VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

somebody tell me this Why is that Ohio St can be on probation and go out and hire someone like myer. However, if we need a guy he has to be an up and comer gamble.

because Urbie had a miraculous cure of his imaginary health problems

69grad writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

I agree with everything you said, but just one little criticism. Sometimes one little conjunction can make a big difference.

"...didn't figure it could hurt to see if he could shoot the moon."

...didn't figure it could hurt to see if he could shoot FOR the moon.

See the difference? Of course, maybe he was just shooting the moon. Since Peyton did it, it's kind of a tradition I guess. haha

FOR is a preposition, not a conjunction. What year did you graduate from bama?

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to golfman1975:

If you know something...you need to expand on that statement. There was never a ball to drop!

Exactly! Gruden has no plans to be a college coach

laraccoon writes:

is it just me or does Strong seem a little unstable from a mental aspect ?

pdhuff#552644 writes:

I was just hoping to get to the a major bowl in say, Shreeveport this year.

But, alas.....

jimr07 writes:

in response to born2ride:

Dave Hart dropped the ball with the Gruden hire.

How do you know? Neither person ever confirmed or denied. Only speculation from sports writers.

vol98champ writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

Ohio State went for the best coach available. If they were looking for a coach today, they wouldn't worry about his past. Urban signed thugs at Florida, so he had some baggage. If we were looking for the best coach available, the hire would already be made.

SWVA_RockyTopVol writes:

If Charlie Strong is our next head coach, I hope he brings Teddy Bridgewater with him

punkin writes:

I can imagine Dooley standing in a corner of the hotel lobby in his orange pants and orange dog with a cup in his hand begging for a job.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

He will not be able to do anything because we can not go toe to toe and out muscle bama and FL or LSU. We do not have the recruiting base. We can however spread them out and run the ball like Texas AM with johnny football, Auburn with cam Newton or Florida with Tebow. Nothing personal against you. If this was the 90's when we were getting better lineman and RB than them that would have worked.

Don't give me that..I remember 1982 and a UT squad beat Bama 4 straight years without superior talent. Of course Aubie was much stronger during that era also. If you look at the Big Ten other than OSU, they have played the SEC off their feet in bowl games playing conservative smash mouth fb..Just sayin'

volforeverandever writes:

in response to born2ride:

Dave Hart dropped the ball with the Gruden hire.

No he didn't. If Gruden does not want to coach college ball 10 million or 20 million would not have changed his mind.When you can make over 4 million a year with no preasure and love your job that is hard to beat.

hateNCloveTN writes:

in response to totoiv:

A couple of random thoughts. I read the Tulsa paper today and it said one thing Gundy was upset about was his ability to control the football schedule. And, that he prefers to schedule patsies in non-conference games and feels that the AD is hurting Ok St. ability to succeed by scheduling Top 20 opponents. I don't know who ultimately schedules teams at UT. Hamilton took the heat for booting UNC from our schedule though he said it was at Dooley's request. If this is true, Gundy won't be happy at UT because we "typically" have a decent non-confernce schedule (Oregon next year). Though, it seems UT non-conference schedule is getting weaker.

Second, when I watched several games on Saturday - several championship games - I kept hearing players being refered to as from Tennessee. Wisconsin's QB is from Johnson City. The Chattanooga paper had an article that Tennessee High School coaches gave the last UT coaching staff a F. And, Vandy recently has had success in stealing in-state players from UT. The next coach while needing to recruit nationally must also win the State of Tennessee recruiting war also. It hurts to hear that UT's talent is not up to par, but several former Tennessee High Schoolers are playing key roles in other major conferences championship games.

Wisconsin's QB Danny O'brien is from Kernersville NC not TN

GreeneVol writes:

in response to laraccoon:

is it just me or does Strong seem a little unstable from a mental aspect ?

Yeah you'd have to be crazy to consider Tennessee...lol...just joking.

Specifically what are you talking about? The racecard stuff a few years ago? I don't know, he was asked the question by a reporter and gave a first-hand honest answer. He didn't bring it up.

I for one don't know enough about him to speak to his mental toughness. His record seems pretty solid though.

atnvol#283282 writes:

Gundy is a loose cannon....the book is still out on Strong....I also think Larry Fedora would be as good of a choice as any still mentioned.

volaholic45 writes:

in response to punkin:

I can't imagine that Dooley hasn't already thrown out the orange pants.

NorthwestVol writes:

in response to RoyaltyVol:

I read that Tennessee is reaching out to Wisconsin's Brett Bielema, this guy has done a great job at Wisconsin. I'd take this guy over Strong and Fisher.

I don't know much about Bielema but I love their physical running game.

NewMarketVol writes:

in response to born2ride:

Dave Hart dropped the ball with the Gruden hire.

You have got to be kidding me! Gruden was never going to come here,please get that through your head.We need a proven college winner not an NFL guy who had no intentions of coming here.

BolivrBob writes:

No home run! Who's on first?:

jdcdjc writes:

in response to pcorange:

Much prefer Gundy to Strong. Gundy has won in a football conference. To me, Strong is a much bigger gamble. It's a lot easier to look good in the Big East than it is in the Big 12. I'd say Strong is who we will get, though, if we even get one that good. I'm hoping for Gundy, but expecting him to get a raise where he is.

