tan007 writes:

Great win for the Vols! Thanks to Coach Martin for contacting the SEC about the officials. There have been some pretty ugly games this year all around.

VolGrad writes:

in response to tree_em_smokey:

Stokes did leave his feet but his feet were already back on the ground and he was stationary when the bama player jumped into him, thus the no-call. GBO!!!

Dykes really was starting to irritate me in this game. What's his beef against UT anyway?

I don't remember him always being like this. He had several really subjective negative remarks towards us in this one. That one at the end was close but not worthy of a "game-changer" call. Bama just failed to get a shot off, period.

ronburgundy (Inactive) writes:

Well, a wins a win no matter how ugly. And a no call goes our way for a change. As the barber always says...Next!

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

This Vol fan's smilin'! Congrats on the win Vols! Stokes finally acting like the big man he is. Hope he remembers this and keeps doing it!

volspaws writes:

in response to jamgod:

Anybody with a 1/4 of a brain saw that the alabubba dude jumped into stokes....good job on the refs for not calling that and who cares what an alabubba fan thinks, they lost the game!! Anyways, is Jimmy Dykes just plain against Tenn, anytime he calls a Tenn games it seems like he wants to get all cuddly with the other teams bench. Give it a break dude!

A little less Jimmy Dykes would make the world a better place

maciste54 writes:

About danged time the Vols got a break or call to go their way. They're still way behind on catching up.

redskinvol1 writes:

That was a man rebound!!

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to SevenT:

In spite of the TB Home Cookin that was a good win. I can't wait until Kentucky goes down there and shuts the hunter orange up.

Just saying

Any team down 1 in the final 11 seconds that settles for a corner 3 instead of taking it hard to the hoop and scoring or drawing a foul doesn't deserve to win. Poor execution on Bama's part.

shoelessvol#236864 writes:

The BEAST had a great game today...Stokes is back!! When the refs allow the big men to play Stokes can be a MONSTER. Nice comeback by the Vols!!

carbonzip writes:

Golden was a major factor in the win just getting the ball up the court.

lomas98 writes:

Played well enough to win at Bama, ky, and ole miss. All 3 were losses. Didn't play well today until final 5 minutes and found a way to win. So is life in conference play. I don't think stokes fouled on the final play, but can you imagine the meltdown on here if that was McRae shooting and anybody on ky guarding him at rupp. A very different opinion by everyone on here if the same call was made. Glad they won today when they really didn't play well.

BackAShoneysnFleas writes:

in response to golfman1975:

New glasses for you! Stokes was totally vertical and the Bama guy jumped into him. He has a right to his position and should have been an offensive foul if anything.

I think Stokes leaned into the Bama player because he was trying to see if that was Jon Gruden sitting next to Peyton Manning, Dave Hart and Jimmy Haslam.

movol53 writes:

in response to carbonatedmilk:

I do agree that the roster is depleted; one main player out for the season and two more that get playing time are playing hurt: McBee and Golden. Another thing that comes to mind; CCM is working with players left over from Bruce that Bruce did not used much as they were mostly bench warmers. CCM has recruited a couple and so far they have been good: Stokes and the freshman guard. Give CCM some more time before stating he can't coach or put together a winning team. I don't like losing either but CCM IS the Head Coach and I will support him and the team. Bobby Knight once said sometimes its better to be lucky than good.

Snapshot writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

Sure looked like a foul but officials never lose a game for either side. Good game and move on.

Hard to believe Coach Bryant has been gone 30 years today. RIP Coach Bryant. Roll Tide

Come on chatterbox, if you are going to be a bammer troll and post first, you are going to have to be quicker on the keyboard!

Coach who?? Oh, you mean the coach who started the bama tradition of cheating and corruption, is that the one?

bobe4544 writes:

in response to 8inarow:

Cuonzo for Coach of the Year!

You have got to be kidding. This guy cannot coach. He just got lucky today.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

A win is a win..This makes up for the bad finish at bammer and it couldn't have come at a better time for UT..A loss today would have been devastating to the psyche of this team..Great win CCM & Vols!!

rusty_shackleford writes:

Cuonzo, please recruit a point guard before you too are coaching WRs for the Dallas Cowboys.

