rcnelson56 writes:

Loyalty is essential; Fulmer had it and it was part of his success and his ruination. Every coach will eventually have to fire an assistant. So far, Coach Jones has had success. We'll see if Central Michigan coaches can bring that success to the SEC and if he's coach enough to fire family when the time comes.

in response to rcnelson56:

Part of that philosophy goes with keeping a family together..Do you think Fulmer would still be coaching if Cutcliffe doesn't leave? I do..Also, Jones has this team of coach's happy in their roles, and they aren't looking for the next big payday right now. I never got that feeling with Dooley's staff, especially after Wilcox & Sirmon bolted West.

Vol43 writes:

in response to claiborneh:

It's Official! The TN football staff has been voted #1 in the country. It was a unanimous decision by Butch Jones and the staff.

Why don't you go have intimate relations with yourself

Noogaorange writes:

in response to BMSvol:

im sure these central michigan coaches are really gonna teach saban and spurrier a lesson or 2.

Maybe you should change your name to PMSvol!

That would be more descriptive.

GBO VFL17

Noogaorange writes:

in response to claiborneh:

Jones has great PR skills and seems very likable. Other than that I am not informed other than the articles here to say how good his staff is. However I think some of you may agree that "the best staff in America" comments Jones made at the first press conference is the expected B.S. spin. Jones did not shop one single coach other than retain Graham and ask Martin. Other than that all the coaches are from Central Michigan or Cincinatti. Who knows, could be a terrific staff, but the best staff in the country....right.

Maybe he meant the best staff in America for him and the Vols at this time.
At this stage of the game this may well be the best staff for us to have.
Changes can be made later if needed but not having to coach the coachs is probably a good thing.
Everyone needs to support this staff.....we're not getting another one!
Coach Jones needs our support. GBO VFL17

rtrchatt writes:

Coach Jones is spot on. "Players are players."
He will certainly witness that first hand when seeing Alabama up close and in person. 7 in a row coming and there is NOTHING you can do about it.

claiborneh writes:

in response to laraccoon:

i guess Jones will have to overcome the ignorant UT fanbase , see above comment !

Ignorant means lack of knowledge.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to Rosie:

Hope this staff can adapt to the SEC. The Mac is one thing- the sec is a bit different.
Like most Vol fans- I'm routing for the new crew, but been burned 'hoping'

agreed, Frankly being a coach from CMU doesn't impress me at all but Butch is no idiot so I'll trust this staff can do well

volunteer_cowboy writes:

http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop, Alabama recruiting assistant JR Sandlin has accepted the director of recruiting position with Tennessee

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to NGage:

KNS, I down you for all the negative and hit pieces you do on the UT program (largely Adams), so it's nice to see an article like this every now and then. Must be the Christmas season, LOL. Merry Christmas, KNS.

People want to say things that lead others to believe the same way they do. Truth is,Adams has never written an article that wasn't true. You and others will not agree,but I understand.

People,Adams has told us for several years now what a sad state of decay this program is in,but some refuse to believe it. Many will not admit that even today.

Today, we are a 2 door version yugo program Called I go. Given a couple of years,we may be able to upgrade to a 4 door version called a we go.

Just keep the faith and back our coaching staff 100% until they prove themselves unworthy of being backed. When we get back to positive things,you will see positive reporting.

in response to rtrchatt:

Coach Jones is spot on. "Players are players."

AH's are AH's, you certainly proved that point..

SevenT writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Is tucky listed as one of the confederate states?? I don't think so..I'm certain you're kin to the faction that was undecided.

Had I been alive back then, I certainly would not have been "undecided" I would have taken a similar position that General Andrew Jackson did and supported and fought for the Union because people should not be allowed to own other people as slaves.

Perhaps you should try and justify slavery?

in response to SevenT:

Perhaps you should try and justify slavery?

First you are confusing slavery with states rights, and secondly if you were poor you fought for your state (not slavery). Most Southerners fighting in the Civil War were not slave owners, in fact some Tennessee troops had slaves fighting side by side with confederate soldiers against Union forces. They were defending their homes, and if you don't think enough of Kentucky to fight for her, then you are exactly the kind of coward I was referring to.

