MemphisHog writes:

in response to tennrich1:

That would happen at other stadiums but not in Knoxville...EVER....How do you think we still rank in the top 15 football programs by Forbes given the last 4 or 5 seasons we've had....Say what we will the support may drop, what, 10%...which for most programs which spell catastrophic news...but we drop down to averaging in the 80,000's....but I know it's fun for opposing programs to beat up on us right now...I too wish we had a shot at the Hogs next year...actually I'd feel pretty good about our chances...after all....the Hogs/Vols record is laughably lopsided....

You are absolutely correct, tennrich. The Vols feasted on the Hogs during the 'wonderful' Danny Ford/Houston Nutt years; no doubt about it. Now that we have a real coach, the schedule makers shaft us out of next year's game.

As for the comment about all the red in Neyland, hey, I know it would never happen. Just thought I'd rile everybody up this morning. The week between Christmas and New Year's is pretty slow up here...

superVOLman writes:

in response to DenverVol:

Wow! Love all the optimism on here from all you so called fans. Yes, the past few years have been tough but geeze if all you see is the sky falling please do us all a favor and get out from underneath it. I see this schedule as a ton more favorable then this past season. If we can stay a bit more healthy in 2012 I see 8 to 10 wins. This fan is truly looking forward to NSD and Spring practice. Go VOLS!

I'm right there with you DV; I just wish we had a little more optimism among the group...Don't get me wrong I understand how frustrating it's been over the last few seasons but football is cyclical..we will rise again; it's just a matter of time

Artistspot writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

Wins: Georgia State, Akron, Troy, Kentucky

Losses: NC State, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi State, Alabama, South Carolina, Missouri, Vanderbilt.

Thats what im talking about ...... time will time, soon!

MemphisHog writes:

in response to NashvillePreds:

Try actually winning a meaningful game in my lifetime, and then get back to us.

I'm searching hard for a good response to that, but sadly I'm not coming up with much. Other than this year, we've had LSU's number lately. South Carolina's too. Would beating Kansas State in the Cotton Bowl count?

Moesart writes:

Dooley need 7 wins and a big change in team attitude to keep his job. Start by playing 4 quarters instead of 2.

GBO1204 writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

Wins: Georgia State, Akron, Troy, Kentucky

firing our coach will lead to 5 more years of a 4-8 season. Keep your coach=win games.

westknoxrepub writes:

in response to frblalack:

We do have an easier schedule than 2011 in that we won't be playing Arkansas or LSU...unless it's in the Conference Championship. Oh, wait
YOU said we're going 4-8. Pretty much eliminates our winning the Eastern Division. But are you sure we won't be 3-9? or 2-10?

Your NEGATIVITY should not even be allowed on a Vol Fan Website. Bet all the West Knox Republicans are proud of you!

My bad...I should say everyone is entitled to their own opinion...absurd as it may be.

All Vols - All the Time - Vol for Life!

There is a difference between having an easier schedule and having an easy schedule. We do not have an easy schedule. NC State is playing very well, certianly better than we were at the end of our season. Given it's the Georgia Dome and our first game out of the gate following a horrible performance at Kentucky with two players whose attitudes will most certianly be scrutinized, I predict a loss to open things up.

Florida is Florida, we have a mental hurdle when it comes to beating them, so there's another loss regardless of how horrible a coach Muschamp is.

Georgia will be better than they were this year, so there's a loss. Mississippi State isn't a pushover, we go on the road, Dooley has won ONE SEC road game, so there's a loss. Add South Carolina to the SEC Road game skid, then add in Lattimore who didn't play against us this year.

Bama's going to destroy us, again. Missouri has a pretty damn good QB, and given our inability to stop the run, I'm chalking that up as a loss.

Vanderbilt is on the road, and they will be motivated to beat us after the locker room celebration video and the way the game ended (though it proved two wrongs do indeed make a right), and they're recruiting well enough to keep up with us (better than us in state), so that'll be another loss.

