Chope writes:

in response to tlstrock#313022:

I hope UT/Hart will consider John Chavis. I really respect him, and as a UT alum, would be proud to have him as our head coach.

On a side note, I thank Dooley, his staff and his family for coming to UT. In a time when UT athletics was becoming the brunt of many "water cooler" jokes, he (and Coach Martin) brought stability and a small sense of pride back to its alumnae. I never worried about his actions because he is a man of high values and did not display a "win at all costs" mentality. Best of luck to you and your family, Coach Dooley.

Somehow I am just not picturing Dooley on his computer reading us idiotic bloggers. I'm just saying I don't think he is going to get this message from you. No offense intended.

pingkr62 writes:

Watched the CDD show this a.m. He almost seemed relieved. I'm sure he feels like a ton of weight was lifted off his shoulders. Good for him. G.B.O.!!!

pingkr62 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Yes they could..Trooper Taylor is a NCAA violation waiting to happen and a loudmouth thug..Tee, ruined his legacy by siding with Kiffin and forsaking integrity by taking that job.

Ditto!!

ceross2#217486 writes:

Man,such great advice from so many experts!!!

jimr07 writes:

in response to GloryDays:

Anything is better than Dooley.

Hire Fulmer as coach
Tropper Taylor as OC
Chief at DC
Tee Martin at WR coach
Jay Graham at RB coach
Sam Pittman at OL coach
Dale Jones at LB coach
Al Wilson to personally take care of discipline problems.

IF FULMER IS SURROUNDED BY GOOD PEOPLE HE WOULD DO A GOOD JOB.

Thanks for your post. I needed a good laugh.

calvolfromkingsport writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

You're too funny! Especially since Hammy was Dickey's assistant and groomed by Coach Dickey to be his replacement.

BigBadVol writes:

in response to jimr07:

Dear Dave:
If you want to know who to hire, check here frequently. You will be surprised at all the self-appointed know-it-alls that posts on here.

LOL! The funniest post I've seen in a while.

tedstryker1980 writes:

in response to Pullingguard:

Read the last sentence in this article and his last comment and you will realize how far down the drain this program has gone In recent years...No coach, not one can come into the program and have success within couple years...You are. Looking at 4'years out before UT becomes a power in the East again. will take more patience that has been shown on this board...Amother thing he got straight..No one has been talked with regarding coaching..
this says to all those supposedly I'n the know...U know nothing except what you assume...Its just talk, but it's interesting..

Tell that to Nick Saban, Brian Kelly and Kevin Sumlin.

cincykid82 writes:

What a scam - these contracts, these buyouts, everyone gets paid Dooley, Sal etc. will never, ever hurt for money after only a few years (or less) of work - what a good 'ol boys network, geez. Hart's the worst - hasn't done a darn thing to earn his paycheck since arriving. He should be the next one to be shown the door.

PA-Vol writes:

Coaching possibilities:

Dave Doeren
Jim Mora
James Franklin
Gus Malzahn

John_10065 writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor say no more cheapies. Witch Doctor say we gotta pay the piper this time. Witch Doctor say best wishes Dooley but you couldnt win. Witch Doctor say no need to hate..move on. Witch Doctor say pay up and find a big name coach.
Bones never lie.

Unfortunately we're in a position that the coffers are bare and we would sound like Wimpy looking to pay for two hamburgers on next Tuesday.

I am not sure UT has the money to do another multi-million dollar buyout and financially make a sound offer to a top tier coach. In some ways that makes me even more worried about our next hire. Does UT even have enough boosters left to lend a hand? Lord knows UT is bleeding cash paying off contracts.

Who are we going to get and how will UT pay them?

Regardless, I have nothing against Dooley. He was the wrong hire at the wrong time. He came in on what was a virtual death sentence year with the mess Kiffin left behind. He's a good man and a knowledgable football professional. I wish him the best of luck wherever he lands.

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to GloryDays:

Anything is better than Dooley.

Hire Fulmer as coach
Tropper Taylor as OC
Chief at DC
Tee Martin at WR coach
Jay Graham at RB coach
Sam Pittman at OL coach
Dale Jones at LB coach
Al Wilson to personally take care of discipline problems.

IF FULMER IS SURROUNDED BY GOOD PEOPLE HE WOULD DO A GOOD JOB.

As the Stupid Police would say: STUPID

eepwlg writes:

in response to titletownz:

Let's hope not.

Tru138 writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Who would you realistically think might make the short list? Seriously.

