vq4nfo writes:

in response to Ayres_Hall:

My sources tell me that UT fans are the dumbest. Rivals,
247 and KNS feed the dumb.

Yes and they really believe these stories to the point of obsession that the coach will be fired on Monday. It is almost as disappointing to them that Romney was not elected when it did not happen.

Like I said, someone come up with $9.3 Million and the additional Millions needed to satisfy the fans/reporters in hiring a "Quality" "SEC" "Experienced" coach. LMAO at the dummies

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to TheStupidPolice:

STUPID

For once, I totally agree with you

jt45 writes:

If Dooley is still the coach after this year, tickets will have to be free. Many folks have already turned down free tickets to some of this years games. I stopped fighting the gameday traffic 2 games ago. Its just not worth it to watch a coach give up on his team or keep on making the same mistakes(look up insanity).
There is no way UT can afford not to make a change unless Hart wants to close Neyland Stadium. I bet ticket sales will drop by half or more if changes are not made.

Colliervol writes:

in response to proudveteran:

Forget all the losers out there as potential coaches including Gruten and "Troubleville", oops Tuberville. Offer Peyton Manning the job now. That would solve everything. Manning does not have that much time left in the NFL witness the decisions of Indianapolis, does not need the money, absolutely a believer and promoter of UT as a school, would immediately solve the recruiting problem and could get us competive in two years. Let's go hire Manning.

One, he still has 2 to 3 more good years left in the NFL and, two, why would a guy worth a half billion dollars want to spend his life recruiting the clientele that coaches have to deal with now? Not me for sure. And I figure Peyton has bigger things in mind.

govols0463 writes:

in response to UkJarhead:

I say wait until UK knocks you out of another bowl game to fire him. As bad as we are, nothing except maybe hiring Saban, will give me as much satisfaction as knocking UT from the postseason again. That is assuming you beat Vandy which is a stretch. At least I got my tickets dirt cheap this year.

UK won't get a chance to. Vandy will take care of that for you. Transylvania had that *ss scared at halftime the other night didn't they? haha! And UK football tickets are always cheap Bud. Doesn't matter where the game is played. No one wants to see that mess.

Razzle writes:

in response to 45ReVOLver:

Ok, well if not Peyton how bout Aaron Rogers or Tom Brady? Oh wait. They are still players aren't they? Nevermind.

jimr07 writes:

in response to Hounddawg:

Time to think seriously about offering David Howell the Job. Should've been his last time.

WHO? I guess his is mentioned for every opening. lol..

govols0463 writes:

in response to pcorange:

It doesn't look much like he is going to be fired no matter how the team performs. If giving up 48 points and 621 yards to Troy and an 0-6 SEC start for yet another season isn't enough to be relieved of your duties, I don't think a loss to a better Vanderbilt team is going to matter much.

It was 721 against Troy.

rockofrockytop writes:

in response to pcorange:

There may have been 89,000 tickets given out, but I can assure you there weren't 89,000 in the stands. 60,000 tops. People who are holding season tickets right now who have stopped attending games are going to eventually quit buying season tickets, at that point the "announced" attendance will start coming more in line with reality.

Are you serious? Were you not at the game or did you have your eyes closed? If it were 60K people, as you suggest, the stadium would have appeared to be half empty. There were pockets that were empty, but few and far between. My guess right after the game was that there was 90K-95K people in the house, so the 89K number is inline with that. Now, you may go back to playing with your GI Joes.

Razzle writes:

in response to 45ReVOLver:

The point was sarcasm.

VOLFROMNC writes:

in response to suttree:

Dooley has one winning season in his coaching career. He has never lost fewer than five games in a season. In 72 games, he has never beaten a ranked opponent. He might be a fine family man but he is not up to this task.

Pay the man and lets turn the page.

