Snapshot writes:

in response to SummerfieldVol:

According to this sight Tennessee only made offers to 1-2 coaches 1st to Charlie Strong and second to Mike Grundy at OKS,so if my math is right Butch would be offer number # 3. I think it is a very good choice,he has not coached a game yet and some of yo are already saying he will be gone in a few years,why don't you just go away and pull the hole in behind you. Very pessimistic view point.

You realize he is a gater troll, right?

usafvol writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

What insight suggests he might fail? Hmm, lemme think....

How about the fact that he was the 7th or 8th choice, or the fact that UT was battling Colofreakingrado for his services, or even better still, Derek Dooley pummeled him as HC.

This is an awful hire, slightly better than Dooley.

Oh, he wasn't the first choice and thats your logic? You're a total buffoon! Google "Buffoon" because you probably have no idea what that is..

willtowin writes:

Let's show some class guys. Other coaches do take notice and if there comes a time we need to make another change they will remember how we treated Jones. Not only that, if Jones is successful and another school comes calling we want Jones to be loyal and make the decision difficult for him to leave. We need to be smart here.

fearthehound writes:

in response to TNVOLNTX:

In 6 years as a head coach he won the MAC title twice, the Big East twice, and is the reigning 2 time Big East Coach of the year. Forget the silly pipe dreams. Of candidates who might actually have been interested in coming to UTK, name ONE with a better resume than CBJ. His resume is better than Saban's resume when Saban went to Michigan State. It's better than Meyer's resume when Meyer went to Florida. It's better than Les Miles resume when Les went to LSU. Some of you are just willfully ignorant or perpetually miserable or both. This isn't a bad hire at all and could prove to be a great hire. Only time will tell.

All well said. I just hope that CBJ, any assistants, players, or prospects never bother to read posts on any of these sites. All they will get is a bunch of negative drivel. I know one of my New Year's resolutions is to not read them anymore.

kman29 writes:

Dont be mad. The Tennessee program is what it is. Not every program can have an opening one day then make a hire the next day on their 1st choice then have that same coach in their 2nd season go 11-1 and get to a BCS bowl and only pay that coach 2.5 million a year.

Razzle writes:

in response to MurfVol77:

For all you haters out there here is some perspective. For all you TRUE Vol fans out there here is stating the obvious...

Thanks. Good article.

HooRay_Vol writes:

PETRINO FOR OC!!!!!!!

oskie_score writes:

"UT AD paying 17m for two HC's over the next 3 yrs", "largest debt, smallest reserve" ...

Winning = filling seats (Neyland), more televised (national exposure) gms, Bowl Invitations, improved recruiting, selling more UT products, etc.
~
Winning = Revenue
Revenue = Debt reduction
Debt Reduction = Revenue reinvested.
~
Winning = Cure all.

The program is at a crossroads. This is a defining hire.
If BJ can win in the SEC all will be well, if not our program slips further towards irrelevancy and our financial wows worsen...

RoyaltyVol writes:

All that matters comes next fall, do we win! If so we all will be Butch Jones fans, but until then lets support our new coach and his family and make them feel welcome as they are now Tennessee Vols!

GainesvilleVol1 writes:

How is Dooley supposed to survive on a paultry 102,000 per month?? To say I'm in the wrong business is the understatement of my life!!

pcshowtime writes:

All that matters contract wise is the buyout and schedule. If he is good fine but if not we do not need to be robbed like we were with dooley and sal sunseri

lknvol writes:

We got exactly what we deserved, an up and coming young coach who is a proven winner. I for one appreciate that he WANTS to be here and has already turned down two other jobs! Nows if we can just get rid of Cheek, we'll be in good shape. It will take some time, but I'm a VOL and behind CBJ!!

volprof80 writes:

Dear Butch Jones,

Welcome to Tennessee!
We have the worst fans in America.
Good luck.

senatorgip#470888 writes:

in response to tnoutlaw2001#228008:

Oh my god you are so right, what were they thinking, I mean LSU hired Nick Saban after going 34-24 at Michigan state and they paid him more money what were they thinking?

Oh no Florida hired a guy from UTAH that ran a spread offense and paid him all kind of money and he won 2 National title at Florida what on earth were they thinking!!! These peoples are so mad they hired a coach that has a winning record for 6 yrs now and wins in bowl games, oh now what idiots they must be to think such awful things. I'm going to go stand in traffic now because I hear its fun and so cool to be dumb.

