10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to willtowin:

Even chizik at Auburn won national championship in first year there.. you do research my friend. It has been done.

Ummm, no. Chizik went 7-5 regular-season, against a relatively weak schedule (and embarrassingly weak non-conference schedule), then squeaked by Northwestern by 3 points, giving up 621 yards to them in the Outback Bowl.

The next year, he was first in line for a Black Friday deal on Cam Newton (only one available for sale) and Newton took Auburn to a National Championship, despite Chizik.

After that, it was back to a 7-5 regular-season, then the current 2-8 record.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but if you're thinking a first-year champion, you're barking up the wrong poisoned tree.

orange_eVOLution writes:

in response to BigOrangeRock:

I will say what I want. Graham is the only Tennessee coach I give a hoot about.

Fire Bob Kesling too.

The Rock has spoken.

You forgot Sam Pittman. He's a keeper for sure.

pcshowtime writes:

in response to tenndave:

Actually this makes sense. If Hart pushed Sunseri on Dooley and it is the defense that is our main problem, then how can he fire Dooley if Dooley wanted someone else. This may be why Dooley gets another year and the defense coaches don't.

Even if hart did hire sunseri he will still fire dooley way too much outside pressure. I do not trust hart he would gladly let dooley fall on the sword. Like I said if hart pushed sunseri then dooley need to speak up. I imagine they made the hire together. Like I said these things are rarely 100% one way or the other.

orange_eVOLution writes:

in response to tenndave:

Move on. Dooley does not get another year no matter what happens now. Big changes are coming.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to willtowin:

Oh and though it's not football, Tennessee had a coach that won an sec championship in his first year..his name is Bruce Pearl. If you get the right guy things can move quickly. With Dooley there isnt even progress. I know you would like to win a couple sec games a year for the next 20 years but most fans want more than that.

No progress? Really? What was UT's offensive rank last season or the one before? I'll tell you: 104th and 75th. What is it now? 14th.

What about the running game? It was 105th in 2010 and 116th in 2011. Right now it's 63rd, gaining 70+ more yards/game than last year.

What about our kicking game? Yep. Steady improvement there too, believe it or not. Palardy's 43.04 yards/punt is good enough for 6th in the conference, compared to our last-place standing last season. BTW, that 43.04 per punt is Colquitt numbers.

The problem is the defensive scheme/coaching change this year has gone worse than anybody could have anticipated. That has caused the loss of several games that would otherwise have been wins, and that W-L result is all that you see. Now, I get it. W-L is what really matters, but to say there's been no improvement during Dooley's tenure is just plain stupid.

willtowin writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

The difference I see in some( not all) Tennessee fans is the eagerness to be mediocre. You never see Alabama or Florida fans all giddy about going 1-7 or 2-8 in the sec year after year. That's why I have a hard time believing some of you are truly Tennessee fans. When does one coach become bigger than the program?

Vols4Ever writes:

in response to willtowin:

I grew up in the shadow of Neyland Stadium and have been in those stands for 6 decades. Being mediocre isn't in the vocabulary.

This isn't so much about a person as the head coach as it is about the Head Coach of the program. Hart has been dealt the same hand as DD was. A mess and how to progress from a terrible situation.

This is a business decision and not just financially, although the $$$s are a major component. When a reasonable person attempts to evaluate all the potential benefits and risks with an action or inaction, you can understand that future events and conditions will ultimately provide a direction.

It isn't so much whether CDD is a great, good, average, or bad coach (I can eliminate 3 of those choices), its whether hitting the reset button, with all its known costs and uncertainty, provide greater certainty for great improvement.

The choice will be does it cost more to keep him than clean house. Right now it doesn't.

volfaninutah writes:

in response to Prostar:

Kevin Steele for Defensive Coordinator, isn't that the same Kevin Steele whose defense had 70 points put on them by West Virginia in a bowl game? Maybe in time this experiment would work, but I blame Dooley for installing the 3-4 defense this year. We'll never know but I think had we stayed with the 4-3 we would have been in better shape.

