willphill#241787 writes:

John Adams is a semi-intelligent journalist who belives sarcasam and derision makes him appear to be more intelligent than he is. Unfortunately many journalist have bought into this philosophy. Jones is a much better coach than Adams is a journalist.

ps11824 writes:

Fans, take a look in your mirror. If you see the reflection of a negative person? Look again and be very honest... Do you see someone who has not, and would not be satisfied with anyone's opinion other than that of the man staring back at you? Blame him and everyone like him for making our UT fanbase a selfish, Whining bunch of unpleasantness.

No wonder recruits are apprehensive about being a TN Vol. No wonder Jon Adams writes the truth about you. No wonder coaches turn down millions to avoid the venom you spew constantly.

Welcome Butch Jones to UT and support our Vols. That is what a fanbase can do to change this epidemic of haters. That is what we can do to turn this thing around.

I appreciate the recruits, former Vols and others who have spoken out positively about this guy who seems really anxious to get this team going. He seems to be eager to wear the Orange.

ronburgundy (Inactive) writes:

I really hope Jones does well. It's going to take a while though, so don't set your sites to high yet. What in the world is up with Harts hair? The guy is just kinda creepy to look at. How in the !@#$ did Phil Fulmer not get the AD job?

roanecovol writes:

How much longer will the KNS provide Little John a podium for creating ill will toward UT and it's student athletes. No, they are not all jerks John and they shouldn't be called cowards or punks either.

SignalMtnVol writes:

in response to FanNotSheep:

Blame John all you like, but the press feeds off the fan base more than the other way around. I can't count how many times I've heard, "We deserve better than this." Really? Why?

Do other fans of other programs not donate money for their seats? Do they not spend outrageous prices for bottled water just like we do?

Not every team can win. Every game has one winner and one loser. For 17 years, Fulmer won 75 percent of the time, and other than a magical run when that percentage was 90, most UT fans were not satisfied. They said, "We deserve better."

Well, regardless of what you deserve, this is what you got. Whether you hired the wrong coaches or the wrong people to hire the coaches is up for debate. But I've listened to and watched UT games for 45 years and I've seen good times and bad. At no time did I think I was so special that "I deserved better." I pull for the players in orange no matter what. Because they are the ones who bleed, sweat and put their bodies (and lives really) at risk each time they take the field. They deserve better than the sorry fan base that feels a sense of entitlement for turning on the damn TV.

There are times when I absolutely do not agree with your posts. Not this time. You are spot on. I can't believe the attitude of a lot of folks on here. This is not the majority of UT fans, at least not any that I have known in my 37 years. I have never seen a group of people that say "I deserve better" and "We got what we deserved" more than the group on here.
I wonder if the majority realize how childish they look?

vol49 writes:

in response to FanNotSheep:

+1. Well done, sir!

tovolny writes:

Adams always comes in a little late and a little un-timed. He under mines and blunder grinds at the thought of somebody doing something right at Tennessee. There is really no doubt that Hart is doing the best he knows how...I just would rather have a UT alumnus at the Haslum mouth piece position. And, I would rather have an EX-Vol as the top coach. Adams always shoots for things to support his biased bliss, but most of us can see exactly what he is trying to do.

To me, it is comforting knowing we have always had a person doing a better job at coaching the Vols than what we have in Adams' ill approach at trying to be a sportswriter at KNS. Ask yourself this: if fan discontent could get a coach fired, how long would John Adams last if KNS payed any attention to what we post or what we say.

And, that's the it is, Saturday, December 8, 2012.

