CincyOhVol writes:

From the beginning of the year until now you can see vast improvement. We'll see more of it in another month. Coach Martin is working these guys and by next year we'll be a top 25 team.

Go Vols!

UKblue02 writes:

I am just glad to see a game where there was no tongue waggin, posturing, and the bicep pose, from either side, good game vols your team played hard and Stokes will make a difference in a short time, See you lexington.

oldster writes:

I was just thinking after looking at the general theme of the posts here that Coach Dooley would be well to read them and learn about the Vol fans. Losing to good or great teams with the Vols giving great effort does not draw the ire and disgust losing to a pitiful team with a pitiful effort does. Is that not something that he should know?

underthehill writes:

in response to UKblue02:

Kentucky has thousands of fans with a high knowledge and appreciation of the game. I feel sure they see and know what is going on at TN and look forward to seeing some great future games..and they will. Stokes does not have the option of going to the NBA next year. Martin is doing a great job teaching rebounding and defense. Martin's NBA background and coaching talent will draw others like Stokes.. I think TN will be at the top of the SEC next year with Ky and FLa..we'll see..I join you in being glad there was no tongue waggin, posturing, and the bicep pose from either side..our guy who beat his chest after a dunk while the other team was shooting a lay up on the other end is not back this year.

75VOLinga writes:

Tennessee’s had some bad loses this season but they’ve had some almost wins against ranked teams. One thing to consider is this team is made up of players that Pearl didn’t play much, if any. Maybe Martin is the right coach with this group. Once Stokes gets his legs back I actually think they will win some of these games they are just losing. More importantly, maybe some high school players that wouldn’t otherwise consider Tennessee might take a second look at them now. Like someone else commented, this team would have been interesting with Harris and Stokes.

volpreacher writes:

in response to VolFaninDC:

Well, I understand the frustration. We've not had a whole lot of wins to cheer about lately, just promises that at some point in the future, we will. Yeah, we beat Florida, but other than that, bball still has a ways to go to win consistently (remember, we lost to Austin Peay not too long ago), and football seems years away.

basketball is going to be fine, football is in an upswing. Yes last year didn't pan out, but take away the devastating injuries to key players, Ut wins at least 8 games. With the new coaching additions, the new recruits and added experience, look for UT to win the East next year. Go Vols!

westknoxrepub writes:

Well, Stokes is a beast, we all knew that, but we don't have a point guard, and we're not getting any help next year. I don't see Stokes staying past next year, and I don't think we've surrounded him with enough of a supporting cast to make enough of an impact.

volpreacher writes:

in response to Volencheaters:

I like all the Uk cheater comments. Who's on probation again? Uk has the broom out. Football. Women's basketball. Now men's.

If you think UK or anybody can sweep the Lady Vols, you need mental help asap. And football returns to the same beatings next year. Nice try though.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to Orange_Pants_Buy_One_Get_One_Free:

Stokes may be gone next year. Hold that top 25 thought. You're still ut. Cellar dwellers.

Dont like getting involved with this stuff but at least have a idea of what you're talking about...NBA rules won't allow him to leave...

TennesseeTerry writes:

Who else thinks if Stokes had a few more minutes, we would have won? This kid is gonna be good!

Orangejellybean writes:

Hustling pretty, but no cigar.

underthehill writes:

in response to tennrich1:

I think you are right..but from what little we saw today he would be a high pick if he could..

ProwlinAndGrowlinSmokeyDog writes:

Two things:
1)I thought that we were supposed to get "blown out" in this game...We played well under the circumstances because UK is just an excellent team.
2)Stokes is "as good as advertised"..He is the total package and makes everyone around him better.

Smokey says he thinks CCM has this team headed in the right direction because they will start winning these games eventually...

jt45 writes:

UK is 7 deep with some of the best talent in the country and yet our vols almost pulled off the upset with a new coach and so so talent, meanwhile here come the usual trolls and their Good buddy UK trolls to post nonsense. Your future as a troll on this site is fading fast,
Enjoy your troll year, the end is near for you.

mytrifecta writes:

in response to Katphan29:

Great moral victory Tennessee. Your team played tough.

