jt45 writes:

in response to BigVolinCarolina:

Firing Dooley was not a bad decision, but not allowing him to coach the final game is. I've never understood the mentality of firing a coach with one game left and not letting him coach.

Was never sold on Dooley (for several reasons), but he should be allowed to coach & say goodbye to the seniors and players in their last home game. Just my opinion.

Word on the local Sports shows is that Dooley chose not to coach the last game. Based on what Ive seen televised, it was his decision. Now of course there is no way to confirm that until all the facts are out.

redskinvol1 writes:

BOUT TIME.IF THE DEED WAS DONE LAST WEEK THE VOLS WOULD HAVE A BOWL GAME TO GO TO.

tnvol4ever writes:

Gruden could have coached the Ky game if Hart had done this last week. ESPN requires a 2 week notice.

WinkeyVol writes:

I would think that Dooley is tickled to death. He will get his buyout and be off on Saturdays.He will dabble around in law,only because he enjoys it,and be a celebrity with no hot seat attached and wear Armani suits. Why in the world would he want to coach again?

SteelerNation writes:

Good thing is we need a coach who can restore our program not rebuild it. We have talent just no direction. He not only needs to salvage this years recruiting class but our Jr. Class. Need to keep as many of them as we can. Even Bray for all you haters. CP is gone for sure. Not because of talent but because his grades are so bad there is no way he could play next year.

Tru138 writes:

in response to BankerVol:

Good riddens? Really retard?

Probably won't last long but thanks for the laugh!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Nothing but the best wishes for CDD and his family..He was a class act all the way, just not what UT needed. UT needs a proven coach that knows how to put a coaching staff together and compete in the SEC..Dave Hart, your career hinges on this hire..GBO!

bierbrewer writes:

Seeeeee Yaaaaaaa! Now get Sal out next!

dvhill100 writes:

Class, people, class. He is gone, no need for name calling, etc. He have it his best, but it wasn't good enough. He also had to be the unluckiest coach in America. The guy could not buy a break. As far as complaining about the contract, don't blame him. He was walking into a rat's nest and had to protect himself and his family. Go after Hamilton if you really must.

Anyway, would not be in favor of Petrino, too much baggage. Not sold on Gruden either with the little bit of college experience he has. Having said that, if he can give results like the Mora at UCLA, then bring him on. Great deal of satisfaction watching Coach Kiffen fail. Sorry, just the nasty side of me rearing its ugly head.

utbaby#215635 writes:

It's all to easy as fans to jump on the negative train and bash 18 - 22 year old kids and coaches for not giving us the satisfaction we want on Saturdays over watching a game. We often lose sight of the fact that the kids that play and the coaches that coach them are human and deserve more respect than we give them. Few of us can hold up to the level of scrutiney in our jobs that these kids & coaches hold up to in theirs. Most of us would wilt under similar pressure. But the hard truth is that it is a business and despite the finiky fans opinion, it come down to profit and loss. These kids that came to play for the University of Tennessee deserve our utmost respect for committing their time to and giving their all to playing a game and going to school. Few of us have that level of dedication. I still watch every game and will continue to do so. Thanks to the players and coaches for giving your all.

tensie2004 writes:

Anyone that gets a 5 million dollar buy out for NOT doing the job he was hired to do is not a good man of solid character. He is a slick lawyer that looked out for his own future rather than the well being of Big Orange Country. When Dooley says he will not take the 5 million buy out I will say he is a man of high character but until then he is a snake in the grass that has almost totally ruined our football program while making millions of dollars off of loyal volunteer fans. This is not a man of high character but a lawyer trying to be a college coach.

manniesghost1903 writes:

in response to UT_Braddah:

Okay all of you classless, immature brats, go ahead and let us know what candidates you will find acceptable, so that the University can make sure you're happy with the hire. Because God knows, if you disagree with the hire the "culture of negativity" will only continue. Because, of course, you know exactly who should and should not coach this team.

I love Dooley, and know he's a good man. But I agree he had to go. But some of you bums show absolutely no class or compassion for a GOOD MAN who took the job that none of your dream coaches would take, gave it his all, suffered some of the worst luck and toughest schedule imaginable, and demonstrated true character that you LACK and will never have.

My rant ain't about Dooley...he needed to go. I think he'll spend a few years as an assistant and then reemerge as a very attractive HC candidate.

My post is about YOU...bunch of weak, classless, heartless, whining, ungrateful, unrealistic, spoiled, know-it-all, quitters.

To bad you didn't give Phil Fulmer this kind of respect 4 years ago. Your half right about one thing. Derek Dooley will emerge a possible HC candidate but it will take more than a few years. He needs to do an awful lot of learning (at least 10 years worth).