Steele had a good defense at Clemson. Unfortunately, they ran into the WVA buzz saw in the Orange Bowl. Problem is everyone that played WVA around that time had close to 70 put up on them. Look how they started this year. BUt they cooled off. Everyone has game like that occasionally, but jeez we are having them twice a month. I think a DC change might be enough for next year, if things don't get exponentially better, can them all.

thevoice writes:

in response to The_Mayor:

Would make sense that Sunseri was a Hart hire and not a Dooley hire. There are so many layers to this onion. The easy thing to do is to call Dooley a clown, but I assure you he's no clown. I'd just like to see things stay in tact for one more year...including Dooley, Chaney, Graham, Bray, Hunter, Patterson, the O line, etc. Go out and bring in some head knocker JUCO defensive players this off season, the same talent caliber as Patterson. Can you imagine how good this team would have been this season if we even had an average defense? Probably would have won the Florida, SC, MO games, and possibly the UGA game. Sitting at 8-2 right now would be pretty fine, and we were literally inches from that. That doesn't even factor in the fact, and let's face it, this program and staff has been snake bitten when it comes to catching breaks. It seems like it all started with that horrific loss in Baton Rouge, and it's just been one flukey bad break after another. The bad luck has to run out. Give Dooley a full 4 years to prove his worth one way or the other. He's handled himself as professionally has anybody could ever hope for in a head coach. He's accountable, sincere, cordial, endlessly positive, and he has done many, many wonderful things for this program, in light of the ruins it was in when he arrived in Knoxville. I sure do hate to see us start from scratch again so soon. I think we would ultimately regret it. What do we have to lose by giving Dooley a full four year term? Where do we all think the University of Tennessee football program is going to go? I just don't understand the impatience. We'll always be Tennessee. Even if Dooley is a proven bust after four years, we're still Tennessee football...a HUGE draw for coaches and recruits. We're not going anywhere folks, and the sun will still rise tomorrow. Give this decent man his fair chance.

The problem is, most people, including Dooley himself, saw this year as a year to turn the corner. About this time last year, folk were saying, give him one more year. They weren't saying give him 2 more years. Well, here's his year. No significant injuries or depth issues, or ??? to deal with. If we go 1-7 or 2-6 in the SEC this year, what if he goes 3-5 next year? Will people be saying, one more year? He's had 3 years to show us who he is! For a host of reasons, he's not an SEC coach.

thevoice writes:

in response to The_Mayor:

About Sal. Let's break this down and assume Dooley did allow Hart to make the Sal hire. What coach in his right mind would allow an AD to make perhaps the most important hire on his staff AND in his career? "Most important" because Dooley's an offensive guy and can likely take care of that side of the ball and deals very little with the defense; he admitted that today. Hart has never coached a down of football and has a basketball background, yet he makes the most important hire on an existing coaching staff? And Dooley allowed that? What that implies is that (1) Dooley is entrusting his coaching future directly on an athletic director with whom he has no significant background (BTW Hart did not hire Dooley), (2) Dooley is not connected enough within the coaching community to hire his own staff, (3) Dooley does not plan to be coaching for a while, knowing that Hart's hire may wreck his resume. To reinforce all those points, Dooley allowed Sal to change the entire defensive scheme to a 3-4. If he is smart, I mean football smart, Dooley would not have allowed the hire and remained coach.

So, I conclude that we either put the "Hart hired Sal" suspicion to rest, or consider that Dooley did indeed offer his resignation after the UK game and Hart insisted he stay and forced Sal on him and Dooley has not desired to be here this season.

volfan1202 writes:

in response to The_Mayor:

Thank you for your input Mrs. Dooley, but your son has had a fair chance and he has proved he is not capable to coach college football. He's driven UT football into the ground and it's time for him to go.

Dooley should have been fired after the South Carolina game. Not sure what Hart is waiting for, but he better get on with it and sign Gruden.

volfan1202 writes:

in response to The_Mayor:

Really? Be an intelligent poster and do some research on Saban and Miles before they went to LSU. What were their records in three years at Michigan State and Oklahoma State respectively? How long did it take Terry Bradshaw to be great? How long did it take Lou Holtz to be great? Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team.

Mrs. Dooley, I find it hilarious that you are comparing your son to Saban, Miles, Bradshaw, Holtz and Michael Jordan.

DD has done at UT exactly what he did at La Tech... lose. He is no football coach.