Ditto

Volunatic writes:

in response to pcorange:

I agree wholeheartedly that the announced attendance greatly overestimates the actual attendance, but I think the 60,000 number you give is probably a bit low. I would have guessed about 70,000 at that game. The attendance was slightly better than the Troy game, due to the fact that Mizzou fans were anxious to see an SEC road win.
Your point about the season ticket holders dwindling is a good one-- I don't think that UT can afford to NOT fire Dooley.

bigdisbig writes:

Whoever hired Dooley should be fired along with Dooley. I do not think if was Hamilton but probably Cheeks.
No one should feel sorry for Dooley for he will walk away with 5 million bucks. I'd let them fire me and laugh all the way to the bank. I was against Dooley from the start. He was NOT a proven coach but a clown in orange pants. Once again, Tennessee has set a loser up for life.
The Tennessee job is not an attractive job at all except for the money. Its hard to recruit against the likes of Saban, Miles, Spurrier, Muschamp and Richt. One MUST go out of state regularly to recurit quality players unlike the afore mentioned coaches.

laraccoon writes:

in response to 45ReVOLver:

performing janitorial services at UT does no make you a U T alumnus .

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to Rock85:

FIRE HART!!!!

Fire wardawg.

ArmyO6VOL writes:

I am all about giving someone a second chance to make things right. We have two games left in the season so lets see if team can win out then be competitive in a bowl game. Now, if we lose to Vandy by 14 or more then may the chips fall will they may.

SandySpringsVol writes:

AD Hart is doing his job. This is not a decision that he will be making on his own. He has the university administration to deal with, and they have to evaluate the economics of what would be required.

For those of you who have the emotional maturity of a third grader ("Fire Dooley now! If Hart doesn't fire Dooley now, fire Hart now!"), you're just going to have to wait until the adults make the best decision for the university.

The end result may very well be Dooley's ouster, but it will be done thoughtfully and in due course.

After all, it was the much-hated Mike Hamilton who fired Coach Fulmer during the season, so encouraging Hart to act like Hamilton seems somewhat counter-intuitive, no?

FWBVol writes:

By his silence, Dave Hart is throwing Derek Dooley under the bus. Whether you have supported Dooley from the beginning or been against him from the start, you have to admit that Hart needs to be the face of the athletic department and at least release a statement so Dooley doesn't have to answer questions about his job status.

I thought Dooley could get it done until Saturday, but losing to Missouri was the last straw that made me change my opinion about his ability to win at Tennessee.

Since the days that General Neyland was a mere captian, defense has been the calling card of the great Vol football teams. I know it's a different era and even the best coached teams by the General would have trouble shutting everyone out, but they would play good defense. Tennessee isn't supposed to give up 369 points in 10 games or 450 in a season, which might happen with two games left.

If a lack of speed on defense is a problem then Derek Dooley is at fault for not recruiting defenders that are fast enough to play in the SEC. If the defensive scheme is too complicated then it's also Dooley's fault for not bringing in players smart enough to understand or, perhaps, coaches that have the skills to teach it.

I was willing to give Dooley some slack for injuries the first couple of years, but by now the backups should be SEC players. I understand he still hasn't had three full recruiting classes as he came in at the end of recruiting season in 2010, but by now we should have some speed in the secondary and that problem won't be solved with a new group of freshmen DBs next year.

Colliervol writes:

Just when I think people can't post anything sillier, I look and there it is again. "Get Peyton Manning!" "Bring in a coach right now!" "We have to be first out of the chute!" Good grief people. Do you not think before you speak? Do you not realize that unless it's Gruden or unless the coach is out of work (Petrino or Fulmer), they can't "bring them in now". They have to keep it close to the vest since many of the likely suspects are coaching right now. Don't get so excited. I'm sure the wheels are in motion and anything Hart says right now to anybody is just a smokescreen. And that includes to CDD.

Razzle writes:

in response to 45ReVOLver:

Uh Oh. Sounds like you cr@??ed in your pants again.

UTKin1992 writes:

in response to SandySpringsVol:

Very true points, although admittedly, I am one of those who has demanded Dooley's head immediately...and have been for some time. The "obvious" (eliminating the problem) sometimes eclipses economic realities of the real world. It's easy to sit back and post this stuff when I have no skin in the game...financially speaking.

