rbwtn writes:

Gee John how much did Strong pay You? Sounds to me like you really want to get this thing over with, Sounds like a mini Dooley to me. However I have to admit Tennessee isn't the quality favored school it once was after Fulmer was fired. Guess we just start over again. I just hope I see us back in the top five within my lifetime. Personally I have no problem with Strong at all. Get him and let's see how he does with Recruiting?

RoyaltyVol writes:

Strong will win at UT, he has won everywhere he has been. He is a major upgrade for our program and I'm looking forward to the big announcement and the Charlie Strong era.

eduardo writes:

in response to TheEffect:

I thought Tennessee was going to break the bank and get an elite coach? Charlie Strong?

Dooley was found at Big Lots. Now Tennessee is shopping at Walmart for coaches. More medicrity for Vol fans.

You said it man! According to our dictator we were going after a proven COACH who is capable of winning championships! wth! Dont you know bama, fla, ga and heck vandy are shaking in their shoes! Idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sabotage!

asleep#212036 writes:

in response to Orangeblood13:

Arkansas just trumped us in the hire if this is true
Everyone out there and we get Charlie strong ?

Disagree. If we'd hired Beilema I would have been sick. Has no recruiting connections in the south at all and isn't exactly wearing out the Big 10, which, outside of Ohio State isn't that far above the Big East. Wisconsin has been getting weaker every year since Alvarez resigned. Strong is a much better hire for us than Beilema for Arkansas. And Malzahn at Auburn pales in comparison as well. Go Vols!!!

GOVOLStcomp31 writes:

If Coach Strong is really coming here, I sure hope he keeps Graham, Pitman, and Chaney around. We had the #2 Offense in the SEC, and they ranked 3rd in the history of UT Football for total points scored, and also put 5 all SEC players out (considering our overall record, I think that speaks volumes for Chaney). I hope Coach Strong can get us back into top 25 recruiting before signing day, with some speedy defesnive players in the secondary.... Who ever the man is, we need better recruiting and speed in the defensive backfield! GBO!!

MikeTheVolsFan writes:

I'll just say one thing. A quote by an NFL team owner I was never hot or cold about, but led at one time, by a coach I admire and respect.
Just win baby!

rbwtn writes:

I was hoping that we would see the aggressiveness out of Tennessee's AD as we see in Arkansas. Congratulations Arkansas you went out and got a Coach that will make an immediate impact on your recruiting and the play of your team. Bret Bielema If Yahoo sports is right you got Just what Tennessee Needed! You see it can be done!

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to volspaws:

Say, John......what can you find out for us about the White Coaches Association?

Leave race out of it, please!

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to Orangeblood13:

Arkansas just trumped us in the hire if this is true
Everyone out there and we get Charlie strong ?

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

eVOLved writes:

Coach Strong has been in the news as a great coach for a long time. In 2004, I remember when internet thinkers commented on why he should be considered for the Notre Dame job that Weiss got, and how race might have played into it. After what he has accomplished professionally the past few years, the last thing anybody really cares about is race. If Coach Strong wants to talk about race, then I want to read about that. I also look forward to Jason Whitlock's articles, which will likely include occasional commentary about race. However, I hope this isn't one of many recurring KNS articles about Coach Strong's race, in an "over-doing-it" kind of way.

budd#207344 writes:

in response to BMSvol:

Whoever it is, he better be good after the Arkansas slam dunk.

you must be using sarcasm in describing Bulimea as a slam dunk. He stinks

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to laraccoon:

Hart makes so much less then all the other players in this equation. odd aint it ?

RoyaltyVol writes:

Just read that the offer is 3.75 million per year and announcement is tommorrow. Also Louisville team meeting tommorrow at 345 pm, but meeting was already scheduled for bowl prep. Louisville AD will probably match offer but I believe this is about Strong wanting to coach in SEC.

Colliervol writes:

in response to TheEffect:

Kentucky fans should never comment on football. Foreign subject for you junior.

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to BMSvol:

Whoever it is, he better be good after the Arkansas slam dunk.

What slam dunk?

crmcm44#321757 writes:

Once again UT is unable to attract the elite coaches. Hamilton's legacy lives on.

gobigorange5090 writes:

in response to TheEffect:

You're just mad because Gruden wasnt hired. Hell, he wasnt coming anyway!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to eVOLved:

Are you really endorsing that idiot Whitlock? He and Costas are both morons to suggest removing weapons will preserve life. As Smokey says: Only you can prevent forest fires. In case you don't get it, matches/lighters don't start forest fires, people do. This society wants to stick their head in the sand and pretend big bad guns are reason we kill, instead of holding the murderers liable we rationalize why the gun was really the culprit..Wake up America!!

eepwlg writes:

in response to thevoice:

Charlie Strong + Jim Chaney = decent team.