I assume you're a cats fan...with the talent you have you should have won by 30. While this was a "moral victory" for us it was much more than that. To me, Martin showed he's not going to back down in big games. He stuck to his game plan and nearly beat a team that I have no doubt will be in the final 4 this year. Great game and the coaches and players should feel good about what they accomplished.

Volencheaters writes:

in response to volpreacher:

Please keep Dooley around. Thx

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

We won't be sour grapes here to U K. They have the talent and were supposed to blow us out.

IMO, after a very tough and physical game Thurs night with Miss St, 2 days rest, playing Stokes who has had 4 days practice with the team, I think we did pretty well.

At the 5 minute mark, again IMO, 2 down town 3's that clanked off from what seemed like 30 feet, this I felt was the turning point, also lost possessions cost the Vols big time along with missed shots close in and several missed free throws didn't help.

Vols are showing what's to be good in days to come.

One thing we know for sure, noone is going to push Stokes around and he'll only get better. Just as in the girl's game, turnovers are killers.

Tough game from both teams.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to underthehill:

Oh I agree...he has the body and angling that the NBA loves, already....no doubts...but I believe he will have to stay the remaining of this year and next because of the 12 month rule with your high school graduating class...The best thing is his character....he never batted an eye with Cal did what he did and got the technical...guess that's what I liked most about him...SOLID KID!!!! with maybe 2 more inches to grow....

VolGrad writes:

Stokes will be starting by the time UConn rolls in here next weekend. Too much inconsistency by the other guys, especially Woolridge. When he's on, he's pretty good; he's just not "on" enough. Of course, Kentucky may have had something to do with that today.

GBO!

jt45 writes:

in response to Volencheaters:

That one made me laugh, I hope you have the nerve to post here in Feb after the LV play UK.

You better start passing out that basket now cause its gonna cost alot more to buy the refs than it did the last game.

Lady vols by 20 or more next time they meet.

Go play with your broom some more, it suits you well.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to Samuel_L_Jackson_dares_you_to_say_what_again:

givehim6 writes:

in response to volpreacher:

explain please???? I mean we beat a top 15 team Florida, lose by 4 to a top 20 team Miss. St on the road, and lose to a top 5 team by 3 Kentucky and doing it with a new coach and basically whole new team.

You tell 'm preacher. Start of the year I was not a CCM fan but I am warmming up to the guy. Vols are looking good in SEC play.

BlueManToo writes:

in response to Colliervol:

Good effort by the Vols. Too many mistakes down the stretch to overcome against a team with that type of talent. (Note that I said TALENT and not coaching.) Looked to me like we ran out of gas coming off that game on Thursday night. Announcers said the team got home at 2 am yesterday morning so I suspect they got leg weary toward the end.

One fact to take away from the game. Jarnell Stokes is a stud. Book that. When he gets some experience and more stamina, look out. He made Terrence Jones look like the freshman after only four practices.

And by the way, how do Kentucky fans keep track of the players from year to year? They are in and out of school so fast, they must have the names velcroed to the jerseys for easy removal. (Is that Michael Walls or John Kidd-Gilchrist? I'm confused.) Allowing the one-and-done is still the biggest joke in colleges sports and Cal is the master of it. And yes, I say that about Tobias Harris and any of ours that do it.

There was one intelligent comment in this post. CV admitted he is confused!! LOL. It is always a interesting when all of the national sports media talk about what a great coach Cal is, and how remarkable what he has done with new, young talent (in his grand total of 2 yrs at KY), while at the same time we have Colliervol-Orange-coonskin-cap-wearing-posterman who informs the world that Cal cannot coach. Like your Mama always taught you--consider the source! I guess all you have to do is sign the talent and roll the ball out on the floor. If you think Cal is not a good coach, what do you think about Roy Williams? Two yrs ago he had 8 MdD AA's on his team and went to the NIT. I guess coaching doesn't matter.
And don't worry about the Cat fans. We have no trouble keeping up with the roster. We have been hearing their names for years. I would think the Vol fans would have more problems remembering the 1-2-3 star players on their roster.
As far as the one-and-dones, Cal has lobbied for NBA rules to force a 2 yr commitment from players. You cannot make anyone believe that you would not want those 5stars on your team.
Admit it CV, you just simply hate Cal. As Dicky Vitale so accurately said, "There are only two reasons people hate Calipari--envy and jealousy"!

