ModelMaker writes:

in response to underthehill:

Now that Harrison is injured..the best 5 are obviously Graves, Burdick, Williams, Massengale and Simmons and I think Holly is beginning to see it because they were on the floor when the game was on the line..Williams may have more rebounds per minutes on the floor than any player..6 in this game..Burdick is a good rebounder..and Jones appears to me to be very physical..but when they are playing teams with more height.. Graves is getting roughed up..I still think they have the talent to win the SEC..and I think that Burdick getting healthier will be one of the keys..she can go to the free throw line area against the zone..as she did last night..and find the open spot to pass to or shoot if left open...this is the key position on offense against a zone..good that LSU did not hit the free throws..but not good to count on that to win..beat the odds on this one..

Good Post. I see it pretty much the same way. The Lady Vols are a good basketball team. I think these kids have a lot of "True Grit". They won me over when they went down to Miami and beat them on their own floor.

volsgirl writes:

in response to 45ReVOLver:

Agree.

jt45 writes:

in response to DICK_MASTERSON_N_TENN:

What is wrong with you folks? I just created my account 2 days ago. I have been following the LVs for years.

Sounds like you need to get a life there Rudy!

Looks like Element_days/Cowpatty_cattlemen is back
with a first name that actually fits him.

How many accounts does that make for you now ? Im sure any number between 6 and 10 would be close. Nice job on the comedy by the way.

underthehill writes:

in response to Theo:

That was an untypical rebounding performance by JJ. She usually has 6 or 7 in limited minutes.

Right..rebounding and defense are JJ's strenths..and she does both very well...

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to jt45:

Looks like Element_days/Cowpatty_cattlemen is back
with a first name that actually fits him.

Yeah its actually comical how "Dick" tries to act like he only joined Feb 6

I didn't get to see the game since CSS isn't on TWC in my area, but it surely sounded like the LVs were getting the short end of the stick on the foul calls. It is possible to play tough defense without a lot of fouling, but it surely helps if your physical plays aren't called as fouls and the opponent's are.

Huge props to Bashaara for hanging in there against LSU's bigs. If she isn't the SEC Freshman of the Year, there's not a cow in Texas. Big ups also to Kamiko for a solid performance even when hobbled.

Agree with those who think Holly could stand to be a little more demonstrative when the officiating seems one-sided. Also agree that she might be a little freer in calling her own timeouts. However, contrary to a misconception some seem to have, each team only gets five of their own TOs for a whole game. It's not like football where each team gets three per half that can't be carried over. If you use a TO in the first half, that is one you DON'T have later in the game.

One would hope that the LVs could cut down some of these unforced turnovers someday soon. With no more players than they have right now, it can't be said that the ones they have don't play together enough to be confident about which players want the ball where and to throw and catch passes with a purpose.

All in all, I would have to say that the team has exceeded expectations with all the changes and adversity they have had to deal with. I don't see them threatening for a national title this year, but they have enough room for improvement that if they could tighten up in just a few basic areas, they might be more dangerous than some may think right now. As for next year, the fact that Mercedes Russell is one of the three top candidates for HS player of the year is a very good sign indeed. The future is very bright for this proud program. I expect to see a couple of nice big new banners hung in the next few years.

soitgoes12 writes:

Anyone that doesn't think the officiating played a role in this game, didn't watch the game.

r2d2 writes:

The LVs cannot win the SEC unless Nia Moore can give some help to Graves in the post. Holly needs to place her in the starting lineup. If she plays well they have a chance for SEC. If she does not play well, then they do not have a chance to win SEC. The LVs were lucky to win LSU game despite the heroics of Graves and Simmons. They need post help.

RLL59 writes:

in response to soitgoes12:

Have you ever read a post here from a Lady Vol fan that thought the Lady Vols got the better of the calls? We see it always from the TN perspective. People comment on the refs when all they have is the radiocast by local announcers. I figure if I'm not yelling at the refs sometime during the game, it must not be too bad. Last night they let the teams play (26 total) fouls and while there were several more on the Lady Vols, I really only jumped the one time they called the charge on Ariel (but, no, it wasn't in the circle). Thankfully, one they didn't call was on the last shot of the game, where it was questionable from the television angle as to whether Ariel knocked the shooter down.