I'm a realist, unlike some I'm not going to be optimisitic luck will hand us one or two more wins. Dooley's track record speaks for itself, against teams on the road and teams with winning records. I think after Bray and Hunter's antics, he's lost the respect of his players, and I don't think there's anything he can do to get it back.

Artistspot writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

10-2. Derek Dooley is the right man for the job. You'll be climbing all over each other to get back on the bandwagon. And it'll be fun to see how many of you willchange your names here and on all the comment boards.

Legion of the Miserable, be damned.

Boy those words are gonna taste really bad once 2012 ends ........ yuck! Not with this coaching staff my friend!

Moesart writes:

"Someone please inform me as to why a 4-8 record is somehow better than firing a coach after two years when he is clearly in over his head?"

Someone has to have it explained to them why you shouldn't have the third coaching change in four years.

TeeBall writes:

in response to ORNGFACTOR:

Its good to see we are not playing LSU. However, here is UGA's schedule. http://www.sicemdawgs.com/football/sc...

What a weak schedule and they avoid LSU again! Unbelievable.

It is unbelievable and did you notice how the SEC obliged Georgia by moving the South Carolina game later in the season. They've been complaining about playing a tough SEC game as their second game for years. Yet, the fricken SEC didn't do a thing about moving our Florida game to later in the season nor moving either the Vandy or Kentucky games earlier. Tennessee is now truly the red headed step child of the SEC.

Artistspot writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

Your comments are right on and very realistic. Dooley and this coaching staff DO NOT have the players respect or focus and they dont have the coaching talent to get the job done! PERIOD ! 4-8

CroKev writes:

Pardon my ‘orange-filtered glasses’ but I see us finishing 9-3 as follows:
(W) NC State
(W) Georgia State
(W) Florida
(W) Akron
(L) at Georgia
(W) at Mississippi State
(L) Alabama
(L) at South Carolina
(W) Troy
(W) Missouri
(W) at Vanderbilt
(W) Kentucky

NC State has to reload and we don’t. UF will finally play a tough team the week before us (A&M in Texas) and we have them at home in Neyland. UGA is loaded and will be at home. We have a bye week before Miss. State but that one could go either way and we’ll be on the road. USCe will have Lattimore back and we have to go there. We have Missouri at home after they’ve had a full season of SEC competition.

I really believe the real UT this season was the team that beat up Cincinnati. That team could have beaten anyone on our schedule except for maybe 3 teams. But after you lose your 3 best players on a young and thin defense and your best 2 players on a likewise young and thin offense, what can you possibly expect? Anyway, UT will have much better depth next year and will be a good (not a great) team. The difference between those 2 standards is often just turnovers and big ST play.

One of the biggest differences next year will also be that we will be IN every game we play as opposed to this year. Please feel free to attack me now…

TeeBall writes:

in response to SEC1:

wolfpack=l
ga st=w
gators=l
arkon=w
ga=l
miss state=l
bama=l
sc=l
troy=w
mizz=l
vandy=l
kentucky=w

Agree ... except I do give the Vols a shot against Vandy to finish 5-7. Then and only then, Dooley is fired and a qualified coach is hired. Sadly, that means we will be have to wait another 21 months before we will have any realistic expectation of winning again.

MemphisHog writes:

in response to tennrich1:

That would be the same Forbes list that ranks Arkansas as the #8 most valuable college football program this year, for whatever that's worth...

NashvillePreds writes:

in response to SEC1:

same could be said about dereck dooley who still has yet to beat a top 50 program....maybe cincy.... manages to get beat by kentucky while vandy plays in a bowl game yet still tn fans hope for 9 wins in 2012...lol..

Obviously reading comprehension is not a talent of yours.
Please let me know where I called for a nine win season.

DenverVol writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

Alright dude, you've made your point...we're gonna win 3 or 4, Dooley will be fired and the program will drop deeper into the gutter. We get it. Be sure to come back next December and we'll see how good at predicting the future you are.

