SummittsCourt writes:

in response to volthrunthru#658770:

VolFans, Hellooooooo...

Jones got the new WR because of relationships with former UT players, including the guy's dad. The players did not like Doodley, but Phillip Fulmer has taken a behind-the-scenes interest in this new coach, because Fulmer realizes that UT is in such a deep pit athletically,

due to the Prez's, Cheek's, Hart's, Hamilton's (and the presidents' for the last six years) mismanagement---and board of trustees' majority being on the wrong side of a lot of decisions---

that UT will be a bottom-dweller for another decade, if something is not done. So Fulmer is working behind the scenes.

Note what happens when all the factors would indicate that Jones can close the deal on a recruit that was leaning to UT---kid wants to be a cop, Jones' father was a cop, loved UT, had great visits, etc.

The former Tennessee lean made decisions based on the new former Cincinnati offensive line coach, Jones and the fact that a very, very good offensive line coach was fired by Jones, to bring in this "Best Staff in the U.S.A."

Oh, yeah...

Go Vols! (Thank goodness Fulmer and other long-term VOLS are working behind the scenes to help this new coaching staff. Jones had said he thought he could win in the SEC with State-of-Tennessee athletes. Fulmer explained to him---publicly that UT had to recruit nationally.

Hopefully Fulmer & the Vol Family can help this bunch get ready to coach and recruit in the SEC.

Otherwise UT will could more 2-star rated players from the Cincinnati metro. Maybe that's what they thought Coach Fulmer meant by "recruit nationally."

Optimistic that behind the scenes help---consistent with the NCAA rules, unlike Kiffen---is going on to help this bunch.

You wasted a lot of time writing this drivel and I wasted a lot of time trying to make sense of it. Thanks for nothing.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to oskie_score:

Evan mentions the importance of time...hmmm, so CBJ pursues yet another low-to-average rated O-Lineman and in this case comes up empty. Remind me again how much time he's invested/investing recruiting OG Reeve Koehler (#9 OG Nat'l, #159 in 247's Top 247), a player some thought a one time silent to Tennessee and whose teammate (Goeas) was already committed?
What's that ol' saying, "A bird in the hand..." well, CBJ had two talented birds in his hand. Now Goeas is Lawrence bound and I anticipate Koehler is too. There's concern that Skipper may go elsewhere too.
Recruiting is a programs life blood. NSD is less than 30 days away...proof is in the pudding / results. Fingers crossed for my beloved Vols.

VFL!
Go Vols!

While I agree to an extent, I don't think CBJ and staff liked Goeaz as a LB, so they weren't gonna take him. I'm sure you know that. But Koehler was gonna go where his HS teammate went regardless. They did reach out to Koeler and he had interest, but them not wanting his buddy sealed their fate with him. It sucks, it really does. But in order to get him they would have had to basically take his buddy who they had no use for. Getting the Morris kid from Memphis along with the Wiseman kid who committed would make up for losing Koeler and Skipper IMO. Unfortunately this stuff is all part of coaching changes. And in no way am I being smart towards you Oskie...you good people and know your stuff. This is just my take on it. Playing' devils advocate with ya buddy.

pingkr62 writes:

Maybe he didn't have the grades??? Oh well, it's a decision he will have to live with. He's not the only offensive lineman out there. G.B.O.!!!

Basketvol writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

You're so clearly right. It's time to start up the ole "Fire CBJ" bandwagon. Yeeehaaaw! How about we wait until the first season is over, or the first game, or the first practice? How about NSD? We had a saying when I was a kid, "take a chill pill." That is my suggestion to you.

Basketvol writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

That's why I don't read this one's posts anymore. I finally learned! I would do well to skip a few others also.

cyclonevol87 writes:

in response to marVOLous:

I can see us starting to lose players to these states that have medical marijuana. They just get a doctor's note and then can smoke all the dope they want.

