jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to beartn#223846:

While it's better for the recruits to be told to look elsewhere when Dooley thinks the class will be full (Henderson and Cross), most other SEC teams seemed to sign more than 25 players and have to cut the extras later.

Dooley's way this year was probably more ethical, but cynically, it's probably better to get a 26th and 27th commitment to hold in his back pocket if someone flips. Any thoughts?

I would tend to agree except that I don't think it would be unethical to take 27 or 28 commits. Dooley may eventually agree that that is the only way we will get to the magic 25 number. As he himself admits, you are almost always going to lose a couple either through changing their mind or through academics. I know Miami is stretching the ethical issue, but they signed about 33.

DalTexVol writes:

in response to Clarkrm0706:

Rt, You there?

He went back to check the record books to see if Bama really does have more vacated wins than NCAA championships. I am sure he will be back shortly, but don't expect him to be decent enough to respond honestly to your very straightforward and sincere post.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to DalTexVol:

Lol, I really didn't mean any disrespect, just curious.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aRnFR... Don't get me wrong, love my wife but still.

skyhawk836 writes:

in response to born2ride:

Dooley could not carry Fulmer's jock strap.

Yea, but in all fairness, that particular jock strap had a pretty big waist size. I mean, my god, you could corral a small pony in there.

VolfanClinton writes:

in response to Vol43:

Tell you what. I'm going to delegate that job to you. You have been empowered to do as you please. Please keep us informed about your progress. Just curious---what coach(s) are you going for and when do you expect to announce Dooley's departure?

Ok here are coaches that I think we could get..all have won at inferior programs, Chris Peterson ( Boise St ) Al Golden ( Miami) Greg Schiona( new Tampa Coach)James Franklin (Vandy )..

Vol43 writes:

in response to Clarkrm0706:

Rt, You there?

I'd really like to read his honest answer and if he harrasses others besides VOL fans. Got a feeling it's just us which doesn't make sense.

murrayvol writes:

in response to born2ride:

Dooley could not carry Fulmer's jock strap.

Few could.

Vol43 writes:

in response to VolfanClinton:

So you gonna work that list in order?

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to VolfanClinton:

Even if you hate Dooley, Franklin lost to him with equally bad talent. This makes sense how?

dillpic writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

How many SEC coaching wins do you have?

FWBVol writes:

in response to VolfanClinton:

Agree completely !!!! Kiffin does more with less scholarships, seems to keep his assistant coaches and definitely knows how to win !! Need to fire Dooley and find a winner to coach Tennessee !!

Gee, and let's be realistic. There are 17.6 million people in the five county area near Los Angeles. There are an estimated 6.4 million people in the state of Tennessee. And most so-called recruiting experts say the football is better in California.

Heck, Joe the Plumber could probably fill a roster with 4 and 5 star guys if he was at USC.

Kiffin's not recruiting any offensive linemen and running some of the guys Fulmer had to play the O-line is one of the reasons we are in the mess we are in. Another reason is most of the four and five star guys Kiffin recruited in 2009 won't be playing for Tennessee in 2012. And by the way, if you pay any attention, several four and five star guys are bailing on Kiffin at USC. Maybe his act gets old after a couple of years.

I have no idea what your opinion of Johnny Majors is, but if you look at Dooley's record after two years at UT it is better than what Johnny did his first two years. And, IMO, the program wasn't in as bad of ahape when Johnny came in as it was when Dooley took over. I know there will be some that disagree, but I will simply point out that Roland James was the Eric Berry of his generation at safety and was on the team for Johnny. Jimmy Streater and Pat Ryan were QBs Johnny inherited and Robert Shaw, the center left over from Bill Battle, ended up being a first round pick by the Cowboys. And that's just a few of the guys Majors had in camp when he arrived.

Johnny was coming off a National Championship at Pitt and it was five years before Johnny had eight wins and seven years before he picked up nine wins. And he didn't win a conference championship until his ninth year.

And that was before Florida became a beast under Spurrier.

Every team in the SEC, including Alabama, LSU and Florida, goes through a down cycle. We have had them before and we will have them again.

Is Derek Dooley the man to bring us out of this down cycle? I think he could be, but I honestly don't know, and I can understand the concerns that you and other fans have about the situation.

However, I don't believe firing Dooley right now is the answer. If things don't significantly improve this season it probably is time to look in another direction, but the whole picture would have to be looked at before making that decision and that's not going to be based on an opinion poll on this site.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to UT4prez:

To folks like chatter and remember, who will you be rooting for when UT and NC St play? I don't think Dooley will turn this thing around. I agree the state of our football program sucks right now. I believe Dooley should have been let go because I see 7-5 this year and that will lead to more mediocrity. But what if I'm wrong? What if you're wrong? I don't drink the Dooley Koolaid but I do drink the orange. I'll be rooting for Dooley and UT to kick butt this year. If you are fans you will do the same. Dooley isnt going anywhere right now so get over it.