I agree. I suggest keeping more of the offensive staff as well. But the new coach must have the people he wants.

VolFanUSNavy writes:

I'll be honest. At this point, I would be happy to pull off at least one upset next year (FL, GA, or AL). I am not sure Strong will get us to the NC but we would be better than we are now. I would settle for just being considered a dangerous team. I would like to go into one of those games next year feeling like we can win not whether or not we can just keep it close.

springtx_vol writes:

in response to VolFanUSNavy:

Hire Charlie Strong, keep OL and RB coach and get rid of everyone else. Actually, Coiner is a good coach too.

Actually, I would keep the entire offensive staff and replace the entire defensive staff. If Sunseri would agree to take a pay cut and move to LB coach, that would be okay with me.

Strong, if he is the choice, certainly adds a defensive flair. He brings the advantage of being an African-American. Adding him to Coach Martin will really boost the recruiting in that community.

GiveHim6TDTennessee writes:

in response to florida-volfan:

Dont know about that one....Wisconsin was projected to have a very good year, but it didnt pan out. Looks to me that Bielema's run has run out up there..... and he jumped ship after a not so great year

Not so great? I'll take a BCS bowl, to hell with the record.

rk40977#297843 writes:

in response to jcalhoun4:

How about every college football that is white? Which in division 1 I think is more than 100 out of 120 teams. It's like when I was a student at Tennessee talking about HBCU's and somebody asked me if there were any historically white colleges and universities and I said, "you're at one."

Except there is no association for looking out for the interests of White coaches. But if "ours" is more than "yours" - who cares? Only, if that changes the other way, what then? Oh, too bad.

Now, why does anyone have to "cover" themselves with BCA? Is there a quota system in place? Who does BCA have to cover itself with? Or do they get to take free shots?

Funny thing about those "historical" references. It means they're in the past.

budd#207344 writes:

in response to Orangeblood13:

Just my opinion , that's okay to post here right?
Strong is winning in a weak big east, really weak right now
Just think we could have made this hire at anytime

I don't know maybe you guys that are rulers of
The blogs know better

Posting your opinion is fine. It is what this board is meant for. My take is that a 4-4 coach from the big ten is not as good as a guy who has 5 years as a DC in the SEC and knows the league and the recruiting grounds. Sorry if I hurt your feelings

kyvol98 writes:

I am really finding it hard to be excited about this, if it is true.

budd#207344 writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

Ohio St On probation hires urban myer. Florida hires muschamp (at the time he was a name)

We are going to hire a man who lost to syracuse 26-45 then follow up the next week with a loss to uconn.

He is going to huddle up and try to play power football against bama a florida good luck. Please vols fans wake up we are not bama or LSU we can not line up and out muscle these teams. You want to beat them you do like texas AM or Auburn with cam newton.

How can you hire this guy over gundy. Gundy was one freaking game out of the national championship game last year. Gundy has 8 yrs head coaching experience. The big 12 while it is not the SEC is a heck of a lot better than the big east.
It is obvious to me UT is not ready to play big boy football again.
Please say no charlie strong.

If you truly believe that the spread offense and no defense will work in the SEC you need to pick another sport. NO way

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to volspaws:

I can understand your concern. There are hardly any white college football coaches.

VolunteerimusPrime writes:

I don't get this short sighted talk about Strongs strength is defense. Coordinator changes are answers to deficiencies on ONE side of the ball. A coach with an offensive or defensive background shouldn't only be hired because he is opposite of the last coaches issues. Strong really makes me disgusted with UT. I wish I was a billionaire I would pay him to stay at Louisville.

RoyaltyVol writes:

in response to kyvol98:

I am really finding it hard to be excited about this, if it is true.

Look up his coaching history, not just HC experience and you will be more excited. His D won 2 Nat'l Championships. He has also coached under some great coaches and for several winning programs.

Its_Goooood writes:

I do not know whats going on but in the CLEVELAND BANNER ,our local newspaper , Alan Jones made a donation of an unspecified amount. I find the timing very odd. He was a CPF supporter. Is he showing his frustration or dissaproval of new coach?

tensie2004 writes:

This BCA just plain doesn't mean anything to me as a football fan and Vol supporter. I don't care what color the man is that we hire as long as he is the best candidate that we can get. People need to get over this black -white thing and move on. The Civil War ended in 1865 and the Civil Rights Acts were passed in 1965. The best candidate should get UT's job regardless of color. Enough said!