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to eb502us#225637:

Good effort and glad to see Stokes is the real deal.

One thing I still can't understand is how Martin can continue to play Tatum major minutes.

Yeah I know he hit a few 3's but how many times can he drive the lane and either get his shot blocked or turn it over. It's the same thing every game. He and his younger twin brother, Jordan McRae need to ride the pine for this team to move forward. Perhaps Stokes playing major minutes will force a well needed change to our rotation.

I was feeling like you about Tatum after the MSU game. So today I watched him with and without the ball. He was giving great effort on both sides of the ball. His shot just isn't falling. He is trying to be aggressive. He was overmatched by better opponents today. If his shot starts falling, I think he'll be fine.

Jordan, on the other hand, just looked completely overmatched out there. He was giving great effort, but he is too lightly built to play the kind of defense Martin wants. And he isn't a good outside shooter. His game was a fit for Pearl's style, not CCM's. With all the other shooting guard/wing players Martin is recruiting, I don't see a big future for him on this club.

underthehill writes:

in response to oldster:

I agree. As a basketball player, Swiperboy is a great rapper. Points guards are hard to find and even harder to build. Look at the Lady Vols search and attempts to build one. They have finally found one and, if the twos and threes play up to their potential, she will take them to the heights. Golden must be built into a point. He was not born to the position, nor was he sufficiently trained to the position before he got here. Considering that, he does a wonderful job. I am not sure he will ever make it, but he is the best option we have at the moment. Moreover, he, like all the team under Martin, seem to be busting tail. GBO!

Oldster you summed it up..Golden is the best option at this point..I do think help is on the way for next year and we will see Golden lighting it up with 3's from the shooting guard position..and all players are beginning to understand what Martin means when he says defense and rebounding wins games..

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to TennesseeTerry:

We can "shouda, coulda, woulda" all day long...personally, I think CCM managed Stoke's mintues well. No need to overdo it on his playing time; clearly CCM wanted him to ease his way into his role on the team. Great first game in what will be many more for Stokes.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to BlueManToo:

You were SCARED TO DEATH and you know it....I just cant understand with ALL that talent why Cal cant do more....but I must say the respect I've had for the Cats is diminishing with every post i read...

Theo writes:

in response to BlueManToo:

Your coach has had to vacate wins at every school he has been at. Think uk will be different? Keep dreaming and learn how to spell VACATE.

Volencheaters writes:

in response to jt45:

Lady vols by 20 or more next time they meet.

Go play with your broom some more, it suits you well.

I'm laughing that you care about women's basketball that much.

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to volpreacher:

Has any other SEC team started league play with 3-top 25 teams? I don't believe so. This team will be fine.

Theo writes:

Regarding Trae Golden, yes that was a quick three he took today. At the end of the MSU game, however, it looked to me like he hit a wet spot and turned an ankle and that precipitated the turnover. Could be wrong it all happened in a split second but I wondered if anyone else saw that.

VolGrad writes:

Despite some of the comments, there were very few mistakes today defensively. You don't hold teams like Florida, MSU and Kentucky under their scoring average by making a lot of mistakes defensively. Most every guy out there played above average on that side of things. And, overall, they played pretty darn well offensively. A couple of guys struggled from time to time to score and that was obvious. But it was also obvious that Kentucky's length and size played a role in that.

One thing is certain: Stokes has lots of potential, and earned some more playing time today. And as I stated earlier, he will be starting against UConn barring some serious setback in practice or versus Georgia next Wednesday.

Go Vols! Keep grinding!! Beat the dawgs!!!

CoverOrange writes:

in response to Theo:

Yep. It was obvious to me. As far as him taking a quick three, at MSU he was the ONLY offense we had and was stroking it from the top of the key.

osbymartin75 writes:

in response to TNVolunteers57:

I just wish that coach Martin would draw up more plays to get Mcbee some open 3's. He's a set shooter, so we need to draw up some more plays to get him coming off of screens for the open 3.

