TylerBray4Heisman writes:

the correct choice is David Cutcliffe: a man who bleeds orange and was responsible for Fulmer's success. This is a man who can restore pride in the program and fanbase, who could coach both Bray and Worley up to NFL caliber qbs, and has just enough clout to find a competent DC to revive our defense.

utfan36 writes:

CGQ at maryville can out coach CDD!

Hoops43 writes:

I thought bamboo grew a little faster.......

fan_for_life writes:

Before a new coach is hired we need to reason it out. One element the next coaching prospect will look at is talent and depth. Rogers will be gone. VOLs may lose Bray, Hunter, and Patterson. Interested coaches will want to see how well Dooley recruited to know how bare the cupboard is. Based on the 2011 and 2012 signings it looks mediocre which means this years commits will be crucial and right now it does not look good. The current staff must get some 4 & 5 star recruits committed to attract a better coach but how will that benefit them?
January 2013 will be a very competitive atmosphere for coaching hires. Auburn fans are ready to revolt and don’t forget Arkansas and Kentucky will definitely be looking for a coach in January and most prospective coaches might view those schools as a better job.

copia69296 writes:

La Tech seems to have improved since DD's departure. La Tech is ranked in the top 20.

Is DD in control? Whats up with Bray arguing with the sideline after every bad play he makes?

We keep talking about all the records Bray is setting except for one very important one.... fewest wins.

I will take wins all day over records.

MFearghail writes:

Dooley coachin’ like a lawyer
Dooley try to be a winner
Dooley gave us a loser
So I’ll send you back someday.

lafollette37766 writes:

in response to oldvoltimer62:

If not Gruden give Jimmy Johnson a call proven winner everywhere he's been.Offer him the farm plus all the hair products he wants.

Gruden ain't comming to Knoxville. More than likely there will be NFL openings in Philly and Dallas. Gruden could write his on ticket at either place. Why should Jimmy Johnson want to give up a one day a week mega million job for the college football ratrace again? UT needs to get rid of Dooley today, let him finish the season but start looking now. With Kentucky looking, Arkansas looking, Auburn more than likely looking the good coaches are gonna play schools off against each other to get top dollar.

dkta writes:

Dooley, not ready for prime time. I don't know how he defends the dicision to keep the defensive coach after the first SEC game. Then his dicision making in the game against MO. Now that coaching staff has to be replaced. If the Athletic Director don't want to do it, replace him too.

MFearghail writes:

Andy Griffith: "What It Was, Was Football"

He dropped his big orange drink!

ricks995 writes:

Even his momma wont defend him anymore!

GloryDays writes:

Is Dooley the worst coach in college football right now? I think just about anyone would be a better game day coach than Dooley. Everyone things Dooley is a great recruiter, then why is just about everyone on his defense a step or two slow? Poor tackling and poor angles are poor coaching but Dooley is just plain awful! Dooley has to be embarassed, the entire Vol nation knows he is a moran!

Oenoboy writes:

The 4 lowest HC salaries in the SEC are at UT, UK, Ark and Vandy. You get what you pay for.

It seems Vandy is getting the best bang for their buck with Franklin but he still hasn't beat a top team.

Arkansas and UT are great examples of what poor coaching does with top notch talent and Joker(?)...well, he's just Joker.

JohnnyBeGood writes:

The earthquake in Ktown must have been General Neyland turning over in his grave. what excuse will Dooley make on the DD SHOW? Just move on.

TylerBray4Heisman writes:

Cutcliffe! Cutcliffe!! Cutcliffe!!!!

chuckfromwoodberry writes:

in response to DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho:

Yeah...we're trolls because we called this one with 100% accuracy three years ago.

We're trolls because we told you and the rest of your Doolaide drinking buddies that Dooley can't coach, can't hire, can't manage, and isn't really that likeable as a person.

We're trolls because we told you that this program isn't advancing and that if Dooley wasn't fired he would set recruiting back and run what could be a championship level program into the ground.

We're trolls when 7 of nine coaches jumped shipped and took lateral positions at other programs and we pointed out that this wasn't a good thing.

We're trolls because when Sunseri was hired we didn't drool over a career linebackers coach who had two years Defense Coordinating experience.

Yeah...we're the trolls because for the last three years we've spoken the truth and because you think that every coach should just magically be given eight years to ruin UT football.

But now you've come to your senses after THREE YEARS of this loser and you still call us trolls.

Welcome to real world jacka**.

Thank you. The first step towards recovery is admitting you have a problem. I agree with you. You are a troll.

chuckfromwoodberry writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

If 10 wins per year in a 11 game schedule, national relevance, NFL players all over, SEC Title game every 3 or so years, taking players in recruiting from the big boys, owning everybody...yea if that is a problem than I will take those problems anyday.

Thanks Hall of Famer. Most understand the way you set the bar of success here like no other time in history and that no one will ever match what you did. No one!!!!!! Ut is not an easy place to win but the great one spoiled you. It was the greatest era in school history. Should have enjoyed it. Now, enjoy your change LOL!!!

