RockVegas writes:

I wish Tee would have come to knoxville but hey,sometimes a man has to do what a man has to do.I really think his wife had alot to do with it,then again he may not be willing to move right now.People don't understand like it or not USC looks damn good on a resume,plus Tee been wanting U.T to offer him a job for The longest. It was just The wrong time,like now it's The wrong time for Tee that's all.Even Coach Jones said you make moves around your family these days,I still respect and love Tee Martin,I wish he would be on The staff but I'm not mad one bit at The young man..GBO

oldorange writes:

I wish he would have taken it, but understand why he did not

BigOrangeSlim writes:

The way I see it maybe Coach Jones' system is not what Tee wants to learn to further his career. CBJ uses the spread and maybe Tee wants to run a pro type offense as a coordinator. At any rate no reason to hate him. He made a decision based on what is best for him and his family not live his life for the University! I still respect Tee and wish him the best. Now CBJ should hire D Hinshaw and let him get back on the road bringing great players to the program!

EastTnVols962 writes:

Quote from the ESPN article, "He flew to Knoxville on Monday to meet with Jones, but decided he wouldn't pull a "Lane Kiffin" and bolt after one year."

Really? News flash Tee, you're a WR coach. And it appears you acknowledge what an arse Kiffin was to leave your alma mater the way he did, yet you choose to work for the man? Very disappointed to hear that. I hope all is well out there in Cali for ya. When you get canned along with Kiffin next year enjoy the D-III school you'll hopefully be shipped out to. I guess Vol for life isn't taken as seriously by some. But as with the head coach, I would rather have someone here who truly wants to be here. It's unfortunate that a former Vol does not.

P.S. you'll get no "good luck" from me, instead...Good Riddance.

TheStupidPolice writes:

Can't understand how money would have been an issue if Tennessee came anywhere close to what he makes at SC. Without a major deal on the fiscal cliff, California's top earners are projected to pay a marginal tax rate of 52%.

ACWLY writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

You must be from out west and if you are I understand your feelings but I'm from Tennessee and obviously my feelings mean nothing to you. So why not go on the USC site and post your victory song and dance... Sorry to trash your state but I wouldn't trade ONE Tennessee tree leaf for the entire state of California.

GoVols_16 writes:

Based upon the comments some have made on this article, it is obvious that you have absolutely no class. I don't blame Tee for not coming back right now. He did what was best for him at the time. Maybe he wants to wait & see how the Vols perform under this new staff. He may come back in future years.

Tennessee has been down. It's not like he turned down Fulmer. He turned down a guy that he probably knows little about (much like those who have trashed Tee here). You know NOTHING about Tee Martin. You don't know what is best for him or his family. You SELFISHLY know what is best for YOU (having Martin at UT).

His wife is trying to break in to the music business. Could it AT LEAST be possible that he is also taking his FAMILY into consideration, too?

Shame on him.

You people need to get a life.

oldvoltimer62 writes:

in response to JimmyJoe:

I guess we can rename Tee Martin Drive to Tee Martin Passed. Or move it to one of the streets that turns its back on he University.... Like maybe he one that runs by the sewer plant.

How about Tee Martin Turn Lane.

wallingdad writes:

time to move on. Go Vols. it really is a time of optimism and hope. I think Coach Jones will get the right personnel. Tee would have been a good hire on face value but you really never know

NeylandWest writes:

in response to VolCard:

Seriously? Done with Tee Martin? Because he made a decision he believes is in the best interests of his family that doesn't line up with your football allegiance?

He didn't take a job with the Vols and back out. He didn't come here to work and leave. He didn't say one thing and do another. Apparently he just felt like this wasn't the right place for him right now.

As much as I wish the decision were different, there's nothing wrong with that, and it doesn't undo his legacy as a Vol.

On the one hand, I feel you have a point. On the other, I feel that Tee's legacy as a Vol has been affected by this. In the court of public opinion, many will feel jaded over this. They view his decision from their perspective and not his.

