CrankE writes:

If only you could still write on the eyeblack patches:

MT 15:14

...And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch.

standfast#211788 writes:

If Troy can ring us up for 48, think what Oregon would do. Glad we don't have to play them; but wait, we do play them next year out in Eugene. Is there a mercy rule in college football?

CrankE writes:

Sunseri wouldn’t confirm that he will coach Saturday’s game from the press box, but his answers implied that the move was likely. Sunseri said he had coached from upstairs for the last seven seasons.

“I like being up there because you get better eyes up there and can see more of what’s going on,” he said.
__________

SO WHY IN THE NAME OF GENERAL NEYLAND HAVE YOU REMAINED ON THE SIDELINE INSTEAD OF TRYING THE PRESS BOX!?!?!?

9 GAMES IN AND HE'S TRYING TO BE COY ABOUT MOVING FROM THE FIELD TO THE PRESS BOX!! AS IF. THE STUPID!!! IT BURNS!!!!!

One more positive Sal, you're much less likely to get hit by objects thrown from irate fans in the booth than on the sideline. Just saying.

JDX47 writes:

in response to standfast#211788:

You have clearly missed the point of many articles recently...didn't you hear? Dooley is going to focus on the defense. It's all good!!!

thevoice writes:

in response to underthehill:

I am one of many who have the opinion Hart hired Sunseri and gave him complete authority to run the defense..that opinion was formed due to Dooley stating repeatedly he had nothing to do with the defense..have you ever known a head football coach at any level make this statement..when the question was getting enormous attention on talk shows and among fans..all of a sudden Dooley gets to take over the defense...it appears to me that Hart over stepped his boundaries if this is what happened...I agree with the TV sports show host who said we will probably never know the truth on this..
I think UT will beat Mizzu so I must think the defense is going to play better...we'll see..

Sounds like Dooley and Hart won't be exchanging Christmas cards this year.

Olddogsrule writes:

in response to gobigorange5090:

Didn't Dooley comment that he doesnt know anything about defense?

As I remember, and I can be wrong, please correct me if I am, what CDD said was that he didn't know any head coach that tried to coach both sides of the ball. They tend to stick with what they came up through the ranks doing.

So, a defensive coach that becomes a HC will let his OC handle the offense, and will be more involved with the defense. Conversely, an offensive coach (Dooley) will be more involved with the offense and expect his DC to handle the defense.

Each knows quite a bit about the opposite side of the ball from their specialty, but ... it's not their specialty. And that is totally reasonable. And it is completely understandable for CDD to not claim to be a defensive guru.

But no one can agrue that he isn't a good coach with the offense averaging 36.8 Points Scored per Game and setting an offensive record against Troy (yada yada yada .. I know -who's Troy?) Well, no other Vols coach, ever, against any other 'cupcake team' did it, did they? Ever!!? Nor is it a given that he should have turned his attention to the defense any sooner apart from the daily meetings with his DC he was already having and we have been hearing about constantly. No, the D isn't there yet. DC? Scheme? Speed? Players? all the above? I don't know except that: coaching up the fundamentals then running a simplified 3-4 scheme with 4 on the line and a nickle to stop the big play where the D-line is trying to contain the box instead of blitzing the QB hasn't worked. I don't believe that Sunseri dosen't know defense, he's been around too long in too many places. Read his resume. And when a couple of players call a defensive players only meeting and say they don't want team mates missing their assignments anymore (when was that?- 2 or 3 games ago?) I have to believe it's like so many have said, It takes a pretty good while for players to get their head around the 3-4. Now, looking at the No.1 defense in the nation, a 3-4, and knowing it took Saban a while to install it. And knowing this year's Bama D is allowing an average of 9.1 points per game, (Tennessee put up 13 on them, beaten only by Michigan & Mississippi with 14 each and LSU who put up a whopping 4 more than the Vols with 17) I'm willing to give CDD all the time he needs to work the 3-4 defense out with the existing recruiting limitations, and whatever defensive coordinator changes, assistant coaching changes, made and may still need to be made, and all, whatever he needs to do ... he'll get it done.
And I want to congratulate the team and their coaches for sticking to it and being one of the very best offensive teams this school has ever fielded!
Course all the kids in the backseat hollerin', "Are we there yet?" will never be satisfied with anything Dooley does. Most have been dragging the program down since CDD was hired ... didn't like him when he got here, and never gave him a chance. They're like a teenage girl reading Cosmo and want some Mirakel Coach with 'glamour'.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to standfast#211788:

Is it too late to replace Oregon on the schedule with Buffalo?

tnsportsman writes:

YOU BOTH STILL HERE? Question is why? Fire them ALL Hart or leave with them!

GO VOLS, ALWAYS!

JDX47 writes:

in response to Olddogsrule:

Your post has helped me to change my mind...I am now going to be a Dooley supporter. I am truly pumped that he will now be able to do for the defense what he has done for the offense!

Tennessee Vols, 2013/2014 National Champions

JDX47 writes:

The Dooley Effect:

Score: UT 84 Missou 0
Total Offense: UT 775 yds Missou -236
Turnovers: UT 0 Missou 11

VolGrad writes:

C'mon defense. Let's put together a solid game. Can't expect the offense to score every possession.

Go Vols! Beat Mizzou!!!

Ironcity writes:

in response to JDX47:

I didn't realize that Buddy Hackett was one of the 3 Stooges. Was he like one of the rotating replacements like Shemp was?

I am sorry I really like Sunseri and don't understand our fans (not the trolls) desire to make fun of our guys (Buddy Hackett, Etc). That said I do think Sunseri has proven to be a terrible coach but he seems to really care and has shown a lot of passion. I wish thats all it took.

underthehill writes:

in response to Ironcity:

Does this mean you don't think he looks like Hackett or you don't think anyone should notice..

signalcorps writes:

no matter dooley's gone at seasons end

joevol33 writes:

Whooo!! Dooley is taking over the defense! mizz will not score one single TD on the vols saturday!!! They may score 10-15, but not one single one!!

Sir_Spanky writes:

in response to baldingalum:

Does anyone know why Wilcox left? That was a lateral move at best. That's a huge question that has had massive implications on this season. Truly. Does anyone know?

Here's a picture story answer for you - Sometimes when you know there's getting ready to be a high speed trainwreck, you flee from the tracks as soon as possible so as to avoid getting hit by flying metal.

Chope writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

This is nothing but trying to make him self look good. He waited until we come up on the worse 3 offenses on the schedule.

"I'm coming out of the offensive room and putting all my attention on defense,"

Dooley is such a horse a##. Where was his Defensive coaching in the heart of our sec schedule. He has been being asked about how much involvement he had in the defense for the last 5 weeks.
"No no I am an offensive coach."
Does not take any responsibility for defensive coaching before Troy because he knows Troys offense is in the top 20 in the country.
But now here comes Dooley our hero to save us because we are 112th in defense. He will save us from the powerhouse offenses of
Total offense
109th Mizzu
75th Vandy
120th KY

THANKS DEREK
Where were you 5 weeks ago
if you guys do not see through this bull Shot you need help.

That is pretty lame to decide to get involved at this point, does seem to be trying to look better to try to keep his job. I am not a hater and I think he has tried but I agree this is b.s.

pcshowtime writes:

in response to budd#207344:

Yes it was a mistake. a mistake of huge proportions. When does it become too many of these same mistakes before we say enough. CDD let a dope smoking receiver run off a quality coach. That probably helped to convince the other assistants to leave and started the carousel that brought us this DC. Lance Thompson,who improved the performance of the D line last year is bypassed for Sensari. If it were just the record I can see saying one more year but the major bad decisions just add fuel to what is more than a brush fire now

great post

Colliervol writes:

Ever heard the term "a day late and a dollar short"?

OrangePride writes:

This Saturday is to my mind a make or break game for this staff.....in fact that would be the case for all 3 remaining games. We will see if Dooley's involvement and CSS in the booth produces any difference in results. Honestly, I can't see a big probability of real improvement this late in the season. AND, any further days like last Saturday and I hope CSS will have put luggage on his Christmas list. GO VOLS!!!

voodoo101 writes:

in response to baldingalum:

Wilcox is from Oregon - played for OR. Boise State was as far east as he had coached until TN. We can suppose all we want, but until you can plug into someone's mind we'll never know his real thought process. But without any other data than the left coast has been home to him; the most simple answer is that he moved home to a culture and environment more familiar. The funny thing is that this year everybody liked Wilcox, but last year there were plenty of negative comments about him. Just like third and Chavez.

