BufordTJustice writes:

The self serving cowardice of denying any involvement or plans to do so with the defense (has been asked after each game for the last 4 weeks).......until Troy was in rear view mirror. NOW, with the 3 WORST offenses on our schedule left, he says he's devoting 100% of his attention to the defense. What an insult to our intelligence.
Dooley's thought process for last several weeks.... Deny any involvement with historically bad defense until we get past Troy. THEN, proclaim 100% involvement from this point forward. Since the last 3 teams we face have struggled on offense all season, I'll really look like I'm a heck of a coach since our ypg and ppg allowed will decrease significantly with the aid of my coaching brilliance on that side of the ball! This will definitely buy me another year of this undeserved salary because, although they're an all-time top 10 program, these fans won't be smart enough to figure out how I just played them. I might even say that now that I've built us into an offensive powerhouse with Lane Kiffin's qb recruit, I will now devote next year to build off of this miraculous defensive turnaround I'm personally responsible for. They can NEVER fire me.... just like Momma said!! I just hope they don't realize that its November and the current recruiting class is ranked 6 spots below Vanderbilt...good for 11th in SEC. Nahhh... they don't read in Tennessee or they never would have hired me after I had a losing record in the W.A.C. with Louisiana talent. Man, life is GRAND!

Vol-TIL-I-FaLL writes:

think of the conference he came from and you can just about pick his style of coaching offense or defense and the he came from was pass happy to say the least if im not mistaking

honesthoward writes:

Whew! Not to worry folks, Dooley is going to help out with the defense now.
Giving up 50+ pts to Georgia, 40+ to Miss St, 35+ to S Carolina, and another 41 to Alabama at home wasn't enough to convince him to get involved.
Seems like a nice guy with character, and I like his SEC roots, but 6-7 win seasons shouldn't be acceptable at Tennessee. Not 3 years into it.

pcorange writes:

Looks like we're stuck with him and Sal both. I guess all the conspiracy theorists were correct. Cheek (Florida grad) and Hart (Bama grad) have Tennessee right where they want us. Another year will more than likely produce the same terrible results. Whatever. That's just the way it is, lol.

honesthoward writes:

If your job was on the line, and you were ultimately responsible for all aspects of your team's performance, wouldn't you be involved in everything from the start of the season and not 2/3 of the way through? Esp when you have a brand new, unproven guy running your defense??? If Dooley loses his job, he's got no one to blame but himself. Go Vols.

GerryOP writes:

in response to UTKin1992:

"1st most points"? What the he!! is that?

Your argument, like your grammar is lacking.

Seems pretty clear to me! Oh, sorry, you're one of the posters on here that only looks for bad news about the Vols. This dude presented good news! That's what real fans do!

Just like the records set by our offense last Saturday. Good news .... get it?

Oh, yeah, another piece of good news. No matter how bad the defense was last Saturday, and it was beyond bad, UT still won! Good news .... get it?

thevoice writes:

in response to OklaVOL:

WOW. I can't believe all this. Dooley is the HC and he wants to help his team win, and because he doesn't do it the way you think it should be done, or when, you all want him gone. Fire, Fire, Fire. Again, I will remind you "fans" that there weren't many takers when Dooley took over, so I have no idea who you think would want the job now. The offense hung 44 on GA and 35 on SC. The defense is bad, but Dooley is still fighting, which is more than I can say for a lot of posters on here. Dooley doesn't embarrass me half as much as reading what I read on these posts. SUPPORT YOUR TEAM. GBO

If Kevin Sumlin wanted the job in 2010, then I believe there would be some big names interested now.

GerryOP writes:

in response to jbc:

1 Alabama
Vols score 3rd most points, 13, against Bama of any team this season. Highest is 17 points.

5 Georgia
Vols score 1st most points, 44, against Georgia of any team this season. Second is 24 points.

6 Florida
Vols score 1st most points, 20, against Florida of any team this season. Second is 17 points.

8 South Carolina
Vols score 1st most points, 35, against South Carolina of any team this season. Second is 21 points.

21 Mississippi State
Vols score 1st most points, 31, against Mississippi State of any team this season. Second is 24 points.