I hear what you are saying 4p but stop an think. UT started with a bang last year. A passing game was their only bag of tricks. Fact was that would have been enough for a young team to have a winning season. They faced what was one of the hardest schedules in football with very young players and no depth. Those are not first year players this year. The passing game is back and improved and we have the beginning of a pretty good running game. and a much easier schedule.
9-3 + a bowl Go Vols

VolfanClinton writes:

in response to Vol43:

So you gonna work that list in order?

To answer your question I missed...if Dooley shows improvement against SEC teams and wins 8 games give him another year to show consistency .

RashaadSalabeb writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

9-3 + a bowl Go Vols

Yep, that's the way I see it also!

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to brown-bag-vol-fan:

Yeah but Travis and Adams are probably hitting the "suggest removal" button as fast as possible. Only to be replaced with the "Adams, Travis and Born2ride video" Oh well, there went lunch. LOL

volinlm writes:

in response to volforeverandever:

You me and 2 OR 3 more can`t carry that big thing.

Now that's funny, dude.

Vol69 writes:

in response to UTKin1992:

Dooley gets more free passes from the morons around here than Obama does from the press!

Thats because his family values are so much superior to the repugnuts.

VolfanClinton writes:

in response to FWBVol:

And that was before Florida became a beast under Spurrier.

All I know is Kiffin won when he was here !! The team played hard for him.. we thrashed Georgia and South Carolina..played Alabama tough.. I know he was a scumbag for leaving and I hate that !! But you have to agree he can coach (Jonathon Crompton improvement) and win.. ( check USCs record under dire circumstances ) USC will win championship within 4 yrs..and he calmed down here we would have at least finished in top 3 nationally within 3 more years and would never ever lost to Ky !!

DalTexVol writes:

in response to VolfanClinton:

I don't see Peterson ever leaving the Northwest. Golden, Schiona--nothing there that interests me. Franklin? Are you kidding me; he's just a master of hype.

The only coach I would fire Dooley for right now is Gary Patterson and I just don't see him leaving TCU now that it is in the Big 12/new SWC or whatever it is now.

DalTexVol writes:

in response to VolfanClinton:

Why are you even talking about a guy who does not want to be here? He went on to his dream job. I do think Kiffin is a good coach X and O wise, but his arrogance, lack of PR skills and questionable ethics will catch up to him once again.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

The California kids get an extra star added just because they live on the west coast. Keffen also cheats with his buddy Orgeron. It's harder to recruit in Tennessee with all the competition. Got to be patient. We r rebuilding.

Not really the case job.
It just happens to be the weather. Kids living in the warm climates play sports outside year around and become better athletes. Just take a look at Fl, La, Miss, Tx and yes Calif. One He.. of a lot of kids play sports year around. It shows, not that the colder areas don't have big kids, they do but they just don't get as much playing time as the southern players.

volinlm writes:

in response to VolfanClinton:

Please, don't encourage Joe the Plumber.

TheCopper writes:

in response to MerlotGoVols:

Hey, MerlIdiot! Haven't seen any of your kindergarten comments in a while. I thought you had found another team to root for. I guess I should have known the rest of us couldn't be so lucky.

vol49 writes:

in response to SpongeBobOrangePantz:

Yep and his mommy is really mad at him too. He wet the bed again last night. No milk and cookies for him.

volnvette03 writes:

in response to Clarkrm0706:

A week or so ago, I posted a question to Dooley supporters that the haters asked often, yet went unanswered "What in his coaching career gives you so much confidence?" No real answer but now it is time to flip the table. The question often asked by supporters but never answered by those like you "What coach do you have in mind considering so many already turned us down". Please don't give the usual b.s. answer of "not enough money thrown at them". A program only has so much to work with and used it all. Now please answer, who is our ready and waiting saviour at hc position?

Vince Lomardi? No, Tom Landry? No wait, Gerry Faust, yeah, Jerry!!

volinlm writes:

in response to RememberWhen:

Gee, Kiffin only had 15 spots but seemed to do pretty danged well....when will the excuses stop??????

Well, for starters, Fulmer left Kiffin Eric Berry, All-American. Kiffin left Dooley NuKeese Richardson, All-Criminal.

