wmaze24 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Don't forget his flirting got him a huge raise.

AGREE. GOING FROM 2.3 MILLION TO THE REPORTED 4.1 MILLION BUYS LOYALTY.
IF HE HAD BEEN COMPLETELY HONEST HE WOULD NOT HAVE TALKED TO TENNESSEE OR ANYOTHER COLLEGE.
GOT OUR HOPES UP AND WENT TO THE MONEY.

63vet (Inactive) writes:

That's all well and fine and makes for a real mushy article. If Charlie's that loyal, why did he ever give an interview? That made the whole point moot.

BolivrBob writes:

Before we crown Strong Pope, don't forget he flirted to get a huge raise. I still wouldn't be surprised if it didn't end up being Gruden, ie Saban. I like Fedora anyway. He's don e much more with much less.

fearthehound writes:

Loyalty is beautiful and I'm sure he feels Louisville has been loyal to him, but let's see how loyal they remain if he has a couple of back to back losing seasons. Now that they've tasted success and the Sugar Bowl with ole Charlie, they won't be as patient in the future--especially when they start counting those extra bucks they had to pony up to buy his loyalty.

If he was so loyal, why didn't he just tell them 'no raise required to keep me'?

wmaze24 writes:

I WONDER WHAT HE WOULD HAVE DONE IF IT HAD BEEN THE GATORS OR TIDE WANTING HIM..JUST SAYING

grandtad#1402265 writes:

Our High School Coach just took our HS boys 13-0. Hart should interview him before he gets hired somewhere else! This just isn't happening!! He's letting all of them get away! Maybe he should only have 3 seasons to get it together!
Go Vols!

wmaze24 writes:

STILL WONDERING WHY WE AREN'T TRYING TO INTERVIEW PATTERSON TCU OR PETERSON BOISE ST.
CAN ANYONE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS.

rabblerowser writes:

in response to ashvol7:

I was wondering the same thing, I don't trust Dave Hart and I don't think Jimmy Cheeks has a clue. With all of the things UT has to offer it is hard to beleive they can't find a good coach. We should be looking to replace Hart and Cheeks along with Dooley.

Lets see now...what do they have to offer...CPP history...a bankrupt athletic dept... the treatment of Pat S.... a fan base that would expect 33 wins in his first 3 years...there must be something else?

UToldman writes:

Adams listen to this:
UT Weakness - Defense
UT Must Have - Recruiting Experience in SEC
We're beyond first tier coaches and into second tier. Why have we not gone after Kirby Smart. He fits the same criteria as Strong. Auburn went after him but he didn't like the NCAA witch hunt getting redy to start at Auburn. Kirby Smart is your man! Print that female dog!

utvolfan writes:

in response to BruisedOrange:

The more I read about C.Strong the more I like him--and he was my top choice at the beginning!

Head Coach experience notwithstanding, Tennessee needs to be the school that gives the next Charlie Strong his first chance.

Given the challenges to success at UT today (having to recruit nationwide, facing the NCAA's best teams regularly, and a fan-base that will be financially hit hard in the coming economy) we'll HAVE to land a coach who is INCREDIBLY HUNGRY for success, and willing to work like heck-and-a-half to be better than the rest.

I'm not convinced you can find the kind of commitment this program requires in a coach who has already "proven himself" as a head coach. We either have to find a head coach with Fulmer's fierce loyalty to Tennessee, or be the one who gives that first chance to the next Charlie Strong.

The demands of this job, and the odds against success in it, are too daunting to attract any other kinds.

Good post. I'd only include on the list of challenges a fan base that doesn't have much perspective (e.g., is impatient, intolerant, unrealistic, self-centered, and brutal).

BuckFama writes:

Blah blah blah.

Remember, readers, that the writer of this piece, who says that he admires dedication and trust, was the primary ringleader among the press who advocated the underhanded backstabbing of coach Fulmer. A coach who had two bad seasons during a 16 year career, and who was less than a year away from a bowl win and an SEC east title, and who even in his worst 4 year stretch still had a winning record overall and a winning record in the SEC.

Karma will smack you right in the mouth. Fulmer was just in New York being inducted into the HOF. Where's UT's football program now that it's 4 years removed from coach Fulmer?

I am ashamed to wear my UT colors. Not because I'm ashamed of UT itself, but because I am ashamed of UT's administration, most the local press, and the idiot UT fans who advocated the deceitful treatment of our HOF coach.

utvolfan writes:

in response to BradleyJKinkaid:

Trust me, I am all for character (we need some ourselves), but don't be too fooled.

Yes, he stayed with the kids he recruited, but he did talk to us, he did consider us, and at the end of the day he got paid more.

