djohnnyg writes:

Guys, even IF they bring in Gruden and he leaves after a few years he will have already lifted UT out of the doldrums with a few top 5 recruiting classes.

4 star recruits like football..they WATCH football, they KNOW who Gruden is. He's a celebrity with a reputation tied in with success at the PRO level...which is where these kids wanna be.

He would truly leave UT in a better position than he found it and a strong base for whomever came after him.

Gruden would be an absolute godsend for UT. Don't kid yourselves.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to Vols_fan_27:

Allow me to play devils advocate here on the Gruden issue... Lets say he puts together back to back top recruiting classes, has us competing in the Top 5 in the country (like many of those calling for us to Hire him think we will be) and in 3 years is offered an NFL Job because of the work he has done in the past in the league and what he has done at UT since being hired... NFL will pay more than a University and there could be the possibility of us looking for another coach in 4-5 years beacuse afterall, Gruden's heart is in the NFL... just saying... I think there are better options out there...GBO!

Don't underestimate the power of a wife. Dan Mullen accepted the MSU job, in large part, because Megan said she really liked the area when she covered the Women's US Open golf tournament at Old Waverly back in 1999.

Gruden's former UT cheerleader wife may really want to come home and stay.

We're allowed to hope and dream.

Dalton writes:

After the initial thud of a change in coaching comes the fun part...speculation and declarative statements...both pro and con on potential candidates. We like the confident "We got this" mentality unless it turns out not to be true. Whenever the next head coach is announced I only ask that he be allowed to unpack before creative plays on his name are unleashed

Offsuit83 writes:

in response to BufordTJustice:

I'm sick and tired of hearing Al Golden's name mentioned as a possible coach. He is a zero....had 2 decent years a Temple. Repeat, TEMPLE. In the M.A.C. won some close games against lowly M.A.C. and lower level teams. Any halfway decent non-conference opponents (very few...they scheduled mostly barber schools out of conference) absolutely jackhammered Al Golden's Fightin' HootOwls. He has done NOTHING, ZERO, NADA. Miami fans and national media were speechless when they hired him. We would be replacing Dooley with Dooley. Same for Charlie strong. He's a little above .500 in a pansy conference. Signature win is Cincinnati. As bad as we have been, we have dominated teams on the level of Louisville's toughest competition. Plus, he'sa race card playing cry-baby. While many many many assistant coaches go their entire career without getting a head coaching offer, Strong, while still at a young age, whined publicly a couple of years ago that he wasn't getting H.C. offers because he's black and married to a white woman. Never mind that he hopped around from college to college, lateral moves, etc., showing no loyalty to anyone. If we end up hiring one of these clowns, I'm signing up for the SouthWest European B-League cricket season pass on Dish Network for $1.58.

Nice rant. Temple was in the A-10 when Al Golden coached there, though. You were probably too busy coming up with that Dish Network zinger to make sure your facts were accurate.

tmcretired writes:

I just hope they pick someone that turns the program around. I know fans are hoping Gruden I think that would be great and UT needs to sell out the tickets every game that is the game to get to the top of the SEC

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to asleep#212036:

It doesn't matter whom you beat, it only matters you beat your peer group, something Golden and Strong did and are doing, something Dooley (and soon to be fired Chizik) did not do at any level. Saying a MAC coach shouldn't be hired because all he did was beat MAC teams is silly. That would be like saying Saban can't coach because his Alabama teams would lose in the NFL.... so what? Strong, Golden, Fedora, Jones - they've all shown an ability to take a certain level of players and beat their peers who have the same level of players. Give them better players and they will beat better teams. Kind of like Meyer (Bowling Green/Utah), Tressel (Youngstown State), Spurrier (Duke), and Saban (Toledo) - 'nuff said. I'm not saying we should hire Golden, Strong, or any of these guys but they can all coach. And any coach we get will be a "hopper" - if they aren't, they won't leave where they are....And Strong is 52 years old, 50 when he got his first HC job - not really that young. Yes, he did vaguely attribute the lag to race but that was as much the liberal media putting it out there as a theory as his claiming it. He's winning at Louisville, he was a stellar defensive coach at South Florida and Florida (a 3-time Broyles award finalist), he can recruit Florida, he is black, which at lily-white UT could help with recruiting, and he is squeaky clean, something the NCAA will love. Bottom line, I would be perfectly happy to have him but my guess is that he doesn't have enough HC experience to meet Hart's criteria, whatever they are. Go Vols!!!