Great post! Good job! Good info!

Vol-TIL-I-FaLL writes:

and the next vols head coach will be......im going with kirby smart...ala def coor...everybody jus throw one out and when it happens..you said it first

thevoice writes:

in response to honesthoward:

Wait just a minute! That actually makes sense. Not allowed here.

thevoice writes:

in response to jbc:

1 Alabama

5 Georgia

6 Florida

8 South Carolina

21 Mississippi State

Real record: 0-5
Record for some folk, including moral victories: 5-0

GerryOP writes:

in response to pcorange:

hueypilot writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

This is nothing but trying to make him self look good. He waited until we come up on the worse 3 offenses on the schedule.

"I'm coming out of the offensive room and putting all my attention on defense,"

Dooley is such a horse a##. Where was his Defensive coaching in the heart of our sec schedule. He has been being asked about how much involvement he had in the defense for the last 5 weeks.
"No no I am an offensive coach."
Does not take any responsibility for defensive coaching before Troy because he knows Troys offense is in the top 20 in the country.
But now here comes Dooley our hero to save us because we are 112th in defense. He will save us from the powerhouse offenses of
Total offense
109th Mizzu
75th Vandy
120th KY

THANKS DEREK
Where were you 5 weeks ago
if you guys do not see through this bull Shot you need help. I love my school but I would not half way mind seeing James Franklin clean this guys plow.

Majors did pretty much the same thing in 1987. Both of them trying to save their job. It worked for Johnny. Dooley? TBD.

voldoll73 writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

It's amazing how folks that are still grabbing at straws just want to acknowledge the 23 or so ranking in offense. Like they dont want to accept it's a team effort. Defenses win and lose games. It's an amazing state of our football program. I'm afraid they will give him an extension. Folks want change then all that is left is to boycott Neyland.

Prostar: how long did it take you to look up that 50 cent word in webster's? :)

pcshowtime writes:

in response to OklaVOL:

Give it up kippy brown wanted the job. Cutclife wanted the job but hamilton wanted him to keep chaney and a few others from kiffens staff. So coach cut told hamilton to go get bent. Both are good UT men.

underthehill writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Just like the records set by our offense last Saturday. Good news .... get it?

OP..it's about time you showed up to express your joy that Hart has given Dooley permission to take over the defense..UT should win out now and Dooley will continue as head coach for no telling how long..the fans will suddenly fill the stadium and all will be well..I'm rejoicing already..that's what real fans do..

VolsLegacy1970 writes:

in response to asleep#212036:

Hiring Chavis would be a mistake. Surely you remember "3rd and Chavis" and his egregious prevent defense in the closing moments of close games. If you don't replay the LSU-Bama game..... The only reason he's so successful at LSU (and in UT's glory days) is that he overwhelms you with talent. Our defensive roster right now can't overwhelm Troy, let alone an SEC schedule. That's Sunseri's biggest problem, the elephant in the room nobody wants to talk about. The 3-4 requires NFL-level athletes with experience in order to be dominant, like Bama or Georgia. Our experienced players (Wagner, Lathers, J. Smith) aren't really that talented and our talented players (Gray, Coleman, Johnson) aren't experienced enough. Thus, our 112th ranked defense. My only question is, why couldn't DD see it before he hired Sal and why couldn't Sal see it before he took the job. Answer? I think they DID know going in but weren't worried because...... I think Hart told them they would both be OK no matter what this season as long as 2013 took a big jump forward, which it probably will. I have no inside info but that's the only thing that makes sense to me. I know, a conspiracy theory but who knows? Go Vols!!!

We played a 4-3 defense most of the game against Troy...how can you say that Troy's mostly 1, 2, and 3 star atheletes on offense are better than are mostly 4 star defensive players? The same group of guys had reasonably good stats last season...28th nationally. So where does the blame for this total defensive breakdown lie? Does our defensive scheme explain the statistical differences between this year's squad and last year's squad? What about all or our defenses fundamental breakdowns? These guys are pretty much the same guys from last year's squad except for a couple of players! Even at his worst, Coach Chavis never fielded a defense this bad, because he coached them up! COACHING, COACHING, COACHING!!!

jbc writes:

NCAA Team Total Offense
15 Troy 488.67 yards per game
18 Tennessee 485.11 ypg

UT highest ranked SEC offense

UT has played against defenses ranked 2, 5, 12, 33, and 48 in the NCAA.

