MidTennVol writes:

I hope they get him. We can do better.

Moesart writes:

Dumb people. Just because ESPN gave Gruden a show where he yells at some college QBs, dumb people think that proves Gruden is a great college coach.

volpreacher writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

John Gruden's record the next three years if he takes the UT job: 15-21

My record for the next three years if I took the UT job: 15-21

Witchdoctor's record for the next three years if he took the UT job: 15-21

Point is, the program is awful, the players are bad, the few good players are as good as gone.

This coming from a guy who's team has struggled to beat two lower tier teams the last two weeks and loaded with 5* players. Not sure Muschamp is that great either.

takespix writes:

I pray Arkansas gets him!! I also pray that scumbag coward cheat Petrino gets hired by Kentucky,Auburn,ANYONE but UT!!

Moesart writes:

I would like to see what Gruden could do in Knoxville, but it isn't happening.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to agarn:

Sources?

I will say this, this man (Harold Johnson former UT player & SEC official) is good friends with Haslam II. I know for a fact he wouldn't lie about this deal. He's the one that told me UT was hiring Kiffin when everyone was reporting Kelly would replace Fulmer.

Moesart writes:

Consider this. Name one coach who has ever had success on the NFL level that has moved back to the college level to coach. THERE IS NO ONE. The only coaches that come back to college are ones that failed on the NFL level and already had success on the college level. (Saban, Spurrier, Holtz). Once a coach have succeeded on the NFL level that is where they stay.

djohnnyg writes:

Let's see. You guys want a great, big splash coach who will be here forever, has won national championships before, has a top level overall record, AND is squeaky clean.

Is having a southern accent part of the criteria this time too? That's what alot of guys here were saying when Dooley was hired.."He sounds like us" was what alot were saying.

Good luck.

If UT were able to get Gruden OR Petrino you should get on your knees and thank the Lord above.

VolnTex writes:

One more thing about hiring Gruden that isn't being mentioned. UT's dire financial situation will already make it difficult to pay Gruden and all of the buyouts. But what about all of the new assistants? I don't know if he would keep anyone, but if he cleans out the entire coaching staff he isn't going to bring anyone cheap with him. I'm not trying to be Mr. Negative, just offering a little something to think about.

Rockytopfan96 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Hmmmm, I already heard UT offered and signed Gruden to a 4 yr deal worth 6.2 million a year..Interesting.

Yeah...thats exactly what I heard too....very interesting....

usafvol writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

The fact that you think anyone would make UT relevant in 5 years makes you one of the fantasy land expectations fans. Tenn was not relevant in the vast majority of it's history pre Phil. Why on earth would anyone think they will be relevant for decades at a school with leadership issues, money problems, expectation problems, NCAA problems and most importantly an in state talent problem?

You all wanted this change. I told everyone the stupidity of it all. You got it now embrace it. It is what you wanted. Enjoy another 5-7 or 4-8. That is your future regardless of who they hire or what you want it to be.

Why don't you go away punka** little momma's boy. Trolls like you just little punks who eveidently didn't get enough attention at home from momma and have to come on here to be validated in some way; pathetic..

usafvol writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

John Gruden's record the next three years if he takes the UT job: 15-21

My record for the next three years if I took the UT job: 15-21

Witchdoctor's record for the next three years if he took the UT job: 15-21

Why are you even here Deltadouche; things slow at the bus station?

VolBall18 writes:

As a huge Vol fan, I would love to see Gruden running through the T. But that said, I really don't see him coming. Most true NFL coaches want an NFL job. The only ones that come to college most of the time are the ones that can't cut it in the pros. Gruden has a SB ring. I'm sure he'd love another. And, I'm hearing that the Philadelphia Eagles really want him. I think he would take that job in a heartbeat. Stoops would be great. I know a lot of people don't think so but he would. He's PROVEN. Just don't see him coming either.

Central_IL_Vol writes:

I know nothing about the coaching search, but I offer but one scenario. Jon Gruden is, most likely, under contract until the end of MNF. If this is the case, he would have to complete this season. A deal may have already been done, but can't be made public until near the last MNF game.

If Gruden wants to coach in college, what better place than where his wife attended and he was a GA?

If it happens, it happens; but I will believe it when I see it!

In the mean time; GO VOLS!

TheCopper writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

60-2=48. The payouts will barely top 10 maybe closer to 15 mill. Not that anything you said was even close to right but simple 3rd grade math would label you an idiot.