Personally, I want Gruden, but if we get Strong that would be one hell of a second choice for all the reasons you set forth. I am impressed with what he has done at Louisville and others should be impressed as well. He has dominated the Big East which is exactly what you want in a coaching candidate.

txvolsfan writes:

in response to movol53:

Any coach that is worth our attention will still be involved with his current team until at least the last week of Dec / or first week of Jan 2013. The exception would be Gruden who will wait until later in Jan 2013 to see if and which NFL team maybe interested in hiring him. So from where I sit it looks like we are going to"loss" one recruiting class. 18 year olds will not wait until the last minute; even for someone who won a Super Bowl when they were 4 o 5 years old. These young ones probably have no clue who Gruden is except that they see him on ESPN; as an announcer. And may think - - if Gruden is still a good coach then why his he not coaching somewhere?

You should see Gruden at the clinics and QB camps he does. These young kids think that he is a rock star and migrate to him!!! He would bring in great recruits!!!
GO VOLS
TXVOLSFAN

mlynn1 writes:

in response to born2ride:

We need to get over this obsession with Chucky and focus on hiring a successful college coach who can win like Gary Patterson and Bob Stoops.

I like Bob Stoops, damn, did I just agree with you?

rbpexman writes:

Art Briles? Any thoughts on him?

vettefool writes:

why would bob stoops( this is idiotic) or any other successful coach at a major program leave to come to ut. their current schools would match or exceed any salary ut could raise.

utfan36 writes:

Its a hush,hush time! what until after the UT vs KY then they will come out with it if they have him!then recriting will be fun i know if i was a 5* recriut i would want to play for CJG! and if CJG wanted to coach in the NFL he would already be there coaching he has had job offer after job offer and turned them down! i say he is comming to Knoxville

jjsteel writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

Gruden is the best make it happen. I live in bama and a bama booster called in local sports show. Bama fears him taking this job. It is like he said what 18 year old kid would not go play for gruden. He is a work-holic. He can get the best folks on his staff.

I agree 100%. I do a lot of business with guys in Bama, they all say the same thing. Gruden at Tennessee will definitely heat up the recruiting war,and Saban will have to crank it up a notch or two. Gruden would make the SEC even better by making the other coaches work harder to keep up.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

Gruden could have an NFL job at the snap of a finger, so I'm not sure why some think he would come here only to leave in 3-4 years. One of the stipulations in early negotiations was that Gruden wanted a long term contract from UT. As for his tenure with the Bucs....they gave up 2 first round picks, 2 second round picks, and a third rounder to get Gruden. So after winning a SB with an older team, the loss of draft picks hurt the Bucs ability to rebuild. Not to mention, lots of the money from the Bucs ownership was going towards their then newly purchased Manchester United soccer team. Gruden got a big screw job from the Bucs upper management. I mean COME ON MAN!!!!! He won a freaking SB with the Bucs...need I say more? And since everyone wants to say that he won with Dungy's guys...why the hell didn't Dungy win the SB with them? I've yet to hear an answer to that question from the haters.

As for Gruden's .540 win % in the NFL people keep ragging on, that's darn good in the NFL! If some of you haters would do some research and quit hating you would see that's a really good win % in the pros.

