RLL59 writes:

In my comment above, I mentioned a specific instance of a player getting a start and only playing a few minutes. I was not referring to a situation where a senior was playing her last home game, but I also cannot verify that my memory is correct. I was referring to Sidney Smallbone in her junior year, where she started 3 games. The instances where a starter was benched have certainly occurred but normally not to the extreme case I stated.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

According to WebMD partial meniscectomy takes 4-6 weeks to recover but meniscus repair takes 3-6 months. Any docs in the building?

jt45 writes:

in response to RLL59:

Suggestions have been made over time that Kamiko fell out of favor with the coaching staff early in her career, and that situation has persisted. The 'story' I refer to simply means that what really caused the issues hasn't been published and may not ever be. The 'punishment' philosophy was demonstrated over the past several years by putting a recalcitrant player on the bench and starting the last person on the bench, and playing her for a few minutes, and then removing her probably for the remainder of the game; an insult and an embarrassment to both players involved. Quick removal of a player from the game because of a mistake is another example. We've all witnessed these. Rumors are that players who don't play hard enough at practice don't get playing time regardless of their likely contributions during the actual games. These aren't necessarily wrong approaches; they are based on a philosophy that these actions result in better players...which one can argue for or against. Without a better or official explanation for Kamiko's playing time being less than less skilled players, some, including me, have speculated the 'dog house' explanation makes sense.

Do you think politics or pressure from outside influences might also come into play at times ? I know this sometimes happens at the high School level. You also have to wonder if recruiting promises are made that sometimes cannot be fullfilled. Talent and work ethics dont always count as much as they should in Sports it seems at times these days.

As for Kamiko, I think she is a great player on a team that is loaded with great players and honestly ive not seen enough of her playing to know if she should have been starting. I do know that she has spent alot of her time at UT healing from injuries and we are just now getting to see what she can do when healthy. I know she had some great moments last year especially with her passing skills.

RLL59 writes:

I haven't even heard much about what type of promises are made in recruiting, but I would think that coaches wouldn't guarantee playing time.

Kamiko is probably the only Lady Vol who has the potential to substantially improve her value to the team as the season winds down. I don't know if her contributions could be enough to enable the team to pull some upset(s) in the tournament, but I don't see any other avenue to get there.

ljlongtimevolfan writes:

It’s great to see Kamiko get some long overdue recognition for her basketball talents and leadership. I admire her more than any student athlete to wear an Orange Jersey at the University that I can remember. Kamiko has been in the doghouse so long but she has endured it and will be a better educated young lady for sticking it out and getting her degree. It seems they did everything they could to get rid of her by embarrassing her with no playing time, pulling her out of games, in her face chewing outs on the sideline. It seems they did everything other than pulling her scholarship. Not so much this season under Coach Warlick but the previous seasons it reminded you of basic training in the military forty years ago where the Drill Instructor would pick out a person and rag on and whip upon them all during boot camp and would pick another person to praise all through boot camp before the platoon. Example Kamiko could do no right (punishment) and Simmons can do no wrong (grandiose praise and darling of their PR machine). An example on a road trip last season Kamiko came off the bench in the Alabama game playing so well that she was named the Player of the Game but the next game in Athens against Georgia she didn’t get into the game. During warm ups I said to some Vol fans sitting around me that I bet Kamiko would be punished for the previous good game and they all agreed and sure enough it happened. No offense to Massengale but she was named a starter before ever setting foot on the campus. How disrespectful to Kamiko knowing she will not be allowed to even compete for the job.

I have never heard Kamiko say a bad word about the program or coaches and she seems to be such a good teammate.

Kamiko could have transferred and been a starter at any other school in the country but she stayed and lived up to her commitment for which I congratulate her.

I hope Coach Warlick continues to start Kimiko or at least give her more playing time. It seems Coach Warlick and her staff has recognized Kamiko’s skills more this season and they need to give her more deserved playing time since she is one of our best defensive and all around basketball players.

