snafu14u#241639 writes:

in response to mrvol2u:

Heard a crazy, crazy rumor! Pete Carroll wants back in College coaching and is talking to UT!!

Let the crazy stuff start!

The hope here is we get someone who has been a head coach before.

I don't believe that rumor for a second......but it's a great one. Keeping them coming fellas. BonzaiVol

Colliervol writes:

in response to springcreekvol:

What's wrong with Petrino? Don't yall like winners?

You mean outside of the fact that he is a degenerate and a proven liar (everywhere he's been). Not a thing wrong other than that.

olecountryboy writes:

For the LOVE OF GOD, please do not hire Smart, Tuberville, Strong or GOLDEN. PLEASE. Go for Gruden, Stoops, Patterson in that ORDER. PLEASE.

Tau_of_Tennessee writes:

We have a Houston Nutt kind of budget.

stoney writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Regardless of who is available throughout football, James Franklin will continue to win big by Vanderbilt standards and when given an opportunity with real resources will win bigger than anyone. I would hire him tomorrow if he would say yes and not look back.

Since I have told, predict and educated 100% correctly over the years, I have spoken. The rest of you need to become readers and not writers.

I've been wondering why this past week Franklin downplayed the post-game video from last year. I know Dave Hart wouldn't dissemble, but one reason might be that feelers have been made.

Sariel writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

These things almost always end up being someone that you didn't suspect. There are a lot of good young coaches out there who would give Tennessee the type of energy it needs. Personally, I think We need to get Petrino in here and get cooking. I have no problem with his personal life. According to statistics He didn't do anything that 50% of men and 40% of women haven't done. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. I know he is a hell of a coach and Tennessee would be crazy to let someone else hire him if we have a chance.

For me it's not what he did at Arkansas, but what he did in Atlanta. This program can't afford another Kiffin. Petrino's too much of a risk.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to Glentenn:

Offer Chris Peterson and Gary Patterson in the $4-5 million range. If they say no, go for Butch Jones from Cincy or Charlie Strong from Louisville for $3 million.

Jon Gruden is just too big of a risk to take for $5 million IMO.

Not Butch Davis and certainly not Charlie Strong...Butch=baggage and Strong=no wins against well anybody of significants...

CommodoreCapital writes:

Petrino would fit right into the ethics and morals of the university.

jplemons80 writes:

There is one name that I'm surprised I haven't heard. Nick Saban. Before you call me crazy, think about this. Nick Saban has recently said in an interview that he would rather build a program, than maintain one. That is what he is doing now at Alabama. He and Hart are on good terms with each other. And lastly, his wife hates living in Alabama. I know it's a long shot, but it's still a shot.

ozarkvol writes:

Everyone is missing the obvious choice of the new HC at Tennessee.

Randy Sanders, is out of job at Kentucky.

You heard it hear first..Randy Sanders our next head football coach.

ssgdebity writes:

What does everyone think about Sean Peyton of the New Orleans Saints?

LibertyVolance writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

No doubt, Cutcliffe could stabilize a fractured fan base and give UT fb a stable leader with real experience in the SEC.

No excitement there. One of the most important jobs is recruiting high level talent. Cut just doesn't fit that scenario. He's better off at Duke where he isn't expected to reel in the top talent.

BolivrBob writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

Petrino is a no-brainer. IMO. Need to get him quick before Kentucky does. It will be interesting to see how all this plays out.

jtb01 writes:

The successful head coaches in the SEC have proven schemes on offense and defense that work in the SEC. They also understand needing depth and the physicality of the SEC.. That's why I don't believe ALL coaches from other conferences can do well in the SEC.(e.g. CDD and the WAC) Over time, as these coaches prove themselves, they do not look for DC's and OC's.... the best come to them. (e.g. Nick Saban). Saban doesnt have to find good OC's or DC's they find him then stick with him or follow him. These group of proven HC, OC and DC stay together until they get there shot. DD did not have that luxery. Having said that, JG schemes have worked at the pro level and should transition over to the college ranks with success, so that's why I think a successful NFL coach would do well. Recruiting is also important, which I don't think JG would have to recruit, I think the recruits flock to him. So having said this, I think Cut would be about an 8-3 coach a year. Not Jimbo Fisher, his teams choke in crunch time. Not Kirby Smart no HC experience. Chris Peterson might do well, but my buddy in Boise says he wouldn't leave. UCLA tried to get him last year and he turned them down and his family lives in LA. Not Petrino, too much baggage but would probably win at UT. Gary Patterson, idk, no SEC experience. I think James Franklin at Vandy, proven. Franklin is also a product of Bill Snyder at Kansas State, who year after year wins with mediocre talent. Hugh Freeze at Ole Miss, but would not leave. Gruden and I think Jeff Fisher could win at UT. Anybody other that those,I think your in the same boat as your in now. But what do I know? Just my humble opinion.