Jon Gruden- .540
Bill Parcells-.569
Dick Vemiel-.524
Chuck Noll-.566
Mike Ditka-.560
Lovie Smith-.565
Mike Shanahan-.562
Mike Holmgren-.592
Andy Reid-.597

These are dudes I just pulled off the top of my head who I think are pretty damn good coaches. Gruden's NFL record is more than respectable. Many on this list are Hall of Famers without a second thought. I'll gladly hang up and listen to what you have to say.

BufordTJustice writes:

In Response To. DUMB and DUMBER

Temple FOOTBALL, in the years 2007AD - 2011AD, competed in the MAC, or Mid Atlantic Conference.

Also of note for window lickers/ crayon eaters: Mid Atlantic does not mean they were briefly swept out to sea. They are safe and sound on dry land in Pennsylvania. They were kicked out of the Big East for a period of time for low attendance/ non competitiveness.

Vol43 writes:

Got up this morning, fetched the paper, got my coffee and settled in to read the sports. It's Thanksgiving and lots of talk about football. SEC contenders, bowl games, even a piece about ESPN picking up the championship game next year for $500 mil per year. There was talk of Georgia being in the big BCS picture, but nowhere was there any mention of my Vols. There are 35 bowl games and we aint gonna be in any of them. I'm sick of it. I'm sick of being a bottom feeder and getting our butts kicked around all year. I don't care who the Vols get, I just want to be in contention. After the Kentucky game, it's over for the Vols until next year. I remember living in Orlando and the Vols would come to the Citrus Bowl. I would go downtown for the parade and the Pride of the Southland Band would be marching and playing Rocky Top. Oh well. This sucks.....Bad.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to jjsteel:

UT getting Gruden would be like going 4-4 with 4 grand slams in game 7 of the World Series. And it's funny, most of the ones saying Gruden would not do good here are the same ones who said Dooley was the 2nd coming of Christ.

People better get ready, because all indicators point towards him coming. Don't be blinded by the other coaches being named, those are smokescreens. And don't forget, UT being a state job, they have to have the job posted and conduct a certain amount of interviews before they can just out and name him coach without giving other candidates a "fair" shot. Plus, both parties need to save face in this deal. They don't want it to look like they were negotiating a deal through back channels while Dooley was still coach. Which is what it would look like if they hired him today. UT nor Gruden want that kind of PR backlash. So be patient people, it's looking really good.

I also find it interesting that Arkansas offering Gruden a couple of days ago went public nationally, as did him turning them down. Whether we get Gruden or not, we ARE all in for him and heavily pursuing him, which is now getting nation attention as well. Yet for some reason....not a peep from Gruden's party. The silence is deafening. It really looks like this thing might happen.

utfan36 writes:

in response to TKO:

Will be Petrino

no! he bolted from UL to go coach Atlanta he left there( in the middel of the nite ) and DID NOT address his team and now look what he done at UA he is troubel he is a LANE KITTEN! i would have CPF back before Petrino you cant trust him! the only way UT will even conseder him is if there was 100 million buy out if he leaves before his contract is up!

BufordTJustice writes:

Bwaaa..in my research to confirm I was originally correct, as always, I confused myself with the 2 MACs. They were Mid American for Golden's tenure. Left Mid Atlantic in the 50s or thereabouts.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to Vol43:

When you support a certified loser named Derrick Dooley that's what you get. Loving the University is no excuse for tolerating his many shortcomings as a HC. That's like saying I love my wife so it's okay if she fails miserably or cheats on me. Because hey...I love her. And then bashing anyone who points out that I'm getting played. So sit back and enjoy the ride. Because this is what you asked for when you criticized others for calling it for what it was with Dooley.

cltvol writes:

remember when Sabans' name came up for AL job everyone, including Saban,said no way no way no way and then he got hired...same on the Gruden talk

utfan36 writes:

in response to MitchelCrass:

Terry bowden

bring both bowden brothers one has been in the SEC and one in acc they might getter dun in knoxville! daddy bowden he hates UT because of the THUMPING in 98! i dont see a bowden in TN orange

Vol43 writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Hey RR, I was listening to 104.5 here in Nashville yesterday. Clay Travis was talking to Erin Andrews. They have a bet on UT's coaching choice. If it's Gruden, she has to sing Rocky Top. Anyway, she's talking and says that a well connected person who also knows Gruden told her to start practicing the tune. I dunno. BTW, you gave me the best golf tip. Thanks.