VolfanClinton writes:

in response to DalTexVol:

I was just answering the question I was asked in post ...As far for Kiffins PR problems here I really think he spoke out to get Tennessee publicity (you know they say good or bad publicity as long as they talk about you is good) If you notice you don't here anything at USC because they are nationally known but at Tennessee that's a problem .. As far as ethics the NCAA did not find anything just the basketball team and everyone knows Alabama and Florida cheat more than Tennessee ever has !!

notorange writes:

in response to volinlm:

Best post today........+1

volforeverandever writes:

Some of you amaze me.You know all but most of you have absolutly no idea what you are talking about.What little you know you read from some trolls post and your mad because Fulmer was fired or this or that but it`s all Dooleys fault and yeah boy lets fire him.He`s been here 2 whole years and we haven`t won enough games, we haven`t won the SEC yada yada yada.Again when Coach Dooley was hired most every one knew it was going to take time to fix the mess we were in.Most said the damage was so bad it`s going to take 4 to 5 years to fix.Now after 2 years lets fire him.Now I`m not in favor of keeping him forever if he can`t get the job done but he has improved our talent. We are building depth and our players aren`t going to jail.When he was hired he was told to stabilize the program and he has done that.I do think we will be better this year and be better on both sides of the ball.I`m not going predict our record because I can`t and you can`t either,thats why we actualy play the games.I guess Dave Hart and the university agrees with me because he is still here. Some of you idiots said Dooley would be gone after the Kentucky game but he wasn`t.Was I happy about that game of course not but I still love Tennessee and will support our players and coaches whoever they are.I hated what happened to Bill Battle but it was time for him to go but while he was our coach I cheered for us to win every game.I can say the same for Johnny Majors and Phil Fulmer.Some of you want us to lose just so Coach Dooley can be fired and you can say you were right,to you I say you are not a true fan of Tennessee.If Toddy boy or Orange Pants or even Walt were coach I would be for the Big Orange all the way and would still hate it when they fired yall dumb @sses after you never won a game.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to Clarkrm0706:

Well Clark lets try this for size. Dooley is the HC not a position coach. That means he is the administrator of the organization. he has the football background, the intellectual skill, and has worked for some very good organizations and also has playing experience. Not a bad resume. What he has to do is stop being a nice guy and get the correct people backing him up, in many cases people make the mistake of trying to surround themselves with their peers and not the tougher people they might really need. So you need to give him time to grow a little yes I know that we prefer that he do that at others expense but that didn't happen.

UT4prez writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

9-3 + a bowl Go Vols

I hope you are right. A lot of our main players last year were second year to me except those LBs. I'll be there every step of the way whether we win 5, 8, or all of them. My heart will take over as the season draws close and I'll start thinking 8 or 9 wins. What can get us there is player development. It remains to be seen if this staff can do that. If they can then we will have a solid year. I'm not yet sold we are ready to win all of the swing games. I can't wait to see our offense unleashed this year. I hope Hunter is ready. Sometimes it takes a long time to recover from those things.

oldster writes:

in response to heyitsme:

I wish you would quit picking at Fulmer and Kiffin... Neither remains at UT.

Neither if the guys you mentioned were/are bad coaches, although the latter was/is a bad human being. Well, that is unless you think a coach is bad if he only has won one national champioinship and has an overall winning percentage on the plus side of 70%.

oldster writes:

in response to SevenT:

"Everything is looking up" Very true for OTHER SEC schools. They can count UT as an easy party game WIN again next season.

You mean kind of like it was in the late 50's and after Dickey had been here for a while and then, again, after he left until Majors had been here a while. In other words, the way it has been almost continuously for the past 60 years except for the 1990's and first 5 years of this millenium?

CroKev writes:

I watched the Redford movie "The Natural" a couple of nights ago and when the reporter (Duvall) is needling Roy Hobbs in the locker room, Hobbs finally asks THE QUESTION, "Did you ever play the game?" I can tell you without a doubt that many of the trolls and so-called fans on this site never played, let alone coached, the game. They're arm-chair QB's sitting in their appropriately named La-Z-Boyz taking their frustration out on the tube.

oldster writes:

in response to beartn#223846:

Obeying the letter of any law can be hard. Obeying the spirit of the law is exponentially harder.

VolsLegacy1970 writes:

in response to Clarkrm0706:

"Rocky Flop". You chose not to insult Dooley personally but the entire institution. You could have said "sing the praises of Dooley" but no, Now everyone is convinced you are a troll. I don't care if you like Dooley or not but you need to stop insulting heritage or find a new place to post.

I agree 100%...UT is has one of the best college football histories and traditions all-time. There are only a hand full of schools that can say they rival or compare to our proud tradition of overall accomplishments in football, so insulting, downing, or down playing our fight song or our school is unacceptable. If you are not willing to stand with rocky top during the tough times then you are at best, a fair-weather fan...or perhaps a troll...please leave troll(s).

oldster writes:

in response to RememberWhen:

I heard no one making excuses. Certainly Dooley did not. He gave reasons for things happening or not happening. However, I doubt that you understand the difference between a reason and an excuse.