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

My top ten list without repeating any names and adding stipulations used to get that person to arrive...

1.) Jon Gruden- I know detractors say he's a long shot, but Nick Saban told media flat out that he was not leaving the Miami Dolphins. Jon Gruden has not made any statement whatsoever regarding interest in the position. Pay the man, he's the one person who could sit down at a table with Nick Saban's recruits and make them say "wow." I think he'd be the Robert Neyland to Saban being Bear Bryant. If he doesn't come, it needs to have nothing to do with us not offering enough money. Get the man!

2.) Chip Kelly- a longshot of sorts, and it would create a bidding war between the Haslam's and Phil Knight. He's finally learned to play defense, sans the USC game, and he would provide some of that WOW factor.

3.) Mike Gundy-
Probably another bidding war between the Haslam's and T. Boone Pickens, but the last coach to bolt OSU for the SEC hasn't exactly been a bust.

4.) Jim Tressel-
Harder call to make because we'd have to defeat his show-cause, which I am not sure we can do... plus the SEC was always the thorn in his side, but there are intangibles there you cannot deny.

5. Dabo Sweeney-
The downside with the guy is that he's found a way to choke in big moments. The upside is that he's an excellent recruiter, and a young coach who would have a lot of future.

mbible1utk#324980 writes:

6.) Charlie Strong-
He's turned Louisville around, but it's hard to gauge his success because he plays in the Big East. He would at least know what it takes to win in the SEC.

7.) Gus Malzahn- The man has won in the SEC. He gave Oregon their best game outside of Stanford and USC. He's perhaps still a little unproven as a head coach, but there is no denying he knows how to coach offense. Arkansas may snatch him before we can get him.

8.) Gary Patterson- Many will probably think he should go higher on this list. He's kept consistent teams, he plays the way that the SEC plays. He just really lacks the wow factor. Where other coaches could turn things around in 3 years, he'd be more of a 5 year plan type of guy. Effective, but it'd be hard to get as excited for him.

9. Mack Brown- Outlandish thought to hire a coach who is about to be ousted at Texas, but the Longhorn Network and their intense broadcast of his practices and scrimmages could feasibly be part of what's hurting his program. My other struggle in this picture is that the man was sitting on the best talent pool in America, and I kind of feel like he underachieved. He's still got the splash about his name, but not many years left.

10.) David Cutcliffe- He's a little hard to get excited about. He had a run in the SEC and did better with Ole Miss than any coach I can remember, but he's a bit or a throwback to another day. It's kind of either or with him. Fulmer had his best years when Cutcliffe was there, but there's no certainty as to what would happen with Cutcliffe atop Rocky Top. What really gets him on my top 10 is the thought that maybe Chavis has learned how to stop people on third down while at LSU, and would be an asset if he returned.

pingkr62 writes:

We need a coach who has ties to the south eastern / western region and who has established contacts with high school coaches.Namely Florida, Texas, the Carolinas and Georgia. Who ever the next coach is, if he and his staff can recruit these states successfully, Tennessee will begin winning championships again. G.B.O.!!!

Stooley_Dinks writes:

in response to gatorhator4eva:

i would not doubt gruden is hired. he is passionate about tennessee football and knows where they need to be. the question is not if the university and its donors have the money, it is are they willing to spend it. they should also consider JOHN CHAVIS in which lame kiffin screwed.

People are incorrectly assuming that Gruden is too much of a long shot. There are too many smoking guns suggesting that he "might" be interested if "UT" presents the opportunity correctly for anyone to just write this option off.

Stooley_Dinks writes:

in response to thorsnake:

What about former TN Titans coach Jeff Fisher. He is well respected.

Acceptable, not inspiring, but a decent choice with the right staff.

