snafu14u#241639 writes:

I am speechless. I knew Gruden was not coming, but this has turned into a circus I couldn't have even imagined. Fueled by the media (both local and not), and a rabid and unrealistic fan base and a athletic department w/o a clue. And Gruden and or his agent are to blame as well. As a pure public relations move it was fine up to a certain point. Now its back-fired. Now that some cold water has been poured on the collective faces of the previously mentioned we can move on as rational thinking adults. Hopefully. And that remains to be seen. Bonzaivol

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to ashvol7:

Thanks Fulmer for all of this mess.

Huh???

Theo writes:

in response to vol68:

"At the annual National Football Foundation awards dinner, to be held Dec. 4 at the Waldorf-Astoria in New York City this year, former Tennessee head coach Phillip Fulmer will be honored as a member of the 2012 College Football Hall of Fame Class."

Dateline December 5:

As Phillip Fulmer was inducted into the Hall of Fame it became apparent to UT AD Dave Hart, who was in attendance, not pass on an opportunity to have the legendry National Champion coach and Hall of Famer as the new head coach of the Volunteers. Hart offered Fulmer the job immediately after the former coach made his induction speech.

That ship has sailed.
While I like Coach Fulmer, he had the UT job for life until he got lazy in recruiting and decided to keep waaaay to long a totally ineffective offensive coordinator. Have you forgotten how painful it was to watch the last few of Fulmer's teams? I won't ever forget, they couldn't do anything and each recruiting class got a little weaker.
Love Coach F., but he rested on his laurels.

Razzle writes:

in response to jplemons80:

I don't think Strong would make a good fit her. While he has done a decent job at Louisville, he got his job by playing the race card. That does not fit in with integrity Hart has stated he wants. And realistically, the longer the wait the better coach we may get. Most of the better coaches will not want to leave their team till after the bowl games. So settle in for a long wait

Yet you're all in for hiring sleazeball Petrino.

jt45 writes:

in response to ashvol7:

Answer to what? He is the reason we are in this mess. All of this happened because Fulmer got lazy.

No all this happened because Boosters told Hamilton to fire Fulmer after a bad year, now you can spout that nonesense all you want but their was more than one man responsible for this mess and its gotten worse with each new GREAT decision that has been pushed out by the powers that be. So tell me who is at fault for all the other train wrecks at UT the last five years. I think you need to look a little higher on the list than just the old coach or any of those that followed, except maybe K****n.

Some of those responsible are still hard at work tearing down what was once
a great program.

Im glad the Gruden fiasco is over and hope they find someone NOT on that list
who wants to rebuild this team back to where it belongs.

GerryOP writes:

in response to AlexAndersonAAradio:

Who cares who the next coach is. The top 7 teams in the league have big time coaches who get paid a lot of money while we are too cheap to pay a great coach and staff. I'd just give up and hire Fulmer back. We won't do any better than he was doing with the cheap hires we make. We should have had Gruden coaching yesterday but Hart dropped the ball. Even boosters were ready to pay for it. We need a UT guy as our AD. We should hire either Priest or Charles Davis.

AA, saying Hart dropped the ball is pure B.S. There was no ball to drop! If Gruden was interested, Hart would have delivered. But big hero Gruden backed out by hiding behind his family. "Not a good time to move yada, yada, yada." Hart came out of this looking pretty good, because he didn't fly off chasing a ghost like the fans and press did.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to YORVOL:

Strong is the right man for the job. All Tennessee has to do is make the right offer and he ours. He will enjoy eating fried gator tail for many years. Brings a rock solid defensive mind, all he needs is a good offensive coordinator and he can recruit Florida well. He's our man.

I'm just guessing of course but I don't think Strong would change the Offence, Why should he? We had a excellent offence this year so I'd expect almost any new HC to really consider keeping it in tack. Strong would look very close at the Def. but he might even keep some of them but go back to a 4-3 until he had the players to make a change. That would have saved Dooley's job this year. So don't think that another coach won't think about that. We have the players and some of the coaches. We have a good attraction for a HC.