GBO1204 writes:

in response to Moesart:

I agree. the worst thing to do to a rebuilding team is to change its coach.

HtownVol writes:

No prediction for wins..

Anything less than 8 wins and Dooley better be gone.

7-5 is not good enough.

This will be the 4th straight top 15 recruiting class. I dont care how those recruits pan out.

If UT goes 7-5 and plays in a "peach/chicken Bowl" Please do not say Dooley needs another chance.
GO VOLS

FWBVol writes:

What a lot of people are missing here is we actually play Alabama on the third Saturday in October. The tradition is back to where it should be.

I don't know if we will beat Missouri or not, but I think we will. I do know that should be an easier game than Arkansas.

I still think Derek Dooley will get the job done, but in reality the team has to do more than show up for a half in big games in 2012. I won't put a number on wins for him to keep his job, but I would say we can't win fewer than seven games and we have to be competitive in the rest of the games for Dooley to be around in 2013.

The fact is if we were doing well that guys like westknox and others would find something else to complain about.

No coach can please everybody and some people just can't be pleased.

NashvillePreds writes:

in response to superVOLman:

I'm making a list of all the Yahoos who are writing the season off before it even starts so I can verify who actually mans up and admits they were wrong when/if we actually have a good season and CDD is getting the praise he would then deserve...what can I say? I have to keep busy during the offseason

Please make sure to put me on the list.

GBO1204 writes:

9 and 3 at best. 5 and 7 at worst.

antonio14313 writes:

excellent!!! stay in school, execute good ball, play hard, stay healthy, and we should have a good year! go vols.

t

SummittsCourt writes:

A lot of pitiful "fans" on this board today. You losers saying 6-6 or worse should just go away and stop the whining. BTW, don't show up here at all when the winning starts next year. You don't deserve to be here enjoying the glow of a winning season.

I'm not saying UT will win the East or the SEC championship, but a competitive 8-4 is definately a real possibility next season barring a major injury bug hitting the team again.

As far as losing to Vandy next season - don't count on that. they are a senior laden team that UT still beat this season. SC lost it's D-Coordinator and some other coaches and Spurrier is winding it down on his career.

Missouri looked good the other night against NC, but that was an unmotivated NC team that was losing it's coaching staff and most of it's better players.

At Georgia and Alabama are the teams only sure losses next season.

A healthy UT would have beaten GA, FU, SC this season. The UK game was inexcusable, but should have been a win too.

UT will have it's offensive Mojo working next season and the defense will be loaded as well.

Once again, you crybaby critics out there need to get a grip and get on board while you can otherwise you lose the right to when the winning starts next season.

CroKev writes:

Wow, I just looked at UGA's schedule and they will probably go undefeated in the regular season before getting beat again by 40 points to the Bama/LSU winner in the SEC championship game. Even then, they will probably get a BCS invite.

flatrock writes:

in response to mbible1utk#324980:

honestly, if they will get their act together, anything from 8-4 to 11-1 would be very possible. 12-0 is too hard to imagine, though our toughest game will be at home against Alabama. I think making Jim Chaney the QB coach was a smart call, he didn't have any business coaching RB's. When he was at Purdue, he did great work with Drew Brees and Kyle Orton, but those teams practically never ran the ball. There was no point in making him RB coach! I don't really think I'm high on Darin Hinshaw as WR coach... I wouldn't be upset if someone hired him away so we could get someone new in his place. But I think if everyone will stay healthy, and the offensive line will grow as a unit, we'll have a good run next year regardless. The tools are there for it to happen.