Thanks Vicky. Don't you have a press conference to hijack?

jobrando#216494 writes:

My bar for the new coach is he be a magnet for kids wanting the best. I think it's a no brainer that would be a proven coach at the highest level and not another LaTech OJT.

lafollette37766 writes:

in response to amyinsparta:

Shouldn't be hard to outbid UK for Petrino. UK will only offer 7.25/hour.

indyssee writes:

How about Kirby Smart?

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho:

Welcome to real world jacka**.

You are indeed a troll. You just want to run your mouth and draw attention to yourself. We fans want the VOLS to succeed, you are just an arse

DavidB writes:

Just watched the Dooley show. I expected him to take some of the blame but instead he blamed the players. Then he makes statement can still end up with a good season and a bowl game.

Not sure where he sees can still end up with good season. I'm not even confident will get a bowl game.

Rock85 writes:

MAC
$450,000
141-71 TWO TITLES BRING HIS WHOLE STAFF

Rock85 writes:

Butch Davis,

Rock85 writes:

Im avaliable, Undefeated as a Head coach in the NCAA. 10 playstation National Championships. And will sign the same contract Dooley has... (BEST BUY)

therightstuff writes:

New coach walking the sideline next year.......

Volumnus writes:

I will be very surprised if the Vol Walk for the KY game does not contain some vivid displays of public disgust for Coach Dooley. Tomatoes, eggs, rotten oranges and comments will most likely be hurled his way. I remember the homecoming of one Doug Dickey when Florida came to town with him at the helm. Even inside the stadium it rained oranges throughout the game. And all he did was leave and go back to his alma mater. He even left us a solid team with a winning record. He did nothing like the damage that Sir Dooley has done. My advice to he and his staff would be for you gentlemen to resign now, show up no more, quietly collect your belongings and leave the campus with a 48 hour head start you may be able to be free of the cheering mobs. You quit on your TEAM, THE UNIVERSITY AND THE FAN BASE with 42 seconds on the clock. You should leave quietly in the darkness. Whatever you do, I would not make the Vol Walk for the KY game. And although I haven't lived in Knoxville for years, I remember the scene at the 1970 Florida game and this is going to be much worse.

hueypilot writes:

in response to jbc:

Winningest active coaches

Took your link and plugged an imaginary record of the same w/l totals for the last awful years years that dd and LK had and added it to Phil's totals and he'd now rank 25Th in winning % (just under 70%). and near top ten in total wins. I think you could make a pretty good case that he wouldn't have done any worse than those two. He'd rank right near spurrier and much better than Mack Brown and Beamer. That old hindsight is a hard taskmaster.

Gunzilla writes:

WHY is he still our coach?

woodcutter writes:

Get someone with skills and wants to be at UT - John Chavis! He can always hire a hot young offensive coordinator.

sameolvolalum writes:

I don't think it's too wild a guess in supposing Hart will swing the axe just as soon as Dooley's replacement has been secured. You've gotta' figure the AD's been on the phone and in the ether querying potential HC's. When the right guy's ready to leave whatever program he's running (and he may just be getting his "current" team through a winning season), I'm sure Hart will fire and hire all in the same day, keeping committed recruits within the fold. Firing Dooley without a recruit wowing replacement is going to make 2013 another long season, regardless of who's the new HC. GBO!

TNPilgrim writes:

Dooley is just a symptom of a syndrome that's haunted the UT administration for quite some time. "Shoulda-never-been-hired-in-the-first-place" Syndrome reflects the lack of management and personnel expertise in the UT upper administration. They gave us Mike Hamilton who gave us Lane Kiffen before he gave us Derek Dooley after numerous refusals from other coaches including Will Muschamp. The UT Board also seems to have the same problems with presidents. Hopefully Dave Hart will offer some credibility to the next group of head football coaching prospects - who had better have proven records at big-time college programs. Otherwise they'll be painting the seats in Neyland Stadium black and hanging curtains over sections of the upper deck.

govols0463 writes:

For the love of God, fire him in the morning.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to tnbigg:

D E B A T E I T? Wake up morons. This case is closed...

KNS Still trying. They need to move on to coach search.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to govols0463:

For the love of God, fire him in the morning.

Fan apathy will disappear as soon as he's off campus and not before.

jaydubuc writes:

Dooley has been fired!