GerryOP writes:

in response to ashvol7:

Thanks Fulmer for all of this mess.

Amen ash, amen. I guess we can also thank Mike Hamilton!

GerryOP writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Nonsense.

volfaninutah writes:

This so called CIRCUS was perpetrated by posters on this website, not the media. The media just took the ball and ran with it. About twenty posters on this site have been going nuts on this and have not let it rest for about 5 months now. Dooley's finally gone and we are searching for a coach. Let Hart do his thing. He gets paid for it. I'm sure whomever he picks none of you will be satisfied. His pick will be critiqued for another 5 months. Some people will never be satisfied.

SignalMtnVol writes:

Just don't hire Charlie Strong. Race card playing jacka-ss when he felt slighted.

JBruce writes:

in response to Theo:

That ship has sailed.
Love Coach F., but he rested on his laurels.

I agree with some of what you said. Fulmer was not recruiting the way that he did early in his career, couple that with some bad staff decisions. But when Fulmer was on his game, he was a beast in recruiting and no one can argue with his record... Part of me would like to see how he would do now that he has rested and is rejuvinated. I would go to say that there are alot of things he would do differently... And I dont think anyone will argue; no one loves the University of Tennessee like Phil Fulmer.

SouthTexasVol writes:

Charlie Strong Please? Joker Fishnet Please? Don't want Charlie Chocolate factory, or Joker fishnet. I want Jim Mora jr. gracing our slidelines for the next ten years or so. Oh and that Kirby salesman dude no way.

GerryOP writes:

in response to govolsdid:

Not so fast my young man - Fulmer is in the past and had not been for Al Wilson and Tee leading the team we would not have a NC. So lets get a quality coach and go forward not backwards and for Gruden he is not going to leave a job with NO responsibility all he has to do is TALK not WALK!!

You're absolutely right on the Al Wilson and Tee Martin comment.

plainspeaker1 writes:

in response to ashvol7:

Thanks Fulmer for all of this mess.

I bet you also still blame George Bush for the mess this nation is in, don't you?

GerryOP writes:

in response to tdvol1989:

At least you are looking to a legitimate 2nd choice. If we hire Strong, I have no malice toward him personally, but it will be another hire of a coach on "potential". Not at all what we need right now.

So, if we don't win, and fans complain, we will be labeled as unreasonable again. I get it! Hart didn't want to hire someone more powerful than him. He didn't want to give in to the boosters. But, we didn't want a guy hired to be good. We wanted a guy that everyone else wanted.

But, lets just accept the irrelevance of the folks that thought we weren't worthy of a Big Time Coach. Put on the training wheels. But you know, Gruden isn't the ONLY option. But, if Hart is afraid of a coach of that caliber, then we are following the script of GA after Dooley and Bama after Bryant.

How in the world can you call Gruden a "Big Time Coach?" And I won't even mention that he never coached a down of college football.

Let's be honest, he would be the centerpiece of every social event in East Tennessee. Not many ET folks have ever seen a SB ring! Just like Fulmer was invited to parties to flash his NC ring.

arkyvol writes:

in response to jplemons80:

if i were recruiting against the vols, i'd have this comment and others like it laminated to show potential signees. so, if a black man gets a high profile position be it coach or president, its got to be because of the race care, that it? cause we'uns all know that one of 'them' can't possibly be smart or competent, don't we? why don't you crawl back into the muck?

SouthTexasVol writes:

You know and I know who he'll hire, that Jumbo dude, two peas in a pod. I really wish it could have been Jim Mora jr.

wycoller writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Amen ash, amen. I guess we can also thank Mike Hamilton!