Vol43 writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

I just read the rest of your ridulous diatribe. You just can't help yourself, can you richy rich. Even on Thanksgiving you have to be an ahole. You aint out to make many friends are you RR. That's sad. I supported Dooley, as did many, while you trashed him at every opportunity. At least we gave him a chance; you NEVER did. So, how about them apples, sourpuss!

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to Vol43:

I heard that. However, I'm 50/50 on believing anything the media says. In fact when they say it's NOT gonna happen I'm more inclined to think it will happen. 3 days before Kiffin was hired Hyams said " Lane Kiffin will not be the coach at UT". Now he says it's a 5% chance Gruden comes here, which in my eyes means its probably a 95% chance. You also have to remember that while all of the local media like Hyams and Brent Hubbs might not work DIRECTLY for the athletic department, they are dependent upon them for a lot of their info. So even if they knew it was happening they won't break the story until they get a full go from the powers that be. Otherwise they could be shut off from future groundbreaking info in regards to the UT AD. The AD is being really tight lipped about all of this. Gruden might not coach here. But it won't be for lack of trying. There's too much smoke for there not to be a fire blazing somewhere behind the scene.

Scoon writes:

'PooBear! ... 43! ... It's Thanksgiving for Pete's Sake!!

Vol43 writes:

in response to Scoon:

'PooBear! ... 43! ... It's Thanksgiving for Pete's Sake!!

I was just being nice. He started it. He can't play nice in the sandbox.

DaveVol writes:

Everyone please think outside of the box. Gruden will come to Tennessee and rebuild the program to win championships. His buyout will be big but his soon to be NFL owner will pay it. It is the same owner who is the booster paying for him to come to Tennessee. The Haslams have it all worked out!

Scoon writes:

in response to Vol43:

I was just being nice. He started it. He can't play nice in the sandbox.

'PooBear, put on yo Thanksgiving Best, then get in the sandbox to play NICE with 43, or no honey for you today!! Gobble Gobble

Toodles,

the Scoon

RememberWhen writes:

If Gruden is truly in the mix - and I hope he is - TN has to either hire him or move on very quickly. Gruden has the potential to draw this out much longer than TN can afford so it really needs to be "here's our offer...yes or no..." and move on either way. Petrino may elect to wait a bit but he's not really in a situation to be making too many demands and could look to take the first serious, big job offer. To lose Gruden and Petrino would mean another bad choice cause there isn't really anybody better than those two going to be available.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to Vol43:

I trashed Dooley? Well how bout that? Just as you trashed everyone for repeatedly telling you he was a joke of a coach. Don't blame me because you couldn't see it, blame yourself. I've been around long enough to know a half arse coach when I see one. Why should I sit on my hands and act like its all good when it ain't.

Answer this....which is worse for the University? Dooley being the HC, or getting someone in here who can coach some darn football? Because up until this point, you have more than made your claim that Dooley is the best thing for this program. While all along it has been a disaster of epic proportions waiting to blow up in our faces. So why should we listen to anything you have to say? Your so called "supporting the program" could have potentially destroyed the actual program you "love" had the powers that be listened to "knowledgeable", "credible" brainiacs like yourself. So suck on that with your turkey! And why would I try to be friends with you? I've sit back and allowed you to trash me on this site for over a year in your defense of your beloved Dooley. Now its time for you to sit back and take your medicine like a man. Otherwise get lost and let the "real fans" discuss UT football.

RememberWhen writes:

in response to DaveVol:

dave...dave....time to wake up dave...time for kindergarten....

RememberWhen writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

well....I'll second that!

