CrankE writes:

I say load the contracts heavy on the performance incentive side. You win, bonus. You get to the dome, bonus. You win the SEC, bonus. You get to into a BCS bowl, bonus. You defeat key archrivals, bonus. You finish 2nd in the SEC East, bonus.

Pay them well on the base salary-but not ridiculously well. If they're really worth the mega-dollars, then give them the opportunity to earn it.

No more 8 is enough contracts. No more ludicrous buyouts that insulate a losing coach from a size 10 boot to the backside.

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

Well well, all the clairvoyants, prognosticators, Nostradamuses and related butt nuggets on here making coaching predictions using "done deal" "mark it down" and other such phooey lost all credibilty to predict the future since none of them won the Powerball this week.

Same with all of those with their "sources" and "insider information." While it provides some humor, we all know you don't know your arse from a hole in the ground about who the next coach will be.

But please don't stop, that is what these sites are for. Keep on with your expert predictions and confidential information, many of us need a smile!

frblalack writes:

Today is Friday Nov. 30. If Vols don't have an answer by Dec. 1, then we should put all our resources into hiring Coach Mullen, Coach Tuberville, or Coach Dabo (with a 50 million dollar buyout should any of them choose to leave)! WHOMEVER we hire, it should be for the duration!!!!! No longer should we allow the Vols to be a steppingstone!!! If Coach Hart hires someone & they leave prematurely, then so should Coach Hart!!! Dammit, I bleed Orange & I think our football coach & athletic directors should also feel the same way!!!

All Vols - Vol for Life - Love the Big Orange!!!

GatorHater1998 writes:

HA! last night i posted that it will be announced at 2:00 today that he has accepted it!

RollTideJoe writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

Pay the assistants as much as need be that is how you recruit to UT good assistants recruiting. Dave hart do not fudge this up.

I am a vol fan trapped in bama and I can tell you this feels so much like when they hired saban. be our coach? NO be our coach? no be our coach? Yes. I can also tell you bama fans fear this hire like one booster said on the radio what 18 yr old does not want to play for gruden. I want this hire to happen where

I can call Finebaum and tell him he does know a darn thing and he was wrong.

I can assure you that Bama fans aren't worried about the hire.

SummerfieldVol writes:

I would think the contract would have date that it is enforce. I think he has had the contract for some time now and it is getting close to running out. If he say no or the time runs out Hart will pursue othe candiates. It is getting close now.

JDX47 writes:

I say we bring back Randy Sanders as the head coach. I believe he has learned much in his time at Kentucky and he could bring a real innovative offensive style to the program.

fearthehound writes:

in response to DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho:

Dave Hart...pay the man's staff. Gruden in the living room, a top-flight staff calling plays on gameday and developing players, players will recruit themselves.

Hart needs to look at this as an investment.

Colts_VolFan writes:

in response to JDX47:

That's funny right there. A little sickening but funny

CrankE writes:

Oh...and if this pans out, it means that the trollfeeder, Adamz and KnoxNewzPravda have been scooped.

Again.

Tennfan4075 writes:

in response to CMKSIDESHOW:

Gruden is definetly the smokescreen for the real coach. Gruden is not coming to Tennessee or he would already be here.

JIM TRESSEL will be the next head coach at TENNESSEE. By keeping Grudens name out there they know that is the one person everybody in media and fan base will lock their eyes on. Bring on the Sweater Vest.

My biggest fear if Jim Tressel were to be hired is how corny will a sweater vest look in bright orange, but maybe he can get a deal on some used orange pants.

fearthehound writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

I can assure you that Bama fans aren't worried about the hire.

Good for you. You seem to be worried enough to be trolling our FAN site and reading stories about potential coaches, though. LOL.

pcorange writes:

There is one certainty I've found in this whole process: the media doesn't have a clue and you can't believe a word of what they are reporting on this coaching search.

HHUUMMBBLLEE writes:

If hart fails to hire Gruden ........ HE MUST BE FIRED!!!!!!

smugolf08 writes:

Poor Lane...daddy turned his back on you

Colts_VolFan writes:

in response to smugolf08:

Poor Lane...daddy turned his back on you

I would be willing to bet it was the other way around.