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to The_Mayor:

You can forget the 4th year so get over it. Ain't happening

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to underthehill:

If I was in Dooley's position I certainly would appreciate your support..you make a strong case and I agree in part with what you say..but will attendance allow it..hard to say..now give me your take on Hart..as far as I can tell UT could justify firing him without a buyout ..for his handling of the merger which resulted in lawsuits that I believe UT will have to settle or lose..if he hired Sal and turned the defense over to him it would strengthen the case to keep Dooley..If I had a choice and had to keep one of them..I'd take Dooley..

Because Dooley is such a winner??? LOL...

punkin writes:

in response to Prostar:

You don't watch much football, do you? Since you haven't noticed UT hasn't used the 3-4 much since the first game.

georgiavol91 writes:

in response to Observer43:

Agreed...Just look at how well the offence is doing. I just hope Gruden keeps him ^_^

This is a joke guys... but Chaney is a great coach and a class act!

Please stop. If he is such a great coach, then why does Bray do so many dumb things when the game is on the line? It's easy to look good when you are down by 30 and trying to catch up. No pressure there. But the second things tighten up late in the game, more often than not Bray goes into a shell. And that is Chaney's problem to fix.

jobrando#216494 writes:

Chaney has become a decent SEC level OC. Not sure the new coach will retain him but I would not be negative if he does. Think orange pants should have had his desk cleaned out after the Mizzu game and Chaney served as interim. I hate to see CDD destroy the Vandy game. Chaney will end up successful like Wilcox in the west somewhere.

Displaced_Vol_Fan writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

As I've read and responded to comments on this article, I've come to this conclusion regarding Dooley's decision-making in this game. You don't have to agree with me. That's the great thing about this country and this anonymous internet thingy.

Where the end of regulation call goes, the only thing I really don't get is why he chose to let the clock run out after the no-gain on 2nd down. He could have called a timeout and then run another play on 3rd down. That play would need to be a run play, because if you don't get the 1st down, then (THEN) you want to run the clock out. You aren't going to go for it on 4th down and risk giving Mizzou back the ball with even enough time for one play left. A pass play would be ok only if it was complete (first down or not), but an incomplete pass would leave you forced to give Mizzou the ball back. So I would have run the ball on 3rd down, and if it didn't break for the 10 yards, let the clock run out.

Where the final OT series was concerned. I'm just totally puzzled. My belief is that when you have an O-line like ours and experienced, serviceable backs like Lane and Neal, you should pound the ball at them when you only need 3 yards and you have 3 plays to get them. I don't mind the pass on 2nd-and-3, but I'm pounding it down their throats on 3rd-and-3, and it doesn't matter what match-ups I see on any of the receivers. Lane or Neal, or Johnson, is most likely going to get the 3 yards, or at least some part of it. Then, on 4th-and-less-than-3, you can call whatever you think is best, because it's all-or-nothing. In a situation where you aren't going to go for it on 4th down, it's different, but Dooley knew right from the start that on any OT period when the Vols were on offense first, it was either TD or nothing -- no confidence that the defense could prevent a Mizzou TD, and rightly so.

I guess the bottom line is that I puzzle over part of Dooley's decision-making in both situations. He wasn't completely wrong, but certainly - in my opinion - could have done better.

Mizzou still had a timeout left as well. So If UT ran a third down play and it was unsuccessful, then Mizzou would have called a timeout and UT would have had to punt. That's why he let the time run out on 3rd down.

I don't agree with his decision, I'm just saying. I think you do all you can to win in regulation because OT is all about what your defense can do, more so than the offense. As soon as it went ot OT, I knew they would lose.

The_Mayor writes:

in response to volfan1202:

LOL, you join this site in this month (which is probably about the equivalent time line since you've been a "Vol fan"). You come on here, and the sum offering of your intelligence is in calling people childish names...no insight, no solutions. The notion that you think Gruden is a possibility confirms the fact that you have no idea about football, and certainly zero about the administrative aspects of football. That you would suggest Petrino confirms that you have no decency or intelligence, and that you would let him anywhere near UT's campus is proof enough that you haven't a care in the world about the well being of our program. Funny, if you let stupid people talk long enough, you never have to say a word.

Ironcity writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

4.3 yards per carry. BTW, I think the two timeouts Dooley took home with him might have been used, and they actually allow you to run the ball if you think it'll catch the defense off-guard.