Essentially, he told Vol Nation - "It's not you, it's me." And no one ever likes to hear that. It is what it is and life goes on.

wagee12 writes:

in response to HuntsvilleVol:

Nothing personal. He made a commitment and its admirable of him to honor it, unlike his boss.

Nothing personal, but I wonder how those two kids that he fathered in Knoxville and who were hoping that their Dad would now be here with them, how ya reckon they feel about right now? A commitment to those kids would have shown much more character than an excuse about commitment to guys he's only been around for one year.

LifetimeVolFan writes:

in response to JimmyJoe:

Terrible decision on Tee's part. When the University that named a street after you calls you home in her time of need you answer the call. When your boy there at SC gets canned in the next year or so... Which really could have been this year... Or when he decides to replace you with an SC alum who has a bigger name than you...well we will all feel sorry for you...but we will not have a place for you here....enjoy your life out there big boy.

100% agree. This will prove to be best for UT along with not hiring Strong. Both simply used UT to get something better where they were at. Tee Martin is a nobody in the grand scheme of assistant coaches across the nation. He's landed a couple of top players at USC--who hasn't in the past decade? What did he do at UK that was just so outstanding? Nothing. Press on and get someone who truly wants to be a Volunteer. Makes me appreciate Jay Graham even more!

sstarnes#216340 writes:

@ GoVols_16-------maybe you should go to Cali with'em...which are you a fruit or a nutt ??

Scoon writes:

in response to lemme_axya_this:

Does this mean he wasn't committed to the players he recruited to Ky? It didn't seem to bother him to leave those guys. Yeah, I know it was Ky, but a commitment is a commitment. Maybe his contract was about up.

Excellent point there, lemme. Sounds like just an excuse to me and you vols know it!! Geez. I mean that's like comparing this batch of apples to that batch of apples and then saying, yeah, but this batch deserved it when this batch didn't. You're right. A commitment is a commitment no matter how you slice it and I very clearly remember him when he came to UK, he stated then that he would be staying there, that he was committed. Yes, he did. I remember and how he said he appreciated the opportunity. No, his contract was not for one year...good grief.

Scoon writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Tee Benedict Arnold Martin!!

ColdNose, get ahold of yourself !!

Flyfisherman writes:

Main problem is that when we could have hired him away from UK, we didn't. As much as we hate to admit it, Kiffin did, IMO, just to pour salt in the wound. Whichever, he's USC now. I'll remember what he did, but he won't ever be coming back. Good Luck, Tee. Now move along, CBJ and find someone better to build that fast paced offense we are looking forward to.

ACWLY writes:

in response to wagee12:

Excellent point WAGEE12, actually the BEST post of ALL.

SeaBassHauling writes:

Sounds just like Tee's personality...He is to nice of a guy and the wife makes all the decisions in the family...I have a younger brother with his same demeanor...I don't think he came all this way just to see the campus again...! I think he was trying to convince the wife on the visit...! I don't think he would come here for any other reason than that...! Think about it and in the fragile position this program is in right now. Tee had to know this before he came Here that we didn't need anymore bad publicity...! They couldve meet in Denver or somewhere in the middle...!

sdbgovols writes:

So he is committed to coaching these players that he has known for the past year and not raising his son that currently resides in East TN. Truth be known... He has probably spent more time with the players over the last year than he has with his son over his entire life. Bad decision Tee. Bad decision.

Twinkie50 writes:

Kiffin can't even win the Pac-12! Tee Martin won the championship because of Al Wilson and that defense (Goodrich, Grant, etc.) Shawn Brycen, Travis Henry, Peerless Price...these were all great players! I have no problem telling Tee Martin to get bent over this thing. Lane Kiffin is TRASH, and in my opinion, so is Tee Martin! Way to win a championship with Peyton Manning's leftovers...GAME MANAGER!