DICK_MASTERSON_N_TENN (Inactive) writes:

in response to VolFanInTheBoro:

Yeah its actually comical how "Dick" tries to act like he only joined Feb 6

Get a life Dude. I am hear to discuss UT sports. Sadly enough the one program that has always been good is on the decline. Just think HW is way in over Her head. She doesnt seem to grasp the flow of the game well. Cant believe she lost to Mizzou after blowing them out earlier.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

First, a comment about Meighan. It has been said that she can't play defense. Well, thank her for her quickness at the end tipping that in bound LSU pass that led to the steal. Plus, her ever present hustle and deadly shot which is usually right on target.

Basketball is truly an emotional and momentum changing game. Look how Indiana ( the much better team ) had that game with Illinois get away from them. Then, at the very end of that game, the Illini stole victory from the jaws of defeat......same as last night's Lady Vols game. So much happened at the end.....Plaisance missing the front end of the one and one that would have iced the game. Then, Burdick missing the first, but hitting her 2nd free throw, to make it look like overtime at the time. Next up was the steal and Simmons' plus Bashara's heroics.

Finally, amazing how LSU with .9 could throw it in and still almost hit a 3 at the other end.......right at the buzzer.

We all saw the lazy passes, the blocked shots and balls essentually taken right out of our hands, but this never quit attitude paid off for the Lady Vols. We kinda' wish that same approach to the games was there for the guys.

soitgoes12 writes:

I personally think that WCBB officiating is horrible all the way around. They usually try and even up bad calls with more bad calls. But in a physical back and forth close game, where I don't think Tennessee wa settling for ouside shots, the foul disparity up until the last 2 possessions was 14-6 in favor of lsu. LSU had 2 fouls in the 2nd half with 3 minutes to play. You can say I'm being biased all you want, but there is no way you can explain that disparity. If you are going to let them Maul Graves inside (she could have had at least 4 or 5 and 1 oppurtunities with all the contact). And I would be fine with them allowing that contact inside if they weren't calling Bashara on the other end (she had to sit out part of the 1st half with 2 fouls) and ended up with 4. If you are going to let the play go, you can't call ticky tack touch fouls on the other end. There were several questionable calls on defense against Simmons and a really quesionable charge on Spani in the first half. So I stand by my statement that officiating played a large role last night. Luckily LSU missed their free throws down the stretch to give us an oppurtunity to win the game.

underthehill writes:

in response to johnlg00:

John..I watched this game on ESPN3..I have both and did watch the beginning on CSS..I then switched to watching the Lady Vols on ESPN3 on my computer screen ..26"..and watched other games on ESPN and ESPN 2 on the Charter cable..if you get ESPN3 on your cable..should have been able to get the Lady Vols game..I have got it before by going to utsports.com..as for expectations..I may have based mine on what I see in their talent level..I think they can win the SEC even with the injuries..if Miko and Burdick get going 100%..

soitgoes12 writes:

Watching the game on espn3 was awful last night. NOt that getting to see the game was awful, but the commentators were so pro LSU I had to mute it and listen to the radio.

soitgoes12 writes:

And to me, Kamiko is one of our best 5, with or without Harrison.

Theo writes:

in response to DICK_MASTERSON_N_TENN:

Gosh, we are all just shocked,shocked that a "long time vol fan" such as yourself would
1) proclaim a very young team, tied for first in the SEC with the number 1/2 recruiting class coming in next year as a program in decline.
2) declare Holly in over her head, not grasping the flow of the game and that she, I guess personally, lost the Mizzou game. Regardless of facts like Taber Spani (academic all american) saying after the game that the team just seemed to ignore the defensive game plan. Regardles of facts like CHW did indeed also put together the game plan that led to the aforementioned blow out win.
3)ignored the point of the article, a hard fought win on the opponents court.
Nope I can defintely see that you are not the bovine bozo. Definitely.

in response to golfman1975:

I watched the game also...what do you call a foul?
We go hammered inside with slaps on the arms going up for shots and their guards used the bump and grind all night. I ask again...how can an SEC team play for 39 min and 45 sec with only 7 total fouls?

My kid plays the game.

LSU did not foul, thus they sucked on defense.

Good defensive teams will get called for fouls. Bad ones will not.

emailnodata (Inactive) writes:

Johnlg, if you have espn3, you can watch the replay.

Don't know if you trust my judgment, but LSU is not a good defensive team...and thus the easy game for Graves and the poor D they played all night long.

Anyone bringing refereeing into this is nuts. They got maybe 1 or 2 home-cooking type calls, but, by and large, an evenly-called game.

golfman1975 writes:

in response to DICK_MASTERSON_N_TENN:

Lucky win. Its sad how far the Lady Vol program has fallen.

Listen Dick...the real story is how far YOU have fallen...how is life in the stupid pit?

in response to soitgoes12:

Total bull. They called the momentum of the game, which is their job.