Letskeepitreal writes:

I appreciate the dedication and class Dooley brought to our university, but he was in over his head. I don't know if it was wrong place, wrong time, but I wish CDD and his family nothing but the best. Time to move on. I will support my university, and hopefully the administration makes the right moves going forward. Go Vols!!....let our future be bright!!!!...Our student athletes deserve it.

TheStupidPolice writes:

in response to UT_Braddah:

Explain why my post is stupid? Is something untrue?

Is he a good man? Was he wrong for moving up and taking a better job that NOBODY wanted? Was he unethical or lazy? He worked his tail off and tried his very best. But, he wasn't successful so he had to go.

But what did he do to deserve the immature hatred?

"YOU have damaged this program with your classless negativity. What coach with other job opportunities would come here? What players with other opportunities will come here?" STUPID! Fans all over the country are like this. Read any message board of a struggling team. According to your logic, after this season, no recruit will ever want to go to Iowa, Virginia Tech, Arkansas, Auburn, Cal, USC... ever again.
"I think he'll spend a few years as an assistant and then reemerge as a very attractive HC candidate." STUPID! He'll never be the head coach of a major team again.

CMKSIDESHOW writes:

I wish Dooley well, im sure the with the 5 million dollar buyout he will not be hurting nor with the parents he has had his whole life. I will not shed a tear for somebody who basically walked away with 5 million dollars while producing one of the worst products on the filed ever, and it wasn't the talent , those kids were talented just not coached very well. JON GRUDEN WILL BE THE NEXT COACH at UT. Brighter days ahead.

OklaVOL writes:

in response to UT_Braddah:

Well Said.

wigmeister writes:

in response to UT_Braddah:

Wonderful post!

kjvols writes:

Dooley did at least leave a team than can compete next year with a proven coach.

VolsFanInAfghanistan writes:

So our AD is supposedly going to do a "close to the vest search without outside input". Look I am like roughly 70% of the Vol fans in here, Coach Dooley maybe a good man off the field to some, and maybe not to others. All of us can't be there to see what this man is like day in and day out. I'm sure Coach Dooley gave it his all, but like we all know the SEC is a very competitive league. Theres a lot that has to be done to get these kids to where we need them. I'm happy that he got the chance to turn our program around and start that foundation, but the next guy needs to be hard on them and fair. We need someone that wants to bring Tennessee up in the SEC. We can't truly go back to the glory days, but we can make new glory days with the right hire. I for one am going to always be a Volunteer, good, bad or indifferent. One other point, we truly can do without the name calling for sure. I know theres recruits out there checking websites such as this and seeing all that i'm not sure I would want my kid coming somewhere like that with grown ups resorting to name calling because of football.

orangevolman writes:

in response to UT_Braddah:

Explain why my post is stupid? Is something untrue?

But what did he do to deserve the immature hatred?

You can't argue with stupid... err, I mean the stupid police.

I agree with your original post.

BubbaTN writes:

I really do believe Dooley gave his all for Tennessee. He really had no chance. Almost like a Janitor in a CEO position. I wish him the best and hopefully we can hire a proven winner as the next coach.

stovepipedrinker writes:

Let's just hope that 2010-2012 seasons will go down in Vol football history with an "*" beside them.

stormblast writes:

Petrino quit and left the Falcons before their season even ended. Then he embarrassed Arkansas by having an affair.

Tennessee doesn't need this. He's a proven quitter and trouble maker.

It would be Kiffen Part Deux.

kesterja#235578 writes:

in response to UT_Braddah:

Amen! I agree a change was in order. I kept hoping my mind would be changed. I think Dooley is a great guy, and I think he made strides. Game management just seemed so lacking. I hope we hear of Dooley doing great things in the future. He is a class act. Folks who were instantly against him do nothing except damage our attractiveness to.future coaches and recruits.

61NCVol writes:

in response to dirtmerchant:

Dooley is a good man, a solid person with excellent character. I will miss his candor, humor, and wit with the media, unlike so many coaches who simply give 'coach speak' responses. I've grown to like him these three quick years and hate to see him go out like this. Of course losing sucks, and winning is a huge criteria, but Dooley had great personality and character and was dedicated to the program. Win-Loss record aside, Derek was a great ambassador for UT, and amid the on-field losses a lot of good inside the program. He's a first class guy. I wish you well Coach Dooley.

I agree. Firing him had to be done, but I sure don't feel good about it. Kind of like shooting Ole Yeller.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to derekpanda415:

I would like to say even though he was a terrible coach he still came to work every Saturday with the exception of yesterday but here's my coaching candidates

1. AL Golden
2. Mike Gundy
3. Jon Gruden

Gruden is such a long shot and truth be told you dont really know what your gonna get and at this point thats the last thing we need

If UT could get Gundy I would be thrilled. I honestly could care less about Gruden. We've turned the page and I'm excited about the future. Hopefully, UT will get a good coach. I miss those 8,9,10 win seasons we had under Fulmer.

