traderjoe writes:

in response to Tennfan4075:

Unfortunately I am wondering the same thing. How could that much coaching talent not be recognized?

I mean really, you're getting paid $18 million but we shouldn't be critical of his use of superlatives? lol...come on, if we were getting the best, he would have fired himself and hired Saban or his predecessor at Nortre Dame..lol Seriously, I hope he does well, but what a faux pas...we're going to have not just the best in the SEC, but the best in the country. Whoopsssss...

traderjoe writes:

in response to Tennfan4075:

That's funny. I hope it's not accurate, but that is funny.

Yep, I'm in Atlanta and he's certainly not the best of the bestest...lol

I hope Coach Butch is not a bull shooter...not something we need...we don't hear Saban or Richt or anyone esle making such outrageous claims...lol

bigcoondog writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

And Fulmer won a national Championship while Chavis has won National Championships at two schools. Cutcliff coached Peyton and Eli Manning to the NFL elite status. Trooper Taylor won a national Championship at Auburn. Kippy Brown won a National Championship nad coached in the NFL playoffs last year. Much better than any of these coaches yett they all have one thing in common, they were sent packing by the University of Tennessee.. How is that working out for ya? You now owe 9'6 million in buyouts , you are broke, you are at the bottom of the Conference, went 1-7 in the SEC and now are praying these guys can somehow match what you already had. Lack of loyalty has decimated a once decent program. Karma has come home. Vols for life? Ha ha
.. Ask T martin why he siad no way after watching Chuck Smith get run out of town also.

Does Kentucky not have not have a web site you can blog on ????

AtLannaVol writes:

in response to Tennfan4075:

That's funny. I hope it's not accurate, but that is funny.

It's funny, and I believe it is accurate. This staff kind of seems desparate. If it was so good, why did they look so bad against Doolanders team last year. Dooley has to be laughing while laying on beach reading this on his i pad.
"Best Staff in....Cincy!" Not getting Tee was a downer too. I think if you kept Pittman for the O-line and got Tee for the receivers, then maybe some of the juniors stay. But now...not so much.

TheCopper writes:

in response to titletownz:

Nothing but a pitiful bandwagon fan

abnerPeabody writes:

This is the best staff ,not only in the SEC,but in the entire nation.

Ironcity writes:

in response to Bark_at_the_Moon:

My Georgia friend says this is the most laughable hire of all: Willie Martinez, Safeties. Says there were planes that flew over their stadium that said FREE WILLIE!

I have been in Ga for years and they did hate Martinez but not before the same fans called him the best coach/recruiter in the country. When he was a secondary coach Ga. put countless secondary players in the NFL. When he became the DC, they played a bend but don't break Dee and that didn't work. As I said before, if you make Martinez the DC then you are in trouble. You put him in the secondary, then you got your self a great recruiter and a good coach. I am glad we have him.

tennesseeduke writes:

in response to voodoo101:

Did I miss special teams and kicking in there somewhere?

Mike Elder Tight Ends and Special Teams. Guess that includes kicking!

Like the staff, GBO and CBJ.

tennesseeduke

Banner writes:

You can't make a statement about hiring the best staff in the country and then hire all of the University of Cincy staff! I find it hard to believe that they had all the best coaches. 5 years ago people would be up in arms but now the are excited. Tells you the state of the program. We are trying to be like University of Cincy. I hope this isn't a Dooley "you ain't going to kick us around anymore" actually Dooley they did kck you around.

exlineman writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

I predicted dooley was a huge mistake from day one. I predicted UT would lose to UT and Vandy the last two years or both in the same year. Lost to both and went into overtimne to win the other. I predicted bryce brown would play in the NFl after you fans trashed him. I predicted UT would become the Boston College of the SEC. I told you UT was a sinking ship nobody wanted to be a part of. 7 coaches quit that year..Im actually 51 and have a home in St Pete and Tn. Now tell me what was wrong with those predictions. Firing Fulmer has become the biggest financial and win percentage dissaster in the SEC.. And blind fans like you deserve it. All you can do is sit back and call people childish names. You have no stats that are good .

