Colliervol writes:

One more note on recruiting and I'm done. Congrats to Hugh Freeze. Pretty impressive job considering what he has to work with. Get back to me when they make their FIRST trip to Atlanta and I'll give them all sorts of kudos. I won't hold my breath.

djohnnyg writes:

ESPN -29TH
Sporting News- 23rd
Rivals- 20th
24/7 Sports-27th
Max Sports-24th

Looks like Rivals has UT the highest at # 20.

IF we could've gotten Bell it would've been a top 15 class...but it didn't happen. You could say "what if" all day long. It is what it is and CBJ lost that battle.

I'm sure he's disappointed. That would've been a major coup over Urban.

Disappointing that even Auburn was able to beat us out.

It could've been worse. Obviously CBJ is no schlep, but it's kind of a mixed bag at the end of the day.

Top 20 from Rivals is not horrible.

rb4346 writes:

in response to HaplessVol:

You would be a lot happier if you moved to Dallas, that way you could be close to Dooley. I feel like you are really under estimating Coach BJ, remainder of staff and these players. In case you don't know it all the SEC teams have cupckes as you call them on their schedules.

SeaBassHauling writes:

Let's tell it like this..........1st - they were able to keep everyone that really needed to be kept together in this class and.....2nd - there were concerns to keep a couple good players of need in....J. Carr, C. Sutton well done....!.....3rd - they were able to keep top recruits still interested in UT....5 star players Lawson, D. Green and V bs Vonn well done...! As they also interested several high profile players that were 4 star also well done...!....4th - they were able to flip a few players away from other teams of need...Dobbs, M. Brown and to be honest WOW I like both these players potential plus I like J. Millers potential.....tweeners...! Well Done....!.......NOW for low down side of things - 1 - they came up short on the DL. And OL. One position each....but there could be possibilities still out there that haven't signed yet....who knows if they would or not..... - 2 - at least one LB. short... Seriously that's all that's missing....Besides missing on the high profile players....I think the truth of the matter is basically it comes down TWO very Important factors with the big recruits they missed on.... - 1 - coaches didn't have enough time with them to get completely comfortable with them.....basically NEW COACHES... NEW TEAM...!!! AND here is the most important factor that no one has really ever mention....I know this team played bad last year under Dooley.!!! But the defense has potential with this one thing that I think could've bothered these five star players is................THE Senior Class....5 DL.s, 2 DE.s, 4 LB.s, 2 CB.s, and 2 safeties...!!! All who are seniors who have played in the SEC for three or more years....ALL STAR KIDS think they should play right off the bat and most are promised this....but they aren't dummies they are looking at depth charts before they decide...! 14 Seniors on defense with all of that time in weight room and on the field aren't gonna give up there spots to some five star NEWBIES.....!..........next year there gonna have to go hard on the D side......recruit...! Recruit...! D....! DL. At least TWO... DE.s TWO....LB.s FOUR....DB.s.....and on the O...side really needs are a great RB...! Probably TWO good to great OL. And that's about it the offense is in better shape fo the future except what they may or want in there offensive scheme.....also one final note I think those TWO TE.s they chose are gonna be very good...! Both are very athletic just need some time in the program.... :-)

GOJO writes:

in response to volfan007:

I'm beginning to think that we either have a bunch of ignorant, whiney babies as supposed Vol fans; or, we've got some fake Vol fans coming into these sights and running thier mouths...running down UT.

If you're a true Vol fan, then be positive and cheer the Vols on, instead of being a negative drain on the team!!

Orange Beach, I'm beginning to think that you're a Gator fan....