Totally agree with your comments ! We have some of the worst fans in America ! Throwing out insults and ugly comments to a new head Coach is pretty ignorant ! I used to think that Alabama and Florida had the worst fans in th SEC ! Now I see that Tennessee has surpassed them. Very sad commentary on society !

muletrain144 writes:

I have been a Vol football fan since a little boy, I am now 68 yo. I used to get physically sick when they lost. Now I am just disappointed, which is most of the time. My true Vol fans lets give the new coach a chance, He deserves that much. He might just turn out to be our savior. All those who are not true vol fans need to stay off this website and go to which ever team you are for. As for me, I will always be a vol football fan, even though I do get very disgusted when they lose. Give the coach a chance, he deserves that much. If in 3, 4 years he hasn't won the conference or at least played in the conference championship game we can get rid of him then. Remember this decline in winning didn't happen over night, it has been going on for 7 8 years. Thanks

bigdisbig writes:

in response to tnoutlaw2001#228008:

To all TROLLS. You are so fake, and not at all UT fans or football fans.

You are trolls looking to spread ignorance.

UT offered 2 people the job, this is confirmed. Charlie Strong and Gundy. That's it, no one else was offered. Gruden took a phone call that lasted 5 minutes and that was a total long shot anyway and probably would have been a terrible hire. The guy has no experience recruiting and no experience coaching in college.

So you come to a Vol fan site and run your mouth about garbage you know nothing about. Trying to say UT was desperate in hiring a guy that was offered up to 5 different jobs this year alone, and as others have stated was offered jobs last year and the year before, but some how he is bad or a desperate choice?

Taking Gruden would have been desperate, hiring a guy on rep alone and no resume at the college level. But they chose a guy with 6 yrs experience (Strong only has 3), great recruiter with experience (recruiting the south and Midwest), and bowl game experience and you call it desperate? that's ignorance.

Hey Gilligan, just FYI....Gruden wears a SUPER BOWL RING. He doesn't have to know how to recruit. All he has to do is show up at a 4 or 5 star recruits door and say NFL football. IF Gruden went to any school he would have the number 1 class the first year. He could go to Kentucky and within 3 years win the National Championship dude. All recruits have a dream to play in the NFL. He could deliver that dream for most. Gruden is to recruits what Santa Clause is to kids man.

You need to go to ER as quickly as possible for you must have fallen off the roof and split your skull to believe otherwise.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to bigdisbig:

Hey Maryann- it takes more than a ring to win on the college level - ask charlie weiss - he has 3

Gruden would be lost trying to coach on the college level - he wasn't even that good of a pro coach. Remember he was traded from Oakland for an average player and a bag of chips and he was FIRED from Tampa Bay.

Today's kids only know him as that loudmouth on MNF - he doesn't impress anyone but you grudenite losers.

Vol43 writes:

in response to traderjoe:

I'm stating an economic reality, taxes and health care costs are going up...do you dispute this? So now you take out of your family's budget the cost of higher ticket and parking prices and you get empty seats...too much for you to comprendez?

You got it right Joe. The freak is clueless, but he's part of a huge crowd, unfortunately.

JohnnyVol writes:

I want to go on record as saying that I liked Butch Jones, based on his record, by Wednesday (I also posted that we should hire Brian Kelly four years ago). I think this guy can really coach.

volpreacher writes:

Just listened to the press conference. This will work I believe! Go Vols!

Vol43 writes:

in response to CCLC:

You tell me. Feeling blissful with this hire?

I would find it blissful if you took a long walk off a short pier. Does your dog companions know you hang out on a vol site? Sounds kinda gay to me. I 'm kinda thinking you are.

RoyaltyVol writes:

Just listened to the news conference and I must say "I'm impressed"! Go Vols!

DalTexVol writes:

in response to Vol43:

Why is someone clueless for asking if we can discuss football without bringing in politics? Is that so hard?

RoyaltyVol writes:

I think we've found our Bruce Pearl of football ( without the NCAA problems hopefully). I like coach Jones!

wolftever writes:

jones is impressive...ut finally got a coach...

Razzle writes:

I think he will do a good job.

Vol43 writes:

in response to DalTexVol:

Joe was making a very valid point which will most certainly affect attendance and if you think the economy is not gonna be affected by the current administration, your head must be in the sand. I'll go one better. By August we will probably be in recession. You heard it here first. Think that will have an impact on attendance?

clvolfan writes:

in response to jack4444:

The cost of all these buyouts is absurd. Seriously, aside from Kentucky, is there an SEC program in worse shape?