Respect you point and opinion, but Strong is very familiar with the SEC and the game that is played in the SEC, I, personally think he is the best choice.

jdcdjc writes:

in response to tennlions:

No matter who is the next coach, he's going to come with some significant question marks. The Sabans, Miles, Stoops, Meyers of the college coaching world are not available. Bear Bryant and General Neyland are dead. That leaves the choices a little suspect. Get used to it and support the man who chooses to come in and clean up the mess. That fact alone should be worth the fans' respect.

You, my friend show thinking the rest of these younsters do not. We have to start over with someone, let's just let the system work and Hart do his job. GBO!!!

AirForceVol2786 writes:

Ive wanted Charlie Strong from the very start. Charlie Strong is an excellent recruiter and has his team in the BCS. Let's go get Charlie and win some ball games.

LCPanthers (Inactive) writes:

If available:
1.Gary Patterson
2.Bobby Patrino
3.Tom Tuberville
4.Jim Mora

OTPVol writes:

Charlie Strong would relish beating Florida, every year, as much as all us Vol fans put together. In all the names, outlandish or not, that have been mentioned, I for one think Coach Strong would be the best choice. I will support any coach we get, but if I had my druthers..

tcg#1384489 writes:

What has happened to T-radition. Every winning coach at Tennessee has been a product of Tennessee with the exceptions of Dickey and Battle. Battle was never accepted at Tennessee because of his background and Dickey deserted us to go back to his alma mater (florida) and should never been hired back as AD.
I say all of this to get back to the purpose of my rant. Hire John Chavis who is a product of Tennessee and knows how to build a defense which is badly needed to build a championship team.
All these other guys are OK where they are so leave them alone and hire Chavis.
Besides all this does not really matter because all of us guys in the bleacher seats will really have no say in the matter. Hart will not consult with us but you better believe a few alumni in high places will make the final decision.

volinlm writes:

in response to punkin:

Let it go, dude.

jenna1009001 writes:

in response to born2ride:

Dave Hart dropped the ball with the Gruden hire.

a lot of Vol fans where wanting Gruden and saying that Hart dropped the ball is not true. If Gruden wanted to coach tn Money would not be the major draw. I beleive Tn wouldn't have to contact Gruden, but it would be Gruden contacting the university about the coach job. That should clue us in as to what Grudens intentions are.

VOLtage writes:

Let's pretend Saban goes to the Browns who do we think they would go after and then let's go after him. Cause they'd go after the best.

TKO writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

That's a fact, he demands a physical style of fb that rivals Bama. Imagine what he could do with real speed and his ability to lure power backs. I'm liking this rumor..GBO!!

Never thought he would leave Wisconsin but if possible this would be huge for Tennessee. Great Coach and would be the best hire Hart could make. I would be shocked to see him leave.

YORVOL writes:

in response to DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho:

I hate it that Charlie Strong is represented by Jimmy Sexton, but I don't care. I think he'll make a fantastic coach for the Vols and actually get us playing for an SEC championship in 4 years.

I totally agree with everything you say. But as a Vol fan I have to ask, will we give him 4 years? I think he is positively our guy, I can support him and get behind him, I believe he understands the X's and O's of the game better than Dooley and won't be in over his head. But your statement is correct 4 years is what we have to be willing to endure. Go get Strong and GO BIG ORANGE.

SevenMaryVol writes:

in response to hateNCloveTN:

Wisconsin's QB Danny O'brien is from Kernersville NC not TN

I'm pretty sure he is refering to Curt Phillips from the Colonial Heights community of Kingsport TN. He's started for the Badgers their last 3 or 4 games. He was a runner/option type. No fit for UT at the time. He's blown out his ACL 3 times and is now a half way descent pocket passer.

jplemons80 writes:

Whoever the new head coach is, the only person that should be considered for defensive coordinator is Ron Zook. He is a great defensive coach, and maybe the top recruiter in the nation. With him on the UT staff, you'll be looking at top ten classes every year

gglardon50#417841 writes:

in response to punkin:

He may be but remimber he is getting $ 140,000 per month to do nothing.

GoVols025 writes:

in response to YORVOL:

Whoever we get needs to understand one thing. If he is agreeing to a four year turnaround program, he had better produce in two years or expect to be fired.

VolsFanInAfghanistan writes:

Look my true Vols fan. We all have a slew of coaches that we THINK can do the job for us. When we look at each one of these coaches resume they look pretty stacked, on paper and on the field. Each has a strength of recruiting some quality players, but we're talking about the SEC. Petrino, Strong, blah, blah, bah. These two know what it takes to win in the SEC. Petrino has the cloud over his head as to can we trust him to give us his all and if he can go into homes and recruit and show the parents that he is a changed man. Strong also has issues that a lot of you don't like as well, but he truly knows the SEC recruiting grounds of Florida. I think he realizes that speed is when we need, greasy fast speed. Yes I know he worked under Meyers at that other school we don't like so much, but he worked us over a few times with his defense. When we took it too them a few times and we thought we had it in the bag, he made the adjustments and came back and shut us down. Now before i'm accused of being a Strong fan i'm just putting it out there that we know he can coach. Yes, the Cardinals play in a somewhat weak conference, but I believe if we get someone that knows what it is we need we can contend sooner than some think. Just my opinion. GBO!!