This newcomer (Jan. '13) appears to me to be a Bama Bum.

pcorange writes:

in response to UT2006:

no way to tell how good these young men are, if they will stay out of trouble and on the team or how they will pan out as college athletes, but all I can say is that on paper according to people who make a living making these lists, not too much to get excited about & once again we are in a wait and see mode... cant help but wonder if we would have had an Ole Miss kind of class if we had landed Coach Gruden

Probably not, because Gruden is not the caliber person that Hugh Freeze is.

djohnnyg writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I agree..The top 20 is looking way better than the top 50 which is exactly where UT was two weeks ago..if that's not great recruiting, I don't know what is. No team gained that much ground after falling so far down the ladder..CBJ and staff should be commended.

Good point.

I remember looking just last week at Rivals and UT was # 45.

Dooley couldn't coach up his higher classes, so maybe better coaching, scheming and motivation will lead UT to a surprise top 15 ranking before all is said and done in 2013.

UT is the #9 winningest program is college football history and gets alot of TV time even in these down yr's...we SHOULD be consistently in the top 10 of classes, but the SEC has become so competitive it's not as easy as it once was.

pcorange writes:

in response to HaplessVol:

Folks in the know, who track this stuff for the major recruiting services, say that a coach can't be judged on his first class because they haven't had time to build relationships with a lot of their new targets. Auburn is a little bit different because most of their recruits were already committed prior to Chizik being fired, and they hired Auburn's OC from the staff that won the NC only two years ago as the new HC. It has been 15 years since UT won the NC, so that is a little bit tougher sell coming off three losing seasons in a row and 4 coaches in five years.

So, let's not start firing Coach Jones before he ever coaches a game. Ignorant demands from ignorant fans is what got us to the point that no one wants to coach here.

I, for one, think Butch Jones did a damned good job this year. I think next year will be better because he will have had a year building relationships with 2014 recruits and will hopefully put a winning season together this fall.

brokendownoldvol writes:

How does Alabama always get 25-30 every yr. and Tn barely gets 20. I thought it was illegal to buy the most players now like Bama did in the 60 and 70"s.

brokendownoldvol writes:

in response to JonGrudensAgent:

About the only pluses for Jones in this class were holding onto,Ferguson, Harris, Reeves-Maybin and Carr.

Adding North, Sanders and Dobbs was pretty impressive as well.

Striking out on Bell, Lawson, Ford, Bellamy, Boyd,and Levenberry turned this class into a potential disaster though.

Beyond those guys mentioned earlier, Jones filled this class out with projects and players that had few if any offers from the big boys of the SEC.

And spare me the excuses of a limited time frame and losing seasons. Auburn and Mississippi are sitting pretty tonight with relatively unproven staffs and rough seasons in recent years.

They are just paying a lot less than what the Vols are to Jones and his "best staff in the country". Freeze is making 1.5 million less a season than Jones and Malzahn is making 7000,000 less.

You forget Auburn has a long history of buying it's players and probably still does.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to djohnnyg:

Good point.

I remember looking just last week at Rivals and UT was # 45.

The thing that impresses me with Butch Jones was the fact that he held off doling out scholly's..He could have given all 3 of his 3* walkon's scholarships and moved up the rankings to at least 16th or 17th. He didn't because he's looking out for UT's interest long term, not short term..Some coach's like Kiffin would sign a kid just because he's a 5 or a 4* recruit even though they are surplussed in a certain position. Those kind of coach's don't have the players or the university's best interest in mind. They are only trying to "Wow" the public into thinking they're the best top recruiter/coach in the nation. CBJ chose to do what was best for UT opposed to looking good in front of his peers. That my friend shows he's got integrity.

JonGrudensAgent writes:

We were extremely selective and we will continue to recruit,” Jones said.

Bell, Lawson, Ford, Bellamy, Boyd,and Levenberry were selective as well.

pcorange writes:

For those who thought Charlie Strong would be such an awesome recruiter, I noticed his 2013 class is ranked #57 nationally by Rivals. That comes even after he destroyed Florida in the Sugar Bowl. I still think God was watching over us when Strong turned us down.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to brokendownoldvol:

Yeah, they have mastered the gray-shirt recruiting, but I'm almost certain the NCAA did away with that practice last year or the year before. You have to give bammer credit, they find ways around any rule the NCAA can enforce.