Get Fulmer as AD.

I don't care if they hired Neyland, the place is a mess.

Give Hart time and a chance to straighten this mess that CPF,CDD and Hamilton started.He's already made some good changes.I was diasppointed myself,but we all need to go forward and in time, believe this guy will get it done.

underthehill writes:

Watched the press conference..Good start for Jones..very impressive handling the questions from media..appears to have plenty of spunk and self confidence..when the hire was announced I had to wonder if this guy really thinks he can compete in the SEC..after hearing him talk..I think he really believes he can..that is far more important than anything any of us believe...

VolAtUGA11 writes:

So by my math, Jones will cost UT $12.25M. How's that? We pay the $1.4M Cincy buyout. Then when he doesn't win a NC by year 3, UT fans will have had enough, pay the firing buyout of $2M, and have owed him $8.95M (3x$2.95M), right?

leboeuf1#253129 writes:

in response to CCLC:

When a program badly needing stability–and willing to match anyone’s financial offer–is already on its fifth choice for HC, it is indeed time to panic, because it appears none of the “stabilizing” coaches will come until there’s stability. A real trap, eh? No wonder Fulmer was actually the front-runner in the latest reader poll at RockyTopTalk (Butch Jones, reportedly the latest target, came in at a booming 4%, which means he’d probably begin with about the same fan-base confidence level as SOD).
Vols football never recovers from this..... end of an era.

Regardless of all of the email hype, Gruden was never a viable candidate....neither was Gundy, Fisher, or Fedora. That was all pie in the sky stuff,,,,,Hart never hinted that any of them were under serious consideration. Strong was a possibility, rec'd an offer, and, for his own reasons elected to stay at Louisville. I think Jones will turn out to be a good hire; however, the proof will be in the puddin'......but, let's give the guy a chance. Negativity by the fans doesn't do much for his recruiting chances with a lot of recruits.

massvolfan writes:

Very impressed with his presser...it's time to leave all the negativity behind, get on board, and support our program! GBO !!

SewaneeVolFan writes:

Very good thing that the so-called fans don't get to choose the UT head coach.

All sorts of highly successful head coaches were not their AD's first choice, and generally for the same reason as in this case. To mix metaphors, the AD was shooting for the moon first and trying to get the home run hire. Doesn't mean that the choice the AD ended up with was a foul ball. This isn't Coach Jones's first appearance at the plate, and he's had what I think is some significant success in his at bats.

Heaving in yet another metaphor thread, we keep on talking about coaching trees, either for or against. We heard so much about the Sabin tree, for example. In this case, we're going to another tree, and who's to say in advance that's not the way to go? (Well, to answer my own question, evidently MANY people are the people to say that in advance. WAY in advance.) But for quite some time Coach Jones coached with the coach of the current no. 1 team which might -- gasp -- even interrupt the SEC run of BCS champions. (I hope they don't, even though that'll mean 'Bamaites will be even more arrogant than they are now.) If the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree, that's a pretty good tree to take from.

So the logic that a fourth choice is not a good choice escapes me. It escapes me almost as much as the logic that Coach Jones is a bad choice because Coach Dooley's UT team beat his Cincy team. By that logic, James Franklin, who is performing miracles at Vandy, is a bad coach, too. We beat Cincy because we had better personnel as I remember it, not because Coach Jones was a worse coach than Coach Dooley.

Finally, I remember being impressed by Cincy's offense when we played them. My memory was that it was innovative. More important, it might contribute to the three amigos staying around for another year (which would be best for them anyway).

C'mon Vols fans, be happy! We got a coach! Now we can go back to being obsessed with assistant coaches and recruiting again!

VolnTex writes:

in response to tnoutlaw2001#228008:

To all TROLLS. You are so fake, and not at all UT fans or football fans.

You are trolls looking to spread ignorance.

Thank you for making sense on a board filled with so much nonsense!

So many people are blabbing on and on about how Hart botched the search. Can someone please tell me exactly how he did so? Is getting turned down a couple of times botching a search? Do any of you who believe Hart messed this up have even a bit of background information that the rest of us are missing so we can fill in the blanks and agree with you?