This is the funniest post ever hahahah

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to Ironcity:

Goeas was not a player that fit our system. I am tired of getting players that will never see the field that transfer or sit around like dead weight. Koehler has no relationship with this staff and if we go to a zone blocking scheme then he will not be really effective. Losing guys like this happens all the time when their is a coaching change. Thats the problem with changing coaches every few years. I also like that Jones encouraged (pull schoolys) recruits to look elsewhere that did not fit what he wants to do. Its what needed to be done. he did everyone of those guys a favor.

As for getting a super class immediately, with 80% of the top players already committed, I am not sure why you think Jones is going to walk in to a stud recruits house say hello and convince a guy who he has known for all of an hour to say I am coming to UT when other coaches have invested years to build the trust. Your expectations for this class are idiotic.

As for Clay he was added depth for the short term. I personally like what Jones has done so far. I would be happy if we only sign 22 players if it allowed us to really have a big class next year. Dooley left this team in the crapper just like Kiffin did and just like Fulmer.

Lets see what Jones can do. Their is hope that Dooley was such a bad coach that talent on campus is a lot better then what it showed on the field last year.

Spot on. People don't understand that Dooley very well may have hurt this program more than he helped. On the surface his recruiting looked good. But now that he's gone, recruits, coaches, and parents are starting to talk...and it's not good. And I'm with you....while they were going to Hawaii to give two for one packages, they completely forgot to focus on the 4* guys in Memphis and Chattanooga. Vonn Bell, Frank Herron, Christian Morris, non of which were priorities for Dooley. Jalen Hurd also commented on Dooley's negligence. And this dude could very well be the #1RB in the nation next year outta Hendersonville TN. Good to see you Iron. Been too long brother.

TNVOLNTX writes:

in response to Ironcity:

Very well stated.

Bark_at_the_Moon writes:

He watched Alabama run over Notre Dame and didn't want any of it.

usafvol writes:

in response to easleychuck:

My response to you and the "some of us" that you are speaking for should quit showing your complete lack of knowledge about how the recruiting process works.

Point 1: Teams that have been winning usually do well in the succeeding year of recruiting.

Point 2: Big time football programs that have had 4 head coaches over a 6 year period have to rebuild their entire recruiting process.

Point 3: Assistant coaches do the legwork in recruiting....just how many assistants do YOU think (I will help you....around 45 or so)have been on the road representing UT during the past few years. Relationships are a huge part of the recruiting process. Coach Jones and all but one of his assistants have been on the job a few weeks.

Point 4: All bigtime football powers have amazing facilities. UT just completed their upgrades recently...so many of the kids that have been "recruits" for the past few years never saw the finished product.

Based on what Coach Jones has been doing in the areas of fence mending with the former players, etc. I challenge you to produce any evidence that he is not working hard to bring in "some good recruits" to the university.

Last time I checked, anyone pays for their seats are entitled to well seats. Your decision to pay $5 for a hotdog is oon you.

You bombarded him with logic; kudos!

jt45 writes:

in response to StoneJackBaller:

I'd be willing to bet that this kid smokes pot on a regular basis and fears he would have to give it up to play in the SEC. At Azusa Pacific, the name alone almost invites dope smokers. He's making a lifestyle decision. We're better off without him.

You might want to read up before you post something like that in the future. Azusa Pacific is a christian College, your right about one thing though, he is making a lifestyle decision.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to volthrunthru#658770:

VolFans, Hellooooooo...

Oh, yeah...

Witch Doctor suggest you read warning labels as Abilify and Meth should not be mixed. BUT please dont stop posting them..they good..they realllll good. haha
Bones never lie.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to volthrunthru#658770:

VolFans, Hellooooooo...

Oh, yeah...