Buzz and Phil's buyouts where paid by Haslem as are most buyouts. Hammy was a fool and ruined UT athletics but buyouts are a part of college sports on this level and UT does not live on an island where they can be the only school that does not provide buyouts.

You would be hiring a high school coach if there was no buyouts in their contracts. Besides, Phil earned evey penny as the most successful coach in school history and one of the most successful in college football history. The rest of the country laughs at UT for firing a legend. Hammy was weak as water and did whatever he thought the vocal small minority wanted. That leaves us in a bind that will not be fixed for decades regardless of who the next coach is. The only person that can get close to the fantasy land expectations of UT fans is James Franklin.

Good Lord would you please shut up with all the Fulmer B.S. He is gone, and thankfully so. What makes you such a football coaching expert that you think Franklin is the only one that can get UT turned around? I'm gonna take a wild guess here and say that you are no expert. You are probably just some drunk guy that sits around in his boxers all day in his momma's basement trying to think of stupid things to say on a message board. Go back to kissing your Fulmer blow up doll and leave this site to people that actually have something interesting to say.

LovinMyVols writes:

in response to dontdroptheVOL:

Personaly never been much on the Gruden bandwagon how ever he may be a good first year recruiter if he is hired simply because his name after that it would be based on his production as a head coach. Bottom line if Tennessee ask him he will put the price on the table. Tenn then will have to met it. Gruden's record is 95-81

The NFL and college are drastically different games. Winning 54% of your games is pretty good. Winning a Super Bowl is huge!

To put it in perspective:

Chuck Noll 57%
Belichick 64%
Paul Brown 59%
Coughlin 55%
Shanahan 56%

All excellent NFL coaches. Comparing won loss records in the NFL to college won-loss records just doesn't make sense.

copia69296 writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

60-2=48 ?????? Better check your 3rd grade math.

Mr_Bandman writes:

If he's been extended an offer, that means he's been in conversation with someone about coaching at the college level....that alone makes me a bit more optimistic about the chances of signing him....an offer from an SEC rival would make quite the bargaining chip....

tennrich1 writes:

These Grudenites kill me....Jon is NOT going to Arkansas...Jon is NOT going to the Vols...He will either say put or coach in the NFL...In my humble BUT ACCURATE opinion!!!

BeRealistic writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Good post. They don't have the knowledge to understand.

LovinMyVols writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

John Gruden's record the next three years if he takes the UT job: 15-21

My record for the next three years if I took the UT job: 15-21

Witchdoctor's record for the next three years if he took the UT job: 15-21

I don't really see this as likely. Although Dooley's recruits were definately not "top of the line" for the most part, he did get some solid guys to build around. With the O-line coming back, all we need to be productive is a top flight running back. A big name coach should be able to land one. We have some pretty good back up receivers.

Defense showed last year that they have enough talent to be competitive in SEC. They just need better coaching and scheming. Again, a top flight coach should be able to recruit to fill some holes.

Next year looks tough, but if we get the right guy it could be a decent year.

LifetimeVolFan98 writes:

in response to nocleats:

Walton (WalMart) money and Jerry Jones money$

Jones has NEVER made a significant contribution to the U of A, not sure about walton family. Reports out of Arkansas is that the hogs are "swinging for the fences" to begin their search. It's about a "slim-to-none" chance that Chuckie accepts the offer...my sources are friends that reside just outside of Fayeteville...

gatorhator4eva writes:

gruden is the only choice and at this point dave hart knows that. sure his college exp is lacking, one quality im sure hart is really really considering, but at the end of the day tennessee does not have a second chance. gruden is well connected to tennessee so ark is kidding thereselves offering him. the haslam bros will spend what it takes. gruden will come , bank on it.

LovinMyVols writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Respectfully...I disagree.

Tennessee has been more than relevant for most of its history. Just a few facts:

Tennessee ranks 8th in all time victories.

Tennessee ranks 3rd in all time Bowl appearences.

Tennessee has 4 National Championships (yes, I know...but I am using college data warehouse info to be consistent)

Tennessee is 2nd in all time SEC Championships.

I am curious what a team would need to do in your eyes to be "historically relevant"?

agentorange writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Open the window in your mom's basement and get a little fresh air. It might help your thought process.

