wildmed writes:

What an embarrassing output, hardly the stuff of hope for the future. On the other hand, maybe this is the worst they will play all year. Good to get it out of the way early. Now they know some aspects of their game that must improve. Go Vols!

Sir_Spanky writes:

Ugh!

GerryOP writes:

in response to GiveHim6TDTennessee:

I'm sure the all knowing Gerry will be along shortly to enlighten us with his exceptional knowledge of what transpired today... Until then, here are my thoughts.

Our guards played some of the most pathetic basketball that I have ever seen in my years as a Tennessee fan. This includes the Buzz Peterson era. 26% FG shooting throughout the entirety of a college basketball game should be punishable by law. Couple that with 22% 3pt. shooting and 64% ft. shooting, and you have a disaster.

Our guards are just totally clueless when the defense makes any sort of adjustment. They look like they've never seen a full court press or any sort of double team in their entire lives. How many times did we settle for a long range 3 that OKST simply gave us? McBee is here for one reason and one reason only, to make threes. He was 1-4 and his looks were open, for the most part.

I like the fact that Golden "can" score, but shooting 8 three pointers at the PG position is unheard of. That is not the sign of a mature point guard and I can't believe I started to give him credit yesterday for being any sort of leader. Leaders do not chuck up shots from the arc, they settle the game down, recognize advantages and exploit them. Golden was exploited all game.

In the first half, OKST shot 10 free throws to our 2. Isn't this team supposed to be predicated upon low post play? Give me the "ohhh we don't have Maymon" garbage all you want, this team is trying to be a jump shot team, which THEY ARE NOT.

Oklahoma State had 24 points in the paint with a Tennessee washout and slashing guards. Wanna take a guess how many points our dominant down low posts, sleeper NCAA tournament run, SEC contender team had?................... 10. Ten points in the paint over a 40 minute span. Numbers like that show exactly why we lost. This team doesn't have the guard play (or brains, apparently) to recognize that Stokes has kids buried 6 feet under down low and instead, we shoot threes!! We're talking wide open threes, too. 21%......... To heck with it, chuck up another, I'm sure this time it'll go in. Stokes must be frustrated...

It's like I said yesterday, McBee is a great shooter but he is too easy to key on and gets taken out of games by athletic defenders. He doesn't have the speed to play good defense and gets taken advantage of game after game.

We played a good team, don't get me wrong, but I expect much more out of a team that prides itself on defense, post play and strength. We lost all three battles today, BADLY. Their motion offense left our mighty defense clueless time after time after time. Our guards should take note on ball reversal and the advantages it presents your posts with. If you're gonna run a motion, look for the cuts.

I know it will get better and that the season is early but these types of performances will get you a 2nd round matchup of the NIT vs MTSU again, quickly. Sorry that I'm not sorry if you disagree or don't like the honesty, Go Vols.

Congratulations, you're predictions from yesterday were right! You get a gold star and 10 e-cred points.

Even I, with my positive outlook and optimism, can't find anything good to say! I hope they enjoyed the party last night.

TheEffect writes:

Looks like another NIT year for Tennessee. Hang another NIT Appearance banner from the rafters!!

GerryOP writes:

Don't forget, the mighty Golden Grizzlies come to visit after Thanksgiving! In the words of Goose to Maverick, "C'mon 'Zo, time to do some of that coachin' shi ... errr ... stuff."

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to VOLSnTITANS:

Horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE…absolute pathetic display of basketball. No offense, horrific shooters, nobody that can make a post move w/o traveling, embarrassing free throw shooting, and an overrated defense that gives up too many busted plays and routinely bails out the offense with fouls.

What scares me the most is how grossly outcoached our team was. Out motivated, out willed, out energized, NO ADJUSTMENTS, NO ANSWERS. Came out the 2nd half and fired up 3 long-range jump shots that didn’t have a chance. If this were a chess match OK ST was always 3 moves ahead of us. I have watched all 3 games this season and have seen ZERO improvement from any player from last year. I like Stokes, seems like a nice guy, but he is just a big body with no post moves and cinderblocks for feet and hands. Don’t even get me started on Golden and his careless shot selection, was there a Kenny Hall sighting today (oh wait I think I saw him tackle someone out of frustration and get called for the foul), and who is #32 and why is he on the court?

