One_in_West_Knox writes:

If players can be recruited like at Kentucky, EXCEPT for players who already may be so talented that they want to go to the NBA once they're born...

lomas98 writes:

I thought McRae was going to step up and start "going to dunk the ball" as he stated it? Seemed like same ole game and attitude from him. At this point in his career he is not a player that can be relied on every night. Stokes with 8 shots in 2 games is unacceptable. Some of his shots are on offensive put backs so we just don't know how to pass him the ball. He should have 8 shots in the first half of a game, not in 2 total games.

BornTNfan writes:

in response to AllVol1:

Wow. I was looking forward to the basketball team offering some relief from the football nightmare coaching search Jimmy Cheek debacle.

I was convinced that Cuonzo was going to take the Volunteers somewhere special. However, it already looks like things are getting worse. Four halves under 20? In today's college game? Nobody has that kind of defense!

Hope something gives in a big way.

I never like Cuonzo since the day he was hired. In fact, I though we should have never let Bruce Pearl go, but not my call. CBP brought an energy to the game, to the team and to the fans that I had not seen before. I would love to see CBP back and I hope we go after him. I am not set on the lady vols head coach either...still thinking that CHW was not the best hire. Only time will tell!

VOL1972 writes:

in response to Volbound1700:

We need to let Cuonzo Recruit. Clearly we need people that can shoot and Cuonzo needs to practice offense (he strikes me as a Coach Carter type which never practices offense). Give him some time. SEC is terrible this year so we may win a lot of games but we likely won't be in March Madness once again.

So who's stopping him? You coach defense and recruit offense. The collection of 3 star players Martin has recruited simply can't score at this level.

TucsonVol writes:

Another coaching problem!!! Hire a professional staffing group and get us a decent football and basketball coach!

D60 writes:

Hart ,how about finding a BB coach too, Clownzo doesn't have a clue. This is college BB not
grade school ball

Smokey91 writes:

Coach Martin is another Dooley, a quick fix hire that is blowing up. If your team does not know how to attack a zone defense, you have no right to coach in this league. Pretty pathetic showing the last two times out from a team that was supposed to be vastly improved. Never seen such poor shooting at any level. The guys play hard and the D is great, but the scoring and offensive fundamentals just aren't there. Sure do miss JM.

pcshowtime writes:

in response to Volbound1700:

I understand what you are saying. But honestly how many future NBA players want to play in that style B ball.

Volbound1700 writes:

pcshowtime, we don't need NBA calibur players, we just need another player like Chris Lofton. We need a shooting guard. Tennessee has lacked a 3 point threat since Lofton and JaJuan Smith left.

VOLSnTITANS writes:

What we saw last night was an improvement...36 points the game before, 38 points last night!! What more can you ask for?

tulelakevol writes:

Looks like the same team and coach that lost to Austin Peay last year.

Basketvol writes:

in response to titletownz:

Great. Throw a d@mn party on your own team's message board.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to AllVol1:

Hope something gives in a big way.

Whole heartedly agree..I couldn't wait for this team to take the floor but what we're getting is the same frustration as watching our football team give up 50 points a game!! Iam watching this team and outside of awful shooting I can't put a finger on whats wrong..Stokes isn't as good against more polished defenders and is getting forced to far from the basket..Golden is the key to the offense when things are going south but his drives to the basket and his outside shooting which were all falling;now aren't working..Some of the hopes for this team were hanging on McRae breaking out as a 14 ppg scorer but he has been awful..Gtown and VA gift wrapped the games for us and when the time came to snatch the victory all we got were stupid TO's and missed shots

JDL211 writes:

in response to Glentenn:

Only 2 more years until we can rehire Bruce Pearl! Wonder if we'll have a football coach by then.

If wishing only made it so. That year was so entertaining, watching UT fans humiliate themselves repeatedly over the scumbag known as Bruce Pearl.

underthehill writes:

With the 2nd place SEC finish last year..I thought this would be a fun season to watch..Maymon apparently means more to this team than I realized..I'll keep watching but the signs ain't good..it looks to me like the main objective of the player with the ball is just to get it to another player..I don't think that is much of a plan for offense..

in response to collegegrovebilly:

UVA played man-to-man on the vast majority of possessions. They did a good job of sagging in the middle out of it, though. I think the Vols' problem is mainly psychological right now; they seem to be pressing to me, not having seen the ball go down much lately. I have a few suggestions for their movement on offense which I may address later.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

You know something is wrong when your football team outscores your BB team.

in response to tennrich1:

I assume you did watch on ESPN3???? They are doubled him down low so tight he can hardly move....We need Maymon to help down low...big body to bang and loosen up the middle...and maybe that will help with shooting %'s

As I have said several times before, they need to get Stokes OUT of the middle. Rather, they should get him IN the middle, on the free-throw line, rather than burying him on the blocks. When he exclusively plays down low, this team can't pass it to him and it is too easy for the other team to double-team him.

He is a good candidate to be a classic high-post pivot man. He should be the hub around which the rest of the offense revolves. He is a decent passer who can see the whole floor from the free-throw circle area. He can step out to screen for the guards. He can shoot from the free-throw circle--shooting free-throws is a whole different psychological kettle of fish--and he has already shown he can drive it from there. Hall doesn't need to handle the ball at all if it can be helped except to catch it and dunk it. He can do that more easily if the middle wasn't so clogged up with Stokes and the retinue of defenders he attracts. Bring Stokes out high, pass it to him on every possession, and see what happens--it can't hurt at this point!

in response to UT4prez:

Tough game coming up next. Let's get behind the team and take pride in that crazy tough D they are playing. Focus on the positive, not the negative. There is a ton of ball left so don't get down on this team. The jury is still out on Martin. Give him time to make his mark as long as this team plays hard for him. Way too premature to talk about letting him go.