Rock85 writes:

No Pressure Mr. Hart Just the survival of Tennessee football is at stake,And your Job, and Cheeks Job. And the Cash flow that all Tennessee sports LIVE OFF. Not a Big deal.... JUST PAY CHUCKY!!!! or PAY THE PIPER!!!

farmdog (Inactive) writes:

If it's true that Hart didn't begin this search about 51 weeks ago then this in itself shows a remarkable lack of competence from the top. Hart must have come in on a Trojan Horse from Alabubba.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to jimr07:

Dear Dave:

Jim, and fellow Vol fans,

Perfectly said. We have a variety of 'experts' here who know who we should hire. Hart cannot make the hire without their approval.

One more thing...........all these names....it's a big wish list.........as in wishful thinking. We can wish for this guy or that guy, but it doesn't mean a heck of a lot.
Mainly because some may have no intention of leaving their own successful assignments, some we can't afford, and some are just a bad fit.

It is definitely a critical hire, but again, check with the GVX 'experts' first.

tlstrock#313022 writes:

in response to Chope:

Who knows who reads these comments..fans, recruits, his family members, maybe even Dooley himself. I read your response to my post even though there was no value in it at all. I wanted to make a statement that his time at UT is appreciated by some of us.

btw, when you preface or end a statement "no offense intended," that might be a clue to just stop whatever it is you are about to say or write. No offense intended, of course.

GainesvilleVol1 writes:

Good luck to DD and his family, just wish I could get 5 million to leave my job, I'd give a 2day notice, I'd leave 2 day!

Gruden is the big name hire, recruits, money and all. Time will tell.

GO VOLS AGAIN!!

jobrando#216494 writes:

in response to GainesvilleVol1:

Gruden is the big name hire, recruits, money and all. Time will tell.

GO VOLS AGAIN!!

I suspect he'll be back in Ga Monday. Just leave all the moving to movers. Money makes it nice.

Rusty356 writes:

The UT Vols football program could do (and if history is any indication, probably will do) much worse than hiring Mark McHale as the new Head Coach. McHale has the experience AND the temperament to be one of the most successful Head Coaches UT has ever had. He's truly a "Coaches Coach" and has been instrumental in recruiting some VERY HIGH profile college players in the past. Just ask Brett Farve where he would be today if Mark McHale hadn't gone to bat for him BEFORE he was a college freshman. I would be surprised if McHale couldn't get Farve to come with him to UT.

allvol8 writes:

in response to GloryDays:

Anything is better than Dooley.

Hire Fulmer as coach
Tropper Taylor as OC
Chief at DC
Tee Martin at WR coach
Jay Graham at RB coach
Sam Pittman at OL coach
Dale Jones at LB coach
Al Wilson to personally take care of discipline problems.

IF FULMER IS SURROUNDED BY GOOD PEOPLE HE WOULD DO A GOOD JOB.

Wasn't Troop caught doing something recently?

DCVOLMAN writes:

Gruden or bust!

BMSvol writes:

for the most part, i was happy with the offense this year. The defense was in shambles though.
Im thinking Chavis has been at the top of the list since he spoke at the qb club last month. It would take a HC position at a school like UT for it to make sense for him to leave his bama gig.

all this gruden talk is ridiculous, and al goldin?? thats moronic.

im guessing Chavis has been head coach-in waiting since his last visit to knoxville.

vols_fan_n_tx writes:

in response to tedstryker1980:

Tell that to Nick Saban, Brian Kelly and Kevin Sumlin.

And Jim Mora. UCLA was horrible last year. Got beat by USC 50-0. All these examples prove that the right coach does make a difference. Hire Guden.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

It's done and there's no use continuing to bash Derek Dooley. I don't hate the guy for negotiating a great buyout...that dead albatross should hang from the necks of Hamilton and Cheek, but it won't.

I have to have optimism that UT has finally turned a corner and realized that to win in the SEC you can't hire a recruiter and then pretend he is a head coach. The head coach MUST be a great X&Os= guy first and then a very good recruiter, especially at UT because the next guy is going to struggle to pull in amazing recruits for about two years. It is essential that the next coach be able to do more with less and that he has a proven track record of success.

In any case, I'm settled in for a good, long coaching search. Good luck fellow Vols! We will see what we will see.

Noogaorange writes:

in response to dvol:

D.D. is a class act and deserves credit for stopping the bleeding. I have always thought that he would make a great A.D. He just didn't have what it took to be a head coach at Tennessee. We can hire Petrino a proven coach and take the flak for it now or have to face him at some other SEC school for years to come. He has proven he can win and there is no one out there even Gruden that would do a better job. So, forgive and hire this guy or we will be here again in 4 years.