With such pathetic and inconsistent shooters, I hate to say this team is incapable of making a run in a tournament. There will be a few highs this season and many lows.

Lucky for me, I’ve gotten used to mediocrity as a VOLS fan so I’ll be over this loss in 5 min.

Don't see where we were grossly outcoached at all. OSU put the ball in the hands of Nash and Smart; 2 very good players and they did what they always do.Score or get fouled. Nothing brilliant about that.Biggest mistake I saw Martin make was he made a substitution with less than 5 minutes gone in the game.He put in Edwards and Moore instead of McRae..Edwards wasted no time in throwing up 2 3 point bricks;2 shots he had no business taking. For most of the first 10 minutes of the game Martin ran his normal offense and things would have been fine had we not been shooting something like 21%..Seeing that Stokes was doing nothing in the post and the refs were calling fouls left and right;Martin could have sent McRae and Golden driving the lane or thrown a little zone defense at them in the first half before things got out of hand. Even John Wooden doesn't have a counter attack for shooting like 21% in the first half

BigOrangeFreak writes:

in response to TheEffect:

When we get Maymon back you can revise this post.

Vols will make the NCAA tourney. May not go very far, but they'll make it.

JDX47 writes:

in response to TheEffect:

You know the NIT is the oldest of the tournaments out there...it is the original tournament for NCAA Bball. What's wrong with being a part of that outstanding tradition.

BigOrangeFreak writes:

in response to JDX47:

Perhaps you were just being sarcastic JDX, but shooting for the NIT is now kinda like a football team having a preseason goal of reaching the Chick-Fil-A Bowl.

However, in UT's case....

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to VOLSnTITANS:

Much of what you say seems to be spot on. Stokes is everything you say he is.Seems his feet never leaves the floor more than a few inches.Stokes was rated 5 stars.That should have been 3 plus as of today.This is what you get when all you can recruit is 3 star and below athletes.

reg_mza#219136 writes:

Honestly, did not watch the game but kept up with stats on ESPN Gametracker.

This game reads like:
A. A young TN team that is not used to getting up and getting ready to play on less than 24 hours notice.
B. It is not easy to get up to play another highly competitive game in less than 24 hours.
C. It is early on and not everything is supposed to jell immediately, even with the returning experience.
D. Maymon in the offense makes them far more dynamic as they can't just double team Stokes in the low block and then pressure shooters to shoot erratically.

Give it time, it's early, and we should be hitting on all cylinders once Maymon returns healthy and is in playing shape. Remember last year was a bit like this before we got Stokes then we really took off once he was inserted into the lineup.

signalcorps writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Sometimes 19 and 20 year olds have bad games.... it's unfortunate when they all have them at the same time.

Too early in the season to get too worked up over this one loss.

yes they do,,they have talent just young just a matter of time before they're playing good ball,,,let them run coach let them run let that be their trade mark....

Ironcity writes:

in response to reg_mza#219136:

Honestly, did not watch the game but kept up with stats on ESPN Gametracker.

This game reads like:

The other team had the same issues. Additionally the other team 9ok St.) is younger. Bad game all around. Team has a lot of work in front of it.

underthehill writes:

Had to think about this one a while before I could even come to the conclusion I saw what I think I saw..I think the strong finish last year in the SEC race may have fueled unrealistic expectations on my part..without Maymon (at his best)..this is not even close to the same team..I expect every team to double and triple team Stokes and when he puts it on the floor..something bad is about to happen..when he does get it to an open man..we are not getting it to the basket..Hall did alright with the hamburger guys in the first 2 games..couldn't handle the steak in this game..when the going is tough..the tough get going..we miss Maymon..

thepitts writes:

Boy, talk about pathetic. They looked like they were asleep. And, this has been the case in all three games this year. It is just that this was the worst! I have not seen any improvement from last year. I know they talk about Cuonzo being being emotionless, always the same temperament, etc. (blah, blah, blah), but the team plays the same way. There is not an exciting bone in the UT Basketball team's body! This isn't going to cut it in the SEC. Looks like everyone has already figured out C. Martin's team. Did you notice last night and today how often TN was taken down to the wire on the shot clock? Their offense can't deal with a zone. They can't get the ball inside for a decent shot. It just might be a long year, a longer one next year, and then...Sorry, I just do not like Martin's coaching style. I don't like this team.

richvol writes:

What does this say about UT verses Akron...yes Akron. It took OT for OK St. to squeeze by them.

reg_mza#219136 writes:

in response to Ironcity:

True, but those are issues for that team to address. We won't know the true UT Vols team until after Maymon returns, roles fill in, and offensive continuity start to mesh. But yes, lots of work, as expected, and just a bad game all around.

