gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to tnvol4ever:

Gruden sure will make the in-laws happy at the Thanksgiving dinner table. Bringing momma's baby home to stay.

The Arkansas Thanksgiving dinner table?

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to pcorange:

I've always heard that Haslam, even though he contributes millions to the program, pretty much stays out of the AD's business unless asked for advice. I've also heard that Auburn's big money man (can't remember his name) pretty much controls whoever the AD happens to be there. I guess it is probably actually better that the money man contribute and stay out of the way. Look at Jerry Jones at Dallas: lots of money, not a lick of sense.

The money man at Auburn is Bobby Lowder.

Navaloranges writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

I see nothing has changed on this free Troll site. It's amazing how many uk, florida, etc. fans hang out on here to "set us Vol fans straight" on the "facts". The FACT is, UT football is second ONLY to bama in the SEC and only EIGHT other schools nationally, ALL TIME. So you little Troll juvies need to get your FACTS straight. You only make YOURSELF look ignorant when you make ridiculous statements like the one above. Some of you children need to find something constructive to do with your lives.

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to exlineman:

I would be willing to bet, if you have two degrees from Tn. that you still owe for your student loans. Why don't you contact your friend Fulmer and ask him to turn in half of that 6 million that he didn't deserve, after all, if he is so great he should be willing to man up and give back to the University, not just the million he contributed trying to save his job. After all Johnny Majors never got that kind of money and he forgot more about football that the great Fulmer had and will ever know about coaching. Cutcliffe and Chavis carried him when they were his assistants in other words they were the crutch that he depended on.

How many National Championships did Majors win at Tennessee??

rdavidso writes:

in response to twicevolalum:

Really, anyone seen UGA's performance lately? I guess Mark Richt is past his prime, too. You know, the issues that most of you cite, as evidence of Fulmer being a failure didn't emerge until Hamilton was A.D. But, whatever, you people just wanted him out no matter what.

No, we don't know what the process was for hiring Kiffin. But, we do know that while a fake interview was being conducted 3 years ago with Kippy Brown, Haslam and his plane were in Louisiana getting Dooley.

Why don't you donate about 50% of your income to fix this situation!

Although everyone is entitled to their own opinion, please recognize that you are very much in the minority in regards to your opinion on the Fulmer firing. I was on campus at the time and 99% of people thought he should go. With that being said, that was a long time ago so you should probably work on getting over it. Although I also "have 2 degrees from UT" (that was me mocking your arrogance by the way), it doesn't mean my opinion is fact, no matter how much I try to make myself sound like I'm better than everyone else

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to vollynn:

So...Cheek is saying he wants a top 25 university out of one side of his mouth and then turns around and punishes the academic and graduate programs for horrible financial decisions made by the athletic department. UT is such a joke. And before everyone starts talking about how UT sports makes the UT academic world work, UT Athletics doesnt pay rent for all the land for their facilities. Yes, they pay for the parking lots that the students and fans use but not the land for practice fields, practice facilities, stadiums, arenas etc. If they want to become a separate business entity as Hart has been pushing for since he arrived, then it is time to pay land lease. Oh, and every athlete has to attend classes to be able to play in the NCAA. UT academics is not collecting full tuition and fees for each of those students from UT Athletics. That should change too. They need to help pay the faculty teaching their athletes. If Cheek didnt have a plan for how to deal with all these buyouts and firings as he stated earlier this week, then he has proven himself unfit for the job. This decision today just confirms that. You cant please two masters Jimmy. And last time I checked, the university is supposed to educate people, not be a professional sports franchise.

You checked?

notorange writes:

They had better get it right this time (coach wise) sounds like the university can't stand another buyout any time soon.

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to twicevolalum:

How I personally financed my education is of no concern to you. Now, I see, you're just an old man still hanging on to Johnny Majors like a crutch.

Such a typical statement from some right winger who doesn't want an education because they might teach you something that is not approved at church!

