ARANGEVOL writes:

in response to GerryOP:

It appears that in the preseason Coach 'Zo does a lot of "juggling" of the players to see what works. And then all of a sudden after the season starts, we end up #2 in the SEC!

But I agree Bubba, there appear to be a couple of concerns. The lack of a real "shooter" and the "disappearance" of Stokes. We will see what we will see.

Your right GERRY. They will look totally different. Memphis wont know what to practice for.

GerryOP writes:

in response to ARANGEVOL:

You obviously don't know Belmont.!

Of course I know Belmont. The Belmont Stakes is a thoroughbred horse race held every June at Belmont Park in Elmont, NY. The race is the third and final leg of the US Triple Crown.

Now, what was your point?

BubbaTN writes:

I've been very hard on the UT Starters in earlier posts because they earned it. I would also like to give GOLD stars to the Bench. They won this game and played hard and sometimes better than expected. I also give Coach credit for making the 2nd half lineup changes. Unlike some coaches in the past, he seems to be willing to shake up things to grind out a win.

BubbaTN writes:

in response to born2ride:

Two good things.

We won.

We scored over 40 points.

Short and to the point. Good post.

VOLinMAHWAH writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Under Cuonzo UT's style is now grinding out wins..

Grinding out wins is good for building character and determination. When the offense does finally show up, they will be unstoppable.

ARANGEVOL writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Now, what was your point?

You made my point Gerry. Your just a class GUY!

GerryOP writes:

in response to BubbaTN:

"Unlike some coaches in the past, he seems to be willing to shake up things to grind out a win."

And "wins" is why they play the game. Coach 'Zo seems to know what he is doing.

tennlions writes:

Couple of things. First, CCM basically benched Stokes for most of the second half and when he got back in, he responded with a nice driving layup. Seems like message sent and received. Second, in spite of the fact that many games have been offensively....offensive, the reason for the poor offense tonight might have been the holiday schedule. Regardless....get used to scores in the 60s because that's CCM's style.

GerryOP writes:

in response to ARANGEVOL:

You made my point Gerry. Your just a class GUY!

I believe you meant "You're just a class guy." rather than "Your just a class GUY." But ... whatever.

Now, what was your point?

SteelerNation writes:

Every game the commentators say the same thing about McBee. He is UT'S best 3pt shooter..blah blah. What are they going on? The 3 pt he hit against Kansas 3 years ago or because he is the short , slow white guy who plays for us. Glad when he is gone.

ARANGEVOL writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Now, what was your point?

Like I said you made my point.

decades_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to kwcoach:

Hey, glad they won but the Vols must find two people one who can score inside and another who can score outside. I am stunned by the lack of improvement and effort by Stokes.

Both agree and disagree. Tenn needs at least one (or probably two) players who can shoot consistently from outside. Right now they don't have anybody. They don't have anybody who can prevent opponents from double-teaming Stokes. While I agree with you that Stokes needs to chew some more gravel, he's not going to put up big numbers against two defenders when he gets the ball. Hey, I remember Michael Jordan passing out of a double-team many times, but at that level, he always had a Pippen, Paxson, or someone else to make you pay. If anyone could step up and shoot outside for the Vols, Stokes would get more looks against a single defender. His numbers (and fouls from his opponents) would go up quite a bit.

tennlions writes:

Living in Indiana, I watched many Purdue games with Cuonzo Martin as a player. He plays Gene Keady's style: motion offense, suffocating D and some serious mental toughness. Someone tell me when they've seen this team come unraveled in the second half. Richardson continues to develop, Reese's shot looked pretty good considering it was his very first game, and Lopez was a sparkplug. With this defense, UT should only need to get into the 60s to have a good chance to win. Get used to it. CCM basketball isn't pretty but it will be winning basketball. GBO!

SteelerNation writes:

Hey MeBee why don't you shave that phooey off your face and try looking a little more like a ball player and a little less like a hippy redneck and just maybe you may play a little better. Just a thought.

movol53 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Under Cuonzo UT's style is now grinding out wins..