1vavolfan writes:

in response to jamgod:

I thought Dykes sounded a little pro-Bama myself, the last play looked like Lacey shot into Stokes which is never called, especially in the closing seconds, and Dykes was going on about a foul. That being said I would take him over Vitale any day and generally think Dykes does a good job. My 12 year old son asked for his autograph before the Memphis game and he was very kind and spent a good amount of time speaking to him so he's ok in my book.

rb4346 writes:

in response to Scoon:

A Christmas gift in January!! A late NO-CALL on a mawlin. Merry Christmas!

If there was a foul it should have been against the Alabummer player. You have been listening to Jimmy Dykes way to to much.

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

nothing wrong with Dykes----giving an opinion that may not go in Tenn favor is not pro-bama-----to the tenn fans, not referencing you, who are paranoid and always thinking the commentators are against us as they arent--just calling them as they see them---they should just limit their listening to the homer broadcasting crew instead of the tv broadcasts so their feelins dont ever get hurt-----------90% of the posts here are generally critical but a commentator says anything not positive then so many want to claim he dont like us, unbelievable around here the whinning about the commentators dont like us and the referees are always against us

smokeygrowl writes:

This was still hard to watch. Most boring basketball since o 'neil Its truly hard to watch this team. Its not fun at all. We don't get up and down like we could wasting Kenny Halls athletic ability as well as other players like Moore. Always let the D get back and setup then one player dribbles the ball to death tryin to get shot off.Stokes has a terrible habit of putting ball on floor before he shoots. He has to take a dribble every time to gather himself Martin should have broken this habit in practice. Im grateful for the win don't get me wrong but the coaching is horrible. McBee looks like anything but an SEC guard nowadays. Golden has regressed to the point that he can't make a free throw when we need it. I suppose a real point guard would help tremendously. i thought Moore was a point guard but he isn't either. Boring team.

smokeygrowl writes:

in response to movol53:

Golden is not quick LOL. If they are hurt they need to be on the bench. People are supporting Martin but we are seeing problems with his coaching that a JR Pro coach could correct. Hope he keeps licking his fingers and drinking his water all the way to the NIT

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to 1vavolfan:

1Vavolfan,

Agree about Vitale. The poor guy can't help his over bearing voice.........but it's non stop babbling for 40 minutes. As big a game as the N C State vs UNC game was........to see who was on the mike was disappointing.

While the game was rolling very intensely toward the end, along with the roar of the crowd, you could hear Vitale jabbering about his "all-time state of North Carolina players."

We were spoiled with a great announcer.......John Ward.

in response to orangecountyvols:

Exactly John. Stokes showed some poise at the end by keeping his arms straight up. Wish you could have seen it live,and do hope you'll be able to see a replay version.

That play is the hot subject right now. And yes, Jimmy Dykes is probably disappointed, as was Vitale the other night when Miami schooled Duke.

Tennessee plays awfully disjointed, but they will still claw and scrap and will make a play when you least expect it.

Teams are killing us shooting these 3's.
Something Tennessee is having an awfully hard time doing. We are seeing games where after 10-15 minutes, the Vols have scored 7 or 8 points etc. We'll be shooting something like 2 for 10 or 12.

Watching this game, we'd see the Vols moving down the floor and suddenly Bama was heading with the ball in the other direction after either a steal or our missed shots.

It's next year of course, but will we have in Hubbs....a guy who can dribble the ball?

Any comments from RTRchatt?

To me, the most encouraging thing about the last few games, even the losses, was that the Vols have cut WAY down on the number of 3-pointers per game. It seems they have FINALLY learned that they are not good 3-point shooters as a team, and their best bets are to drive it and pass it inside. No question the ball handling has to improve if they are to win any more games. Plenty of room for improvement in almost every aspect of the game, but they surely haven't quit trying and scrapping yet.

TheEffect writes:

Alabama got jobbed on that last second assault by Stokes. Anthony Grant should make a call to the SEC Director of Officials about this!!