Don't forget W.....it was during his administration that this whole mess started.

alavol writes:

in response to AncientVolFan:

Getting Chucky would have been like bringing Lane Kiffen back.

totally agree- get Petrino

SummerfieldVol writes:

in response to Nighthawk:

Hart cleverly used the Gruden frenzy as a decoy to keep the media and fans distracted while he went about the business of finding our next coach.
I think Gruden allowed the deception to play out with his silence.
Hart called the agent today to stop the media speculation about Gruden because he has found his man.

I agree. I think he has had his man for quite sometime now. Just had to work out the little things in the contract. I do not think it is Petrino because he had no reason to keep it quite because Petrino is not coaching any where and therefore he could be announced as soon as he agreed to come. I believe it will be Jimbo Fisher.

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to Nighthawk:

I think Gruden allowed the deception to play out with his silence.

Hart started the Gruden frenzy? I dont think so.

TheCopper writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

You are so stupid, Jeff.

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to AlexAndersonAAradio:

How do you know we could have had Gruden? Its not what his agent is saying.

GerryOP writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Nonsense. There was no hire to screw up. Get over it, drop the name calling, and grow up.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

LOL, take your pills and calm down.

Dave Hart did not hire Dooley, what are you even rambling about?

Are you Dave Harts golfing buddy/rival? How do you know jack squat about the decisions?

I doubt you're a Haslam

alavol writes:

in response to Razzle:

Yet you're all in for hiring sleazeball Petrino.

i love sleazeball Petrino! Auburn does too. So would Arky if they could!

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to ashvol7:

Thanks Fulmer for all of this mess.

You're blaming the wrong person. Blame Mike Hamilton. He started the MESS!

SouthTexasVol writes:

in response to arkyvol:

Hey; you got that right arkyvol.And thats not playing the racecard. Right or is it. Right

alavol writes:

in response to Wauconda_Vol:

++1

I still say Petrino is the best out there, but if the donors are squeamish, Mora Jr. is very solid.

Petrino is going to Auburn, procrastinators and Gruden lovers!

GerryOP writes:

in response to tnoutlaw2001#228008:

LOL, take your pills and calm down.

Dave Hart did not hire Dooley, what are you even rambling about?

I doubt you're a Haslam

He's a caddy at the Chattanooga Golf and Country Club and thinks he overhard a discussion about Gruden.

Razzle writes:

in response to alavol:

i love sleazeball Petrino! Auburn does too. So would Arky if they could!

Birds of a feather no doubt.

snowvol writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

Couldn't agree with you more. For that matter, how much is Vandy laughing at UT? What's pathetic is how Tennessee can't seem to interest anyone of substance - legitimate substance - to the table. Sadly, it seems the Vols football program really has sunk to a level that it may take a decade more to get out of. We are an afterthought in college football. That's not being negative - that's reality.

alavol writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

good, don't want him, hire Petrino!

thevoice writes:

I'll admit I was first very excited about Jon possibly coming. As the days and weeks passed, I realized Jon was the equivalent of a 5-star recruit, complete with super talent but always followed by unwanted drama.

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to volfaninutah:

I hope this entire episode shows those posters what kind of person Gruden really is. He should have said last week he wasnt interested.

SouthTexasVol writes:

Hey I forgot about Petrino. Hes my new number 1 and Mora jr.number 2. Mora will bolt for the NFL in 2-3 years.

thevoice writes:

in response to gobigorange5090:

You're blaming the wrong person. Blame Mike Hamilton. He started the MESS!

Hold on. Hammy carried the torch, but Fulmer lit it.

fearthehound writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Ok, well now you're really covered. If Hart makes a homerun hire, you'll simply disappear or change your screen name ( yet again ). If he screws up, you'll be on here every day of the rest of our lives reminding us. Just can't lose, can you?

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Its time for you to tell us how you know so much more than anyone else. If you cant, then shut the heck up!!! We are tired of your know it all arse.

tdvol1989 writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Your point is correct. It wasn't incompetence in getting the deal done. He CHOSE not to follow the will of the people. I posted before the KY game in 2011 that Dooley didn't want to live in a world where he lost to KY. I can assure you that he did not enjoy his world in 2012. The same goes for Hart. He didn't want to accept that which comes with a big time hire. So we will go with his choice. But if his guy turns out to be another Dooley, it WILL NOT be the fault of the unrealistic expectations of fans.

