TheVolSnake writes:

in response to TNFaninFL:

Not everyone was going to be pleased.. if it was Gruden, there would have been a bunch of sideline fans saying it was a bad hire. He is our coach whether you like it or not, needs to hold together this year's recruiting class, convince Bray, CP and Justin to stay, hire a new Defensive staff, keep Graham and Pittman and go to work, remember, we could have been in a lot of games with just a decent defense rather than the awful one that we had. Support the guy.

I agree 100%

jhncpps1 writes:

in response to albert63:

65 percent winning percent...is that good?

He was 4-8 in his first season...19-6 in years 2 and 3

wallingdad writes:

kinda ironic that we hire a coach that Dooley actually beat and we got rid of Dooley.
Oh well,,,the king is dead...long live the king! good luck coach Jones. I wish you well

Colliervol writes:

Don't know much about him so I'm not going to waste time predicting what he can or can't do. Not the "WOW" hire but I can tell you that I'm picking up 710 radio from Cincy this morning, and they are raving about him. Saying he's not a politician, just a really good football coach. I'll get behind him and see what happens. And if you're a Vol, you'll do the same. What I like about him is that he WANTS to be here and that, unlike some others, he ain't afraid of hunting with the big dogs. Something to be said for that.

eduardo writes:

orange_glory writes:

he does seem to have some of that intensity that brian kelly has

volfreak#210492 writes:

in response to chattanoogavolsfan:

Well, we got our 4th or 5th pick, I will not say this is the end of the world or worse hire ever. BUT.....NOT what I was hoping for when this search began. This guy was probably like in the top 15 for some people. He was going to BUFFALO!!!!! BUFFALO!!!! REALLY???? Our recruits are NOT going to come in droves and we have lost our BIG three who I have heard were going to stay for Strong (well at least one or two of them). BYE top 15 recruiting class bye Bray and co. BYE 4-4 in the SEC, BYE winning season. HOPE HOPE HOPE I am SO wrong!!!!

Um, step back from the ledge. He was not going to Buffalo. He was going to Colorado; you know the University of Colorado Buffaloes in Boulder, CO.

Don't know if he's the man or not but I'm going to support him and the team as I've done all my life, whether I was living in Tennessee, serving overseas or living on the left coast.

usafvol writes:

in response to TheSmokyMountainThatRides:

i can't wait to boo him and hart when they are announced at the next basketball game. i know, i know. all of you hollier than thou fans will say that makes me a bad fan. when in fact most of you that will say that won't be at the next basketball game because they aren't playing well. that makes you a bad fan. i pay thousands a year to that place and while it is nothing compared to the big donors, it is a big chunk of my yearly income. so the way i see it i'm entitled to voice my anger on the hire. boo.

It actually makes you and idiot to boo a person before you've given them a chance. Don't feel alone though, lots just like you on here..

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

in response to TheSmokyMountainThatRides:

Keep your f&#@ing money and STFU!

UT will get by without your $, and we'll get by without your negative BS on here.

superman81 writes:

I do not see how this is a bad hire. He has a decent winning record and he was Big East coach of the year. Everybody keeps screaming for Gruden, he was never coming. Strong didnt want to come here nor Gundy. Who else was left?? Petrino? Davis? All guys with either NCAA issues or character issues. If Peterson or another coach wanted to coach here I am sure they would have called Hart. This guy is much better than Dooley and if he can get a decent staff we will be competing for the East every year.

VolBy3 writes:

in response to VOLet_parking:

Two 4* recruits to Cincy in the last 3 years. Woohoo

And just think what he can do here! Go get'em Coach Jones!

All4Vols!!

david_light_38230#225602 writes:

Welcome Coach Jones!! The one thing that caught my attention, him stating that he was "waiting to see if he could get the Tennessee job". This means Coach Jones wants to be here.

We now have a coach that has been successful at his previous schools and wants to be a Volunteer . . . I am very excited about this hire!!

True Vol fans, alumni, etc will support our new coach, simply because Coach Jones now leads our football Vols and is a part of our Vol family!

GO VOLS!!

UTbasketballfan writes:

not a bad coach.welcome to the SEC and Tennessee Coach Jones.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to AlpharettaVol:

Maybe Santa Claus will show up and you can boo him, too.