Little fat boy Brett Roberts you just don't learn, no one cares about what a looser like you has to say. You need to get back on you tube and spew some more garbage. You are the biggest fake on this site. Get a life, get me a beer, when you get through cleaning those tables. Maybe that is something you know more about as your don't know diddley about sports.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Man, you are an idiot.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

This is the best staff ,not only in the SEC,but in the entire nation.

They are teachers and motivators and that is what the team needs. Big names mean nothing these days. Give the coaching staff a chance.

exlineman writes:

Brett, I notice you haven't brought out your other screen names just yet, guess they are busy tending bar and gave you the tables to clean tonight.

hateNCloveTN writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Are you Tammy from Auburn's husband?

traderjoe writes:

I hope the rah rah crowd isn't going to let Hart off the hook just because they are excited bout Butch. Hart should've known what we did in year one of Dooley...that he was not ready to coach in the SEC...or maybe anywhere. Not only did Hart wait until year 3 but he was ill prepared to go after a top coach. And signing Butch for $18 mill...desperation breeds bad decisions. Let's bring in a TN man.

TheStupidPolice writes:

in response to traderjoe:

Amen. I don't understand these people who think you have to blindly support every decision and hire to be a "true" fan. That kind of go with the flow, happy days and lollipops attitude is the difference between being the Chicago Cubs and being the New York Yankees.

traderjoe writes:

in response to TheStupidPolice:

Yes, it is kind of funny isn't it. A little more critical thinking by the rabid fan base would have nipped some if not many of TN's woes during the Hamilton reign if pressure had been applied. Although many of these fans will attend ball games when losing to KY and Vandy, they wouldn't spend $12 bucks for a movie with a bad review. I guess this is what makes not so talented people rich, like our ADs and coaches, when they can exploit this kind of uncritical mentality.

therightstuff writes:

in response to Bark_at_the_Moon:

Willie Martinez is an excellent position coach and a solid recruiter.....the issue at GA was when he was the defensive coordinator.

CantStandCantStandSaban writes:

in response to Bark_at_the_Moon:

As a transplanted ATLien, I know a bunch of Georgia fans. The consensus there is that Willie bit off a little more than he could chew with that position. Remind you of Kevin Ramsey at all? He was a great position coach at TN years ago, got hired away to be the DC at UGA and was a complete disaster. Martinez will be fine...as long as he's not in charge or anything other than recruiting players and coaching DBs.

exlineman writes:

Brett, I see some of your other screen names are starting to show up. You had better get the bar cleaned up before your brother fires your head. Can't stand Saban, trader joe and stupid police. Where do you come up with all of these dip stick names? I guess you think Brett Maverick Roberts is still an original.

tennezz writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

When was it that UT lost to UT? I do not remember that one!

10SE writes:

in response to traderjoe:

I'm just curious for the dumb arses in Vol world, such as yourself, who you think that we could have possibly hired, that is more credible than Butch? You guys kill me!!!!!

SevierVol writes:

Just like the football team, a coaching staff's success depends on chemistry and everyone buying into the HC's system. That system must then be succesfully conveyed to the players. Cosches who can successfully exploit their teams strengths and disguise their weaknesses and are able to recognize and exploit other team's weaknesses will be successful. This staff has all had success and seem capable. Let's just hope the chemistry is there and all can be on the same page. This would be a huge change from what we have experienced the past few years.

bvol1inSC writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Our new head coach has not even been on campus for a week and already the Legion of the Miserables and naysaying negaVols begin to show their ugly faces. I would think that if you are as knowledgeable and brilliant as you claim to be that you would be working on the AD staff of a major university helping them improve their athletic program instead of on here pounding on a keybaord whining and complaining about anything and everything. But, that's what losers do ... just sit in front of a keyboard and whine and complain. YOU are an embarrassment to the Big Orange Nation.

Just ... go ... away, and take your little playmates with you.

GerryOp, you've been on here long enough to know that "ProfessionalHandicapper" is NOT a Vol fan...so I'm thinking you are a troll too! If anyone knows anything about CMU FB history over the past 5-10 years, you know that they DO/DID have some of the best coaches in the country...they routinely beat bigger, more talented schools...and I haven't googled it yet - but I would guess their record is as good as any in the nation over the past 10 years. So....I don't see many true "negaVols" on this site...but I do see questionable Vols such as yourself fanning the flames. Get real dood. Also, ProfessionalHandicapper is a Vandy "rat"...