It’s almost a joke between many Lady Vol fans that I know who talk about her lack of playing time with such skills she possess. Ray Charles can see this!!!

But with her degree and talents Kamiko has a lot of options after the Lady Vol Basketball season whether it’s playing in the WNBA, on a European Team or her chosen career. I have enjoyed watching her play. Hopefully the Lady Vols win the Regular Season Title, SEC Toournament Title and go deep into the NCAA Tourny.

underthehill writes:

in response to ljlongtimevolfan:

longtime fan..you have cleared up a lot of things for me..thanks..and yes ..Ray Charles can see it..and I agree Kamiko will have her talents acknowledged by the WNBA and I wish her the best and hope ..as you do the Lady Vols go undefeated in the SEC and do something special in the NCAA..the only way this will happen is if the faster and more talented players get the opportunity to make it happen..

martic#220796 writes:

I thought part of her(K's) limited playing time was because of asthma.

ModelMaker writes:

in response to martic#220796:

I thought part of her(K's) limited playing time was because of asthma.

Thats the way I understand it also. She could only go for so many minutes before she would get tired.

in response to underthehill:

Other than this game..Miko played her best game against Baylor..a quality opponent..We had a guy in high school who was an all american practice player who couldn't play a lick in games..works both ways..but when you have a talented player like Miko..you need her on the floor for one reason..she gives you the best chance to win ball games...go back and look at a replay of the Notre Dame game..look at the beginning when Miko was not on the floor..look at the score at the end of the half when she was on the floor..look at the the first 5 minutes starting the 2nd half when she was not on the floor..how many coaches have you heard say the first 5 minutes at the beginning and the first 5 minutes after the half will decide who wins..not always the case but is true the vast majority of time..Kamiko is clearly the leader of this team when she is on the floor..I believe this team has a chance to go undefeated in the SEC and maybe surprise in the big show..but for that to happen..the faster and more talented players are going to have to be given the chance to help..

It all goes back to the way the coach relates to the psychology of the players. It is easier, especially in college, for the coach to set the standard that the player must meet. The coach is the undisputed boss and the players are in a sense at her mercy. It takes a very skilled and self-confident coach to treat each player as an individual without giving other players a sense that the coach is playing favorites. If it is the case that Kamiko isn't visibly toeing the same lines that the other players have to respect, then it is a risk for the team as a whole to treat her differently. If the players can be OK with that, then the coach can do what is best for the individual without endangering team cohesion. Pat was perhaps the ultimate "system" coach and Holly is her protege in many ways. However, Holly has already shown a willingness to do things her way, even if she isn't slavishly copying Pat's model. Maybe she can find a way to get the most out of Kamiko without alienating the rest of the team. I guess we will see. Of course, all this is pure speculation in regard to the situation with THIS team at THIS time. The "Kamiko problem", if any, may be something else entirely.

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Nobody can, why do think Nolan Richardson's teams were never able to duplicate what his early 90's squads did? It's called 40 min of h3ll, but in reality it's 20 min of pressing strategically placed to make the opponent feel like they're under pressure to get the ball passed the timeline all game long. Also WBB doesn't use the 10 second rule to half court so pressing constantly in WBB usually leads to easy layups unless the team is very quick and keeps players back to guard against press failures. The old Pat Summitt teams would pick the right moment to press and trap the entry pass recipient in the corner or slap the pass away in the key. IMO, UT should press more especially when they have a quickness advantage like they did against Notre Dame.

That's a great point. Pressure defense has to pressure the opponent's minds as much as their bodies. Never knowing when the pressure will come is often more effective than pressing all the time. It was said that Bill Russell spoiled many times more shots than he blocked because players were always looking over their shoulders for him instead of concentrating on the basket. A team that can put the pressure on at any time, but not always, can put the same kind of pressure on opponents. I also agree with you that half-court trapping up against the front-court side of the mid-court line or in the corners is much more effective than full-court pressure in the women's game.

in response to SoddyVol:

Watching this game, I continued to be glad they were playing Miss State. They really needed a game where they had a chance to see what they can do, and will have to do, in replacing Harrison.