BubbaTN writes:

Dont be surprised if Tuberville makes this list! Not sure he would be my pick but does know the SEC very well.

Madkels writes:

"Hart, who has been AD for a little more than one year, is expected to conduct a close-to-the-vest search with little outside input."

Lets hope he has been on the search for months and has someone ready to sign next Monday. If not, Hart is not the man we need to lead the athletic department.

AtopTheHill06 writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

One correction to the article, the Florida game wasn't close.

Regarding Dooley, he was awful from day one. But the next guy will do about the same after 3 years.

I expect UT to take a major step back next year regardless of the coach. We're talking 4-8 at best next year.

Correction, you and all gator fans HOPE the next guy will do the same.

Jenna1009 writes:

I agree with most of what Iowa Vol said but I disagree on the coaching the Ky game. Dooley helped the program even though he didn't make us a winning program. His players stayed out of trouble for the most part. I think his role is a behind the scenes part and that he will do well. Who ever takes over needs to really pay attention to past history. Fulmer firing and Dooley firing has a lot in common. Had Dooley paid attention to Fulmers last season he might have survived this year. Lets not make this personal and give Dooley credit for what he has done.

jacob0391 writes:

Does anyone no what channel or where it will be shown for his conference at 2pm

bspurlingcac#225603 writes:

You don’t want to be the guy to follow a legendary coach (Phil)…you want to follow the guy(s) that did.

Phil was the man for around 16+ years. Lane was not here long enough to be the guy that followed the man. Dooley was and he did some things to set up the next guy. It was unfortunate for Dooley that he could never get over the hump and now must go. (I supported Dooley…however he has lost the team completely after the Missouri game). A change is now necessary.

This next hire is critical to the success of the UT football/Athletic program for the next 20 years. The next Head Football Coach at the University of Tennessee will need to be a proven winner every where he has been, dynamic recruiter, no NCAA problems, heck of a motivator, outstanding X & O’s coach and leader of men etc. He will not come cheap…now is the time to make a statement if the program is going to move forward and get back to greatness.

The University leaders need to put up huge funding for the Head Coach and make a grand commitment to the whole assistant coaching/weight training staff. The facilities are in place and the fan base is hurting for a significant hire.

We will all be watching for the next move. Go Big Orange!

Vols20 writes:

in response to kjvols:

Get Petrino Nowwwwwww!

Yes bring in a guy who has no character/integrity. Stupid. CDD didn't win, but he did bring and establish some integrity in the program. Do things like this not cross your mind?

Rockytop_Engineer writes:

Seems to me the best thing Vol fans can do is show up for the Kentucky game. The seniors deserve the support.

Sincere thanks to the Dooley family. They bought in, and we aren't where we are for lack of effort.

Vol-Believr writes:

Bob Stoops

voodoo101 writes:

Well congratulations "sports fans"; you got your wish. By the way a lot of us who've suffered through corporate rule have seen last nights play before - usually too many times. A new boy at the top decides to shuffle the organization, and the organization goes into corporate shock and quits working - eventually it comes back - usually in time for the next reshuffle. Anyway...

And for those of you who liked Lane - thought he was "Wonder Boy" - notice his magic at USC; only a complete incompetent could manage failure at USC. That will be fun to shovel out for the next coach there, too - but apparently not next year.

So funny though that the "corporate shock" came when it did, and the team rolled over and died just in time for Vandy - that really sticks in your craw, doesn't it - right up there with knowing Dooley is going to be rich for doing nothing? So have fun on the next ride; what you really deserve is another death penalty in waiting like Lane. You know with some real support this might have worked out. The next question is whether the fans will be as polarized with the next coach as the country has become with presidents; you sure set it in motion. But you did win.

orangeman1 writes:

in response to kjvols:

And Dooley also gave us some exciting games this year, even against ranked competition. UT was in every game this year except Bama and the Vandy debacle. Goota admit, it was some exciting football.

Pipe_Down_Otis writes:

I think Bray got benched for smarting off after the pick to one of the coaches. I hope whoever the new coach is, the first thing he does is slap the QB and WR, in fact the whole team and say, ya'll ain't runnin' this show any more.

UTKin1992 writes:

Why is everyone kissing this losers @ss?? He took the program to an all time low and in the process gets paid more than any of you will ever see! All for doing absolutely nothing more than what any normal, garden variety fan could do.

Cut the boy scout - great guy - horse$h!t. Makes me wanna puke.