Darin Hinshaw is a fine coach and an outstanding recruiter; I am a CDD fan, but 8-4 is a stretch and 11-1 is laughable; the "tools" are good, but not great, and include a very thin senior class...Vols won't make significant progress until there is competition at every position- and that is 2-3 years down the road.

volpreacher writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

Wins: Georgia State, Akron, Troy, Kentucky

Wins: Georgia State, Akron, Troy, Kentucky, NC State, Florida, Mississippi State, Missouri, Vanderbilt.
Losses: Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina
At worst! Maybe even victories over Georgia or South Carolina or both.
If you don't want to support the Vols, then get lost. We don't need you!!!!!

tennvolsman19651965 writes:

in response to orangeman1:

In my eyes, there are 6 "should wins" The 4 OOC and Vandy and Ky. Then there is 2 "should lose" Bama and Georgia. and 4 "swing games" that UT has a shot at winning. Florida, Missouri,Miss st, and S Carolina. If UT just wins 2 of the swing games they should be 8-4. You ask what about our 5-7 gives us hope? I'll tell you. First, UT returns the entire offense from last year with a more mature experienced offensive line and hopefully Bray and Hunter wont both get injured. Second, UT's young defense was decent last year and they will only be better with more depth and experience. Third, we now have a great RB coach. Fourth we only play 3 top 25 teams in 2012 as opposed to 6 in 2011. I personally think this team will look more like the one that beat #24 Cincinatti then the one that layed an egg against KY. 8-4 is very possible next year.

We are only playing 3 top twenty five teams, as the polls stand now. For all we know, Mizzou, Georgia, Miss State, SC, and Bama could all be ranked when we play them. Any of the SEC teams that we play could be ranked next year.

springtx_vol writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

Wins: Georgia State, Akron, Troy, Kentucky

Why don't you just start cheering for Vandy?

If you look back over my posts for last year, I thought 8-4 was possible, 7-5 more likely. I am sorry that I could not predict Bray and Hunter going down. Do you really think that we lose to Kentucky with both of them full strength? Maybe we beat Florida and South Carolina and maybe even Georgia with both of them, who knows.

On paper next season with everyone healthy and without losing top players again, we should have:

Sure wins (6): Georgia State, Akron, Troy, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State.

Probably wins (2):NC State, Florida.

Winnable (3):Missouri, South Carolina, Georgia

Will need help (1): Alabama

So I see anything from 8-4 to 10-2. Anything less than 8-4 without injuries will be disappointing.

Florida is going to be horrible offensively next year unless they can pull a rabbit out of the hat. No Brantley, Demps, Rainey. No talent at wide receiver unless they can get a productive freshman. No offensive line, maybe 2 or 3 freshman starters and we know how that works. If Dooley can't beat Florida next year, I will start saying he needs to go. We will be more talented than they are next year.

Vol86 writes:

It was were I counldn't stand the articles and would just read the message board, now i barely can stomic all these idiots posting.

knoxchatter writes:

UT's 'HOME REPAIR LIST' :

-Rushing
-O line
-Kicking
-Punting
-Special teams in general
-Snapping the ball
-Tackling
-Time management
-Teamwork and team morale
-Playing a full 60 min. (including second half)
-Coaching

(W) Troy
(W) Missouri
(W) at Vanderbilt
(W) Kentucky

Good stuff.

RaineyVol writes:

everyone is freking out saying we are going to be terrible.... we had so many injuries last year.. if Justin Hunter had no ACL tear we rip through Florida, beat Gerorgia, beat South Carolina... ya'll are wanting to kill Dooley after his first real season. Houston Nuts first year at Arkansas... 5-7.. just sayin.. to quick to judge.

antonio14313 writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

Legion of the Miserable, be damned.

i like, i like! i was going to say 8-4, but i haven't had the chance to REALLY study each team on the schedule. i like 10-2 way better than my preliminary 8-4! i'm on the bandwagon until the wheels fall off! go vols.

t

Vol43 writes:

in response to SEC1:

Hey mouth of the south. What was the gay_tor record this year? Was it 6-6? Six and six? Now that's funny. You're on our site trashing the VOLS and your pitiful gay_tors are........6 AND 6 fool!

DavidB writes:

Some of you on here crack me up. To you the season is over before it even begins. You already have who we are going to lose to. While your at it why not shoot us the numbers to pick 6 and power ball.