I consider this a toss out game as far as dwelling too much on it. Even in the NCAA tourney there is more time between games, this felt more like a badly scheduled SEC tourney game.

I still toss it out as an aberration due to the circumstances. Now if we lose to Austin Peay (or this year's equivalent, Western Carolina or Presbyterian) again this year, then I'll worry.

VolunteerLifer writes:

I understand that it's early and it's just one game and the opponent is a good team and all that. But my view of this team didn't include the possibility of getting beat by 17 points on a neutral floor by any team. This team was supposed to be so good defensively that they would stay in any game. I'm going to try not to put too much emphasis on this one game, but it is disturbing.

oldster writes:

in response to JDX47:

Dude, don't dis Chaminade (spelled with a C)...this group could lose to them. I remember them taking out Ralph Sampson and the Number 1 ranked Cavaliers in the 80's. We better go with a "some such."

You are right, sorry. I did not get enough sleep last night. I was celebrating good news. It has been so long since I, a Vol fan, had had a reason to celebrate, I had forgotten how and got carried away. However, I would point out that that UVA team was vastly over-rated (as was Samson) and was, I believe, the only big time team that the host, Hawaii team has beaten in their own tournament. Then, again, that was my point - UT will be beaten by a much lower seed in the NCAA tournament and be a big let down after building us up.

oldster writes:

in response to utvolorange:

45 really?????? round ball goes in round hoop, sounds stupid but if you cant do it then you look stupid.

It really sounds bad when you realize that two regulation size basketballs will go through that hoop at one time and UT's guys still can't get one to pass through it at a rate much higher than 1 in 4.

jt45 writes:

After watching some of the SEC teams the last few days, I think Florida looks like the team to beat but I havent seen A&M yet or Missouri. I wish some news would surface on Maymon. I dont know what happened since yesterday that caused such a turnaround, even if you take into account 1 or 2 having a cold shooting day, that still does not explain why the whole team played so poorly. Was coach Martin asleep also because the whole team (coaches included acted like they just wanted to get it over with)This was a different team than what ive seen so far this year. They looked just like the group that lost to Austin Peay. Wich team will show up next ? I hope they flip the switch back on before the next game.

oldster writes:

in response to VinylVols:

I really don't think McBee is starting material and should be coming off the bench during games. He's a great 3 pointer, but that is it. You can't afford having a bad start to a game because he's on, he should come on when we have a lead and we can open it up and extend that lead. I think McRae is a better player, even though he didn't play well today, but he is better at coming in and shooting short jumpers and also taking it to the rim. I think that would be a start, switching around the starters.

Golden, McRae, Richardson, Stokes and Hall would be a better starting lineup.

On another note, Richardson is actually really impressing me.

McBee should not start, I agree. However, he is better than the options. That alone should explain why the Vols are not going to be much. I disagree that he is a good 3 point shooter. I keep hearing that, but just saying something over and over again does not make it so. What is his shooting percentage for the year? What is it for his career? Neither indicate even a mediocre shooter, much less a great one. The fact that he IS the Vols best shooter is yet another reason that the Vols are not going to amount to much (1st round out in NCAA, probably). The fact that he was not recruited and is still the Vols best shooter also indicates what Martin's priorities are and why the Vols have difficulty scoring.

notorange writes:

in response to jt45:

The play by play guys said Maymon was stll limping noticeably, i'm beginning to think that he may be injured worse than anyone is saying.

oldster writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

You guys bashing Stokes are clueless. He has 2-3 guys on him every time he touches the ball! There is no threat from any of our guards to hit a jump shot so they double and triple him every time he touches it. He is still putting up decent numbers but until #34 comes back he will be the entire focal point of opposing defenses.I told you guys that without Maymon UT would be bad and here it was on full display.