LSU was the underdog, playing their hearts out at home. Their PG had an injured knee and could barely stay on the floor.

That was a helluva effort by the Tigers....maybe acknowledge it??

The LV's played a good enough game to beat a team that had offensive momentum the entire 2nd half.

Maybe be happy instead of harping on refs and commentators and the like.

golfman1975 writes:

in response to maxvolfan#217855:

Please explain to us Dick how the women's basketball program had fallen with championships the past three decades (80s,90s,00s ) , still the best recruits year round(#1 player this yr) still winning SEC titles, still in the top 25 every year, still have the most TV exposure, still graduates 100% of there players, still has the highest attendance, still leading the SEC in wins, on the road to two or more NC.
Dont even respond . You have nothing. #stillTenn

He calls himself Dick...says volumes....

in response to martic#220796:

A healthy Izzy would help tremendously. Hope she's back before tournament. KY and A&M were both pushed last night.

Gee, just a couple of years ago Massengale was the next savior.

Wonder when people will learn that the hype is mostly just that, hype??

Look at Gaves this season. Good player, fine year. Do not be surprised if next gets a lot harder for her. Teams will know her weakness, her coaches will ride her more, on and on.

Point is....UT's trying to develop a solid 9-girl rotation of so. When they get there, you won't be talking about 'saviors', you'll be saying "man, that's some great teamwork out there'.

golfman1975 writes:

in response to soitgoes12:

I mentioned it and got shouted down...LSU had 7 fouls TOTAL for the GAME with 15 sec left. Then they called 3 fouls in 7 sec when LSU needed to foul. The bigs got slapped under the goal all night and the guards got bumped all night. These people must be blind in one eye and can't see in the other...trolls.

DICK_MASTERSON_N_TENN (Inactive) writes:

in response to maxvolfan#217855:

Dont even respond . You have nothing. #stillTenn

YOur response explains my position on the program. Tennessee was once in the run for the NC every year, now the fans are bragging about SEC titles and being in the top 25. Yeah, I would say decline.

golfman1975 writes:

in response to RLL59:

Shut up...you are making yourself look even more stupid. You said several more fouls...seriously? LSU played man most of the night. When you only have 7 total fouls for the game with 15 sec left that says it all. Then they call 3 fouls in 7 sec when LSU needed to foul. We had 16. It was so obvious...

golfman1975 writes:

in response to DICK_MASTERSON_N_TENN:

Now DICK. Playing 7 players and still on top of the SEC after being picked 5th? Is it meth or crack? There is help for you issues.

madrigal writes:

in response to jt45:

Looks like Element_days/Cowpatty_cattlemen is back
with a first name that actually fits him.

Maybe the rest of us should petition KNS to send him back to his troll hole for good. It's not that hard to trace IP numbers.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to soitgoes12:

soitgoes,

I hear ya' friend. I will say this, and I'm sure most of us agree with this......officials do get caught up with the emotions of a game.

Especially favoring the home crowd. We've seen let's say football. A long pass down field, and it may not even be pass interference, but the crowd is desperate for a break, and suddenly there's a lot of screaming for a flag. Nothing happens right then, but what seems like an eternity, the crowd is yelling for it, and there it is.......the ref reaches in his pocket for the flag and he throws it. It has happened to favor every team, even Tennessee, from time to time.

Look at the Lady Vols games on the road. How often do you even see a 3 seconds in the lane called? Yet, it has been called when the L V's have been on the road, more than once.
Plus, the infamous charging calls. I wouldn't want to be a ref ! Look at all the contact resulting in fouls when shooting......resulting in a 3 point play. Some are clean blocks and referees have been known to call that a foul, or vice versa.

It seems they are looking a lot at people hacking you when shooting, and watching the hands.........but there is also body contact, so the bottom line is........kind of like holding in football........they can call it anytime they feel like it.......same as in basketball !

DICK_MASTERSON_N_TENN (Inactive) writes:

in response to madrigal:

How sad of a Person are you that you cant take criticism? Sad...

Ill let you take shots and I will talk about the LV program.

Let me guess, you probably never diciplined your Kids either.

jt45 writes:

in response to Theo:

3)ignored the point of the article, a hard fought win on the opponents court.
Nope I can defintely see that you are not the bovine bozo. Definitely.

I really think this is his best username to date, dont you ? Its already comical seeing everyone reply to him on a first name basis. With him being such a long time fan and all he shouldnt mind right ?

Looking forward to many of Dicks future post wich should be good for a laugh now and then.

