punkin writes:

in response to OrangeAndBlueWaffles88:

Do all Fla. fans and alums eat boogers like Cheek?

TheCopper writes:

in response to OrangeAndBlueWaffles88:

Yea that's what we all thought. You and tooneytown and dc3 are some of the biggest bandwagon fans ever. I'm surprised you guys aren't on here spouting trash about how Alabama or Notre Dame is your team now.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

You know, these 2 trolls, title village and waffle head sort of remind me of a parade.
Every one else is lining the street enjoying the parade.

Then, these 2 trolls are over on some side street, jumping up and down, banging on trash can lids , yelling "please look at us." "We want the attention with our parade too."

This is typical of these 2 band wagon trolls.

Basketvol writes:

Looking forward to it.

TheCopper writes:

in response to OrangeAndBlueWaffles88:

Here's the thing. You are a bandwagon fan. You know it. I know it. We all know it. What's laughable is that you don't deny it.

brod writes:

nice team effort. shot 47%, drastic improvement. i wish makanjuola was more consistent. he has had 3 or so big games in his career so far and other than that he has been a non-factor. stokes was schooled by karl hall, and stayed in fould trouble. the team fought through it. sign of a team that is maturing.

Volunatic writes:

in response to rockypop:

I can tell you that having played at Cincinnati during the 60's, when the Missouri Valley Conference was the best basketball conference in the country, beating Wichita State is a big deal.

In spite of the fact that the MVC has lost some of its past glory, it's still one of the best BB conferences in college basketball. This win was as quality a win as UT will have all year.

CCM kind of downplayed WS as not being the high quality opponent that he would have liked to schedule, but he knows how good these guys are, and what their history is. It's all good - for UT and WS.

Did you play on the early '60's teams with Larry Shingleton? He was my BB coach in middle school. Great coach, and still was an amazing shooter.

TheCopper writes:

in response to OrangeAndBlueWaffles88:

Yea you are wrong. I think we all expect there are going to be some losses. We also expect to see improvement, which we didn't see under Dooley. If after 3 or 4 years we don't see improvement, then, yes, just like you florida bandwagon fans, we will be asking for a new coach. It's my guess that when florida hits a bad stretch, and they will, you will be off that bandwagon faster than the customers that come through your momma's bedroom.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Sooo, you like watching tall men in shorts?

...or any man in jorts.

D60 writes:

U.F. the place you would put the hose to give this country an enema

in response to collegegrovebilly:

You make some good points, but last night, with the posts playing higher and the middle open, the Vols drove to the basket much more effectively than they have in their losses. In fact, I have frequently said that Stokes would be even more effective in the high post than he has been on the block. He doesn't have the height and lift to score effectively inside against double- and triple-teams. The team has not shown that it can feed him effectively inside. With Stokes and two or three defenders near the basket, there is no room for the perimeter guys to penetrate. It is OK to have one man on the block with this team as long as that is not the man you expect to lead you in scoring. Kenny and Yemi are decent offensive rebounders, but they don't really expect to be fed a lot in there. Stokes has skills that have not yet been fully tapped; he would have more room to display them if he was NOT buried on the block all the time, IMHO.

in response to lomas98:

A head coach shouldn't deserve credit or blame for a team making or missing free throws. A player either makes them or misses them. Martin could do the same exact things next week as he did this one and the team could go 50% from the line.

It also matters a lot who is shooting the free throws. Most of them last night were taken by Golden and McRae, both of whom are decent free-throw shooters. Yemi also, amazingly, made all of his, IIRC. Even Hall had a couple of nice makes. All in all, a great night from the line. I just hope they keep it up.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Sweep Sweep..

in response to VictorKruger:

This was the kind of performance I've been waiting for from Yemi! He really sparked the team in the first half. Stokes got schooled and McBee was scoreless, but we got a little home-cooking from the zebras, especially with the technical fouls. Not going to compalin about that a bit :>).

Yeah, I thought those techs were a little iffy, too. On the other hand, I thought Stokes got a couple of tough calls against him while trying to defend Wichita's Hall. The refs missed a few both ways last night, but it's just something you have to live with sometimes.

mytrifecta writes:

If we can get Maymon back soon I believe we have an ncaa tourney team. The sec is pathetic this year other than fl and maybe ky. If there are no more major injuries we're definitely a 20win team.

in response to rockypop:

I took CCM's remark about scheduling WSU as meaning that, with all the other quality non-conference opponents they had, they didn't need to have another opponent as good as WSU. It is not in his nature to build up one opponent over another, since with him it's all about effort, execution, and consistency no matter who they are playing. No doubt WSU is and always has been a quality program, so whatever CCM or the guys say about them, this was a nice win for the Vols, for their confidence as much as for the bump in their RPI.

in response to DevoSanchez:

Did they play zone on us? If so, what did we do differently against the zone?