I promise I can give you the exact record we will end up but you will have to wait until the final clock expires in the final bowl game. That is when you will truly know what our record is, none of this guessing about it will actually tell you anything.

As for me, I will check in to see who has committed and then on National Signing Day I will look to see who all actually signed. I will then look forward to seeing those players on the field at some point in their career.

Dont get me wrong, I would much rather see the vols at 14-0 than 5-7 but either way I am a Vol fan. Either way I have season tickets and I will be at the games yelling for my vols to win.

MichaelC writes:

Looks like 4 or 5 wins at most. We finish paying Fulmer in 2012 and will owe Dooley until 2015 on his buyout. Hate to be so down on UT but what you see is reality. I hope I am wrong and they win 9 or 10 games. But I am not holding my breath on that. Thanks for the big buyout Hamilton. It would be different if it was necessary to get a proven coach. But one that had never been in charge of a major program. Hopefully this bad chapter in UT Football history is about to turn. Once UT gets through all of Hamilton's mistakes. All I can say is go Vols. I will watch and hope for the best.

IdahoVol writes:

I am glad to see the Bama game is the Third Saturday in October this year, and hope the conference will let us get back to that tradition EVERY YEAR.

As for those expecting a losing season and a Dooley firing, all I can say is unbelievable. Everyone seemed to understand the situation he walked into two years ago. This year would have been much different with Janzen, Lathers, Hunter, and Bray for a full year. We didn't have them, and Dooley had to live with that. All but Janzen should be here this year, plus a lot of experience for a still very young team. (Not using youth as an excuse - I am actually pointing out that it puts us in line for some very good years to come.) Let the season play out, then give your comments for 2012. I for one am looking for 9 wins minimum.

volpreacher writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

Florida won't be any better, if we stay healthy, we will. Yes Lattimore was hurt when we played SC, but we had Bray, Hunter, and several others hurt that game. Vanderbilt, lost to us this year with a qb at 70%, Hunter out among others and a depressed team. That locker room deal ought to last, uggggggh, 5 minutes into the game. Not sure you remember, Dinardo tried that stuff and had Vandy trying to fight UT during warmups. I believe the score was 50-0 or 63-0 can't remember, UT favor. Vandy outrecruiting UT. LOL Yes they got a couple of good commits, but they won't finish in top 25 recruiting even though they are higher right now at 22 I think, but UT will more than likely finish in top 15 maybe top 10. You are so blinded because you don't like Dooley. Dooley is here to stay. Get over it.

kptarmyvol16 writes:

I dont understand why people on here are already saying that UT is going to be terrible. 2011 is not even over yet. Have some faith people goodness! Next years schedule is a little better than 2011 so i just dont see us going 4-8 like a lot of people are predicting.

A_Voice_ofReason writes:

"The Bulldogs will join Alabama (Oct. 20) as UT's only two SEC West foes on the schedule."

Um, did I miss something....last I checked Georgia wasn't moving to the West. Nice job again KNS...you prove once again why you are the elite Vols website on the net.

Unbelievable.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to frblalack:

All Vols - All the Time - Vol for Life!

frblalack and true Vol fans,

Thank you sir. Here's the deal:

We have 3 varieties of people posting.

1. The ever present trolls who want the Vols
to lose every game.

2. The whiny'naysayers claiming to be Vol fans
who want the staff fired every other day.
This is the reason they want us to lose
certain games.

3. Then, there are the real Vol fans like you
and most of the rest of us. We don't want
losing but will give them a chance and some
opportunity to turn it around, and we will
not be here with the 2-10, 3-9, 4-8, 5-7
rambling from now until next September.

No one can make any difference here but some think they can.

Go Vols !

CarlChilders writes:

The losers and defeatists have undoubtably been licking their chops for days waiting to pounce on this article.

tennvolsman19651965 writes:

in response to A_Voice_ofReason:

Unbelievable.