Since our LVs are on decline (insert laughter)!@Dick is a real comedian.

Any thought on the Texas A&M matchup ? I haven't seen those girls play this year but their Coach Gary Blair is a sly old dog and it should be a good game.

dwolfcreek#397971 writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Graves definately is the SEC freshman of the year.

Your right , also 1st team SEC .

in response to golfman1975:

Or maybe you just don't really understand the game.

It's amazing: LSU played a good game, the LV's still won, and all your type can do is belitle the win by crying over the refs.

"Slapped all night long??" Gimme a fricking break. Our posts mostly dominated on offense WHEN our guards could get them the ball.

Neither UT nor LSU are great defensive teams. UT got called for more fouls because they literally grabbed and held the shooter's arms.

soitgoes12 writes:

ah, emailnodata is an lsu fan. It makes more sense now.

The commentators obviously knew nothing about the Tennessee team. They went on and on about how LSU was overcoming adversity beause they had 1 player out. Must be nice, only having 1 player injured playing at home. They were huge homers. Unbelievably so. The only injury they mentioned was Burdick's and that was in passing. They also called Massengale the vocal and emotional leader of Tennessee. They were a joke. And so were the officials. That doesn't take anything away from LSU's or Tennessee's effort. Both teams played hard, and LSU probably deserved to win. But enough with telling us to be objective when you obviously aren't. The officials were bad last night, and the commentators were worse. I never thought I would listen to a play by play announcer I liked less than Joe Ciampi, but I found one.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

in response to DICK_MASTERSON_N_TENN:

Really Dick? Name one team Pro or college that is in the running for a Superbowl , worldseries, etc, etc every year? Is the Patriots a team on the decline or Uconn? Maybe UK (men)since they haven't won it only like 2 times the past 5 yrs. What are you saying Dick? If the lady Vols don't make the final four every year then they are on the decline? You must be a immature college student that sits around and beat teams on the rookie level on Madden or something. So let me school you on your 2 year knowledge of women's basketball and teams on the decline.
Old Dominion once a great team program declined-still a proud program
La Tech good team , not anymore
USC good team , middle of the road
Texas great teams, on the decline
Oklahoma on the decline
Tennessee - still the winningest program in women bball
Oh and all the other things I said about them in my earlier post.
So what are u saying man? Are you saying Uconn is on the decline since they haven't won a NC recently? ND only won one. Are they on the decline. Stanford? Duke? They never won one.

in response to soitgoes12:

ah, emailnodata is an lsu fan. It makes more sense now.

Uh, yeah, LSU fan.

Whatever. Do what you want; the whining certainly reflects well on the modern fan base.

Theo writes:

in response to jt45:

Since our LVs are on decline (insert laughter)!@Dick is a real comedian.

There are folks on here who are very knowledgable about basketball and can give you a real breakdown on the Aggies. I am not one of those folks but I can tell you that I was very impressed with Bone. She is big and skilled underneath. BG will have her hands full and it would be good if we could get her some help eg Nia Moore. Hope we get a lead on old Miss so we can get NM and JP some minutes. We need them.
Agree Gary Blair is a sly old dog, left the SEC so he wasn't constantly running up against Pat, Andy and LSU and look where he ended up.

in response to Theo:

I'd not use Graves on Bone (halloween??).

Burick is much less valuable of offense...so use her and Moore to harass Kelsey. Bone is just a bigger version of Phaisance (sp).

The big question will be if Graves can get Bone 1-v-1 enough to use her quickness. Graves has the advantage of being a quick 6-2 with good knees. Bones has the advantage of size. UT needs to get Graves some room to maneuver.

@theo
BTW, over the years, johnlg is about the sharpest basketball mind on here. Mostly really objective.

We don't always agree, but john always gives a logical rebuttal.

Theo writes:

in response to emailnodata:

@theo

We don't always agree, but john always gives a logical rebuttal.

Totally agree johnig is very good. Good point about Bone and giving BG space to work. Burdick has really developed a nice mid-range jumper though. Maybe we could rotate Burdick and Graves high low. When Holly calls to ask my thoughts I be sure to mention that - LOL!

in response to Theo:

@theo...
it's the beauty of being a fan. no one will fire your butt if you're wrong :0)

emailnodata (Inactive) writes:

For anyone who missed the game and has access to espn3.com...

Just search for 'tennessee' with your browser find.

The last 10 minutes are highly entertaining.

golfman1975 writes:

in response to emailnodata:

Uh, yeah, LSU fan.