AncientVolFan writes:

Ah, things are so much better since Fulmer was fired. Obvious that Fulmer contributed nothing to the program, it was all the great talent that wanted to come here because of our stadium and fans alone.
I do wish Butch Jones the best.

in response to AncientVolFan:

I do wish Butch Jones the best.

Actually they are about the same, Fulmer left with a 5&7 mark and Dooley also equaled that record. But, I do know what you're saying.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Hey Billy, I can't believe some still haven't realized the harm Dooley & his bunch did to the Vols.
Some of us just knew from the start the he was just wrong, not even counting his losing record, it just felt wrong. All those saying "well he's a nice guy" and so on. He peed off every H.S. football coach in East Tenn off & who knows who else. He was/is NOT a nice guy.
I know we don't agree on the Fulmer thing, but we do agree on a lot. I know Butch isn't the "HomeRun" some fans wanted, but get real, Gruden was never comming. Butch Jones feels right to me. I think he has what it takes to win in the SEC or anywhere else if given the chance. UT is not known for support from the higher ups for athletics usless you're part of the old boy network & the fan base is kinda, you know. There is plenty of info out there showing he has the right background to do this.
Let me know what you think. I'm going on record that I think Butch will improve the program each year & have the Vols competive in two or three years. We ain't going to win the SEC in two years, heII it might take three or four, but we will get better each year & that's really all you can ask.
Merry Christmas Bro.

GBO - Give em heII Butch!

therightstuff writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

So far three have bolted to the NFL and two linebackers decommitted. Once again talent walking away from UT. The list since Fulmer was fired is lined with names like Berry, Bray,Hunter,Patterson,Brown,OKU,Pope,Lamison,Jackson,Rodgers,Boyd, Stephens, ect could fill an All SEC roster. Now add the decommits and the 4 Star safety who quit as a feshman when Jackson was dismissed and the laundry list of talent is overwhelming. I told UT fans for two years too much talent was leaving and the typical response was "we dont need them anyway". After losses to Vandy and Kentucky maybe you did need them.

Man, I hope your real job is not professional handicapper! Lamison? Really? JUCO QB nobody was looking for....Kiff brought him in as a warm body and Dooley wouldn't let him leave. Pope was a wasted scholarship.....grade issues from high school when CPF recruited him. Where is Oku? Boyd didn't walk away....Kiff told him to look elsewhere. Rodgers was a TO like cancer with zero heart. Jackson was given multiple chances and couldn't get his act together. All SEC roster? You have got to be kidding me.... Bray, Hunter and Patterson were probably on their way out regardless so that is/was not a shock at all.
But wow, Lamison and Pope fill a an All-SEC roster.....wow. ROTFLMFAO....... Hitting the holiday spirits early are we?

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to SevenT:

Perhaps you should try and justify slavery?

Ah, excuse me MORON! Andrew Jackson fought in the War of 1812, he was President of the US long before the War Of Southern Sucession. You need to just need to STFU of wait till you finish 8th grade History. This is a football fourm not American History. You seem to not know much about either.
Take your sorry butt back to Kentucky until you grow up a little.
B.Beare, you should know better than to get into it with these Jr. Trolls
Merry Christmas B.B.

in response to Vol_in_Mich:

Take your sorry butt back to Kentucky until you grow up a little.
B.Beare, you should know better than to get into it with these Jr. Trolls
Merry Christmas B.B.

Yeah, I'm just placating a sadistic desire to abuse the dimwitted..Likewise on the Christmas wishes..

SevenT writes:

in response to Vol_in_Mich:

Take your sorry butt back to Kentucky until you grow up a little.
B.Beare, you should know better than to get into it with these Jr. Trolls
Merry Christmas B.B.

I didn't bring up the history garbage your troll pal BiPolar did.

BTW Andrew Jackson was a staunch Unionist and fought politically against the Southern States and his first VP John Calhoun. During his time as President he defended the United States of America particularly against the Southern States that tried to wreck the union. The South was preparing for succession from the Union for about 40 years prior to the Civil War but they were scared to death of crossing Jackson.