Mississippi State are also the Bulldogs, my friend. And they are in the west.

tensie2004 writes:

in response to ROCKYTOPBRAD:

sounds like 6 and 6 to me.

Then Coach Dooley and about half of his staff needs to be shown the door after the season. As far as Iam concerned 7 wins is the min. for him to keep his job, hopeful 8. Go Big Orange.

sunglaspro#374094 writes:

in response to rockytopvol:

If we can't win 8 to 10 with that schedule somebody will get fired

Hmm, you see that schedule as easy 8-10 wins ?
Granted it doesn't appear as difficult as this years,it looks to me we replaced 2 sure losses with 2 toss ups.
I see:

Alabama
South Carolina

TOSS UPS:
NC State
Florida
Missouri

Miss St and Vandy lose a lot of players and Georgia and South Carolina have almost all back.
Florida is not really any better than us, but until we start beating them regularly you have to consider it a toss up at best.
Missou and NC State are coming off bowl wins so again toss up best case.

TeeBall writes:

in response to 10seVol85:

Nope ... you're the idiot.

Anybody who predicts future wins based upon past history is an idiot (see Kentucky 2011). UT lost to SC at home, at night, even though Lattimore was injured and a they played their 2nd string QB. "Georgia only beat 2 teams with winning records" ... what this has to do with UT baffles me ... btw Tennessee also only beat 2 teams with winning records and one was Division FCS and the other was in the Little East. "Mizzou loses half of their starters" ... they won 7 games and return more starting seniors than UT. "Even Bama is going to lose a lot of starters" ... really, do you think that gives UT any kind of chance to win? I suspect that Bama's two deep could whip UT at this point.

You predict wins over Ga State, Akron, Troy, SC, MO, Vandy and UK and 2 more remaining games ("hopefully" Florida and Bama) which means you are predicting 9 wins. Logic tells me that UT will win Ga State, Akron and Troy and "hopefully" UK and Vandy and that's about all. You are just another idiot UT Polyyanna who prefers to live in this little made up world in their head and choose to ignore reality. Haven't the past 3 years made any impression on you? As an exercise in reality you may want to re-read the thousands of posts in BB's from preseason LAST YEAR and the YEAR BEFORE that spouted the same optimistic expectations as yours. 7 wins, 8 wins, 9 wins, 10 wins and even the perfect season. How did those projections turn out for ya?

Why folks like you and others on here call others idiots (and yes I called you an "idiot" to make my point) for not sharing your pollyanna attitudes is beyond me. I, unlike many on here, actually graduated from UT and love the school and it's athletic teams but I do have a functioning brain that is capable of seeing the good, bad and ugly and unfortunately it tells me that UT has made a unqualified hire in Coach Dooley and UT fans will suffer along with him as he grows into the job or until he is terminated.

That said ... I truly hope my prognostications are wrong the CDD turns out to the next "Saban" and he gets Tennessee back to the glory days. BUT, until I've seen evidence of that I will remain cautious and not raise my expectations to unachievable levels. Go Vols !!!

Vol43 writes:

Here's a short list of naysayers/trolls on this thread. Congratulations on making the list:

westknoxrepub

memphishog

southland

the chickens have come home to roost

nashvillepreds (he asked to be on it, cool)

sec1 (of course. his team went 6-6)

seven T

artistspot

teeball

Expect some of them to change names next year.

tennvolsman19651965 writes:

in response to Vol43:

westknoxrepub

memphishog

southland

the chickens have come home to roost

nashvillepreds (he asked to be on it, cool)

sec1 (of course. his team went 6-6)

seven T

artistspot

teeball

Expect some of them to change names next year.

Dude, you have too much time on your hands. Just dont let the trolls get to you.

Vol43 writes:

in response to tennvolsman19651965:

I know. Still on vacation. Going to the golf course...

papavol writes:

in response to westknoxrepub:

Wins: Georgia State, Akron, Troy, Kentucky

Because scrubs like you have no clue what they're talking about. Ignorance is bliss.... GO VOLS!