JDX47 writes:

in response to Colts_VolFan:

That's funny right there. A little sickening but funny

Thanks...I was definitely going for humor and to lighten the load while we wait and wait and wait.

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to andforhisnexttune:

Who are your sources?

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to CMKSIDESHOW:

I think Tressel would be a great hire.

Walt

UT '81

CMKSIDESHOW writes:

People on here saying Hart should be fired if he doesn't land Gruden are insane. Paying this guy over even 4 million a year is totally STUPID! I think Tennessees' brass have got to be smarter than that.

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

in response to JDX47:

Yes, Randy Sanders, a uk disciple, learning at the very best football mecca in the SEC

And while we're at it, bring back Dave Clausen. Together with Buddy Hacket, recruiting some no stars and 1 stars (yes, stars don't matter), we actually could be worse next year, and that would truly be an accomplishment since this year seemed to be the bottom.

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to JonGrudensAgent:

My client has chosen to state that he is very happy in the world of broadcasting with the ESPN family of networks. He appreciates the passion of the Vol fans in Knoxville and those around the world and he is flattered by all the interest.

However, he is currently gainfully employed in a fabulous position at MNF.

Didnt you say a few weeks ago that Gruden would be the next UT football coach??

Show-me-your-TDs writes:

I'd like to see Jon in a Tennessee visor

PUL4VOLS writes:

in response to CMKSIDESHOW:

Monte Kiffin resigned I guess that means he is going to reunite with Jon Gruden and come back to Tennessee LMAO. They are going to reunite alright back in the National Football League. If Jon Gruden coaches anywhere it will be for DALLAS COWBOYS or CLEVELAND BROWNS

Your first statement is one of the best I've seen in a long time. Good going, GruMont on Rocky Top. Some on here will probably think that is in the works.

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

in response to Show-me-your-TDs:

I'd like to see Jon in a Tennessee visor

Got to admit, the screen on an espeepeen story this week with JG's head shot and the Power T in the background looked awesome.

tomatosoup writes:

Alright folks, sources around the ole' ball field tell me that a decision is quickly approaching that we should hear something definitive no later than next Friday. While their 411 is not really mind blowing, it does make sense so I'm taking it to the bank! Go Vols and let's get Gruden. Heck, with the mens bball team playing on ESPN tonight....if UT announces the hire of Gruden, I'll get ripped tonight! P.S. I just heard on the Sports Animal that UT did reach out to see if Gruden would be interested and while he was honored.....he said no thanks! So...here we go again!!! Go Vols!!!

HHUUMMBBLLEE writes:

in response to CMKSIDESHOW:

UR insane sideshow Gruden is the only solution,failure too hire must be punished.

TheEffect writes:

Per Jimmy Hyams.....Gruden turns down Tennessee offer. Was not even interviewed.

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to HHUUMMBBLLEE:

If hart fails to hire Gruden ........ HE MUST BE FIRED!!!!!!

Stupid post.

jasvol writes:

in response to atnvol#283282:

Tressel can't coach anywhere for sometime yet because of a showcause restriction....just ask Brucie Pearl how it is.

The show cause is for 5 GAMES only...just do an online search on Sports Illustrated.

If the choice was Jim Tressel or Gruden - I would take TRESSEL - hands down. He has a 80+% win record, won national title and took his medicine like a real man, admitted his 'minor' mistake.

usafvol writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

I can assure you that Bama fans aren't worried about the hire.

May not be worried about the hire but you better be worried about the dogs. Lots of bammers gonna be on suicide watch Sat night! lol

Orangeblood64 writes:

Come on guys, this is about money right now, not football. It's like texas hold'em. One raise after another until one side say's "all In". I just hope Gru's not bluffing because the hart might have went all in.

JDX47 writes:

in response to HopeisNotaCourseofAction:

Ah yes...Randy...good memories. I knew when Fulmer gave his half time interview in the 2005 Alabama game that good ole Randy and Phil were going to make sure we lost that game. We had run the ball up the middle every play it seemed and the interviewer ask Phil what he was going to change to get the offense going and he said, "this is Tennessee/Alabama and it is always a grind it out game so we are going to keep doing what we're doing." Sure enough, keep running up the middle and lose 6-3. That is a one of my most lasting memories of the Randy Sanders era.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to Geofffourmyle:

I think Tressel would be a great hire.

