Millisa writes:

I know Coach Gruden aint happy about this and I know He will do something about it

volnvette03 writes:

Wow, we have the only undefeated coach in the SEC and he has no discipline over the players! Start the Chaney cup!! LOL

OrangeBloodFlood writes:

in response to Vols20:

Ever drink too much and act like an idiot while in college? Yea, me too. It's a bad choice, and he will pay the consequences. However, it's not the end of the world.

No, it's not the end of the world in fact could be a great life lesson.Hope Antoine Davis can talk some sense to him.

OLROCKYTOP writes:

Who cares, college kid drinks to much and gets arrested. If it had been a normal student it wouldn't have been a story on this website. Btw hypocrites shouldn't "throw stones in glass houses".

varnellvol writes:

in response to NYvolFan:

Not related, but a shocking report about Dooley's recruiting practices:

Dooley was a dip wad. He treated everyone at UT, from his assistant coaches to players to managers like they were beneath him. He's a pompous a**. He didn't build any type of relationship with anyone because he was too worried about how his orange pants looked and what shoes to wear with them.

Again, what goes around comes around. You can't treat people like phooey and expect good things to happen.

Hopefully our next coach will value EVERY current member and potential member of the Tennessee program. It is an essential component if we are going to re-build.

pcorange writes:

I don't understand why these men can't get it through their thick skulls that they are held to a higher standard than other students. They may not think that's fair, but that is just the way it is. Downs has shamed himself, but worse than that he has shamed the Tennessee Football program publicly. I think Chaney needs to deal with this swiftly and harshly to send a message that just because Coach is gone isn't an indication that they can go wild. Shame on you, Brendan Downs. Think about what and who you are affecting before you go out and pull a drunk in a public place.

Vols4Ever writes:

in response to varnellvol:

I attempt to use a term associated with a dice game that began with the letter c and ended up with a p word. Same here?

people like phooey and expect good things to happen.

varnellvol writes:

in response to Vols4Ever:

people like phooey and expect good things to happen.

another word for dog do

pcorange writes:

in response to NYvolFan:

Not related, but a shocking report about Dooley's recruiting practices:

Thanks for the link. I'll tell you what. I've thought all along that Dooley was a good guy that just couldn't coach, but this is hard to believe. Heck, his daddy is a living legend, you'd think he would have taught a little something about the job along the way. I was already glad to get rid of Dooley, but I'm damn glad to be rid of him now. This article completely changed my opinion of him. If there are this many smoking guns that he was actually an arrogant, pompous, SOB instead of the nice guy he portrayed himself to be in press conferences, there is probably some truth to it. Thank God and Greyhound he's gone. I will be glad to get our new coach in here and watch him rebuild this program.

tulelakevol writes:

That link to the times free press is damning. Wow if a 1/4 of that is true, just unbelievable.

GloryDays writes:

Everyone at some point in time especially when you are young does something stupid. That being said, you don't become an alcoholic by drinking your first drink but every alcoholic had a first drink. Alcohol is one thing that is destroying America. I have known several people who start drinking and it has eventually killed them. I know it is the "in" thing to do but it will eventually destroy you. I pray America will wake up before it is too late.

tulelakevol writes:

Will there be a link on GVX to that story?

alavol writes:

in response to volnvette03:

why not offer chaney permanent hc?

gwh_1947 writes:

Gee! When I was at UT in the 60's, I had an ID that said I was legal to drink and visited many a bars in Knoxville. If it were another student, they would be answering to their parents alone and not the media as well. He made a mistake which is part of the growing up process. He should receive some kind of probation from the athletic department. Post against me if you did not have a drink when you were under 21, or inhaled a joint. He is still growing up and this is a lesson learned.

AlexAndersonAAradio writes:

We always played better when they did get in trouble. Bring back Fulmer and turn them loose!!!

RockyToptoNeyland writes:

I was there....don't remember seeing him, though I was pretty messed up too

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

Two things: 1) those gloves are pretty awesome and 2) holy God this arrest is NOT indicative of anything.

Downs got arrested for public intoxication. That's a step up from felony theft (Clear), armed robbery (Kiffin's boys), and aggravated assault (maybe not Da'Rick Rodgers...right???). If this is what UT football players are going to be arrested for, this is a step in the right direction.

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to Vols20:

Exactly
Been a long year
Very surprised so far only 1

Lots of steps in store I suppose

Down_The_Field writes:

we all need a drink after this season. just glad he never made it behind the wheel.

volinlm writes:

Explaining to his momma and daddy (as Bear would say)is his biggest problem.