I am a right winger and am darn proud of it!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

I guess failures by alumnus like yourself have harmed UT's reputation over the years?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to gobigorange5090:

I am a right winger and am darn proud of it!

Libertarian myself..Salute<

rockytopjeff writes:

in response to twicevolalum:

No wonder I didn't know what it was. I don't do cheap pop culture films of modern Hollywood. I do classic films. Have a nice day.

No disrespect to your highly educated, overrated opinion of yourself, but Stripes is a CLASSIC!! One of the most popular movies of all time. Maybe you should watch it, might give you a laugh. It's obvious that you could use one

twicevolalum writes:

in response to rdavidso:

1) being on campus at the time doesn't give you credence, but if you believe that it should, I will say, I too, was on campus at the time. It was pretty appalling how people acted at that time. I still say we didn't see those problems on the field until Hamilton was A.D. and when I pointed that out to your fellow classmates I was told Hamilton was the best because he got us Bruce Pearl. Well I think time has proven Hamilton was definitely a problem at UT and Bruce Pearl was evidence of that problem. 2) If you think four years is a long time ago then talk to me when you get a little more life experience. If you have actually gotten 2 degrees from UT, you would know four years goes by quickly. In terms of life, four years is not really that long at all. 3) Stating that you're not trying to make yourself sound better than everyone else, is in fact, trying to make yourself sound better than everyone else. Sorry if my screen name offends you. I've just found it useful in differentiating myself from those who have never had any investment in the University other than to buy football tickets on the street, bring their alcohol on campus, and live their life by the scoreboard in Neyland Stadium.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Libertarian myself..Salute<

..proud junglecrat. (lol)
Bones never lie.

ashvol7 writes:

in response to vollynn:

My wife and I raised our Grand Daughter, I brought her to her first UT football game when she was three. She graduated in May with honors, and a double major. She worked very hard while there, she also was part of the Pride band. My point is she received very little help from the school, plus we live two counties over from the Tn, state line and had to pay out of state fees. I have said all of this to say this, I know how much she loved UT, and how hard she worked. Some of these atheletes are going free and could care less. Sorry to ramble on and we wish everyone a very happy and safe Thanksgiving.

calvol writes:

in response to LovinMyVols:

Makes ya wanna eat at the nearest HULKABURGER franchise doesn't it? mmmmmm.... :)

Mud wrestling anyone? That was a great movie. As I type this I'm humming that little jingle and dreaming of driving the urban assault RV into Gainesville next fall to support General Chuckie and the orange army as we invade the swamp! GBO!!

rdavidso writes:

in response to twicevolalum:

1) I wasn't defending Hamilton at all, simply saying Fulmer needed to go and the majority of ppl would agree. Hamilton was terrible and I've never really heard anyone say he wasn't. 2) 4 years isn't a long time relative to life, but I was simply saying its a long time to stew over a football coach firing. If your girlfriend broke up with you and you were complaining about it 4 years later, the typical response would be "that was a long time ago, get over it", and 3) you again misunderstood me. I was using a tool called sarcasm to show that you were being pretentious and arrogant. Your screen name doesn't offend me, but your flaunting of 2 degrees doesn't mean your argument is better or correct over someone else's. In reality, obtaining 2 degrees from a university isn't all that unusual, especially when professions like a CPA actually require it.

underthehill writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

I think you are confused..Dooley did not hire himself..Dooley did not offer himself the contract or extension...

UTK722 writes:

UT students already pay one of the highest state college tuitions in the South (and country). I wonder how much this will cost the already bleeding wallets of students?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

..proud junglecrat. (lol)
Bones never lie.

Junglecrat?? Bwahahahahaha! So, what's on the opposite of that?? Desertcrat or Polarcrat?

tomkats3242 writes:

in response to vollynn:

Fire Cheek and save a ton of money from his salary. Get rid of all coachs from out of this state and get on with in state recruiting. Watch the Maryville HS program and see a good coach and well coached team.

vfl76 writes:

Don't you think Cheeks looks a little like Bart Starr in this picture above?

rb4346 writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

Do you have iside information that Gruden is not coming, if so please share with us. We will never accept mediocrity. And you Sir Bozo should not be calling others clowns. GBO

HazardKYVol writes:

in response to rockytopjeff:

I agree. I have two engineering degrees from UTK and I liked Stripes. I've seen it several times and wouldn't mind watching it again after all this talk about it.