BolivrBob writes:

Golden - no. Average coach at best and would never leave a dream job like Miami. don't see him making it there any way. He will be fired in a few years

The Kellys - No. They aren't leaving what they have going.

Petersen - A good maybe. TCU is not a dream job.

Gruden - (?) Pie in the sky.

Petrino - The obvious choice, Can coach his arse off. Hasn't done anything anybody else hasn't done morally, including Fulmer. We aren't looking for a Pope. Put a morals clause in his contract. He probably has learned his lesson anyway. This is a no-brainer to me, unless this Gruden hype has any truth to it, which I don't believe it does.

Petrino will be the new coach.

webgent writes:

in response to UT_Braddah:

Very well said. Most of these classless whining blowhards don't have a clue and wouldn't say anything like this to anyone in person. I agree it is time for a change and I think Dooley will do well in the future, and I see no reason for all the negativity. The man gave his all to improve Tenn. and he has. So many factors went into the lack of success and just plain bad luck. I also think our QB is a thrower and not a play maker and it has hurt us. He never seems to come through in the crunch and I believe that has been part of our problem. He has played well at times, but then goes completely off line and just seems to just fling the ball and is not accurate. With another year to adjust to our defense, if kept, and maybe more time for our young players to develop, I think next year can be a lot better. Anyway, I think we should just thank the man for his efforts and move on and forgo the negative comments.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

One correction to the article, the Florida game wasn't close.

Dooley is fired, and you are still an idiot.

There are only 5 seniors in the starting lineup. If Bray leaves, Worley can step right in. The only place there will be a drop-off is if both Hunter and Patterson leave.

UT is one of only two programs in all of the FBS that have never lost 8 games in a single season, and that isn't going to change. As a minimum, there are three guaranteed non-conference wins and then there are the only two teams in the conference more pathetic this year than we are.

If I were you, I wouldn't be concerned about Tennessee. I would be concerned about that 108th ranked offense of the Gators. Just think, they could be playing for some kind of championship if they didn't suck on offense so bad.

volunteer_cowboy writes:

just remember, Hart hired jimbo at florida st. and jimbo is not happy since they cut all funding

DavidB writes:

Good luck to Dooley in his future. It was past time for him to go. Like many I believe he had the best intentions but just was not sec caliber. The next coach needs to be a proven winner and a proven recruiter. Whoever they hire I hope the fan base will stand behind them.

Hart may be playing it close to the best but I have to think the search started some time ago. Looking forward to the official announcement of the new head coach. I think it will be at least after the Kentucky game before its official and possibly after the bowl games (if we hire a coach from another school that is)

VolQB writes:

I was at the tn game last night. Very sad times for vol fans. Sal held the dagger for this season.

The second deeper stab wound is that Dooley got out coached every game. Please hire experience this time. Given the sad state of the program the hire is not going to be easy or cheap.

VolQB writes:

TNPilgrim writes:

in response to bigdisbig:

In order to receive his buyout Dooley should be made to sit on the bench with a bucket over his worthless head at the Ky. game. He has done more harm to the Vols program than any coach ever.
Whoever agreed to the contract for this loser should be fired as well. NO MERCY for a snake lawyer who couldn't coach a pee wee team.

Pay attention to recent history. Mike Hamilton through his proxy Lane Kiffen has done more damage to the UT athletic program than anyone ever - especially football. Hamilton was the one who agreed to Dooley's contract, but he had to because of the bind that they were in when Kiffen abandoned UT at the worst possible time. Hopefully you're aware that Hamilton was also fired, but not before it was too late. The guilty parties that created this mess are those that make up UT's administration: a collection of mediocre people that direct a mediocre university. We can only pray that Dave Hart knows how to turn things around since no one else at UT seems to have a clue. The state of TN deserves better.

volfan2002 writes:

With all the buyouts and payments we've had to make we could have hired a established coach in the first place. I guess you live and learn.

sunglaspro#374094 writes:

in response to UT_Braddah:

Pretty much agree. Was hoping Dooley would get it done.
I hope UT stays commited to restoring its reputation and doesn't even interview Petrino.
Part of the reason Dooley and Martin were brought in was they both projected images of integrity and to hire Petrino would show that winning is more important than integrity.
If thats the case Pearl is still available and I bet we could talk USC into giving us Kiffin back.
And not defending Hamilton, but those complaining about Dooley's buyout, he had no choice. no one was gonna walk into that mess without assurances and the buyout for the next guy it will probably be even higher.

WoodshedVol writes:

I think we should have given Dooley 10 years to turn the program around. Imagine how much better of a coach he would of been in 9 or 10 years. We just didn't have enough patience. He could have had us in a bowl in 4-5 years and within 8 years we could have been ready to challenge for the SEC east.