Stooley_Dinks writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

And these hand gesture, shoulder-rolling shenanigans would last about 10 more seconds, slightly longer than illegal participation penalties. Cut is a drill Sargent.

deputy658 writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

How is James Franklin not on this list?

We don't need this classless punk at UT.

Halls3 writes:

in response to BigVolinCarolina:

The comments in the earlier post by "td" are exactly right.

On another note, if UT hires Petrino, I just might send back my diploma. Seriously.

I 2nd that idea. It would be a disgrace. Personally I think the 3 MOST realistic choices are Charlie Strong, Gary Patterson, & Jimbo Fisher. Strong has SEC ties, Patterson will eventually get tired of being in a conference that Texas runs, & Fisher is going to get tired of FSU expectations & 12-1 not getting a national championship bid. John Gruden ain't happening, I don't see Cutcliffe leaving Duke, Stoops/Gundy are outside shots but I doubt it & anyone else won't happen b/c it won't be any real improvement in the fans eyes.

FWBVol writes:

If either Gruden or (please no) Petrino, end up being the guy I think it will happen quickly...probably in a week or two. Neither of them are currently employed as a coach and the negotiations could start immediately without going through a NFL team or university athletic director.

I still say that I'd like Jimbo Fisher of FSU for reason's I've stated on othe posts.

This week I will support interim head coach Jim Chaney and wish him the best against Kentucky. And, when the next coach is announced, I'll support him as long as he represents UT well.

Stooley_Dinks writes:

in response to stoney:

I just believe Hart is going to try to make a hire most UT fans can accept. That doesn't mean we only get a Gruden. But, hiring someone that would immediately set off half or more of the fan base at our "crossroads" is not likely.

He may be a good coach, but many fans would rebel at hiring a Vandy coach with such an "explosive" personality. Though I am sure he would like the raise that such speculation might lead to.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Stooley_Dinks:

Definitely, UT needs an attitude adjustment..Bray staring down Vandy's bench and slashing his throat in the MCB will not be tolerated under his watch.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to LibertyVolance:

I agree he's not exciting but neither was Gary Patterson or Jim Tressel when they took over at TCU&OSU..JAT.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

I don't understand the sanctimonious opposition to Bobby Petrino. The guy made a mistake and paid big-time for it. Just maybe, like the rest of us, he's smart enough to learn from his mistakes. We all know that everyone posting on this site has made a mistake in his life that, if plastered on newspapers and TV, would be an indictment of our character. Most of us are capable of learning from our mistakes and not repeating them. If Petrino is not, then he would be cut loose. Actually, with all the attention his actions received, and all that it cost him, he might be the safest hire we could make.

eb502us#225637 writes:

Forget Petrino (Baggage and poor recruiter) Cutcliffe (overated OC - average HC) Golden (still unproven) and Smart (no HC experience).

Strong is a great recruiter and is doing well, but as a defensive guy, his defense at Louisville is on par with ours. Jury is still out on him.

Only ones I like on this list are Gruden and Patterson. Gundys team is a yo-yo every season.

eepwlg writes:

in response to CommodoreCapital:

Petrino would fit right into the ethics and morals of the university.

Why don't you flush the Commode this time meat head? Your Peabody boys played well last night, but it won't last. Franklin won't stay forever. What if he comes to UT?

stormblast writes:

in response to CommodoreCapital:

Petrino would fit right into the ethics and morals of the university.

First win over a bad UT team in 30 years and still pounding your chest huh? Enjoy it, because it only happens every other generation.

Vandy fans are dancing in public with pride for once instead of the usual Buffalo Bill's dance scene in front of the mirror from "Silence of the Lambs."

Remember, the clock struck 12 last night. Today begins the next 29 year cycle of misery for Vandy fans, all 73 of you.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

Obviously, the head coach is paramount for us now. But...................the success of any coach we hire has to be the assistant coaches. You can have a great head coach but if he doesn't have the right help, it's a losing effort all over again. We see how that affected the defense this year.

Now that this decision has been made, what on earth will the "fire this guy, fire that guy" conversation sound like? Flowers, Merlot, Walt, and the like will have to change their dialog now. Sure, we needed to make a change, however we have had these idiots sounding like idiots for weeks on end. And, if the new hire isn't to their liking, it's more of what we've heard for weeks.

Anyway, we do need quality assistant coaches to be a big part of the new coach's challenging future. The recruits then have to follow suit.

