gillblog writes:

in response to NeedForSpeed:

Nothing 'wrong' with article except that he tried to build up Wilcox too much to prove a point about coaching for my taste. One of the worst losses in UT history was the goal line moronic brain cramp meltdown we had on defense which allowed LSU to get an extra down and win on the last play of the game. Remember? Who gives a rat what your quote defensive ranking is when u choke under the most intense pressure and embarrass the Vol Nation like that. That game stands out in my mind when I was convinced Dooley was not head coach material for UT. Yes, Adam's dig is absolutely fair. But Wilcox is no better than sunseri as far as I'm concerned with the 11 men on the field observation. A totally legit comment. If the shoe fits, wear it. And lately, UT fits a lot a negative stereotypes.

But I'm a happy camper now. This coach is the type of fit we should have had after Fulmer in the first place. I predict we r a serious SEC contender in 3 years and I also predict there will be idiots on here dumb enough not to be happy with that either but that's the Vol Nation for ya.

Oddly enough, one of the knocks on Jones (noted several times in the article on this site a couple of days ago;"Media" reaction to Jones hiring) is that he was inept at clock management at UC. We'll find out for sure pretty soon, but I think it's dangerous to be starry-eyed about this coach even though he is obviously an enormous improvement for UT.

volpreacher writes:

in response to DeltaCharlie3:

You hired the entire Cincinnati Bearcats staff.

<<insert chirping cricket noise here>>

The Tennessee Bearcats!

The same chirping crickets that will be heard in Gainesville next year when the Vols take down the Gators. I can't wait. Go Vols!

jack4444 writes:

in response to ANYONE_BUT_LIBS:

Johnny Heisman was a 3star.

OrangePsyched writes:

in response to volthrunthru#658770:

Sorry dude but you lost your credibility when you called LA racially neutral. I won't waste everyone's time to list the many riots they've had in LA and all the neighborhoods I wouldn't personally drive around for fear of my demise. Just keep that chip on your shoulder though.

VOL1972 writes:

This is clearly a day when there was little news to write about and John had to write something.

Of course, Jones is going to evaluate his personnel and run his offense and defense accordingly. If he doesn't have the personnel to run the offense (or defense) the way he prefers, he will recruit those players and gradually work them into his system.

UT is paying this guy over $3mil a year. I assume it's because they think he knows what he is doing.

Orangeteers writes:

in response to jimr07:

Somebody remind me where John Adams played and then later coached...

Have you ever been paid as a sportswriter?

If not, then by your own logic, you can't criticize Adams.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to Geofffourmyle:

Recall from earlier this year right before the UF game that Adams had an article that said that Dooley might go from hot seat to hot commodity.

Base your judgment of his prognostication expertise on that.

Walt

UT '81

Uh, excuse us Sgt York, aka Walt the know it all-griper, aka as Leland, from the Sports Animal.

Explain to everyone how you answered Jim.
How was your familiar Dooley comment in any way relevant to Jim referencing Adams' being a 'former player and later a coach?'

Can't let it go though, can you? It's almost Christmas so you and your grouchiness should be in style.

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Explain to everyone how you answered Jim.

If that is your biggest gripe on me, I am doing pretty well.

My comment was germane to the previous poster and what he said in that along with Adams never playing or coaching, he's a crappy prognosticator too.

Walt

UT '81

Razzle writes:

in response to jack4444:

Johnny Heisman was a 3star.

Yea you beat me to it. Manziel was a 3 star.

cincykid82 writes:

People, being from Cincy, I need to translate Coach Jones for you as a public service.

“This program has great tradition”
They just print money down here, don’t they? Dooley didn’t even need a mask and gun.

“I want to be here…”
My wife and I were planning on buying a vacation home in the Smokies anyway. Now working in Knoxville and this big payday just makes it easier.

“My system is infallible…”
My gambling system is infallible – the wife and I are heading to Harrah’s in Cherokee, NC, right after this press conference.

“Assembling the best staff in America…”
The coaches’ wives are the best spending staff in America – they’re already arranging shopping trips to Nashville and Atlanta.

“I’m a winner…”
Actually, my agent is the winner – the way my contract is structured, I can win ZERO games and still get paid.

“What’s the deal with that orange dog…?”
(No translation available)

123forVOLS writes:

in response to underthehill:

My guess is ..when the negatives are facts..there will always be those who think you oughta keep it secret..that way momma won't know..keep writing facts John..but remember..nothing you write and nothing anyone says on here has anything to do with what happens on the field..that is up to the players and coach..thank goodness for that...