He used this job offer to get something. I know it has become protocol in coaching, but is it right to threaten your current employer to get a raise. If he was truly all in at UofL, then why didn't he just tell UT from the beginning, "I'm not interested, at all."?

It sounds as if he isn't a one-dimensional thinker. Consideration of alternatives, collecting information, and weighing options = a reasonable strategy.

wallingdad writes:

in response to Noiseboy:

READ MY LIPS. Before UT lost to MIZU I said on this board the 4 best coach candidates based upon cost were Gundy $$$$; Strong $$$; Malzahn $$; Dykes $. But all you idiot Chucky lovers killed what opportunity Hart had to get a deal with the top 3 of those guys and who really wants the Dooley successor at La-Tech? Hope you like a 7-5 ACC coach 'cause that's what you deserve.

So tired and disappointed with all this phooey, I'm gonna put this out there one time.

JIMMIE JOHNSON. One of 2 coaches ever with a Super Bowl and an NCAA ring.

If Hart has the .... and the bank account left, give the guy $6 mil guaranteed for 5, and his staff $4 mill and see what he says. He knows he can win in this league, just make it worth the effort.

How could anybody on this site kill anything. Good God do you believe that Hart reads these posts and makes his mind up based on them? Get a life for crying out loud.

chattbud writes:

In response to TennFan4075:
Do the JA critics not realize how foolish it looks to bash Adams time after time yet continue to read his stories? The scary part is it seems to be the same people over and over and some even manage to bash the same story multiple times. I have always thought continuing to read or listen to someone who I consider to be wrong or inept was a waste of my time, but maybe not. I guess it really is about killing the messenger if you don't like the message.

Adams should resign from his messenger duties @ KNS. Messenger my but,. he’s the leader of the mob. He’s an incompetent hypocrite under the job description of a KNS Journalist. JA now equates Strong’s loyalty to Louisville, as an honorable trait in a coach. J A, let’s remember back to the Fulmer days & Fulmer’s loyalty to his beloved Tennessee. He poured his sweat & heart into this University his entire adult life! And you the messenger criticize Fulmer at every turn; your article stoked the flames to remove Phil Fulmer in 08. You articles said Tennessee would do better without Him. Where was you honor in those days to coach Fulmer? I give you example: October 2008, just 11-months after Fulmer & Tennessee Won the SEC East & played LSU in the SEC championship game. Your article criticized Fulmer that he should go. Remember?,.. The SEC Championship game, JA? Eric Angie was throwing into the end zone with 2-min’s to go to beat LSU!,.. The eventual National Champion! Those were the GOOD old Day’s! 2007. But by 2008 just 11-months later, Adams the messenger was twisting the knife in Fulmer’s & Tennessee until Fulmer was replaced with,..KIFFIN! Adam’s in 2012 was up to the same old tricks. JA twisted the knife in Dooley’s third season. JA was asking the fans, Dooley & players to give up on the team & year & resign by mid season. 2013 Dooley would have had an entire offense & defense back and Dooley was in the running for several 4* & 5* recruits, now vanquished to the other SEC powers. JA the messenger has thrown Tennessee into Koss again. JA the messenger pulled the plug on this season. He got Dooley fired, clearing the path for JA Fantasy Gruden Hire. Where’s Gruden Adam’s? You never had any facts just gossip in reporting Gruden was coming. Your articles are your fantasies. Adams sticks his pen through the heart of our program most ever time he puts it to paper. John you should resign. It’s the honorable thing to do.

IndyVolFan writes:

in response to redmcman:

It is refreshing to see a coach be loyal to the school and players. BUT WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN TO TENNESSEE. Is this a compitant coaching search being done by the UT administration?

Could it be that he was saying, "Hamilton should have hired me 3 years ago" Why would I leave now? Hamilton may continue to haunt us for decades.

LCPanthers (Inactive) writes:

in response to tnvol34:

OK! YOU JUST GOT STRONG A PAY RAISE! WHOSE NEXT MR HART! NOBODY WANTS THIS JOB! GET PETRINO, AND GET IT OVER WITH, BEFORE HE'S GONE TOO! DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT'S GOING ON!

I agree totally---good coach---also Gary Patterson-Tom Tuberville-Jim Mora

Lizardgrad89 writes:

in response to BradleyJKinkaid:

If a competitor came to you and offered you double what you are making, what would you do? No one would blame you for jumping, but if you really loved your job and your company, you might go to the boss and tell him that you've been offered a lot more money, but you'd like to stay. That gives him a chance to match the offer.

NOBODY turns down a huge pay increase just for loyalty. Even if you are stupid enogh to consider it, you probably have a wife, and I promise, she's not that stupid.