Vol-TIL-I-FaLL writes:

in response to Colliervol:

Kentucky fans should never comment on football. Foreign subject for you junior.

when thats what u see or think.. they call it fear

Its_Goooood writes:

I meant to say the donation was to Lee University SORRY

SeminaryVol writes:

This is an excellent hire IMO

1) People don't realize what a dumpster fire Louisville was when he got there. i used to live there and saw much of it first hand. No talent, no leadership, no confidence. He won the conference his second year, BCS this year.

2) He is a hard nosed, no nonsense personality.

3) He is a proven SEC recruiter and coordinator with ties to the deep South.

4) He has a personal vendetta against Florida and will light a fire under the Vols to take it to them.

I couldn't be more excited.

GBO

1vavolfan writes:

in response to rk40977#297843:

Funny thing about those "historical" references. It means they're in the past.

If whites had been brought over in chains, sold into slavery for hundreds of years, then systematically oppressed for 100 years following the 13th amendment then perhaps there would be a need for a white coaches association. If you think that racism is in the past you are very naive.

VFLVFLVFL writes:

I dont have a problem with this hire. You gotta have defense to win in this league. However, he would have been about 7th on my list. His recruiting and defense were mediocre in louisville.. i just hope he can push this into a top 10 recruiting class as well as keep some juniors from bounce to NFL.. Its ok tho. Hopefully the players will relate to an energetic coach.

BillsBrother writes:

in response to florida-volfan:

League Championship and a BCS Bowl game in a not so great year.
Wish we had that.

pcshowtime writes:

who said charlie strong can recruit look at rivals his class for this year is ranked 7th out of 8th in the big east. http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to SeminaryVol:

This is an excellent hire IMO

2) He is a hard nosed, no nonsense personality.

3) He is a proven SEC recruiter and coordinator with ties to the deep South.

I couldn't be more excited.

GBO

I agree that it would be an excellent hire, but it's not a done deal yet. I just hope he doesn't read the racist posts from the 5 or 6 klan types that post on here.

skyhawk836 writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

Come on, man. That's with only 10 commits.
He could go to Florida after the Sugar Bowl and get left-overs and close that gap easily.
BTW, these boards are proof that there is no such thing as "THE" guy.
Even Gruden had his detractors on here.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

All sounds good. Let's get someone in here soon. Let some defensive players know we need them.

pcshowtime writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

Strong next to last in recuiting in the big east 7th out of 8 teams
Larry fedora north Carolina acc slightly tougher conference is ranked 4th. out of 12 teams
Mike Gundy Big 12 way tougher conference than the Big East ranked 3rd behind texas and baylor.

please vols do not hire charlie strong

pingkr62 writes:

I'm sold. Let's give the guy a big money contract, and get the man to Knoxville...QUICKLY!!!

traderjoe writes:

Adams makes a good case for Strong. Strong may be, well, eh, strong. I don't hear mention of anyone else but Grundy and what I don't hear about Strong is the kind of things I don't like hearing about Grundy...like maybe Grundy is a bit of an egomaniac.

SouthTexasVol writes:

in response to ljlongtimevolfan:

If Charlie Strong is the best coach UT can hire just shut the program down.

I agree with your statement. Self imposed 7 year death penalty for all sports at U of T at K.

MR_VOL writes:

Strong is certainly not the coach I was led to believe that would be hired. I suggested Mora, Jr. but evidently he was not considered. At this point, I would rather hire Kirby Smart than Strong.

The only good thing I can see about hiring Strong is the amount of money UT will save. I would estimate that the total salary for Strong and his staff should be no more than six million per year which would save UT at least two million per year.

I would rather spend the extra money and get a better coach.

rk40977#297843 writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

Well, if its in the future we certainly ought to look into that. In the meantime, maybe the Vols can concentrate on football.

SouthTexasVol writes:

If charlie strong is hired it will be because he is black. cut and dried. And i will burn all my tennessee gear and become gator fan. There are much better coaches out there to be had than charlie. Hart is caving in to b.c.a.

rk40977#297843 writes:

in response to civilianvol_formerly_marinevol:

Wow, we need to get rid of those guys. Who are they?

pcshowtime writes:

in response to rk40977#297843:

Wow, we need to get rid of those guys. Who are they?

this is nothing racist he can not recruit his class is ranked 7th out of 8 teams in the big east.