What I really don't get is why didn't he call one timeout and try to get another first down when it was 3rd-and-10? That would have been a great time for a run. If you happen to gain the first down, great. If you don't, THEN let the time run out so you don't give Mizzou back the ball. He could have run it on 2nd down, and Mizzou certainly wouldn't have been expecting it. It's not likely that it would have done worse than the no-gain they got on the pass to Lane. If it gained enough to give them a 3rd and manageable (3-5 yards), then they had every option available (with another timeout still in the bag) to use on that 3rd down. Again, if they didn't get the first down, they could still let the clock run out.

I definitely don't get abandoning the run in OT. Specially on 3rd-and-3 when you know you'll go for it on 4th. I've said it before: If you can't gain 3 yards on 2 plays with this O-line and experienced backs, you deserve to lose.

I agree 100% why we took two timeouts to the house made no sense. A draw play, a reverse to your best player, anything would have been better then letting the clock run out. That final sequence did reaffirmed what we all knew which is no matter how much we wanted Dooley to succeed the job was to much for him.

The_Mayor writes:

in response to thevoice:

Sir, coaches don't tell athletic directors what to do.

CrankE writes:

Of course Chaney won't criticize the boss's decision. Among head coaches out there (i.e. possible future employers), would torpedoing the head coach in the press help Chaney or hurt him?

This is news?

southerneagle84 writes:

in response to Vols_fan_27:

The running game has definitely not been what everyone had hoped but there's no denying that the Offense has produced just about every week... Like I have said before... with just an average defense, there is no talk of Dooley being fired this year... but it is what it is and time to move on...GBO!

we've rushed for 1,630yds so far this year, thats with our starter sitting for 3 games... only 1,264yds on the season last year...

Dickattrade writes:

We could make one of three choices if we want.
1.Fire Hart and elevate Dooley to AD and hire a new coach.
2. Offer Sal a LB coaching position,fire the two secondary coaches than hire a DC and one secondary coach and save a ton of buyout dollars. 3. send everyone packing.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to thevoice:

Since when do coaches " allow" the AD to do anything?
One of us doesn't understand the chain of command.

PHAT_VOL writes:

Theres all the YACK about Dooley may stay or Dooley may go and who will be the coach and coaching possiblities. When our coach may already be with us.

I think coach Chaney would be a desent choise for a head coach. IF one is needed.

budd#207344 writes:

in response to The_Mayor:

Really? An intelligent poster? Did Saban go 0 fer in conference when he was at Mich. St? Did Miles? Did he change his defense in a critical year? The decision making has not improved, the change in defense was ridiculous. The running off of quality coaches rather than get rid of a dope smoking wide receiver was a major stupid move. The constant running down of his players to the media. Need I go on? This guy has NEVER won at any level. Why do you continue to defend an incompetent coach. He may be the nicest guy in the world but he is not a head coach. And you're saying so won't change it.

KINGKONG writes:

Anytime you give up 50 points the d-line did not play a good game.When Monte Kiffin was the DC he realized UT didnt have the talent on d-line so he let them rush the passer every down and they were responsible for one gap .Because he knew what the F@%$ he was doing when it came down to defense

ournextguest writes:

in response to traderjoe:

Fire Hart...if it's true he hired Sal. Why are we paying him $750,000.00 anyways??? Way too much for any AD. Cut his salary in half and if he doesn't like it, let him walk.

Yes...Send Hart & Cheeks packing.

10Vol85 writes:

in response to lemme_axya_this:

Since when do coaches " allow" the AD to do anything?
One of us doesn't understand the chain of command.

This isn't a master to slave relationship. Thevoice is correct. Dooley has a contract. As long as he didn't violate it, he had the ability to push back to an extent. Dooley didn't have a lot of leverage with the public because of his record but a coach that lets the AD mettle, isn't likely to be highly successful.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to willtowin:

You've just gone off the reservation. All this was about is your statement that there has been no improvement during Dooley's tenure. It wasn't about anything else. I am definitely a Vol fan. I do not like mediocrity. I want my Vols to win every game running away, and I expect them to win every game, no matter what the odds are. I watched the Bama game this season expecting a win. No matter what logical arguments my brain put up, every other part of my being expected to win.

Again, this wasn't about any of the things you said in your reply. It was only about the fact that there has been plenty of improvement, unfortunately, that improvement hasn't translated into wins -- yet.