My young granddaughter said "That number 4 is a cool player", whatever that means? I think Kamikos problems started right to begin with. She may have thought she knew better how to play than the coaches. (Maybe with some urging from her dad, or so it was reported at the time.

I too remember hearing that Kamiko's dad was, um, rather free with his opinions regarding Kamiko and how she should be used. Maybe the back-and-forth between what she was hearing from Dad and what the coaches were telling her got her a little confused at times, or caused the coaches to wonder who she was listening to. I repeat, I don't have any inside info on this situation. I am just like everybody else on here, just watching, wondering, and guessing. I only want what is best for both Kamiko and the team.

underthehill writes:

in response to johnlg00:

John ..I think a lot of the speculation is fueled by the fact that Kamiko is so much better than several players who play more..and with this team ..at this time..fans..including me..are just going to have to think the coaching staff is going do what they need to do to give the team the best chance to win ball games ..and if that happens..I think they have a chance to go undefeated in the SEC..

Volinflan writes:

Although I am getting into this way late, John says

"I think a lot of the speculation is fueled by the fact that Kamiko is so much better than several players who play more..and with this team ..at this time..fans..including me..are just going to have to think the coaching staff is going do what they need to do to give the team the best chance to win ball games ..and if that happens..I think they have a chance to go undefeated in the SEC"

and I agree with him heartily. Just in my opinion, when Kamiko is playing her best ball, she is the best player on the team. But sometimes, it seems to me that she is not playing her best ball. This year she is. But sometimes, the first couple of years especially, she just wasn't always playing much. I mean like looking up into the stands when the ball was in play sort of thing, The coaches always have used the term "inconsistency". Maybe that is what they have talked about.

vol4life1983 writes:

in response to volsfaninsc:

Wiley-Gatewood different situation. Go back and see what little she did at Maryland. Never developed as supposedly had attitude problem.

I know what she did at Maryland. Injuries played a part in her career and since you asked me to do some research I assume you knew that already. But the situation really wasn't different...she played a style of ball that miko plays and their style of play was a big issue with sade as well as miko not just conditioning. And of course there is always two sides to a story, I have had the pleasure of conversing with sade several times about her personal experience at UT.

vol4life1983 writes:

in response to SoddyVol:

I respect your thoughts but I don't think that's the case...he, like many other fans are puzzled about her playing time. Miko and graves are UT's best players and she needs to be on the court. Pratice players do not win ball games.

vol4life1983 writes:

in response to ljlongtimevolfan:

I absolutely love your post! I remember saying some of the same things to a friend of mine...when massengale was named the starting point guard before she hit the campus. All I could remember thinking was man I hope Miko do not transfer! And to me carter has more potential than massengale as well but not rag on ariel because I do like her as a player, I just don't think she has lived up to the hype. But I don't think it's her fault maybe she was just ranked to high. For example, look at jones I think she came in as ranked 39 in her class but we all know she is going to be a star once she is not just relying on raw talent.

in response to Volinflan:

Although I am getting into this way late, John says

That was underthehill who posted the quote you cited, but both you and he make a good point. The thing with Kamiko seems to be that she doesn't produce at her best all the time. Of course, very few players do, hence the sense some have that Kamiko is not being treated the same as the other players. I doubt any of us have the "real" story about what is going on, so we can only look on and speculate. However, it is clear to me that she could be the "wild card" who fills the inside straight that the LVs need to come up with to do major damage in the post-season.

in response to vol4life1983:

I would be interested to learn more about Sade's experience at UT and at Maryland. There was an impression among many at the time that she somewhat resented all the attention given to Candace Parker since Sade was herself regarded as a player-of-the-year type when she came out. It don't know if it was that or just that she preferred a different style from the traditional LV style, or perhaps didn't fit in, in terms of personality, with the coaches and other players. Could you elaborate without violating any confidences?