My guess is there is no one negating any facts pal or palette, which ever you may be. No one is keeping anything secret. I have no idea what you mean by the "momma won't know..." The point is John is continuing on with drivel about the past. We all know it, no big secret(do you see that momma?). It's kinda time to move on. Negative facts about the past are past, over done with. Obviously you like the J. Adams approach. GREAT, send him a Christmas Card, take him to Calhoun's on the River for crying out loud. Some of us believe it is time to try and look forward and hope that the players and coaches will do likewise. That's all, I guess.

15_counting writes:

in response to volpreacher:

I am sure UT took a huge step forward with this coaching change. However thinking they will be beating Florida next season (and I'm not a Florida fan) is setting yourself up for major disappointment.That's the kind of expectations that will have VOL fans calling for a coaching change in two years. Being positive and excited is great. Just be realistic as well. Give the man some time! It's not going to happen overnight!

albert63 writes:

in response to 15_counting:

Gators 11-1 second year under Muschamp, #1 recruiting class coming in.

exlineman writes:

in response to 45ReVOLver:

Brett you are still such a kid on here running your mouth as usual. Some kids aren't like you, many of them know alittle about previous stars of the game. No idot kids that know football do know Randy Moss and Willie Gault. After all Willie did represent our team, but also our country as an olympian.

You are so stupid, no, I am not a past lineman on electrical work, but was a past heck of a defensive lineman in football. Get a life idot and stay down on Broadway and serve your drinks and run your little bookie business on the side mr bartender. You are nothing but a useless troll against Tn. G0 pedal your mouth over at Peabody.

exlineman writes:

Brett, also you might want to make a resolution to cut down on the number of troll names you use on this site, (can't stand saban) (glen fobiles) 45 revolver and other stupid names. Roberts bar and grill must be your brother down on broadway in Nashville. Is Melissa still your little girl friend that works in the bar with you. You need to go see coach Franklin over at peabody, maybe he might could give you a job washing jocks.

underthehill writes:

in response to 123forVOLS:

If by ..some of us..you mean those who ignore facts if it hurts their little feelings..then I can see why you would object to what Adams writes..odd to me that you don't point out anything he says that is not true..if ..some of us..as you call them are not adult enough to address facts.. negative or positive.. then why do you bother reading what Adams writes..I don't speak for ..some of us..I speak for myself..I object to anyone writing anything that can be proven to be false..if it's true..so be it..if you read the post I was responding to ..it was about some nonsense I myself didn't understand..but what I do understand is the nonsense of nuts thinking Adams needs their approval of what he writes..

exlineman writes:

Espn reporting that Tee Martin turned UT down, claims he made a comittment to his players.

RollTideJoe writes:

in response to jack4444:

Johnny Heisman was a 3star.

So was Mark Ingram. Look back at the "experts" picks for who would do what this year. Of course, they had So Cal #1. Now look where they are. They had Arkansas #5, look where they finished. Look where they had Texas A&M, where they finished. Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Auburn, the list goes on and on. They don't know squat, frankly. Too many factors, unexpected heroes, injuries, etc. The recruiting stars are merely one indicator. I know most teams look at factors such as character, ability to learn, background, desire, ability to workout in the weight room, ability to pass grades, etc. None of which the experts predictions consider.

Ironcity writes:

in response to VolGrad:

No it isn't. How many times did that happen? You'd think it happened in every game with that kind of barb. And the one we most remember... was when Wilcox was DC. Which year was that... against LSU, I think.

I wonder if there were any teams in the past 3 years that never had too many men on the field at some point. It happened in a critical situation against LSU, and we'll all remember that one. That is all.

His statement suggests it happened all the time. There is nothing fair about that. He was being a _____ by saying that.

We averaged two time outs a game this year for to many men or not enough men on the field. It was a big problem. You probably didn't notice because it was masked by other problems that seemed a lot bigger like 80 yard touchdown runs against us every game.

golfman1975 writes:

Brilliant! Mr Adams, do you also know the numbr for 911? I can never remember.

golfman1975 writes:

in response to AirForceVol2786:

You guys trash Adams but having 11 men on the field would be nice. It is a fair point.

When did Adams learn how to count to 11?

Jeffmcflurry27 writes:

in response to ANYONE_BUT_LIBS:

You really have no clue what you are talking about do you? 3 stars always lose to 5 stars, do they? See Boise State. That's 1 example. Also, D2 Players aren't even rated with 1 star. You sir, are the poster child of ignorance.

VolGrad writes:

in response to Ironcity:

I'm not going to verify that number since I realize we were learning a new defensive scheme. It's conceivable. So I'll just give you that one. And I'm certainly hoping the return to a 4-3 resolves that.

But when a person has a history of taking verbal jabs at every opportunity, his real intent seems set in concrete.