BackAShoneysnFleas writes:

in response to yabadabadoo1026:

yaba, out of +70 posts, there were probably only one or two others besides mine & yours that didn't sound like Dale Gribble on "King of the Hill" with their conspiracy theories about how the commentators are against Tennessee. It is simply astounding how I can watch the same game as so many other people and come to such different conclusions about things. I'm really glad Tennessee won the game, but that doesn't stop me from seeing what I saw. I don't always agree with the refs or the commentators, but on the last play, Stokes leaned into that Bama Guy. I saw it - he was NOT vertical, he leaned into the guy. I wouldn't have noticed it until Dykes said it during the replay. I'm glad he got away with it, but it WAS a foul.

in response to 1vavolfan:

Since I couldn't get the game on my cable today, I didn't hear Dykes' commentary. He is somewhat opinionated--and what are the odds that a color analyst would be opinionated?!--but I have always considered him pretty knowledgeable in the past. He has a way of informing the listener without getting bogged down in minutiae that mean little to the casual fan but gives even the seasoned fan food for thought. I too would prefer Dykes over Vitale every day and twice on Sunday!

golfman1975 writes:

in response to BackAShoneysnFleas:

We all made observations...ours are just different than yours. Just look at the replay.

CoverOrange writes:

Does anybody know where to get a replay showing the end court view? That angle showed how close Stokes was and whether the shooter leaned or Stokes leaned. Unfortunately, KNS and UTSports don't have it.

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to 8inarow:

Cuonzo for Coach of the Year!

Well, if it isn't the "golf-cart" cartell's biggest cheerleader.

Vol43 writes:

Where's Bruce?

CoverOrange writes:

in response to TheEffect:

Did you see him smiling at the end?

golfman1975 writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Did you see him smiling at the end?

As a Vol fan I feel we need to give the win to Alabama...after all...we cheated!

Not.

golfman1975 writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Did you see him smiling at the end?

Did you think he would get weepy?

decades_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to TheEffect:

Easy there, E. You know that no visiting team would get that call at Rupp. I don't think you're really being serious on this post at all. Surely not. No LSU player would have got that last-second call at Rupp today. And for good reason. You've got to commit a "this-is-the-NBA playoffs" type of foul to get that call at the end of the game.

oldster writes:

Every one who has complained about how Coach Martin interacts with the officials should note how much more able Stokes was able to play in the game immediately following his public complaint. He is quiet and boring, I admit, but the man knows what he is doing (I just do not like the style that he knows about). Stokes actually played like his hype for the first time. Did you see that one armed rebound that he pulled away from two Bama players? That may be the greatest rebound I have ever seen! Keep it up, Jarnell, and improve that free throw shooting.

mlynn1 writes:

in response to smokeygrowl:

Damn, glad Tennessee won, would hate to here you if they would have lost.

TheFuj writes:

Take the win. Was not pretty, but bottom line is TN did better than the other team on the court today. Had less turnovers, even though ball handling is still a big issue. Missed clutch free throws, but still better than AL today.
McBrick should have red shirted as well--if his elbow is the problem with his shooting.
Even with the win, this team is just so hard to watch.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to TheEffect:

You need to watch the replay buddy!! Stokes actually turned his back to the shot as it was going up..Lacy was out of control, lost the ball going up and did the only thing he could do which was jump into Stokes and make an academy award winning landing..Hard to call a foul when the defenders hands are nowhere near Lacy,s arms unless Stokes grew arms out of his back

tan007 writes:

in response to licknpromise777#651578:

You nailed that one! We watched it replay over & over on the Jumbo-tron. Stokes didn't foul him. lacey was behind Stokes & made an off balance attempt at a shot & fell down. No non-call this time.

tan007 writes:

in response to TheFuj:

Even with the win, this team is just so hard to watch.