His opinion is spot on...we don't care what you think. My suggestion to you is...watch the replay with the announcers...watch the fouls you ignored. Tell all of us what you disagree with and why. If you were a fan you wouldn't post your phooey.

You fit the TROLL description...

Volinflan writes:

in response to Theo:

You are correct. I checked the stats. She has been getting 4 rebounds per 16 minutes. That's real good. My bad!

golfman1975 writes:

in response to emailnodata:

Or maybe you just don't really understand the game.

How long have you been a fan of the Lady Vols? I saw my first game in 1982 with USC and the Lady Vols...the regional finals of the NCAA. So I followed when it wasn't cool. I think I posted an observation which was related to the game...so what! If do not need to defend my position on anything I post and am tired of being told I don't understand the game. Yeah...you are a real fan. We won the game and played with only 7 players. It is absolutely amazing what they have accomplished this year since they were picked to finish 5th in the conference. It would have been nice to see more zone from the LV's last night to save some legs and maybe disrupt their flow in the game. We didn't cut off the drives that set up their bigs several times. We should have set more screens...pick and roll or kick it out. We shot about 45% for the game so it was more of a poor defensive effort than offensive problem. The poor defensive effort could be due to the lack of depth which causes the team to be less aggressive. Rebounding was also a weakness. If we can get healthy our inside game will improve, no doubt. The young players will only get better as the season goes forward.

Volinflan writes:

in response to volboy81:

I dont get CSS with DirecTV, so I couldnt watch it...but I listened to Mickey on the radio. I counted 3 flops from LSU that he thought were blatant and fooled the refs (thats not hard to do!) Its no wonder LSWho only had 4 fouls called on them through the first 19:30 of the 2nd half...they kept calling them on UT! I thought we were cooked when it was 62-59. These gals deserve a LOT of credit for hanging in there and snatching victory from the jaws of defeat! Mickey said if we lost, it would be the first time since 1983-84 that we had lost back-to-back games to unranked teams. WOW!! So glad we were able to avoid that little asterick! I like Baashara better and better each game. She is a player who hustles and doesnt give up. Cant wait til next year when Izzy & Russell are in there with her. Talk about unstoppable! Great win girls..see you Sunday vs. Ole Myth!

I'm glad someone else mentioned the "flopping". I just watched the game again today and if it was the NBA someone would be paying the "flopping" fine. A couple of them were blatant. One of the girls was running down the court with JJ and when JJ got close to her she threw back her hands and acted as if to fall back. Do we think Nikki is teaching that kind of basketball? Even the announces (paid by the LSU sports program and that's OK) mentioned the "charge taking" propensity.

Volinflan writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Vols,

I'm telling you right now, IMHO without Simmons we would have gotten beaten by 20 points. While others are standing clapping their hands and waiting for a pass, Simmons is moving, moving and moving. Even when she doesn't get the pass or take the shot she keeps the entire opponents team busing trying to keep up with her. This causes opportunity for the rest of the team. The hand clapping doesn't. Without Simmons this would be a 50/50 team.

Volinflan writes:

in response to soitgoes12:

ah, emailnodata is an lsu fan. It makes more sense now.

Someone that knows more than I do correct me. I can take it. I believe that there is a team of commentators that are sort of resident in locations that hire out to smaller broadcasters such as CSS or ESPN3. Go to Georgia and watch/listen to a ESPN3 broadcast of a game done in Knoxville. It'll sound a lot like a home court advantage. You'll see the same with CSS broadcasts. Shoot the TV people were not nearly as one sided as Mickey Dearstone is. But yea, I suspect they were based in LA.

SoddyVol writes:

in response to Volinflan:

Mickey Dearstone broadcasts FOR the Lady Vols. One would expected him to be for the Vols. The CSS or ESPN people should make an effort to be as neutral as they can be.

in response to SoddyVol:

soddy, true, but I used to love John Ward because he was "fair" to the other teams...and the most he would say about a ref??

"well, I don't know...."

in response to golfman1975:

Nah, "dude" what you NEED to do is get a grip on the whining over refs. Sorry, but as you said, UT's guards got beat off the dribble...thus the fouls. They also missed on rotations...and more fouls. Remember Simmons just grabbing an arm in desperation? Graves getting the box-out foul on the jump-shooter?? 4 easy ft's there...

as for how long I've been a fan, since before WBB got really going and while Pat was an olympian. How that's any of your damn bIz I have no idea.

My point still stands: crying over the refs in this game is pointless, the LV's got a fair shake. Maybe, what, 6 ft's difference, 6-7 fouls??

LSU isn't Rupp.