Not MORON perhaps you need a little History lesson.

in response to SevenT:

I didn't bring up the history garbage your troll pal BiPolar did.

Not MORON perhaps you need a little History lesson.

Andrew Jackson aka: Old Hickory was the 7th president of the US. He was a plantation owner ref: The Hermitage as well as a slave owner, DA!

SevenT writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I know all about Old Hickory, the Donelsons and the Hermatige Plantation in Nashville. Jackson owned slaves and made a small fortune as a farmer and lawyer, but that didn't mean he would stand by and allow his country, the United States of America to be destroyed by Southern Rebels. Remember Jackson also fought the Brittish in the Revolutionary War so he loved his country and did not want to see it destroyed. He held the union together during his time as President but the inevitable happened after he was out of office, the South suceeded and the rest is history. Learn something about History rather than making ignorant statements.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Yeah, he & James K. Polk were part of the bunch that screwed over the Cherokee Nation when gold was found in Lumpkin County Ga. & took their land resulting in the Trail Of Tears. Go back & read what Davy Crockett thought of Jackson. Crocket served in Congress to try to stop Jackson & his cronies. He failed & went to Texas, most of us know how that turned out. For years the Cherokees would not accept a $20 bill.
If these kids want to argue about this, bring it on. My wife is a Cherokee & my name is Lumpkin, so yeah, I know a little about this.
There are enough stupid Vol fans on here without Kentucky fans comming here. Do you guys not have a site of your own? If not, I'm sure you can find a Bammer to set you one up.
I'm bored or I wouldn't be effing with this kid.

GBO

SevenT writes:

in response to Vol_in_Mich:

I'm bored or I wouldn't be effing with this kid.

GBO

Indian Removal was an issue of National Security. It was unacceptable to have innocent Georgia farmers and ranchers attacked by wild Indians in the middle of tne night, burn down their house and scalped.

in response to SevenT:

Whatever, the ironic thing is Jackson and Lincoln are giving so much accolades for their contributions to humanity. Yet, both slaughtered Native Americans and drove them off their lands. Jackson in the Southeast and Lincoln in the Midwest, most notably Minnesota..For shame

VolinCalif writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Well Bi if you get right down to it Was Tenn?
I believe that Knoxville was true to the Union. Wasn't Johnson, Lincoln's Vice President, from Knoxville? He became the next Pres. I know that most of Tenn were Rebels but not Knoxville. So what is UT? I didn't live in Knoxville so I'm a Reb. But I was schooled there.

SevenT writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Grow Up Bi-Polar...Jackson or Lincoln didn't invent this practice. Indians were driven out of lands ever since white people came to America on the Mayflower. The Brittish Colonialists invented the practice. You don't think they had Indians in New York or Massachusetts?

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Can you believe this kid? Wild Indians scalping Ga farmers in the middle of the night. This is the Cherokees we're talking about, The Civilized tribe. Only place they scalp anyone in their casino. I know, been there.

apriliaracing writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

You have a very valid point. I really liked Dooley and I think his long term plan was good. The real problem was he couldn't take care of the home front. The sec is Defence, defence and some defence. He should never have tried to change everything at one time. I even think that Sal was a good coach just not ready for DC at this time, but the 3-4 is a very good Defense but takes a lot of time to get up to speed. Dooley didn't have that kind of time, his mistake. We will have a pretty good season this year 7-8 wins with two upsets. These guys are a hungry group of coaches and they work with their players.Look for players to put out every game.

I think you made some good points and I think I agree on your prediction regarding wins. Well said!

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to VolinCalif:

Well Bi if you get right down to it Was Tenn?

Actually, most all of east Tennessee was pro Union.
That was brother against brother, kinda like this Vol message board! (troll against troll)
Sorry, I couldn't help that last part.

Merry Christmas football Fans, whereever you're from!

in response to VolinCalif:

Well Bi if you get right down to it Was Tenn?