Artistspot writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

"I'm coming out of the offensive room and putting all my attention on defense,"

"No no I am an offensive coach."
Total offense
109th Mizzu
75th Vandy
120th KY

THANKS DEREK
Where were you 5 weeks ago
if you guys do not see through this bull Shot you need help.

pcshowtime , excellent feedback .... Dooley REALLY, you think that this FAN base is so stupid that they are are going buy that...... Horribly, insulting,low class, low blow, thinking .....

voodoo101 writes:

in response to amyinsparta:

Besides who else could ever learn the Sunseri sign language in time. Of course, that might be the problem - the players haven't learned his sign language either.

iowavol writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

I think we have to be careful. People became impatient with Fulmer and the Clawfense back in 2008. The offense's performance during a season that he (and all of us) knew was going to be a struggle learning a new system, lead him to take over the offense from Clawson and simplify it. That didn't work at all, and may have even made things worse, and got him fired. Of course, one difference was that there wasn't a rebuilding going on.

I worry that we could make the same mistake on the defensive side right now, and derail the train completely. If we do, then the pain we've all felt so far will have been for nothing. Do what is needed to win the remaining games, but allow the system to set in.

Changing the defensive scheme this year may not have been the best idea, but another total scheme change isn't going to make things better.

Respect your opinion but have news for you - the train is off the freaking tracks and in the ditch. We just gave up 721 yards to Troy, T-R-O-Y.

Sunseri should have been fired. And now he says he knows the players can do better - geez Louise this guy is clueless.

VolunteerLifer writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

Where in the article does it say that Dooley wants to change Sunseri's scheme? All it says is that Dooley wants to help get the defense straightened out, which can be taken to mean that he wants to help the players to understand Sunseri's scheme or that he wants to see if he can get Sunseri to do a better job of coaching and reaching the players about his scheme. That's the way I took the article/

DavidB writes:

in response to JDX47:

Spoken like a true Commodore fan. If you set the bar low enough, we can all jump over it. Let's cheer for our SEC team with its 4 - 16 SEC record...maybe we can go 4 and forever!

Spoken like a bandwagon fan. No where in my post did I say they have done well. I didn't even mention the record. I donate a pretty good amount of money to UT and like many I'm not at all happy about this season but that does not change the fact that I'm a Vol fan.

jobrando#216494 writes:

We'll beat the chit out of Vandy. Book it

DavidB writes:

in response to underthehill:

You may be right that it was a Hart hire. Not sure if we will ever know. The one thing that bothers me about Hart is that he has yet to really come out and make any comment at all about football.

DavidB writes:

in response to JDX47:

JDX47 - member since Oct 25, 2012. 76 posts in a very few days, all negative towards the program. That's not even hard math to figure out you are no Vol Fan.

Olcrow writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

I love that picture....NYUK NYUK NYUK

I agree,that Three Stooges imitation gets giggles out of the players,but when your jobs on the line shouldn't you be a little more serious!Well,I might do the same if my buyout were 1.6 million, they'd probably catch me mooning them.

Olcrow writes:

in response to baldingalum:

I heard he left for job security,the uncertainty of the coaching staff after the loss at the end of last season,going into this season.Here's the thing,Sal got job security,why didn't they just give Wilcox Sal's buyout?

GerryOP writes:

in response to MikeNPS:

Of course Sunseri is fine. He continues to collect a big paycheck. If he worked for a private company and was performing at this level, he would have been fired quite some time ago.

Unless he has the "protection" of his boss's boss. It happens everyday everywhere.