Oddly enough, they played man-to-man most of the night. They must not have watched much tape on the Vols. Of course, it may just be that their coach is pretty much a straight man-to-man guy like CCM. IMHO, the Vols still need to prove they can beat a zone, and they will probably get a lot of chances to do so as the season goes on.

in response to ROCKY_TOP_HAS_CRUMBLED:

I'm sure the Vols will care plenty when they play Florida. BTW, the Gators have looked better on paper than the Vols darned near EVERY year, but on the floor where it counts, the Vols have MORE than held their own. You surely are one negative guy. Are you or are you not a Vol fan? You surely don't post like one.

movol77 writes:

in response to rockypop:

Actually CCM played up WS, defending their RPI earlier this week.

jamgod writes:

in response to jt45:

Best game ive seen from Yemi to date and good thing too since Stokes was getting handled pretty good by their big man. This was a much needed win after the last two games. Whatever Coach Martin is doing to improve free throws was surely working tonight, 80% from the line is pretty darn good any day.

Great win !

Yeah...Stokes...why is it that when we get a five star player, they really do not look like they should have recieved a five star ranking at all. Stokes looks to me like he should have been ranked a four star at best. He has no "smooth" to him at all. Make no mistake, I am glad we gat the guy just because of his size but to me, it just seems like when we get a five star player they always underperform for some reason. Maybe its the orange or something I don't know. Kentucky's five star players (even thought they are not winning a lot...yeah!) look like five star players. Anybody else wonder this?

in response to OrangeAndBlueWaffles88:

There are always a few soreheads on any fan board. Don't tell me there aren't any on Florida's boards. Or ARE there any Florida boards? Must not be, since you are on here all the time.

VolzsFan writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Coach Pearl was clearly a horrible coach. All that program record success was an illusion. I much prefer all the great coaching that comes with 500 records. Just like football. That guy that had the most success in school history, now in the Hall of Fame, he was horrible. Averaging 10 wins per year and all.

However, those like me that actually played in college and professionally know that if you can shoot you do not change the fundamentals.

in response to jamgod:

I have a feeling that Hall guy is going to be playing for big money one of these days. I also thought Jarnell got a couple of bogus calls guarding him. I think Stokes has got game, but I don't like the way they have been using him most of the season. He can get free to get the ball and do more with it when he is on the move. When he is just posting up low, they don't feed him well and it is too easy for the opponents to gang up on him. Remember that nice foul-line jumper he made for his first bucket? I would like to see more of that. I would also like to see him in position to drive the ball to the basket like he did against Kennesaw State. He can't do that from a stationary position under the basket.

volboy81 writes:

GREAT win! It was a fun game to watch. Did anyone else notice how the ref was going to call WSU's shot at the end of the first half good, when he didnt shoot it til at least a second or 2 after the buzzer went off. Thought the officiating overall was sorry as usual...but a well-played game by the Big Orange. I miss Ray Mears. Thanks, coach, for all you did here in Big Orange Country!

in response to VolzsFan:

I think we all appreciate Pearl's success, but it didn't seem to me that he was a great teacher of the game. I have always thought that shooting was in large part an innate talent, but proper practice in youth is important also. The culture of winning has replaced the development of skills in youth ball, so many of today's players have glaring fundamental deficiencies. It is hard to use much team practice time in college for fundamentals, so it is largely up to the players to practice them on their own. If you recall Karl Malone's career, he was about a 30% free-throw shooter when he first came into the NBA, but by the end of it he was shooting over 80%, so it is possible to improve one's shooting later in life if the will is there. Jason Kidd of the Knicks was a terrible perimeter shooter early on; this year he is shooting over 50% on three-pointers, so he has clearly been working on it.

duck_in_a_pen writes:

in response to OrangeAndBlueWaffles88:

Billy D has not owned a coach at UT since Buzz. Perhaps you should consider this is a basketball story before making reference to anyone "owning" anything. Billy was 5-9 against Bruce and is 0-2 against Cuonzo. He has won 5 of his last 16 against UT. 8 years of absolute domination. It doesn't matter how good FL has looked over the last 8 years, they fall flat against UT.

Basketvol writes:

in response to OrangeAndBlueWaffles88:

Really? I think all fans who have stuck with UT throughout the mess of the last few years have earned their permanent "fan card."

If you are a Florida fan, why are you here? Don't you guys have your own message boards?

secondcreek writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

Took his yankee arse back to Michigan

What's up with all of the snide and nasty comments by multiple people related to this article? Just be happy the Vols won vs. tearing each other down.

golfman1975 writes:

in response to OrangeAndBlueWaffles88:

Unlike FU fans...we have passion...
Can you explain why FU basketballers have the same colors os our Lady Vols...you must know a good thing when you see it.

rockypop writes:

in response to Volunatic:

Yeah - only he was known as "Shingles!" Did you know he was a great tennis player as well?