It will be Hart's choice to go with his "manageable" choice. I do feel sorry for the next guy if he isn't a pretty successful guy. No one else is Gruden. But, there are some decent consolation prizes out there. However, one of these relatively inexperienced no names isn't going to be given a lot of slack. Blaming the fans won't do any good because Hart had the money and chose that route. So, he can live with those consequences.

TheCopper writes:

in response to tnoutlaw2001#228008:

LOL, take your pills and calm down.

Dave Hart did not hire Dooley, what are you even rambling about?

I doubt you're a Haslam

He's not a Haslam. He is Jeff Flowers, the idiot, immature younger brother of Richmond Flowers. Jeff isn't worth the sweat off of Richmond's backside.

GerryOP writes:

in response to snowvol:

No sir, you're being negative.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to SouthTexasVol:

I see the Klan meeting broke up early tonight.

takespix writes:

in response to Orangeblood64:

All right boys and girl, time to turn our attention to Jim Mora jr. right now he's taking is hanging with a highly talented Stanford...show him the $$$$

Obviously you have a short term memory. Mora talked his way out of the Atlanta Falcons job because he openly wanted the Washington Huskies job at the time. Mora is at home on the west coast and there isn't enough money in Knox County to make him even so much as pick up the phone to an 865 call.

alavol writes:

in response to fearthehound:

Is there anything more sleazy than a sports agent? I like Gruden ok, and if he came to UT, I would support him 100%, because I love my Alma Mater. Otherwise, he can kiss our Big Orange arses. I'm not interested in getting him a raise from ESPN or more face time in the media. If his idiot agent thinks we're fantasizing, then guess what...we're fine with fantasizing about the next one. Bring on Mora or Strong or Petrino. Personally, I'd just as soon have any of these guys, plus a couple others, as Gruden. So agent, kiss our collective arses.

agreed!

jaydubuc writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

You have some sick obsession with Doolaid. Why don't you Dooleave this site so we don't have to waste space for you lame comments?

alavol writes:

in response to Razzle:

Yet you're all in for hiring sleazeball Petrino.

yes, get the sleazeball before Auburn does!

OrangePsyched writes:

I think that Hart allowed the Gruden thing to play out while he worked behind the scenes to hire his coach. I believe that he has made that hire and that it is either Fisher or Strong. If Fisher I think it will be announced Sunday since FSU plays tomorrow. I will support either coach or whoever we hire.

tdvol1989 writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Gerry, I realize that you are going to take the UTAD side of things. But, seriously, there were some big time donors working the Gruden side that felt like they had a soft deal in place. Hart did not pursue it. Obviously, if your gut feel was that Gruden wouldn't or shouldn't come, this is not an issue with you.

But, there are those of us that did a lot of networking and research that believe there was a workable solution to get Gruden. In fact, the same folks that pronounced the deal dead said there was no deal.

You and I are going to disagree on how close this thing was before it blew up, if it 100% has, but there is a lot of good info out there that Hart did not pursue Gruden.

Having said that, I wanted Fulmer gone. I believe the magnitude of the Kiffin and Staff hire was worth moving out Fulmer. Through a series of unfortunate events, he left. In hindsight, that was a good thing. He is a loose cannon. However, when we hired Dooley, whatever the circumstances, we torpedoed our standards. We replaced reckless with incompetent. So many of us want a big splash coach to inject enthusiasm. But, if I knew that we would fire Fulmer to end up with Dooley, then I would have wanted to keep Fulmer. It wasn't just a change we wanted. It was a change for better. We DON'T have to hire a lower tier coach. But, going back to the debates before Dooley was fired, if we hire a trainee that doesn't display our new AD's dedication to having a top tier program, the negativity will continue. That will be the AD's fault.