Couchdummy writes:

in response to volsmith:

Looks like a job for Trooper Taylor to me.

No, Taylor fits in better with Petrino at WK.

pcorange writes:

in response to ACWLY:

My sentiments exactly. +1.

MR_VOL writes:

Great. I do not begrudge or have any ill feelings towards him.

ALL Vol fans now know where Tee Martin stands and if he feels USC is the best place for him, so be it. I, for one, would much rather have a coach that wants to be at the University of Tennessee than a coach who is merely here to collect a check.

tenndave writes:

Tee is not convinced yet that coming to TN will help his coaching career. It could kill it, so his entire future as a coach is affected which means his family. If he comes and Butch falls on his face, so does TEE. Or he can stay at traitor Kiffs house and coach a top 10 team and build his resume. I love Tee as a Vol but he made the right decision for his career.

VolinCalif writes:

in response to jplemons80:

I hope now we can close the book on Martin, forget him for good and move on. How about we find a receivers coach that was actually a receiver?

That sounds like a logical thing to do. So it must be wrong.

pcorange writes:

in response to tenndave:

USC is not a top 10 team with Kiffin coaching it. They finished up the regular season with 5 losses after being the preseason #1. Looks to me as if Kiffen has already fallen on is face.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

in response to volinlm:

That's a little harsh. He's been to three schools and, apparently, UT hasn't offered him a job 'til now. I wish him the best. He has a family and has to think about what's best for him and them, not you and other UT fans.

If I remember correctly he has turned us down twice and possibly 3 times now. I think he turned down Kiffin while at Kentucky or to go to Kentucky, He turned down Dooley last year to follow Kiffin, and now he has turned down B. Jones. Although I would like to have him here, I'm with everyone else, hope he has no hard feelings when he's out of a job and no one calls him for a fourth time.

florida-volfan writes:

in response to JimmyJoe:

Now thats funny....never understood why they name the streets after former players anyway. And after players that are still very young, they should be named after the great players who have played at UT and have long since passed on. Those players are easily forgotten, good way to remember them. As for Tee, he made the trip back to UT to hear their offer, and decided it was not in his best interest. Thats fine, he was a great player here, and will always be remembered

voodoo101 writes:

in response to MOUNTAINofOKEMO:

Uh yeah, if and when the traffic moves so you could get out of LA to do those things. Last time I drove PCH on a weekend it was bumper to bumper - not much sight seeing for the driver - although there certainly are sights to see - many without legs, too. Because of traffic and congestion, I'd live almost anyplace besides southern CA. East TN is just fine to me.

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

in response to tenndave:

Then why are you here instead of over on USC board blowing Kiffin?

Hound_Dog69 writes:

I don't understand all the hate for him just because he doesn't want to drop everything, pull his kids out of their school leave all his freinds and move across the the country to take another job where half the people on here criticize the hiring of the new HC, when he and his family obviously like it where they are. Not to mention the ungrateful fan base that calls for coach's and their assistant coach's to be fired if they don't achieve instant success and running down the players the way many people who post on here do. I am grateful for the NC that T martin helped bring to UT, but he does not owe UT or the fans here anything more than what he's already done for the program.

mountainbrook writes:

Time to move on. No one should fault him for sticking to a committment.

SignalMtnVol writes:

in response to CantStandCantStandSaban:

To coach WRs?

Well, our receivers do need to play more physical.... ;)

SeaBassHauling writes:

in response to tenndave:

No....he could come here and help turn program around....! Where have you been? Did you not know there was speculation that kittin may lose his job this yr.? So where's the business decision? It's his wife making all of them...! Tee's a easy going guy and I think she makes the decisions on the family...! And her singing career....!

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

in response to Hound_Dog69:

I think fans are upset that he has used his alma mater twice to get a free trip home and to possibly get a pay raise.

He came in last year and interviewed with Dooley, said no. Then comes back this year, stays and leave, then says no. Why come two years in a row and leave two years in a row? Kind of a big tease.

