pcshowtime writes:

Guys did you see where tommy tubberville was hired by cincy.
He has SEC championship, undefeated season, and beat bama 6 times in row. Wow I love coach jones but if hart did not at least give him a look we are idiots.

Show-me-your-TDs writes:

KEEP PITTMAN!!!

snafu14u#241639 writes:

The reason to not keep Pittman is that the offense scheme and assignments are different. Coach would have a head start by bring in his already trained/familiar with O-line coach. Also it would be interesting if for some odd reason Dooley gets a job in the next three months. Let the fun begin.......Bonzaivol

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

in response to oldster:

Please note that only one of the assistants that are mentioned as possible candidates for coming to UT with Jones is a defensive coach. The rest are offensive coaches. Are these guy better than the "idiots" (which is what one of the previous posters called them) who coached a record setting offense at UT this past year? I find it doubtful and, therefor, unwise to substitute his buddies for the establishd group. He will, but he should remember that loyalty counts for nothing if the results on the field do not follow.

You make no valid points. The staff was a losing one 3 years worth. Keeping Graham is a great choice. I would also take Tee Martin over Hinshaw any day. He said he would interview Tee, so it's a possibility. Anyway, get rid of the old, in with the new, and don't act like this doesn't happen anytime a new coach comes in, its the norm not the exception.

Record setting, lol, and 1-7 in SEC, and no running game, AGAIN! Go look at the stats, UT threw it 40+ game more times than any other SEC school, bomb and a prayer with 3 talented guys, Bray,Hunter, Patterson, and last year throw Rogers in mix, that was it.

tnvol34 writes:

Coach Jones! I would keep Graham and Pittman! Everyone else, needs to be gone!!!

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to oldster:

If Jones dumps the O line coach, Darin Hinshaw and Conklin, he will be making his second, third and fourth mistakes since taking the UT job. The first will be having told us that he was going to have the best staff in the US if he brings so many from his staff at Cincinnati. His O line coach may be great, but making a good O line go through their 3rd position coach in 3 years - especially after finally having the kind of year that their talent suggested they should have been having all along - would be ... unwise. Dumping Hinshaw, the recruiting co-ordinator for the kids UT has been in contact with for up to 3 year would be .. risky. Dumping Conklin would be getting rid of probably the most promising coach on Dooley's staff. No, Butch, if you want success, you really need to reconsider this.

On the other hand, if you are going to change the O-line coach, the best time to do it is when you have a very experienced and talented group of upperclassmen returning. Those guys can handle the change, and the younger guys will have time to learn what the new guy wants them to do.

Personally, I just think that I would keep the offensive staff mostly intact, since the offense was borderline great, and most of them are returning. However, I expect the scheme to be similar enough to what they're used to that they'll make the transition pretty smoothly.

DRORANGELOVE writes:

in response to rb4346:

How about Al Wilson at linebackers coach, anyone agree with that?

Al Wilson as linebackers coach sounds great to me, while we are dreaming lets get Bill Bates to coach the defensive secondary. I truly believe both of them would do a fantastic job of coaching ours boys up. Both of them have a world of NFL experience and I never knew either one of them to ever quit or give up. Both are WINNERS

Don't see anything wrong in keeping Chaney as OC. If you look back at games played you will see that many/ many times in critical times he called the RIGHT play but Bray completely missed the receiver or the receivers dropped passes that were right in their hands

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

For those that think Chaney was good, here are some stats for 2012 that only reflect offense, so you can't play the blame the defense card, well you can be it doesn't count.

UT time of possession ranked next to last in the league.
UT T.O.P = 26:58
Kentucky was last at 25:47

If you take Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Texas AM and combine the times they threw the ball 40+ times a game = 6 games total, Texas AM accounted for 5 of those.

Tennessee, threw the ball 40+ 8 times this season, now think about that and let it settle in for a minute. 5 teams combined attempted 40+ pass plays for a total of 6 games and UT alone did it in 8 games.

donald.evans#212851 writes:

We were one of the bottom two teams last year. Not attached to anyone withn the exception of Graham. Can't believe anyone else wants to keep anyone around that had a role to play in that.

ashvol7 writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Xactly. This must be from the same delusional group that keeps calling for Peyton to come home.