BolivrBob writes:

Neyland Stadium remains one of top venues in all of college football, regardless of what Adams or anybody else says. Jones belives he can restore the product to fit the venue. I believe he can. I believe he will. He 's done pretty darn good everywhere he's been with not near the facilities or recorces. He has more to work with than he ever has. He's a winner and will continue to be on the Hill.

volfan1202 writes:

Good article Mr. Adams. Kudos and keep up the good work at KNS.

signalcorps writes:

never think strong would not have came to tn,,Im thinking he looks at every school the same,,,for him same people same system,,tn was in every game last season,,their mental game was not strong enough same as their coach.you have to be a real strong minded man to coach in the sec....coach saban understands he's coaching kids that's one of the reasons he does well....

eVOLved writes:

Worst writer ever! The titles are horrible, and I look at the article a bit, just to see how ridiculous it is. Worst columnist ever!

pcorange writes:

Sometimes I disagree with John Adams' assessments, but he was right on this time. Tennessee is not the same program in the eyes of others as it is in the eyes of us fans. To have left job security and stepped into a major rebuilding effort at a place not known for patience would have been foolish for a top shelf coach. We ended up with a very good coach who wants to be here. I wish everybody would shut up, realize we aren't what we think we are, and back the man. We're lucky to have him.

YORVOL writes:

in response to FanNotSheep:

Well put my fan friend. You are 100% correct.

ronburgundy (Inactive) writes:

in response to eVOLved:

Perhaps you could suggest someone to replace him?

wilk58 writes:

in response to FanNotSheep:

The best damn comment ever made on this site!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to pcorange:

Agreed, but no program is what it was when a coach gets fired. Miami, Florida, FSU, PSU, OSU, UW, UCLA, USC, Bama, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Auburn, Maryland, Pitt, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, LSU, UT and now Texas. Why would we be any different than other programs nationwide? It's not just a Tennessee thing, and UT can be strong again with the right coach. I believe after bad hires in 09&10 UT finally got it right..GBO!!

798orange writes:

Out of all the more relevant questions he could have asked at the press conference, Mr. Adams chose to question the reaction of his former players when he told them he was accepting the job here.

The national press has a more positive reaction to our new coach than fans and media here.

VOLSnTITANS writes:

At the presser yesterday John Adams stated something along the lines that it seemed odd his previous team clapped for him when he announced he accepted the UT job. Then he asked Jones to elaborate on that...

Not only a terrible question but also disrespectful. JA took something Jones was proud to share with us about the relationships he had with his previous players and made it out to seem odd.

How about welcoming the man to Knoxville and showing some support at your first press conference?

volbike writes:

I am always amazed at the knuckleheads that hate John Adams. They must not have lives because they are always the first to comment on every column of his.
Their minds are so closed they can't rationally accept objective discussion of an issue unless it is completely in line with their thinking. They do have freedom of expression but their comments reveal more about themselves than about Adams and they are tiresome to the rest of us.

VOLSnTITANS writes:

in response to 798orange:

Good post...I just realized I posted something very similar below you. I cringed at his question as it was borderline rude. Also, on a side note I have been tough on Dave Hart the last few days as I felt he didn't handle the search process that well but I was actually impressed with him at the press conference. Seems like a smart, reasonable guy.

Orangemax1 writes:

Mr. Adams is nothing but negativity. Those with a pen can say and write anything they want truth or otherwise. There is no doubt that AD Hart looked at many options for replacing DD. The media blows everything so out of the water the truth gets lost. Yes Gruden wasn't interested in UT or anywhere else for that matter. Strong was truthful and loyal. Gundy is an OSU man and he stayed at his alma mater deciding not to take our job or Arkansas. It is not a reflection of UT. We do have a history and tradition that you can't deny or take away! I do know one thing...when job openings come up for editor, writer etc in real newspapers your name will not be mentioned.

underthehill writes:

in response to VOLSnTITANS:

The question gave Jones an opportunity to explain his relationship with his players was so strong that they understood how much it meant to him to be offered the job at UT and tho they did not want to lose him..they were proud of his success..shows character in Jones and the kind of character he instills in his players..a good press conference attendee will often use this tactic to help bring up points that give the person being interviewed the opportunity to make himself look good..Adams was doing Jones a favor and Jones took advantage of the opportunity..sometimes these things are staged..I didn't think this was..If Jones handles his football coaching as well as he handled this interview..UT got lucky..

underthehill writes:

in response to volbike:

I am amused by them ..not amazed..who is making you read what JA writes..and you never display any knowledge of the topics just you don't like what he writes..if you are capable..explain why you don't like it and I ..or others who understand..may be able to help you ..

golfman1975 writes:

I saw John Adams at Disney World...must have a second job...he's Goofy

VOLSnTITANS writes:

in response to underthehill:

sure didnt sound that way.

golfman1975 writes:

Here are jome John Adams pictures...