They just do that in Philidelpha. (however you spell it)

SeminaryVol writes:

This is a very solid hire.

He has won his conference in 4 out of 6 years as a Head Coach.

That's a proven track record of success.

Give him a chance.

GBO

orange_glory writes:

lets see what staff he brings in before we actually say all is lost. i think we will be fine

orange_glory writes:

dvols writes:

TN will see how this years recruiting class goes.....

then they will know where they truly stand.....

superman81 writes:

in response to wallingdad:

Even a squirell finds a nut, thats about all Dooley did. Jones has beaten Strong, a guy some TN fans were drooling over

tennisvol writes:

Who hired our present AD and when is the time to start looking for another? Is his main goal to return to Alabama as AD when Mal Moore retires?

jollofran writes:

Dave Hart will announce his resignation toward the end of the press conference.

volfan1202 writes:

Dear Lord, we fired Dooley so we could hire Dooley 2.0?

This is a very sad day.

411South writes:

On the bright side I bet we have some cool looking tarps covering some of the upper deck next year.

Shake_Bake writes:

CBJ welcome to the SEC! I sincerely hope that you can turn this thing around for our football program! By the way...have you looked at next years football schedule? Get busy recruiting! We need players, especially on defense. Good luck!!

VolsFanInNC writes:

in response to dvhill100:

Welcome to UT Coach Jones. As you can see from some of the above posts and ones to follow, we have a deserved reputation as the most passionate, uneducated fans in college football. I wish you success in your career and returning UT to the upper tier of college football.

I wouldn't say "the most passionate, uneducated". Alabama is definitely the most uneducated.

BackAShoneysnFleas writes:

Good hire - kudos to Hart & Cheek! IMHO, they rose above realistic expectations. Coach Jones, pay no attention to the negative rubes around this place. Those people have no lives outside of U-T football - they only know to bray like donkeys when things don't go to their liking. You'll do fine here.

GloryDays writes:

in response to arkyvol:

i hope he hires a couple of good recruiters.

I hope he keeps OL coach Pittman and RB coach Jay Graham. Maybe OC Chaney, and gets a couple of good recruiters.
This just in: Great players make great coaches. Nick Sabin has had the #1 recruiting class 4 out of the last 5 years that is the main reason he has won, and unfortuntly he is a really good coach even though he is a jerk!

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

in response to Colliervol:

AMEN VOL brother, well said, totally agree.

It appears he held out to get here too, turned down other offers. Courage AND a desire to be a VOL, we may have a good one this time, HOPE SO!!

VOLet_parking writes:

in response to VolBy3:

And just think what he can do here! Go get'em Coach Jones!

All4Vols!!

That wasn't a compliment. It's pathetic.

VOL_IN_BAMA writes:

If you could here the laughs from the Bama fans at my work right now you would be disgusted. Three weeks of searching and this is the best we can get to come to TN. Wow! Can't say I'm to excited about this hire but hopefully he will change my mind along with many others. Wont hold my breath though.

Rumblefish writes:

I said it before...and here it is now as a reality....Dooley 2.0

Good grief. Hart just ran up to the ball and Lucy jacked it out from under him.

VolBy3 writes:

in response to chattanoogavolsfan:

The best thing about being a pessimist is that there are only two options. You will either be proven right or be pleasantly surprised. I'm pulling for the pleasantly surprised! Let's get behind our coach and help this team get out of its hole.

All4Vols!!

orange_glory writes:

most in the "know" are saying this is a good hire.

wskeen#212984 writes:

Looks like Hart decided to take a U-Turn when he came to that important crossroads that would impact our future for decades.

bigorangedude writes:

The "nice guy" within me says welcome aboard Coach Jones and Good Luck.

My alter ego says what a huge letdown considering Dave Hart's statement that this hire is extremely important to UT's program and future. This was a panic hire. Were we afraid he might get snapped up by some 2nd tier program first? Did we even consider an A1-level coach like Tressel of Davis despite a little baggage? Did we even make a run at Stanford's coach? What about various NFL coordinators, or Kirby Smart? Wasn't recruiting a consideration?? How will this Michigan native with no ties to the South go toe to toe with the likes of Saban, Spurrier, Miles or even Franklin?! Expect to see announcements shortly from Bray, Hunter and Patterson.