BBEARE
I'm very aware of Zo's style. I watched him coach while he was here at Mo State. If you recall he came to K-town and all but beat Pearl's last team. Apparently UT has no one who can shoot the bal or is willing to take it to the hoop. Zo's teams aren't just defense although that comes first. At Mo State he did have some players that would shoot and score. If UT could find someone that could consistently score from anywhere that would take pressure off Stokes and perhaps they could get the ball inside more. Right now, IMHO, all other teams just double on Stokes and aren't concerned about much of anybody else. Tonight only one UT player in double figures. The only reason Reese made it into the game is that Maymon is going to end up redshirt for this year and Zo is trying to find someone who can score. I've read an article or two about some of the players stating they are ready to "step up" and become a leader and every game is seems these willing leaders just hide in the shadows. I do not blame Zo (fully) as he can't shoot it for them (if he, or some of the assist. coaches could we would have won at least two more games). A player like Lofton would be a great help. Seems we are playing with several player hurt: our point has a hurt shoulder and McBee has a elbow problem on his shooting arm.. . . OH well GO VOLS!!!!!

ARANGEVOL writes:

I really think they'll look totally different against MEMPHIS. McBee has always been a streak shooter.

reidtownriverrat writes:

Remember Goldon is not a true point. He was forced into that position because no one else could play it. If he could slide over to the 2 guard his game would improve. McBee does not belong with the starters, he cant shoot nor play D. Stokes shows no heart, he's slow and gives no more than 50%. Man these boys could'nt hit the ocean if they were standing on a offshore oil rig.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Golden played bad, but remember UT doesn't win without Golden's FT shooting at the end.

What I was thinking the first time TG stepped up to the line was that he may have been having a bad night trying to score (you can bet Xavier was scheming to stop him, since he's the team's leading scorer), the points he did score were huge.

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

in response to SteelerNation:

Last year the mustache worked, and made him look a lot like Pistol Pete, but I'm thinking the beard needs to go. It's probably not helping him score, on or off the court.

NGage writes:

Man, oh man, could this team (and UT's bball teams for a while now) use some shooters. Remember the fine art of shooting the basketball? Used to be a big part of the game.

fearthehound writes:

in response to ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER:

Ward never said "bottoms" it was "BOTTOM" singular.

Gotta agree with you there, the call was 'BOTTOM!!!'. I must have heard it 10,000 times.

Also, Golden is good, McBee is a backup--at best.

NGage writes:

Oh, and beware:

ugly wins eventually become ugly losses.

1vavolfan writes:

UT's game plan in the last 4 games. 1st half pass the ball around the perimeter and shoot 3's, find out which of the 5 starters came to play. 2nd half, attack the basket, bench the 3-4 starter's that are playing like phooey and grind out a win. This does remind me of the O'Neill days but we are getting W's and most of the O'Neill games were L's.

ACWLY writes:

Just happy to get a WIN, THANKS Vols!

fearthehound writes:

in response to ACWLY:

Just happy to get a WIN, THANKS Vols!

Well, I reckon...but there is something to be said for entertainment. Going to watch a basketball game should be a little better than sitting in the waiting room, waiting for your oil to be changed.

Hey, I wonder who made sure Bruce and Tony stayed in the Knoxville area for the next three years, huh?

iowavol writes:

in response to bosscat:

IMHO, one starter--Richardson--and three subs--Reese, Lopez & Makanjuola--were the players that won this game for us. Should Coach consider starting any or, say it isn't so, all 3 of them? I think Reese earned a starter's role and the other two earned a lot more playing time. I would like to read what others on this site think. I know one thing for sure: at half-time, I was a sad puppy not looking forward to the rest of the season; at the end of the game, I was in a much better mood.