GBO!!!

I agree that getting him more looks would be a good thing..but ur post is a contradiction...a set shooter is stationary in a spot...so he cant be a set shooter coming off screens. But we need his outside shooting obviously.

jt45 writes:

in response to Volencheaters:

I'm laughing that you care about women's basketball that much.

Your the one playing with brooms ! LOLLL!

CoverOrange writes:

Anybody else notice the caption of the picture with this article? Must be a cat fan working for KNS. so much for objectivity from the media.

BlueManToo writes:

in response to volpreacher:

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to jamgod:

The problem is our point guard play...and Tatum. Sure Tatum made a big three there near the end but stunk up most the game. Then when you need your point guard to drive on the basket he takes his sweet a-- time getting up the floor. I like CMArtin but untill we get a REAL point guard (we have not had one since....) we will continue too see games like this where it will be "Well, Tenn almost pulled it off." Granted KY way out talents us but if we have smarter plays from Golden and Tatum throughout the game we win this one in my opinion. OH well, here's to wishing Tatum hurries up and graduates and Martin finds a true point guard at some point. Golden just doesn't have the smarts of a true point guard or the know how of a true point guard and it really kills me watching the stupidity over and over again. But good game none-the-less. GBO!!!

Sorry, but beg to differ. There is way too much criticism of Golden on this board. He was not a pg in HS, and did not develop the passing skills needed. Like most HS kids, he also didn't develop his defense. Now he finds himself a point guard in a high D1 league. He is just a sophomore still trying to learn the position, and under his second head coach in two years. He did a good job today against a more experienced and talented opponent. He took fewer shots while trying to get the ball inside, which he accomplished. His weaknesses are obvious - passing and defense. But he is improving as he gains experience. The fact that he is playing almost 40 minutes tells you that there is no one else who can do the job half as well as him. And he is playing his guts out for us. I think our fans should stop discouraging him, start encouraging him, and see how well he improves the rest of the season.

VolGrad writes:

in response to Volencheaters:

I'm laughing that you care about women's basketball that much.

When you have a Coach Pat Summitt coaching your lady basketball team, it is difficult not to care about it.

GBO!

RDW writes:

Boy, these UK yahoos sure get mouthy when they win a FB game every 27 years.

CoverOrange writes:

If Hall, Maymon, and Woolridge had developed hands of steel in the weight room over the years they've been there, this game would have been different. How many strips and rips under the basket were there?

Volencheaters writes:

in response to jt45:

Your the one playing with brooms ! LOLLL!

You're not your podge

CoverOrange writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

The left foot slid, the ankle rolled, hand came off the ball trying to catch himself, Bost slapped it away. That is what I saw. Almost looked like he was folding himself in half.

Volencheaters writes:

in response to RDW:

Boy, these UK yahoos sure get mouthy when they win a FB game every 27 years.

It's not the fact we won. It's how it happened. WR at QB. Come on now. I'll admit that uk team sucked. Defense was decent. But offense was atrocious the entire year. Even teetering on worst in FBS. Then to win how they did is insane. No wonder Dooley hid for like 30 days.

underthehill writes:

in response to VolunteerLifer:

That is the way I see it..and I think Golden has the shooting touch to be a great shooting guard when the opportunity comes..

UKblue02 writes:

in response to underthehill:

I agree with your estimation of the Vol program, we still have some of the posers etc, but someone must have put the hammer down on them, haven't seen any of that in a while..thankfully

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

in response to Theo:

And Cal still can't X & O his way to a National title win.

huntined#565710 writes:

Don't know how anyone can say anything bad about this team TODAY. They were playing the # 2 team in the country.This coach has had a rough job taking phooey and trying to make apple butter..

CoverOrange writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEAR:

It's nice to have expendable furniture around these days. I empathize.

CoverOrange writes:

When I was a student there and attended Kentucky games at Stokely, we only sat down during timeouts. Didn't see that kind of enthusiasm in the stands from the TV view I had today.