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Tennfan4075:

That's funny. I hope it's not accurate, but that is funny.

The guy bombed as DC at UGA, but he can handle the safeties and recruits his tail off..They won't be laughing when he has UT's defense kicking the dawg's arse in the future.

flatrock writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

You are one sad soul.

bvol1inSC writes:

traderjoe = troll

nocahoma writes:

the hiring of butch and hart made us the joke of the sec

nocahoma writes:

WE need to give up our Sec card we can't beat Franklin at Vandy, we have nothing in Knox, we need to face it

nocahoma writes:

why we can't win??????? i know idiot fans fired phil and now we are a joke that can't beat Vandy, man they lol at us outside of Knox just like this big gold thing we have from the world's fair, why does the world lol at us, cause we are stupid

traderjoe writes:

in response to 10SE:

LOL...name calling shows what playing field you belong on. Hart thought 3 other guys were hirable. We got #4. Not saying he's a bad hire but Butch saying he's gonna hire the "best" staff on the planet says something about him. Don't know what yet but time will tell. Hart should have done some screening much earlier in the process, certainly before he officially fired Dooley. And $18 mill for a guy who's followed programs Brian Kelly's built? Do we really know if he can coach or recruit? Cincinatti fans said no. We'll see but the point is Hart was not prepared and he certainly didn't do any due diligence before he made public his offers. Very clumsy and embarrassing for UTK. But I'm sure I've wasted some Internet ink trying to 'splain' something to the likes of you. lol

nocahoma writes:

EAST KNOX WANTED PHIL TO STAY BUT THE SNOBS OF WEST KNOX GOT THERE WAY, SCREW W KNOX THE HEART IS EAST SIDE AND HATE YOU NON BORN KNOX FROM THE WEST REP MY TOWN

traderjoe writes:

in response to bvol1inSC:

traderjoe = troll

Wow, bvol1 in SC...lol You put a lot of thought into that didn't you? What year did you drop out...of high school?

nocahoma writes:

nocahoma writes:

u NOT EAST OF THE RIVER U DON'T REP US, GOT THAT

nocahoma writes:

WEST KNOX HAVE RUINED US THEY ARE NOT FROM HERE AND RUINED US

nocahoma writes:

WEST SIDE MADE US GO HOLLYWOOD AND WE NOT ABOUT THAT WE HUNT AND FISH AND THESE YUPPIES TOOK OVER OUR TOWN

nocahoma writes:

WEST SIDE U RUINED MY COUNTY AND YOU YUPPIES ARE NOT WANTED

nocahoma writes:

I MEANT EAST NOT WEST

nocahoma writes:

I MEANT WEST NOT EAST

BMSvol writes:

omg this isnt even the best coaching staff in the big east.

i see another embarrassing year in our future (or 3).

killervol69 writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Go away, troll scum. Nobody likes you, and we don't want you on our blog. So go away now, shoo scumbag, beat it Troll Trash!

killervol69 writes:

in response to 10SE:

10 SE, You are Troll Shat! Go to a blog where you're welcomed, we don't want you here, arse-clown. Loser.

VolsFanInAfghanistan writes:

WOW!!! Give someone a computer and google and they can run a football team. I know someone on here will call me a name or two and thats sad, but I thought this was a site for Vols fan to talk about our team. Theres so many positives and negatives about our team and staff right now. We won't know anything about them till they hit the practice field and work out the kinks. Some of you went online and watched videos of Cincinnati play or googled the pass coaches to see the types of defenses they ran or the positions they coached. Now for the life of me why is it that some of you think that we'll be that way as well. Why can't we recruit players that fit the system these coaches are bringing in and they wreck shop. So many of you say the rating system doesn't matter, all that matters is heart.

Every program has its ups and down, defensively as well as offensively. The Martinez's and the Thigpen's of the college football world make mistakes just like every one of us do in our everyday lives. In football its called playing the odds. No one player is always going to get it right. When we recruit these kids to play football for us their eyes are so wide open to the speed of college football that mistakes are going to be made. So with that being said why can't we just wait to see the product we produce before we judge.

