volaholic45 writes:

I think you mean "legions" of the miserable, if you are trying to quote Johnny.

I hope Hart and Jones understand that the fans have been so traumatized by one blow after another for so long that they should get a pass on their initial reaction to this hire, especially given the irony that Dooley's pitiful signature win came at the new coach's expense, and that they know they will continue to pay Bama-Fla-Jawja prices for a Kentucky experience in a cavernous SEC stadium that mocks them with memories of past glories, like the coliseum in Rome.

Once past the shock of yet another disappointment (we should be getting really good at it), we should at least be able to admit that we upgraded. After all, BJ has a winning record, and his last podunk job isn't nearly as podunk as the last guy's.

The BJ hire is probably the truth about the Tennessee job - the truth about what kind of coach we can attract, no matter how much money is offered. Now THAT'S a devastating reality - the UT job is better than Cincy's, but not better than Louisville, OkSt., NC, TCU, Vandy, and UCLA, not to mention Southern Cal and ESPN. This program is on life support.

Ares writes:

I donate over 100,000 dollars a year. That ends today. Tennessee is not the Tn I graduated from in 82.

Ironcity writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

lmao same ole same ole posters. Same garbage as when every coach is hired. Some pretend fans. They don't like being called trolls. It hurts their feelings I suppose. However they're ok with bashing coaches.

You have to be for the coach before any games have been played. Go UT Go Vols.

I agree, The same people would ahve said the same thing if we had hired Kelley (now at ND and in the title game). I am glad that our new coach has ZERO ties to Alabama, Ga, and Florida. I am tired of getting hand me downs form our biggest competitors.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

If he wins.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to Ares:

Bye,Bye Mr. Buffett.

5bleedorange writes:

in response to LostALLConfidenceInHart:

I've loved my Vols since I was 9 and went to my first game with my dad... I only signed up for this to vent my complete and total frustration with Dave Hart. I know tons of season ticket holder in Bristol/Tricities area who will not be renewing this year. I cannot and will not support the slide into permanent mediocrity... It's the best a mediocre coach can do... we just became Mississippi State, NOT THE VOLS I KNOW! I refuse to watch this anymore... Done!

you are not a vol fan... because when your a vol your a vol for life.... good ridance

jdogg44 writes:

Go Vols!!! and welcome to Coach Jones and his family.... step it up and bring it all!!!!

KenNchicago writes:

Lawd, this keeps getting worse. Mike Hamilton hired that carpet bagger Lane & the follow up with Poor Dolittle Dooley but, this is where UT is.. And for saying that Purdue wanted him. The toilet makers are a 3rd tire B1G team....that's all they could attract. CU is an awfull mess NOBODY wants that job. I could see Petrino landing in Boulder.

etsu2k4#635301 writes:

As an Alum, I supported TN Football when they made decision to fire Fulmer only to hire Kiffin and then Dooley. I thought the moves were wrong but bought into the idea that as fans we needed to "give them a chance". I bought the shirts, hats, tickets and PPV. They rewarded my loyalty with losing football games and becoming the joke of the SEC...not to mention college football. With this hire, I am done with supporting UT Football until they get things fixed and they can start with firing Dave Hart!

signalcorps writes:

I think he'a good hire,,as long as he remember tn has never had a problem getting players if the coachs go out and recruit big time 24/7...

5bleedorange writes:

in response to Ares:

maybe if you donated more we would have got the coach you wanted..... bye bye

volinlouisvilleky writes:

in response to Vol_In_The_Ville:

BYE

Been a tough ride for me in the Ville past couple of days...how bout you?

Ironcity writes:

The problem UT fans have is their are no coaches with UT ties worth having at this time. Its hard to find a home grown talent when their are so few. Fulmer had a loyal staff but only one went on to become a head coach elsewhere. Thier is no Tennessee coaching tree. We accept Gruden as one of our own when he only was a grad assistant one year and married a cheerleader.

It sounds like T Martin is coming back, Getting Graham to stay will be important. Like it or not this fan base unites behind guys we believe love our University as much as we do. It s the reason so many were OK bringing Fulmer back as coach. I think Fulmer is pretty much a slam dunk as the next AD. The only question now is when.

volmac72 writes:

in response to volaholic45:

I think you mean "legions" of the miserable, if you are trying to quote Johnny.

Totally agree. I'll reiterate the point, isn't this the coach who was defeated by Dooley & Staff last year??? A culture change is needed at UT. What happened to Butch Davis?
I hope BJ is successful, I just don't see it happening, and UT again competing with Saban and the rest, but good luck dude. UT should start recruiting new fundraisers and boosters. If $5 million is what it takes to get Saban like quality, why is UT settling on low-tier coaches or refusing to open up the purse. Another decade of irrelevance and mediocrity.