Noogaorange writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Brian didn't put the work in to get better.
That's on him not Pearl. Pearl never missed a shot.
I for one will be glad when we hire him back! GBO VFL17

LSG410EC83 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

First have to say, what a game. This is what I hoped we would see once having a little break and getting back on their home court. Have always enjoyed reading your well thought out post. Have to agree with the bogus calls on Stokes, but they were what they were and the bench came out and did all they could to take up the slack. I did notice last night that they actually brought the big men out some which did allow Stokes the shot. I am far from a basketball expert (played football through high school and just could not seperate the two when I did play-needless to say, I always fouled out early lol), but did see the floor open up in doing this allowing some drives to the basket. Really was good seeing them not settle for the three pointers. Look forward to the next games. Will be some good games to work on their offense. I did actually notice the fans getting more into the game last night (although the crowd was down due to school out and a lot of sickness going around) Game just showed the team's potential against a fairly solid team. As I have always stated, IT IS GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL. GO BIG ORANGE.

LSG410EC83 writes:

in response to titletownz:

29 points scored from the free point line divided by 69 total points scored in the game. After doing this, multiply by 100 and this will give you the percent of free throws of the total score. Soooooo, (29/69) X 100 = 42.028985507246. Now, seeing the signigicant figures are 2 (I know this may be over your head a little, but bear with me - seems like you have plenty of time on your hands since you surely post on your teams board also instead of trolling only UT's board)would make the actual figUre being that of 42% which is 8% less than 50%. So, if you want us to take you serious (which is a virtual impossibility) please get your figures correct. And, a win is a win is a win. IT IS GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL. GO BIG ORANGE.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to OrangeAndBlueWaffles88:

I've always known you're a Gater punk. Salma Hayek is old enough to be your mother punk

rbwtn writes:

Hey it felt good. OK Mr.Stokes time to learn how not to get into Foul trouble. Welcome to College Basketball.

1vavolfan writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Did you actually watch UT during the Pearl era? Williams was a fat 2 star recruit when he can in, he left a solid SEC big man. Its not up to the coaches to teach kids how to shoot, they can help by coaching technique, etc. Players get better by taking shots on their own and being dedicated, thats why Lofton and Jujuan were great shooters. Speaking of coaching shooters Jujuan went from a walk on to one of the best shooters in the SEC, 3 years of which were under Pearl.

Basketvol writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I had a good view of the Hall technical and he definitely deserved it. I didn't see what happened on the other technical, it looked like maybe one of their players said something to the Tennessee bench. On the Hall technical, after making an un-extrordinary play, Hall turned around and let out a war cry like you see players do after an impressive dunk. He kept on with it while getting up in Stokes' face, clearly trying to provoke him. You're right about Stokes getting some tough calls, there was one in particular that was especially bad. Too many whistles in that game for me! I'm just glad the Vols hit their free throws. Great win!

golfman1975 writes:

in response to OrangeAndBlueWaffles88:

Bad news for you...what goes up must come down. When you fall...you will make crater the size of Florida.....you going down!

I bet you won't come back when we kick you cashews...your nuts roasting on an open fire.......just saying.

totoiv writes:

I figure that if I can leave a negative comment a few days ago saying we would be beat by Witchata State, I can leave a comment stating that they team played a lot better and I am happy for them. This team still has a lot of issues and they need to improve quickly. The number of unforced turnovers was high. But, the overall offensive effort was better.

golfman1975 writes:

in response to totoiv:

Spoken like a true Vol fan! Everyone gets frustrated...me included. I feel IF we can get Maymon and Miller back, Stokes will be have more opportunities. Makanjuola is getting some good experience at game speed and starting to show some potential...Lopez is a good role player. If we get the bigs back the offense will have more options. Mayman and Stokes played well together last year...remember Stokes should be a freshman.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I think a lot of the new players just don't see the potential of having a great defense. It's hard work to stick with your man. Heck a couple of older players are just now getting it. I love this team and how hard they're working. even in our losses we worked hard. If we gain some confidence on offense we should have a great year. This Wichita State team looked really good inside. Hall kid was a player. Our bigs had nothing to be ashamed of and even though Stokes got schooled a little he still helped us stay in the game by drawing the defense away when he was in. Great effort by all. Well really by both squads. I'm looking for Wichy to do well this year also.

I will say though that their guards weren't as good as Va. or Gtown. I still think we need to step it up offensively with our guard play. We did well but I think you'll be seeing some great play in the coming games. Wichy was a confidence game for us.
You may see Stokes come out with a little more fire too.lol He looked very frustrated against Hall. I get frustrated too with the refs concerning Stokes. I think they don't like our gentle giant. Last year we saw opposing players with their heads in his chest pushing him(illegally) towards the basket...not that all Hall's plays were illegal! But you could see Stoke's frustration on his face. It'll make him a better player I think.