I criticized Stokes, do not apologize for it, and DO have a clue. I am aware of his being double and triple teamed as well as the fact that there is no offensive help on this team. However, just because no one else can hit an open shot, does that give him an excuse for not being able to make the open shots he does get? He jammed the ball into the bottom of the rim on an attempted reverse jam. He missed as close to uncontested a left hand hook a foot in front of the basket as any big man is likely to get. He missed a put back without a hand in his face. These are three that I remember and watched (I had to quit watching because I was trying to eat lunch and the Vols were making me sick to my stomach)for which he has no excuse and no reason except that he is not a good shooter. Perhaps that explains why he was attracted to UT and Martin. It is obvious that both look for BB players who cannot shoot.

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

in response to BigOrangeFreak:

When we get Maymon back you can revise this post.

Vols will make the NCAA tourney. May not go very far, but they'll make it.

Excuse University is alive and well.. Beat Austin Peay before you start thinking NCAA. Your team just scored a lousy 40+ points and your making an excuse over one average SEC player. .

Tiger4Life writes:

cant wait for Jan 4th! That is gonna be fun

LSG410EC83 writes:

3 games into the season and a majority on here already have us gone. Yes it was a loss. Yes our scoring was non-existant. Has anyone let it enter thier thought process that Oklahoma State may have been a better team than many thought? I have no doubt adjustments will be made. It is early in the season. If this is going to happen, now is the time. Going to take a lot more than this to get me in as negative mood as most here. As for McBee. He is what he is. Has more hustle than most college players. Is our best three point shooter and definely the best free throw shooter we have. May not be the best in the country, but the best we have right now. If you look at his stats, you will see he has progressively got better each year. Soooo, before spouting off about anyone on this team, look up the stats. Today goes in the loss column, but its over. Gotta look forward. I AM STILL PROUD TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL. GO BIG ORANGE. Class of 83.

BigOrangeFreak writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Shouldn't you be off at the Commodores pep rally?

Better hurry up and get there; the other 6 fans are wondering where you're at.

BigOrangeFreak writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

I do love Austin Peay's cheer though:

Let's go Peay!

(And Maymon averaged 12.8 pts a game and 8.1 rebounds a game for us last year. I hardly think that qualifies as an "average SEC player.")

Of course you being a Vandy Troll, are well acquainted with the term average.

BigOrangeSmoker writes:

team had no energy atall but then again when ya aint got no coach what do you expect,Martin needs to go worse than Dooley does

ACWLY writes:

It's a long season, we'll be back! Right?

exlineman writes:

I haven't seen Tn. play this yr.,but last year it seemed to me when the ball was thrown to McBee, someone was already in his face. Beleive if the ball was thrown sooner, he might be able to score more effectively. He is a little slow on defense and maybe a zone is something to think about when we are playing fast teams. Beleive this team might get alot better before the season is over. Look forward to watching them play. Go big orange.

in response to LSG410EC83:

Have to agree with you. Really had me wondering if this was actually the same team I watched agains Kennesaw St. As for OKST., will be interesting to see how they pan out in the final game and the season. I know our offense stunk, but is OKSt. actually a little better team than many thought they would be? Smart and Nash are good players and Jurich has improved more than I ever thought he would or he just played well against a team he used to be on. I do wonder, as you posted, if Coach allows them to at times try to do it their way so he can teach them that it will not work. Don't know, but feel like this can be a good lesson early in a long season. Feel we will see some difference in the next game. GO BIG ORANGE.

OK State is the preseason pick for third in the Big 12 behind Kansas and Baylor, so they aren't just some bunch of chumps. They surely did make the Vols look like chumps today, though. I just didn't see much energy or enthusiasm out of the Vols all day. They all looked like they just didn't want to be out there. As you and another poster said, it sometimes looks like CCM just lets them go when they are playing poorly in these early-season games so he has teaching points for later in the season. I hope that is the case. Until these guys learn to do what they can do well all the time and learn NOT to do what they DON'T do well all the time, ANYBODY can make them look bad because they make THEMSELVES look bad when they don't play with hustle and concentration. I have heard CCM say that he treats them like men, in that he tells them what they need to do and then holds them accountable for how they do it. I sincerely hope this is so and the guys learn from this experience. They are too good to play this way, but they surely didn't look like much today.

underthehill writes:

in response to notorange:

I'm beginning to wonder how effective he can be if he does come back..sure hope he makes it to 100%..otherwise..it don't look good..