Hard to disagree with what you are saying. Of course, Coach knows what he's doing and I've heard him talk about Makanjuola being more of a specific role player at this stage. I also think he's a real key for backing up Stokes as we have no one else that really can - especially with Mamon on the sideline. Hall played better tonight - but neither her or Stokes worked for rebounds. There are lot of points to be scored off a rebounds if they go back to the hole instead of moving away from it. Something seemed wrong with both Stokes and Golden. I wonder if they have the flu. They were not themselves at all. But Lopez really ought to be pushing for more playing time - I like his energy. Reese, we'll see. He looks like he's got game, needs some strength.

VinylVols writes:

Josh Richardson might be our best player. If he were a bit more selfish and more aggresive. I could see him putting up 14 points a game at least. But hes too conservative. And for people saying he doesn't have a good shot, he doesn't have a good 3Pt shot, but some of his pull up jumpers were just straight up dirty. Don't underestimate him, he'll be insane by his senior year.

Also so glad to see Reese out there, I was in shock when they were in a huddle and I saw him in there, I had no idea he was gonna play tonight. He is also the real deal. First night nerves definitely got to him, but once he's comfortable, he will be a big part of this offense.

Go Vols!

Basketvol writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Ugly wins count the same as pretty wins. 8-3 baby, 8-3. One more "preseason" game before the games start counting for real.

Has anyone else noticed that we haven't lost to any Belmonts, Austin-Peays, or Oaklands this year? That's a good thing!

Yes, I have noticed. I was starting to think I was the only one. These last two games are games that last year's team would have lost. This team is improving. They came back from a 10 pt 2nd half deficit. It was an ugly win, but it was a win. I'll take it. Go Vols!

carbonzip writes:

in response to bosscat:

Richardson is a star. He wrecks the opponents offense. Stokes needs different role in the Vol's offense. Golden doesn't use screens very well. Reese looks promising. Yemi getting better every game. Lopez Gets things moving.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to tennlions:

I'm a little bit liking our game. I didn't get to see the game but it sounded exciting to me. I don't get all this criticism really. We are winning some games against some very good opponents. We probably should have won the 3 games we lost...except maybe Okie St.

We 're going strong in second half. Let's just improve the first half a little and keep winning.

I loved the bench play tonight. With McBee and Golden both a little banged up we needed some help.

Stokes is playing hard most games but tonight he seemed a little bit out of it. Makan and Hall played well enough.

It took a team effort and that's what we got.

One_in_West_Knox writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

...and this game plan is the "secret ingredient" to multiple trips to the Big Dance and national titles??

kjav writes:

Bring Back Bruce

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

After watching the U K vs Louisville game ( which was an intense, great game ) I searched the channels and then found our Xavier game. After more than 10 minutes having been played, also noticed we had a total of 7 points. It was like we were playing the game of basketball for the first time.

If the rims could be checked today, more than likely, the paint will be chipped off them from the many bricks that bounced off them.
I was curious as to why Stokes and Golden were sitting and watching........thought it was maybe foul trouble. Then, learned it was due to under performing. Continuing to watch, I wondered why we weren't getting good open shots or any baskets close to the goal. The answer was this........people were basically standing there and without the motion offense, there were all those long 3 point desperate attempts chipping the paint off the rims.

You guys know more than I about BB, but IMO we don't move on offense and don't seem to have quality shooters. Defense does just fine obviously.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Not sure anyone noticed but Martin almost made a crucial mistake leaving Lopez in the game coming out of a TO with 6 minutes in the game and a lead..The offense had 3 bad possessions,one where Lopez tried to lead a fast break and got lost and smothered on the baseline..After that Martin got Trae off the bench in record time with the lead down to 3 points. Lopez does good spelling Trae and gets off some nice assists but he is a zero threat to score..Martin learned his lesson with Golden,his leading scorer..Hopefully he figures it out with Moore..How Moore is even on the roster is beyond me.

tennrich1 writes:

in response to BubbaTN:

Defense and hustle keeps you in games but scoring wins them. I think you're going to be disappointed with of the rest of the season unless we see some offense.