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

Top 20 class! Way to go, CBJ!! GUys, this is HUGE!! I don't think even optimists like me could've predicted the success coach had. He snagged at least 8 commits from other schools! No, we didn't get bell, but at least he's not going to another SEC school! Chin up, Vol Nation, the boys are back!

brokendownoldvol writes:

in response to claiborneh:

Alabama #1 class 5 times out of 6 years.
3 out of 4 National Championships.
Please let's not debate anymore about how critical it is to get 4 and 5 stars.

A 5 star coach sure helps too. Fulmer recruited like that and under achieved horribly.

brokendownoldvol writes:

in response to Colliervol:

I smell another probation for Ole Miss. Happens every time they have a good recruiting yr.

whatthe84 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I agree, this class is really better than we could have ever expected. CBJ was in a hole to begin with and he made the best out of the situation. The RB we signed could turn out to be a diamond in the rough. I know he is not very big maybe the size of Devrin Young or a little bigger. He is from SC and we have had good kids from SC before so he could be a big help this coming year. The Dobbs kid looks pretty impressive and the WR from NC was pretty impressive. All in all I view this as lighting the fuse so to speak the CBJ era has begun and we will see the results come this spring...can't wait. Stellar would be my assessment. GBO!

Vol1983 writes:

in response to JBVols1698:

You are NOT. You want the truth, you got it idiot. Now shut it, and go cry somewhere else you pea brained dwarf.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to pcorange:

Me too PC..I was actually sick to my stomach at the thought of Charlie roaming the sidelines on Shields Watkins field. Not because he can't coach, but the simple fact he's so boring, his team is boring. That would have been about as exciting as the 08' Clawfense..Thank you for staying at the Ville.

djohnnyg writes:

in response to pcorange:

Wow. I didn't even think to look that up. That's a surprise.

The thing that works against Louisville is lack of national exposure...which makes their season last yr even more impressive.

UT really needs some big wins this yr. Florida would be huge. If we're ranked in the top 20 than it seems like it might be possible, although rankings are just opinions, there's a reason they pan out so often.

Dooley didn't have a single "signature" win. Kinda sad really.

brokendownoldvol writes:

in response to DwayneElizondoMountainDewHerbertCamacho:

How true! You gotta feel really bad for Nick Saban. They signed three 5 star players and fourteen 4 star players. God...I feel so bad for him having to deal with all those prima donnas.

Remember that five star kid, Eric Berry, that UT signed? Gaaawd! How horrible was he?!? All he did was expect everything be given to him on a silver platter. I think I can speak for all Vols fans when I say that it was sooooo good to get him off the team. Because UT is not interested in all that flashy 5 star mess.

Nope. We're going to go to the SEC championship because we signed a bunch of hard working 3 stars (because all three stars grew upon a farm doing chores before football practice and love God and love America and love milk). Just like Mississippi State or Missouri or Kentucky...all teams chock full of good, ol'fashioned three start talent.

Yep...really glad that we didn't get Von Bell or Lawson or any of those losers.

I also remember the Brooks, Nukesses and McDonalds, Boldens.....on and on.

jhncpps1 writes:

in response to JBVols1698:

Right now Butch Jones is 0-0...This time next year we will see the direction that this program is headed in. Look at the jump Ole Miss took in the second year under Freeze. Who's to say that we won't be in the same position as them next year. Its way too early to be predicting what will happen for UT this season. We don't know how good this coaching staff is/isn't until games start being played. Looking Forward to September. Go Vols

hueypilot writes:

in response to JonGrudensAgent:

We were extremely selective and we will continue to recruit,” Jones said.

Bell, Lawson, Ford, Bellamy, Boyd,and Levenberry were selective as well.