HazardKYVol writes:

I'm at least glad to see they put the buyout on the easy payment plan.

HazardKYVol writes:

in response to vfl76:

Don't you think Cheeks looks a little like Bart Starr in this picture above?

Yes I do.

jjsteel writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

..proud junglecrat. (lol)
Bones never lie.

WD, do know of anything interesting that could happen on dec. 18th?

CrankE writes:

in response to calvol:

And my personal favorite, the "Death Before Disco" T-shirt.

Amen.

Jesse_VFL writes:

Don't forget the payout for a BCS bowl is 17 million. Go play in those bowls a few times over a decade and that can go a very long way to stabilizing the financial situation.

voodoo101 writes:

in response to twicevolalum:

THIS IS B.S. While I have especially critical of Mike Hamilton, I have no doubt that firing Coach Fulmer came with the full endorsement of Jim Haslam. Cough up your money Haslam.

Absolutely agree with you. If anyone thinks he is important enough to demand change, he needs to own it. These are the guys who used to buy players with cars and under the table money.

chuckfromwoodberry writes:

in response to calvolfromkingsport:

Funny I don't see cfromwoodfairy offering his two nickles or any of the other nonalumnus who delight in coaching changes every 2 or three years.It's only fair that they pay their fair share. But I bet they dont and wont. Doesn't even enter their thinking because that would take half a brain.

I have plenty of money to donate from all the money I'm saving on my mortgage. You see, I'm living rent free in your head. I take fulmer at his word when he said he "lost the fire". Class of '79, dbag.

CantStandCantStandSaban writes:

in response to djohnnyg:

Anyone else heard the Hart is talking with Bill Callahan-Off. Line coach Dallas Cowboys and former HC at Nebraska, as well as HC of the Raiders from 2002-2003?

If Hart is talking to Bill Callahan, I hope they're exchanging cornbread dressing recipes, cause that hire wouldn't move the meter...at all.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

You forgot to mention how you love UT more than anyone ( after bashing UT and praising the glory of Vandy). Yes, I realize you will retort with some comment suggesting your pronounced love affair with Franklin and Vandy assures you love UT more than I but I assuredly will laugh.
LOL ;)

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to CantStandCantStandSaban:

Perhaps Gruden will hire BC as an assistant..

born2ride writes:

I hope Chucky is worth it.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

Maybe they could just print more money.

ambrown64 writes:

in response to twicevolalum:

I don't know what "Francis" refers to. I have 2 degrees from UT and love the university and the athletic program. I do believe that the athletic department should be contributing to the university. It's important. I also believe that the dismantling of the football program four years ago was a knee-jerk reaction done by a mercenary athletic director taking direction from , mostly, one man. We all know the athletic department is really under the direction of one man, Jim Haslam. Pilot is on the back of the jumbotron. Glocker is now the Haslam Business Building. If he has the money to go buy his own NFL team, he's got the money to fix the mess that began four years ago without taking resources from the campus.

First of all, you are an idiot. Here are 3 reasons that you are an idiot.

1. Any male in my demographic that can't hang with a "Stripes" reference is an idiot. Were you actually not a male in the early 80's? Next thing, you'll ask "who is this Flounder? Who is Judge Smails?" Let's make this deal: I won't call you Francis and don't you dare call me Francis. You must call me "Psycho." If you call me Francis, I...forget it....you idiot.

2. The way football makes money for the University's academics is not by contributing a measly scholarship. It is by winning and having that Power T splashed all over the media, everywhere. When that happens, all the wallets open up - much more than the amount of that scholarship money.

3. For a guy with two degrees, you obviously didn't make any money, because you have that chip-on-the-shoulder hatred of guys that did.

