SummerfieldVol writes:

in response to Theo:

Whoa there cowboy or cowgirl. There is a big difference between a selfish player and a player who knows the team expects her to be a scorer and she is trying to shoot her way out of a slump. I totally agree that the shot selection is not great and at times rushed but I hope as a shooter she doesn't think about the last one she missed, she is thinking that the next one will go in. Meighan is not a "selfish" player, I do not believe she is looking for individual glory. If you listen to her being interviewed you see everything but that. I think she is a kid who just really wants to be the scorer she is expected to be and in the middle of a sophomore slump is rushing, rushing, rushing. Glory Johnson used to have a similar pace to her game. It took until, IMO, her senior year before she let the game come to her.
Meghan will be fine and I'm sick of folks calling her selfish. Not letting the game come to her, not great judgement, trying too hard - reasonable discussion points.

All she has to do is stay in the gym and just start shooting. Practice makes perfect. You don't need coaching to improve you shooting, that comes with staying in the gym and shoot and shoot and shoot some more, then you will get your shooting eye back. She might have a vision problem , needs to have her vision checked. Her depth of field might be off. Contacts will solve that problem.

carmine writes:

in response to underthehill:

The best play I saw in the game was..Burdick was going out of bounds and had to pass the ball..a no look pass to Stricken for a layup and Stricken (not expecting the pass) fumbled it..Burdick to me is the Lady Vol version of Tobias Harris..when she is on the floor she sees things other players do not..both her own and the defense...Burdick makes up for her lack of speed with uncanny ability to anticipate...I see her as being a key to how far this team can go..

well said. I think she doesnt start cause they still stuck in that 70's thinking that she is a freshman, shouldnt start over the upperclassmen. but if they arent producing, yank 'em and put in someone who can play, period.She is the key, she has international experience, use her.

carmine writes:

in response to vettefool:

unfortunately I don't see
Candice or anyone even close to her ability on the court when this team plays. we can only hope for the best. I'm not sure why Spani is on the court so much. her lack of defense and quickness doesn't make up for her potential outside shooting, which has been lacking for most of the year. yeah I know she was injured.

I agree. It is like the coaches keep starting players they think is going to have a break out game and it never happens. In the meantime, the LV's are losing the game. Just glad they are winning.

Volinflan writes:

in response to Mike_In_Storrs_CT:

If you wanna see my angry comments about Uconn and Geno, You can see them on the Hartford Courant Uconn Husky website, my Nic on that site is just Plain Mike,, And trust me my comments are not very nice.

Mr. Mike good post ,for this site anyway.

Maybe Geno was using the Wooten technique (that's what I call it anyway.) Back when UCLA was so much better than the rest of basketball world, they always seemed to lose a game late in the season. Ole John W. would sit there on the bench with a stony face and hardly say a word the entire game. You could just see him saying "OK smart guys, think you are great? Think you know it all huh? Well just watch." Of course then they would get mad and win another national title.

My prediction of the the year. Highest attendance of the season (single game) will be UCONN and Tenn. Hope so anyway. Us Lady Basketball fanatics deserve another match up between Geno and Pat. Those rigging the tournament should allow it to happen.

Volinflan writes:

in response to ModelMaker:

I have to agree with you about Spani. I don't think she should be starting either.

I just sometimes don't understand Spani. First she's very predictable. She stands near the baseline on one side or the other. I mean she just stands there. If the ball goes to her on the left with a lot of room she puts it up. If it goes to her or the right, she does something like a "circle fake" even if she has about of eight feet clearance then jukes to her left a couple of steps and then either shoots or passes. She just doesn't seem to have confidence from the right of the court. I find myself screaming at her the whole game 1) Move!!!!! or 2) shoot the DadGame ball nobody's near you!!!!

