennessee will be lucky to win 5 games in the SEC this year and none on the road. We lose to Austin Peay at home and barely beat ETSU and and UNC Asheville. Please dont expect Stokes to be a miracle worker...remember he should still be in high school. Gonna be a long year.

You will be lucky to have 5 friends with your negative attitude! I played basketball my whole life and any opponent can beat you at any given moment and a victory is sweet no matter where the opponent is ranked.Try and be more positive because life is too short to always have a half empty glass!VFL

SunshineVol writes:

Top 200 in the nation soon.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to Ironcity:

know anything about the PG martin is recruiting by the name of Munson? He is from Missouri.

Jakevol writes:

in response to ricks995:

I agree, This is a weak ETSU team this year. ETSU plays hard with less tallent. Their well coached. I'm glad their playing my old ETSU boys from Johnson City. Good match ups. I don't see the Vols doing much in the SEC.

Volumnus writes:

Travesty, shame, embarrassment, fiasco, ludicrous and inexplicable all seem like such inadequate words to explain this set of circumstances. How in the hell did we get here??? Oh, I remember, Mike Hamilton...
Thanks, Mike, we owe you!