BleednUrnge81 writes:

They just cant do enough on the hill to please the armchair quarterback union, can they?

oldster writes:

in response to RememberWhen:

the only reason everything is "looking up" is because this program is flat on it's back and sucking in life support!! Sadly though it will be another 10 months before Hart will pull the plug!! Meantime, Kirby Smart will have another top 5 defense in a program playing for it's 3rd title in 4 years!

And I will still love the Vols and hate the Tide. Round and round the toilet bowl, roll Tide roll.

VolfanClinton writes:

in response to notorange:

Best post today........+1

I remember Richardson was tossed off the team Way before Dooley was hired .. So get your facts right .. everyone was excited to get him when we got him over Fla so it's easy to say that now vs then... who knows what an 18 yr old will do ..As far as Fulmer leaving him Berry true but he also left him Crompton who Kiffin turned around !!

SportsBuzz writes:

in response to jhayes0926#638474:

Miami did not have to deal with the 25 limit, they are not in the SEC.

SportsBuzz writes:

in response to VolfanClinton:

Alot have went after Peterson, he likes where he is.

oldster writes:

in response to knoxchatter:

Good reply 'RememberWhen'...there ARE thousands of UT Fans who are disenchanted...myself included..because of years of loyalty, support, and tradition that has all but faded away. And to gloss over it and say it is anything but unstable at the moment is nothing more than wishful thinking. And for us true big orange fans who have tried to remain patient..it's getting harder and harder. The current state of the program just didn't occur in one season, but over several seasons...so how much longer can we remain 'patient' ?

I see three optional answers to your question: a) as long as it takes, b) until you get your fill and find another team for which to root, or c) until the powers that be get pushed by people like you into going through another change which, almost certainly, will cause the process of rebuilding to restart and perpetuate the problem. Look, maybe Dooley is not the answer. Goodness knows I do not like the way he treats his stars better than the rest of the players. However, UT's history of transitions should prove to those of you who even bother to look that improvement takes time. The only time when new coaches did well was when they took over great teams (Battle and Fulmer in my 60 years of following the Vols) and one of those (Battle) proved to be the worst thing to happen to UT sports outside the hiring of Mike Hamilton in history.

newportvol writes:

in response to VolfanClinton:

Crompton had a few good games at the end of his redshirt senior year.. His career at TN was still a disapointment.. HUGE disapointment.. Kiffin won 7 games his only yr with the vols.. Dooley won 6 in 2010
5 in 2011 with buying out UNC and Loosing to KY
What will 2012 hold for the Vols?

oldster writes:

in response to TeeBall:

Another stupid rule by "Slime" and his crew. I suppose, theoretically, a team could suffer many last minute defections a few consecutive years and find themselves unable to field 85 scholarship players. Because, as I understand it, next year and thereafter there will be a "hard" signing limit of 25 regardless of whether or not you signed 25 the year before or if you're under the 85 player limit. Is this correct?

It was probably the intent and certainly will be the effect of this rule to keep the rich, rich and the poor, poor. Bama has and will continue to flourish under it. The Kirven scenario will repeat over and over infinitum. This reinforces my life long belief that the SEC was designed and has continued to exist to bolster Bama football and UK basketball. If you think I am wrong, try to remember the last bad call either of those programs had in a game.

SportsBuzz writes:

in response to Clarkrm0706:

Best recruits I have seen yet.

VolsLegacy1970 writes:

in response to darbhoo:

There is a big difference in handling the situation and continuing to dissect and regurgitate your untrained opinion. Don't you and the others who are continuing to whine and degrade the Vols realize that you are dragging these young athletes down.

The Vols fan base has seen ups and downs before, but under your "expert" analysis, we must be wasting our time because you feel there is no hope. I am not buying your trash.

Go peddle your gloom, doom and finger-pointing somewhere else. Pick another team to spread your cancer to.

GO VOLS.

Amen...I agree completely. Stop all of the negativity, and give the coaches and the kids a shot to work us back to where we need to be on the field. There's no cure-all or quick-fix to our situation! I hate losing as much as any true VOLS fan does, but how in the heck is all of this overall negativity going to change anything except the hearts and mindsets of our players. If you can't support the coaches whole-heartedly then at least support the kids...they need and desserve our support.

SportsBuzz writes:

in response to VolfanClinton:

Really? NCAA wloud of really hit us if Kiffin stayed here. He was a time bomb and still is.

DalTexVol writes:

in response to Grantlands_Red_Beans_and_Rice:

Yes, we are beyond your "help." You may now go away and never come back.