The_Mayor writes:

in response to 10Vol85:

Wait...is your argument FOR a written contract where both parties agree to, commit to and sign to, or is your argument AGAINST a contract? You can't have it both ways. If you fire Dooley, you rescind on your promise to the contract. I don't understand your double standard.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

This is a fact! Not one damn poster on here knows what will happen with the Vols next week, never mind next year. Me included. Reading this blog is fun though.

GBO - Wait Till Year After Next

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to budd#207344:

Playing Devil's advocate, did Saban or Miles have to play at least 5 or 6 ranked conference opponents per season back then? Did they have stretches where they played 5 ranked conference opponents in consecutive weeks? While trying to rebuild from a roster with 64 scholarship players?

Now, about that defensive change. It's very easy for us to look at it with our 20/20 hindsight and say it was a disastrous move. However, if you look at it rationally from the pre-season perspective, it looks a little different. Forget that any major change, on either side of the ball, in what is obviously a critical year for Dooley's job security might not be a great idea. Remember that the DC had left, along with several others. Now, consider the returning players on the defense, and how that defense had performed last year. Predicting there would be a learning curve and there would be breakdowns is something everybody did, including Dooley. Thinking there would be as many breakdowns, and as many huge, costly breakdowns as there have been, is something NOBODY did -- including you and me.

Knowing the offense would be as good as it is (we all knew that), it was perfectly natural and logical to think the power of the offense would be such that, even with the expected defensive learning curve and breakdowns, we would still be able to win more games than we lost. We came damn close in many of them, but NOBODY THOUGHT the defense would be so bad that this record-breaking offense wouldn't be enough to win.

In hindsight, I guarantee you Dooley wishes he hadn't made those defensive changes, just like Fulmer wishes he hadn't caved to the pressure to go to a spread and hire Clawson. My hope is that we are able to keep most of the offensive firepower for next season, and we allow the defense to mature. I'd hate to see it all set back by the kind of impatience that cost Fulmer his job.

No matter what happens, I will still support the team and the coaches, whoever they may be.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to 10Vol85:

More than likely, Dooley's contract gives him the power to hire and fire his assistants. Very few coaches would have it any other way. Sure, the AD can make suggestions and have input, but he's normally the head coach's boss and the head coach is the assistant coaches' boss. If I were a head coach, I wouldn't have it any other way. My future and my livelihood depends on my success, and I wouldn't let somebody else pick the assistant coaches I'm depending on for my success. Period.

budd#207344 writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

I will focus on the defensive change. Everyone who heard this and knew what they were saying (analysts, coaches, players, etc.)said that this defense takes at least two years to master. You have recruited to the 4-3 for 100 years. And you choose a DC who had never introduced the defense at this level in his life. It does not take 20/20 hindsight. I told my neighbor this will not work and it has not. I am not that smart but even I saw the train wreck coming. Dooley should have too

VolsUpsetYetAnother writes:

Any offensive cord could score points with Bray/Patterson/Hunter/Rogers. The real super star(s) this year was our offensive line! Thats all we had + Patterson on special teams. Here's an idea; we keep getting these good JUCO players so why the heck won't they go find a JUCO kicker??? AND punter???? As for defense... GET RID OF EVERY COACH ON THAT SIDE OF BALL. GO GET SOME JUCO DB'S and LB's and let's start again. As for Dooley and this whole running the clock out with :38 seconds and two TO's; that was stupid. And he has made about a half dozen other bad coaching decisions that have put his team behind the 8 ball. Did he learn from his mistakes??? Can we trust that he can coach at this level and make the right calls when the pressure is on???? Can he manage the clock??? These are the questions that scare me the most. All I know is this; recruits aren't signing with us right now, and the position we are hurting the most in (DB's) we just had our 4* decommit. Point being, we CAN NOT wait two more games to let the recruit world know what is going to happen with the coaches! Every month we wait is setting back our program a season. Throw your sack on the table Hart! Does a win or lose with Vandy and/or KY really tip the scale? It's obvious that our defense (or lack there of) have costs us every game. Sal should have already been fired and replaced. Why NO BACKUP PLANS WITH OUR COACHES???? Get out of the office more often and court other coaches JUST IN CASE SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAPPENS. My My My...