Perhaps he did commit here because his dad played here, so did Eric Berry. Funny though, prior to committing here he was committed to Clemson where his brother plays. Guess his brother committed to Clemson because his dad played at UT. See what I did there fella? Dooley ignored him and Butch repaired the damage. Give him credit. Phil didn't do this, Butch did. Butch gets it. On the other hand, we have a slew of boys who's dads played for the Vols in next years class. And if they all "choose UT because of their dads" it will probably net us a top 5 class. This kid you speak of will end up being a FAR bigger get than you could ever imagine at the end of the day. When you take into consideration how many people he just might help pull to UT.

oskie_score writes:

in response to Ironcity:

At present we have one LB commit, Vereen. Goeas is a raw but intelligent player (Sparq score of 101.55 @ NIKE's camp), and a solid ILB in a 4-3.
Looking at who we're recruiting Ball is a Safety / OLB hybrid, Brown is a WDE / OLB, Cunningham is an OLB, Grace is an OLB, and Levenberry if he flipped is an OLB. Goeas is a take along w/ Vereen @ ILB.
Koehler's situation is no different than any other TN commit or recruit going through this coaching transition --- his relationship or lack of is on the staff. And, yes he too would fit in CBJ's system. Personally, I'd like to see Koehler get a look at center.
Your second paragraph begins..."As to getting a super recruiting class immediately..." and then you state "your expectations for this class are idiotic" that statement in and of itself is asinine and ridiculous. Where exactly did I state "my expectations"? Maybe you were confused or confusing me with another?
As for CBJ. I do not question his work ethic (since taking the reigns the man has been a machine) just the manner in which he has handled some situations. As for this recruiting class, here's to a strong finish and obtaining players that fill the need.

LSG410EC83 writes:

in response to TNVOLNTX:

Why all the negativity? The kid was obviously torn between playing for a traditional SEC power versus following his heart and playing for a Christian college. It's not a snub to Tennessee that, in the end, he followed his religious roots and chose the latter. There is no story here.

Excellent point. Hearing some on here talking trash about this young man for no reason at all. Has it ever entered many's mind that some people's spiritual belief's come first. (as they should) Christian values are not popular with many, as can be seen on this message board. Mat 6:24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. So let us not judge lest we be judged. Come on guys, I love UT football just as much as the next, but hey, it is just a game. There will be others that will fill this position. IT IS STILL GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL. GO BIG ORANGE. (Class of 83)

oskie_score writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

No worries, RR, we're good. As for Goeas not being a take, we'll just agree to disagree --- *See my comments to Ironcity.
Enjoy your input, RR. Hope you're having a good New Year.

DavidWebb writes:

I find it hard to believe Clay had a committable offer. He was a back up plan at best. This article title is very deceptive and just another KNS negative UT Football article.

DonK37920 writes:

in response to jt45:

Agree and great post! I read that the kid was into Fellowship of Christian Athletes or something similar. Said he felt more comfortable in Azusa Pacific's environment. Good luck and who can blame him. His decision appears to be about more than just football!

dvhill100 writes:

Can I get an amen?

BruisedOrange writes:

From what I read, sounds to me like the only voice that could persuade him NOT to come to Tennessee was God's.

I can live with that, and I'll bet CBJ can too!

When you're rebuilding, some players are recruited to be pieces, others are recruited to be glue.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Anybody not wanting to play SEC fb is either twitterpated with some female or just not ready for big time college fb.

bobbyutvol writes:

Good luck Cody I wish you well. A long way from home & very little playing time untill next year I can understand his decision. Thank you for considering Tennessee.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I think the Christian School part played a role in it. But it did read that he didn't think he was ready to play in this type of environment. The SEC is a meat grinder. Maybe he just dint want the pressure. I can respect that. Be easy BVB.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to oskie_score:

Enjoy your input, RR. Hope you're having a good New Year.