Regardless, Hart should be publicly addressing this issue as opposed to remaining oddly silent and allowing everyone to sway in the wind.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to smoky50:

Dave Hart needs to act now and fire Dooley. We have got to be the first out of the chute to get the best coach available. NO PATRINO AND NO TUBERVILLE! There are other coaches out there. I say throw the bone at the Chief. Give him the reigns and welcome him back! I hope wherever Hammy and Fulmer are they are completely satisfied by running this program into the ground. Before all you Fulmer lovers come after me just think back after we won the National Championship and the back to back SEC Championships, Fulmer after a few years sat back on his rear and let the game pass him by. All the coaches had his playbook and knew our game plans week to week. I know he was the winningest coach but he let the program go stale, hammy pulled the trigger and hired that snake kiffin. AD Dave Hart HAS GOT TO MAKE A QUICK AND STERN DECISION or we will be at the bottom of the SEC for several years to come.

WE ,the Fulmer lovers have gotten over it. Why don't you Fulmer haters do the same?Could it be you don't have enough smarts to do SO? People who hold grudges and harbor such hatred are proven losers.

walt2010 writes:

in response to MidTennVol:

I actually generally agree with that assessment. We are four plays away from four more wins. If we can win out, I would not be against giving Dooley another year -- provided he does something major (i.e. whatever it takes) to ensure we have an SEC defense next year.

This is akin to saying that if Tennessee were five hundred miles further south we would be on the ocean. It's astonishing to me that anyone could watch the inexcusable excuse for coaching this past Saturday and still support this coach.

volsmith writes:

The problem with the UT Athletics(all sports)is the administration. I believe Dave Hart was hired to cut expenses by running big salaried people off. I doubt if they have any plans of hiring a big name coach and paying a lot of money for a winner. We're stuck in mediocrity with Jimmy Cheek at the helm.

kring writes:

in response to vq4nfo:

Maybe the AD is looking for the first person to cough up the $5 Million for CDD and the $4.3 Million for the assistants. Total of $9.3 Million to please a few journalists and posters on KNS website. 89,000+ at the game Saturday? Still in the top 10 attendance for all of FBS.

Well Said. Things are not good for sure but what can we expect with an athletic dept with no cash and 3 coaches since 08?

tnaseevol writes:

Hey! I've got an idea...

Why don't all you 'know what to do' former ADs --you are former ADs since all of you know *exactly* what to do--just go to Cheek and tell him you want Hart's job, since you are so much more knowledgeable and smarter than Hart.

I'm sure that Cheek will take all your names, put them in a hat, and then pull out the name of the new AD.

This would be the only way that is fair. All of you are so 'in the know' about what needs to be done, so have at it smartasses -- go tell Cheek you're way, way better than Hart and you want the job.

arkansasvol1975 writes:

Wish my dad could get fired and stand to make over $5 million to boot. Yeah I would feel real bad...lol. First of all,I bet UT paid for his house, which he will get to sale and make the money off of that, plus all the money he has made since he has been here, and the $5 million he will get paid over the next three years...common on man! Who feels sorry for this man and his family? They are set for life, hell he hurt his hip waterskiing, probably has one of those $100,000 ski boats. I don't feel sorry at all for him and his family.

pcorange writes:

in response to govols0463:

It was 721 against Troy.

Alas, you are correct. Even worse, lol.

vollerdash writes:

I think the Vols need to hire a coach with a winning resume, and one that wears the same size pants as Dooley....... no need in lettin those orange threads go to waste !!!!

JDX47 writes:

This just in, the coaching staff and team captains are working on executing the timeout signal. They said there will be no more of this miscommunication when we have timeouts available and a chance to win a game. In a statement, Dooley said, "I had many things to fix in this program when I got here...the offense is where we want it to be, I fixed the defense last week, and by golly, we won't leave practice this week until we execute this timeout thing!"

GerryOP writes:

in response to FWBVol:

It's statements like this that really crack me up:

"I understand he still hasn't had three full recruiting classes as he came in at the end of recruiting season in 2010, but by now we should have some speed in the secondary and ..."

It's kind of like saying "I couldn't care less what problems Dooley has had to face and overcome, I still expect Dooley to deliver yada yada yada ...."

Look peeps, you don't like Dooley, you have no appreciation for what he has accomplished, and regardles of what the facts are, you want him fired. OK, I get it. And you'll take the same stance with the next coach ... and the next coach ... and the next coach ...

