UTAlum88 (Inactive) writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Man! 10 more minutes of my life wasted reading another article that says absolutely nothing!

KNS, please hire some writers with something to say that is original.

It took you ten minutes to read this article?

The Adams et al bashing is beyond old and stale. If you are so disgruntled with what's published by KNS, perhaps practice your reading elsewhere.

But please do practice..because 10 minutes to read this article..WOW.

Red_October writes:

in response to titletownz:

~yawn~

golfman1975 writes:

in response to Go4Two:

Let's hire coach Fulmer and be done with it

Why would he be stupid enough to get burned again?

Snapshot writes:

in response to bobbyutvol:

I agree look at Kansas St coach who went back they are 10-1. Fulmer love Tennessee and can recruit we could do much worse

If he could recruit, Fulmer would not have lost to Wyo. at home and had 2 losing seasons in 4 yrs.

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

Get over it. I wasn't around then, but I seriously doubt if UT fans were satisfied with Majors' 6-5 and 7-4 seasons. Majors was fired, you know.

I was around and there were many UT fans who were satisfied, only because Majors was coach. Eventually the powers that be got tired of it. But it wasnt only losses that got Majors fired, it was his arsehole attitude towards major UT boosters.

utvols1 writes:

in response to pomp_and_circumstance:

The search is over! Gene Chizk is meeting with Hart in Chattanooga as I write this.

how the f do you know this? sources instead of your bs.

manniesghost1903 writes:

In my opinion Dave Hart should have a Head Coach signed immediately after the SEC Championship Game. UT would have roughly 8 weeks to chnange recruit minds before National Signing day in February 2013. Of the current recruits only Reeves-Maybin, Ferguson and Harris appear to be SEC calibre. The next administration will have its work cut out if he waits any longer. If all else fails maybe Chaney needs a shot at head coach. He is 1-0. I'd prefer him over another Derek Dooley type. I also know this is not the best option but UT needs some sort of plan B as National Signing day draws closer.

whiskeyman writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

Well I was around and Majors firing had nothing to do with his won loss record of any year. His demand and yes I said "demand" to be both AD and Head Football Coach was not acceptable to then President Ed Boling; ( which btw: is the greatest President we ever had) would not allow the dual role. He stated as reasoning the unacceptable job Pat Dye was doing in the dual role at Auburn. Majors believing he was bigger than UT tried to force their hand and got it cut off. It wasn't so much that he demanded it but in the way he did so with what he believed was his inherent right. John Terrell Majors was and remains today the epidemy of Tennessee Football. But he was wrong then and remains so today. He would have made a great AD, but not both. The other side was that Clemson had requested permission to talk to Phillip Fulmer about becoming their new coach, and UT could not let that happen. Phillip went on to return Tennessee back to the days of old and the rest is history! The vote to buy him out was unanimous!

TheStupidPolice writes:

in response to Sweet:

NOW EVERYBODY TALKING ABOUT THROWING THE BANK TO GET A BIG NAMED COACH...WHERE WE GONNA GET THE MONEY SINCE WE CAN'T PAY DD THE 5 MILLION WE OWE HIM?? HIRE DD BACK AT SAME SALARY AND FIRE SS

STUPID! You have the right to remain silent...

Vol43 writes:

Just heard the coach will be Hannah Storm. Announcement in the morning!

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to Vol43:

Just heard the coach will be Hannah Storm. Announcement in the morning!

Whew, thanks. I am tired of the suspense and rumors. On the bright side, even if we loose, we will look good doing so.

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to Clarkrm0706:

Sorry, loose should be "loose" please add QMs

radiomafia#577548 writes:

While we’re at it, can we get a new sports broadcaster also? I know it’s tough following up John Ward, but after a decade there is nothing memorable about Kesling’s broadcasts. I have to turn on the opposing teams broadcast on-line to hear a better and articulate picture of the game in words. I was switching back and forth comparing our broadcast to UK’s and there was no comparison, much better game description, including knowledge of our players. The technical side is an issue also, UK’s broadcast had field noise of pads hitting, and grunting every play, our band’s fight songs and chants; you could even hear our cheerleaders, much like what’s heard during an ESPN, or NFL broadcast, and this was an away game set-up for them. Ours is dull and quiet, much like a high school broadcast. So Mr. Hart, while you are making improvements, please consider this change and improve our brand. I think Kesling is a nice guy, but so is Dooley.

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

in response to budd#207344:

Every time I read a John Adams article I can count on reading one of your stupid comments. If he is such a bad writer what does it say about you reading him all the time?