Goeaz (sp.) is a good player. I wouldn't have been upset if they took him. But I guess the staff didn't want him and I can respect that. As for Koehler (sp.), dude is a beast and a big loss. But I think we'll get Christian Morris who is a better tackle prospect than Skipper. He's also an Army All American like Koehler. Although Koeler is a G or C, Wiseman is a good interior lineman. Not on Koehler's level, but a good player. And with Morris being quite a bit better that Skipper, in the end I view it as a push and it will work out. I really think we get Morris. I don't know what Dooley and crew were thinking with him.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

RR, WTHHYB? Don't stay away that long, I've got to fight for recruiting news without your contributions..Please stay in touch Vol Bro..GBO!

tnoutlaw2001#228008 writes:

I'll try to break it down as simple as possible.

Coach Jones was hired just before the recruiting dead period started. He was able to get a few kids on board, and in a short amount of time, like 1 week (3-5 days).

Then UT had to scramble and set up areas or regions, realizing he was short on time he mentioned in interviews he had to throw that out and jump right in calling and scheduling visits.

UT only had so many visits left for scheduling, and with a change of staff new evaluations come in and new kids show up on your board. Jones had to find out not only did he have a visit to offer but did the kid he was pursuing have one to take. Don't forget these kids only have so many visits they can take even if offered more.

This left Jones with scheduling most if not all the visits at the end of this month, so the next 3 weekends are huge, there will be plenty of 4 and 5 stars on campus for the first time, and most for the first time with UT new staff.

From checking the visit schedule most of the big name are scheduled for the last 2 weekends of January. So keep your fingers crossed and don't give up yet, but we are going down to the wire.

Tru138 writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

You could have saved all that typing by saying I DON'T HAVE A CLUE!!!! You do realize that by comparing their career records PRIOR TO COMING TO THE SEC that Butch Jones has a better win % than did Les Myles, Nick Saban, Steve Spurrier don't you? Check their records prior to coaching in the SEC and get back at me. You do know this kid was being offered as an insurance policy in case we miss on some bigger guys don't you? It's late in the game and he has to do what he has to do to assemble a class. And I know some won't believe it, but under Dooley, this class wasn't gonna be that great. It was probably gonna be outside of the top 25. People were starting to see that Dooley's product he was saling just didn't match up with our competitors. He was failing MISERABLY in-state. Not only this year, but next year as well.

I'm sure you don't have a clue who all will be here for official and unofficial visits over the next month, do you? Guys like Christian Morris the big 4* OT from Memphis, UCLA commit who Dooley basically ignored. Now it's looking like he'll more than likely flip to us after he visits. CBJ has gotten us in a VERY good position with the #2 player in the Nation DE Carl Lawson along with stud RB Alvin Kamara. There is a chance we land these guys. There was ZERO chance under Dooley. That's a fact. In fact, our newest commit from Ga is really good friends with Kamara and Lawson. So much that Lawson changed his visit from the 11th to the 18th so they can all 3 come together. Our newest commit was huge in the sense that he's very connected and respect by many top players and by de-commuting from Clemson to us has opened some eyes, has players wondering what's going on at UT. He has generated momentum for us. We are also back in it for Frank Herron 4* DE from Memphis, current LSU commit. He's another one Dooley completely dropped the ball on even though he had interest. After speaking with CBJ he has stated that he is in fact VERY INTERESTED in what Tennessee has to offer and wants to get up here to visit.

I see where someone above posted that we only got our newest commit because "his dad played for UT". LOL, really? Perhaps that's why he was a Clemson committ and his brother plays for Clemson. He said himself that Dooley didn't show him much love, kid grew up loving UT. Butch has also repaired the relationships with the rest of the Vol Legacies in next years class that Dooley very well might not have gotten. Evan and Elliot Berry, Dillon Bates, Nieko Creamer, Isaiah McDaniel, Todd Kelly Jr. These dudes are all blue chip players, a couple will be 5*s, and all love Butch Jones. I can assure you as of late, recruits, HS coaches, and parents haven't had glowing reports on Dooley and his arrogance. Butch Jones is laying the ground work for a top 15-20 class this year. He's laying the groundwork for a top 5-10 class next year. This isn't opinion, it's fact. So do us all a favor. Do some research before you smash the coach.

