VOLPhan writes:

Tee Martin - 6'2"

Rumblefish writes:

If the kid could play big time football, there would be more schools than UT interested in him....regardless of his height.

So let's just stop knocking Butch Jones and company for not recruiting someone that nobody else wants.

Good lord...how low have expectations come!

movol53 writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

Good lord...how low have expectations come!

That is NOT necessarily true. There's a QB with San Fran that was only recruited by one college after high school seems he is doing OK. He may even make it to the Super Bowl on his first try.

eVOLved writes:

I'll be debbie downer: every high school graduate has to figure out that they are not actually the phooey, even if they were the phooey in high school. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he would do nothing but win games as a UT QB

kcbigorngX writes:

Manzeil, Tee Martin, and the 49ers QB can outrun 99% of the defensive players. If Mr High could do this he would already have a scholly somewhere.

By the way, do any of you girls really believe that Adams gives a dookie about UT's football program?

FanNotSheep writes:

Hate to bust everyone's bubbles here, but it won't matter who the QB at Tennessee is if he has no one to throw the ball to, no SEC-caliber running backs to hand off to, and no defense to keep the other team from scoring 50 points a game. Regardless of the Jimmy Hyams disciples who hate Tyler Bray because he wasn't the rah rah type and because he acted like a teenager from time to time, he was a very talented passer. Without him and the guys he threw to that are all heading to the NFL next season, UT football would have been unwatchable the past couple of years.

Best of luck to High. UT might be making a mistake. But they need a bunch of 4-star defensive linemen and linebackers. They need to find some great receivers who are ready to start in 2013 and it sure would help if the next Jamal Lewis is on the roster somewhere. But I don't think he is.

I do think UT is in trouble. I see maybe 4 or 5 wins with the upcoming schedule. I see a staff that must recruit a top 5 class next year and the year after that if they hope to be around here long enough to know whether they screwed up in passing on Mr. High.

DRORANGELOVE writes:

in response to exlineman:

What so many of you fans are forgetting some kids from high school to college take a growth spell and grow 3- 4 inches.

the young man has the heart to play for the vols and one comment that stood out with me, was his accuracy of completions. This kind of accuracy is better than most of the big boys. What was Bray's high school stats and others?
I say give the young man a chance. I notice another local quarterback that strayed to Vanderbilt and wanted to play for UT. You might remember Pat Robinette, who is doing quite well according to an article written this week. I think either Alcoa or Maryville had a kicker that we failed to get is doing great somewhere else.

These 4 and 5 star players that everybody seems to want so bad aren't always 5 star players. I beleive we have experienced that on several occasions. Give me a 3 star anyday over Darick Rogers and some of the failures who have failed here at Tn.

I agree with your comments. I can also see by your comments that you are exactly the kind of player I would have recruited when I coached.

Give me a player who has the heart, desire, and " WANTS " to play for his/her coach and the team he/her is playing with and get a coaching staff who will coach him up and make him be all that he can be and you will have a winning team who exceeds its talent level.

Give me a roster made up of 3 & 4 star " TEAM " players who want to be there over a team made up of 5 star " ALL ABOUT ME " players who just want to play long enough to get big PRO bucks and leave the rest of their team and teamates hanging out to dry. Teams made up of those players hardly ever reach their level of talent, let alone exceed it.

Rumblefish writes:

in response to movol53:

you're talking about the exception...not the rule. and that's what tennessee doesn't need to be betting on right now with all the lack of talent that jones isn't recruiting.

leedsvol2007 writes:

This is a difficult call with High. There have been cases like Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers and others that did not have all the qualifications but simply got the job done.

I read the book Johnny U about John Unitas the hall of fame quarterback and I believe one the 10 greatest to play quarterback during my lifetime. He was rejected by Notre Dame and luckily played for Weeb Ewbank at Louisville. Ewbank signed him when he was Baltimore's coach and he proved to be a great player. He weighed only 135 lbs at High School graduation.

But there is also the case of Chip Howard who was a Parade All American quarterback from Knoxville around 1969. He had the skills but lacked the size and eventually ended up at UT as a back-up receiver after starting a few games for us in 1971 at quarterback.

We can only bring in 25 and with the needs we have at all positions can we afford to gamble?

I would say he ought to be an invited walk-on and if he proves himself be given the first available scholarship.

If he makes it what a story that would be and he would get continuing attention as a result. It would be great for him he would gain a lot of media attention and it would enable us to sign 25 and help with the rebuilding of the program.

GoVols!

exlineman writes:

in response to DRORANGELOVE:

Dr. Orangelove, I can remember that the great Gen. Neyland almost made the same mistake with Johnny Majors because he was considered too small to play in the Sec. I would imagine a few coaches along the way reminded the great Neyland of this as time went along.

If Coach Jones needs to fill his quota with a 5 star, then go ahead, but at least invite High as a walk on. I beleive Bill Bates, JJ McCleskey, Nick Reveiz and many others were small guys.

Coach, appreciate the compliment, I did play with heart when I was considered small and grew during my freshmen to sr. yr. in college. Playing with all heart and talent in this day and time is a remarkable accomplishment for a player with all of the distractions, they have to face.

Central_IL_Vol writes:

As I recall, Andy Kelly was not highly recruited and he was a pretty good QB for the Vols. Wouldn't it be interesting if a hometown QB got a chance to play at Tennessee and led the Vols to an SEC East Title?

BigBadVol writes:

More and more trolls join this site everyday. It's time to change forums.

UTFab5 writes:

To all you people on here who say thet we should not give him a scholly because of this reason and that reason need to read the threads again from most of these posters. They are saying give the kid a shot and see if he can earn a scholarship.

DRORANGELOVE writes:

in response to exlineman:

Coaching players like you made coaching a pleasurable and satisfying job.
I have NO DOUBT that you were a winner as a player and are a winner in LIFE. If you have children I'm sure they have grown up to be a credit to you and their community. God Bless

GBO

dvols writes:

maybe he can earn an acedemic scholly, and then walk-on at UT, if good enough he would be rewarded a full ride....

that is called earning it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

volwnukes writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor not hating on this kid and if he wants to walk on and try as NGage and Jack4444 suggested. Witch Doctor worried about recruiting that ONLY offers 2-3* kids..(?) Witch Doctor not a star gazer but EVEN Dooley went after big fish. Witch Doctor QUICKLY losing faith in Coaches that dont believe enough to even OFFER some big fish a scholly?????? Witch Doctor not being TOO TOO negative but this a GREAT concern..we dont need 25 3*'s to refill what we are losing..Witch Doctor just sayin'
Bones never lie.

We're only recruiting 2-3*'s. Hmm. I guess I missed the article that Carl Lawson being on campus this weekend was a hoax like Teo's girlfriend. Also I guess us being in Derrick Green's final two is a hoax too. Man I'm so uninformed. What about North, Morris, or Boyd? Are they not gonna be on our campus the 25th?? I wish I would quit being lied to.

volboy81 writes:

in response to NGage:

UT should ask him to come in as an invited walk-on, and tell him they will give him a chance to prove himself for a future scholarship.

I agree! 3 ET boys were given a scholarship this week who walked on at UT. Ive watch High play for 2 plus years and Im like Rusty Bradley, I just dont get why no D1 schools are after him. He is SO accurate and has such poise and presence on the football field. Best of luck to you Charlie, Id love to see you in orange the next 4 years!

Dalton writes:

in response to Central_IL_Vol:

Parade All-American at punter..but also highly recruited at QB...that Rhea County team was a beast..my Red Bank team knew he could play..firsthand