JWilly writes:

I was thinking...a few years ago Bama was pretty much in the same situation as we are. Mostly due to a renegage booster (Logan Young) and other coaches ratting them out (Fulmer?). Bama has pulled themselves out of the hole and are stronger than ever. I suppose the irony is that no one threw UT's football program under the bus. This mess was acheived 100% by our own doing. The first rule when you find yourself in a hole is to stop digging. Right now the shovels are working hard.

budd#207344 writes:

in response to chattbud:

In response to TennFan4075:

You still haven't answered the question. Why do you and summitts court and bankervol and others keep reading his articles if he is so bad? Are you that lonely? Do you really love JA and think this will get him to notice you? That by writing your hatred he will somehow see the error of his ways and become Evan Woodbury ,the Easter bunny of UT football? Please

Supersayin1 writes:

Mad respect for Mr. Strong! Can't get mad at that!

Vol_In_The_Ville writes:

in response to GAVols:

Very loyal.....he played both universities to get a massive raise. This move was full of integrity. I don't blame him for playing the game, but please don't paint him as a Saint.

He didn't play that "game". You can take Charlie Strong at his word. The dude couldn't get a serious look at HC jobs for a long time - could be race, could be he's a bad interview. Everyone wanted to interview Strong because they needed to interview a black candidate and he was the obvious choice - UF DC - Perfect....but nobody seriously considered hiring him. UL did and it actually brought Strong to tears.**********Just because you think you know why Charlie Strong didn't take the UT job doesn't mean you actually do.

espender#273698 writes:

I just remember the last "great hire" from Louisville was Wade Houston....that went over really big.
Move on and count your blessings.

espender#273698 writes:

in response to JWilly:

Yeah, Fulmer and 9 other SEC coaches, including Spurrier "ratted" Bama out. UK's coach was up to his neck along with Bama's in the pay for play scheme. But on another note, you're pretty correct about the self inflict wound due to a certain former AD.

volboy50 writes:

I have no opinion on Strong's character or integrity, don't know the man. But I do know this:

Come to UT for same or less money than Louisville and win what, 6 games maybe in the toughest conference in fb, the SEC for how many years? Or go to the ACC and win 9, 10, 11 games per year, depending on the divisional breakdown, go to the Orange bowl, build your resume and THEN wait for other bigtime coaching positions?

Charlie made the right decision for Charlie.

Ayres_Hall writes:

in response to NYCApple:

The comments here just fully validate the fact that JA has absolutely NO IDEA what's going on in Knoxville, or has ANY insight into the program/coaching search. Lol.

The comments here validate that no one outside of Dave Hart knows what's going on.

This newspaper, Chattanooga's newspaper, rivals, 24/7, or anyone else.

pcorange writes:

in response to Orangeblood13:

Gary Patterson will listen, should have been first stop

He'll listen just like Strong did. TCU has made the same public statement that Louisville did: they will beat any offer we can make to keep him at TCU.

runninbroke writes:

in response to BradleyJKinkaid:

That is true... He's loyal and good up to a point. The point where they were going to give him more money. I do like for coaches to stay put, and I hate to "kiffin" someone say like Fedora from UNC after the one year. Hart needs to hit a homerun and I hope some of the heavy boosters get involved and find us a surprise like Arkansas got with Bielema

Colliervol writes:

I admire the loyalty aspect of his decision. Jurich took a chance on him and gave him his first shot and I respect that. But I also know about the old story of Big Dogs and porches. And there are lots of coaches out there that want NO PART of the Big Dogs in this conference. It takes a special coach to want to do it and to thrive in the SEC. It's even tougher now than it was 10 or 20 years ago. If a coach is hesitant to do it, I'm not sure we want him. He's better off staying where he is.

bigal728 writes:

in response to born2ride:

Strong would have been a failure.

Gruden is the only coach who can turn the program around.

How bad could he have been compared to Dooley? Sounds like sour grapes on you part.

cloudodust writes:

Strong didn't turn down Tennessee for the university and team. Strong turned down Tennessee because he didn't command the money he would have taken to lure him away from Louisville at this time in his career. Someone told me when I was but a lad 'You're worth what somebody's willing to pay you.' Like the Tuna fish, Sorry Charlie. You ain't worth that much to Tennessee...

cloudodust writes:

...and to expound upon myself in an area of concern : I know Tennessee is behind the 8 ball in some regard(s). I will not name names or point out what Volunteer followers know, but it's gonna take a coach with some guts to step in and turn things around. Someone willing to take on a challenge and truly make a name for themselves by doing so. To date, we've found no one willing to leave their comfort zone, where ever that may be. Now if our stables were stocked and recuiting was great, Tennessee would be turning them away. It's appears it's going to boil down to an asst somewhere willing to roll the bones. As a fanbase, are you ready to accept that concept..?

burpee_von_rotweiler_IV writes:

Charlie Strong is the "Anti-Kiffin."