Walt

UT '81

The NCAA probably thinks so too, they could just put one of their guys up in a cheap apartment in K-town and save on traveling expenses. The guys a good coach, but he has gotten his last two schools in trouble. Didn't we just get our probation extended?

gobigorange5090 writes:

Jimmy Hyams is reporting that Gruden is NOT coming to UT. I know this upsets those who think Gruden is a god.

UTengr36 writes:

This just in: Gruden accepted the offer. Philip Fulmer will be the O-line coach. Peyton Manning the offensive Coordinator. John Chavis the defensive coordinator. Peerless Price the WR coach. Reggie White is rising from the grave to be the D-line coach. Jamal Lewis the running back coach and David Cutcliff as QB coach.

But in all seriousness, it would be awesome to get Gruden. It is good to hear things aren’t dead just yet.

SCVOL90 writes:

in response to CMKSIDESHOW:

I agree. Monte Kiffin and Gruden reunited in the NFL seems most plausible.

CMKSIDESHOW writes:

Jim Tressel 10 yrs at OSU 106-22
BCS games (8)
vs SEC in BCS games 1-2
Jim Tressel sits out 5 games vs the sisters of the poor teams, and coaches vs the ones that matter. Sits out the first bowl game then he is ours for the next 9 yrs. and leads us to multiple SEC Championship games with Great possibilities of playing for National Titles. Personally to me the SEC Championships mean more, because the National Championship Trophy has been a Mythical trophy for the last 125 yrs.

With SEC talent Tressel will run Muschamp out of Florida, Nick Saban will bail from Alabama , and those are the 2 schools i despise the most.
If Alabama play ND for the title this year I hope Notre Dame beats the snot out of them, if its georgia then doesn't really matter because neither have been to a game like this in 25 years.

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

in response to jasvol:

But the contract must specifically state "no sweater vests, be they orange and white or any other color."

That look might be ok up there in yankeeville, but down heunh ya needs to look like a football coach, not Fred MacMurry with his pipe in a "My Three Sons" episode.

CMKSIDESHOW writes:

in response to PUL4VOLS:

Thanks, GOVOLS!

BigOrangeRock writes:

Once Gruden is off the table, and Patterson says no, then we can bring Fulmer back.

VFLVFLVFL writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

I can assure you that Bama fans aren't worried about the hire.

Bama fans arent worried about the hire???? I dont want petrino to go to awwburned. I dont want any good coach to be in SEC unless its my own school. You know as well as I do when gruden and his all star staff get here we gonna be fighting over recruits again instead of easy pickins for your coach. He aint wasting his time on sunsari, chaney, or kirby smart for that matter. If u aint worried then u should be. This aint Derek dooley anymore

Orangeblood64 writes:

in response to TheEffect:

every coach say's he's happy right were they are. that there not interested in another postion. until they quit and take another job. perfect example..Saban when he left Miami.

TheEffect writes:

Perhaps Butch Jones or McIntyre would be a plausible choice.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

Isn't it amazing all the things that are posted on various web sites? I guess it is human nature to believe what you want to believe. Here's what I believe, when Dave Hart comes out with a press conference announcing the new head coach, I'll believe it and NOTHING until then.

allvol8 writes:

in response to atnvol#283282:

He can but the school that wants him has to go before the NCAA..plead their case...give specific details of how they will monitor him and report to them every 2 mths during the duration of his 5 yr show cause...for a school that is already on probation ..this would be a dumb move...

BlueHarley writes:

in response to frblalack:

All Vols - Vol for Life - Love the Big Orange!!!

You have to wonder why there hasn't been more talk about Dan Mullen.............

VFLVFLVFL writes:

in response to gobigorange5090:

Jimmy hyams doesnt know. No street cred.

Orangeblood64 writes:

in response to VFLVFLVFL:

yeah rite.Saban does'nt have a superbowl ring.

atnvol#283282 writes:

in response to TheEffect:

and hyams reports this with great delight....