Actually my ancestors fought on both sides, but my land I currently reside on was once plantation property connected to the Rose Hill plantation in Beech Bluff TN. This area is located just SE of Jackson Madison County in West TN. You are correct that East TN was mostly neutral and some fought for the Union, while 2/3rds of the state was definitely confederate.

in response to Vol_in_Mich:

Yeah, he's a trip..Merry Christmas to you and yours & GBO!!

trl_x writes:

East Tennessee was so pro-union that it nearly seceded from the state. The state legislature wouldn't allow it.

ARANGEVOL writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Very well stated. College Grove is a nice place to live. IT HAS BEEN STATED MANY TIMES abouy how Dooley didnt win. But the damage was far greater than the won lost record states. Hamilton falls into the same catagory with Dooley for UT Football damage.
Damage control is now under way I hope. The light from 1998 is no where to be seen.

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to SevenT:

Good grief KY idiot. Andrew Jackson died 20 years before the Civil War. He had nothing to do with holding the Union together. There was no problem with the Union until later

Orangeblood13 writes:

in response to 82cat:

Hey Einstein you do realize he was being asked questions and interviewed by a reporter.

You may also note 90% of the article is the reporter making observations about the staff and quoting other staff members.

Well you sure whine a lot so give him a break

Aman
Let the man do his thing before we pass
The axe

Vols4Ever writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Alright, a few facts about the South and 'Old Hickory.

1. It was a war between the States, primarily fought over economic issues pertaining if the southern states would be allowed free trade with Britain to sell cotton. It had been brewing since the founding of the Republic with the 3/5ths compromise, the Missouri Compromise and the Dred Scott decision. Slavery, as repugnant as it was, wasn't the true basis.

2. Middle and West Tennessee, based upon a plantation agrarian economy, were Confederate regions. East of the Cumberland plateau were Unionists. Look at Roane Co. to see a split within a county.

3. Andrew Jackson defeated the British at the Battle of New Orleans with great assistance with the Creek Nation.

4. The Cherokee Nation realized the requirement to adapt to the new "civilization" in the 1700s being introduced by influx of white people invading their lands despite the prohibition by the British on the colonists.

5. To allow his Nation to adapt to this change and in the only time in recorded history, Sequoayah developed a written language from a spoken one.

6. Because his political base of the "western" settlers were demanding access and the confiscation of the Cherokee lands in Western North Carolina, Northern Georgia and East Tennessee with the discovery of gold, Andrew Jackson dissolved contracts and treaties that were previously negotiated.

7. The Cherokee, having assimilated the legal system of the US that they were assured would govern interactions between the 2 people and Nations, took their case to the Supreme Court of the United States and won.

8. The President of the United States at the time, Andrew Jackson, upon hearing that Chief Justice Marshall had issued the opinion that forcible removal of the Cherokee Nation from their ancestral lands was unlawful and unconstitutional, said "he has made his decision, now let him enforce it", committed an act of treason and violated his oath of office.

9. The eviction, rounding up the the inhabitants of Cherokee lands, stockading and imprisoning them to go on a forced march, was one of the greatest acts of genocide ever.

My family came to East Tennessee in 1839 and prospered on these ill-gotten acts. Its history, but don't attempt to justify or sugarcoat it.

traderjoe writes:

in response to Vol43:

Why don't you go have intimate relations with yourself

Hey Vol43...take it easy on claiborneh. Jones made the statement which was a pretty stupid one to make when analyzed on any level. This doesn't mean he's going to be a bad coach but it should raise a cautionary note among the Vol faithful prompting you to wait and see before you jump on CJ's bandwagon for fear it is only fueled by BS. Jones has a contract for $16 mill so he should be up for critical analysis of his every move. Saying something no other good coach in the country has said could mean several things. Maybe CJ is also caught up in the enormity of the moment and he's trying to impress the Vol faithful he really is worth $16 mill. Maybe he's a bull shooter by nature which would not be such a good thing to be characterized as on the recruiting trail. Or maybe he has poor judgement which is also not a good thing for a head coach to have. Time will tell but before you drink the coolaide, maybe you should cool it a tad and wait and see if this bandwagon is headed in the right direction or is merely the next one to follow Dooley over the cliff...for fans anyway...these coaches make out like bandits regardless of whether they're any good or not thanks to Hart.

in response to Vols4Ever:

Alright, a few facts about the South and 'Old Hickory.