Same group that wanted Fulmer back.

lavette12389 writes:

in response to tdvol1989:

Yeah, I just loved his stupid Wildcat plays...oh and let's not forget his TOTALLY UNEXPECTED gimmick play calls to Pig Howard as soon as we got inside the 25yd line. He was a genius...

Uhhhh, please give me a break. It is REALLY hard not to be more insulting, but he was just not that good. I do not recall anyone developing as an individual on his watch. Nice guy, glad to see him gone.

The ONLY 2 assistants that accomplished anything under Dooley are Graham and Pittman. EVERYONE else just needs to go as soon as possible.

i agree for the most part...he runs a great offense up until he makes a stupid idiotic play call. if he just stuck with what was working on the drives, then i'd miss him otherwise im not worried about what CBJ can do for us on offense its the defense that needs revitalized. And besides Graham and Pittman I thought Hinshaw did a fairly descent job. but im not going to cry over any departures. I'd be happy to see Chief back home if I say so myself and even Dan Brooks. That would be a start in my book. Hunter would be a nice carry over but he needs the payday. CP i bet is gone. Bray is a love/hate thing. Great QB ill miss but never thought much of his character. i see him gone but if he stays that tells me he wants to grow up.

Oenoboy writes:

in response to DRORANGELOVE:

I do not believe Wilson graduated therefore he's not eligible to be a coach.

Show-me-your-TDs writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

As long as we win 9 to 10 games a year.... it very well could be.... as long as there's a championship here and there

kyvol98 writes:

I just let my dog outside and I am 100% sure that he left better coaches in the yard than Ainsley and Conklin.

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to kyvol98:

Funny. LMAO for days at that one!

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

Wow...nearly 4 in the morning, and someone has little better to do than obesess over another team. You need serious professional help.

jimr07 writes:

in response to oldster:

If Butch wants success he should definitely seek your advice.

jimr07 writes:

in response to tovolny:

Al Wilson, one of the main reasons we won the crystal in '98. I have been posting and pleading to bring Al back ever since he retired from the NFL. The guy is smart and he just has GAME. If a player misses a tackle due to one arm tactics and not much effort, Wilson would light them up just like he did when he was the UT Captain.

Also, I wonder if Scott Wells and Chad Clifton would be available to coach up the O line. They have championship rings on several fingers.

We need an actual, sure enough, dedicated KICKING coach plus a dedicated special teams coach. I look at a staff, and if they list a coach as, say, tight ends and special teams coach, I know that they won't be very good at special teams or tight end.

You guys that say bring in Al Wilson are wrong and here's why. He has never coached.. has stated in the past that he does not wish to coach. But.. i guess you want him brought in whether he wants to or not..dumb...

GloryDays writes:

in response to rb4346:

How about Al Wilson at linebackers coach, anyone agree with that?

I like it. He would bring intensity.

laraccoon writes:

why is it so important for the media and some fans to try and shove T. Martin down this coaches throat .let dude hire his staff , if Tee is on it great , if not so be it .

utfan36 writes:

i dont thinck it would go over very well if he let CJG go! he is a true VOL glad he is staying!and CBJ go get T Martin from lame kitten at USC as your QB coach or WR coach !

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to OrangeCrush:

Great decision! Thank you CBJ and thank you CJG. Great start to an outstanding staff.

Geez.............. more acronyms to remember.

Walt

UT '81

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to rb4346:

How about Al Wilson at linebackers coach, anyone agree with that?

I got to meet Al at a function here in Atlanta. But he hasn't been on a coaching roster before has he?

Walt

UT '81

dyoder1122#635275 writes:

in response to rb4346:

How about Al Wilson at linebackers coach, anyone agree with that?