Go Vols! (at least shoot for .500 conference success rate! Aiming for a NC is way beyond expectations these days.)

nardo4ut writes:

All i know is coach jones has been successful at every stop he has made. Can't say that for Dooley now can we? He was tutored under brian kelly, who now is Home Depot National coach of the year for the second time in the last 5 years. It is almost embarrassing at how idiotic the majority of our proud fan base sounds when things don't go the way we want it to. This guy is a winner and that is good enough for me, i myself am tired of getting killed by EVERYONE in the SEC. Suck it up people and be proud and quit your whining!

ohiovolunteer writes:

Dave Hart and Jimmy Cheek have successfully turned UT into a laughing stock. This is a was, rinse repeat of the Dooley hire. I am shocked that the fanbase is sitting by and not taking stronger action for such an inept hire.

To do well at TN one has to be able to recruit FL, GA and SC well. To a lesser extent, LA as well and get some TX and CA kids. What ties does Jones have to any of these areas? NONE!!!!!!!!!

Unless he gets a crack staff that can recruit in these areas we are in for a real butt whipping. This guy is a Midwest guy and only has ties there.

I will watch his staff selections carefully. If he tries bringing his Midwest staff with him, I am done.

CummingVol writes:

Happy to see thoughts of reason from my re-located North Atlanta brethren. Tired of settling in K-Town; Jones' stock is on the rise, and at least he has some pedigree. Everybody "known" was just using us -- and abusing Hart. Besides, if things don't go well in three or four years, perhaps an old Favorite Son playing QB in Denver may come home...

GO BIG ORANGE!

Scottallen6691#1412403 writes:

we need a fire in Tennessee and we got one, Flordia has muscky and we got Jones lets build it boys and get it done GO BIG ORANGE

atnvol#283282 writes:

in response to Ares:

Tennessee wasn't worth a shet when you went to school there....and hasn't been significant in the last ten years...what took you so long to stop your funding this foolishness........ Mr.Moneybags

5bleedorange writes:

in response to etsu2k4#635301:

looks like vandy is on the rise i am sure they would take you..... good bye.. remember when your a vol you are a vol for life

5bleedorange writes:

in response to jdogg44:

i agree.. he turned down two other offers to get this job because he wanted it...he wanted the challenge of rebuilding this mess i admire him for that alone... now give him an open checkbook and get some top notch assistants...GBO...VFL

Flight_of_the_vol writes:

I'm withholding judgement on Jones. I hope he's a great fit and great coach. But Hart didn't handle this well. To go out and make a rush hire 2 days after your obvious number 1 told you no, let alone the one guy dooley beat by double digits looks pitiful. Plus its not a hire up but to the side.

All that said, I hope he's a good coach and I'll cheer for him.

Dickattrade writes:

I am 71 years old,attended UT in the the late 50s and have been a season ticket holder since 1966. I have seen both good and bad years. I have supported the team and the coach from Harvey Robinson to Dooley. I will support Coach Jones until,if and when,he proves to be a failure.He will be a winner until he proves himself other wise...VFL

bbmon13#478091 writes:

hey - I remember Butch Jones - he was Cooter on the old Dukes of Hazzard show....right?

DeltaCharlie3 writes:

Keep Butch Davis!

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

in response to LostALLConfidenceInHart:

Good riddance, if you supported a career position coach, Dooley only coached (Tight-ends) before getting HC job off Sabans rep.

Yet you refuse to give a guy with 6 yrs HC experience all with a winning record and bowl wins?

Another non UT fan troll with zero knowledge of football, good bye we don't want your kind around here no more.

TNVOLNTX writes:

There are no sure things in life or in sports. That said, in 6 years as a head coach, he has 2 MAC Titles and 2 Big East Titles. In addition, he's the first coach we have hired since Johnny Majors that came in with a winning record as a Head Coach. Given the coaches that were available that we might have been able to lure to Knoxville, I think Coach Jones might very well have been the best hire we could have made. Go CBJ and Go Vols!

illinoisvolfan writes:

Butch Jones is the Head Coach of the University of Tennessee football team...therefore, I support him. GBO!!

TNVOLNTX writes:

One other thing. Hart has done very little to impress me since he's been at UT; however, I'm re-thinking my opinion of him after hearing the comments by both the Louisville AD and the Cincy AD. Seems that Hart handled the search with class and was the only AD out of at least 5 schools that courted Jones who actually followed proper protocol before speeking directly to the coach. There's something to be said for doing things the right way.

vq4nfo writes:

Butch a name that UT fans can relate to. They never could with Derick. Goes along well with the Blue tick coon hound. Manly name.

TNVOLNTX writes:

in response to bbmon13#478091:

That was Ben Jones

MathMan1973 writes:

in response to volaholic45:

I think you mean "legions" of the miserable, if you are trying to quote Johnny.