Yet, when someone proposes a coach like Tressel or Petrino, you get all indignant and pontificate about how you want our team to operate with class and dignity. Yup ... ya'll want it all ... and you would still find something to whine and complain about. Really dudes and dudettes ... look in the mirror and repeat after me: "We have met the enemy and it is us!" Or maybe, to get to the basics, Chris Fowler...

pcorange writes:

in response to rockofrockytop:

From what I saw, the stadium looked to be near half empty. Furthermore, there seemed to be about 60-40 Tennessee/Mizzou fans. Certainly not a "sea of orange".

Colliervol writes:

in response to bigdisbig:

Good luck firing Jim Haslam and Thunder Thornton. Let us know when you get that done.

CincyOhVol writes:

in response to frblalack:

The smart thing to do is allow Coach Dooley the opportunity & the respect he deserves. If UT can win out, then let's give Coach our complete support. If we cannot beat Vandy and Kentucky, then probably all the naysayers & negative posters & supposedly "fans" will be happy. Coach Dooley is a CLASS ACT, a genuinely fine representative for our university. If we'd have made a few critical catches, or a few less fumbles, or a few more field goals then we wouldn't be having this discussion. Yeah, the missed defensive assignments have been atrocious...but they can be corrected. I remain hopeful that Coach Hart will honor the contract with our Head Coach. Keeping in mind the circumstances Coach inherited; let's see how the rest of this season plays out.

All Vols - All the Time - Vol for Life - GoBigOrange!

Sir, step away from the crack pipe.

byrd writes:

The university on the whole is developing a loser culture. Leadership has to reverse that.

tnaseevol writes:

in response to pcorange:

I would say that it might have been 60-65K at the beginning of the game--the student sections started filling up by the middle to end of first quarter. All must have slept in-it was an early game. By the second quarter I would say around 75K would be about right.

Our section on the west side was full, fuller than the last two games.

One thing can be said about Mizzou fans, they are loyal. They bought all allotted tickets and a lot in TN sections also. They followed their team over 600 miles. Would or do you 'fans' do this?

I am always for my team--THE VOLS-- and am always hoping they win the game. They played very well against top teams. I don't know what has happened to the defense...really sad.

I am there for all the home games, and as many of the 'away' games that are not too far away...

GBO!

GerryOP writes:

in response to tnaseevol:

Hey! I've got an idea...

(Sarcasm Font/On) That's kind of along the line I was thinking tnaseevol. With all of the expertise and knowledge sitting around on this board, what's Cheek's problem? There's enough knowledge, experience, and expertise on here to restaff the entire danged SEC. Why are we wasting time with wastrels like Hart and Dooley? Pick a name from this board, any name, and we would be better off. I mean dang, some of these guys even graduated from middle school before they were 18! Their brilliance is blinding. Offer these folks $22.50/hr and they would jump into the hot chair in a heartbeat. They would need Wednesday evenings off for thier bowling league and don't forget huntin' season ... they'll need that off too.(Sarcasm Font/Off)

CincyOhVol writes:

in response to GerryOP:

It's statements like this that really crack me up:

tnaseevol writes:

I watched the press meeting today at noon on MyVLT, and the press were very sharp and not very nice to CDD.

They are supposed to be non-bias.

GerryOP writes:

in response to byrd:

(Sarcasm Font/On) The university on the whole is probably catching this "loser culture" from the naysaying negaVol fans here on GVX. What a freakin' bunch of losers on here. (Sarcasm Font/Off)

JDX47 writes:

in response to CincyOhVol:

Didn't you watch the first half of the game against Mizzou? That was all Dooley because he focused on Defense last week. I don't blame him for the second half as I am sure he began to focus on other things and Sunseri probably screwed it up for him (or maybe it was Fulmer or Kiffin).

utvolz#637682 writes:

What sayeth Jimmy Haslem and Thunder Thornton? Those are the two voices that matter in this decision....

dragon18 writes:

in response to jimr07:

WHO? I guess his is mentioned for every opening. lol..