What is his record as a coach anywhere? Nuff said.

david_light_38230#225602 writes:

in response to alfrizzle097:

Disappointed Jim Chaney is leaving. Thought they might also retain Sam Pittman. Seems like continuity in the offensive line philosophy would pair with keeping Graham to really help the run game keep improving.

Agreed, especially on Coach Pittman . . . I thought that the O=Line made great strides this year which in turn helped Jay Graham improve the running game!! At least Coach Graham will stay!!!

GO VOLS!!

salocke#209467 writes:

I would love to see Tee Martin and Dale Jones and/or Al Wilson added to staff. Dale jones has been DL, LB, & DC for a few years at Appy State so he has experience coaching defense. Theses guys are Big Orange football.

volbob writes:

Sunseri must have thought he'd won the lottery when he was hired. Who would pay an inexperienced coach that kind of money? UT!!! The current administration at UT must have started out in Washington, D.C. - just print more money, no problem! Raise ticket prices, too - that'll cover it. Still short? Hit the "rich" - they aren't paying their fair share anyway.

TNORANGEDOGDAD writes:

in response to whiskeyman:

Is it just me or does Dave Hart look like one of the characters on Lord of the Rings. One of the Hobbits maybe?

Looks more like one of Herman Munster's offspring

volhome#407234 writes:

in response to tnoutlaw2001#228008:

No running game? We went from less than 100 YPG to over 160 YPG with one year of Jay showing how it is done. If anything, this year we abandoned the running game a bit too early at times. More coaching and some smoothness in the transition we can get to where the 160+ YPG is a staple again, augmented by a 300+ YPG passing attack. Let's count the successes where they were, and the improvement in the running game was indeed one of them.

VOLFROMNC writes:

1.8 million for the worst defense in the conference and one of the worst in the country. Dang, I could have done it for way less than that.

VOLFROMNC writes:

in response to volbob:

Took the words right out of my mouth.

doctorvol#211700 writes:

hopefully, Jancek will do well. W. Martinez is a good db coach, but he is not a coordinator, and, hopefully that won't be his position with us. Van Gorder does well if he has decent players. Entire defense at auburn was like our dbs. I don't think Jones is hiring him.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to BolivrBob:

I figure Patterson is gone. Has anyone heard anything from Bray or Hunter?

Heard Patterson flunked out of school so he's gone to the show.
There's a guy over on VN that claims Bray told him that's he going to declare, can't blame him. Good luck kid, I'll look for you on Sundays.
Haven't heard anything about Hunter. He could probably use the extra year. Some said he was dogging it to save himself for the NFL, but I don't he was healed up yet.
Of course all this is rumor & opinions.

Give em heII butch!

OldVols68 writes:

Let's see now:

The needs list icludes:
1) Great defense (this is the SEC remember)
2) a decent defense (It cannot be overstated:))
3) a punter
4) a place kicker
5) a defensive back with speed (no make that several)
6) a good smart offensive coordinator

etc., etc., etc, ad infinitum

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to laraccoon:

Good question.

GRRN7MAXIMS writes:

Bring Al Wilson back as LB's coach and let him instill fury, fire, and pain that he and his fellow vols played with while he was here.... Also, I have been talking about Bud Foster from VT for quite awhile now. He continually puts top 25 defenses in Blacksburg year after year. If we could play 97,98,99 vold defense and add Beimer ball to special teams, look out fellas.. Id like to hear some feedback about possible DC hires...

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to jimr07:

Can you say that a little LOUDER so some of these whatever they are can get it in their thick heads.

Give em heII Butch!

Ironcity writes:

in response to oldster:

I'll bet you that next year's offense will not be as good as the past one if Jones does not keep Pittman and Hinshaw along with Graham.

I'll bet next years defense will be better then last years defense. Additionally I'll bet that next years offense will suffer trying to replacing Bray, Patterson, Hunter and Rivera. Like you I have not made any statement that a two year old couldn't figure out.

Each coach should bring in guys he is comfortable with. I am glad he is dumping all but one coach. It shows he has control instead of the AD. I want my coach to have the opportunity to do what he thinks will get the job done.