SavTnVol writes:

all I have to say is the POS/SOB that wrote this article needs to get the H3Ll out of Tennessee..He does not write for the betterment of the fans and school..back the new coach U POS/SOB!

jowemedo writes:

No, I wouldn't compare this hire to Alabama's hiring of Saban, but comparing it to LSU's hiring of Saban wouldn't be that far off.

TommyJack writes:

Seems to me to be a thoughtful piece by Adams.

GerryOP writes:

What did Adams write that is not true? When are you clowns going to realize the magnitude of the mess left behind by Fulmer and Kiffin? As Adams said, right now we are not a top 20 team! But we can be!

Oh, and you clowns who like to trash John Adams? Have a little respect. He gets paid to write his opinions. We don't get paid for our opinions, but we offer them anyway!

GerryOP writes:

in response to SavTnVol:

And you criticize John Adams? Wow! Does you momma know that you talk like that! ETTPT for sure!

swampbuggy writes:

For the past several years I have watched this site and watched fans of UT respond to a myriad of things. At the begining of each year you come out swinging and talking more trash than Waste Management can haul off. I've followed John Adams since I lived in Clinton back in 88. He could say the world is round and some of you would argue that he has no basis for such a ridiculous assumption. He didn't say anything in this article that was controversial to rational people, but it was to some of you. He stated Charlie Strong struggled with his decision and it sounded as if Strong weighed "his" situation and made a choice suitable to him.

Jon Gruden has said on more than a few occassions he does not want to coach college football, but I can't think of the times I have read where some of you insisted that he wanted to coach at UT - how dare Adams for writing the truth.

For the past few years I have posted on this site and even when I didn't argue (which has been most of the time) some have said some pretty nasty things to me. That's okay, I'm a big boy and can handle it but it does warrant pointing out that it gives the appearance of a fish floundering on land.

To those who see negative in everything I say "get over yourself"!

Now here is something that you can really come back and slam me over. Adams said "UT might be a top-20 program based on its tradition, facilities and fan base. But it's not a top-20 program today." He's right. He is right because "someone" at UT has made a hire a few years back that has wreaked havoc and it is going to take some time to recover.

Adams also said that "UT would just like an invitation from any bowl. And if you look two years ahead, it's more likely that Jones will be on the hot seat than his team will be in contention for a BCS bowl." There is a lot of truth in that statement too.

So let's look at what is about to happen. UT opens with Austin Peay Governors which they will win. Then they will beat Western Kentucky and you will be higher than the city of Denver. But then reality sets in and you hit the road to Oregon State and Gainesville. Some grumbling will begin. Then you get South Alabama and all of a sudden you are competing for the national title - except for Georgia, South Carolina and Alabama. Now you are calling Hart an idiot for hiring Jones and demanding once again that John Adams be fired from the KNS. Write it down folks!

Lane Kiffin ruined your program, not John Adams. Dooley brought integrity back to UT and now if you give Jones a chance (which will be more than a few years) he can take you back to "the promised land".

budd#207344 writes:

For all you JA haters out there, I am sure that Evan, The Easter Bunny, Woodbery will have a kiss a@@ article or three on here for you to read. So go there so you can feel all warm and fuzzy. Leave real life to others.

LCPanthers (Inactive) writes:

in response to titletownz:

Do not worry----we all still hate Florida and bone heads like u

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

After watching the 2:30 presser yesterday what I saw was a Coach that will do extremely well in the living room of a recruit, in the locker room of our team and on the field coaching our guys UP! A difference is coming, be patient and stay tune!

RealisticVol writes:

in response to arkyvol:

i'm willing to give jones a decent shot, but what i'm really grateful for is that we didn't end up with gundy. wrong for u.t. in too many ways to count.