GerryOP writes:

in response to born2ride:

Dave Hart dropped the ball with the Gruden hire.

No b2r, Hart did not drop the ball on Gruden, Gruden dropped the ball. Hart was all ready to fly to Florida to meet with Gruden but Gruden did not want to meet. Jon Gruden made UT and some of our illustrious supporters look foolish. Face it, Gruden is not a great football coach, he is a talking head entertainer on MNF. Great football coaches work on the sidelines, not in the broadcast booth.

volswinsome writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

Because OSU is the top dog in their conference. They win it or at least play for the title what, 3-4 out of 5 years. They're king on recruiting in their area. How many times in the least 7 years have they finished in the top 5? They're nearly always NC contenders. 1 year probation, big deal. Unlike TN, who is surrounded by better teams, is not anywhere close to the top in recruiting, and hasn't competed for a BCS bowl in a decade. Dominating the Big Canada 10 is relatively easy at OSU, plus it's Meyer's home ground. Winning at TN, right now...not so likely.

No matter what coach is hired, TN loses 6 games next year based on schedule alone. No matter what. Would you take on that job playing 4 of the top 5 teams in the country?

VolBall18 writes:

in response to LCPanthers:

If available:
1.Gary Patterson
2.Bobby Patrino
3.Tom Tuberville
4.Jim Mora

I've said this before. Get Patterson as the HC and Petrino as the OC. Put a clause in Petrino's contract that if he does something idiotic, he's gone without a buyout. We need more than just a head coach. If we were willing to pay Gruden as much money that was reported, then we can afford both of them on staff. It would give Petrino some credibility before going to another school to be HC.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to Lvillebill:

Hire Strong, bring back Chavis, keep Chaney. National Championship in 5 years.

You funny!

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to VOLtage:

Dooley . . . . . . . . . . . . . Bhahahaha!
Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

CantStandCantStandSaban writes:

in response to born2ride:

Dave Hart dropped the ball with the Gruden hire.

Gruden was never going to come to UT. He just likes reading his name in the paper.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to gobigorange5090:

Still having Grudengasms?

That response was awesome! born2ride is an idiot.

bkgunter writes:

in response to born2ride:

Dave Hart dropped the ball with the Gruden hire.

The "Gruden hire" existed only in this echo chamber. And it makes no sense, whatsoever. He is: Not interested, not currently coaching, not a college coach, and not a viable candidate. There may yet be a reason to question Hart's judgment on the matter, but the Gruden fantasy is not the one.

SummittsCourt writes:

Gruden - never was interested
Cutcliff - never was interested (as if)
Fisher/Gundy - using fake interest to get a pay raise

True Candidates
Strong (I think he is tired of big least football)
Davis (Rumor has it he wants the job)
Fedora ( I heard on a local sports talk radio show that Fedora was a main target for Hart - take that for what it is)

My guess is that Hart has his man and is working out details before an announcement is made.

RoyaltyVol writes:

in response to NorthwestVol:

I don't know much about Bielema but I love their physical running game.

If Bielma is truly interested in listening I would go hard after him. He has done great things at Wisconsin but his wife ( a model in her 20's) is a Wisconsin grad and they just got married 6 months ago or so, so she may not want to move. But on the other side of that is his young model wife may have monitary needs that UT could fulfill, either way I think him or Patterson at TCU would be the BIG hire we've been wanting.

6972 writes:

in response to punkin:

He will be disappointed. The hotel doesn't have any job vacancies.

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

"...didn't figure it could hurt to see if he could shoot the moon."

...didn't figure it could hurt to see if he could shoot FOR the moon.

Yeah, caught that after I posted it. I was hoping I would relate to some old Rook players...

mlynn1 writes:

in response to born2ride:

Dave Hart dropped the ball with the Gruden hire.

Doug Matthews says that's not true. I don't think you know more than him.

GOJO writes:

in response to lafollette37766:

Gundy would be a good choice but can UT afford him. It will cost UT 3 million to buy out his contract at OSU, on top of the 5 million owed Dooley plus the 4 million that UT could end up paying Dooleys assitants and thats not counting Gundys pay from UT. Do the math. Hiring Gundy could very well cost UT 12 million right off the bat. Kinda expensive.

*************

But we still have the money for the Brass to hang around a glitzy hotel in Manhattan.

BigDaddyOrange writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

Could well be right. Shaw can coach.

Man I'm telling you. He really impresses me. Most people thought that after Luck left and Harbaugh abandoned the ship, that was the end of the Cardinals for a while. Shaw has pulled together a heck of a team that really believe in themselves. Plus his record is squeeky clean and we need that right now.

jimr07 writes:

in response to GOJO:

*************

Did you want them to stay at motel6? This was the dumbest post of the day.