I'll answer that--it says hes a dumb_ss

volbob writes:

Passionate fan base! Love it!! Other football programs that happen to have a city around them simply don't have this kind of outpouring. To date, there are 4 SEC teams looking, but only one that has the "it" that a big name coach would be looking for - UT. Arkansas weather is terrible 10 months of the year; Auburn is in Alabama...enough said; same with KY - the name says it all. UNC? Not in the same league. Forget anybody from a Big 12 school, and forget about assistants from other programs. I doubt the fan base will get behind anyone other than Gruden...regardless of his abilities in college football. Bobby P would probably get fired after the first kegger; Charlie Strong would be an afterthought for an SEC school; same with Kirby...we went the assistant route, and that didn't work out very well. Phil will wind up at UNC engaging in man-love with Coach Cut. For most of us, right or wrong, its Gruden or bust. Cut the swim team and "other" sports if more money is needed - this is football! Like it or not, the university is doomed without 100k in Neyland Stadium every home game. GBO

lstbodeanvol writes:

in response to titletownz:

why dont yo trot on over to moosedump.com and follow your gators on that site titletroll aka as lil gata aka packer park oranges brother..GO VOLS !!!!!!!!!

Colliervol writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

In my opinion AD Dave Hart has waited too long. We now have to compete with Auburn (and I, for the life of me, can't figure out why anyone would want to coach at Auburn. They just fired a guy who won a NC 2 years ago.)for the very restricted and very low quantity of top notch coaches. Now it starts! During the next 1-2 weeks you are going to see a large number of Coaches denying, very coyly, that they have been discussing the Tennessee Job. They will then sign a new contract with their current school for a big raise and a additional 2-3 years on the contract. They will be laughing all the way to the bank. By the time Hart can find someone really interested in the job we will be getting someone who makes Dooley look like Vince Lombardi. All because Hart didn't want to step on someones toes. No School has ever given two hoots in hell about stepping on Tennessee's toes. I have seen enough. Mr. Hart was not prepared to put the interest of the University of Tennessee on the top of his list. As such maybe he should think about leaving as well!!!

Talks have been going on for weeks and unless it's a coach who isn't working, nothing could be announced. And if they are in a conference championship game, they still can't say anything. (Is Florida St in the ACC title game? Hmmmmm.)

Clarkrm0706 writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

"I'll say one thing for both Gene Chizik and Sal sunseri" stopped reading at this statement but thanks for playing.

oldster writes:

How about re-hiring Fulmer as head coach, leaving the current offensive co-ordinator, offensive line coach, running back coach and safety coach in place for continuity and to reward success. Bring the chief back as defensive co-ordinator, Kippy Brown as receiver coach and associate head coach, T Martin as quarterback coach, and Dale Jones as either linebacker coach or defensive line coach. Shoot, maybe there could even be room for Daryl Dickey somewhere on the staff, but I think he is an offensive guy and I think that the previous group would exclude him, unless he were to become the new offensive co-ordinator. I would hate to lose Chaney (Cheney?), but I would rather lose him than the offensive line coach, Graham, or Conklin. These three people either did great jobs, are up and comers, or both. The rest of these people are, well, ALL VOL. Oh, yeah, Fulmer could add a new position, an attitude coach, and name Al Wilson to it. His job would be to make sure there are no more attitudes like Da'Rop Rogers or Tyler Bray.

lstbodeanvol writes:

in response to govols0463:

Dude, seriously? Are you a** bangin' Muschamp or are you a chick? I blew it off the first time I read a post from you as a dude having a man crush, but now I think you want the guy. Good grief...and you need to change your user name. Gainesville is not a town. It's a community.

AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!

movol53 writes:

in response to Colliervol:

Colliervol how do you know talks have been going on for weeks? You are right in that nothing can be announced until the coaches are done with this year and that means early Jan at the earliest. Which means we will take another hit in recruiting this year. And the cycle goes on and on and on . . . I love my Vols but I'm really tried of this.

NYCApple writes:

in response to govols0463:

I was wondering the same thing. Easy on the Jergens dude....

pcorange writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

I'll be glad when UF cycles back down, and they will. UT is not "stuck in mediocrity". We are in a down cycle. Bama was mediocre for 15 years, but they finally recognized that a) they had to forget about Bear and b) they were gonna have spend some coin if they wanted a coach that could take them back to the top. They did, and they are. No different here. So, STFU and go back to your little sissy team that has only existed since 1989.

BankerVol writes:

in response to budd#207344:

Yeah and I can count on seeing John's little buddy#207344 defending him.

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to gobigorange5090:

Majors brought on his firing by being a total arsehole. Get over the Majors worship already.

So did Fulmer. Karma is a wonderful thing

chuckfromwoodberry writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

If Stoops thinks he's not appreciated at Oklahoma, he should talk to Phillip Fulmer about how much the University of Tennessee appreciates a successful coach.

Go away Vicky.

Colliervol writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Poster child for obsession.

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to oldster:

STUPID! Fulmer is done, get over the man crush for the washed up coach

cloudodust writes:

I'm not gonna voice support for one rumor or another much less one 'Big Name' over another. All the coaches mentioned (past, present or future) can swirl around in peoples heads like a lemon wedge stirred in a glass of sweet tea, I ain't playing. I hope for a successful proven. I hope for someone dedicated to the game. I hope for someone that plays by the NCAA rules and regs. I hope for someone that loves Tennessee football. That's where I'll drop it into Hart's lap...Tennessee today is not a job for the faint hearted but it is a diamond in the rough waiting for the Right Guy...

cloudodust writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

So did Fulmer. Karma is a wonderful thing

Call me crazy, I can live with it (Married With Children and now Grandchildren, at least, they ain't in my house..!) but I'll take a HC (or assistant) hiring in the football program by Doug Dickey over Mike the Slug Hamilton any day. Any..! At least, we have a Crystal Football thanks to Dickey..!

tnvol34 writes:

GET ON THE BALL HART! LET'S HIRE A COACH AND GET OUR RECRUITING GOING! DON'T FUMBLE THE BALL! IF GRUDEN IS INTERESTED, PAY THE MAN! DON'T THROW AN INTERCEPTION!!!! LET'S GOOOOOOOO!!!!

wigmeister writes:

Chizik wasn't the force behind Auburn. Gus Malzahn was. Hire him!

wreck429 writes:

in response to gobigorange5090:

I remember when UT fans were satisfied with 6-5, 7-4 seasons under John Majors. But it was because it was Majors, not a non-UT grad.

If you think people were satisfied with that then you don't have a very good memory. His keeping his job did not infer satisfaction.

pcorange writes:

in response to titletownz:

I will give you that Muschamp has done a very good job with Florida this year. I don't think there was a soul who believed after the first two or three games this season that Florida would have even an outside chance at playing for the national championship. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you guys, as much as I inherently dislike Florida, because it would have meant another guaranteed SEC national title. Now that we have both agreed that Muschamp has done a nice job, how about you carry your tail back over to a Florida site and cheer your team on in a good bowl game and leave the Volunteers to us. I don't troll around on other teams' sites, and I'd personally appreciate if you didn't troll around on ours.

Show-me-your-TDs writes:

The AD's short list should look something like this
Sean Payton.. Suspended NFL HC For the New Orleans Saints
Steve Mariucci.. TV & ex NFL HC of Forty Niners and the Lions
Bill Cowher .. TV & ex NFL HC of the Steelers
John Gruden.. TV & ex NFL HC Of the Raiders and Tampa Bay
That would be my list if I was the AD ...in no particular order

volcop writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

I was in the army in Germany in '80 - '83. The Stars and Stripes was the only news. Every sunday morning I would get a copy and to find the UT score you had to look in the "other scores" section. And yes I was looking just to see if UT would be bowl eligable because AFN would broadcast the bowl games and that was the only UT game I could watch all year.

farmdog (Inactive) writes:

in response to whiskeyman:

epidemy? So, Majors was a disease like the plague?

farmdog (Inactive) writes:

in response to Vol43:

Just heard the coach will be Hannah Storm. Announcement in the morning!

I volunteer to work under her.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

LOL at everyone, first the season has not ended. How could Hart hire Stoops now?

How could he hire any head coach in college when the season and division championships have not been played?

Coaches get hired a few weeks out from bowl games if they jump ship, that means at least 1 more week or so maybe before Hart can give an interview to a person currently coaching.

The only person he could hire right now today would be Gruden for example, but even Gruden has a contract so that would take precedence first.

Now why does Stoops name keep coming up? We might as well throw Saban, Miles, Mack Brown, and Urban Meyer in the group and maybe for good measure Spurrier.

pcorange writes:

in response to OwensboroVol:

Seriously? I would imagine Hart has had a short list of candidates that he wishes to contact for quite some time. It is customary that an AD who wishes to contact another school's coach wait until the season is over before doing so. Now, they normally don't wait until bowl season is over, but they usually do wait until after the regular season and conference championships are over. Hart would then contact the AD of the university whose coach he may wish to contact and ask for permission to discuss our coaching vacancy with him. That permission will either be granted or denied. In most cases, it will be granted. There are very few candidates out there who he would not have to wait to discuss the job with. Gruden and Petrino are two of those, but he may very well be doing his due diligence in ensuring that we have interviewed a reasonable number of quality candidates and are satisfied that we are getting the right fit for UT rather than just a name to appease us fans.

tnvol34 writes:

I AGREE THAT WE REALLY DO NEED NEW BROADCASTERS ON RADIO, ITS SO BAD I HAD TO TUNE IN TO THE KY BROADCAST, AND IT WAS MUCH BETTER!

BuckFama writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

You nailed exactly what I was thinking when I read the part about Stoops. Nice.

Read Marvin West's article: http://www.shoppernewsnow.com/columnT...

It arrives at the correct conclusion: Mike Hamilton did more to kill Tennessee football than anyone else. He was a terrible AD. Hopefully, having a real AD in Hart will show prospective head coaches that UT is once again being run by someone whos primary concern is football rather than bean counting.

pcorange writes:

in response to wigmeister:

Chizik wasn't the force behind Auburn. Gus Malzahn was. Hire him!

I like Malzahn, and Chizik is a fine Christian man. However, neither was all that responsible for the NC in 2010. That was solely on the shoulders of one Cam Newton. Take Cam out of the picture and that team wouldn't have won five games that year.

tennlions writes:

in response to lofter:

Everyone needs to take a deep breath. TN is not going to get a big name to clean up the mess. Hart will find someone who will check off all of his boxes (HC experience, good recruiter, & whatever else he has on his list) BUT, why would a coach leave a successful program?
Unless there is someone out there who is unhappy, but has not made it public, we are going to see an experienced head coach, with several years of success, from a second tier college.

And that may not be bad!

That would be very bad. Picture it. "Hi Mr. All-State QB. My name is coach nobody. You may have heard of me. I coached Northwest Central Rhode Island State to the NCAA Division 7 playoffs last year."
Yeah, it would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

Nick Saban Alabama SEC $5,316,667
Mack Brown Texas Big 12 $5,292,500
Bob Stoops Oklahoma Big 12 $4,550,000
Urban Meyer Ohio State Big Ten $4,250,000
Les Miles LSU SEC $3,751,000
Kirk Ferentz Iowa Big Ten $3,835,000
Steve Spurrier South Carolina SEC $3,550,000

Hope UT is ready to make Stoops a 6 million dollar man.

Southland writes:

Coach Fulmer will never coach at UT again and I dont blame him if he doesnt want to but some of these programs like UK would be fortunate to get him. I imagine he will end up at a mid major program if he coaches again

oldster writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

STUPID! Fulmer is done, get over the man crush for the washed up coach

I really do not like being called stupid. Further, not only am I not stupid, but neither is the idea, although I was presenting it with my tongue in cheek. The fact that you did not recognize that fact establishes, without possibility of refutation, that it is you who are stupid. I will add that you are also wrong about my having a man crush on anyone or that Fulmer is a washed up coach. I would argue that had UT not fired him that while UT might not have won any championships in the 4 years since, UT would not have had any losing seasons, much less three. Can I prove it? No, but you cannot prove I am wrong, either. What I can rely upon is a method of logic, to-wit: the best predictor of future behavior is past action. From that and the fact that Fulmer never had a losing season until he was fired (I do not think), but certainly did not have 3 out of 4 or any season where his teams only one SEC game. If you think that Fulmer was washed up for two bad seasons out of 3 (none nearly as bad as the last two), then you would have said, in the 3 years leading up to his switching to the wishbone, that Bear Bryant was washed up. Alabama's record in those three years was not so hot, if my memory serves me correct. After switching to the wishbone, however, he won a few National Championships. Tommy Tuberville had the same issues at Auburn that Fulmer had at UT. His offense was stale. He went from Al Borges' pro offense to Tony Franklin's spread. When he found that he lacked the talent to run the spread he fired Franklin in mid-season and tried to go back to the old offense. It did not help him. He sitll got fired. The only difference between Tuberville and Fulmer is the names involved and the fact that Fulmer did not fire Clawson. Tuberville still seems to be a viable coach and, in fact, has been mentioned with the UT position.

DannyVol writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

Exactly.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

I've defended John Adams before, but this article is an absolute crock of ****.

We are the University of Tennessee. We haven't hired a big name coach since Johnny Majors because we haven't tried. Not having done something in the past does not mean that it cannot be done.

"Maybe UT can't hire a big-name coach. But it at least can sustain the rumor of a big-name coach."

Really Adams?

Screw you.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to Go4Two:

Let's hire coach Fulmer and be done with it

Yes! If Fulmer says no, we could offer Ron Zook or Mike Shula. Finding a new coach is hard and there is risk, lets hide under the bed and have daddy Fulmer sooth us to sleep. What a fantastically stupid idea!

You have the mindset of a true champion.