Not to pay respect to a great ball player. She also really charges into the paint after a shot and often, since she is really a strong girl, either gets the ball or can tip it to another Lady Vol. She certainly contributes.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to Mike_In_Storrs_CT:

I don't care to troll another teams site

golfman1975 writes:

Coach Summitt news of the wierd...
Below you will see some stats. Her teams have won 16 SEC Championships and yet was only coach of the year 8 times. Her teams have won 8 National Championships but has only won coach of the year 7 times. She coached the 96-97 ten loss team to the national title...Geno won coach of the year even though he took an undefeated team to the Elite 8 and lost. Just wierd. Also, there are only 300 shopping days left until Christmas...also totally worthless information.
16-time SEC Champions (1980, 1985, 1990, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004,[7] 2007,[44] 2010, 2011)
15-time SEC Tournament Champions (1980, 1985, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1994, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2011)[7]
8-time SEC Coach of the Year (1983, 1995, 1998, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011)[45]
7-time NCAA Coach of the Year (1983, 1987, 1989, 1994, 1995, 1998, 2004)[7]
8-time NCAA Champions (1987, 1989, 1991, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2007, 2008)[7]

volfan73120#211815 writes:

in response to Mike_In_Storrs_CT:

Mike all you are doing is reconfirming you are not a nice person.

in response to Theo:

Good post. All too many of us are all too willing to ascribe any form of bad play to some sort of character fault. Almost none of us know any more about any of these girls than what we read on here or THINK we see in games. As you say, there is plenty to discuss without trying to read minds. Lots of us would seem to have enough trouble reading and writing plain English.

in response to underthehill:

Burdick needs to start and be the leader of this team..she has the highest basketball IQ and understanding of the game of any Lady Vol..she anticipates what is going to happen and gets where she needs to be ..I think this is why the TV announcers made her player of the game..

I think Burdick has a brilliant future ahead of her, but it is hard for a freshman to be a vocal leader on a team full of upperclassmen. Even as a freshman, she can still lead by example by continuing to play hard and smart.

in response to gerryblack:

Just because someone isn't happy with the quality of coaching or the lack luster play doesn't mean that they don't support the team but it does mean that they aren't water carriers such as yourself and are capable of facing reality.

But, seriously, what does all this "facing reality" really do for the team or anybody else? It takes no special insight to point out the things this team does badly, but it takes more than us posting about it to make them play better. It is, IMHO, unhealthy for any fan to care more about the games than the players and coaches do. Even to say that shows how silly such a sentiment is. It's a lot harder to put in the time and work they do than it is to criticize from our recliners. If you enjoy watching the games and pulling for "our" team, then by all means continue doing so. If it is just too painful to watch, take up another hobby for awhile. I'm sure someone will let you know if they ever have another team to play up to your exacting standards so you can follow them again. There are some unflattering names for a fan like that--"front-runner" and "bandwagon fan" come to mind.

in response to underthehill:

I saw that play and admired the hustle, but that was NOT the smartest play she could have made. It was not under UT's goal, it was under the Ole Miss goal, unless we are thinking about different plays. As the announcer said, you don't throw the ball back in bounds under the opponent's goal unless you know EXACTLY who you are passing it to. It may have hit Stricklen's hands, but Ciera was trying to SAVE the ball, not feed Shekinna for a score. As it was, the Ole Miss player came up with it and scored easily.

in response to Mike_In_Storrs_CT:

Just as I thought--you are nothing but a front-runner, not a real fan. Do you think your gals just WANTED to lose that game to hack you off? Don't they feel bad enough about letting their unbelievable streak end without insatiable "fans" like you piling on? Wasn't it just that same attitude that Geno blasted "fans" like you for just--when was it?--last year? What does it say about you that such a loss got you so bent out of shape? Only what your posts on here have said about you ever since you first slunk on here.

crossvoll writes:

in response to 1volk-nowi-tall:

Yes, not an inspired game by the standards we are accustomed to. Simmons is similar to Strickland in that they can both have long periods of not making shots and like everyone on this team they are both capable of way too many turnovers. It will be a miracle if we make it to the final four but I still love this group of seniors. We could do it but must play better in each game as we go along. Please don't find us a coach that rants and raves like the Kentucky coach or the Georgia coach. Could you read Mitchell's lips in KY's loss to Lady Vols Monday night? He used the "F" word as he was yelling at his players after an over-and-back violation. No, I'm not a prude and I know that these youngsters hear that word way too much and maybe some may even use it but to me it shows a lack of character, and a lack education. Do coaches have to stoop to the use of vulgarity to get their point across? Don't believe I've ever heard a female coach go there and have refereed both high school and college men's and women's games for many , many years. I do not want us to hire a male head coach for the lady's program. Females deserve to reap the rewards of the head coaching jobs in the female game. The women's game is of little real importance to most male admisistrators in college sports. They just suffer through it because of title 9. These young ladies, from every school, have built the women's game to what it is today and they deserve to benefit from the fruits of their work.