What bleeding are you talking about Dooley stopping? It definitely isn't mine. I've been bleeding ever since he got to Tennessee and it's gotten worse every year.
I wish they'd canned him last year after the Ky meltdown.
Really glad they finally sent him packing no way to support him any longer.
We need to really hit a home run this time can't afford anymore mistakes!
Praying for Hart to get it right. GBO VFL17

Prostar writes:

What's up with all this wanting to go back to the past with names like Cutcliffe, Chavis, Trooper Taylor, etc. I remember the knock on Cutcliffe was that he was too predictable, too conservative and everyone had our playbook. Chavis was well, "third and Chavis" and Taylor was a chest-bumper. All hat and no cattle. And only Cutcliffe has HC experience. Just sit back Vol fans, the big money people are in the drivers seat for this one. If Dooley was given a 7 year contract then I don't think a 10-year contract (which is what I heard Gruden wants) is out of line. It's not only the name of the Head Coach, it's who he can bring as his assistants and coordinators that will get the recruits here. And don't think for one minute that topic has not been discussed also.

OrangeBloodFlood writes:

in response to DennisVols:

Opportunities present themselves as a future. Make the right choice when given the opportunity and success will come your way. Make the wrong choice and it may take years to regain just to where you were when you had that opportunity.
Dooley did some good things at UT for the football program. He has recruited some good talent, stabilized the program and made the off field issues minor in comparison to what they were during Fulmer’s final couple of years and Kiffin’s one and done.
I wish Dooley well and hope the true Vol fans will handle this with class and not pile on with useless dribble.
Hart needs to be through with this search and make sure that the person to lead this program is a winner not just on the field of football but in life. There is no need to settle or lower your standards to fill this position. The leadership needs to be both on and off the field. The kids that choose to come to UT deserve the best of both. While winning is important to all on the field, most of those who choose to play ball here will need to learn how to win off the field in a career that in most cases will not be at the NFL. Discipline off the field will lead to discipline on the field.
We do not need a coach that is waiting on another offer be at another college or the NFL. This person needs to be a clear choice that when he walks into a recruits home there is no question about his character or how long he may be at UT. This is the most important choice for a head coach probably in the history of the program. Two choice that did not turn out good cannot become three.
Keeping it Real
GoVols!!!

Excellent post! DD did represent UT with integrity and class as he promised when he took the job and any REAL UT fan realizes that and will show class at this time.I do think he did his best...it just wasn't good enough.The person who hired him is more at fault than DD in my opinion. Go Vols !

VolnTex writes:

in response to jimr07:

Dear Dave:

Nail hit squarely on the head!

OrangeBloodFlood writes:

in response to notfunanymore:

Dooley didn't destroy the program,it was in a shambles when he took over.He did take the job and stabilize the program when many others turned us down.....show a little class !

Rumblefish writes:

Cutcliff...Head Coach and QB coach
Chavis...Dcoord (assistant HC)
Chaney...OC (with lots of help from Cut)
Graham...Keep him--Lane is looking like the REAL DEAL
Pittman...Keep him--Done a GREAT JOB
Let Cut and Chavis fill in the rest of the position coaches from there.

I'll ask the vol nation on here....how much risk is there to what I suggested above, vs the risk that will be taken on an "up-and comer" or proven winner (urban meyer, chip kelly, brian kelly, peterson...all of which will most likely NOT be coming here)??

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

in response to Orangeblood64:

Steal Jim Mora from UCLA. lol

Problem is he is in one of the best recruiting states period, California. UCLA is in BCS conference and his toughest competition is Oregon, then maybe Stanford or USC.

UCLA could match most pay I would think so I just don't see it happening unless he wants in the SEC that bad.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

Cutcliff...Head Coach and QB coach
Chavis...Dcoord (assistant HC)
Chaney...OC (with lots of help from Cut)
Graham...Keep him--Lane is looking like the REAL DEAL
Pittman...Keep him--Done a GREAT JOB
Let Cut and Chavis fill in the rest of the position coaches from there.

You could keep Graham NO to everyone else, clean the house this time and get it right. Chaney, LOL get off that horse please. This guy has no clue people, none, zero how to run an SEC offense. UT has to go pro set and run the freaking ball. Not dink and dunks and bombs, no more.

10ACfan100 writes:

Kiffin may be available soon...

Rumblefish writes:

in response to tnoutlaw2001#228008:

you're so right. none of the people i listed know anything about winning. thanks for showing me who you would put in each of those positions. oh wait....