They will play against defenses ranked 19 (Vandy), and 22 (Missouri) in the NCAA.

VolinVirginia writes:

in response to thevoice:

........not if we fire Dooley.
If UT gets rid of Dooley after 3 years, nobody is going to come here - at least not without a HUGE contract. If Dooley could negotiate what he has, imagine what a marquis coach will extract.......

traderjoe writes:

LOL...now he's serious...forget Bama, Ga, Sc, MS, FL, because we've got KY and Vandy coming up. Dooley's rolling up his sleeves and getting down in the defensive trenches to buck up the lads in preparation for the important part of the schedule...LOL I guess you guys who are always looking for half-time adjustments can now conclude that the closest this coaching staff can come to an adjustment is in late season not on the fly during a game. CD probably has a manual or just completed an online webinar. Look out KY and Vandy..Mizzou doesn't count yet..and if we lose to them it's because we're not familiar with what they threw at us...you know, 11 players on the field, stuff like that.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

How many games did our 28th ranked defense win last year?

Florida fans are pretty happy with how their season has gone, but I'll bet they'd be a lot happier with better than the 103rd ranked offense.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to jbc:

NCAA Team Total Offense
15 Troy 488.67 yards per game
18 Tennessee 485.11 ypg

UT highest ranked SEC offense

UT has played against defenses ranked 2, 5, 12, 33, and 48 in the NCAA.

WhooHoooo! Vandy's defense ranks #19 in the country. Wait, what's that? The offenses Vandy has defended rank 23, 68, 87, 103, 112, 116, 123 and 124? Wow.

What? That #23 offense put up 567 yards and 48 points? They lost by 10 to that #68 offense? That 103rd ranked offense put up 400+ on them, and that 112th-ranked offense put up 395?

Given those numbers, I'd say Vandy's defensive ranking is pretty misleading, and our 18th-ranked offense should definitely put up well over 500 yards in Nashville.

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

Trouble is, Vandy will likely put up over 600 yards. Guys there is no honest defense of Dooley. Spin it anyway you want, he is a horrible coach. LA Tech is #20 in the nation without him. I hope you Dooley disciples get what you want and they keep him. You will deserve what you get when once again next year, you are saying: Wait till next year

BigOrangeRock writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

All great moral victories. Right?

Any time you barely lose to Miss State and a Gamecock is cause for celebration.

Orangepuddinskin writes:

in response to Jesse_VFL:

2011 - 28th ranked defense.
2012 - 112th ranked defense.

Wow, just unbelievable. Sal should not be in the booth, he should be on a bus. So, DD thinks a reason is the uptempo offense but yet he sticks with that. This uptempo keeps UT from being able to control the clock and management of the game and keeps opposing offenses on the field against our 112th ranked defense which tires them out since they are back on field so much. If he see's that as a problem then you would think he would adjust that. I for one, feel uneasy about the next two games but hope like heck the Vols can win out the rest and end with some solid improvement and confidence.

That uptempo offense doesnt seem to slow down Oregon. Then again, Oregon has coching. I guess we will see how that uptempo offense handles BAMA's smothering defense this year.

Orangepuddinskin writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

I am by no means a Dooley disciple. But I will say that La Tech is winning with 30 of Dooleys Seniors on that team. I am not saying that they would be winning with Dooley as their coach though.

As for, "wait til next year", I have adopted a new phrase. "Wait til the year after next or the next year after that"

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

LA Tech's defense is tied for 116

VOLet_parking writes:

in response to jbc:

1 Alabama

5 Georgia

6 Florida

8 South Carolina

21 Mississippi State

This isn't even factual. Bama and A&M both scored 38 against Miss St. Florida scored 44 against USCe. Stop making things up.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to voldoll73:

Prostar: how long did it take you to look up that 50 cent word in webster's? :)

I use the New Oxford on my Mac. Even then it does not help for perfect grammar. It's making my point and venting that counts for me. You pro dooley folks cant say a word now but play grammar nazi. Anyway have at it and have fun. Dooley is out of here.

calvol writes:

Can't you guys read between the lines? If it wasn't obvious before this then it ought to be now.
1. Hart hired Sal and forced the change to the 3-4.
2. Dooley implied as much when he politely stated he worked with the offense, not D.
3. Sal is moving upstairs now, meaning somebody has told Hart it didn't work and let Dooley try to finish the season doing things differently.