Hillbilly43 writes:

Looks like we need a new AD again.
This is the best Hart could do.SAD!

NewSchoolVol1992 writes:

Curious to see what CBJ will be able to do with the resources at Tennessee.

Not the coach most people wanted but, I believe he was the best option left on the table. Vol fans need to get behind our new coach until he proves that he doesn't deserve to be here anymore. Good luck CBJ, hope you can breathe some life into our beloved program.

GO BIG ORANGE!!!!

61NCVol writes:

in response to TheSmokyMountainThatRides:

Attitudes like yours are just pathetic and sad.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

Welcome Coach Jones, hope you have a thick skin.
Please try to bring Vol football into the 21st century & beat the Gators once in a while.
Good luck to you, you'll need it. I will support you until you give me a reason not to, Dave Hart is another matter.

GBO - Beat Everybody!

superman81 writes:

in response to chattanoogavolsfan:

We were not 4-4 even under Dooley. Bray is very immature and might have cost us some games with his decision making. Hunter was nothing like he was in 2011. he played soft because of his previous injury. Hiring Strong was not going to gurantee us a top 15 class or even wins in the SEC. Jones beat Strong and he can do much better than Dooley. people are only freaking out because we didnt get some big name coach.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to TheSmokyMountainThatRides:

I got a novel idea...how about acting like an adult instead of a mentally deranged 6 year old and give the man a chance....if he's successful...which he might be...you'll look more like a fool then than you do now!!!

Colliervol writes:

in response to usafvol:

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself. You've got to be a real dim bulb not to give somebody a chance before you pass judgment on him. Sad indictment on some of our "fans". (And I use that term very loosely.) Fortunately I don't think they are the majority. Just more vocal.

amstelman writes:

in response to TheVolSnake:

I agree 100%

What he said ^^^^

blazevol writes:

OK people, calm down a bit. Those bashing the Mac - we now have a ridiculous % of BCS head coaches that started in MAC. Those saying he didn't get 4 stars to go to Cincinnati - DUH - no one will ever get 4 stars to Cincy does not mean he can get them here. Those who say he only has 65% winning percentage, would you hire a coach that won only 61% of games his first 5 years and finished 5th twice and 6th twice in the big 10 ? That by the way was Nick Saban....

RockyTopForever writes:

Well this is NOT what I have been waiting to hear for 19 long days! Hart has made all vol nation ( university, fans and players ) look like idiots. He has plunge UT football down to the depths of hell. Football will never be the same!

On the other hand, I will have plenty of time on my fall Saturdays to do yard work, and all the other things I have put off, to go and support my Vols.

RIP Vols

atnvol#283282 writes:

Same song 4th verse.....and the rest of the SEC is yawning....IMO of the SEC football vacancy hires, the TN hire will impact the least. This is our "homerun" hire that Hart said was coming?

superman81 writes:

This guy wanted to be at UT! he wanted to coach here, thats more than Strong, Gundy, or Gruden. Dooley was a desperate hire, Jones was not. He waited and waited for his chance and when Strong turned us down he jumped on it. I think that shows he will do everything he can to help us win

bfowler1161#262198 writes:

in response to eduardo:

So real fans type in all CAPS, not giving the person a chance? If that's the case, most of the 107,000+ fans must not be real ones.

Smokey_VA writes:

Was this hire really worth firing CDD and paying 7 million to clean house, when all we had to do was change the DC position. I get it, CDD didn't have the Wins. Did the program get better under him. I say that it did. So now we hope that Butch can do better, and the only thing that really sucks for CDD is that Butch will take over with all of the hard work that was put into the program. UT's O-Line is the best in the SEC East and we have talent coming back in all spots. Hopefully the VOls will give this Coach and three years

volfan007 writes:

It sounds like we've got a lot of whiney baby types of people in the Big Orange Nation. A bunch of whiners. Seriously, this man has won everywhere he's coached....and he coached a lot with Brian Kelley, who has won a lot. I mean, at least, give the man a chance....and support the Vols, instead of being negative, grumbling, complaining whiney babies.