+1 Agreed

LCPanthers (Inactive) writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

You may be rite but I would just like to know if any of these coaches were considered and if not why???
1.Bobby Petrino--winner
2.Tom Tuberville---winner
3.Gary Patterson---winner
4.Jim Mora---winner

RealisticVol writes:

I guess The News Sentinel had to settle for Adams after being turned down by all the better sports writers. He sure hasn't had any offers from anyone to go somewhere else. That is why we are stuck with him.

decades_vol (Inactive) writes:

I have recently bashed Adams for being a discredit to his profession. Some of his previous articles bordered on the ridiculous. This time he wrote something with a little better perspective. Maybe he is learning from his previous crash-and-burns.

TheEffect writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Adams is asking the fans to accept the reality that UT is a second tier program and now has a second tier coach. I don't.

The Tennessee fans who seriously think they are a first tier program are in denial. Certainly Jones will be better than Dooley, but it is hard seeing him being more than an 8-win per season coach.

OTPVol writes:

in response to tnoutlaw2001#228008:

Who was 3 and 4?

This is silly, and makes you look uninformed.

Jon Gruden was never interested, NEVER EVER CARED ABOUT UT. Get over it.

Charlie Strong confirmed as did Hart a contract was offered, choice #1.

Gundy denied everything, said he never thought serious about leaving and was just talk. Hart confirmed he was a candidate. choice #2, maybe?

Butch Jones, accepted, probably best option and probably should have been choice #1, ended up possibly at worst #3.

So I say again, who are these others????

Agreed.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to LCPanthers:

1.Bobby Petrino--winner
2.Tom Tuberville---winner
3.Gary Patterson---winner
4.Jim Mora---winner

I think Jim Mora was invested in UCLA after just one season. I heard Tuberville was actually talked to as who he would recommend for UT's coach. Petrino was never considered and Patterson was already earning 4 million a year and UT didn't want to pay Saban type money for anyone other than Gruden.

YORVOL writes:

in response to amyinsparta:

Well put

underthehill writes:

in response to sly_stone99#434111:

I thought he showed a lot of poise and confidence in himself and his system ..and he explained each coach has to have his own system..I agree with that..he seemed to indicate he has a free hand to pick his assistant coaches..I agree with that..I think this was a huge problem for Dooley..the one thing I would disagree with John on in this article is Jones may be on the hot seat in 2 years..I believe most UT fans will be patient if they believe progress is being made.. it is up to Jones to make that progess..

underthehill writes:

in response to budd#207344:

I admire the way you disguise your real feelings..always looking for a laugh ..thanks..

jollofran writes:

John Adams has no intention of ever writing a complete article. He's negative and rarely spends time on the positive. He presents his side of the story, and then a blurb on the other side. I imagine he's never received a Christmas present he liked. I've stopped reading anything he writes... and took a gamble on these few dismal words. Something sad must have happened early on in Mr. Adams life. However... if you're an Orange Hater... Mr. Adams is the second coming.

roanecovol writes:

in response to GerryOP:

How many pen names does little john (little in every sense of the word) have GerryOp. Those of us out here who hate John Adams (and there are thousands) don't get paid by the leading newspaper to consistently belittle, berate, and slander the University of Tennessee and it's student athletes. Do you for one minute believe that he could write in Gainesville, Tuscaloosa, Baton Rouge or any other college town the way he does here and not be tarred and feathered. I think not...

RealisticVol writes:

in response to amyinsparta:

+1, AGREE COMPLETELY!

GerryOP writes:

in response to swampbuggy:

To those who see negative in everything I say "get over yourself"!

Good post! Well said! My sentiments exactly.

I'm curious s'buggy, I never visit other fan sites and I'm curious if other team's fans are as "off-the-wall" as some of our dudes? Some of these people really baffle me! And no, it's not what we have gone through over the past few years that makes them like this. Some of these clowns have been like this forever!

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

in response to underthehill:

Progress is what we waited on for 3 Dooley years and it never happened. There is an aire of confidence about this guy that just says you're about to see some changes at UT, changes in a good to maybe great way. If he shows progress the first 2 years I think Vol fans will begin to see this was a good choice.