Olcrow writes:

in response to voodoo101:

Don't forget Chaney last year and even the beginning of this year, now on track to be the all time best scoring offense of UT history.When you think about it the worst defense and best offense with average special teams play = .500

GerryOP writes:

in response to RoyaltyVol:

And if our D does well this week everyone will ask, "why wasn't Sunseri upstairs all along". I don't understand why he hasn't been upstairs since game one because most DC coach from there. IMO thats why our D plays better in the second half of games, because they look closely at offensive formations and adjust at halftime, however if your upstairs you can adjust play by play as you see everything better. Also why has it taken CDD this long to decide to help the D, goes to show his lack of leadership and why we need a new HC. Personally I'd love to see us go hard after Bob Stoops, I think he would be a keeper where Gruden would coach 3-5 years then want another job.

"Also why has it taken CDD this long to decide to help the D, goes to show his lack of leadership..."

No, Royal, it shows a great knowledge of leadership. Hart has been telling him for the last two month's "Sal will get things straightened out ... don't interfere." He did what the boss said. That's good leadership!

If you seriously think there is a chance of Gruden or Stoops coming to K'town ... give me a couple of tokes of whatever you're smokin'. Besides, we have a head coach.

bigdisbig writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

Do you REALLY think it will make any difference? Oh WOW! Dooley is going to get more involved with the defense!

This is totally laughable. Dooley is totally lost in all aspects of coaching in the SEC.

GerryOP writes:

in response to CrankE:

"He’s the boss. I think it will be good,” Sunseri said.

What else CAN he say?!?!
___

“I’m disappointed in myself because I know what (the players) have the capability of doing, I just got to get it out of them.”

We're disappointed in you too, Sal.

We also know what these kids are capable of doing. We watched it last year against a schedule that was every bit as tough as this one. We have kids on this defense that were on the All-SEC Freshman Team last year. Yet this year, they flounder with the only change being . . . . . . . . . . (wait for it) . . . . . . . .YOUR SYSTEM.

Sal, I notice that you express disappointment with yourself, then quickly change the subject from your coaching to the players performance. That's a cute trick there how it's on the players for not performing well when they are being led by "disappointing" coaching. Why...it's almost like they are playing exactly the way that they are coached...

But I'm sure that all will be well since Coach Zoolander is in the HOUSE to help on defense.

Just one more thing, Sal. If Coach Ted Stryker brings the Ceramic Orange Dog out of this defense and they turn into beasts while the offense continues performing as-is, then one of you is redundant, no?

Have a nice day.

CrankE, you and I have been around here too long (With the same danged screen names!)to argue with each other. I'll just say that is a funny post ... great comedy.

You have a nice day too...

GerryOP writes:

in response to JonGrudensAgent:

Dooley, keep the microphone and reporters away from these guys.

Please.

If he has "coached from upstairs the last seven seasons" then wtf has he been on the sidelines here???

Maybe because it was OK with Hart.

bigdisbig writes:

in response to Olddogsrule:

Seems like the horse a## is the one who made the post. The offense on track to set an all time PS/G record (currently 36.8 PS/G) this season makes a liar out of all those who accuse CDD of being a poor coach. He is an offensive coach, and obviously a really good one, considering the five ranked SEC teams we've already played and their rankings. Also, saying that a HC should jump in on the DC's efforts any sooner when it makes sense to have continued to press coaching up the offense until now is well, ... hare-brained. pctoontime is jus looking for things to make up, present them as if they are real, then refer to his own false strawman logic to make his 'point'. Not quite sane. 'Course Haters gonna hate. toontime is obviously 'animated' in his animosity ... getting as bad as that Flowers character who's got multiple screen name disorder.

You are totally delusional if you think this offense is great. Bray isn't even in the top 4 passers in the SEC and Hunter is NOT the great receiver everyone thought. Against good defenses they continually drop passes. If Bray is pressured in the least he throws the ball away or over their head.
IF you think Dooley is a really good offense coach then you probably think Petrino is a great family man too.
Dooley's offense goes 3 and out and he claps his hands and pats them on the back. Saban and Miles are in their facemasks expecting more.

Dooley is Todd Raleigh and Buzz Peterson rolled into one pathetic coach. If he makes it to next year he will go 0-3 the first 3 games and you think he is a good coach huh? What a JOKE!!! LOL

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

No where in the article does it say Dooley had to ask for permission to get more involved in the defense

GerryOP writes:

in response to PUL4VOLS:

There you all go with them negative waves man, just not helpful for the team. If the d comes out and shuts MO down(would be surprisin')you'd still find rain for the party. At least they are cooperating and making an effort to correct it. So why not see how that turns out? I'm telling you the negative waves are messin' things up. Go listen to some really cool music or somethin' man.