Alabama got beat by Texas A&M does that mean Saban is a bad coach, no he and his staff had a bad day is all. Coach Jones was excited to be at Tennessee so of course he may have said things that to him seemed to be the best choice of words, but to all of us to truly believe he would put together the best staff in the country and some of you to believe it is beyond me. We all know that putting together the perfect staff is truly unimaginable in college football more so in the SEC. This may seem like a rant to some, but good gracious this is getting out of hand with the name calling. Lets all just look past the trolls that come on here to cause hate and wait it out till the recruiting is done and spring practice starts.

P.S. To all you negative fans and trolls, its cold as HE double hockey sticks over here. How about you sprue some of that hot air over here to help keep us warm, hehehe. GBO VFL!!!

rlengland4 writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Vols,

We were almost rid of the useless imitation of a knowledgeable football individual...........the very UN-professional handicapper. Now Vol friends, some of you know this troll better than I.........such as the over weight resident still living with 'mom.' I know nothing of that lifestyle. However, this I do know..........he is one who craves attention, even at the risk of sounding stupid with the 99% inaccurate statements and incorrect facts.

Those such as he are drawn here like a magnet. Occasionally, some of us including myself............will, having nothing better to do, actually read one of his ridiculous posts, and in the final analysis.........find it was a waste of time. I believe most of us just see the name and scroll on down to someone else who knows what they're talking about.

Anyway,as to the subject, pretty soon CBJ will find the final piece of the puzzle and the staff will be up and running. Some have suggested people like Willie Gault, TJ Woods etc. They were great receivers so it remains to be seen if someone like those guys would become great coaches and recruiters. Stay tuned..........

TD Woods coached five seasons as the wide receivers coach for Tulane and the following is taken from the Tulane Football website.

In Woods' fourth season, Casey Robottom accounted for 55 receptions for 633 yards and four touchdowns, in 9 games which ranked among the league's best. TU's receivers combined for 186 receptions for 2,173 yards and 13 touchdowns.

Woods' receiving group in 2009 was led by Jeremy Williams who cemented his place among TU's greatest wide-outs with 1,113 yards and seven scores on 84 receptions for the year. Under Woods' watchful eye, Williams ranked among Conference USA's top five receivers in both receptions per game and receiving yards per contest. He was the South MVP in the Under Armour Senior Bowl and signed as free agent with the San Diego Chargers.

Woods joined the Green Wave after spending the 2006 season as the wide receiver coach/return specialist at Jacksonville State University.

From 2000-05, Woods was the wide receivers coach/return specialist at the University of Mississippi and helped the Rebels to two bowl victories, a 10-win season for the first time since 1971, and to the SEC West Division title. Under his guidance, Ole Miss wide-out Chris Collins set or tied nine school receiving records and was a first-team All-SEC performer.

Prior to Ole Miss, Woods served in the same capacity at Western Carolina from 1997-2001, where two of his receivers surpassed 1,000 receiving yards in the same season. Woods broke into the college ranks at Appalachian State during the 1996-97 campaign as a wide receivers coach.

As a collegian at the University of Tennessee from 1985-89, Woods was a two-time All-SEC selection in 1988 and 1989 and completed his career as the Volunteer's single-season and career receiving leader.

That seems like a solid resume. Now lets go get another former Vol on the staff!!!

tnvol34 writes:

in response to albert63:

First -should have kept chaney

You got to be joking! or smoking!

tnvol34 writes:

Need to recruit some right footed placekickers!, we've had no luck with leftfoots!

golfman1975 writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

PH...you are wise beyond your years. Many fans talk about a coaches loyalty to the university...but it is a double edge sword. The university much also show loyalty and much of that has lead us down a rough road.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

I really don't understand these so called Vol fans that won't support Coach Jones and at least give him a chance before making their predictions of failure

volfan1202 writes:

Wow, who would have ever thought that "The best coaching staff in the country" was all of Lyle Jones's buddies from the Big Least conference right there at Cincinnati.

Prepare to be underwhelmed next season.