I checked and I've been following this thread since 2007. Lotsa posts, lostsa reads. But a few months ago I dropped ten bucks a month and went to the pay site 247 vols. Amazing. Ten bucks keeps Camacho alonzo and those of his ilk away. I see some voices of reason like CollierVol, SA Vol and a few others, but many have left, given up or gotten tired of reading all the blather about Fulmer got Johnny fired, Fulmer shouldn't have gotten fired, Hamilton sabotaged the program, Cheeks and Hart are really Florida or Alabama spies and are being paid to wreck the program etc. etc. ad nauseum. For those of you who are interested, Go Vols!

AZ_Vol writes:

in response to traderjoe:

Dobbs is certainly a great recruit. Talent, brains, and character. Nothing to complain about here and the fact that we were able to steal him away from Arizona says someone on the staff can recruit and knows how to close a deal.

Indeed.

To be able to reach out and get a good QB pretty much committed to a school out west is heartening.

I'm also glad to hear about the drive and commitment to getting O and D linemen.

dvols writes:

thanks coach!!! great job!!

You had 31 legal days to solidify your first recruiting class!!! And you got the #1 quarterback class in the Niation!

This will pay off in 2015!!! BIG!

Sorry that the TN morons thought they would sign a top 2 class this year and win it all next year!

Some of us got ya back Coach Jones!!

just sayin!

claiborneh writes:

in response to tulelakevol:

Well....we will know in a couple of years how good this class really is.

You already know now. About 11th in the SEC

lstbodeanvol writes:

GO VOLS AND GO COACH JONES !!!! DONT RECRUIT ANYONE BY THE NAME JEFF FLOWERS JR..HE WILL BE A DUD TOO

volthrunthru#658770 writes:

in response to Orange_Beach:

"Selective", really. Butch took what scraps he could after the big boys were done and Ewe know it. Same ole same ole. What about the need for running backs?

Wish I did not agree with you, but I do.

I want nothing more in sports than UT to sign one of the top two or three classes...of the kind of character both Jones and Dooley claim/claimed to be signing.

orangevagabond writes:

Blah Blah Blah. SHUT UP.

brokendownoldvol writes:

Hey Bell haven't you heard? The Big !0 svcks and Ohio State is an outlaw program on probation. How much did they pay your mom?

orangecountyvols writes:

Jack Lail,

Don't you think it's about time to step in and deal with this troll, Wilted Flowers?

This guy has run his pathetic course with whining about former Vols, Karl Kremser, Glenn Ford, and Derek Dooley, who is no longer the coach, yet this character is so obsessed with those 3 individuals that he won't give it up,
always sticking former true Vol athletes in his screen name.

For the integrity of this site, it's time to clean the house.

volthrunthru#658770 writes:

in response to Vol1968:

I'd rather have hard working 3 star rated guys then prima donna's who think there is an "I" in TEAM. Go VOls.

Pssst. Uh...hey...over here, '68.

Several of those 3-stars were 2-stars the Athletics Department went in and sold the recruiting services on rating upward.

Most importantly, I like your idealism; but it works in places like Carson-Newman, a lot better than places like Florida, LSU, Bama or SC, where their Prima Donnas have been kicking our axxes for year after year after year...since Fulmer left.

bigorangesux writes:

in response to Vol1968:

Looks like you got what you wanted.
The rest of the SEC will take the 5 start prima donnas.

orangevagabond writes:

Basketball is so irrelevant that it doesn't even merit an article until the next day. John Ward used to say Bottom when we hit a basket. Now it's bottom of the heap. Oh, and today was national signing day. I almost forgot.

claiborneh writes:

in response to dvols:

thanks coach!!! great job!!

This will pay off in 2015!!! BIG!

Some of us got ya back Coach Jones!!

just sayin!