Vol43 writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

"Because up until this point, you have more than made your claim that Dooley is the best thing for this program." These are your words. Show me where I made this claim and I'll wait. RR, I've tried to be nice to you, but there aint no being nice cause you won't allow it, so blow it out yo butt, jerk.

DaveVol writes:

in response to RememberWhen:

dave...dave....time to wake up dave...time for kindergarten....

Hey, show me a better rumor. It will be in the paper tomorrow...besides I'm in a good mood waiting for the turkey!

Colliervol writes:

in response to MitchelCrass:

Terry bowden

The Doughnut King? I don't want to have to look at another Mangino or Weis on the sidelines. Right now, he has to hold out his arms so you can tell if he's walking or rolling.

Vol43 writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

One more thing Einstein, do you realize how many others you're calling out. Other posters, whose jock strap you couldn't carry, who have supported this coach in spite of it all. Here's the part you can't seem to grasp.....WE DIDN'T HIRE DOOLEY. It wasn't our call. For some stupid reason, you seem to think so. Have a pleasant Thanksgiving RR and try to be nice to your family, if you can. Bet they make you eat at the kiddies table. No, the kids would make you take it outside.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to vettefool:

The SEC is the lure as much as anything..

Coach_K writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Jon Gruden- .540
Bill Parcells-.569
Dick Vemiel-.524
Chuck Noll-.566
Mike Ditka-.560
Lovie Smith-.565
Mike Shanahan-.562
Mike Holmgren-.592
Andy Reid-.597

Very good points all of them. You only forgot one thing. For all the people who say he won with Dungy's team. You have to remember who he played against in that SB....The Oakland Raiders team the HE BUILT!

Colliervol writes:

in response to DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho:

My thoughts exactly. We could do a whole lot worse than Charlie Strong.

Colliervol writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Obsession still showing. Sad thing to watch.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to Scoon:

'PooBear! ... 43! ... It's Thanksgiving for Pete's Sake!!

Funny how you were nowhere to be found but you suddenly appear to defend your boyfriend 43. Which is consistent with how it's happened in the past. Which fits right along with my theory that you and 43 are in fact the same person. I've ALWAYS felt that way and I ALWAYS will. When 43 can't get anyone to come to his defense, he busts out his second screen name to come to his aid to make himself look and feel like he's got some support.

Quit crying and respond to the points in my post. Prove me wrong and I will disappear. I'll say it again. 43's love for Dooley was leading us on a one way track to disaster. I know it as do a few others. 43 has smashed me along with others in defense of Dooley. MANY...MANY. indicators point towards Dooley being the worst coach in UT history. For 43 to come one here poking his chest out and acting like he's all that is laughable at best. And to pull you out of the woodworks in his defense is even worse. You can call me what you want and say what you want to me. But everyone else has read my posts for as long as I've been here as they've read 43's. To support Dooley is one thing. But to do it at the expense of smashing others to prove his point is another. I'll say it again. He took such a strong stance for Dooley at the expense of others that his BS is the last thing we wanna hear when discussing a coaching search. And now that he's been proven to be a fool he's trying the same approach. Everything has come full circle and he knows he looks like a loser...deep down he knows.

By the way, there are others on here who believed Dooley was the answer JUST AS MUCH AS 43 did. HOWEVER, they voiced their opinions in a respectable manner. I have the most respect for those dudes to this very day. Because they didn't have to smash folks to get their point across. They respected others while voicing their opinion. While 43 continued smashing others to get his point across. So while I have the utmost respect for some who supported Dooley in a respectful manner (they know who they are), I'll never respect 43 until the day I'm pushing up daisies. It is what it is, so I suggest you move on.

Sir_Spanky writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

Bring him on. No one is afraid of Gruden getting the job.

The mullet-clad man with Marlboro's rolled up in his T-shirt has spoken! Yo! There's a Thanksgiving special today on Waffle House steak dinners. Better hurry 4 they all get gone!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Happy Thanksgiving to all of Volnation..And Scooner as well..GBO!!