Vol1968 writes:

in response to The_Mayor:

I so agree

Vol1968 writes:

No one can build a quality program overnight. Dooley has been building a strong foundation. The wins will come.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to VolsUpsetYetAnother:

BTW, Palardy is 4th in the conference in yards per punt. During the years of Dustin and Britton Colquitt (both now NFL starting punters), Palardy's current average was only beaten in three of their seven seasons, and only once by more than a yard. We have a pretty good punter right now. What we need is somebody who can hit a FG from 40+ yards out.

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

I say hire Cutcliffe and retain Chaney as O cord. Cutcliffe would want a more PA and run oriented offense which would mesh well with Chaney's pass happy offense. In my opinion a Cutcliffe/Chaney coaching duo would be a great tandem. Go out and hire a def cord with a proven record, go back to a 4-3 and balance will be restored on good ol Rocky Top!! And you won't have to break the bank doing it. Gruden wants at least 5 mil a year for 10 years. UT will never pay that kind of cash for a coach..

VolFolks writes:

in response to tennesseefan2:

Sounds like he just said it was Dooley's fault. He does what Dooley says. Isn't that what he said?

He didn't balme nor critize coach Dooley. Under the circumstances of having 7 new coaches and still rebuilding a team that was taken down to almost nothing only 3 years ago, I think the Vols and coaches did a decent job this year.

I am disappointed in the final win/loss record. But we have shown overall improvement and competiveness with several last minute losses that very well could have been wins.

Unless we get beat by Vandy and Kentucky, I believe coach Dooley deserves another year.

Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious writes:

The majority of the Tennessee fan base has already given up on Dooley. If Dooley is retained, no matter who they hire at D cord, there will be many empty seats next year. Financially, how could they afford to keep Dooley? Wouldn't the massive amount of unsold seats outweigh his buyout?? Seems like an easy decision for Hart to make to me if you look at from a purely financial point of view..

VolsUpsetYetAnother writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

He's ranked #117 in the Nation D1. averaging 43 yards per punt. He should just throw the ball... Granny style... As for field goals; i've seen better middle school kickers. He's a bust!

VolsUpsetYetAnother writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

And he is ranked 14th in the conference not 4th. Dead last. With Matt Darr right behind him in 15th.

southerneagle84 writes:

in response to Vol1968:

if we had more fans like you there would be a far less negative vibe around our program. coaches and players can feel the negativitiy, and they have done well not to let it really get to them, like last year. i was at the missouri game this weekend and was disappointed in the attitude from our fans. so negative toward the coaches.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to VolsUpsetYetAnother:

Don't be stupid. You're looking at ranking based on TOTAL PUNTING YARDS. Try sorting it by yards per punt. Are you honestly saying a guy averaging 40 yards per punt is better than a guy averaging 43 yards per punt, just because he has a lot more total yardage? Steven Clark at Auburn is ranked #2 in the conference in total yardage, which is way ahead of Palardy, but he also has punted 54 times compared to Palardy's 24. Total yards means absolutely nothing.

Only three teams in the SEC have punted fewer times than the Vols, which is a good thing, specially considering none of them run the no-huddle offense the Vols do. That means we have more offensive drives and probably the lowest percentage of drives ending in punts (although I don't think anybody keeps that stat).

According to that ESPN site, Palardy ranks 7th in the conference in average. cfbstats.com puts him 6th. His average this season puts him well within Colquitt territory. Darr trails him by 4 yards/punt and would be last in the conference -- he sucks.

As a team, we rank near the bottom of the conference in average punting, but that's because, with the low number of punts, Darr's krappy average and Bray's pooches bring us down.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to VolsUpsetYetAnother:

How do you manage to even dress yourself? Averaging 43 yards per punt makes him 38th nationally, not 117th. To be fair, you should also remove from the rankings anybody who has punted less than 10 times. There are four guys listed ahead of him who've kicked it 1, 2 or 6 times total. Three of them are QBs. So, I'd say among actual punters, he ranks 34th nationally in punting average. If you've seen better middle school punters, you must have been on Kryton or Asgard.

The_Mayor writes:

in response to Mama_Also_Calls_Me_Precious:

Wrong. Short sighted. Wins breed attendance...period. That's all it would take...an opening day win, just exactly as it did this season with NC State, would create instant Vol fan hysteria. A string of wins, and instantly, we're back to searching high and low for any available ticket. That's the way fan reaction works, like it or not.

volinlm writes:

in response to volfan1202:

He's probably waiting for your ok.