Excellent.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

The whole Dooley fiasco wore me out man. I'll chime in now and again. KNS doesn't give much of a reason to be here either.

jcp201 writes:

Sometimes people just dont fit in and aren't comfortable.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to jcp201:

Sometimes people just dont fit in and aren't comfortable.

Witch Doctor say probably him being all "real" Christian he scared the poo out of most in Knoxville! hahaha
Bones never lie.

senracjr writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

oh dear lord. the 'ol "how many college games have you coached and won?" garbage. Guess what....I'm no plastic surgeon, but I know a bad boob job when I see one!!!

I don't have to be a college coach to recognize a good recruiting class vs a bad one, and neither do you.

Rumblefish
Did you fall off a turnip truck and hit your head or were you born Stupid?

AllforTenn writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

You are absolutely the dumbest person on here.

FanNotSheep writes:

Let me get this straight… the guy is a Christian pothead who wants to surf? Or is he a football player who is afraid to play football? Or does anyone on this site even know a thing about the guy?

I don't know him and wouldn't judge him if I did. But I don't think you have to go to California to smoke pot. In fact I hear they grow, sell and smoke plenty of it right here in East Tennessee.

Regardless, I don't think it's any of my business what school anyone decides to go to. If they come to UT and play for the Vols I will cheer them on. Even if they smoke a little pot along the way. Of course no one did anything as evil as smoking pot back in the 70s when I was in school. BTW, if I was able to attend a college with a beach nearby at his age I would rather do that than smell the armpits of Alabama linemen.

rb4346 writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

You actually think Butch Jones is doing a good job recruiting??? Get real.

Yes I do think he is doing a good job recruiting, we will see on NSD. The thing about you is you would moan and complain if he wound up with a top ten class. Come on and get behind the program, whether you want to believe it or not, this program has some great kids and coaches. Give them a chance!

cgbtn writes:

Hyams was on 104.5, The Zone, in Nashville yesterday (Monday) morning. He said CBJ had not offerred Clay. He said they liked the size he had grown into, but they were deciding whether he had SEC skills. Since CBJ can't comment on recruits, I'm going to guess they decided he did not. I'd say he took the best offer he had.

SouthTexasVol writes:

He's doesn't want to leave home. home being calif.

lstbodeanvol writes:

in response to DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho:

So Jones is offering kids that can't hang in the SEC? Interesting...

I didnt know Jones offered you a scholly ???? big mistake for sure Richard

voldog70 writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor say facts kinda twisted to write this..slanted? Why KNS ? Witch Doctor doubt you can stand more loss in subscribers. Witch Doctor say time to do things different over there.
Bones never lie.

I agree with WD. I miss the days of the Knoxville Journal, Ben Byrd and Tom Siler. If only a hundred or so subscribers would cancel their subscriptions and give the reason due to the negatives articles written by their staff or if people wouldn't buy the paper for a month or so, better results may be in the future.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to Snapshot:

Just how do you know Fulmer is "working behind the scenes"?

Fulmer is not the coach anymore. He is not recruiting for UT, behind the scenes or otherwise, in my opinion.

If Fulmer is recruiting behind the secenes,he will have us on probation. If you are not a coach or player,you are violating NCAA rules.

If I am wrong,I welcome a correction.

As a doner and season ticket holder,I recieve a letter each year telling me I am not to get involved in recruiting as it would be an NCAA violation.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

It's a shame that Dooley is so in your head that you cannot make a post without mentioning him. Coach Jones has only been on the job for a month. I realize that no matter who might have been hired you are going to stir the pot but maybe think about at least giving him until the O & W game before you start your anti Jones diatribes

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to born2ride:

Gosh, it is one thing for a UT coach to lose recruits to Bama and Florida but Azusa Pacific?