As much as I think Dooley was a bum, it was clear he had limited control as to who his staff would be and it showed with lack of continuity on the field.

PUL4VOLS writes:

I wish he could keep Hinshaw but it is what it is. Tee M. would be great addition but is likely a longshot. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. I just hope it is settled soon and we get on the recruiting trail.

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to txvolsfan:

Patterson would be a beast in CBJ's fast past offense!!!
GO VOLS
TXVOLSFAN
VFL

He would but he won't. HE GONE

govolsn3 writes:

Al Wilson, Dale Jones, Bill Bates, just to name a few and there is many more former players that may come in and teach what the T means on the side of the helment. Fuad Rev. and Tim Duncan still in the area for much needed kicking game help. If there is one thing we lost in FULMER it was the ORANGE blood that flowed in the veins.

eduardo writes:

UT takes cheap way out once again!! Bet it doesnt keep tuition from going up!

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to orange_eVOLution:

Yep. I can understand that he has a lot of faith in what some of his coaches have produced over their tenure. But claiming we will have the best staff not just in the SEC, but "the nation", does not mean bring everyone from Cincinnati with you except for one coach. I hope he shops around for at least three other guys and Tee Martin is one of them. We'll see.

I agree..To have the best staff in the nation he would have to gut his staff and go after guys like Chad Morris and Kirby Smart and John Chavis and that ain't gonna happen!!Kind of a stupid boast on Jones part..It was pretty clear he was gonna bring his long tenured guys with him..I believe some of them have decent recruiting ties to Fla and GA. At cinncy his DC has never played against the likes of Manziel:Gurley and Bama's endless list of 5 star RB's. We will lose our top WR recruit when Hinshaw goes but that comes with the territory

kyvol98 writes:

in response to govolsn3:

Is Tim related to Alan?
Cuonzo could use Tim.......

Vol43 writes:

I just hope that Coach Jones and co. hit the recruiting trail with great enthusiasm and purpose. It would be especially nice to lock down the state. From what I've heard, Dooley didn't even attempt to do this and, as a result, we missed out on good talent. That was a huge mistake. I like the fire Coach Jones has. So, Coach Jones, lock down Tennessee!

therightstuff writes:

in response to oldster:

It is his staff. Great to keep Jay Graham. As far as the recruits go....so many have been saying Dooley wasn't getting the 4 and 5 stars to compete with the best, so why keep the recruiting coordinator? Graham may be able to bring in the top RB recruit from the current crop.... but I am sure Coach Jones is going to go after some D-linemen and some corners with smarts and speed. Keep in mind that some of these current assistants may not want to be here under Coach Jones.

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to TheStupidPolice:

I understand Tee Martin is a former Vol and probably feels a lot of loyalty toward the program, but I don't see why he'd leave LA coaching Marquis Lee to come to a staff he has no familiarity with to coach Pig Howard. If Jones can make that sale, I'll be extremely impressed and optimistic.

A coach doesn't make a career decision on one player (especially like Lee who will be there one more year tops). If he gets the chance Tee better take it!

therightstuff writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

What has Tee Martin done that makes him a great "get?" Was at Kentucky where they went from okay to bad. Is at SouCal where they went from contenders to mediocre.

Very good point, indeed. Some just see the name and assume great. Ask Alabama and the great Shula.

R1O9C5K8Y writes:

in response to jimr07:

If one is going to suggest coaches at least be realistic in suggesting those who have an interest in coaching. Usually because they have applied for coaching jobs or have them. Al Wilson is a great former player, but if he was interested in coaching I'm sure he would be doing so. I would rather suggest Dale Jones over him because he actually has coaching and recruiting experience.

therightstuff writes:

in response to oldster:

It would be difficult for this years staff to repeat what they did......of course that won't matter to you anyhow. Patterson won't be back and he wasn't in class anyhow. I doubt Hunter or Bray will be back either.....I have a feeling that Bray and his antics would get his butt on the bench. The offense will not be the same regardless with the "big 3" and Rivera gone.