Agree completely. The guys are just pressing and playing tight on offense. They look like they are inverting John Wooden's famous phrase--they are confusing hurrying with being quick. I would also like to see them cut more decisively, come to hard stops in their positions, square up and gather themselves, make the defense react with fakes, and then make a decisive move or shot.

They have a bit of a break before their next game. This is the time to reboot the offense, practice free-throws, and let the guys breathe a little. I think everybody's minds are in a good place; no one could ask for more effort than they are giving on the defensive end. They just need to sharpen up their offensive concepts and RELAX!

LSG410EC83 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I don't know if I have ever told you before, but thanks for your well thought out replies on this board. Your voice is one of reason and not just a quick knee jerk reaction directly after the game. If everyone would just sit back and think a while before posting, the negativity would drop quite a lot here.(Except for the normal trolls that have nothing better to do in life) I am still not worried that much about our season. We need to realize that our leader, Maymon has been sidelined which is big blow and only hurts Stokes chances of being open under the rim. I have no worries that Coach Martin will make the adjustments needed. One thing for sure, he does not have to work much on the defensive side. Once the guys get back home for some games, I believe the shooting will improve which will slowly boost their confidence. Once again, thanks for the post. Look forward to the 13th. IT IS GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL. GO BIG ORANGE.

no1djkb#278630 writes:

I don't know much about basketball as you guys do so tell me this, can you coach a team not to shoot scared? They had open looks but could not put the ball in the basket. McBee who is suppose to be your scorer can't score himself. What can any coach do if they players can't put the ball in the basket? I don't remember Bruce Pearl's team being any better his last year as a coach. I think Coach Martin is a good coach. I just hope he can get better talented players in or he will be gone. The guys are terrible shooters.

VictorKruger writes:

in response to no1djkb#278630:

There is hope for next season - Hubbs is supposed to have a really good stroke, as is the injured freshman Derek Reese.

I think a big part of the team's problem on offense is that they're so "bowed up" from playing intense, physical defense that they can't relax enough on offense to make jumpers. It looks like a team full of Steven Pearls at times!

in response to VictorKruger:

As a former coach who prizes a good defensive effort, it is hard for me to say that too much effort on defense necessarily hurts the offense. There is, however, no doubt in my mind that a player needs a slightly different mindset to play offense than he needs to play defense. As you suggest, defense is constant scrambling effort; offense needs a degree of cool deliberation. My impression is that Martin has decided, not unreasonably, to make defense the main pillar of his coaching philosophy. There are countless adages concerning the value of great defense even when the offense is lacking. Therefore, it seems to me that the team spends way more time on defense than it does on offense. Well, it looks like the defense is pretty much fixed; now is the time to emphasize the offense. I have said before that I don't think there is any lack of talent on this team; they just need to learn to switch on and off between the optimum defensive mentality to the proper one for offense. A difficult and subtle task, but not one that can't be accomplished.

Ironcity writes:

Holding the ball for 35 seconds doesn't constitute good defense. Martin better get these guys going. right now a good high school team could give us a run.

in response to Ironcity:

I don't think they are deliberately holding the ball on offense, I just think they aren't quick enough to recognize when they have a decent opening or to take advantage of it when they do see it. Much of the relatively pointless passing is due to the lack of guys with the confidence or ability to put the ball on the floor with the intention of doing something positive with it. If you will recall, some of Pearl's teams had the same problem at times, and these are, after all, some of the same players.

It might be that all it takes to remove the lid from the basket is a relatively simple tweak or two. That would show the players that the coaches are willing to experiment a little; having something new to try might be enough in itself to lend a more positive feeling to the proceedings. No doubt they are in a bit of a mental funk on offense right now; if everybody just calms down and thinks positive, they might not play so tight. Easy to say, I know.

UTbasketballfan writes:

Defense is pretty good but our offense is not.You have to score more than 30 points to win ball games.we need improvement but i think we can get it together.

Southernboi writes:

in response to pcshowtime:

That is one of the reasons Austin Nichols didn't go to UT. Future NBA players want to be able to showcase their talents, not just through the ball around the perimeter.

oldvoltimer62 writes:

Mr.Hart get to looking for a replacement for Martin.

ETownVol writes:

in response to TKO:

When did the football team's secondary start playing football

They're hoping to next season but I wouldn't hold my breath.... lol!

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

Think we can buy out of the Memphis game? Looking like a 20 pt lose to me if Maymon isn't back.

Basketvol writes:

As frustrating as this game was to watch, there was one play that made me smile. Skylar McBee driving to the basket and scoring the two points. Has that ever happened before?

brod writes:

in response to underthehill:

Get a film of the Lady Vols against N Car and let the guys see how the game of basketball should be played..

get a clue. this is not women's basketball.

Awful lot of negativity on here. The way they are playing defense, if they had hit even 40% of their shots, they would have beaten both G'town and UVA by double digits. They have had a lot of good shots that just scooped out or hung on the rim before falling away. It happens. There has never been a great baseball hitter who never had a slump. I agree that the last two games were ugly, and if they don't get any better by the end of non-conference play, we may have real cause for worry. But we can't let the general funk surrounding UT sports these days drag us down. This team still has lots of potential, and I one for continue to believe in them.

in response to Basketvol:

He also faked a guy and dribbled in for a 15-footer against G'town! Now that he has done both of those things, as many of us begged him to learn how to do, maybe he won't feel he has to try to get off the 3-pointer against the hard close-out every time. Putting it on the floor a few times successfully will stop that hard close-out, giving him a chance to shoot the three in rhythm.