FWBVol writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

marinevol, I appreciate your service to our country, but let me tell you why I have problems with Petrino.

It's not just the affair, but the fact that he used his position as the head football coach at Arkansas to hire his mistress. And then, after the accident, Petrino tried to cover up the fact he was with his mistress and didn't come clean about it until the evidence was so stacked against him that he couldn't deny it.

If Petrino's questionable behavior and ethics at Arkansas aren't enough, the guy quit on the Atlanta Falcons in midseason and didn't even have the backbone enough to address his team and tell them he was leaving. The guy left sticky notes or a xeroxed note on the lockers of the players telling them he was gone.

And finally there is his behavior while he was the head coach at Louisville when he met with big time Auburn boosters about the job at the school while Tommy Tuberville was still under contract with the school.

Yes, we all make mistakes, and many of us learn from our mistakes, but others never learn. In my opinion, based on Petrino's history of bonehead decisions, he might be one of those people that never learns and that's why I don't want UT to be the school to see if he's finally cleaned up act.

There are enough good coaches out there without character questions that I'd prefer not to stick my finger in the fire and see if it's still hot.

I think Jimbo Fisher is just as good of a hire and a lot safer.

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

None of the above can do anything to clean up this mess.

Get back to me in 4 years when the next search begins.

UkJarhead writes:

Joker Phillips is available.

BigBadVol writes:

in response to BigVolinCarolina:

The comments in the earlier post by "td" are exactly right.

I'm with you!

jimr07 writes:

Just wondered who told KNS who were being considered. Did Dave Hart tell you that.

Volunteer-Varmint writes:

in response to Rock85:

GRUDEN!!!! Anyone else will be a let down....

Stupid post...Just plain stupid!

stormblast writes:

in response to FWBVol:

I think Jimbo Fisher is just as good of a hire and a lot safer.

I forgot about the Auburn incident. In my opinion, the Arkansas affair is strike three for Petrino. Anyone who hires him deserves what comes with him.

BigBadVol writes:

I'm confused why Gruden is considered such a long shot. He has said in the past that ND & Tn would be the only college coaching jobs he would consider. Throw 5 mil at him.

UkJarhead writes:

6 years, 33 million- Bobby Petrino your next coach.. Good Luck

UkJarhead writes:

I was worried we would take him. Glad UT did. Just more fodder for trash talking.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to BigBadVol:

Totally agree, I also believe Hart already knows and it's just a matter of ironing out the wrinkles.

BolivrBob writes:

in response to eb502us#225637:

Don't know where you get Petrino is not a good recruiter. Cutcliffe is a Manning family friend and Ole Miss hired him because Archie wanted Eli to go to Ole miss. It was a package deal. When Eli was gone it was obvious that Cut couldn't cut it and they fired him, so why would WE want Cutcliffe? Can't believe anybody would even suggest it. I like the guy but he can't even win in the ACC. And where do folks get he's done more at Ole Miss than anybody. Nobody ever heard of Johnny Vaught? He's a Dang legend for Christ's sakes. NO Cutcliffe. No Way. Proven loser.

RollTideJoe writes:

in response to jplemons80:

You are completely misinformed. Terry Saban loves Tuscaloosa. Loves it. Nick is under contract through 2019 and has no intentions of coaching anywhere but BAMA and might extend beyond that. Wherever you got your info, it is wrong. Go ahead and offer. You'll find out very quickly.

Razor784 writes:

in response to springcreekvol:

What's wrong with Petrino? Don't yall like winners?

Petrino couldn't recruit a good high school team right now, much less trying to get a 4-star recruit, with all the baggage he has. He might be a good x's and o's coach, but his reputation is damaged forever.

jandjhome#228397 writes:

Bivolar Beare I agree with you.

tuvol4u (Inactive) writes:

Dan Mullen from Ms State. He is a man of integrity, is an SEC guy, has MS State playing some of their best ball in recent memory and seems to coach a lot better than Dooley. I think he would be a strong consideration, especially since we can out duel MS State in the salary department.

UkJarhead writes:

Petrino already hired. Seriously. I have a friend in the sthletic department at UT. He was offered 6 years- 33 miliion. Its all but a done deal.

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to Stooley_Dinks:

Acceptable, not inspiring, but a decent choice with the right staff.

you can change your handle now. he is gone

jobrando#216494 writes: