RoyaltyVol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

We should be looking at Fedora.

He doesn't have the experience we're looking for. One great season at Southern Miss isn't good enough for the UT job this time around IMO.

asleep#212036 writes:

Apparently the ramifications of Tressel's show cause escape many of you. It isn't about him. A show cause means the university has to prove to the NCAA they are in total compliance with ALL NCAA rules before they can hire him. The only way to do that is to invite them back to Knoxville for another round of look-see. Is that what we want? Uh,no.... That show cause lasts until 2017 season so....I think now that Louisville is probably joining the ACC, Strong will stay. Hart, I would think, is likely looking at either Golden or Fedora, two proven winners that we can (a), afford, and (b), get away from their current situations - UT job better than UNC and Miami obviously lied to Golden about the seriousness of their violations. Fisher unlikely and Gruden and Stoops are out of the question. Go Vols!!!

DaufuskieIslandVol writes:

in response to Rock85:

Do you get the feeling there pushing good ol JimBo.. If JimBo can't beat Florida at FLORIDA ST. With FLORIDA player, How will he ever beat Florida at TENNESSEE..... COME TO THE CHUCKY SIDE... GRUDEN or A BUST!!!!!

My thoughts exactly!!

RoyaltyVol writes:

in response to asleep#212036:

Fedora and Golden aren't two proven winners, unless you believe that consistent 8-4 and 7-5 seasons are good with one great season thrown in.
Both would be a terrible hire.

asleep#212036 writes:

And while I'm on the subject, who in recent memory has hired a NC winning coach away from another top-tier program? Who has hired a former NFL Super Bowl coach? Nobody. Let's look at the top programs in the country right now. Bama: hired Rich Rod, he changed his mind and they went and found a failed NFL guy in Saban, a man with a NC and looking to get back to the game he knew, doing pretty well. LSU: loses Saban to the NFL and hires away Oklahoma State's coach, whose record there was no better than Fisher's is now, doing pretty well. Notre Dame: hired Cincinnati's coach AFTER a multi-million dollar failed experiment with an NFL coordinator with 2 SB rings, doing pretty well I'd say. Georgia: elevated their offensive coordinator, doing pretty well. Oklahoma: hired Florida's DC, doing pretty well. Florida: hired Texas' DC, doing pretty well. Oregon: elevated OC, doing pretty well. Stanford: elevated DC, doing pretty well. South Carolina: hired another failed NFL coach with a college NC, doing pretty well. Point is, not one of these annual powerhouses was able to lure away a sitting HC with a NC, or a sought-after NFL HC. We, like them, not only can't, there is no reason we should try. There are plenty of excellent options out there not named Gruden or Stoops. Petrino? Ask Louisville or Arkansas if the winning they did was worth it once he left. 'Nuff said. Tressel? See earlier post. Patience grasshoppers. Go Vols!!!

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to RoyaltyVol:

Both would be a terrible hire.

At Temple or UNC, consistent 8-4 seasons show extrememly good coaching as neither is a football school and neither spends any money or gives a rat's backside about football. So yes, I do think they've proven enough. Further, if it's one of them or another Dooley or Chizik, I'll take them any day. Go Vols!!!

budd#207344 writes:

in response to txvolsfan:

I travel the panhandle of Florida a lot and most FSU fans would love for someone to take Jimbo. They don't think he can win the big one!!!

And I agree. With the talent they can get and the league they are in Fisher should own the ACC. Lost to Clemson last year and NCS this year. We beat NCS like a drum. Tell you anything?

volsxsnos writes:

Regarding Petrino, if the private life a the President of the United States, the most powerful man in the world, (Slick Willy), is not important or pertinent to his ability to lead and do his job, then why so with a football coach? Without minimizing the impact of the position, I mean c'mon folks he's just a football coach.

boxofsouls writes:

I vote Terry Bowden.. always was a great coach and is doing pretty good now as well...

spacehistorian writes:

in response to asleep#212036:

Very nice history lesson on current successful coaches with less than stellar prior records in the NFL or college. Finding a head coach for Tennessee's unique situation is a Herculean task that seems Sisyphean in nature given the risk involved if Hart gets it wrong. Living here in SE Louisiana there are rampant rumors that LSU Coach Les Miles is leaving for Arkansas. I think that is a specious rumor but I have seen several posts and Tweets by LSU fans stating they would love to see him leave. They claim that Miles is a terrible coach who underachieved with LSU's 10-2 season their third straight 10 or more win season. I tell my LSU friends they don't realize just how good they have it right now. I would love for Tennessee be 10-2 rather than 5-7. It is a high pressure, high expectation, win now situation for most of the programs in the SEC. Gene Chizik got the boot two years after winning the BCS Championship. We have a very high standard at Tennessee and we expect our Vols to compete every year for the SEC East Title and play in the SEC Championship Game winning it more often than not. Doing this means we will be in BCS playoff games (starting in 2014) playing for another BCS Championship. I am not sure if this is realistic but this is the expectation of Vol Nation. So now we wait to see who AD Hart announces as our next head coach and keep our fingers crossed that he made the right choice for Tennessee.

arkyvol writes:

in response to Rock85:

just for the sake of argument, what are the vols supposed to do when gruden announces that a. he's staying put, or b. he's the new h.c. of the eagles? board up neyland? that might qualify as a bust.

arkyvol writes:

in response to volsxsnos:

RoyaltyVol writes:

in response to asleep#212036:

I agree that Fedora and Golden are good coaches. I just think this hire requires a great coach who has a consistant winning record at a major program.

RatherBeDrivingaTitleist writes:

in response to KevDVol:

I say we contact Sofia Vergara. She would absolutely be the "sexy hire." She has name recognition. You might ask, "Can she recruit?" To that I say, "Who would not want to play with/for her?"

Can she coach? We have not asked for proof of success from our last football 2 hires - why start now?

Watching Coach Vergara on the sidelines would be a nice alternative to watching our defense.

Now this is funny right there.

boxofsouls writes:

AlpharettaVol writes:

in response to SIMSVOL:

I understand all the PR issues, but two years down the road whoever hires Petrino is going to be in great shape as a team. I can predict all the posters here saying we should have hired Petrino back in 2012 when we had the chance. He would have UT back on top in two years max. But there's the baggage....

It's not a PR issue. It's a character issue. How he walked out (literally) on the Atlanta Falcons in the middle of the week and just taped an announcement on the team members' lockers and then how he insisted the Arkansas Highway Patrol lie for him are absolute "no no's" when it comes to any consideration for our job. I would rather be 0-12 than have to admit our school hired such a low-life as our coach and leader of young men.

CantStandCantStandSaban writes:

in response to boxofsouls:

1-11 is pretty good?

Or were you being sarcastic?

volfanlostnbama writes:

in response to CasuallyAvid:

Interesting....not sure how legit this is.

Looks like Gruden is tired of all of his stardom floating around on a 24 hour basis...reports surfacing that he has now nixed his meeting with Hart.

VolBall18 writes:

in response to arkyvol:

volfanlostnbama writes:

Grant Ramey tweeting that "Hyams apparently cites two sources saying Gruden cancelled face to face meeting."

BigOrangeRock writes:

Say bye to Gruden. If Patterson says no, then Fulmer is the only choice left.

The rock has spoken.

arkansasvol1975 writes:

I don't think Jimbo Fisher would be a good fit at UT. He just doesn't have that "wow" factor to him. He is at Florida State and really doesn't need to recruit. Dang near the whole state of Florida is his and he doesn't have to venture out of state to recruit. I still think Jon Gruden is the only logical choice. I don't care what he says on Espn, we all know how that goes. I was told before Kiffin was hired, that Gruden was almost the coach but Cheek and ole Hammy couldn't get the money right......leading to us spending what we would of paid him anyhow and being in the basement of the SEC now. Thanks Cheek and Hamilton for doing that!

Lizardgrad89 writes:

Florida once hired a somewhat successful Duke coach that had ties to the school and that worked out pretty well for them.

UF also hired a small school (Utah) coach and did very well with him too.

Maybe that's not perfect logic, but it leads to these two names: David Cutcliff and Darrell Hazell.

The second one in particular might be the best coach nobody has heard of. Look him up.

Lizardgrad89 writes:

in response to arkansasvol1975:

Neat story bro, but you need to look at which Florida school is dominating recruiting in state. It ain't the Noles.

As for Chucky, I guarantee he would be a bad hire. No fire, no passion. You want to win, two words for you: Darrell Hazell. Look him up.

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to RoyaltyVol:

Well I can't say with a straight face that I wouldn't love that too but right now I just don't think there are that many folks out there who meet that criteria and who also are reasonably available. The only two I can think of are Tommy Tuberville and Jimbo Fisher and I'm not real sure about the latter's true availability. Most, if not all of the folks that meet that criteria are already in a good spot and being paid well. Go Vols!!!

gwh_1947 writes:

Kim Jung-Un, who was named the sexiest man in the world by the Onion, would take UT to the national championship in his first year as head coach. After all, his father bowled a 300 game the first time he ever bowled and shot a 27 for 18 holes of golf the first time he ever played a round. Just imagine how great UT would be with him as head coach. Hope the China press jumps on this as well.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to txvolsfan:

BS, Who they going to get that's any better? He hasn't been there long enough to win a "big one" yet. I think he's doing pretty good good. So do most of my old friends in P.C. & I didn't travel through there, I lived there for 12 years. Stumpy's right, I would have supported Dooley or anyone else if he beat Fla.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to boxofsouls:

Don't know if you're being a smart butt or not, but Terry would be better than anybody the Vols have had lately or are likely to get. I mentioned him before & caught all kinds of heII from all these VFL experts.

jasvol writes:

in response to SummerfieldVol:

If you people would read the restrictions on Jim Tressel. The show for cause is, he has a 5 year probation, at the end of the 5 years he has no I repeat No restrictions or probations. Now if Tennessee was to hire him ,he has a 5 game restriction that he can not coach the first five games and he can not coach a bowl game if we were to go after that we and him are free and clear. I am sure if AD Hart is or was interested in Tressel he has a legal department that can check out the ncaa show for cause restrictions on Tressel. Me if I was the one to go out and hire a new Head Coach for Tennessee I would offer it to Jim Tressel right now. He has I believe a 84% winning record that is nothing to ignore, just because we or you don't understand the ruling that applies to Jim Tressel from the NCAA, does not make Jim Tressel a bad or no hire ,but he is a winning coach.