VOLtage writes:

Tee Martin turns down Vols, 'made a commitment' to players at USC. What about your commitment to the Kentucky players. Guess only the one to USC players count. Hope your bridge to the Hill is burned forever.

BigBadVol writes:

The problem I have with his decision is why come out here in the first place? He knows that the volnation hates Kiffin. He has decided to use UT for a pay raise and to kick us in the groin by working with the snake. If he was so committed to his players, he should have quietly declined. But he didn't. He lied about his reason for not coming here. Tee, I'm sorry but no longer will I consider you a Vol! Thanks for '98 but since you have moved on so will I.

voodoo101 writes:

Who knows. Maybe if you put that gaudy USC yellow and red in a blender you get some shade of orange.

springtx_vol writes:

in response to AllVol1:

Tough to hear. Obviously there were other factors. If he were simply committed to his recruits and players, he would not have come to interview and check it out. I will not trash Tee. A man has to do what he thinks is right. If he does not want to be here, for whatever reasons, then I don't think he should be here. Let's focus on the best coach who wants to be here. Go Vols.

Okay, let's drop all pretense about loyalty to schools and players from the discussion matrix. I don't want to hear any more posts about have we need to do this or that for Tee or any other coach. This is a business and everyone needs to remember that.

Coaches are never going to be completely open and forthright about their plans. Players are going to change their minds about their commitments. The only thing that is constant is the fans. I will always cheer for The Big Orange regaredless of which sport it is and who they are playing.

Tennesseebob writes:

What a crock. Take his street sign down.

HooRay_Vol writes:

in response to JimmyJoe:

Now I like that idea. But on the other hand, maybe he doesn't want to be looking for a new job in 3 years.

utclyde16 writes:

in response to TheStupidPolice:

Hire Peerless Price.

Good Idea !!!

SeaBassHauling writes:

in response to Flyfisherman:

I absolutely agree with you....! Tee made his decision based on his wife...! Why would he bring her and the kids with him on a business trip? To try and convince her into moving here... Bingo...!

jacobsvolfan writes:

I guess momma didn't want to leave southern cal and jeopardize her career. oh well....

sstarnes#216340 writes:

He put on his Yamaka....
...to celebrate his Hanaka
He's happy in Califanaka
...with USC Trojananaka's

ashvol7 writes:

in response to vut5686#1405392:

Alright, all together now: Who in Vol land never turned down a job offer? (Show of hands)

Now, what part of no do we not understand?

This should be a non issue. Tee Martin may be a fine man. He was a one year quarterback who happened to be along on our year of glory. He has worked at the college level (prior to USC) at two losing programs, in minor rolls. He is reportedly a good recruiter, but he did not recruit KY to victory (except over us). This is not a negative hit on Martin. He just seems another "name" we clamor for, and want to throw a hissy fit if we do not get him. We offered; he said no; end of story.

We have done without hin for all of these years, I really think coach Jones can get along without him now. I feel confident the coach can find someone else that just might do better than Martin. I really don't know why anyone would want to work for kiffin.

dannasman writes:

in response to AllVol1:

Well Said, Good Luck Tee, Now Let's Move Forward!!

wycoller writes:

It was Thomas Wolfe who wrote "You Can't Go Home Again." This is for the best for both Tee and UT. I don't think it will take CBJ long to name the WR coach.

SeaBassHauling writes:

in response to sstarnes#216340:

He put on his Yamaka....
...to celebrate his Hanaka
He's happy in Califanaka
...with USC Trojananaka's

He want next Hanaka if Kiffhanaka has another year like this Hanaka....! Poor kids he committed to want be having no more Hanaka's

oldvol59 writes:

Sad and Depressing. Sad and depressing that Tee put those kids at USC above his own middle school aged son in Knoxville. Sad about his lack of loyalty. Sad that he couldn't convince "her" that as an aspiring singer of any style being close to Nashville isn't a bad thing.