Believe it or not, some people that have resources are actually good at what they do and good people. The Haslams are the greatest benefactors to the University, and to the entire area of East Tennessee. They give large sums to build schools, hospitals, business, towns, etc, but they also have the sophistication and restraint to resist calling every shot. Big Jim has been that sort of donor, and the boys have been as well.

When the Haslam family does put its hands on something, they generally take full responsibility for building ethics and excellence into it. And they work hard. They are not the type to chomp on their cigars and bully everyone with their money.

Why do guys like you have to hate on anyone that has done well? Especially people that spread that money around? I know the answer: because you are an idiot. And don't call me Francis. Its Psycho.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to jjsteel:

WD, do know of anything interesting that could happen on dec. 18th?

Witch Doctor scratch head? Witch Doctor not sure yet...
Bones never lie.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to twicevolalum:

Stop crying son. I would think 2 UT degrees would help you read. Cheek CLEARLY stated that the academic side would not be neglected. Just that the money wouldn't come from the AD for the next 3 years, but from other sources.....Donors. So stop crying.

hueypilot writes:

in response to twicevolalum:

I love how freely some would spend other people's money. Letting the other guy do it is always the convenient way out of a problem.

TNVOLNTX writes:

in response to twicevolalum:

With all due respect oh arrogant one, your screen name proves nothing, nor does it "differentiate" you from anyone else on this site who may or may not be presenting an accurate representation of who or what they truly are. I will grant you this: you are definitely the most condescending person on the site. Here's a suggestion, although I'm sure you're far too superior to heed it. Put those savy research skills, that you certainly acquired while earning those UT degrees, to good use and read up on Title IX. Most D-1 athletic departments ceased contributions to the academic side of the house between 1981 - 1999 as a result of court rulings related to Title IX. Not that I'm suggesting you should let the facts get in the way of your soapbox rant. I'm just saying...

TNVOLNTX writes:

in response to ambrown64:

First of all, you are an idiot. Here are 3 reasons that you are an idiot.

Well said!

1959Vol writes:

in response to TennesseeTuxedo:

A financially strong UTAD and football team is one of the biggest draws for top students that you could ever have. As late as last week, Cheek was fighting this tooth and nail. Some higher ups either applied some finesse or pulled a power play. Great decision.

Actually, strong academic credentials are the biggest draw for top students. For instance, Harvard, MIT, Duke, Vanderbilt, etc., are much more attractive to top students than are Tennessee, Alabama, LSU, etc. But Tennessee has been making significant strides in academic excellence in recent years. Still a ways to go though.

Offsuit83 writes:

in response to Jesse_VFL:

"Go play in those bowls a few times over a decade and that can go a very long way to stabilizing the financial situation."

The SEC pools Bowl payouts and distributes the money evenly to all member institutions. Don't let facts get in the way though, no one else does.

CCLC writes:

So UT's academic side will be paying Dooley's 5 million dollars. The athletic department is the poorest of the poor in the SEC. They didn't have the money to pay him. And if the big wig donors don't opens their wallets, they won't have the money to pay their next coach either.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to CCLC:

Yeah, keep thinking that troll..UT donors have done some dealing the last 24 hours in regards to our next coach..Child's play.

HazardKYVol writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor scratch head? Witch Doctor not sure yet...
Bones never lie.

I'm more interested in what is going to happen on December 21st. Any ideas?

dcap8424 writes:

in response to tensie2004:

About damn time! When was the last time 100,000 people showed up and paid $50 each to see a math contest. GO BIG ORANGE ATHLETIC!!!!

That sounds awesome! Who do I make the check out to?

jjsteel writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor scratch head? Witch Doctor not sure yet...
Bones never lie.

Day after last Monday night football game. HMMM.
Maybe an announcement?

jjsteel writes:

in response to HazardKYVol:

I'm more interested in what is going to happen on December 21st. Any ideas?

Another Friday. Life goes on.

cltvol writes:

in response to CCLC:

makes sense for them to pay,,he acted more like a perfesser than coach