Bubba actually the schedule should get easier in the SEC with a few tough teams...so i guess i understand what you're trying to say but talking about the rest of the season verses what we've seen already is not the way to support the point...either way...this may be the best defensive team we've had since Kevins days...

tennrich1 writes:

in response to fearthehound:

Its kinda like baseball(which i love)...you MUST understand the game to enjoy it...that's kinda the way we are playing...and its probably more the way the game was intended to be played originally...but I must admit I do enjoy a good uptempo game as well...

oldster writes:

in response to tennrich1:

I Do not think that bb was ever intended to resemble a college wrestling match. Some skill and finesse is required. UT has zero.

John_10065 writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

It took a team effort and that's what we got.

It's smashmouth old school Big 10 style ball. It's what I expect from a Martin coached team.

These guys start getting some shots to fall and it's going to be fun to watch. It's not Pearl ball and that is what I think is turning a lot of people off. It's apparent that the team has bought into what Martin is selling, now we just need a little more offense and we could be making a run deep into March.

willphill#241787 writes:

in response to oldster:

UT won. That is about all that can be said. Even with a victory though it is hard to watch. If you enjoy UT basketball you must also enjoy watching teeth being pulled - painful.

Well said. The team would be much better off to try a few fast breaks after missed shots. Beat the opponent down court before it can set up a defense. That requires passing the ball down court- not dribbling - to strategically placed players. The real problem with Counzo's style of play is that no highly ranked recruit wants to play in a system that scores in the 30s and 40s more often than in the 70s and 80s.

AlpharettaVol writes:

It is obvious that Stokes doesn't think about what he is going to do with the ball until he actually has it in his hands. That gives the defense time to sag back and double team him and by then it's too late to make his move. He needs to make his move as soon as he is fed the ball. If they try to double him they will be a little late and probably have to foul to stop him. If they are able to double him, then he needs to quickly feed the ball to a teammate. The key to all this is quick decisions, which he is not making right now.
I was also glad to see CCM sit Stokes down for several minutes last night. Then when he came back in he immediately made a very good move to the basket for a score. Sometimes we need to remember that these kids are still young and some "tough love" can go a long way in getting their attention.

ssukonic#254241 writes:

Noticed Golden with a big brace/wrap under his left shoulder. What did he do to his shoulder and when did it happen?

SevenT writes:

This UT team plays one UGLY game

Sir_Spanky writes:

I agree, Tennessee basketball has been hard to watch, but if you wanted to see something REALLY hard to watch (well, it really wasn't hard for me) it was the preppy boys from Butler putting that beat-down on the Commode Doors in the game that followed. Anytime you think you've got it bad you usually don't have to look far to find somebody who has it a lot worse. Congrats Vandy, that's one heckuva team you've got there! :-)

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to fearthehound:

Also, Golden is good, McBee is a backup--at best.

You ever notice how Rece Davis (an Alabama guy)says "bottom" a lot when doing highlights? I think John Ward ought to be getting some residual off that. Ward was the greatest BB announcer of all time!

hikerdude writes:

McBee stunk it up again. Maybe Reese can be the three point threat that McBee is supposed to be, and CCM can put McBee on the bench, where he belongs.

jmaples54 writes:

in response to fearthehound:

bruce will be coaching as soon as his "just cause" penalty is over this year. who made sure fearthehound got on here with his negativity, huh? same person. his imaginary friend.

govsvolsfan23 writes:

Lot of negativity after a win. A win is a win. It may be ugly, but it's a win.

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

An ugly win is a win nonetheless. Bottom line they're 8-3, and one of the top teams in the conference. UK is STRUGGLING, and very much beatable. Think this team could win the SEC, cuz this guy thinks so.

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to SevenT:

This UT team plays one UGLY game

And yet they have half the losses UK does...oh, snap!!

underthehill writes:

in response to Sir_Spanky:

I think Vandy lost their entire starting lineup from last year..and did not have a good recruiting class..likely to be rebuilding for a couple of years..even so..I think they beat Xavier on their home court..the way it's looking ..nothing is coming easy for this Vol team without Maymon...but they should handle this Vandy team..