Sal has effectively been fired, albeit in a nice, polite way. Dooley has an uphill battle to effect some change in the D this late in the season, but let's get behind him for the last few games and see how things shake out. GBO!!

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to VolFanInTheBoro:

LA Tech's defense is tied for 116

MIGHT BE, BUT UT WITH DOOLEY WILL NEVER AGAIN SNIFF THE TOP 20

volfan1202 writes:

in response to OklaVOL:

"I will remind you "fans" that there weren't many takers when Dooley took over, so I have no idea who you think would want the job now."

There weren't many takers for the job at the amount of money Hamilton and UT were willing to offer at the time. Increase the amount and you'll be amazed at who UT could hire.

pcorange writes:

in response to Jesse_VFL:

2011 - 28th ranked defense.
2012 - 112th ranked defense.

The reality of the situation is that our defense is terrible. They cannot tackle, they cannot cover receivers, frankly they can't do much of anything right. Our only prayer is that our uptempo offense can outgun our opponents' offense on a given Saturday. Slowing our offense down will only make the beatdowns worse, in my opinion. You can't compete in big time football on offense alone. Just ask West Virginia.

underthehill writes:

in response to calvol:

1. Hart hired Sal and forced the change to the 3-4.

Evidence plus common sense = possible reasonable conclusion..question..did Hart overstep his boundaries..was Dooley placed in a position to add to the possibility he would fail..it is obvious UT could have and probably would have won more games if Thompson would have been named DC and continued what was being done last year..but Thompson went back to bama..now that Hart has been exposed..if Dooley wins out ..I don't see how they can not give him another year..if Bray stays with it the whole game like he did against S Car and Troy and don't panic or quit when pressured..UT has a chance to win out..

SummerfieldVol writes:

I can live with a struggling defense,but they are regressing from wek to week, Time for Dooley to take complete control of the defense. When you go from the 26 rated defense to 112 rated in the nation you sure are going backwards. Sal has had plenty of time to show some improvements but that has not happened. Time for a new set of eyes and game plan. Now it is in Dooley's lap to sink or swim. Just like checkers, your move Derek. I just hope we are playing the very best that we have on defense and not letting a better player sit on the bench for some unknown reason. Like we did not recruit him and I am not going to play him. Don't know just thinking outloud.

Stanman08 writes:

I have an observation from this article and Dooley's comments. First, if my job depended on how well my assistant coaches coached then being "reactionary" to poor playing and coaching is standard operating procedure for the head coach. Let’s ask Sal if Coach Sabin was “non-reactionary” with Alabama’s assistant coaches when they and their players under preformed. I would have thought Dooley would have learned better from his days under Sabin.
Sitting back and not overseeing Sal Sunseri was a huge mistake on Dooley’s part. I guess Dooley thought his offense was good enough to outscore most of their opponents but it was just too big a task to overcome for TN’s offense. Now that decision may very well cost Dooley his job. It’s sad to see, but I think Sunseri has tied the same anchor around Dooley’s ankles that he has tied around his own. It appears Dooley has just sat and watched it happen and now realizes it may be the worst decision he has ever made as a head coach.
The bottom line is when you have an average defense with average defensive coordinator you’re not gonna make very good chicken salad from that recipe. When Lane Kiffin was here and his dad Monte, was the defensive coordinator, he proved you can take average players and coach them up. Tennessee’s defense played over their heads under Monte because he knew how to coach and overcome mediocrity. If Lane had the offense then that Dooley has now they would have lit up the score board and won a lot of games.

gglardon50#417841 writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

The day after the Kentucky game fire Dooley and Sunseri. Hire John Chavis and whomever he wants on defense. Leave the offense coaches alone. We'll be competing for the east next year.