JA made some valid and insightful points about the new coaching staff going forward. He could have just left it at that. O well.

Go Vols!

tovolny writes:

in response to TheRealDragonSlayer:

I dont have a problem with straight criticism, and I have seen John Adams make some very good points even if it is against our team. But I HATE the sarcastic digs that he takes. Like saying that fielding 11 men on the field would be a "nice twist."

That is the mark of someone whose real intentions slip out once in a while. Adams is trying to act like he is writing unbiased articles, but hidden among the facts are signs that he is clearly biased against UT.

Another "AMEN"...he has always felt like he is getting away with something. He just puts lots of emphasis on trying to be cute for his target audiences of anti-Vols and Dennis Miller fan types. These people being the pseudo intellectuals from the "Society of the Miss-informed." That said, he is still not as bad as Gomer at the Tennessean or Weedeater from Chattanooga.

He should be limited to the KNS Sport page. I suppose he has the right to say whatever he pleases. However, he heads up govolsxtra. The “go” seems to imply this site is a site for the true Vol fans. But, we all know that isn't true. Lots of posters on this site are anti-Vols and lots of posters have “lynch mob” mentalities.

volthrunthru#658770 writes:

in response to OrangePsyched:

Maybe you don't get it; maybe you don't want to. Obviously you are not a Southern Californian.

Parts of L.A. (SoCen, Watts, some of Anaheim, etc.) with racial tension are not big areas. In Knoxville, they would seem large.

Los Angeles metro is over 10 times the size of Knoxville--- TEN TIMES THE SIZE.

Martin makes more than $400,000 per year plus bonuses, cars, expenses & other benefits at private USC, that public universities cannot pay.

Tee Martin Drive was only named after him after ill feelings. Black leaders suggested racism in NOT naming one after him, following the 1998 championship. Peyton already had a street.

Dooley ignored him, when he wanted to come back to UT---ignored one of the best young recruiters in College Football---despite almost a lily-white coaching staff & only marginally good recruiting.

Martin would have had to start over, for far less money, in an area with a fraction the opportunities, where many people think he did not get equal opportunity in some respects. ( name the street, turned down as a coach, etc.)

Martin's wife is a singer, who can find more work & exposure in a month in L.A. than a decade in Knoxville.

He is building a motivational speaker business as a 2nd career. Exposure, contacts in L.A. & other benefits are at least 100 times better than Knoxville.

U.S.C. will always be a national brand; in seven years Hamilton, Hart, Dooley & Kiffen destroyed what Dickey, Majors & Fulmer took 25 years to build, here.

Martin & his family can live years & never hear much about race, at his standard of living, in L.A. But in Knoxville/East Tennessee, that is simply not so. & everybody---especially blacks---are aware of it.

So in Los Angeles, Martin has far more opportunities & so do the members of his family. & race will almost not be much hurdle.

You & some others posting about him have no clue about what it is like to be a minority. Most of you do not know what is at play with two sets of children, either.

Some comments, frankly, are red-necked, ignorant & offensive to minorities like Jews, Blacks, Hispanics, & others who did not grow up on some mountainside near Knoxville---offensive enough that if his children read this newspaper or other online Vols' chatboards,

red-necked comments---or ignorant ones like yours---will prove to them Martin made the right decision in not coming back.
He has an older child here is from a previous relationship. Obviously he is not as involved as if the relationship had worked out differently. There have even been horrid comments about that.
I’ve been called a “Hitler lover” in this thread. Just so you and others will shut up: My family is minority, from California...& a mix of Jewish & Hispanic, Black & Native American.

Please be quiet; your ignorance is showing. The kind of comments from some of the ignorant on these sites help to underscore that Martin would be taking a step backward to return.

eVOLved writes:

in response to TheRealDragonSlayer:

No, he's just a fa66ot. There's a great deal of smart folks in Knoxville, Tennessee, and the USA, but JA thinks he is smarter than a lot more than he really is. The whole bit is lame.

hueypilot writes:

in response to TheRealDragonSlayer:

I heard someone say that for something to be humorous there must be some element of truth to it. I think that applies here. I thought it was pretty funny given how inept our defense was last year.

hueypilot writes:

in response to volthrunthru#658770:

Los Angeles metro is over 10 times the size of Knoxville--- TEN TIMES THE SIZE.

Visited So Cal about 15 years ago. One of the biggest disappointments of my life. Some nice areas but largely an armpit. Beaches.....there were needles in the gutters of the streets right beside the beaches. Bars on windows everywhere and parking lot tire traps on every parking garage, right outside yacht clubs at Marina del Rey. The area had been under a drought so unless something was irrigated, it looked brown, dusty and barren. Too much traffic, too many people, dirty, crowded, not a nice place. Thanks but no thanks. I've seen lots nicer homes in Brentwood, TN than in Beverley Hills. I don't get it. Hope Tee is happy there. I wouldn't be.