Good post, and not only did I not sugar coat anything it's on par with exactly what I said from my first post..And a Merry Christmas to you also.

Vols4Ever writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Didn't mean to infer you were glossing over historical facts. We are where we are, because as some lyricist once wrote, "we grew up where our daddy had us" or something similar.

You too have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Sorry your loyalties have to favor the Golden Domers over the SEC but in this season even I can forgive that transgression.

And truly as always, GBO !!!

in response to Vols4Ever:

And truly as always, GBO !!!

When you grow up in a house that hates bammer with every fiber of their soul it means we pull for UT and any team playing the tide..GBO!

TrueVOL64 writes:

in response to MidTennVol:

The "best coaching staff in America?" Puhlease. Give me a break.

What coaching staff would you call "the best in America"... Alabama??? How has taking coaches from Saban paid off for us so far?? I don't wanna go down that road again!! What makes a great coaching staff is a group of guys working together and sold into the same ideas and goals! Coach Jones has some good coaches that he knows, trust and understands his system! So let's get behind the staff and the players! Go VOLS!
Merry Christmas!!!

Vols4Ever writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Hate is reserved for the overrated ( ND since the 80s, Southern Cal and the fake UT that can't even get the color of orange correct) the unworthy (Visor Boy when he was at the Gators and Charles Woodson/ESPN theft) and always the 'Cheating Cats.

Tide, has to be respected somewhat. Take the hate and build a fence to keep them from getting someone like 'Donte Hightower again from Southern TN.

in response to Vols4Ever:

Hey, speaking of cheaters that reminds me of Bear Bryant..Now that's a guy that never met a rule he couldn't bend.

crimsonviper writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Yeah, he's a trip..Merry Christmas to you and yours & GBO!!

He may be old friend...But,7teats is more than that. He is a living,breathing,walking,and talking penis with ears...He isn't worth your time...Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to Vols4Ever:

Alright, a few facts about the South and 'Old Hickory.

Very good response. There was another leader of the Nation who was half white & in the Chattanooga area of SE TN & NW Ga , John Ross. If I wasn't already loaded I would say a little about him. All this is Tennessee history, do they not teach this in school anymore? It's really interesting.
Anyway, Merry Christmas Vol Fans & others
The Vols will be better next year.

in response to crimsonviper:

CV, I was about to say..Where have you been?? Anyway, if Bama wins (which I'm sure they will) I'll be happy for the good Bama fans like you, and if they lose I'll be happy people like rtrchatt will be miserable..Merry Christmas CV and you tell that fine family I said hello..P:0n Earth..

Vols4Ever writes:

in response to Vol_in_Mich:

Anyway, Merry Christmas Vol Fans & others
The Vols will be better next year.

John Ross's house still stands in Bradley County.

Go to the grave site of Nancy Ward Ross near the Ocoee River at US 411 in Polk County. just an example of how much the Cherokee gave to the settlers over the Brits.

SevenT writes:

in response to Vols4Ever:

Alright, a few facts about the South and 'Old Hickory.

Please get your facts straight. Congress passed the Indian Removal Act and President Jackson signed it into law. Treason is a crime against the United States. This Act, however controversial, was passed by the will of the people legally so it was not "treason". The truth is the people wanted the land and wanted the Government to do what they did.

bigdisbig writes:

in response to ARANGEVOL:

Well He certainly talks a lot. Now all he has to do is put his coaching ability where his mouth is.
A top 20 recruiting class would be almost a miricle and winning seven games would be another.

Dooley did a lot of talking too. Jones MUST recruit, coach and let his product on the field do his talking. Most fans are tired of hearing about his coaching staff for they are NOT at all impressive to the point of being the best in the land. Lets hope they can recruit and coach.