Isn't David Howell the rich guy on Gilligan's Island?

traderjoe writes:

Derek Dooley Fired by Tennessee, According to Two Reports
College Football Jason McIntyre November 11th. 2012, 3:40pmDerek Dooley has been fired by the University of Tennessee less than 24 hours after a demoralizing 4-overtime home loss to Missouri, according to two reports. Vol Quest, a Rivals site, says Dooley is gone, which is the same thing Wes Rucker reported late Saturday night.

LoudonUTVOL4LIFE writes:

I think for the long term good of the program we need to keep Dooley. Yes i'm very dissapointed in the decision to not try and score at the end of the Mizzou game. Yes i'm very dissapointed in our horrid defense. I really believe that next year that defense will be much much improved (while this is Dooley's third year its our first year with the new defense). I think the roster is much improved over what was here when Dooley came in.

I am a true Vol fan and I think staying the course and letting the process take care of itself. I may be crazy and i'm sure some of you think that I am but thats how I see it.

Go Vols!!

DRORANGELOVE writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

Is it Polk County Orange? Been a while since I lived in Tenn but you sound like an East Tenn person.
Don't call out the press on just Football, they stink on every issue of news that I read about. Could be that it is just here on the West Coast but I don't see it that a way.
I have a history of just plain liking all Tenn Coaches all the way back to the Gen. Yes I liked Lane , fact is I liked him a lot until he Pooed on UT . I sure didn't think the display of dislike by fans was needed.
I really like Dooley and I think he has done a good job in many ways just not on the field.
I played a lot of competitive sports and was at lease fair at most, but I lost my share also, no one likes that but that is how it is. I wish Dooley had made it, and I really like the support that Barbara showed toward him. They are good people and if he goes lets hope it is with the respect that is offered toward good people.

I don't always agree with your posts, but I do with this one. In my humble opinion you are correct on your train of thought and comments. GBO

tnaseevol writes:

in response to GerryOP:

It's statements like this that really crack me up:

Applause, applause...standing ovation!

Bravo for telling it like it is!

GBO!

bigdisbig writes:

in response to Colliervol:

Haslam and Thornton did NOT HIRE Dooley. They threw the money out there for some other high profile coaches but they would not bite. Dooley was not on their list. The recruiting group gave Cheeks a list and Dooley was the only one to bite. Out of desperation they hired Dooley. No one can blame Dooley for accepting the job. It was a career move that set him up for life. The blame lays on Cheeks.

FWBVol writes:

in response to GerryOP:

It's statements like this that really crack me up:

For starters Gerry, I'm not your "peeps." And secondly, if you take time to go back and read any of my post from the last three years, or heck the last three months, you will see that I have supported Derek Dooley and thought he could get the job done. I have pulled for him to succeed and I still hope he does. I would like nothing better than for Dooley to turn things around because I do understand how another coaching change might set the program back another three or four years.

I've kept the same user name for more than five years so you can go back and see I supported Phillip Fulmer too and never called for his job. So please, don't go lumping me into the fire sale fans that shout every time someone lites a match.

That said, there comes a time when things hit rock bottom and it is time to make a decision for the greater good of the program. Can Dooley turn it around if he is given one more year? Maybe, but from what I've seen, I'm not so sure any more.

Then there's the fire Suneri, give him one more year agrument. If we fire Sunseri, who will want the job knowing that Dooley has to get things done next year or else? Maybe they can get Dale Jones...but he's never coached in the SEC before.

If Sunseri stays, and I understand that the defense is complicated, what if the kids still can't grasp it? Ten games into the season there should be some improvement on the defensive side of the ball. Giving up 721 yards to Troy and then almost 400 yards in the second half to Missouri isn't a sign of a defense getting better.

I wanted Dooley to succeed and still do, but at this point I don't think he will.

GerryOP writes:

in response to CincyOhVol:

OMG, a freakin' Buckeye calling people names on a Vol web site! That's just too precious!

If you want to discuss football, UT football in particular, then drop the name calling crapola and contribute something of value. Sheesh, a freakin' Buckeye ... wow.

A suggestion: In order not to waste my time and repeat myself, go back and read some of my other posts. The one today at 12:44 PM on the "UT has 'Nothing to report' on coach Derek Dooley's job status" thread would be one place to start. Sheesh, a freakin' Buckeye calling other people names! What next?