Yeah man, these dudes and dudettes need to mellow out. Those negative wave things are creating a commotion in their brains.

slov writes:

in response to baldingalum:

Couldn't stand the spot light. Knew it was a train.

movol77 writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

I love that picture....NYUK NYUK NYUK

That is hilarious!!

GerryOP writes:

in response to Olddogsrule:

Saw yer made up haters excuses to hate and thought I'd repost.

""Duhhh ... whyja think our DC went ta Washington (State)" ... Wilcox took that job because HE MOVED HOME!!! The Huskies HC Sarkasian fired his previous DC, looked around and offered Wilcox (born in Eugene Oregon and played football at Oregon) the job. For Wilcox, a dream job. Moreso than DC for the Vols. His college roomate Peter Sirmon, Linebackers coach, went with him. THEY BOTH MOVED HOME!!! Wilcox now works a short drive from where he grew up. It didn't have one single thing to do with his feelings about Dooley's coaching capabilities.

As far as players respecting Dooley .. That is not what it sounds like in any single interview with the players I've ever read.

Better Question; Why do you think the Dooley Haters make up stories and post them on here as if they are true?
..."

My answer- Because they lack the mental capacity to recognize truth when put in front of them over and over when they see it.

Yup Olddog, we're in the 3rd year of a 5-6 year rebuilding project but our knee-jerk-I-want-wins-now impatient fan base is on a rampage. So they critcize everything and end every post with "Fire 'em ... fire 'em all." Of course they hear that threat down at the King all the time so that's all they know.

GerryOP writes:

in response to DavidB:

assumption is the mother of all mess ups. Too many fans assume to many things. There are fans that assume Hart hired Sal, Fans that Assume Gruden is taking the job, heck there are even fans that still assume we will win the national championship next year.

It is great to cheer for your team no matter what but you have to have realistic goals. Could we possibly win the SEC east next year? Yes we could possibly win the East next year. Can we go 10 and 2 in regular season next year? Sure. Can we go 14-0 next season? Not likely.

So fans, show up at the game saturday, have your orange on and cheer for the team we have on the field right now. I dont care which player it is, the fans can get them fired up.

Yup DavidB, go out and support the Vols ... because that's what fans do

pcorange writes:

in response to Biggie:

Do you think Gruden will keep him?

Might as well quit dreaming about Gruden, Dooley is here to stay.

GerryOP writes:

in response to JDX47:

Spoken by one of our knee-jerk-I-want-wins-and-I-want-'em-now fans. For three years it has been published all over the 'net the hurdles that Dooley is working to overcome. We're in the third year of a 5-6 year rebuilding project ... but you want wins and you wnat'em now. Get real and get a life. Coach Dooley is doing exactly what he is being paid to do ... rebuild this program. Deal with it.

Vol43 writes:

What's more depressing, Obama or UT football? Uh.......Obama, yeah Obama, that's more depressing. Thanks for listening.

GerryOP writes:

in response to voodoo101:

Here is a fact voodoo. This crowd never says anything good about the Vols, but they claim to be fans. It must be something in the water.

Even if our Vols go ballistic and blow someone out of Neyland, this crowd will say that the Vols were lucky and the other team sucked.

That's our "loyal" fan base.

pcorange writes:

in response to DavidB:

I agree. He needs to come out and say something. He either needs to come out and back the coach, he needs to announce his firing, or he needs to tell the fan base that no decision will be made until after the Kentucky game. Whatever is going on, he needs to at least speak to it and calm down the rumor mill a bit. It is distracting to the coaches, players, and fans. I personally think he has already made a decision to keep him another year and may just be waiting to announce that until after he makes sure he doesn't lose out.

GerryOP writes:

in response to notfunanymore:

Another brilliant post by one of our so-called "fans!"

notfun, here's something I want you to try. No you don't have to jump up and down and wave your pompoms, just repeat after me:

It's great... To be... a Tennessee Vol...

Now repeat it again... and again... and again. Doesn't that feel good?

Good boy...