Colliervol writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

You know you really aren't crazy when you talk to yourself. It's when you answer yourself when you know there's a problem.

And yes, you and your alter ego have beaten that mule to death. Most failures that I know in this life live in the past and can't move on. You might want to think about that.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Sir_Spanky:

These idiot bammers have a coach they're scared of?? What a bunch of wimps..I remember Saban getting the gig at bammer and fear was never an emotion I experienced. In fact, I would go right up to Saban and slap the taste out of his mouth before I would ever fear him..JAT.

Colliervol writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Hallelujah. Will wonders never cease? The first post you've ever made on here that didn't mention CDD. And maybe the first one that I've ever agreed with. I'm starting to worry about that Mayan calendar thing now.

volforeverandever writes:

I have 2 friends who are in the million dollar club and when they both tell me the same thing they are 100 percent correct They say this the best kept secret they have ever seen in the UT athlletic department.They have both been told that nobody in the athletlic department knows anything and only Dave Hart knows who he has talked to.They are speculating like everyone else.One thing they both were told that it was highly doubtful it would be Petrino.They both said when they asked if Gruden was possible they were told that it was but that again they were just guessing like everyone else. Only Dave knows.All this we are hearing is just a guess.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to Vol43:

Many of "those others" you speak of stood by Dooley in a RESPECTFUL MANNER. They voiced their opinions while respecting the opinions of others. To them I hold the highest amount of respect to this day. Something I will never do for you. In another post you challenged me to point out your blind support for Dooley. Did you really just go there? Really? People read these posts, we all know what stance you so strongly took and stood by. I'm done with this, as this argument has went far enough. No need to destroy this thread. You stated your case and I've stated mine. So quit crying in the cranberry sauce as others might wanna eat some.

CCLC writes:

When you think about it right now Tennessee lives solely on reputation. It's been a while since UT was relevant. They have no in state talent to speak of (Memphis does have talent). Georgia, Florida or LSU can be down for a while and bounce back because they are sitting right on top of that in state talent, even if they don’t get all the best players in their states they still get enough good ones that a good coach can come in and when pretty quick. On the other hand there really is no limit to how far Tennessee can fall, they can be Kentucky or more accurately Minnesota (a school with a championship past that fades into irrelevancy) if they stay down too long.
Heard the Haslam boys are driving/funding the search committee and willing to spend what it takes, Peyton also involved in assisting the group. Seems they feel this program is at a crossroads and cannot afford to make another mistake because they will slip further than they can make up. Probably not too far off on that assessment, lot of newcomers making a name for themselves and TN hasn’t been relevant in a while.

Vol43 writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

RR, I am rolling on the floor. If you had any sense at all, you'd be embarrassed. <ahem> Scooner is not me. Scooner lives in Kentucky and I live in Nashville. Does that help? I could tell you more, but I'm not. You're so funny, bless your heart. I hope ignorance is bliss, cause you sure do have a lot of it. I really try to be nice to you, but you won't allow it. Hey, I just finished reading that junk of yours. You don't get it RR and perhaps you're incapable. One last time and I'll type slowly just for you. I, among other faithful Vol fans, supported coach Dooley because he was the coach. Did I think he was the best hire? No. He was a last minute choice by Hamilton just before recruiting day came upon us. A hurried situation to be sure. Because he was the coach of our Vols, I supported him; you never did. All you did was trash him. What good purpose does that do RR? At the risk of being redundant: I supported coach Dooley because he was our coach. You seem to have an underlying purpose and that is to get me blacklisted. Well have fun with that RR because I aint 'moving on'. Most other posters can understand my position, but obviously you can't and all you're concerned about is trashing any fan who supported this man. I challenge you to prove your accusations. Show me where I said the things you claim. 'Dooley is the answer'. Where did I say that. I'm waiting. Screw you richy and everybody that looks like you.