Vol-in-GA writes:

I didn't realize college kids drank alcohol! Man, this is a big story.

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to AlexAndersonAAradio:

Get over it already. Fulmer isnt coming back.

dvols writes:

Whiskey Dix......

calvol writes:

Nothing like living in a fishbowl, with the whole world (well the KNS staff, at least) watching and commenting on your every move. BFD. Kid, you deserve a drink after this season.

JayTee writes:

He should have just got drunk and throwed beer bottles at cars in the parking lot. That isn't against the law in Knoxville if your under age.

Mikeah writes:

Nothing I did not do my freshman year at Tennessee. Fortunately I had several Fraternity brothers that got me out of the pokie, without parental notification. The city did notify Dean Burchett’s office and I got to see the Dean once a month for a while. No big deal! However as a Father of three boys if that was one of my sons there would be serious ramifications for stupidity.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to Vols4Ever:

people like phooey and expect good things to happen.

Try typing cr@p next time.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

A college student drinking!

What will happen next?

wagee12 writes:

OMG, Woodpecker is all over this story isn't he? I don't blame Downs for wanting to flush this season out of his system. Oh, btw, what was that score you predicted for Saturday's game again there Woodpecker?

123forVOLS writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor say we all did it. Witch Doctor say make him run grass-cutters thats what Coach Mawk made us do. Witch Doctor say he will puke and that makes the world be a better place again..lol
Bones never lie.

Sorry witchy, I have to disagree with "we all did it." Some of us didn't. We may be in the minority and looked on as square but we chose not to take any steps down the destructive road which alcohol often leads. That does not make the "us" any better, just a little wiser. I grow weary of the "we all did it" posts even though I acknowledge many did do it. Any who do and who are in high profile places(yeah UT football is not as high as it once was), can expect to reap what they sow.

silvertr6#393170 writes:

Nothing like having the KNS media police, judge and jury there to punish and find fault prior to the facts.

62vol writes:

in response to darbhoo:

Any of you ever consume too much alcohol before you were 21? Let's not let this start a major deal. They are all kids like each of you were.

Let the first of you with no sin caste the first stone.

Agreed.

The article could have been entitled" Let us beat writers create a troubled off season scenario" to stir the posting pot for our dedicated but naive readers.

Supersayin1 writes:

I'm noticing a trend on this topic!! It's so funny, well actually when you think about it it's SAD! I'm seeing most of my UT faithful giving this kid a pat on the back for this. I WONDER Why?

Because on a few other stories of rule breaking so many of you were damming the kids to hell, and calling them Thugs, hoodlums, a Cancer etc etc!! I really hope that i'm not seeing what I think i'm seeing from my brothers in Orange! IJS!

ClearVol writes:

in response to Tru138:

Disturbing.

Wow, that IS quite telling. The lack of experience as well as strategy. The next staff should learn from this.. We can only hope...

cyclonevol87 writes:

Wow we will never get a big name coach now with players on the team that drink we are in big trouble.

BadBob70 writes:

in response to darbhoo:

Let the first of you with no sin caste the first stone.

Yeah, I consumed alcohol before I was 21. I never got in a fight. Never got kicked out of a bar. Never yelled and cussed at a bouncer. I also helped some out of control Vols get settled down and not get arrested, even though both of us had more to drink than we should have had.

A personal rule of never getting so out of control you get arrested doesn't seem like too high a bar to clear for any student...

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to pcorange:

The TFP article didn't surprise me at all. It was an overt confirmation of what I knew had to be true. And there has been other overt evidence also.

Dooley is an arrogant jerk and people don't want to work for him.

Walt

UT '81

RememberWhen writes:

and he was the only TN student arrested for underage drinking this weekend I bet.....waiting for the headline "TN Science Scholar arrested...." - they're both on scholarship.....

pdhuff#552644 writes:

I would submit that a week in an electric chair would be a suitable punishment.

If he was a Vol not named Patterson there is little chance he would have been quick enough to outrun the cops.

EMBuckles writes:

in response to 123forVOLS:

UH OH! Disagreeing with Witch Doctor! Dat be bery bad Mon! You'll only have yourself to blame if you end up with a shrunken head eatin' monkey brain pot pies! I agree with Witch Doctor! Make Downs run 'till he pukes! World be better place again! Bones never lie! ;>

rbwtn writes:

we forget they are kids and some never grow-up.