I enjoyed watching the team play. It was a great atmosphere with an exciting finish. So happy to see our players go off the court smiling. They have had some tough breaks but havnt given up. I plan to be there to see them beat Vandy on Tuesday.

usnavyvolfan_on_duty writes:

Here's the thing. I'm normally inclined to push the "blame the refs" button...but one has to wonder. UT went about 10 minutes or so into the first half without a foul being called on them. If there were no validity to CCM's complaint, why did the number of foul calls drop like they did? Anyway, glad they pulled one out yesterday. And I guess I owe CCM an apology, because I sold him short after the Ole' Miss loss. i was hoppin' mad like a lot of folks were but Coach called Bama's final play, and had the cajones to call out the refs on Stokes. Apparently he's smarter than many (including myself) maybe gave him credit for.

usnavyvolfan_on_duty writes:

in response to usnavyvolfan_on_duty:

Stupid me...should read "NOT normally inclined...." never was a writing expert. LOL.

TheFuj writes:

in response to tan007:

Good for you. It was good to see them smiling. Had half the turnovers as previous game, so that helped.
Need the Vandy win as they are not very good.

underthehill writes:

in response to oldster:

bama had 22 team rebounds..Stokes had 18..Moore was next with 7..Moore has raw talent that we are just now getting to see..as he gets more experience..I think UT fans will be pleasantly surprised that Martin spotted this guy when other D 1 schools did not see it..he looks to me like he has already passed Richardson and is the best of the young guys..some have expressed Stokes does not look like an NBA prospect..Stokes can play in the NBA on his rebounding skills alone..he is a Wes Unseld type..

HtownVol writes:

I will say that sometimes I think CCM is a good coach but sometimes I just dont understand some things his team does.

Tennessee is the worst team I have ever seen at a simple pass. That should be coachable, but it comes back in every game. McRae is the worst and Golden is awful also. VS Bama i can remember at least 6-7 possesions given away because UT just threw the ball to the other team when if they were concentrating it would not happen.

Last thing..
Anyone else notice that Stokes is SO MUCH BETTER when he catches the ball and goes right into his move. If he holds the ball for more than 2 seconds it will end bad. I have noticed that he seems to be trying to pass the ball when the double team comes but he does not want to. If he would just be quicker in getting into his moves or be able to pass the ball to an open man then he would be so hard to stop.

(just a question, if McBee cant make anything, why is he playing??? at least give a pump fake and get 3 FT's a couple times per game, you know he can get a defender in the air)

GO VOLS

wilk58 writes:

in response to HtownVol:

Last thing..

GO VOLS

Good question. He is playing like he believes he doesn't belong on the court. Lack of confidence.

tan007 writes:

in response to smokeygrowl:

Apparently you were not at the game. Thompson Boling was rocking! Most exciting game in a long time. Great fun to watch!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

I know UT played bad overall, but they still won a game they probably should have lost. I have to give the team/coaching staff credit for not giving up and playing hard for 40 minutes. Let's face facts, they are limited athletically and depth wise. McRae is the only one that can create a shot (I know Golden can at times) but, the rest of the team positions for set shots and usually get their shot blocked etc. In other words: they are not very good and it takes everything for them to win a game. Here's hoping they can continue this winning streak against Vandy..GBO!

in response to HtownVol:

Last thing..

GO VOLS

A number of good points here. The team does not seem to understand that you have to pass the ball crisply and step toward it on the catch EVERY TIME. You can't just act like, "Well, I'm done with it; YOU take it and do something" and just sort of OOMPH the ball in the general direction of a teammate. Reminds me of Jimmy Dykes talking about "high-school Harry" plays.

I have said all season that Stokes needs to move around more. If he just camps on the block waiting for a pass that is seldom on target, he can't do anything with it because he always gets mobbed down there. When he is around the foul line area, it is easier to pass it to him, he gets to handle it more often so he doesn't feel like he has to do something with it every time he gets it, and he has more choices both for his own moves and more options for passing it. After passing it, he can always roll toward the basket for offensive rebounds like he was doing yesterday. Glad to see he is doing more of that and he needs to KEEP doing it.

I have been as disappointed as anyone else in Skylar's failure to diversify his game a bit in four years. There just aren't that many players in all of college basketball who have mastered the simple art of the shot fake; they nearly all feel they have to shoot quick to get over a guy who is flying out at them. If you have to shoot quick to get off an outside shot, you probably shouldn't be taking it in the first place.