MarbleVol48 writes:

Hire John Gruden. This covers Coaching and Recruiting. My second choice is Jeff Fisher - Someone told me he is very unhappy out west. A couple of weeks ago I would have said NO, however my third choice is now Petrino. My fourth choice is a guy who made Philip Fulmer a good coach and not just average, he is a guy that has been able to keep Mark Richt's his job, and he is the guy that recruited the majority of our starting line up on our 1997 team - Rodney Garner.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to jaydubuc:

Dooley has been fired!

but are they cleaning out his desk tonight

BigOrangeJoe writes:

I thought Dooley was way in over his head from the start but I remained positive about the future of UT football. He has helped heal a broken image of off the field antics and arrest of players. However, it's really sad how insignificant UT football has become since he's been our head coach. I have loved UT for a very long time but I find myself rooting against them these days because we MUST go a different direction without Dooley. The players deserve better and so do the fans. I'm not one of these airheads who gets all worked up if they don't win at least ten games each year, but the current state of the program is pathetic.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

Look in the mirror your just like them taking advantage of your speculation proving correct. You could have very well been wrong had Dooley made a decent DC hire. However, the percentages were in your favor. Dooley came in OJT. No experience and not a clue as to what had to be done to right the ship. I dont blame Dooley but the culprits have always been the leadership that fooled the fans for three years. I just want KNS to get off this as soon as possible and move to new coach talk and our future. Dooley must be fired today or Monday. I dont want him coaching aganst Vandy. Chit NO.

That's true about the DC. I could have been wrong. Hell, I WANTED to be wrong! If I was wrong about Dooley, then UT has a great coach that's probably going to be here for years, but Dooley hired Sunseri and Dooley is Dooley.

I don't know if you play poker, but I do. Two weeks ago I was sitting with a pair of fours in my hand, pre-flop. I hate this because (like Dooley) you think you got something, but in truth you have a mediocre hand that will probably lose. I fold after the buy-in is raised ridiculously. Right after I fold, guess what pops up: two more fours. Four of a kind. An all but guaranteed winner. But I folded because a pair of fours is a bad hand to risk a lot of money on and I didn't regret it for a second.

You gotta play the percentages. Dooley is UT's "low pair." A lot of people hoped that it would turn into something. A lot of people even convinced themselves that UT had a winning coach...but the odds were never in our favor.

I only hope Dave Hart has the mentality of a winner. I hope he doesn't risk more of UT's reputation on a ridiculous risk, but I honestly don't have a lot of hope.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to Geofffourmyle:

It was always clear to me that it wasn't the recruiting, or the supposed mess left by Kiffin or Fulmer, or the many player and coach departures - it was ALWAYS Dooley being a dreadfully bad coach with no leadership acumen whatsoever.

I've said this many times:

The more Dooley you inject into a team, the worse it does.

But I should note that those of us who saw this fiasco clearly got a lot of abuse and name caling simply because we had a different opinion.

Some people who post here should be ashamed of that.

Walt

UT'81

Walt,

You've been calling out the delusional and imbecilic on this site for the last three years. You deserve the credit for being right.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to chuckfromwoodberry:

Does it bother you that I was right about the train wreck that is a Derek Dooley coached team? That's gotta burn. Your hopes for UT wrapped up in a coach with a losing record in the WAC and suddenly, three years later you realize that he isn't actually going to deliver an SEC championship like you thought. He isn't one year away from "turning things around." Or maybe its that you are still upset that everyone is able to admit how bad Dooley is, but you just can't seem to be honest with yourself. Ultimately it doesn't matter because

You.

Were.

Wrong.

Truth ain't Trollin.

volcop writes:

#1 Jon Gruden
#2 John Chavis
#3 Chris Peterson
#4 Charlie Strong

in response to TylerBray4Heisman:

I agree with most of what you said about Cutcliffe, but I just don't see him coming in to rebuild UT at his age. From my vantage point here in North Carolina, Cutcliffe can stay at Duke forever and virtually write his own ticket. They are embarking on an extensive upgrade of their stadium and all other facilities related to football. IMHO, at his age and in his situation, he would nuts ever to leave Duke.

in response to amyinsparta:

Petrino has way more negatives than just the recent Arkansas hanky-panky. When he was at Louisville and seemingly building a real program there, he was caught negotiating for the Auburn job behind the backs of both Louisville officials and Auburn's then-coach Tommy Tuberville. When he didn't get that job but still had to leave Louisville as a result, he went to the Atlanta Falcons and then ran out on them half-way through the season. IMHO, Petrino has NO integrity and would drag the image of UT down even further than it is now. Considered purely as a football coach, he may be one of the best around, but no college HC is ONLY a football coach; he is one of the THE most visible representatives of the institution, and I do not care to see my alma mater represented by such a person.

in response to Volumnus:

I for one would be TOTALLY shocked and embarrassed if anything like what you suggested were to actually happen! It was bad enough the way Dickey was treated; this would be far worse. It appears almost certain that Dooley and staff will be out of here by the end of the season. I give him credit for trying, but things just didn't work out, so just let him go in peace.

Not every piece of garbage you would aim at Dooley would hit him; some would surely hit players who believed in him and the university--and US!--and would ruin our reputation forever. Look how the mattress-burning incident when Kiffin left was played up.

I hope you were joking or just giving expression to some sick fantasy. If so, you got me; if you were serious and, worse, some did as you suggest, that would be the virtual end of UT as a would-be football power, not mention as a respectable university.