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

HE LIVES!!! Good to hear from ya, WD! And cosign!

AirForceVol2786 writes:

in response to GloryDays:

Anything is better than Dooley.

Hire Fulmer as coach
Tropper Taylor as OC
Chief at DC
Tee Martin at WR coach
Jay Graham at RB coach
Sam Pittman at OL coach
Dale Jones at LB coach
Al Wilson to personally take care of discipline problems.

IF FULMER IS SURROUNDED BY GOOD PEOPLE HE WOULD DO A GOOD JOB.

So you are suggesting that if Coach Fulmer is surrounded by great coaches then he will win? I think that could be said with Coach Dooley or me for that matter. We need a proven head coach that can come in here and win NOW!!! Coach Fulmer did alot for UT but the game has passed him by. If it hadn't there would be universities lining up to hire him. So how many D-1 job offers does Fulmer have? Hire Charlie Strong and lets get this show on the road. Go Vols, it's a beautiful day!

Madkels writes:

in response to GloryDays:

I am surprised that Hart said he hadn't contacted anyone dircetly or indirectly? The dooley ship has been sinking for some time, especially after loss to Kentucky, I wuould think a good AD would have a list and be talking behind the scenes. Hope Mr Hart knows what he is doing?

I agree. I only hope he is covering and does in fact have a top notch replacement waiting in the wings. If he hasn't been working on it fr sometime, then Mr. Hart isn't worth hs salary either.

FanNotSheep writes:

I wouldn't hire anyone dumb enough to want the job.

Could apply to UT football coach or U.S. President.

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

He is a Hall of Famer that has been the most successful coach in UT history and one of the most successful in college football history. He would do a great job. His resume dwarfs anyone on the list. I hope he would not do it just to continue sticking the knife in these UT idiots for years to come.

Coach Neyland by any measure was more successful than Coach Fulmer.

Walt

UT '81

bigdisbig writes:

From the beginning I did not like the Dooley hire. He was not a proven coach and his record at La. Tech was terrible. I never did understand why he was hired. The guy is walking away smelling like a rose with the money he gets. He has NOT improved the program. He has unintentionally destroyed the Vol football program. The Vols lost to Kentucky under his pathetic coaching and now Vandy and the program only makes ESPN highlight segments for their stupid mistakes. Dooley needs to go back to his law practice and leave coaching up to those who can coach and teach Discipline. Patterson should have been benched for his stupid antics once again running backwards in the end zone against Vandy but Dooley has no guts. His team never respected him and that was his downfall. Do you really think Saban, Richt, Miles or Spurrier would put up with this phooey from Patterson? HAIL NO!
Dooley got what he deserved and he does NOT deserve 5 million in addition to ruining a once great program.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to GloryDays:

That's a safe bet. Every AD always has a short list they keep updated, because ether never know when a coach will quit, need to be fired, or die. Head coaches do the same where their assistants are concerned.

BolivrBob writes:

in response to GloryDays:

Anything is better than Dooley.

Hire Fulmer as coach
Tropper Taylor as OC
Chief at DC
Tee Martin at WR coach
Jay Graham at RB coach
Sam Pittman at OL coach
Dale Jones at LB coach
Al Wilson to personally take care of discipline problems.

IF FULMER IS SURROUNDED BY GOOD PEOPLE HE WOULD DO A GOOD JOB.

So would I....lmao

rockypop writes:

Does anybody else think that Dave Hart looks like a shady, used-car dealer with a bad haircut and dye job?

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Martin has said he was never contacted about any jobs at Tennessee.

Taylor has been around awhile. Have there been any violations yet for which he is responsible?

Walt

UT '81

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to rockypop:

He looks like the latest newly found mummy in the Valley of Kings.

Walt

UT '81

BolivrBob writes:

I was impressed with Hart in the press conference. Especially when he opened it up for questioning. That idiot KNS writer that's on the Dooley show asked him to elaborate on the problems Dooley inherited. He might as well have asked him to elaborate on daylight when it's day. Hart answered it and all questions intelligently and with class. I felt he knew what he was talking about and knows what he is doing.

BolivrBob writes:

Chucky...Chucky...Chucky...Chucky...Chucky...Chucky...Chucky...Chucky...Chucky...Chucky...Chucky...Chucky...Chucky...Chucky...Chucky...Chucky...Chucky...Chucky...Chucky...Chucky...Chucky...Chucky...Chucky...Chucky...Chucky!

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to BolivrBob:

What a cr@p shoot that would be.

We've had our disastrous hire for this decade.

Walt