You have to have something before you can lose something.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

Good post Rich. You obviously subscribe to troll free Volquest

Snapshot writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Is it true you are the brother of legendary Vol Richmond Flowers?

redskinvol1 writes:

Calm down everyone.The best staff in the country told a player that is not SEC material to go look somewhere else.The best staff in the country will surely land a top fifteen class this year and Cody was not good enough to make the cut.Go Vols!!

Orangeblood13 writes:

42md to 25, Rome wasnt built in a day, Mr. Jones will do what he can.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

Nobody expects any recruiting class at any school to just "materialize".

However, some of us (myself included) expect the head coach at Tennessee to work hard and bring in some good recruits by doing so. Some of us (myself included) have bought enough tickets and $5 hot dogs to contribute to the new/fancy facilities at UT to help bring in good recruits.

Totally agree. We expected Jones to earn his salary and, if people are honest and objective, they would admit that he isn't recruiting well. The recruiting services aren't impressed and Jones isn't winning battles for any kid that has an offer from Muschamp or Saban. I shouldn't have to explain why winning those battles is important, but I'm sure someone will ask that question.

Still, after three years of Dooley apologetics, what do you expect from most of these posters? They ignored reality and kept saying stuff like "Dooley needs more time," "Sunseri is a great upgrade," or "losing most of our staff to lateral jobs is actually a good thing."

Jones isn't recruiting well enough to compete in the SEC or the SEC east. Sorry to everyone who thinks that he is, but he isn't. Maybe tomorrow he turns it around, but today he isn't getting it done.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to HopeisNotaCourseofAction:

My comment was not a reflection on the coach, he can't know for sure what is in this kid's melon. Coach is coming in late, having to grasp for whatever scraps may be left or try and turn some kids who have said they are going elsewhere. He must have thought he could coach this kid up, but we'll never know.

This kid was a recruiting table scrap, had no long list of other schools after him. Let's keep it real, not like a 5* walked away after "leaning UT".

Azusa is the best fit for him in his opinion, and his is really the only one that counts.

So if he told Butch he was ready to play big boys ball, but inside knew he was not, "Hello Azusa, look at me - I turned down the Univ of Tennessee to play for your proud and glorious football program, now pass me those knee britches and some mo taters and gravy!"

Oooh, I see now. Jones is offering kids that are "table scrapp[s]." That's much better. We should be competing for championships in no time.

DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho writes:

in response to pcorange:

Who cares? I didn't think we needed to go after a kid who was choosing between UT, UConn, and Azusa wherever the hell it is anyway. We ought to be going toe to toe with Bama, SC, and the like, not looking down to kids like this one. Just my opinion.

But the UConn and Azusa kids are the ONLY kids actually considering UT. Butch Jones is doing the best he can to pull in the "table scraps" of the football recruiting world. But don't worry, if the Derek Dooley saga has taught us anything, it's that there is absolutely, positively no way that you can evaluate a coach in his first year coaching at any given job. Unless, of course, you only evaluate the positive things.

oskie_score writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

ILB depth is thin --- we're an injury or academic suspension away from trouble. There's AJ, Bynum, & Fugate. Harris could play but needs to bulk up. Hell, we'll need to move King back (from TE) to help fill the void. Letting both Goeas and Zanca (1st Team All-State in FL's toughest class) go is a mistake. IMO. Look at who we're currently targeting --- they're OLB's and DE's, not an ILB among 'em.

As for Morris, I'm w/ you there and I hope CBJ can turn/flip him. Should never have gotten to this point, Koehler (G/C), Morris (T), Sanders (T), and Skipper (T) should be tied up/committed.
Another G would be nice, and hope we flip Brad Henson or pull Josh Outlaw to Tennessee.
We need 4-5 O-Linemen after taking 0 in 2012, would love this pull...
Morris - T
Koehler - G/C
Henson - G
or
Outlaw - G
Sanders - T
Skipper - T

easleychuck writes:

in response to DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho:

Probably the least intelligent of all your dribbling posts and that is saying something.