Excellent post and I am in absolute agreement with you. Now that women's basketball is gaining in popularity and prestige, we're seeing more interest and involvement from the male coaches. I do not want to see us hire a male coach for our women's program, these young ladies deserve to have role models and coaches who will help them mature as young women. You're right that females deserve to reap the rewards of the head coaching jobs in the female game. Very well said!

Volinflan writes:

in response to crossvoll:

It was not an excellent post. In fact it was a horrible post. In fact it was bordering on an illegal post. Next year we will be coming up to the 50th anniversary of the Equal Rights Amendment and just like that Ole Athletic Director Hart is supposed to say "I'm gonna hire this coach because it's a woman." "Kiwi-head know it nothing" just set back Title Nine another 50 years with that kind of attitude.

ModelMaker writes:

in response to Volinflan:

I'm for getting the coach that we think has the best chance to win a National Championship.

ModelMaker writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I saw the play to and I thought it was a great play by Burdick. If Stricklen and Burdick had more playing time together Stricklen would have cought the ball.

in response to Volinflan:

Get back to me on that when the first woman is hired to coach a major college men's team; false equivalence at work here. Do you really think Pat Summit, Gail Goestenkors, Muffet McGraw, or any of a half-dozen others COULDN'T coach men successfully at the highest levels of college ball? You know perfectly well that if any of them expressed an interest in such a job, they would NOT be hired, but NOBODY would EVER admit that it was because she was a woman. The REAL reason would be because the well-heeled donors behind every major program wouldn't stand for it, but since they mostly operate in the shadows, they let the AD make the public decision, if it ever comes to the point of being public, and come up with the justification, however lame it may be.

in response to ModelMaker:

Of course, it MIGHT have worked, but that is just one of those things you just shouldn't TRY because it works so seldom. I am all in favor of instinctive hustle, but SMART players and teams play the percentages. It's not that much different from calling a timeout under pressure to save a possession when you don't HAVE any timeouts. I'm not knocking Burdick, but if she just carries the ball out of bounds, Ole Miss would have had to try to score against a set defense instead of getting an uncontested layup in a tight game.

in response to johnlg00:

For that matter, get back to me when a woman is hired as a top assistant at a high-profile men's program. She could make as much money as she would as the head coach at most women's programs and it would be a sign that women are finally being taken seriously in the college basketball world.

crossvoll writes:

in response to Volinflan:

I don't think you can talk in terms of "legal" or "illegal" when people express their opinions. It's okay to want to see young women have female mentors/coaches in sports. Title 9 was supposed to benefit women in sports, so it would hardly border on "illegal" to express an opinion that women should be put in the position to coach young women.

ddt#1340890 writes:

in response to plainspeaker1:

She scored 25 points against Kentucky. Yeah, Buddy, we really need to keep her on the bench!!

Poor, poor plainspeaker1, score points by shooting all the time and demoralizing the team is everything. You must be Simmons sister.

ddt#1340890 writes:

in response to Theo:

Theo, you do not think Simmons is looking for individual glory, do you not see how she reacts anytime a camera is panned on her. What a prima donna. EVERYTHING is about Meaghan Simmons!!!!!! No recruit will be interested in UT is they have to put up with a ball hog who will NOT pass off.

ddt#1340890 writes:

in response to jt45:

How about the stats on the other players ? I bet they are not much better. I agree she is a streaky shooter but the LVs need her Offense and the energy she brings. The alternative usually ends up with turnovers an NO offense. The whole team is playing like this not just Simmons. Look at Strickland, she is a streaky shooter also, in fact Burdick seems to be the only stable shooter
the LVs have right now and she is just getting started. Massengale hasn't had her best games lately either ya know.

Pu-lease, all Simmons does is turn the ball over, take wild shots, miss layups, and pouts. Gimme a break, you bunch of old timers that do not attend games or are are afraid of criticizing anyone, especially those that deserve it so.