LifetimeVolFan98 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I was told by a friend who is close to the Thompson family that UT has extended an 8 yr / $34mil contract to Gruden's agent. This was supposedly written Sat afternoon and faxed Sunday morning after Hart met with Dooley.

I'm not saying it's a done deal. It is what it is, but I think there is a stronger possibility this time around than there was 3 or 4 years ago.

Don't count out Al Golden from Miami either...

jfuston writes:

in response to Moesart:

I was thinking that Pete Carroll had a decent record in the NFL before going to USC. I could be wrong though.

walt2010 writes:

If another college program hires Gruden Hart should be fired the same day. If he declines on the college thing altogether, that's one thing; but I think it should be communicated to Dave Hart, post haste, by one or several of the power boosters that losing out on Gruden to another college, especially one in the SEC, is not acceptable.

CoverOrange writes:

If true, this is Arkansas' attempt to bankrupt UT by starting a bidding war.

One downside I see to hiring Gruden is that having been out of coaching for 4 years and out of college coaching for twenty years he is not connected to recruiting. Recruiting is the lifeblood of college teams and Gruden is way behind in scouting high school players and building a repoire with any. On the upside, he will probably retain several current assistants just for the recruiting connections they have already saving some dollars from buyouts.

utfan36 writes:

he want take the AK job just ask is wife! She is all orange and her family is to! If he comes back to coach at the college level it would be UT to many connections to the program for him not to! What would he no about razerback football (tradition)? he knows the tradition at UT,GA from UT,knows the players past and PRESENT, on the way to AZ to broad cast the monday nite football( AZ vs 49ers) he watch UT vs SC on the plane! BLOOD is thicker than water and its deafantly ORANGE! Hart needs to get this done and over with and if it aint going to be CJG lets move own to the next BEST canadate for the job! GO VOLS

CoverOrange writes:

I'm not seeing how it is do-or-die for UT to hire Gruden. There are several other possibilities that would be great hires.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to jfuston:

He's 53-53. Fired by NYJets and NEPats before going to USC.

VolnTex writes:

in response to TheCopper:

And I suppose you think we all find your silly insults interesting and informative?

VolVox writes:

Differences between college & pro coaching: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007...
Gruden wasn't always popular in Tampa: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009...

If you put the substance of these two articles together, it actually makes me think Gruden might be more successful in the college ranks than the pro ranks. NFL players grew cynical about Gruden. College players probably wouldn't become as cynical as quickly, plus, as the Mandel article points out, they are motivated more by emotion. Gruden has plenty of that. I am thinking he would be a good fit as a coach, and I think his name recognition would be an immediate benefit to UT.

Red_October writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

John Gruden's record the next three years if he takes the UT job: 15-21

My record for the next three years if I took the UT job: 15-21

Witchdoctor's record for the next three years if he took the UT job: 15-21

Hey Football God - So you're saying we would never show any improvement from year to year as it relates to recruiting, coaching, etc?

RememberWhen writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

Folks if Tennessee lets this happen then everything we have been told about money not being an issue in hiring a new coach is a croc. If we end up with another 2nd tier coach then it's over for Tennessee football for another 5 years. All my info says it will be Tennessee.

did you flush after gathering all that "info"???

volinlm writes:

in response to JohnnyVol:

That 95-81 includes a Super Bowl ring and another team almost to the Super Bowl.

I am a UT grad living in Fla for 30+ years (I know, it's been tough). I like Gruden, but most fans of the TB Bucs do not attribute that Super Bowl win to him but to Tony Dungee's prior team. I give credit to Gruden for not messing that up. He had four good years spread out over 11 years and was fired after a .540 overall record. I agree that he would probably bring recruits, and maybe retain some Vols who might be thinking of leaving, but I still think there are better coaches out there. If they hire him I'll certainly support him..just like I did Dooley. Go Vols!

takespix writes:

in response to LovinMyVols:

Respectfully...I disagree.

Tennessee ranks 8th in all time victories.

Tennessee ranks 3rd in all time Bowl appearences.

Tennessee is 2nd in all time SEC Championships.

Ignore him Lovin, he's an idiot!

VolBall18 writes:

Gruden has some really deep connections with high schools in Florida. They love him down there. We desperately need some ties down there. He also has a slew of connections with assistants that would follow him. Just would be a really great hire for UT. We need that fire back. Also, some of you "fans" are posting that we need Franklin?! Are you out of your mind?!