Tressel all the way!

jasvol writes:

Jim Tressel's show cause details - 5 games only and he can recruit too. Dave Hart, here's your man!

Stumps writes:

this whole thing is starting to become maddening. I feel like I can't move on with my own personal projects until TN figures this out. For the record, I haven't been too impressed with any of the names floating around:

Fisher - he coaches in the ACC, the second weakest football conference ever behind the soon to disappear Big East, and he is not dominating. not impressed.

Strong - if he was applying for the job last weekend when he lost to Connecticut, not impressed.

Smart - well he's a Bama coach, but so is Sunseri

Petrino - sure he wins, but at what cost?

Tubberville - really?

The bottom line is that what TN needs is a big splash, a kick start, and none of these names except Gruden provide that. This makes me think the following:

Gruden and TN have already struck a deal verbally, attorneys are working out details

Hart has someone else that's a big splash and a not on anyone's radar already locked up, and all these interviews are smoke screens

hart doesn't know what he's doing, just like Mike Hamilton.

I can't see any other option.

ashvol7 writes:

in response to jjsteel:

And Butch Davis is a top tier candidate??

Butch Davis-so we can be in trouble in two years, ask his former jobs-nc.

absgovols writes:

in response to ANYONE_BUT_LIBS:

The main reason is when uk is trying to hire you and UT is not talking to you, at all, nor planning to talk to you for their vacancy - - - don't use "this" when referring to UT (even if endearingly as a dump) – this is not your UT – never has been, never will be…

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to Stumps:

Smart - well he's a Bama coach, but so is Sunseri

Petrino - sure he wins, but at what cost?

Tubberville - really?

hart doesn't know what he's doing, just like Mike Hamilton.

I can't see any other option.

I seriously doubt he is trying to get Gruden and I can't for the life of me figure out why so many are so enamored with the thought of him as HC. Is he splashy? Absolutely. Is he ridiculously expensive? Check. Would he want total control of the football program? Yessiree! Would he consider UT a destination job? Doubtful. Can he coach the college game? Don't know. Can he recruit? Again, don't know. Is he a good teacher of the game? Don't know, pros don't need tutelage. Can he sidle up to boosters and high school coaches? No data, NFL fans don't require that. Can he work with a university administration within the framework of the NCAA guidelines? Better not get this one wrong before 2015! Could he be a mentor for some of the more troubled athletes? Not much practice, the tatted up millionaire NFL thugs he's used to don't need much bonding time with their coach. I'm certainly not saying he wouldn't be a rousing success in Knoxville, up to and including a crystal trophy down the road. What I am saying is that at this juncture, should Hart risk that much money on a guy who essentially will be training on the job? I just think there are less risky options out there. Maybe I'm wrong. Go Vols!!!

CrankE writes:

in response to gwh_1947:

We could even name him as a General, Maximum leader for life (or did Nick Saban already claim that title?)

At any rate, Kim JunGruden will destroy the competition. Literally. We'll install ICBM launchers in Neyland Stadium, then fire off carefully aimed strikes at key archrivals. Leveling their playing field. Our own team will get fit and fast on a hearty diet of tasty mountain lichen and a thimble full of cockroach bi-bim-bat three times per week! We will grind the bones of our enemies as fertilizer for our kudzu gardens!!! Just imagine how much more impressive the band and the parades will be with Kim JunGruden in charge-especially when we're claiming 4 BCS national titles every year!! (no wait, that's Bama-again.)

Anyway, Kim JunGruden for Head Coach!
That there is change you can BELIEVE IN!!!

ROFL

OrangeMike writes:

in response to luke255#536431:

What about Jim Tressel??? We should have hired him the day his year suspension was up. Either him or Petrino the only PROVEN coaches that we could count on to get the vols back!! FYI anyone who has used their brain or used google would know Gruden signed a new contract this year with ESPN, not a proven college coach and still no idea why people are drooling over something that is NEVER going to happen.

Tressel never could beat an SEC team until he finally won once with ineligible players the NCAA allowed him to play in a show of pitty on the Big 10 against the SEC. Why would anybody be interested in that lying loser?

jplemons80 writes:

Why is anybody even mentioning the name of Jim Tressel? Hiring him to coach at Tennessee is ridiculous. For one, he has proven to be a liar, so if we bring him in while still under probation we will have the ncaa basically living here. He couldn't win against the sec except by breaking the rules. And most Tennessee fans despise ohio state. So why would they be excited over having their disgraced coach? If tressel is the best HC Hart can find, then I would rather take another chance with a Saban assistant