BigBadVol writes:

in response to born2ride:

NIT

At best.

in response to BigOrangeFreak:

When we get Maymon back you can revise this post.

Vols will make the NCAA tourney. May not go very far, but they'll make it.

I'm concerned about this idea that all will be well or at least better when Maymon gets back. I'm worried that he won't BE back, or least not back like he was last year. I watched the game and heard the announcers say that they saw Maymon walking past them before the game and he had a noticeable limp. If he still has a limp now, it may be weeks before he is in anything like game shape, and he may well not get his timing and confidence back for weeks after that. His weight puts a lot of strain on two gimpy knees. The Vols have plenty of depth and talent, but everybody needs to bear down and play the way they are capable of playing every game and not just when they feel like it. They are better than they showed today and I'm sure they know it. You can bet CCM knows it and will strongly remind them of that going forward.

in response to VolunteerLifer:

Although they looked bad on defense on some individual plays, they did hold a pretty good team--preseason picked 3d in the Big 12--to 62 points, which could have been good enough to win if the Vols could have shot, say, 40% instead of 26%, and hit their free-throws as well as OK State did.

VinylVols writes:

in response to oldster:

I just think people say hes a great 3 pt shooter because last year he had a good year.
But yeah, if he's their best, they're in for some trouble.

in response to Tiger4Life:

cant wait for Jan 4th! That is gonna be fun

Yeah, but probably not as much fun for you as you think.

LSG410EC83 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Was waiting for your well thougt out post to come. Every now and then I fall into the trap of posting before I really think things over, especially when there is so much negativity after only 3 games. As far as Maymon goes, dont need to see him try to come back to soon. Team needs to practice as if he is going to redshirt. We have the depth to do it without him I believe, just the leadership to go along with his play will be hard to fill. Looking forward to another season with the Vols. Have a lot better seats this year (no more nosebleeds). Once again, appreciate your well thougth out post. IT IS GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE FAN. GO BIG ORANGE.

Bark_at_the_Moon writes:

Not sure why you guys are this surprised by this game?

doctorvol#211700 writes:

Last year's team started slowly. They finished tied for second in conference. We lost Tatum, a nice kid who played well occasionally (esp. his final game vs Vand.). Maymon is out, and I doubt everyone else has gotten worse.
EVERYONE, BACK AWAY FROM THE GUN!

Basketvol writes:

I agree that this loss isn't a big deal, making this story the best news coming out of UT today. When will it end? A win against Vandy tomorrow would help, a little bit.

GOJO writes:

in response to HooRay_Vol:

Did anyone expect Jurick to do anything as a freshman? He as a project to begin with. But he does bring size and rebounding and shut down our best player. But CBP suggested he transfer from what I understand.

*********
For more about Jurick's problems see:

ps11824 writes:

I'm sure glad I didn't give up a very painful, expensive trip to the dentist to watch this game ) ;

Govols1995 writes:

in response to VOLSnTITANS:

SPOT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brokendownoldvol writes:

Sure is great being a Tn fan right now. Thanks Hamilton.

crmcm44#321757 writes:

Sadly more of the same, looks like rerun: decent defense but no dependable shooters.

UT4prez writes:

It's one game guys and gals. Even had we won by 20 it would still have just been one game. Our talent is middle of the pack SEC talent. We played well last year in the conference by playing hard and smart. When we don't do those things this is what happens. See the Ole Miss game last year for another example. It's still entertainment for us to enjoy. No doubt it can be frustrating at times but ultimately if you don't enjoy watching or going then don't do it. We can still have a good year. The expectations were too high from a lot of people.

LSG410EC83 writes:

in response to UT4prez:

Agree 100 percent. Cant wait til they are back at TB Arena. Makes the cold winter enjoyable.