CCLC writes:

Butch does not seem to be quite the sharpest pencil in the box. He has had a couple glaring clock management issues this year. I personally am happy with Arky, TN, & UK hires. None pose a threat to outcoaching UGA. My jury is still out on Malzahn. Not surprised the orange crowd who knows FB is not happy w/ the Cincy cast-off

rtrchatt writes:

Congrads to Vol nation. You have a good coach and hopefully he can restore some competiion to the Bama/UT series. Roll Tide

BigOrangeFreak writes:

in response to Vol43:

If you think the current "administration" is the reason ticket sales are down, you're just as ignorant as TraderJoe.

Your ilk likes to b1tch and moan about blaming things on others, but if you think attendance is down for any reason other than the poor product on the field, you're more deluded than I thought. Blame the administration in Knoxville if you want, but leave the one in Washington out of this.

In a recession, there are still certain areas of the market that still do quite well; liquor sales, pizza places, and entertainment. (For the past few years in Knoxville, I'm sure the liquor stores have fared better than season ticket sales.)

hereandthere writes:

in response to jack4444:

Get Fulmer as AD.

I don't care if they hired Neyland, the place is a mess.

UK has several programs competing for championships, BB, Women's BB, Women's Volly Ball, Baseball. And, they owe very little money. Football is a work in progress, as usual.

Razzle writes:

in response to CCLC:

Speaking of bad clock management, the end of the Ga-Ala game was a nightmare for Ga. wasn't it?

gobigorange5090 writes:

As I read the comments here, I see we have the same negative nabobs who now wont support our Coach. All they can do is gripe and whine. Ill tell you now, whiners, Coach Jones and UT dont need your negativism. Go root for someone else and vacate the UT boards.

The coaching decision has been made. Now, SHUT UP!

GBO!!

MetroplexMojo writes:

in response to CCLC:

Things you don't have to worry about at the UGA Football Christmas party....

"Spiking" the punch

ronburgundy (Inactive) writes:

in response to usafvol:

Are you just stupid or what? What insight do you have that indicates this guy will fail? Just keep trolling loser..

Ya. redskinvol1 is the most pathetic to ever post on this site. He always types in caps and always says something negative and completely and utterly stupid. with that said, my hopes that this guy is that one in ten or twenty who proves himself to be a future hall of famer in the end. Ya just never know and it's time for the Vols to get lucky and for things to start looking up and all of us start having fun again. Cross the fingers and write the checks and get back on the horse, because this has been a long, hard run for Vol fans and alumnus.

TNVOLNTX writes:

in response to CCLC:

WHAAAAAAAAT????? You're a Dawg fan and you're actually bringing up clock management, after your team just blew it's first shot at a National Championship since 1980 because of POOR CLOCK MANAGEMENT. LMAO! Talk about a TROLL gaffe for the ages. Friend, you win the prize. That's priceless.

CCLC writes:

in response to Razzle:

Well then .... guess I will wager that clock managment vs. your 1-7 SEC record. '
Well then.... what say you? Probably nothing worthwhile.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to Razzle:

Razzle,

Exactly. Surprised that bungled end of the game comment was not referenced instead of worrying so much about the Vols.

CCLC writes:

in response to TNVOLNTX:

This is football commentary from a rep of a 1-7 SEC team? Back to back! Really? I am so taken aback? You are going to school me..... Nevermind. I really don't take you serious until you are in that arena. Been awhile?

Razzle writes:

in response to CCLC:

Well then.... what say you? Probably nothing worthwhile.

I say UGAG choked again.

TNVOLNTX writes:

in response to CCLC:

Weak retort. Surely you can do better. Try again.

eVOLved writes:

The financial aspect really is disgusting. I don't really have a concept of $100,000 a month to coach football. I would rather stick with Dooley than read articles about how much paying two coaches (the fired one and the replacement) for four years. What if it does take four or five years for anyone to dominate the SEC, and we would have seen success more quickly with Dooley? Just saying.

CCLC writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Razzle,

I'm somewhat surprised by that post OrangeCO. Maybe I wasn't suppose to see it. Y'all have had back to back 1-7 seasons. You don't get to second guess Richt with that record. Nope. Just Penis Envy. Went down to the wire. Anyway.... listen up. YOu may learn something. If you don't its on you. http://smartfootball.com/game-managem....

Anyway... vols wont be the VOLS this decade. Game has changed and your administration has pissed their britches.

just sayin'