NO you wouldn't

bkgunter writes:

in response to jbc:

1 Alabama

5 Georgia

6 Florida

8 South Carolina

21 Mississippi State

Record in those games: 0-5
It's always something with this regime.

Letskeepitreal writes:

in response to Vols_fan_27:

While funny... also true... at least we would stand a chance of getting the ball without the other team scoring and keep our offense on the field... at this point, don't see how it could hurt....GBO!

While the idea is entertaining,it's not gonna happen. It would rest the defense, and if the other team is gonna score anyway, our defense may be on the field half the time (45yrds in stead of 70 to 85yrds...lol. However, I just don't think resting the defense is gonna cure the 3rd and forevers we give up. If we could just stop those 3rd and forevers we may have had a couple of more wins. Sunseri, please be honorable enough to just resign...that's not gonna happen either. Go Vols!!

pdhuff#552644 writes:

At least we make the opposing WR's tired from all that running on 3rd and 23.

underthehill writes:

in response to Stanman08:

It does not appear Dooley has just sat and watched due to his own choice..It appears to be Dooley had no choice but to sit and watch due to ..it appears Hart hired Sunseri and turned the defense over to him..now it appears Dooley has been given a choice and he is willing to take responsibility..I am not a Dooley fan..but I believe in being fair about it..if Dooley wins out..I repeat..I do not see how UT can justify not giving him another year...and if UT had the players Lane has at S Cal...they would have won more games than Lane has won in a weaker conference...Lane and his papa are laying an egg this year..they were predicted to play for the national title..

mrvol2u writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

No, lets not boycott, but rather go and support UT and the players.

Have ballot boxes at the entrance of each gate. One that says CDD goes and one that says he stays. The way to vote is to drop money in the box. Have a website set up to take online cash votes. After the season tally up the results and take the money and apply it to a new head coach or new defensive cord. whichever the vote stipulates.

No money gift, no vote. One dollar = 1 vote. Words are cheap, buyouts are not and if you want him gone then step up to the plate. If you want him to stay then pay to vote stay.

If nothing else, the rest of the SEC fans might give us 5 to 6 million in cash to keep him!

But go to the game and support the players!

GO VOLS!!

BustaRhymes writes:

Coach Doodie to the rescue? We'll, that will fix it.

Good man. Bad coach. Time for a change.

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

CDD gonna turn the D around with his deep, successful and record setting coaching abilities - Playing Missouri this week - SHOW ME!

Mr_Bandman writes:

in response to maciste54:

112th out of 120 ????? Trying to let that sink in and keep my mouth closed and my credulity intact !

In 2008, an incompetent OC led the VOLS to a similarly low ranking offensively....with a roster featuring a future NFL Pro-Bowl RB (A. Foster), a future CFL RB (L. Coker), a future NFL backup QB (J. Crompton), a future NFL WR (D. Moore), 2 future NFL TEs (L. Stocker, B. Cottam), & a future NFL OG (J. McClendon)....a competent OC might have had that UT team contending for the SEC East & a BCS Bowl...makes me wonder what a truly competent DC could do with the players on the current UT Defense....

tennrich1 writes:

The reactions seem to always be the same from many of our fan base....Like screaming 10 year olds without any logical discussion....I'm not happy with the defense either but please allow me to act like an adult....I enjoy reading some responses but when they start out with utterly ridiculous statements I dismiss and move on to the next one....Oh well!!!

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to bkgunter:

Record in those games: 0-5
It's always something with this regime.

"Amount of time that any of those games looked winnable: A few minutes against S. Carolina. That's it."

I'm not going to get into too much, but really? The Florida game didn't just look winnable, it looked won for nearly three quarters. The Georgia game looked and was winnable right up to the last minute, as were the SC game and the MSU game. The only one of those games that never looked winnable was Bama.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to BufordTJustice:

Statistically, Vandy's offense is better than Florida's and South Carolina's.

RememberWhen writes:

isn't this the same guy that just a few days ago said "I'm not a defensive guy...."???? Wow, his input should be earth shattering!

PennVol writes:

in response to RememberWhen:

He finally realized he couldn't make it any worse.