This comment hits the nail on the head... Jones may not be the right coach for UT... However, he is the coach right now... The SEC welcomes him... It will be time for him to Man Up and show his coaching and winning ability.

thevoice writes:

in response to Ares:

Evidently Strong, Gruden, Gundy didn't want the job. Just curious... who should we have hired?

TNVOLNTX writes:

in response to Ares:

To quote Curly Bill in Tombstone: "Well...Bye!"

volinlm writes:

Welcome to Big Orange Country, Coach. I think you will do a great job and you have my full support. Whatever that's worth.

Nighthawk writes:

in response to brod:

i just hope that he doesn't install a chuck and duck offense. ut needs to get back to a mix of pass and ground game attack.

An analysis of Butch Jones style

"Under Jones' leadership, Cincinnati has always been one of the most exciting offensive and defensive units to watch. On offense, they've been known to spread you out and be incredibly balanced, and on defense they're going to be fundamentally sound and pin their ears back and flat out get after the quarterback."

I wouldn't call that "chuck and duck"

LifetimeVolFan98 writes:

It's no wonder this fan base is as divided as we are...the local media feeds us this B.S. just to keep things stirred up. Geez!!! If you can't support the new coach and even give him a chance before he even steps foot on campus then go somewhere else!! WE DON'T NEED YOU!!!

Welcome to Big Orange Country coach Jones!

oldwesttnfan writes:

We have a coach, whether he was the number one choice or the number five or number ten he is our coach, he comes with better success than Dooley had,so if you are a REAL Tennessee fan we should support him with all of our means and if you are a rival fan who wants to bad mouth and trash talk our team, then you need another hobby, I suggest checkers or jacks which would be more suitable for your mentality.

LifetimeVolFan98 writes:

in response to Nighthawk:

An analysis of Butch Jones style

I wouldn't call that "chuck and duck"

In addition, their D gave up half as many yds per game and half as many pts per game as UT did....

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to CDRKen:

It does not matter what we believe. Let's get behind the guy and be positive! Go VOLS!

CDRKen,

Agree.

Will the KNS ever put these polls to rest?
They always want to stir the fire however.

thevoice writes:

in response to TNVOLNTX:

Agreed.

TNVOLNTX writes:

in response to etsu2k4#635301:

So you're bragging about being loyal in a post that, at its core, is announcing your intent to be disloyal. Alrighty then!

OwensboroVol writes:

in response to Dickattrade:

I'm only 64 but we may have been chasing some of the same girls on Cumberland Ave. Agree 100%. Its time for everyone to get behind Coach Jones and support the Vols. I am currently writing the check for my annual contribution.

Halls3 writes:

Anyone who can win with a QB named Munchie Legaux can do something right. In all seriousness give it a chance. Next year's schedule is brutal, no matter who the coach will be. He had a winning record at Central Michigan & made Dan LeFevore look like Tim Tebow. What's Central Michigan done since he left, nothing. He is an up & coming coach & seems to be a good person & coach. Remember Phillip Fulmer & General Robert Neyland were just nobody position coaches when they were hired. He may work out, he may not work out no one knows. Do know the last 2 coaches to leave Cincy for a big name program have worked out pretty well. D'Antonio has been solid at a weak Michigan State program & Brian Kelly is the best coach ND has had since Lou Holtz walked the sideline. Nice thing for Jones is if he does win 7 or 8 games next year it will exceed everyone's expectations.

vol-in-tears writes:

"I've got a coach that lives on Rocky Top
half BEAR other half CAT" In 2011 Dooley
used him like a mat, I'm not dreamin' bout' that."
"Rocky Top you'll never see a crystal ball at UT,
poor ole' Rocky Top,
it just got worse at Tennessee"

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to brod:

What does "get back to" mean? The Vols rushed the ball 35 times per game, and passed it 39 times. That's a pretty balanced mix, specially when you consider the times they were forced into almost all passing late in the game trying to catch up.

dquehl_4206#578556 writes:

I TOLD YOU ALL THE OTHER DAY IF YOU LOOK AT MY COMMENT I SAID BUTCH JONES. I AM A VOL FAN AND LOVE THE VOL'S , I ALSO LIVE IN CINCINNATI AND I AM TELLING YOU HE IS VERY INTENSE AND HE KNOWS HOW TO COACH. YOU ALL WILL SEE IT FROM DAY ONE, FANS UP HERE LOVE HIM.

GO VOL'S
TENNESSEE DON

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

Only time will tell if he's the right hire. There's no way to know right now, no matter what morons like HenryFordsSphincter say.

I just saw a tweet, though, that said he's half bear other half cat (coming from Cincy), so maybe it's fate?

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

I think I'm more interested in who he's going to have on his staff. Will he keep anybody? I'd think he would want to keep a couple of guys for the sake of continuity.

VolunteerLifer writes:

Unlike Dooley, At least this guy looks like a football coach.