Yes, because every championship team needs a three star plus one four star quarterback instead of one five star?You can have the Riley kid with the ridiculous rose tats and punk ear rings on his adolescent body. However I really like this Dobbs kid. He is very mature grounded, clean cut and smart and polite. I think Dobbs has a bright future, and tremendous upside. His potential as a pro-style with dual threat capable speed is exciting.

dvols writes:

hey moron vol fans Chill!!

a few more players will be signed in the next few months!

chillin chuck!

brokendownoldvol writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Thanks GlennFordsFumble, you just said it all. I can go to bed.

VOLinTX writes:

Welcome to all the new Volunteer players. I really hope you all do well in football and academics. The number of stars attached to a player do not represent the heart of the player. However it does represent physical attributes and past performance. Some of these 3-4* may turn into big time players. Some big time names(*) would be nice but it is what it is.
I suppose being patient is the name of the game but I'm getting older and would like to see some major improvement in the games very soon.
Waiting for the games before final judgment on the class & coaches.

orangevagabond writes:

Wake me up in 2016 and let me know if things are better.

eduardo writes:

Jones only signed 12 players you bunch of koolaid drinkers. The other 9 were mid term enrollees that Doolander was after. I think Ford is right after 3 yrs we will be doing this all again! It was a critical juncture in UT Athletics and the powers that be totally botched it!

Prostar writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Add to that the fact he would have brought along his DC who has a checkered past at Miami and the NCAA has not finished that probe. We don't need the NCAA back on our doorstep for any reason so I'm glad Charley stayed in Looeyville. And as far as Bell goes, when his HS team played for the State Championship at the Dome, both Alabama and The Ohio State were there. UT was not represented so CBJ had too much ground to make up. Most of the former staff quit recruiting back in the fall. And for those that wanted Jimbo Fisher, after winning the ACC and the Orange Bowl he lost 6 coaches and replaced his DC with an unknown with no qualifications as a coordinator, hired Sal Sunseri (good riddance) and hired Randy Sanders as his running backs coach. I still think we're better off.

claiborneh writes:

in response to brokendownoldvol:

I agree about underachieving. But Fulmer did not recruit the number 1 class 5 out of six years. He did have some good help like Garner, Lovie, and Kippy in years when other schools were down and kids from Ga, SC, LA spurned their state for Knoxville

GloryDays writes:

in response to claiborneh:

Alabama #1 class 5 times out of 6 years.
3 out of 4 National Championships.
Please let's not debate anymore about how critical it is to get 4 and 5 stars.

Exactly right! You aren't going to win the Kentucky Derby with a plow horse.

dvols writes:

home sweet home to me!

798orange writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

The regular complainer strikes again. Who pays you to write this junk? Worst post of the day, not the first time and probably not the last. Before you throw out another mindless insult at Hart, check the athletic performance at FSU while he was there. They won numerous titles in several sports, including football. Jones has won at all the places he has been. You sound like a spoiled kid who lashes out and blames everyone else when he does not get his way. This staff had to play catchup and bust their butts just to get the quality class we got today, for which they should get credit for. Enough of the same old constant moaning and whining.

BillsBrother writes:

in response to hueypilot:

Amen, Huey. Reading this site has become painful at times.

TheFuj writes:

Good recruiting class--if were in the MAC.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to pcorange:

Knew this to be true..Strong hasn't had many classes better than #35..I don't know how he wins games.ESPN has us at #29 but we are in good company..Mighty Oregon #26..Okie State #27 and Stanford #40

TheFuj writes:

in response to pingkr62:

If anyone is interested, RIVALS.COM lists, and ranks all Division 1 recruiting classes from 1-112. Take time to look at some of the schools who were ranked well behind Tennessee. It makes a 20 or 21 ranked class look pretty good. G.B.O.!!!

Problem is the teams ranked ahead of TN is the teams we play.

Recruiting is not a exact science, but definitely better to have more 4 and 5 stars than 2 and 3 stars. Always will be the exception and the busts, but recruiting has to get in the top 10 for the next few years.