John_10065 writes:

in response to jimr07:

Somebody remind me where John Adams played and then later coached...

Exactly!

I am sure he could take a coaching job at UT for a fraction of what it normally pays and it would exceed his current salary by a decent amount.

Put your hat in the ring John! You write like you know everything so get in there and lead UT to the promised land!

John_10065 writes:

in response to Orangeteers:

Have you ever been paid as a sportswriter?

If not, then by your own logic, you can't criticize Adams.

Oh I think the point is that Adams is a sports writer who couldn't coach a gold fish to find fish flakes in a fish bowl the size of a softball.

Adams is a negative nelly who bathes in the misery of the team he likes to say he covers and supports. Even when is his being "supportive" his articles drip of sarcasm.

The only thing scarier than a typical Adams article and its spewing of obvious facts mixed with negative conotations and denotations is when he actually sounds genuinely interested in being supportive and expects UT to win the next game. It's the Hill's version of the Corso curse except Adams is near 100% on losing the past few years.

I am sure Adams thinks himself to be one of the torch carriers for the Vols and his commentary brings valuable insight into UT sports. But frankly I think he annoys and irritates far more than he entertains and provides useful insight. I for one would like to see a poll on that for a change instead of some of the knee jerk BS polls we see most of the time!

volpreacher writes:

in response to 15_counting:

Well considering UT outplayed Florida for almost 3 quarters last year before giving up couple of bone headed defensive mistakes then laying down, yea I think they can. Especially since Florida struggled with 3 weaklings this year. Also you lost credibility when you use 14 counting when in reality Alabama claims 6 of those on their own. So its a good figure at 8 but not 14 no matter how you spin it. Go Vols! Go Notre Dame!

golfman1975 writes:

in response to ANYONE_BUT_LIBS:

Boise St beats OU and Stoops...T A&M beats Bama...USC preseason top 5 and finishes 7-5. How many examples do you need? Football may be in your mind about stars...but it is in the end about what you do with all the stars. I saw someone post about Dane Bradshaw...great example of a no star becoming a great player because he had the ability to out think and work the more talented ones. There are 2 Sensabaughs playing in the NFl right now that were from the same high school...not recruited by UT and were at best 3 stars...there are more Sensabaughs out there...2 more in fact...1 running back that ran for 4000 yards in high school...175 in his first game as a freshman and didnt even start the game. The interesting thing is I played golf with his uncle and he told me he prefered defense because he loved to hit people. On a local station he received the hit of the night which goes to defensive players but on that nights report he won it on offense because he put his head down and ran over the defender who staggered to the sidelines...I saw the game in person. Keep your stars...I look for desire to excel through hard work and living right.

Lizardgrad89 writes:

in response to volpreacher:

Doesn't seem to matter how much better UF is than UT, Vols always think they are going to win. I admire your loyalty, if not your grip on reality.

Reality is that Florida may well win 8 more SEC games next year than UT.

in response to golfman1975:

Actually, I think Bradshaw was at least a 4-star as a PG coming out of HS. By the time he got to UT, he had developed a chronic shoulder problem that killed his outside shot, so he fell to the bottom of the depth chart. It was a tribute to his competitive nature and Pearl's intuition that he made his comeback as an undersized power forward. However, I do agree with your main point that recruiting-service star ratings have only a tenuous predictive relationship to a player's subsequent playing career.

swampbuggy writes:

in response to volpreacher:

I'm trying to make sense out of what chirping crickets have to do with winning in the Swamp. Regardless, it would seem to me like you should concerned with the first three games of next season (one of which is AT Oregon) before you focus on the Gators.

This is one Gator who wants UT to become relevant again. But maybe one game at a time should be considered.

swampbuggy writes:

in response to jimr07:

Somebody remind me where John Adams played and then later coached...

John Adams is not being paid to play, or to coach. He's paid to provide commentary and opinion and it's my observation that you are fine with that unless he prints the obvious.

cjj14u writes:

Bray, Patterson & Hunter are sure to jump to the Pro's. Most early mock drafts have the receivers going in Round 1 and Bray in round 2.
James is probably gone as well.
Does anyone really think that a stellar group of true freshman are going to come in, start & improve on this past years record? ROFL......
Kentucky will kick UTKs $#@ in Lexington next year to make the Vol's totally winless in the SEC and everyone here will be calling for Jones head......
Saddest Div 1 team & fanbase in the country......