VolGrad writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Yeah and I heard the UT "meta" Physics department is trying to resurrect the General. We could get him for less than a fourth of that, and he'd still think he was robbing us.

Seriously, we do need a proven winner (at college level), and preferably one without any baggage attached (no to Petrino).

UKblue02 writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

I still say buy Petrino a house (for family) and a apartment (for girlfriend) and lets get rolling. This guy is a proven winner at the College level. College is a world of difference than Pro Ball. I have to admit that when you consider everything, I would much rather be a Pro Coach where you don't have to recruit or dry the snot from their noses everytime they get dumped by their girlfriends. That said, there are a lot of coaches who are extremely good at doing the things that College coaching require. Bobby Petrino is one of them. No one will know about Jon Gruden until he actually does it. Can we take the chance that he will be good at it?

Need to add to your offer..UK offered all the above mentioned items plus a new cycle...LOL

RememberWhen writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

I would agree with you but then we'd both be idiots...

whatthe84 writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

All your info? Sh*t, your info, it comes to you when you are sitting on the toilet or in your boxer shorts surfing the net. He may or may not come to UT or Arkansas or to the pros but I'm pretty sure your info adds up to about nothing at this point.

GerryOP writes:

in response to agarn:

Sources?

GVX!

RememberWhen writes:

in response to volinlm:

a couple of things folks forget when considering NFL coaches records. (1) ownership. ONLY the teams with good stable, solid ownership win year in and year out. i.e. New England and very very few others. (2) salary cap. It dictates whether a coach gets to keep enough of his good players during their prime to continually win. Usually the answer is no. (3) scouting. the teams with the best scouting departments are usually the most successful in the draft. That is, they get quality players in the middle and late rounds (which also helps with the cap) and actually fit their system. There are obviously some other things that can come in to play but these three issues are critical to an NFL coach's success or lack thereof. That said there haven't been a lot of NFL coaches come back to the college ranks and be successful. Those that have, have been high energy, high personality guys that make it fun for the players yet still run a solid, well-disciplined system and program. Gruden fits this mold. Many of his issues at Tampa were the result of the first 3 issues which is also typical when a team wins a Super Bowl for the first time. They simply don't know how to build on it, their players get overvalued by others and leave, or they pay them too much to stay after some have career years. Any arguments against Gruden simply don't hold water. Maybe he can't get it done at the college level...but to bet against it would be totally foolish.

GerryOP writes:

in response to jobrando#216494:

Another 5 year set back? The firing of Coach Dooley has aleady set the Tennessee football progam back 5 years.

GerryOP writes:

in response to JohnnyVol:

What is Gruden's record as a college football head coach?

Purple_at_Heart writes:

To me, it's really pretty basic. Haslam will determine the quality of coach we hire. To his credit, his deep pockets will fund this opportunity. We should be grateful to have the Haslam's on board.

No Petrino PLEASE!

AllVol1 writes:

in response to govolsn3:

If GRUDEN does take the job, how long is he going to get to win a national championship 1 or 2 years. Just saying, that is what most VOLS fans expect is going to happen and it just insn't going to. No matter who takes the job the very best is 4-5 years to get a SEC championship and that is only if the next coach can recruit. GRUDEN is a big name but can he go into a kids house and convince mom and dad he will be there to take care of their kids. If GRUDEN was to turn around a win or play for a national championship, he would bolt for a huge pro contract the following year. Just doesn't make a lot of sense to me for him to be interested in UT. GO VOLS>>>VFL

Good points. One thought is that the man simply misses coaching. IF he is not thinking of a pro job, then UT is a fine choice for three compelling reasons: 1. He was a grad assistant here--he knows the lay of the land at UT 2. He met his wife at UT, they have family around UT 3. UT is at rock bottom; he has nothing to lose in giving it a shot.

I don't think the UT fans expect a national championship in three years. What I think the Orange Nation wants is to see clear improvements year after year until we are truly competitive with the big boys in the SEC again. If Gruden can recruit, show real improvement, and get a few upsets in his first three years, he'll get another three or four years to take UT to Atlanta. As for a National Championship, the SEC champion is usually in that game. In my opinion, we would be thrilled with a trip to Atlanta. Beyond that is icing.

I believe it's Gruden and that we will hear about it shortly after the Kentucky game. I really hope he keeps Graham and Pittman. Go Vols.

dvols writes: